Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: How long will Trump last (an

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,344

stodge said:

Morning all :)

Away from dancing Prime Ministers, Field and Farage, the real problems facing the country show no sign of going away:

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2018/08/england-lags-behind-other-countries-social-care?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

An interesting little nugget at the end from the LGA suggesting over 40s should pay and additional tax to fund care - I'm not convinced. The notion of saving for your post-working life (including provision for care) should begin as early as possible, shouldn't it ?

This is damning:

"In England, despite two government consultations, two official commissions, five green or white papers and one Act of Parliament, the system has remained largely unchanged, the report showed."

Politicians in this country have failed us on this issue.
    I think you are right to blame politicians.

They (Tory or Labour or LibDem) have consistently tried to seek political advantage ("Death Tax", "Dementia Tax", "Mansion Tax") whenever a possible solution is proposed.
    'tis the same with most complex problems that need sorting out, like the tax system and NI, local government finance and the council tax, the welfare system, etc. There is little political premium and huge risk and damage that follows from any big, complex change - because the winners are rarely grateful and the losers very resentful. Hence the best (self-interested) thing for politicians to do is to tinker and kick the big stuff into the long grass.

Which flows directly back into last night's discussion about Brexit and HY's naive 'fact' that everything will be fine for the Tories as long as immigration goes down.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

A levels are bonkers. The fact maths and further maths give you the same 'level' qualification where one, by definition is 10x harder, proves it.

When you chick in things like general studies, it's hard to take them that seriously. They are the gateway to university, that's all.

FM was about 25% harder (and also useful for Maths). But yes, why FM exists when there was (is?) an 'S'-level qualification is hard to justify.
    Still is, but not many schools still offer it.
    It's the only exam I ever failed, though it did give me the mild consolation of a 'golden grade', as it appeared on the results sheet (sellotaped up inside the school - no data protection then!), as 'AU', as it concatenated a candidate's 'A' level and 'S' level results for the subject together.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287

stodge said:

Morning all :)

Away from dancing Prime Ministers, Field and Farage, the real problems facing the country show no sign of going away:

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2018/08/england-lags-behind-other-countries-social-care?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

An interesting little nugget at the end from the LGA suggesting over 40s should pay and additional tax to fund care - I'm not convinced. The notion of saving for your post-working life (including provision for care) should begin as early as possible, shouldn't it ?

This is damning:

"In England, despite two government consultations, two official commissions, five green or white papers and one Act of Parliament, the system has remained largely unchanged, the report showed."

Politicians in this country have failed us on this issue.
    I think you are right to blame politicians.

They (Tory or Labour or LibDem) have consistently tried to seek political advantage ("Death Tax", "Dementia Tax", "Mansion Tax") whenever a possible solution is proposed.
    Yep.

As I understand it we are not even going to implement the cap that Cameron got agreement on. We are starting again with yet another green paper.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,344
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally totally off topic but this is an interesting list.

https://toughnickel.com/real-estate/15-of-the-cheapest-places-in-the-UK-to-buy-a-3-bedroom-house

I'm really surprised by numbers 14 and 15, less so by the others.

The space occupied by a new Peterborough three-bedroom house is probably less than two-bedroom houses in many other places?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

A levels are bonkers. The fact maths and further maths give you the same 'level' qualification where one, by definition is 10x harder, proves it.

When you chick in things like general studies, it's hard to take them that seriously. They are the gateway to university, that's all.

General studies isn't recognised as an A-level for university admissions.
    Because it (certainly was) a joke. Got an A with pretty much zero prep.
    Actually Gen Studies was recognised by universities running the old JMB exam board, back in my day.
    *Some* universities. The offers I had back in the early 1990s varied as to whether they included Gen Studies or not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970
    edited August 2018
    On A-levels, obviously we all have our own reference points but Chemistry seemed to be monstrously tougher than the rest (Maths (& Further AS) and Physics) in 1999.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If you are applying for a course which needs Maths then doing Further Maths will be a big help. Admission tutors pay quite a bit of attention to which A-levels the candidates are doing, as well as the predicted grades.

