Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memories of Thatcher could make it harder for Tories to win

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Roger said:

@Tim "David Cameron views Margaret Thatcher death song with 'personal distaste'"

Remember prisoners getting the vote made him feel "physically sick".

A bit of a wimp our PM.

Yet you want rEd Miliband who cried for the baby polar bears when the Copenhagen climate scam talks broke down as PM ?

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    SeanT said:

You just refuse to accept the obvious explanation

I just pointed out that it's far from obvious. Your answer to everything is liberal-left bias. How you managed to attach that answer to this case, which supports the arguments for legalising abortion, is beyond me.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    edited April 2013
    My council leader when Thatcher was first elected and who took the government to court,Len Stevenson said "Mrs Thatcher has caused more damage to the city of Norwich than the Luftwaffe"
    However,some good friends of mine remind me that the native american community see her,rightly,as one of the first real campaigners against climate change,where she is seen as an advocate.Link to their website available on request.She is right as the good people of Mayflower,who have Exxon oil which is not legally oil in their backyards,know.Keystone Pipeline beware.
    Howzat for political balance!
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

@hucks67. " Not sure I really agree with that. it's not so much being a cabinet of the people than for the people. As long as people feel that the government's doing all right for them, they'll support it, no matter how many went to Eton.

"

If you think that people make their decisions based on any analysis of the pros/cons of parties policies, I am not sure this is the case for many voters. If a party starts to look like it only represents once section of society, then unless they are doing a good job, wth people feeling the benefit of a healthy economy, they will take a decision based on gut feeling.

At the moment, people are thinking Cameron/Osborne have not delivered and don't particularly represent their interests.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

you are definitively stupid.

That was a given as soon as I disagreed with you!

• Options
    Cameron on the red carpet outside the schloss with Merkel

While the left spend their pennies on i-tunes and foam on twitter...

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    antifrank said:

And while several thousand unsuspecting heterosexuals will have been introduced to the works of Judy Garland, there's no reason why the homosexual agenda should not be pursued further by making sure that millions of impressionable teenagers also get that pleasure.

Judy doesn't do much in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    @Roger

That 20% came from those who hate musicals particularly The Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    antifrank said:

And while several thousand unsuspecting heterosexuals will have been introduced to the works of Judy Garland, there's no reason why the homosexual agenda should not be pursued further by making sure that millions of impressionable teenagers also get that pleasure.

You've rumbled them! I thought my 'good work pouring money into tax-avoiding multinational corporations' might provide cover - but the secret's out of the closet now....

......all part of the 'homosexualist agenda'!

• Options
    tim said:

David Singleton ‏@david_singleton 1m
    I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher climbs up to No 29 in the charts. A sterling Get Out The Credit Card operation by CCHQ there

Any sign of Hollande at the Schloss ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2013
    @Bob. "Delighted that the BBC won't be playing the hate song."

You'll be pleased to know that all this week and next the Daily Mail are having public denunciations of all those who aren't grieving with enough intensity. Perhaps if you know any?
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "It's nowhere near analagous to the Mohammed cartoons."

The right to offend in a free speech society? I think it's analogous to some extent.
  • Options
    Painful Eddie Mair interview with Controller of Radio 1 on the Ding Dong Decision:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1326753-eddie-mair-interviews-radio-1-controller-pm-programme-bbc-radio-4
  • Options

all part of the 'homosexualist agenda'!

The homosexualist agenda is almost entirely limited to getting as drunk as possible tonight.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Ding, dong the BBC is dead.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Plato

'Meanwhile Civil Service union official Darren Williams - a member of Labour's National Policy Forum set up by Blair - used his Facebook page to make his extreme views known saying Tony Blair should be buried in the same coffin as Mrs Thatcher.'

Ed's certainly got his work cut out with his loony left..
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Perhaps we will see a mass boycott of the tv tax by lefties ?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Plato

Ed's certainly got his work cut out with his loony left..

Especially when they voted him in and keep his bankrupt pressure group afloat.
  • Options

Painful Eddie Mair interview with Controller of Radio 1 on the Ding Dong Decision:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1326753-eddie-mair-interviews-radio-1-controller-pm-programme-bbc-radio-4

Painful for who? Mair did well. The R1 bloke held himself very well.

