Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The harsh truth is that the next General Election is in May 20

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

If only we Brits didn't hate foreigners so much a deal would be easy-peasy.

And while we're on the subject, at what point do we deem people who have been living abroad foreigners? Two generations? Two years?

On average it takes them two months to become more British than the people who live here.
    And your evidence for this?

Of course there is none.
    You realise it's a joke? Please tell me you realise it's a joke.
    William lives in a world, as far as I can tell, where the beat of a butterfly's wings in Papua New Guinea leads down a thought process flow chart, which always goes to a big box at the bottom marked "REMAIN". He's just about refrained for five days from announcing that TM is about to ask for a second referendum, since she stood up on national TV from No 10 and said she wouldn't last Friday, but I note that Sajid Javid, saying the same thing yesterday led straight down the box to "he doesn't mean it".

Frankly, no I don't realise it's a joke coming from the source it did, and I doubt it is. It's, to me at least, yet another smug barb, and I pride myself on having a pretty good sense of the absurd. Most of the time.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    Terrible for her
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

PeterC said:

Indeed. Parliament is sovereign (and always has been, as we know). It could hold a referendum next Friday were it so minded.

Not really. The problem is the wording rather than the timing and the debates on that will be extraordinary
    I suspect that if we are forced into an emergency referendum it will be either remain or no deal. So the wording of that will not be difficult. Parliament could put the wording of the question into the legislation.
    The two most extreme options. I doubt it would come to that. In the event of stalemate I think the government would sue for EFTA / EEA - at least we could say we have left the EU/.
    It's hard to see May being able to grovel to the EU for an EEA arrangement after all she has said - it would be personally and politically an abject humiliation. If it came to such an eventuality I think the whole Idea of Brexit would be brought into question and pressure would build for a complete reversal.
    No it would open the splits further and merely bolster Brexiteers' view of the EU as malign (in that case).
    The 40 or so ultra Brexiteers risk losing everything if they are not careful. They are a small group in the HOC
    I meant the voters.
    I agree the voters will be livid one way or another
    It does point rather towards another referendum. Either way, get the voters to dip their hands in the blood. No arguing over "this isn't the Brexit we voted for".

But the Conservative voters (who are most motivated to leave) don't want to risk leaving at all, so they'll want an exit with no further vote right up until things turn to ratshit, at which point, they'll turn on the Tories faster than you can say "hang on, what?", and blame them for everything.

May has a number of options, all of them terrible.
    I wondered where the SNP deep down sits in all of this.

I'm sure they are quite happy making noises about revoking A50 through Parliament, but have they actually called for a second referendum?

And do they really want to set that precedent? Genuine question, I don't know.
    Their stance is a bit equivocal. They're not calling for one, but have said they "wouldn't stand in the way" of one.
    Hmmmmmm.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    welshowl said:

Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

And while we're on the subject, at what point do we deem people who have been living abroad foreigners? Two generations? Two years?

On average it takes them two months to become more British than the people who live here.

Of course there is none.
    William lives in a world, as far as I can tell, where the beat of a butterfly's wings in Papua New Guinea leads down a thought process flow chart, which always goes to a big box at the bottom marked "REMAIN". He's just about refrained for five days from announcing that TM is about to ask for a second referendum, since she stood up on national TV from No 10 and said she wouldn't last Friday, but I note that Sajid Javid, saying the same thing yesterday led straight down the box to "he doesn't mean it".

Frankly, no I don't realise it's a joke coming from the source it did, and I doubt it is. It's, to me at least, yet another smug barb, and I pride myself on having a pretty good sense of the absurd. Most of the time.
    One man's smug barb is another man's clever witticism. Depends on where you're standing, and how long since your last cup of coffee...

Yes, William can be a little monomaniacal at times, but there are plenty on the 'other' side who are too.
  • Options

Sadly I think you are going to be very disappointed. If TM struck a Canada deal of course I would but you are not listening to the clear direction of travel

Raab, Hunt, Gove and Javid are setting the clear direction of travel but you have totally misunderstood them.

They haven't said no to no deal. They have said Canada over no deal.
    Jeremy Hunt live on Sky has just said Chequers is not dead.

You are in denial over Canada
    He is in the Cabinet of course he has to say that.