The various combinations of Maths A-levels available is one of the reasons why timetabling the Maths department causes more me grief than any three others put together.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

FM was about 25% harder (and also useful for Maths). But yes, why FM exists when there was (is?) an 'S'-level qualification is hard to justify.
    It's the only exam I ever failed, though it did give me the mild consolation of a 'golden grade', as it appeared on the results sheet (sellotaped up inside the school - no data protection then!), as 'AU', as it concatenated a candidate's 'A' level and 'S' level results for the subject together.
    I'm entirely cynical about A-levels. Their only purpose is to get you that university place and what subject you take should be driven by that.

1) Relevant subjects to preferred uni courses.
    2) The best teachers (look at past results)
    3) Subject combos with overlap to lower the load.
    4) Minimal coursework
    5) Some redundancy so that you can screw up one exam and still get in. (but not too much so you overload yourself)
    6) Subject interest

And that's it. Work hard, get the result you need (and not one grade higher) and forget about them.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    stodge said:

The issue is paying for it.

The "issue" should be about how we treat the elderly - ideally with respect, care and dignity and frankly the cost be damned. We will all (hopefully) grow old and whether we need care or not, I would like to think we would all want to be treated with dignity and as continuing members of society.

In addition, those who do the caring (whether family members or not) deserve proper remuneration and support and that means giving carers a break and allowing them to work and allowing them to have a life and make a contribution beyond the provision of care.
    I agree to a certain level, but, like with the NHS this is the very definition of a black-hole in terms of public spending. We could spend an extra, 10,20,50 billion per year in this area, and even more the NHS in general.

We have a growing and aging population, and that is only going to worsen over time. Demographics are very powerful, so it requires a complete overhaul, not just throwing money at it. Of course, the 'big' issues are somethings which democracy actually isn't very good at.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

S-levels tested the same content at a higher level. Further Maths involves more content.
    For the really keen the old modular system allowed Further Maths (Additional) which meant three A levels in one subject.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,767

In honesty what is your best solution

I am off to cut the grass now so it gives you some time to respond. It is not a trick question. I really am interested your view

I don't think there is a best solution. It's a complete disaster from here.

Britain is now a country where a large part of the country is comfortable seeing the economy seriously damaged or the country dismembered in order to retreat from the complexities of the 21st century. Until that changes, the country is destined to decline further, cannoning from one unrealistic populist solution to another, each time seeing yet more damage to the country.

The long term solution is for public figures to make the case for deeper engagement with our closest neighbours, focusing on the dull but important longterm solutions of investing in infrastructure and education, and arguing for the benefits of immigration to society. A lot of damage is going to be done before that message seeps through. In the meantime, Britain is becoming a dull and surly backwater.
    Pretty much agree with this and add that Brexit will be a massive sucker of time and energy, while we cope with disconnection or try to retain an element of connection, none of which moves us forward.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    "In other words, the British prime minister - uniquely in history - is pursuing a cardinal policy in which not only does she not believe, but that she thinks could do her nation harm."

"The Kenyan Standard newspaper carries a cartoon today with Mrs May entering the room while President Kenyatta sat around a table playing cards with Donald Trump and President Xi of China.

Kenyatta looks at the door, staring at an embarrassed May holding a binder marked "Brexit":"

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-mays-silence-on-brexit-success-leads-to-one-conclusion-11485765
  • Options
    Frank Field has refused to rule out triggering a byelection after resigning the Labour whip, saying Jeremy Corbyn had failed to address the reasons for his decision.

The veteran Birkenhead MP, who was due to hold talks on Friday with Labour’s chief whip, Nick Brown, told the Guardian he had yet to decide on his next step after announcing that he had resigned the whip because of antisemitism and a culture of bullying in the party.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

I have to admit I quite like Tezza now . Clearly she's helped by being around at the same time as JRM, Corbyn and Trump, but still....

She’s dismally inept and lacking in any charisma or vision, but she evidently has a strong sense of duty and is not intentionally actively malign. I wouldn’t go as far as “like” but as you say she benefits from comparison with alternatives.
    Put you down as a maybe?
    Hell will freeze over before I vote for the current incarnation of the Conservative party.
    As a matter of interest when was the last time you voted Conservative?
    Boris Johnson for Mayor in 2012.
    So you did not vote Tory in 2015 or 2017 when the Tories won a majority and most seats?