The listener got a treat by hearing a clipped, serious news item starting with the words "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead".
  • Options
    Solely in the cause of impartiality and balance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnToK3kSKKg
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sigh.

No, PCS members did not vote him in. And they are not financing him. They are funding opponents standing against Labour candidates. I know you're bored of me pointing this out but every time you get it wrong...

• Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Sigh.

No, PCS members did not vote him in. And they are not financing him. They are funding opponents standing against Labour candidates. I know you're bored of me pointing this out but every time you get it wrong...

There is more to the looney left than the PCS.

I assure you.
  • Options
    Avery's post about loving Mrs T, combined with "Margaret Thatcher's Yeast Extract" in the header, is making me very queasy.
  • Options
    carl said:

Painful for who? Mair did well. The R1 bloke held himself very well.

The listener got a treat by hearing a clipped, serious news item starting with the words "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead".
    Do you know the song? What 5-6 second segment would you use?

It's a mess. They should have played the whole thing and been done with it - now they've kept it in the news - and as well as promoting the homosexualist agenda they are lining the pockets of tax-avoiding multinational corporations....how could it get funnier?

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Darren Williams run for the NEC last year. He polled 14,641 votes finishing 10th (the top 6 was elected).

He was the lowest polling candidate from his slate (Centre-Left Grassroots Alliance...which is actually the Left slate more than centre-left). The other CLGA candidates were Ken Livingstone , Anne Black (good woman, the most moderate of the slate), Christine Shawcroft (allegedly nicknamed as Christine Trotsky by her opponents in London Labour back in her Tower Hamlets days), Kate Osamor (daughter of Martha Osamor for those who remembers the 80s..:Haringey Council IIRC) and Pete Willsman (Bennite organizer in London, always in the 80s)

Not that it is on topic but since Williams was mentioned, I felt compelled to hold a little lesson.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Avery

Horrific, that late term matricide performed by the Tories.

I am calling for a full judicial inquiry.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    I posted this on Facebook earlier (hence the abbreviated structure):

"Can't believe the fuss over whether the Beeb should play a song or not in the charts show. General rule: taste doesn't come into it; the only reason for censorship at that time of day are references / language inappropriate to the audience profile. Given that the song was originally released in a film categorised as 'U', there can't be any concerns on that score.

"Give them their moment in the sun and they'll grow bored and shut up; censor it and it gives an excuse for them to bang on for years about another perceived injustice (and in the short term, boosts publicity and is likely to increase the download count).

"Thatcher shrugged off worse while she was alive; her thin-skinned supporters would do well to follow her example."

You'd think from the way some are carrying on, it was a threat to national security.
  • Options
    Henry, I disagree with the article.

Take seats in Lancashire, we were winning Pendle, Hyndburn, West Lancashire, Chorley, Rossendale and Darwen consistently during Margaret Thatcher's premiership. We only lost them after her demose. There is a section of the population in these parts - probably 3-4% of the electorate still, who won't return to the party until we have a Leader like Mrs T. Now they may be mistaken to wait, as I think their wait is in vain, but 3 or 4 in every 100 think like that in these parts.

Get even with the tasteless lefties promoting Ding Dong http://www.amazon.co.uk/Im-Love-With-Margaret-Thatcher/dp/B009LTV8TI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1365785296&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=i'm+in+love+with+maggie+thatcher
  • Options
    "As Charles Moore explained on the special edition of BBC Question Time, the song celebrates the death of the Wicked Witch of the East. Perhaps the East is the USSR? In which case Margaret Thatcher is Dorothy, who delights the munchkins by taking firm and decisive action involving the landing of a house on the head of said Wicked Witch. Does this mean that Kansas is Grantham? Who is the Cowardly Lion? Gordon Brown. I'm not sure if that makes the Wizard of Oz Ronald Reagan or Tony Blair."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100211939/on-margaret-thatcher-we-might-have-to-agree-to-disagree/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    carl said:

antifrank said:

Judy doesn't do much in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
    Given that it's sung by munchkins that's very apt for who.s buying it
  • Options
    "What 5-6 second segment would you use?"