Simultaneously though he is contradicting May's line that it is Chequers or no deal by saying we have a Plan B (Canada) over no deal. You are in denial.
    What are you talking about. He has in the last 20 minutes confirmed Chequers is the only deal in town live on Sky and Faisal Islam endorsed his view

You can watch his interview tonight on Sky at 9.30

He has to say that. But Chequers is dead, as everyone except TM knows. Of course people in the cabinet are discussing what is to be done next. If May can't face reality, one of them may have to do it.
    I am so sorry Archer as I know it means a lot to you but Canada is gone
    So you back May then? No deal is better than Canada?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2018

Sadly I think you are going to be very disappointed. If TM struck a Canada deal of course I would but you are not listening to the clear direction of travel

Raab, Hunt, Gove and Javid are setting the clear direction of travel but you have totally misunderstood them.

Simultaneously though he is contradicting May's line that it is Chequers or no deal by saying we have a Plan B (Canada) over no deal. You are in denial.
    What are you talking about. He has in the last 20 minutes confirmed Chequers is the only deal in town live on Sky and Faisal Islam endorsed his view

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1

He has to say that Chequers is the only deal but he can't make the EU agres to it. Privately the cabinet are breaking ranks with May.

May is insisting it is Chequers or no deal.
    Cabinet are insisting it is Chequers or Canada.

If the the EU stand their ground and reject Chequers again then what should be our Plan B?

May's plan no deal or Hunt, Give, Javid and Raab saying Canada?
    To be honest and with the greatest respect we must agree to disagree.
    We disaree? I asked you a question. I'll repeat:

If the the EU stand their ground and reject Chequers again then what should be our Plan B?

May's plan no deal or Hunt, Gove, Javid and Raab saying Canada?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    Completely o/t today is my birthday and my wife took me out for lunch at the new V&A in Dundee. There are some extensive free exhibitions and some nice models but as I anticipated the building is the absolute star. I would say it looks even more incredible from the inside than it does from the out. Not sure if this will work but:

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=30993820&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=IMG_0437.JPG
  • Options
    This is becoming very arcane Conservative internal politics now, as no-deal approaches. Look in the wing mirror.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

welshowl said:

Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.

One man's smug barb is another man's clever witticism. Depends on where you're standing, and how long since your last cup of coffee...

Yes, William can be a little monomaniacal at times, but there are plenty on the 'other' side who are too.
    Actually the idefatigability has it's own charm! But Christ........
  • Options

He has to say that. But Chequers is dead, as everyone except TM knows. Of course people in the cabinet are discussing what is to be done next. If May can't face reality, one of them may have to do it.
    Canada is not an option because of N Ireland. EU won't accept Canada without NI in SM; UK won't accept intra-UK barriers.
  • Options

It doesn't bother me much at all - I don't expect the EU to agree Canada with May and I have always predicted no deal. Strategically, no deal is now the best way forward for the UK. Once the pressure of A50 is gone and the EU don't have the money nor do they have control over the NI border any longer, the conditions will be in place for a quick deal based on CETA.

I think this is the only way forward now because the EU simply don't believe May won't cave in and give them everything they want. But even if she does, the DUP and ERG will vote it down.

It would be a lot better for the country if we just walked away now and prepared for no deal and the negotiations that will follow rather than go through this mess any longer.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Canada is not an option because of N Ireland. EU won't accept Canada without NI in SM; UK won't accept intra-UK barriers.

But Canada is an option apart from N Ireland and Chequers isn't an option for a number of other reasons they won't accept it.

No deal isn't an option because of N Ireland too and that applies to the EU too and a whole host of other reasons.

So when you eliminate the impossible, all that remains however improbable is either EEA or Canada. As the EU said on day 1.
  • Options

TM no deal comments are in the context of a hard negotiation.

If she negotiates Canada fine but it is clear that it will not happen

TM deal will be the only option
  • Options
    Happy birthday DavidL
  • Options

Its only an option if the EU agree to it! Do you think the EU are bluffing and will really agree to it?

If the EU won't agree to it then what is the fallback? She's claiming no deal. Hunt, Javid, Raab and Gove say Canada is better than no deal. So what do you think?
  • Options

But Canada is an option apart from N Ireland and Chequers isn't an option for a number of other reasons they won't accept it.

No deal isn't an option because of N Ireland too and that applies to the EU too and a whole host of other reasons.