Suggests you are a swing voter in London Mayoral and Assembly elections as you voted for Boris but not general elections
    In the past I have voted for Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, the Conservatives and spoiled my ballot paper. My vote is very much up for grabs. But a party that has as its main plank the incompetent implementation of the most profoundly damaging policy since the Second World War is not going to be given any consideration.
    Now if it offered you a peoples vote Alastair
    I'm not in favour of a fresh referendum at present.
    How about as part of a strategy:

1) Make sure the risks of No Deal are well publicised, partly as a way of educating people about what parts of day to day life depends on European integration.
    2) Obtain a Withdrawal Agreement that can credibly be presented as delivering on the wishes of 2016 Brexit voters in the best way.
    3) Offer that in a referendum with the alternative being to revoke article 50 and Remain in the EU.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Incidentally totally off topic but this is an interesting list.

https://toughnickel.com/real-estate/15-of-the-cheapest-places-in-the-UK-to-buy-a-3-bedroom-house

I'm really surprised by numbers 14 and 15, less so by the others.

The space occupied by a new Peterborough three-bedroom house is probably less than two-bedroom houses in many other places?
    The list is a nonsense, there is no way Leeds is less than Sheffield for any given similiar area. But Leeds is 6th !

There's currently a 3 bed in my village up for 50k, the issue with selling is that the public transport links/amenities are garbage which means it has a lower value as a buy to let than say something in the middle of Doncaster or Worksop. That's less of an issue with the generally higher value detached stuff in the village, as people can afford to run 2 cars : https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67042927.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I'm entirely cynical about A-levels. Their only purpose is to get you that university place and what subject you take should be driven by that.

4) Minimal coursework
    5) Some redundancy so that you can screw up one exam and still get in. (but not too much so you overload yourself)
    6) Subject interest

And that's it. Work hard, get the result you need (and not one grade higher) and forget about them.

I would put the your point 6 a little higher as studying a subject you find boring makes it much less likely you will succeed, but otherwise I largely agree.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    I think it's safe to say that the beautiful, transient thing that was McTernan's love affair with Jezza is over.

https://twitter.com/iainmacwhirter/status/1035436588254355456
  • Options
    In the extremely unlikely & embarrassing event of another referendum on EU membership before the result of the last was enacted, Boris Johnson should fire up the £350m Bus and say if he was PM he would do it.
  • Options

I think it's safe to say that the beautiful, transient thing that was McTernan's love affair with Jezza is over.

It’s a bit unfair. The Nazis were much better organised.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited August 2018

In honesty what is your best solution

I am off to cut the grass now so it gives you some time to respond. It is not a trick question. I really am interested your view

Alastair:

I don't think there is a best solution. It's a complete disaster from here.

Britain is now a country where a large part of the country is comfortable seeing the economy seriously damaged or the country dismembered in order to retreat from the complexities of the 21st century. Until that changes, the country is destined to decline further, cannoning from one unrealistic populist solution to another, each time seeing yet more damage to the country.

The long term solution is for public figures to make the case for deeper engagement with our closest neighbours, focusing on the dull but important longterm solutions of investing in infrastructure and education, and arguing for the benefits of immigration to society. A lot of damage is going to be done before that message seeps through. In the meantime, Britain is becoming a dull and surly backwater.

Thank you for that and I can sympathise and even agree in some degree. However, we are where we are and that is why I pin my hopes to TM achieving a BINO or near and for us to take fiscal measures, ie tax cuts to minimise the damage. Longer term both the UK and EU will change as happens and there may come a time when the EU and UK can coalesce around free trade without being subsumed into a one Europe
  • Options

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

4) Minimal coursework
    6) Subject interest

I would put the your point 6 a little higher as studying a subject you find boring makes it much less likely you will succeed, but otherwise I largely agree.
    That's fair. I really wanted to stress that it is so important (and often overlooked) to find a teacher who knows what they are doing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Ex Trumper (and one who was going to grab his musket if Trump lost in 2016).

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1034912785828925456
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    edited August 2018
    Pulpstar said:

On A-levels, obviously we all have our own reference points but Chemistry seemed to be monstrously tougher than the rest (Maths (& Further AS) and Physics) in 1999.

I'd say in 2005, the final maths paper I sat was tough - though I hadn't revised for it as it was the same day as my politics papers and I (rightly) guessed I'd already accrued enough points on the first five papers to get an A.