Oh I'd just play the whole thing on a constant loop, until everyone had got their outrage / worship / hatred out of their systems, and we're all bored.

Then cancel the State funeral and let the family mourn the sad passing of an ill old lady in private.

Then we can all get on with discussing her legacy.

Apart from the Daily Mail, who will be finding people who aren't mourning vigorously enough to publicly denounce for ages.
  • Options
    "A German man has been arrested at Athens International Airport after allegedly trying to smuggle nearly half a ton of gold and silver out of Greece, according to airport officials."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22127616#TWEET722075
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited April 2013
    @david_herdson Well said David. What a load of nonsense this has become.

This is from a movie from the 1930s for heaven's sake.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I certainly hope Wizard of Oz is never broadcast again. A four-second clip of Dorothy saying "there's no place like home" might be acceptable, but only as part of a news report to provide 'context' for cretins.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    The Standard headlines the Witch song story with Farage saying "Play the bloody thing or it wlil be no 1 for weeks", contrasting with Cameron's "er, it's not my department" (I paraphrase) response. Sign of the times - can't remember anything Farage has said being the headline to a story before.

Darren Williams run for the NEC last year. He polled 14,641 votes finishing 10th (the top 6 was elected).

He was the lowest polling candidate from his slate (Centre-Left Grassroots Alliance...which is actually the Left slate more than centre-left). The other CLGA candidates were Ken Livingstone , Anne Black (good woman, the most moderate of the slate), Christine Shawcroft (allegedly nicknamed as Christine Trotsky by her opponents in London Labour back in her Tower Hamlets days), Kate Osamor (daughter of Martha Osamor for those who remembers the 80s..:Haringey Council IIRC) and Pete Willsman (Bennite organizer in London, always in the 80s)

Not that it is on topic but since Williams was mentioned, I felt compelled to hold a little lesson.

Pretty fair descriptions. Ann Black is wonderful - keeps everyone who wants updates informed, replies to emails by return, helps if she thinks you're right, tells you firmly but politely if she thinks you're wrong. I hate to think that I used not to vote for her.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @dizzy_thinks: In death Mrs T has made lots of lefties give money to global capitalist music giants on a network invented by the US military. Epic win!
  • Options
    @tim

The county councillor leader, Geoff Driver had a few choice words to say about Michael Gove, but then all that means is that the Education Sec. joins a long list of people treated in similar fashion by Geoff Driver.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@dizzy_thinks: In death Mrs T has made lots of lefties give money to global capitalist music giants on a network invented by the US military. Epic win!

Slightly confused by this ‘Ding-Dong Song’ conspiracy theory – Is it the ‘looney left’ driving up sales, or the ‘friends of Dorothy’? I think we should be told...!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    @Tim: "What on earth would've been wrong with a private funeral, a memorial service in Westminster Abbey or St Pauls and a couple of hours tributes in Parliament on Monday.

The whole thing is embarrassing. "

Quite: I've been saying the same thing for a few days now. Still, it's happening so let's hope it goes off without incident.

Please can we now discuss something else: the absence of Northern Tories, why the weather is so rubbish, even the glories of Scottish independence.

Incidentally, Daughter has a place at a Scottish University for 2014. So she will be able to vote in the referendum - I assume - and assuming all the right exam results come in.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Plato said:

Well that didn't take long

A serving police officer who sent a series of sickening tweets about the death of Margaret Thatcher has today resigned from his job at Scotland Yard.

Sergeant Jeremy Scott said he hoped the former prime minister’s death at the age of 87 was ‘painful and degrading’.

The 52-year-old Metropolitan Police officer also suggested the world would be a ‘better place’ if David Cameron, too, were dead.

Scotland Yard said today: 'The officer concerned, today submitted his resignation and it was accepted with immediate effect.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307705/Scotland-Yard-sergeant-Jeremy-Scott-resigns-Margaret-Thatcher-degrading-painful-death-tweets.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Forced into it to save his pension. We get ever closer to a dictatorship, soon we will be jailed for our thoughts.
  • Options
    More incisive comments from PB's Mr Saddo.
    AveryLP said:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I see the blues had a bit of a setback in last night Darlington BC, Lascelles by-election. LAB 426 (63.4%; -5.0): LD 129 (19.2%): CON 117 (17.4%; -14.2). No Thatcher or welfare bounce there.
  • Options
    "Incidentally, Daughter has a place at a Scottish University for 2014. So she will be able to vote in the referendum - I assume - and assuming all the right exam results come in."

