Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB MP in ultra-marginal seat charged with perverting the cour

13»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    Coming up on Sky

Trump and Junckers press conference

Just look at the two of them and weep
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Coming up on Sky

Popcorn on standby.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    RobD said:

Well this is going to make Boris Johnson even more unattractive to Tory MPs.

twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1022207214289866753

I’m convinced he’s missed his shot.
    He has been tested in high office and found to be wanting. There is nothing more that needs to be said.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

Oops 70 out 79 MP's under investigation for bullying, sexual harassment and corruption are Conservative, and you will not find out :

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mps-vote-keep-identities-secret-14931428

Not what it says, to be fair - rather, that 70 Conservative MPs voted to keep the findings secret and 0 voted for openness. 22 Opposition MPs voted for openness, 9 for secrecy.
    And 543 didn't vote at all...
    I think most MPs have pushed off, unable to stand the excitement of a couple of days without major votes.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I'd like some off-topic advice, if I may.

In a couple of weeks I'm planning to drive up to the Edinburgh / Glasgow area to do some walking (including the Forth / Clyde canal between the two). My wife's signed my exeat slip, and I was planning to base myself in Edinburgh for the first three or four nights - I love the city and I love staying there.

Unfortunately I've just realised that the Festival is on, and that the Edinburgh hotels are mahoosively expensive, even if I can get in. I have to go that week and cannot delay. So I'm looking for a reasonable, preferably cheapish hotel or B&B somewhere between the two, with parking and convenient for a good station to either city. Can anyone recommend one, or what sort of town / station I should be looking at?

TIA.

I'd stay in Glasgow and take the train.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    calum said:

In a couple of weeks I'm planning to drive up to the Edinburgh / Glasgow area to do some walking (including the Forth / Clyde canal between the two). My wife's signed my exeat slip, and I was planning to base myself in Edinburgh for the first three or four nights - I love the city and I love staying there.

Unfortunately I've just realised that the Festival is on, and that the Edinburgh hotels are mahoosively expensive, even if I can get in. I have to go that week and cannot delay. So I'm looking for a reasonable, preferably cheapish hotel or B&B somewhere between the two, with parking and convenient for a good station to either city. Can anyone recommend one, or what sort of town / station I should be looking at?

TIA.

Get tae Falkirk!

On the fast line between the two cities.
    Another option would be Stirling which is a bit more historic than Falkirk with similar transport links
    However there isn't a comedy show catchphrase associated with Stirling.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Coming up on Sky

It really is the Morecambe and Wise or Laurel and Hardy of the political world. Pure comedy. The two, so called leaders of the free world could turn up at the fringe as "The Bozo Brothers."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I don't know if PB-ers are following the recent "terror" incident in Toronto (I doubt it), but this is fascinating as an exercise in What Not To Say if you are a liberal clown with a column in a national paper.

The facts are that two died in the carnage, including a little ten year old girl, and many are injured, some critically. The original mental health explanation has now receded, with some indications of radicalisaton. The killer was certainly from a dodgy family, brother had many guns, drugs, convictions etc. ISIS have claimed responsibility (though they do that a lot, and does not prove much).

Right now it looks very suspicious, though we cannot know for sure. And then this guy writes this. And tweets it thus:

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1022163303274098688

Why are you surprised? That is the expected point of view of a progressive.
    It's still pretty off the dial, even for the Holier Than Thou Canadians.

Look at this, by contrast: China simply erases Islam, bans Ramadan, and will not tolerate any pissing about with beards and whatnot. Basically, fuck Islam.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/07/24/islamic-leaders-have-nothing-to-say-about-chinas-internment-camps-for-muslims/

This is why the Chinese will win the coming wars, and we will lose, until acid attacks on toddlers in Worcester become part of the rich national fabric, and we are reduced to the Queen begging Muslims not to kill us, please, ta v much, on live national TV, every Eid.
    Read this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/5d38c003-c54a-4513-a369-f9eae0d52f91
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Coming up on Sky

It really is the Morecambe and Wise or Laurel and Hardy of the political world. Pure comedy. The two, so called leaders of the free world could turn up at the fringe as "The Bozo Brothers."
    The world isn't free.