I was told that the physics synoptic paper was considered one of the hardest, which pleased me as I got full marks on it. I suspect I'd struggle to get one question right if I sat it now.
  • Options
    Jenni Russell's article yesterday about the blind optimism of Brexiteers was very good.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexiteers-blind-faith-is-a-dangerous-delusion-h88ltjtsw
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Freggles said:

I have to admit I quite like Tezza now . Clearly she's helped by being around at the same time as JRM, Corbyn and Trump, but still....

She’s dismally inept and lacking in any charisma or vision, but she evidently has a strong sense of duty and is not intentionally actively malign. I wouldn’t go as far as “like” but as you say she benefits from comparison with alternatives.
    Put you down as a maybe?
    Hell will freeze over before I vote for the current incarnation of the Conservative party.
    As a matter of interest when was the last time you voted Conservative?
    Boris Johnson for Mayor in 2012.
    So you did not vote Tory in 2015 or 2017 when the Tories won a majority and most seats?

Suggests you are a swing voter in London Mayoral and Assembly elections as you voted for Boris but not general elections
    In the past I have voted for Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, the Conservatives and spoiled my ballot paper. My vote is very much up for grabs. But a party that has as its main plank the incompetent implementation of the most profoundly damaging policy since the Second World War is not going to be given any consideration.
    Now if it offered you a peoples vote Alastair
    "People's Vote"... could it be any more patronising? What was the first vote then? Was anyone unaware that the people would be voting on whether to Leave or Remain, then passing the baton back to politicians?
    Peoples vote is a nonsense - it needs to be honest and call it a second referendum
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

S-levels tested the same content at a higher level. Further Maths involves more content.
    For the really keen the old modular system allowed Further Maths (Additional) which meant three A levels in one subject.
    I studied Additional Maths and Maths but can't for the life of me remember the difference between the content of the Additional one and "Maths" when I consider my maths understanding.
  • Options

I know it is Mcternan... but he said 'nasty' not Nazi.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I always thought the bravest thing about May's nasty party speech was taking the risk of tripping over that word.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Pulpstar said:

It's a bit unfortunate for Corbyn that under the circumstances it's an understandable mistake to make.
  • Options

That is so funny - made my morning
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

4) Minimal coursework
    6) Subject interest

That's fair. I really wanted to stress that it is so important (and often overlooked) to find a teacher who knows what they are doing.
    Particularly at A-level, yes. Which is why properly qualified Physics teachers need more pay!
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I studied Additional Maths and Maths but can't for the life of me remember the difference between the content of the Additional one and "Maths" when I consider my maths understanding.
    I did S level History. Just seemed like another paper. I remember being pissed of though because it was my 17th birthday.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
  • Options
    Frank Field just called Chris Williamson a rent a crowd live on Sky
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Ouch. Just ouch.

I knew there were some problems on the branches, but had heard nothing about the central section. I wonder what the issue is?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Ah, another episode of Program Manager chicken, the oldest and best business game.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    edited August 2018
    Programme Management 101.

Don’t let the date slip until long after it’s obvious the date will slip.

Otherwise team morale will drop massively, productivity will plummet, and you’ll end up missing the second date too.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Ha Ha Ha , The Herald, nowadays it makes the Record look like a broadsheet.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I’m not sure I could reliably differentiate (no pun intended) between the Maths I learned for eithe A-level and the Maths I learned in my first year at university.
  • Options

Small garden, Big G? Or just can't resist PB?

:smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Fenman said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I did S level History. Just seemed like another paper. I remember being pissed of though because it was my 17th birthday.
    Yeh I did the extra History exam too. Thought it was very hard; harder than my Oxford entrance paper.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Often when there is dissent expressed in the United States against policies of the Israeli government, people here are called anti-Semitic. What is your response to that as an Israeli Jew?

Shulamit Aloni: Well, it’s a trick, we always use it. When from Europe somebody is criticizing Israel, then we bring up the Holocaust. When in this country people are criticizing Israel, then they are anti-Semitic. And the organization is strong, and has a lot of money, and the ties between Israel and the American Jewish establishment are very strong and they are strong in this country, as you know. And they have power…” (Video and full transcript below)
  • Options

Ouch. Just ouch.

