Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The issue that looks set to decide GE2015 – the size of the

124»

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    According to Tim Shipman of the Mail:

Byrne out, Murphy down, Lewis (at least moved). Massacre of the Blairites.

tim? Happy?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Kulgan of Crydee @KulganofCrydee
    @GuidoFawkes Here's Ed's letter to Liam Byrne:

Dear Liam,
    We have to sack you. There's no money left.
    Regards,
    Ed

(HT @Bottom_To_Top )
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Any Lib Dem wimmin or ethnic minorities in the cabinet yet?

Kramer is Palestinian I think - in her head.
    I think you're mixing her up with Jenny Tonge

Correct - my bad - difficult to keep up with which LD hates Israel the most...
    I suppose that's why they read the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    At last a pb consensus - Norman Baker is a total loon and t*sspot.
  • Options
    Twigg and Byrne sacked. Murphy demoted to International Development???
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I'd like to see Burnham moved at least, and the order of the boot given to Byrne, Twigg and Curran.
    JohnO said:

tim? Happy?

• Options
    The man who simply wanted to implement Labour's own previous manifesto is sacked - unsurprising.

Iain @Iain_33
    Shadow Education Secretary Stephen Twigg sacked #reshuffle
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,056
    I wonder if there is a feeling inside the Lib Dems that Browne has gone rogue? It's a surprise since it seemed from Clegg's conference that he was going to carry on hitting his head against a brick wall trying to change his party. Has he now realised that his party can't be changed and given up on it?

Like it or not, maybe he now realises it's his destiny to lead a party who's heart beats on the left.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    On other news, more airport capacity needed in the southeast.

Only a provisional report, but still fuel on the fire:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24429443

And am I right in thinking that the phrase "He said that the commission thought it was difficult to see how the free market alone could resolve the capacity-demand imbalance in the South East." could mean that the state would have to pay?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Any Lib Dem wimmin or ethnic minorities in the cabinet yet?

Kramer is Palestinian I think - in her head.
    I think you're mixing her up with Jenny Tonge

Correct - my bad - difficult to keep up with which LD hates Israel the most...
    Your lack of political knowledge is shining like a searchlight today
  • Options
    edited October 2013

The wrong sort of rival? I'm really surprised at Murphy as he's been v good on Defence... oh...
  • Options
    Shailesh Vara has been appointed as Parliamentary Under Secretary at Justice
  • Options
    Plato said:

The man who simply wanted to implement Labour's own previous manifesto is sacked - unsurprising.

Iain @Iain_33
    Shadow Education Secretary Stephen Twigg sacked #reshuffle

Twigg has been completely useless up against probably the most unpopular education secretary of modern times. Hardly a surprise.
  • Options

I'd like to see Burnham moved at least, and the order of the boot given to Byrne, Twigg and Curran.

JohnO said:

tim? Happy?

Twigg was absolutely hopeless on Daily Politics during the party conference. He reminded me of Brown, but without the charm or charisma ...
  • Options
    So as we appraoch 3.00pm, we have the Tories doing much as predicted (nothing inspiring, nothing stupid), the LibDems being utter plonkers - Norman Baker, Susan Kramer, I ask you - and Ed massacring the Blairite innocents.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Polruan said:

JonathanD said:

Polruan said:

notme said:

Polruan said:

Balls was like a sailor on shore leave as education secretary in the run up to the last election. He was shamelessly pissing money all over the spot with the knowledge that he wouldnt have to pick up the bill. Something Gove will be pretty good at throwing back.
    It's also not an attack that works so well coming from someone who's diverted a lot of money to increase school places in areas with excess space at the same time as there's a significant shortage in other areas.

Yes, the Tories really cut the amount of money going towards increasing school places...

"It therefore provided core capital funding to authorities totalling £400 million a year from 2007-08 to 2010-11, to help cover local growth in need for places....

Under its 2010 Spending Review settlement in October 2010, the Department doubled its specific core funding for new places to £800 million a year from 2011-12 to 2014-15"

http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/10089-001_Capital-funding-for-new-school-places.pdf

p24
    My other point is that he's spending it in the wrong places... so increased spending as you cite above is all very nice, but the free school programme means that it's achieving less than it should.

The NAO link is good, as is the direct evidence given to the PAC by the DoE civil servants.

Also the Free Schools Program money is in addition to the Capital Funding for New School Places program. Add that money in and you have a 3 times increase in the money being spent by the Tories over Labour on new school places.