Depends on when she moves up and if she registers quickly - the referendum is in mid-September so the timescale would be tight.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

He better make the most of it , he will not be there long to get many more opportunities.
  • Options

I see the blues had a bit of a setback in last night Darlington BC, Lascelles by-election. LAB 426 (63.4%; -5.0): LD 129 (19.2%): CON 117 (17.4%; -14.2).

True tories don't vote in periods of official mourning.

Everyone knows that, Mr. Smithson.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

He better make the most of it , he will not be there long to get many more opportunities.
    I don't know, I think Frau Merkel will win the election in September.

Cameron is here to stay.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant.
  • Options
    Thanks Mr. Saddo.
  • Options
    Whenever I hear "Ding Dong" I think Terry-Thomas.

Am I the only one who can't give a damn whether the BBC play it or not?
  • Options
    "I think Frau Merkel will win the election in September."

If you mean the CDU will remain the largest party, that's already assured. If you mean she will remain Chancellor, that's highly likely as well. But whether she'll be able to maintain her current coalition is another matter entirely, and that's what's really at stake in the election.
  • Options

"I think Frau Merkel will win the election in September."

If you mean the CDU will remain the largest party, that's already assured. If you mean she will remain Chancellor, that's highly likely as well. But whether she'll be able to maintain her current coalition is another matter entirely, and that's what's really at stake in the election.

Yes, my terminology was imprecise.

I suspect she will remain Chancellor.

IIRC she was very unpopular a few years ago.

I wonder what lessons David Cameron and the Lib Dems can draw from that.
  • Options
    carl said:

"What 5-6 second segment would you use?"

Oh I'd just play the whole thing on a constant loop, until everyone had got their outrage / worship / hatred out of their systems, and we're all bored.

Then cancel the State funeral and let the family mourn the sad passing of an ill old lady in private.

Then we can all get on with discussing her legacy.

Apart from the Daily Mail, who will be finding people who aren't mourning vigorously enough to publicly denounce for ages.

There is no legacy to discuss, any sensible person is only interested in what the current crop of donkeys are doing to make their lives more miserable. Anything she did is long gone and the benefits are obvious , the country is almost bankrupt. Politicians are all crap and only lining their own nests , she lined her son's very well.
  • Options
    "I wonder what lessons David Cameron and the Lib Dems can draw from that."

Scrap nuclear power? Mind you, given the current state of the FDP, the Lib Dems ought to be wary of following a German example.
  • Options

Hard to believe the cretins have banned it , you could not make it up.
  • Options

Leslie Phillips surely?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sV0lKD3KPsc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=sV0lKD3KPsc

I'm all for people buying stuff to commemorate Thatcher - even if it is going to tax-minimising global corporations...
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413

More to the point is the lesson political punters can draw from it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Well what can you say about the BBC, they banned Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax.

And that song had no political connotations.
  • Options

Leslie Phillips surely?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sV0lKD3KPsc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=sV0lKD3KPsc

I'm all for people buying stuff to commemorate Thatcher - even if it is going to tax-minimising global corporations...
    I thought it was Terry-Thomas, but yup, it's Leslie Phillips.
  • Options
    Did someone mention Leslie Phillips? Here was his character's take on the Thatcher legacy in the TV series 'Chancer' -

"On the contrary, I was a great admirer of Margaret Thatcher. She took a country that was down on its luck, and revitalised its industry. Unfortunately, that country is Japan."
  • Options

More to the point is the lesson political punters can draw from it.
    The Great unwashed prefer to vote for strong women politicians who have a science background?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    PB's Mr Saddo thinks it is time to get classy.

Dame Janet Baker sings Dido's Lament from Purcell's opera Dido & Aeneas in a live performance recorded at Glyndebourne in 1966, Charles Mackerras conducting.

We should all pay attention to the words of the lament:

.[Recitative]
    Thy hand, Belinda, darkness shades me,
    On thy bosom let me rest,
    More I would, but Death invades me;
    Death is now a welcome guest.