So when you eliminate the impossible, all that remains however improbable is either EEA or Canada. As the EU said on day 1.
    Agreed. It is too easy for the EU to reject Chequers. But if the UK offer CETA on the express provision there will be no NI backstop, EU leaders will be faced with a real choice for the first time - a deal they can easily do against no deal. And lets be honest - none of them actually give a stuff about the NI border. That is just Barnier's little game.
  • Options

It doesn't bother me much at all - I don't expect the EU to agree Canada with May and I have always predicted no deal. Strategically, no deal is now the best way forward for the UK. Once the pressure of A50 is gone and the EU don't have the money nor do they have control over the NI border any longer, the conditions will be in place for a quick deal based on CETA.

I think this is the only way forward now because the EU simply don't believe May won't cave in and give them everything they want. But even if she does, the DUP and ERG will vote it down.

It would be a lot better for the country if we just walked away now and prepared for no deal and the negotiations that will follow rather than go through this mess any longer.
    Maybe but the HOC are not going to accept no deal
  • Options
    Happy birthday, Mr. L.
  • Options

Its only an option if the EU agree to it! Do you think the EU are bluffing and will really agree to it?

If the EU won't agree to it then what is the fallback? She's claiming no deal. Hunt, Javid, Raab and Gove say Canada is better than no deal. So what do you think?
    I really have concluded this discussion
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Completely o/t today is my birthday and my wife took me out for lunch at the new V&A in Dundee. There are some extensive free exhibitions and some nice models but as I anticipated the building is the absolute star. I would say it looks even more incredible from the inside than it does from the out. Not sure if this will work but:

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=30993820&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=IMG_0437.JPG

Best not spend too much time looking at the models when your wife is around!

Happy birthday Mr L.
  • Options

Anyway, we seem to have few options and all of them bad:

- Attempt a Canada-style deal. This would take many years (just look at how long CETA took, and th
    - Transition to EEA. This could be done quickly and relatively easily (and painlessly) and there's possibly a majority in Parliament for it, but it's a hard sell to the public, especially with FoM (which may be overcomable with the Liechtenstein scenario). Possibly the least popular option with the public.
    - Multiple minimal deal Brexit ("controlled No Deal"): Massive queues at ports, significant issues with trade (including supply chain issues that would propagate throughout the domestic economy), very few preparations are really done, would cause serious issues that wouldn't be solved in the near term
    - No Deal ("crash out No Deal"). Really really bad, colossal queues at ports, serious damage to trade and domestic economy, few preparations really done, would cause huge issues that would take many years to resolve.
    - Remain after all. Now launching Leavers-1 to orbit, serious anger, loss of faith in democracy, minimal economic issues, political and social issues that led to the Brexit vote could be swept under the table.

Have I missed any?

terms, payments etc. And there is zero chance that FoM could be fudged in an EEA scenario; it would be identical to remaining in the EU in that respect.
    Chequers is dead; it's not an option. It's one of the impossible ones rejected; the rest are merely highly unpalatable.
    You're right with the Canada-style deal - it would indeed increase the supply-chain issues; it's less attractive as well as being difficult and prolonged.
    The EEA transition is relatively easy - there's an appropriate off-the-shelf agreement; it's just the ratification required (Payments are already made clear in it). You're right that it's not necessarily that quick to sign and get ratified, but it's orders of magnitude quicker than any alternative agreement other than controlled crash or uncontrolled crash.
    No food or fish in EEA. Why would Ireland, France, NL, DK, PL, It, ES or basically all of them accept that?
    Minimum turmoil, minimum disruption, keeps us close to the orbit of the EU, already agreed as a standard Agreement, makes everyone's lives easier.
    They'd accept EEA, no question.
    The difficult bit is if we would accept it, and that's a big hurdle.
    There's also whether EFTA would accept it. I suspect it probably would but the UK simply transitioning to EFTA and EEA membership on 29 March 2019 isn't something within the gift of either the UK or EU and would require a separate accession process.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

There does seem to be an issue with eliminating the impossible.
    Everyone seems to have a strong opinion of what is and is not impossible, and it seems to disagree with everyone else's such opinion.
  • Options

Parliament has two, and only two options. They can vote for or against any deal presented. Or they can no confidence the Government.