Its also worth noting what the NAO says about Balls's pet Building schools for the Future program

"The primary purpose of these two programmes was the refurbishment of existing schools"

This is the criticism of Balls, that he was wasting money and not prioritising properly.
  • Options
    John Rentoul @JohnRentoul
    I'll wait to see EdM's promotions, but doing down Twigg, Byrne, Lewis & Murphy looks like an attempt to split the party.
  • Options
    A few months ago I had to consult the internet to find out the name of Labour's shadow education secretary.

JohnO said:

tim? Happy?

Twigg was absolutely hopeless on Daily Politics during the party conference. He reminded me of Brown, but without the charm or charisma ...
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim? Happy?

Lets see who comes in shall we.
    As Osborne tightens his grip (ooh err) on your party

Tim's tin foil hat conspiracy theory - the hand of Ozzie is behind anything that ever happens.

• Options

JohnO said:

tim? Happy?

Twigg's problem was that he agreed with Gove - and given that Gove had pinched 90% of Labour's academy policy - it left nowhere for Twigg to go bar ineffectual opposition he didn't have his heart in.

I have a lot of sympathy for him.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    In further other news:

a good day to bury threats of legal action.
  • Options

Shailesh Vara has been appointed as Parliamentary Under Secretary at Justice

IIRC he was one of the 'over-looked' in 2010, being a shadow minister, but not making it into government because of the coalition.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2013
    Twigg was useless anyway. For the reasons Plato argued a couple of posts away
    Byrne was always the first likely casuality but he gave a good conference speech

If true, I am surprised Murphy accepted International Development.

I don't think anyone care about Ivan Lewis.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    What a miserable reshuffle!
    After all the PR kerfuffle,
    Cammo can't muffle
    calls to see him go. :D
  • Options
    Pong said:

Plato said:

Matthew Sinclair @mjhsinclair
    MT @SkyNewsBreak: National Grid says risk of blackouts this Winter is at highest level since 2007 <- quick, close coal power plants!</p>

Were there blackouts from insufficient capacity in 2007?
    Lol. Edmund Out-Platoing Plato.
    You will notice that I very rarely use another's name in vain - if you'd like me to start with you, I'd be happy to do so.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    If Ed Miliband has indeed demoted Jim Murphy, that will go down like a bag of sick in Scotland. Together with Douglas Alexander he is seen as one of the most able and intelligent Labour politicians. Obviously I hope to live long enough to see him lose his seat back to the Tories but he is a very good speaker though clearly by his accent very very Glaswegian.
  • Options
    Good to see that you have taken over the verse baton from MrsB!
    MikeK said:

What a miserable reshuffle!
    After all the PR kerfuffle,
    Cammo can't muffle
    calls to see him go. :D

• Options
    I'm surprised he's accepted DfiD - that's a big knockback.

If Ed Miliband has indeed demoted Jim Murphy, that will go down like a bag of sick in Scotland. Together with Douglas Alexander he is seen as one of the most able and intelligent Labour politicians. Obviously I hope to live long enough to see him lose his seat back to the Tories but he is a very good speaker though clearly by his accent very very Glaswegian.

• Options

He made a fool of himself over Falkirk and his accusations against Unite. I agree he's a good tv performer but he's an alleged Blairite which isn't too popular nowadays. I think Alexander has been pretty good, so I don't expect to see EdM moving him.
  • Options
    Well... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100240167/conspiracy-theorist-norman-baker-is-new-home-office-minister-this-is-bonkers/

Jeremy Browne – a very nice and able Minister – has been sacked and replaced at the Home Office by Norman Baker. Norman Baker may also be a very nice man. But he’s also a conspiracy theorist. Literally...

How is it possible that a man who believes the British security services were either directly involved in murdering – or covering up the murder of – David Kelly now be a Minister at the Home Office with the sensitive security responsibilities that entails? Come to that, if Baker thinks mysterious hit squads and cover-up teams are on the loose, how is he going to feel working late at night in the bowels of the Home Office?

It’s a ludicrous appointment. What does Nick Clegg think he's doing?
  • Options
    Shippers at the Mail not fond of new DEFRA Minister George Eustice.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TOPPING

'In further other news:

a good day to bury threats of legal action.'