[Aria]
    When I am laid, am laid in earth, May my wrongs create
    No trouble, no trouble in thy breast;
    Remember me, remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

OK, we could have had Kirsten Flagstad or Kathleen Ferrier or Emma Kirkby but Dame Janet still probably tops the lot.

She encapsulates how all true Tories are feeling at this very sad hour. Here is Margaret deserted by the party she loved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_50zj7J50U&list=PLD9A0BDB2F8C13C53
  • Options
    Public Service Announcement

Brian Blessed is presenting Have I Got News For You tonight on BBC 1 at 9pm.

His last performance back in 2008 was the best Guest Presenter since Angus left.
  • Options
    Rather than buying songs to download, how about as a tribute, we should buy a Mr Whippy ice cream?

Without the great Mrs T, we might not be able to do that.

It could be a secret sign, a code to indicate the righteous.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Congrats, Miss Cyclefree :)

Mr. G, I slightly disagree. Did you read the article? Reportedly he also tweeted some things about May which were far more distasteful and certainly not the sort of thing a serving police sergeant should be writing about the serving Home Secretary.

On Ding, Dong: play it. It's ridiculous not to. I'm not anti-Thatcher and I think it's slightly childish that that song is number one, but people have the right to be distasteful/offensive/poke fun at the dead. The BBC assuming the mantle of moral guardian after the Newsnight debacles is at the same time ludicrous and hilarious.

Mr. Eagles, do you know who the guests are?
  • Options

Rather than buying songs to download, how about as a tribute, we should buy a Mr Whippy ice cream?

Without the great Mrs T, we might not be able to do that.

It could be a secret sign, a code to indicate the righteous.

Good comparison with the Tories , fake ice cream
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited April 2013

s.

Ken Livingstone and Bridget Christie
  • Options

Congrats, Miss Cyclefree :)

Mr. G, I slightly disagree. Did you read the article? Reportedly he also tweeted some things about May which were far more distasteful and certainly not the sort of thing a serving police sergeant should be writing about the serving Home Secretary.

On Ding, Dong: play it. It's ridiculous not to. I'm not anti-Thatcher and I think it's slightly childish that that song is number one, but people have the right to be distasteful/offensive/poke fun at the dead. The BBC assuming the mantle of moral guardian after the Newsnight debacles is at the same time ludicrous and hilarious.

Morris, certainly very unpleasant , but I do not think he should be ousted from his job because of it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A different Dido has perhaps more apposite lyrics (and Mrs Thatcher would have approved of the no-surrender sentiments):

I know you think that I shouldn't still love you,
    Or tell you that.
    But if I didn't say it, well I'd still have felt it
    where's the sense in that?

I promise I'm not trying to make your life harder
    Or return to where we were

I will go down with this ship
    And I won't put my hands up and surrender
    There will be no white flag above my door
    I'm in love and always will be

I know I left too much mess and
    destruction to come back again
    And I caused nothing but trouble
    I understand if you can't talk to me again

And if you live by the rules of "it's over"
    then I'm sure that that makes sense

And when we meet
    Which I'm sure we will
    All that was there
    Will be there still
    I'll let it pass
    And hold my tongue
    And you will think
    That I've moved on....

• Options
    @Antifrank

They should have gone for the song with these lyrics

With a bit of rock music, everything is fine,
    You're in the mood for a dance,
    And when you get the chance...

No one would have objected to such fine music.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    @JamesKelly: Thank you. If she does register and vote, I will follow the campaign with more than normal interest though I am generally in favour of countries being independent if that's what they want.

There's a part of me that would be saddened if the UK came to an end but I do feel that those who do want the UK to continue have been very poor at putting a positive case. Trying to scare people into staying with you does not seem to me to be a fruitful long-term strategy.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Never heard of the woman. Mind you, last time he had Alan Duncan (who's ok) and Marcus Brigstocke. The guests will hopefully be irrelevant.

Mr. G, as I've stated many times, I'm a strong supporter of free speech (the police investigation into Paris Brown, 'unkempt' etc are silly). But the comments, which I shan't repeat, he's alleged to have made are really not on for a serving policeman.