Those two would charge the very flies in their greasy hair rent.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

calum said:

TIA.

Get tae Falkirk!

Another option would be Stirling which is a bit more historic than Falkirk with similar transport links
    However there isn't a comedy show catchphrase associated with Stirling.
    other than Sterling's lost possession, again.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    SeanT said:

Sky reporting

Father in Court over suspected acid attack on his 3 year old son

Words fail me

Execute him.
    "Suspected" at this stage, so before passing sentence it might be better to find out if he actually did it
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Coming up on Sky

The world isn't free.

Of course one is elected and the other is not.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Coming up on Sky

The world isn't free.

Of course one is elected and the other is not.
    True, Juncker was the candidate of the European People's Party for Commission Chief, while Trump of course came a poor second. :wink:
  • Options
    They should have said 'After last year, Morris Dancers can whiffle for service here.'
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

BBC update:

"An MP has been charged with perverting the course of justice over allegedly lying about who was behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44957896

I have just won my largest ever political bet by correctly predicting the party of the MP from the fact that the BBC headline did not say "A [party name] MP has been charged...". Sadly this bet was with myself.
    Not the headline but the first words of the story are now (in bold): A Labour MP has been charged, so perhaps your bet should be settled as a dead heat.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Without wanting to jump the gun can we look forward to Stewart Jackson announcing his candidacy live on pb?

I am not Toby's biggest fan and I didn't defend him when the furore occurred but this is a well written piece that's made me think again. I'll give his sincerity the benefit of the doubt.

https://quillette.com/2018/07/23/the-public-humiliation-diet/
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I don't know if PB-ers are following the recent "terror" incident in Toronto (I doubt it), but this is fascinating as an exercise in What Not To Say if you are a liberal clown with a column in a national paper.

The facts are that two died in the carnage, including a little ten year old girl, and many are injured, some critically. The original mental health explanation has now receded, with some indications of radicalisaton. The killer was certainly from a dodgy family, brother had many guns, drugs, convictions etc. ISIS have claimed responsibility (though they do that a lot, and does not prove much).

Right now it looks very suspicious, though we cannot know for sure. And then this guy writes this. And tweets it thus:

Look at this, by contrast: China simply erases Islam, bans Ramadan, and will not tolerate any pissing about with beards and whatnot. Basically, fuck Islam.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/07/24/islamic-leaders-have-nothing-to-say-about-chinas-internment-camps-for-muslims/

This is why the Chinese will win the coming wars, and we will lose, until acid attacks on toddlers in Worcester become part of the rich national fabric, and we are reduced to the Queen begging Muslims not to kill us, please, ta v much, on live national TV, every Eid.
    I had a an amusing conversation the other day with some very progressive lawyers.

I explained that I was thinking of adopting the cultural traditions of my wife's native country. This includes the concept of "Ronda Campesina". The wikipedia article is startling for what it leaves out. Think the Law of Lek multiplied by Hot Trodd...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216

calum said:

TIA.

Get tae Falkirk!

Thanks for the replies. I've been to both places before, but don't know them well. I'll have a look into the logistics of it tomorrow.
    Linlithgow is a bit more picturesque than Falkirk & on the same line.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
  • Options
    After the Cliff Richard thing, is anyone surprised that the police and media playing it low key. As opposed to helicopters over her house etc...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

calum said:

TIA.

Get tae Falkirk!

Thanks for the replies. I've been to both places before, but don't know them well. I'll have a look into the logistics of it tomorrow.
    Linlithgow is a bit more picturesque than Falkirk & on the same line.
    Hmmm. Thanks for that. I've never been there, and know nothing about it - and it would be great to visit somewhere new.

Again thanks for all the replies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TIA.