Nothing else Parliament does will make any difference.
  • Options

For now. Once we have left on the basis of No (Trade) Deal on 29th March, the EU will subsequently realise that it prefers a Canada type trading arrangement to nothing, regardless of what happens to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Looking at this cross examination in the US with that row of men it does make you wonder if the US are in some dark age rather than 2018

I pay little attention to US politics apart from hoping Trump clears off but I would appreciate someone explaining to me why this threatens Trump's presidency
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563

Happy birthday DavidL

Thanks. Sorry about the pictures but the inside looks even more like a wooden sailing boat with portholes overlooking the river and views of Cook's Discovery out the side window. It really is an exceptional building.
  • Options

No you haven't, you haven't said what your Plan B is. You're the one who made a big deal about Hunt, Javid, Raab and Gove rejecting no deal but they did so specifically by naming a Plan B - Canada. That seems to be an uncomfortable truth for you.
  • Options

No you haven't, you haven't said what your Plan B is. You're the one who made a big deal about Hunt, Javid, Raab and Gove rejecting no deal but they did so specifically by naming a Plan B - Canada. That seems to be an uncomfortable truth for you.
    As you wish
  • Options

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

For proponents of a second referendum. There is not enough time.

https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2015-16/europeanunionreferendum/stages.html

DORA 1914 and the Emergency Powers (Defence) Act 1939 both completed all stages in a single day I believe.
    Indeed. Parliament is sovereign (and always has been, as we know). It could hold a referendum next Friday were it so minded.
    Not really. The problem is the wording rather than the timing and the debates on that will be extraordinary
    The referendum was only advisory, it had no legal force. If there was a need Brexit could simply be stopped, parked, A50 suspended or withdrawn and the whole thing dealt with on a reasonable schedule.
    Except didn't good old Gina Miller make sure it went through as an Act?
    No. She had a ruling that the Executive could not unilaterally request A50 without Parliament's approval.

If Parliament had either brains or a spine, they would not have let Mrs May do it without a plan in place first. The referendum is still advisory and what Parliament can grant, Parliament can revoke.
    It doesn't matter whether parliament revokes the PM's right to invoke A50; that invocation has already happened and nothing within domestic UK politics can retrospectively change the notification's validity.
  • Options

As you wish
    What's Plan B?
  • Options

No Deal *is* an option - albeit an unpaletable one - because uniquely, it's the option that doesn't have to be agreed; it's simply what happens if nothing else is agreed. You're quite right that No Deal also fails the EU's Irish border question but that's simply an incentive for them to do an alternative deal, if they can; it doesn't mean they will, never mind must.
  • Options

As you wish
    What's Plan B?
    Raab, Javid, Hunt and Gove did not endorse Canada, they endorse Chequers
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    I see we are again witnessing the deeply unedifying spectacle of Brexiteer keyboard warriors calling for an economy wrecking No Deal Brexit from their permanent residence on the other side of the world. Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose, as they say in New South Wales.
  • Options

For now. Once we have left on the basis of No (Trade) Deal on 29th March, the EU will subsequently realise that it prefers a Canada type trading arrangement to nothing, regardless of what happens to Northern Ireland.
    Yes, I was meaning pre-29/3/19. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the event of No Deal, some of those 'technological customs solutions' start looking a bit more feasible to Brussels.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Looking at this cross examination in the US with that row of men it does make you wonder if the US are in some dark age rather than 2018

I pay little attention to US politics apart from hoping Trump clears off but I would appreciate someone explaining to me why this threatens Trump's presidency

Indeed it makes you glad that wouldn't happen in this country.

It doesn't threaten Trump's presidency it does threaten what would be his "greatest" achievement. Had Hillary won she could have appointed a liberal to replace a staunch conservative on the Supreme Court (though would have had to pick a moderate to get past the Senate). A 5-4 conservative majority with a moderate swing conservative justice would have been a 5-4 liberal majority with some moderate swing liberal justices.

Trump got to replace the staunch conservative with another staunch conservative. That didn't really change the balance and was a missed opportunity for liberals.

Now though the moderate conservative is retiring. Kavanaugh is a staunch conservative. He's young too. The conservatives would have 5 staunch conservatives on the bench, almost all youngish. They would control the Supreme Court potentially for decades.

If Kavanaugh falls, then the Democrats may win enough Senators in November to prevent a staunch conservative being approved.
  • Options

It doesn't. It threatens the creation of a Republican/conservative-leaning Court though.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Anazina said:

I see we are again witnessing the deeply unedifying spectacle of Brexiteer keyboard warriors calling for an economy wrecking No Deal Brexit from their permanent residence on the other side of the world. Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose, as they say in New South Wales.

We're sipping G & T's, and twirling our moustaches, and chuckling evilly, as we contemplate buying opportunities in the event of No Deal.
  • Options

Parliament has two, and only two options.