I knew there were some problems on the branches, but had heard nothing about the central section. I wonder what the issue is?
    I would guess something to do with getting the signalling system and trains to work as intended.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Small garden, Big G? Or just can't resist PB?

:smile:
    With my mobility I do cut my front lawn in two stages and my rear lawn separately. It does keep me moving but PB is a good coffee break
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Often when there is dissent expressed in the United States against policies of the Israeli government, people here are called anti-Semitic. What is your response to that as an Israeli Jew?

Shulamit Aloni: Well, it’s a trick, we always use it. When from Europe somebody is criticizing Israel, then we bring up the Holocaust. When in this country people are criticizing Israel, then they are anti-Semitic. And the organization is strong, and has a lot of money, and the ties between Israel and the American Jewish establishment are very strong and they are strong in this country, as you know. And they have power…” (Video and full transcript below)

I feel like you're quoting some source or other here; and these are not your original thoughts... You need to post the 'video below' too.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Maybe the way to for Labour moderates to beat Corbyn is to point out how many times he voted with the Tories. Must be more than TONY Blair ever did...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ouch. Just ouch.

I would guess something to do with getting the signalling system and trains to work as intended.
    That's be my guess as well, from my understanding they're rather aggressively new systems. I also wonder if the experience with train throughputs on the centrala section of Thameslink (which AIUI has contributed to GTR's timetabling woes) have contributed to this.
  • Options

Ahhhh.

BJO has brought us back to the Jews!

Good job.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Otherwise team morale will drop massively, productivity will plummet, and you’ll end up missing the second date too.
    In other news, we are definitely leaving the European Union on the 29th of March, 2019.
  • Options

Ouch. Just ouch.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1035452654946865153
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

4) Minimal coursework
    6) Subject interest

The problem with point 1 is that you are making your initial choices for A levels before your have completed your GCSEs and so well in advance of when you are looking seriously at specific courses and their requirements. Yes, there are general trends and the school should be able to provide guidance as to the sort of subjects you should follow but I don't think it is reasonable to expect students to have narrowed down their top choices of Uni courses so far in advance. Yes, some kids know the direction in which they want to go - but even then that can often change as they proceed. But many don't. It is wise to play to your strengths and go for a broadbased education that does not shut off too many options too early.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Crossrail not opening delayed until Autumn 2019. Casino, I'm guessing you've been aware of this for a while?
  • Options
    Listening to Frank Fields the HOC could do with 650 of him
  • Options

Mortimer said:

In other news, we are definitely leaving the European Union on the 29th of March, 2019.
    In other news, programmes are not national politics.

We know you’ve never been a member of a political party. Have you ever been involved in a change programme?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ahhhh.

BJO has brought us back to the Jews!

Good job.
    Paging Ken!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

The renationalized trains will run on time
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

We know you’ve never been a member of a political party. Have you ever been involved in a change programme?
    I have indeed. If you don't think of Brexit as a change programme, don't be surprised if nothing changes.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Bit irked. Was looking for the practice market since Wednesday, wasn't up. Finally saw it and went to make some bets, but despite appearing up, any attempted bet is 'suspended' and cannot be made.

Humbug.

I reserve the right to be miffed if a Williams or Sauber is top 3.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Ouch. Just ouch.

That's be my guess as well, from my understanding they're rather aggressively new systems. I also wonder if the experience with train throughputs on the centrala section of Thameslink (which AIUI has contributed to GTR's timetabling woes) have contributed to this.
    It shouldn't be as tough as the Thameslink Core as the number of destinations is much lower. The problem with Thameslink is that they need the trains to depart in the correct order. They can't have a train to Cambridge leaving Blackfriars three minutes early.
  • Options

It's 'renationalised' ... With a 's'. Unless you're a Yankian? ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Ouch. Just ouch.

Well, all those London Corbynites have been digging such deep holes fir themselves.....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

4) Minimal coursework
    6) Subject interest

It is wise to play to your strengths and go for a broadbased education that does not shut off too many options too early.