Where is comedy Andy to-day?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Well... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100240167/conspiracy-theorist-norman-baker-is-new-home-office-minister-this-is-bonkers/

Jeremy Browne – a very nice and able Minister – has been sacked and replaced at the Home Office by Norman Baker. Norman Baker may also be a very nice man. But he’s also a conspiracy theorist. Literally...

How is it possible that a man who believes the British security services were either directly involved in murdering – or covering up the murder of – David Kelly now be a Minister at the Home Office with the sensitive security responsibilities that entails? Come to that, if Baker thinks mysterious hit squads and cover-up teams are on the loose, how is he going to feel working late at night in the bowels of the Home Office?

Hodges rather stupidly admits he hasn't read the book as he bashes it. Poor journalism.

Baker's conclusions may be stupid, self-serving or mad, but at least read the book before you come to that conclusion. And no, I haven't read it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Plato said:

The boy Hodges in the DT made me laugh.

What will happen to the Blairites? The Labour Left are in the ascendant, and they are looking for scalps. Unite's Len McCluskey has frequently called for Miliband to rid himself of apostates such as Liam Byrne, Stephen Twigg, and Jim Murphy. If Miliband were to do so, it would send a damaging signal that McCluskey is the man really pulling the shadow cabinet strings, so a mass cull is unlikely.

oh wait.
  • Options
    Dave will need a new PPS as Sam Gyimah becomes a whip.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Scot Dario Franchitti had a massive crash at the Indycar race at Houston this weekend. He suffered a fractured spine and broken ankle, but it would have been much, much worse. A few spectators were hit by debris; none appear to be seriously injured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3vw79o6n4&feature=youtu.be

Very, very lucky.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Is that the same Eustice who was a UKIP Euro candidate a decade or do ago? There can't be that many people with the name ...
  • Options

JohnO said:

Is that the same Eustice who was a UKIP Euro candidate a decade or do ago? There can't be that many people with the name ...
    It is indeed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    1524: The Telegraph says both Liam Byrne and Stephen Twigg have been sacked in what it describes as a "Blairite bloodbath". It says Labour's current Shadow Treasury Minister Rachel Reeves is likely to replace Liam Byrne at the Department for work and Pensions.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @Plato

What is this garbage you oft-repeat about "using my name in vain". You are not God. This is a discussion forum FFS. Expect to be named or do one.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,390
    edited October 2013
    So we have Liam Byrne who supported Universal Credit and Stephen Twigg who seemed largely to support free schools (at least in his own constituency) both sacked. We have Andy Burnham having once again made enough of a fuss at reshuffling time to make it difficult to get rid of him. And we have the competent Jim Murphy sidelined (surprised he took the job to be honest).

I think the one nation stuff was always a little fanciful. What we are now going to see is a much more direct attack from the left and consensus be damned. The Blairites are dead and the Brownites have finally won, after both the principals have left the stage.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Newsnight will love this one.

\ Rachel Reeves becomes shadow work and pensions secretary, replacing Liam Byrne, who becomes shadow education minister.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,075
    Plato said:

The wrong sort of rival? I'm really surprised at Murphy as he's been v good on Defence... oh...
    That would be Falkirk no doubt
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,075
    Plato said:

I'm surprised he's accepted DfiD - that's a big knockback.

He would accept anything on the greasy pole, likes the trough too much
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    SeanT said:

More multiculti happiness for all to celebrate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2447720/Clerics-18-mosques-caught-agreeing-marry-girls-14-Four-imams-investigated-undercover-operation.html?ICO=most_read_module

"More than a dozen Muslim clerics have been caught agreeing to marry off girls as young as 14.
    Four imams are now under investigation, after they offered to arrange the illegal ceremonies.

"Undercover reporters, posing as the mother and brother of a 14-year-old, visited 56 mosques across the country and asked clerics to perform an Islamic marriage ceremony, known as a nika.
    Imams at 18 mosques agreed – including one who has advised the police.
    The preacher was prepared to arrange the nika despite being told that the ‘bride’ was being forced to move in with a man against her wishes."

It is extremely rare for an imam to also be an assistant registrar.

Therefore it would be illegal as a false marriage no matter what the ages of the people concerned. But, this is never enforced.

Should be interesting when they and parish priests refuse to "marry" gay couples. Then the solids will really hit the air conditioning.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Newsnight will love this one.

\ Rachel Reeves becomes shadow work and pensions secretary, replacing Liam Byrne, who becomes shadow education minister.

Rachel Reeves?? Where??

:)
This discussion has been closed.