- They can vote for [the deal]
    - or against any deal presented.
    - Or they can no confidence the Government.

Lol.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Dramatic 'live' testimony from the woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh on Sky

Think this will be big news on boadcast channels tonight and tomorrow.

Doubt Brexit will feature at all

Dramatic - but I don't buy all of it.
    It does not sound good for Kavanaugh. Emotional testimony
    Doesn’t make it true.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

Actually as a still-in-the-UK-remainer I am coming round to the idea of a No-Deal Brexit simply for the sheer entertainment value of watching the leading Brexiteers making their final statement as the rebels line them up in front of the (verbal) firing squads. A modern version of Les Tricoteuses... I suppose I need to learn to knit?
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that part of Republicans' defence of Kavanaugh is that two other men (presumably both named 'Spartacus') say they assaulted Ford, not Kavanaugh.

Extraordinary.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

JAXA have released more images of the surface of asteroid Ryugu. Quite amazing pics - though I haven't seen any sign of the Clangers yet ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45667350
  • Options

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2015-16/europeanunionreferendum/stages.html

DORA 1914 and the Emergency Powers (Defence) Act 1939 both completed all stages in a single day I believe.
    The referendum was only advisory, it had no legal force. If there was a need Brexit could simply be stopped, parked, A50 suspended or withdrawn and the whole thing dealt with on a reasonable schedule.
    No. She had a ruling that the Executive could not unilaterally request A50 without Parliament's approval.

If Parliament had either brains or a spine, they would not have let Mrs May do it without a plan in place first. The referendum is still advisory and what Parliament can grant, Parliament can revoke.
    It doesn't matter whether parliament revokes the PM's right to invoke A50; that invocation has already happened and nothing within domestic UK politics can retrospectively change the notification's validity.
    Surely that depends on the ECJ case referred by the Scots?
  • Options
    Mr. D, there was a case in Australia of a woman found guilty (I forget the precise crime) when she claimed her very young son was snatched by dingoes. Part of the reason was that she wasn't blubbing her eyes out and the jury felt she was cold.

Later evidence proved she'd been telling the truth.

On the matter at hand, I'd be somewhat surprised if he ends up getting confirmed, but we'll see.
  • Options

Are you saying the FT and other papers carrying the same line are all lying? They endorse Chequers as Plan A, they endorse Canada as Plan B.

Independent, Times and others all carrying the same line too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-cabinet-support-canada-deal-eu-theresa-may-chequers-a8551721.html
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theresa-may-losing-cabinet-support-for-no-deal-brexit-if-eu-talks-fail-9svwlwztx

What's Plan B?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Not sure Archer is calling for a no deal. He wants a Canada deal that seems to have disappeared over the last few days with interventions from Amber Rudd (block of 40 conservatives) calling for a second referendum and voying to take down Canada, the DUP rejecting Canada, and Jeremy Hunt live from New York today backing TM and Chequers

I do understand that some will be annoyed or angry but TM deal is the only one in town and if it fails no deal is a possibility but more likely the question will go to the public. Remain or leave
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

Yes. It could even repeal any Act that had made it non advisory, so to speak.

However, at that point we really are off to the races.

Why vote?
    Well, we voted on the basis of very incomplete information. The govt could claim, probably with some justification, that in the light of current information, to proceed would be an act of national self-harm and given the schedules involved....
  • Options
    Hatch and Grassley are two of the longest serving Republican senators.

At the time of the alleged assault, they were both already in the Senate.
  • Options

It doesn't. It threatens the creation of a Republican/conservative-leaning Court though.
    Thanks - US politics beyond me
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294

Parliament has two, and only two options. They can vote for or against any deal presented. Or they can no confidence the Government.

Isn't that three options?
  • Options

It doesn't threaten Trump's presidency it does threaten what would be his "greatest" achievement. Had Hillary won she could have appointed a liberal to replace a staunch conservative on the Supreme Court (though would have had to pick a moderate to get past the Senate). A 5-4 conservative majority with a moderate swing conservative justice would have been a 5-4 liberal majority with some moderate swing liberal justices.

Trump got to replace the staunch conservative with another staunch conservative. That didn't really change the balance and was a missed opportunity for liberals.

Now though the moderate conservative is retiring. Kavanaugh is a staunch conservative. He's young too. The conservatives would have 5 staunch conservatives on the bench, almost all youngish. They would control the Supreme Court potentially for decades.