That's just not possible with A-levels. One of their inherent weaknesses and the fact that GSCEs are not much of a signal as to your strengths does not help. Unfortunately, you do have to choose when you pick your A-levels. It's horrible, but unavoidable.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I have indeed. If you don't think of Brexit as a change programme, don't be surprised if nothing changes.
    It’s far more significant than a change programme. It’s more of a shareholder buyout.
  • Options

That was Mussolini.

Incidentally, two years after electric services were due to start, they have finally put the live wires on the Chase Line so the service should be starting in December.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Pulpstar said:

I feel like you're quoting some source or other here; and these are not your original thoughts... You need to post the 'video below' too.
    Unlike BJO to criticise a leftwinger, a constant critic of the Sharon regime and fighter for Palestinian rights - listen to the full interview:

https://www.democracynow.org/2002/8/14/israels_first_lady_of_human_rights

Edit - but its taking some digging to find an interview from 2002....of a politician who died 4 years ago....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Mr. Jessop, that's a common error.

Because Americans only use Z in words like 'crystallise' it's assumed, erroneously, that the British way is S. Either S or Z can be used in British English, it's a variance due to the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries (I think).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

We've already had a deadline slip from October to November, so I think there are some points of similarity.

In my tenderer years, I recall being shocked by the public sector practice of 'rebaselining', otherwise known as retroactively changing all the due dates in order to avoid being placed in exception. I'm more cynical now ;).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,014

Ouch. Just ouch.

Well, all those London Corbynites have been digging such deep holes fir themselves.....
    http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2018/08/100-days-to-go.html will give you a brief outline - but it seems the Bond Street Station is running very late..
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

The global standard is "renationalized", please get with the program
  • Options

Because Americans only use Z in words like 'crystallise' it's assumed, erroneously, that the British way is S. Either S or Z can be used in British English, it's a variance due to the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries (I think).

Spelling such words with a Z is the sign of the devil. Doing it that way would be just typical of those hideous Oxford people.

(This is where someone tells me it's Cambridge who does it...)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

In the extremely unlikely & embarrassing event of another referendum on EU membership before the result of the last was enacted, Boris Johnson should fire up the £350m Bus and say if he was PM he would do it.

The temptation is there to say that the other side should come out with a bus saying £400m to the NHS from a claimed EU Dividend. Why not?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

iirc s or z was once the vital clue in an Inspector Morse episode.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That was Mussolini.
    Perhaps Farage has found his pitch for mayor of London.
  • Options

Citation required. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Mortimer said:

Maybe the way to for Labour moderates to beat Corbyn is to point out how many times he voted with the Tories. Must be more than TONY Blair ever did...

Waaaaaaayyyyyyy ahead of you.

Corbynites have already claimed that when Corbyn voted against the Blairite leadership, we was voting WITH Labour...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That was Mussolini.
    Nah, Mussolini started as a Socialist. I don't think Farage would fool anyone if he went down that route...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    ABOUT CROSSRAIL LTD
    Crossrail Limited, established in 2001, is the company that has been set up to build the new railway that will become known as the Elizabeth line when it opens through central London.

It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Transport for London (TfL) and is jointly sponsored by TfL and the Department for Transport. Once the railway is complete it will be run by TfL as part of London’s integrated transport network.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/about-us/

Does Grayling run Transport for London?
  • Options

Given the mess he's made of the national rail network - which is almost comparable to Adonis' record - running is about the only option that will be left to many people.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2018
    @Casino_Royale spending too much time on PB?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,928

I think he’s having a busy day today!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

Frank Field has refused to rule out triggering a byelection after resigning the Labour whip, saying Jeremy Corbyn had failed to address the reasons for his decision.

The veteran Birkenhead MP, who was due to hold talks on Friday with Labour’s chief whip, Nick Brown, told the Guardian he had yet to decide on his next step after announcing that he had resigned the whip because of antisemitism and a culture of bullying in the party.

Whilst I appreciate people think he has a personal vote, I doubt it is anywhere near enough in the monolithic Merseyside area to overcome the 20,000 votes Labour would get for simply fielding a candidate.

I've never lived in Birkenhead, but I grew up and lived till only a few years ago in Wallasey (and now live in Bootle). It's as Red as it comes on Merseyside (not just Liverpool) and I think he'd lose. His only chance is that, if its a by-election, turnout will be depressed so maybe only 15,000 Labour votes guaranteed.