Does he deserve to 'resign'? Not sure.
  • Options

Never heard of the woman. Mind you, last time he had Alan Duncan (who's ok) and Marcus Brigstocke. The guests will hopefully be irrelevant.

Mr. G, as I've stated many times, I'm a strong supporter of free speech (the police investigation into Paris Brown, 'unkempt' etc are silly). But the comments, which I shan't repeat, he's alleged to have made are really not on for a serving policeman.

Does he deserve to 'resign'? Not sure.

He'll dominate the show like last time.

He and Bruce (and Boris) are my favourite presenters.

I was in the audience when Bruce Forsythe did his stint.

Play Your Iraqi Cards right was hysterical
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Damian Thompson picks up the Gosnell story.

“Dr Kermit Gosnell: truly horrifying allegations of the murder of babies that the US media are playing down”

SeanT must have had a word with his fellow blogger at the Telegraph.

BTW, belated congrats on your appointment MrT.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

malcolmg said:

Well what can you say about the BBC, they banned Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax.

I still don't get the connection between Maggie and that Wizard of Oz song.

Can someone please tell me whether she was ever found guilty of witchcraft?

Oh, and isn't said song incitement to racial hatred against the witch community?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited April 2013

malcolmg said:

Oh, and isn't said song incitement to racial hatred against the witch community?
    She was never found guilty of Witchcraft as she refused to be burned at the stake or dunked under water.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    tim said:

@LanashireTory

Michael Gove is busy alienating the Tory vote, activists and councillor in those seats.

Gove is busy trying to raise standards of education in our schools and giving working class kids a chance, something you should approve of.

Labour are still in charge of education in Wales, together with the NHS, I must have asked you 20 times over the last few months how they are performing and you have never once replied.

Instead of your pathetic lies, sneering and smearing why for once don't you be a man and answer the question?

Any shred of credibility you have will be lost forever if you duck the question yet again.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ding Dong still currently number 1 on ITunes

I'm in Love With Margaret Thatcher number 20 at the moment

But they should have started earlier, they gave Ding Dong a too much lead with previous days when I'm in Love was nowhere. In this morning weekly update Ding Dong was 3 overall and I'm in Love at 75.

They should focus on pushing it up next week when Ding Dong would have finished its mission.
  • Options
    Well the scarf he's wearing is screaming "gayer"

Homophobic teacher loses appeal against classroom ban

High court upholds ban on Christian teacher Robert Haye who told pupils lifestyle of gay people was 'disgusting and a sin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/apr/12/homophobic-teacher-loses-ban-appeal
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Arthur Scargill still as blunt as ever, after receiving a text 'Thatcher dead' his reply 'Scargill alive!'
  • Options
    Different perspective from Salon on the Gosnell story:

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/12/there_is_no_gosnell_coverup/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Have just bought my copy of 'I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher' on Amazon!
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited April 2013
    I hope you'll all be satisfied, you righttards and lefttards, when some poor copper, or protester, or innocent bystander gets hurt, or killed, as a result of your pathetic feud. You disgust me. You're all so wrapped up in your petty, tribal hatred, and nothing is going to stop you from venting your fury or showing your grief. This country is turning into a joke.

One thing that Thatcher has done for me, in her death, has made my mind up. I'm never voting Conservative, or Labour, ever again. I'll vote everytime I'm able, but for somebody else.

Still, at least it sets a precedent. I'll be allowed to dance on the graves of anybody I want.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Re: May elections.

The New Statesman have published a full list of candidates by party, that differs slightly to the PB one.

Total for England - 2,360 seats

Con 2,258 95.7% (per cent of seats contested)
    Lab 2,174 92.1%
    Lib Dem 1,756 74.4%
    UKIP 1,734 73.5%
    Green 882 37.3%
    Independent 648 27.5%
    Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition 119 5.0%
    BNP 101 4.3%
    English Democrats 38 1.6%
    Others 126

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/ukip-shows-strength-ahead-local-elections

Con 2,249
    Lab 2,165
    LDem 1,760
    UKIP 1,727
    Green 877
    BNP 100
    TUSC 116
    Liberal 11
    Meb K 25
    Ind/Others 782

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/04/09/ukip-are-fielding-candidates-in-three-quarters-of-the-local-seats-up-on-may-2nd/
  • Options
    Looking at some of the party goers I'm not so sure it's particularly "hard" any more.