If Kavanaugh falls, then the Democrats may win enough Senators in November to prevent a staunch conservative being approved.
    Thank you for your explanation
  • Options
    Mrs C, any ETA on the Article 50 court case on revocation?

Also Mrs C, in legal terms, a u-turn would be entirely legitimate. But it would create absolutely massive ructions.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Parliament has two, and only two options.

- They can vote for [the deal]
    - or against any deal presented.
    - Or they can no confidence the Government.

Lol.
    :)
  • Options

Thanks - US politics beyond me
    It's dreadful that so much political power is vested in a Court.
  • Options

Are you saying the FT and other papers carrying the same line are all lying? They endorse Chequers as Plan A, they endorse Canada as Plan B.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-cabinet-support-canada-deal-eu-theresa-may-chequers-a8551721.html
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theresa-may-losing-cabinet-support-for-no-deal-brexit-if-eu-talks-fail-9svwlwztx

What's Plan B?
    Chequers - no deal - second referendum

Canada went in the last 24 hours
  • Options
    RobD said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    I know memory is a very difficult thing but I was struck by how precise she was able to be with regards to the boys 'pinballing' down the stair well - but couldn't remember the location or date of the incident.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Isn't that three options?
    Adds up as well as anything else on Brexit.
  • Options

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

That's on whether A50 is revocable, not whether the original notification can be subsequently invalidated domestically. The two are of course linked but the earlier assertion was "what Parliament can grant, Parliament can revoke", which while true in terms of powers that might be usable in the future isn't true of those used in the past.

It is worth noting in passing that if the ECJ does rule that A50 can be unilaterally revoked, there'd still need to be another Act passed by Westminster as the one used by May to invoke A50 grants only that power. Given the court case that led to the Act, it follows that the government couldn't use inherent executive powers to override that explicitly conferred by parliament.
  • Options

Mr. D, there was a case in Australia of a woman found guilty (I forget the precise crime) when she claimed her very young son was snatched by dingoes. Part of the reason was that she wasn't blubbing her eyes out and the jury felt she was cold.

On the matter at hand, I'd be somewhat surprised if he ends up getting confirmed, but we'll see.

The mother was jailed for life and served six or so years before the sad truth came out.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Azaria_Chamberlain

There is also the case of Peter Falconio. His girlfriend Joanna Lees survived the attempted kidnapping, but the Australian media ripped the sh*t out of her because she as not emotional enough. She was treated abominably by some of their media. The truth came out later utterly clearing her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Peter_Falconio
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

Why vote?
    Well, we voted on the basis of very incomplete information. The govt could claim, probably with some justification, that in the light of current information, to proceed would be an act of national self-harm and given the schedules involved....
    Well you could have said the same about Scottish Independence (hence my wondering about the SNP's postioning), or electing Corbyn. But if good old Jezza gets a small majority, we can't all say, hang on for three years whilst we have a good moan, before you actually get to walk down Downing St, and then we'll have another go at voting. We get another go once his Govt has been implemented. You can get another "go" at rejoining when we've left for a bit.

Anyway "incomplete" is in the eye of the beholder. I felt sufficiently complete from 43 years of experience. What has come to light since about the EU bloody mindedness has merely confirmed my view.
  • Options

I wrote an article on this a few months ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/06/30/trumps-big-deal-the-supreme-court/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.
    Union Jack boxer shorts hanging on the washing line.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,061

Strangely enough, I find myself agreeing with Archer here. Often hear that Parliament will block No Deal. But, the only way to do that is to vote for a deal. Parliament cannot magically make a deal appear to vote on if none exists.
    So, how exactly can HofC prevent No Deal, given that we leave in March?
    Sorry if the answer is obvious.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.

Very good... although I think the detail of your explanation is clear evidence of concern over losing the inevitable 2nd referendum
  • Options

What's Plan B?

Canada went because the DUP who say tear up Chequers call it vague?
    Or because Amber Rudd opposed it?
    Or because it emerges the majority of the cabinet now back it as Plan B?

I trust the cabinet.
  • Options
    Benson (contributor to Fox which is what I'm using as my yardstick here)

"Opening statements and first questions are complete. Thus far, Dr. Ford has struck me as intelligent, in control, and serious. It's impossible to know if she's telling the truth, but she has not come across as a liar."
  • Options

I wrote an article on this a few months ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/06/30/trumps-big-deal-the-supreme-court/
    I remember. A very good article then and now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Happy Birthday.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I'd not heard that story (and thanks for providing the details for the one I mentioned). It's depressing that some see more emotions as more truth.
  • Options

What's Plan B?