Love to be proved wrong, but just don't think it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

@Gantt_chart_Royale
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

According to the Mail, at the time of the 2015 election, he'd voted against Labour more times than David Cameron.

Personally, I find that stat difficult to believe. Cameron had been an MP for 14 years at that point and even if Corbyn's 500+ rebel votes is accurately reported (and it'd only have been around 15 a year, so it probably is right - personally, I'd have guessed it'd have been much higher), it'd have meant that Cameron only averaged 35 votes against Labour a year, which seems implausibly low.

But of course, Corbyn's rebellions were a matter of principle, whereas any that Blair made were on the basis of selling out.
  • Options
    TfL is a statutory body created by the Greater London Authority (GLA) Act 1999. This Act gives the Mayor of London a general duty to develop and apply policies to promote and encourage safe, integrated, efficient and economic transport facilities and services to, from and within London.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/how-we-work/how-we-are-governed?intcmp=2724
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That was Mussolini.
    Nah, Mussolini started as a Socialist. I don't think Farage would fool anyone if he went down that route...
    You can fool some of the people all of the times - and those are the ones to concentrate on. (GW Bush, I think).
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Whilst I appreciate people think he has a personal vote, I doubt it is anywhere near enough in the monolithic Merseyside area to overcome the 20,000 votes Labour would get for simply fielding a candidate.

I've never lived in Birkenhead, but I grew up and lived till only a few years ago in Wallasey (and now live in Bootle). It's as Red as it comes on Merseyside (not just Liverpool) and I think he'd lose. His only chance is that, if its a by-election, turnout will be depressed so maybe only 15,000 Labour votes guaranteed.

I agree. It's hard to imagine looking at the surrounding seats that any more than about a third of the vote is a personal vote on the most optimistic estimate - and in the absence of other meaningful voteshare to squeeze that wouldn't be close to enough.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,928
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

@Gantt_chart_Royale
    If I never see another Gantt chart again I’ll be a happy man!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That was Mussolini.
    You can fool some of the people all of the times - and those are the ones to concentrate on. (GW Bush, I think).
    He'd need to fool Socialists. Corbyn has beaten him to that particular trick.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Programme
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    On July 25 the TFL Board were told on Crossrail:

On 3 July 2018, the Programmes and Investment Committee reviewed the report in detail. There were no specific issues to bring to the attention of the Board for discussion in pubic.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20180725-item10-crossrail-update.pdf

This was item 10 on the agenda, between 'Slavery and Human Trafficking' and 'Board Appointments'.....
  • Options

Maybe it'll take a "Tory Boy" from Birkenhead to really really open their eyes
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

Given the mess he's made of the national rail network - which is almost comparable to Adonis' record - running is about the only option that will be left to many people.
    What is the point of Chris Grayling. He does inept at distinction level
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Nice, EU consultation result is to stop faffing around with the clocks twice a year.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-31/europe-should-be-on-summertime-forever-eu-s-juncker-says

I suppose what with Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer Time both having faintly patriotic names the British will refuse to go along with this and make life even more confusing than it already was.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Again, the irony of some of these Blairites railing against "the Corbynites" is that it was Field's stance on Brexit that killed him off locally, and the Blairites have generally been going on and on about how Labour should be more assertive on Brexit.

It's not a coincidence that the only 3 MPs to have motions of no confidence passed in them are pro-Brexit. Whilst most of the Labour membership is supportive of Corbyn, there's only a small rump in most CLPs who are diehard enough to want to rock the boat with deselections. It's only when that diehard rump combines with people who are diehard Remainers that there's a "critical mass" to oust an MP.
  • Options
    Ha Ha Ha , The Herald, nowadays it makes the Record look like a broadsheet.

global standard my erchie, using "z" in these kinds of words should be a hanging offence.
  • Options

Nice, EU consultation result is to stop faffing around with the clocks twice a year.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-31/europe-should-be-on-summertime-forever-eu-s-juncker-says

I suppose what with Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer Time both having faintly patriotic names the British will refuse to go along with this and make life even more confusing than it already was.

I think we only keep BST/GMT to stop the Jocks whining. Abolition is a good idea. There, I said it. #IstandWithJuncker
  • Options

global standard my erchie, using "z" in these kinds of words should be a hanging offence.
This discussion has been closed.