More Art student than artisan....
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Totally OT but this had me both squirming in horror and LOL - a very detailed guide to kissing a girl for the first time when you're 21...

It's the sort of thing that Sheldon would write - if he'd ever kissed a girl... http://www.happyplace.com/23114/reddits-very-creepy-advice-on-having-your-first-kiss-at-21
  • Options
    The iniquities of the Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Act 2011 are exposed in this article on the BBC website. It is very dubious to describe the United Kingdom as a free country while this sort of thing is going on.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Totally OT but this had me both squirming in horror and LOL - a very detailed guide to kissing a girl for the first time when you're 21...

It's the sort of thing that Sheldon would write - if he'd ever kissed a girl... http://www.happyplace.com/23114/reddits-very-creepy-advice-on-having-your-first-kiss-at-21

Why thank you, Penny.

Sorry, Plato. Did I just call you Penny?

[canned laughter]

:)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Its not the memories of Thatcher which the Conservatives have to fear in northern England but the realities of Cameron and Osborne.

That the Conservatives did worse in the urban North than a generation ago is widely known, they also did worse in the urban South. In compensation they did better in the industrial sprawl which surrounds the more big urban areas whether in the North or South.

If the Conservatives are to win a general election in 2020 they'll be doing so by gaining seats such as Don Valley, Grimsby, Morley, Penistone and Wakefield which they haven't won in living memory, if ever.

I'm not sure who would be more distressed by this outcome, the residents of Notting Hill or the residents of Primrose Hill.

Perhaps Avery could give his views ;-)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

She was never found guilty of Witchcraft as she refused to be burned at the stake or dunked under water.
    The song is still an incitement to racial hatred against witches!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Why do I keep reading things from people saying that the South Shields by-election "has been set for" or "will be held on" 2nd May?

Even if David Milibvand resigns as an MP imminently (he hasn't done so yet), and even if the writ is moved at the earliest possible opportunity (Monday 15th April), then the earliest possible date for the by-election would be Monday 6th May. Day 0 = 15th April; Day 15 = 6th May.

The intervening dates to do with the publication of the notice of election, or the deadline for receiving nominations (etc.) are irrelevant, because Day 15 is calculated from the date of the receipt of the writ.

Either there is something very basic and fundamental which I have completely missed or misunderstood, or there is something basic and fundamental which other people have missed or misunderstood.
  • Options
    I predict I'm in Love with Margharet Thatcher to be in tomorrow's daily itunes top 10.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I'm not sure who would be more distressed by this outcome, the residents of Notting Hill or the residents of Primrose Hill.

Perhaps Avery could give his views ;-)

Avery is in mourning.

He will reply after the wake on Wednesday.

P.S. I have 346 downloads of "I'm in Love with Margaret Thatcher" by the Insensibles on my pc. Does anyone know whether the licence is transferable?

• Options

TSE, I'm in your neck of the woods November 15th for Depeche. I was going to ask you for a recommendation for a cheapish hotel near the MEN, but a quick google throws up a plethora of suitable rooms.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Whilst I think this Witch is Dead vs I Love Thatcher stuff is immensely juvenile - I did laugh when I saw the hashtag #GranthamStyle.

Apparently the Mrs T love single is now at #12 in the charts.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    tim said:

@TwistedFireStarter.

It's tiny obsessive minorities on both sides.
    There were an extra 164,000 newspapers sold the Day after Thatcher died, that's all.
    And there's been about 30,000 downloads by idiots on both sides.

It's 0.033% of the population who are involved in this crap, maximum

That assumes that no-one's downloaded more than once. The true figure is probably a good deal lower.
  • Options

TSE, I'm in your neck of the woods November 15th for Depeche. I was going to ask you for a recommendation for a cheapish hotel near the MEN, but a quick google throws up a plethora of suitable rooms.
    Delta Machine reached number 2 in the album charts last week! (I'm seeing the Mode in May at the O2 London).
This discussion has been closed.