Canada went because the DUP who say tear up Chequers call it vague?
    Or because Amber Rudd opposed it?
    Or because it emerges the majority of the cabinet now back it as Plan B?

I trust the cabinet.
    Good
  • Options

Agreed. It is too easy for the EU to reject Chequers. But if the UK offer CETA on the express provision there will be no NI backstop, EU leaders will be faced with a real choice for the first time - a deal they can easily do against no deal. And lets be honest - none of them actually give a stuff about the NI border. That is just Barnier's little game.
    It will certainly be a point of focus.
  • Options

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

That's on whether A50 is revocable, not whether the original notification can be subsequently invalidated domestically. The two are of course linked but the earlier assertion was "what Parliament can grant, Parliament can revoke", which while true in terms of powers that might be usable in the future isn't true of those used in the past.

It is worth noting in passing that if the ECJ does rule that A50 can be unilaterally revoked, there'd still need to be another Act passed by Westminster as the one used by May to invoke A50 grants only that power. Given the court case that led to the Act, it follows that the government couldn't use inherent executive powers to override that explicitly conferred by parliament.
    :+1:
  • Options

welshowl said:

Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.

Very good... although I think the detail of your explanation is clear evidence of concern over losing the inevitable 2nd referendum
    Don't quite follow, if I'm honest.
  • Options

The mother was jailed for life and served six or so years before the sad truth came out.

There is also the case of Peter Falconio. His girlfriend Joanna Lees survived the attempted kidnapping, but the Australian media ripped the sh*t out of her because she as not emotional enough. She was treated abominably by some of their media. The truth came out later utterly clearing her.

Grief can affect people in different ways. What can appear as indifference, may in reality be an inability to come to terms with what has happened.

Conversely, some people who appear to be grieving are liars. I remember one man weeping and wailing after the murder of his wife, who had in fact done the job.
  • Options

Off-topic:

JAXA have released more images of the surface of asteroid Ryugu. Quite amazing pics - though I haven't seen any sign of the Clangers yet ...

Sadly another case of human detritus being dumped on another (sub-)planetary body with no consideration of its fundamental right to exist undisturbed an uncontaminated. Unethical science.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Strangely enough, I find myself agreeing with Archer here. Often hear that Parliament will block No Deal. But, the only way to do that is to vote for a deal. Parliament cannot magically make a deal appear to vote on if none exists.
    That is a whole new ball game - no deal would be a huge moment and I do not know the parliamentary procedure to stop it other than huge pressure from within the HOC for a remain - leave referendum
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.
    Chicken Tikka Massala on Fridays.
  • Options

Mrs C, any ETA on the Article 50 court case on revocation?

Also Mrs C, in legal terms, a u-turn would be entirely legitimate. But it would create absolutely massive ructions.

The only date I have seen mentioned in January 2019.

No Deal may create absolutely massive ructions Mr Dancer. You pays your money and you takes your choice .....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Grief can affect people in different ways. What can appear as indifference, may in reality be an inability to come to terms with what has happened.

Conversely, some people who appear to be grieving are liars. I remember one man weeping and wailing after the murder of his wife, who had in fact done the job.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.
    Chicken Tikka Massala on Fridays.
    You get that in prison. I knew a serial burglar who regarded it as one of the consolations of being sent back inside.
  • Options
    Mrs C, indeed. But remaining in shouldn't be presented as some sort of minor move or the safe option. Whatever happens going forward, a very significant (perhaps over half) proportion of the population will be displeased, and many will be livid.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

rpjs said:

pbr2013 said:

Why vote?
    As I have been banging on about for some time, it can be argued that we were in a process of decision making under ignorance.

Of course no politician could use the word *gn*r*nc* to describe the referendum result but the academic theory is robust to warrant a second referendum (I am still undecided if I want one or not; my instinct is no and to wait for a UK fudge).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,962

What's Plan B?
    Just listened to Martha Kearney's interview with Jeremy Hunt. He really is pathetic. Anyone thinking of putting money on him for next leader should listen to it. Makes the 'quiet man' sound charismatic
  • Options
    ICM, fieldwork last weekend:

Conservatives: 41% (down 1 compared to ICM two weeks before)

Labour: 40% (up 1)

Lib Dems: 9% (up 1)

Ukip: 4% (no change)

Greens: 3% (no change)