I'd stay in Glasgow and take the train.
    That's what I did last September - stayed near Charing Cross (the other one!), and had direct trains to Edinburgh and Balloch (near Loch Lomond). Also changed at Queen Street to do one of the other direct routes to Edinburgh. Also ended up doing the Subway, Edinburgh Tram and the Glasgow to Ayr route, and visted North Queensferry by train, and South Queensferry by bus from Edinburgh.
  • Options

After the Cliff Richard thing, is anyone surprised that the police and media playing it low key. As opposed to helicopters over her house etc...
    The surprising thing is not that there were no reports before she was charged. That's actually responsible and sensible. It's also a good reason for not naming people under investigation (cf OchAye's rantings). Otherwise in this day you do get trial by media.

What's unusual is that there was no reporting after her initial hearing, which does strike me as odd. Her work as a Labour whip isn't a good enough excuse for that. There must be something else and I'm curious to know what.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

BBC update:

"An MP has been charged with perverting the course of justice over allegedly lying about who was behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle."

I have just won my largest ever political bet by correctly predicting the party of the MP from the fact that the BBC headline did not say "A [party name] MP has been charged...". Sadly this bet was with myself.
    Not the headline but the first words of the story are now (in bold): A Labour MP has been charged, so perhaps your bet should be settled as a dead heat.
    The Telegraph headline describes her as: Jeremy Corbyn ally!
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/25/jeremy-corbyn-ally-charged-perverting-course-justice/
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Juncker wins hands down. No contest.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

BBC update:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/25/jeremy-corbyn-ally-charged-perverting-course-justice/
    I thought the BBC has form on putting the word Tory in headlines but not Labour. The Telegraph is partisan.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

BBC update:

The Telegraph considers anyone who hates Corbyn slightly less than I do to be his ally.

This definition includes some people who are certainly not his allies, say, Michael Gove.

So I wouldn't get too worked up over that.
  • Options
    surby said:

Hasn’t realised there was a Cognac drinking contest.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surby said:

Hasn’t realised there was a Cognac drinking contest.
    They were both pathetic with pre pared speeches and no questions.

Just bland and not a chance of agreement

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I had a an amusing conversation the other day with some very progressive lawyers.

I explained that I was thinking of adopting the cultural traditions of my wife's native country. This includes the concept of "Ronda Campesina". The wikipedia article is startling for what it leaves out. Think the Law of Lek multiplied by Hot Trodd...
    YAY for them!

I would happily join a Primrose Hill peasant militia, to root out and eliminate 1. Muslims with dodgy views, and 2. moped acid gangs. And maybe 3. cars drivers that play horrible music way too loud at the junction of Delancey and Parkway during rush hour in a very hot summer while I am trying to write my new thriller
    I know where I'm heading tomorrow with my boombox and roadbreaker!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Or perhaps, unusually unforthcoming......
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Hurrah for President Juncker :)

Trump, Juncker Announce Deal Pulling Back From U.S.-EU Trade War https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2018-07-25/trump-juncker-reach-deal-to-ease-trade-tensions-dow-jones-says-jk1jtfs8
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Trump, Juncker Announce Deal Pulling Back From U.S.-EU Trade War https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2018-07-25/trump-juncker-reach-deal-to-ease-trade-tensions-dow-jones-says-jk1jtfs8

Nonsense. Trump said they could withdraw any time they wanted and wanted zero tariffs and easier regulation, ie chlorinated chicken
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAY for them!

I would happily join a Primrose Hill peasant militia, to root out and eliminate 1. Muslims with dodgy views, and 2. moped acid gangs. And maybe 3. cars drivers that play horrible music way too loud at the junction of Delancey and Parkway during rush hour in a very hot summer while I am trying to write my new thriller
    The really funny bit about the Rondas is that the modern version was invented by Vladimiro Montesinos - former head of the Peruvian Intelligence service. He read all the revolutionary tracts, including Mao and Ho Chi Mhin. And applied all their ideas to the fight *against* the Shining Path.

The idea of the Rondas was to give the peasants the backing of the state to fight their own revolution - which they did with classic revolutionary.... er... fervour.

• Options

Foxy said:

Nonsense. Trump said they could withdraw any time they wanted and wanted zero tariffs and easier regulation, ie chlorinated chicken
    I saw the whole press conference. There was no commitment from either side. Europe has to buy soyabean and now as China has moved to Brazil, prices there have shot up and US prices have fallen. It also makes Trump happy to tell agitated farmers.