Also quite a lot on how the two parties and their leaders are seen on key issues

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/sep/27/may-faces-revolt-from-40-tory-mps-if-she-opts-for-canada-brexit-deal-rudd-says-politics-live

16:44
  • Options

Off-topic:

Sadly another case of human detritus being dumped on another (sub-)planetary body with no consideration of its fundamental right to exist undisturbed an uncontaminated. Unethical science.
    Bah humbug. I'll wait for you to go out there with a placard: "JAXA - go away!" Until then, let's keep on sending probes ;)

This is superb science. We'll learn a great deal, including about how Earth and the other planets formed, and how we might prevent one hitting Earth in the future. I can't wait for OSIRIS-REx to land on Bennu later this year.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, nonsense. Hunt is an excellent politician who, along with Mordaunt, is destined to be in the final two at the next Conservative leadership contest.

[I may have bets on them both].
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219

Hatch and Grassley are two of the longest serving Republican senators.

At the time of the alleged assault, they were both already in the Senate.

And were around 27 years ago to do a number on Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearing.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    RobD said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    Probably is buddy. Kavanugh is a nasty piece of right-wing trash. He is scum - period!
  • Options

Off-topic:

Bah humbug. I'll wait for you to go out there with a placard: "JAXA - go away!" Until then, let's keep on sending probes ;)

This is superb science. We'll learn a great deal, including about how Earth and the other planets formed, and how we might prevent one hitting Earth in the future. I can't wait for OSIRIS-REx to land on Bennu later this year.
    Come on, the pair of you are making these names up aren't you?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Anorak said:

welshowl said:

TOPPING said:

Of course there is none.

Don't quite follow, if I'm honest.
    Everything leads to Brexit reversal
  • Options

Off-topic:

Can I self-identify as a Ryuguian?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited September 2018
    Prize pillocks...the Thick of it and then some.

Team Corbyn are in Brussels today to meet with EU negotiators, poor planning meant they had a little taxi trouble when they realised they had no means to pay.

https://order-order.com/2018/09/27/labour-run-money/
  • Options
    Roger said:

What's Plan B?
    Just listened to Martha Kearney's interview with Jeremy Hunt. He really is pathetic. Anyone thinking of putting money on him for next leader should listen to it. Makes the 'quiet man' sound charismatic
    I would respectfully suggest that would be your reaction to any conservative
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,061

dixiedean said:

That is a whole new ball game - no deal would be a huge moment and I do not know the parliamentary procedure to stop it other than huge pressure from within the HOC for a remain - leave referendum
    Surely if we get to April it would have to be apply to rejoin/remain out?
  • Options

Off-topic:

Can I self-identify as a Ryuguian?
    Since you are a lefty, perhaps you should concentrate on NASA's mission and become a Benn-uite ;)
  • Options

Also quite a lot on how the two parties and their leaders are seen on key issues

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/sep/27/may-faces-revolt-from-40-tory-mps-if-she-opts-for-canada-brexit-deal-rudd-says-politics-live

Looking at the topline numbers, I think the Conservatives are 2-3$ ahead with YouGov.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Looking at the topline numbers, I think the Conservatives are 2-3$ ahead with YouGov.
    It seems pretty static TBH, with the Conservatives a little ahead.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Come on, the pair of you are making these names up aren't you?
    :)

OSIRIS-REx stads for the "Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer" (and of course I had to look that up on Wiki). Ages ago I listened to a podcast where a team member talked about the trouble they had trying to make up its name...
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

RobD said:

Doesn’t make it true.
    I know memory is a very difficult thing but I was struck by how precise she was able to be with regards to the boys 'pinballing' down the stair well - but couldn't remember the location or date of the incident.
    Is it really surprising? For her personal experience (which she says she was affected by for many years) the time and places were basically irrelevant, and not likely to be something that was committed to memory (short of those things having some other significance to her - eg. her birthday). It wasn't as if she was ever expecting to be required to produce them (if she did she might have gone to the police many years ago). If she had a diary of course...

I'm sure i'm no different from most people in being able to recall (to my mind accurately) surprising detail for events which happened many, many years ago. But there is usually a level of extra deduction to be carried out to work out when they happen (even working out the year is sometimes difficult enough).

In some ways the best defence for Kavanaugh might have been that the event might have happened but it was a case of misremembered/mistaken identity. This has been somewhat undermined by the other individuals coming forward suggesting this was no so far fetched from a pattern of his behaviour at the time.
This discussion has been closed.