Auto tariffs are off the table. And they will go "towards" no tariff on non-Auto goods.

What has EU exactly conceded ? Nothing.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Cyclefree said:

Sky reporting

Father in Court over suspected acid attack on his 3 year old son

Words fail me

Separated from the mother. Apparently an Afghan asylum seeker and he was intending to harm his wife not his son. Not that that changes anything.

One hopes that, if convicted, that’s the end of his asylum claim and he’s on the first plane back to Kabul.
    Unless some activist stopped the plane from taking off.
  • Options
    Do we know who Fiona Onasanya and her brother were claiming was driving the car ?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    ERG == Economic Ruin Group: Adonis.
  • Options
    surby said:

Foxy said:

I saw the whole press conference. There was no commitment from either side. Europe has to buy soyabean and now as China has moved to Brazil, prices there have shot up and US prices have fallen. It also makes Trump happy to tell agitated farmers.

Auto tariffs are off the table. And they will go "towards" no tariff on non-Auto goods.

I heard it all as well and Trump told the EU to drop all it's tariffs and to ease regulations.

If you think anything Trump says gives a guarantee Auto tariffs are off the table you are being naive

He also said either side can withdraw at anytime
  • Options
    This really doesn't do the image of the government good in northern England.

' The Rail Minister yesterday announced that London’s Crossrail has run £600m over budget - a revelation critics said would be would be “poorly received” in the North.

Jo Johnson slipped out the announcement that the rail scheme’s budget has been increased from £14.8bn to £15.4bn on the last day of the parliamentary term, alongside a raft of other ministerial statements.

The £600m increase is 10 times the initial £60m funding provided for Transport for the North to develop the so-called HS3, or Crossrail for the North, scheme to boost links across the regions. '

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crossrail-going-600m-over-budget-will-be-poorly-received-in-the-north-1-9267861
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAY for them!

Can we add people who sit in their driveways or gardens, of a balmy evening, for hours, shouting down a mobile phone to friends and family?

Are they not aware that these devices have speakers?

Yours, Mr Grumpy.
  • Options

Adonis = UHB = Unelected Has-Been
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

Do we know who Fiona Onasanya and her brother were claiming was driving the car ?

Vicky Pryce.
  • Options
    So it would be something which is great for the economy ?
  • Options

Adonis = UHB = Unelected Has-Been
    We will see. At the moment he looks to be one of the most energetic people fighting this utter madness.
  • Options

Vicky Pryce.
    Nah, she's too busy appearing on the news as a talking head - from time to time!
  • Options

Vicky Pryce.
    I heard it was Lord Lucan
  • Options

A name was mentioned earlier but it seems to have been removed, so it may have been wrong and I won't repeat it. It was not an English name, looked Russian or Ukrainian to me.

Put it this way, it wasn't somebody wealthy or famous.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

YAY for them!

Can we add people who sit in their driveways or gardens, of a balmy evening, for hours, shouting down a mobile phone to friends and family?

Are they not aware that these devices have speakers?

Yours, Mr Grumpy.
    I have become used to emojis and incontinent lol usage without too much grumping,, but the use of reaction GIFs on social media should result in instant hanging for the guilty party..
  • Options

Vicky Pryce.
    If only they had said Constance Briscoe.

Is Vicky Pryce still shacked up with Mike's old mate Macshane ?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    ydoethur said:

A name was mentioned earlier but it seems to have been removed, so it may have been wrong and I won't repeat it. It was not an English name, looked Russian or Ukrainian to me.

Put it this way, it wasn't somebody wealthy or famous.
    Do we know if it was the same car involved for each of the cases ?
  • Options

surby said:

Foxy said:

I heard it all as well and Trump told the EU to drop all it's tariffs and to ease regulations.

If you think anything Trump says gives a guarantee Auto tariffs are off the table you are being naive

He also said either side can withdraw at anytime
    The EU side ensured that any side breaks the "talks", the whole thing is off ! Trump needs EU purchase of soybeans until November.
This discussion has been closed.