Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amazingly TMay makes it to the long summer recess and she’s st

13»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Here we go: Comrade you appeared to have misunderstood article 15b, section 8 of the Great Plan, I suggest it is time for some reeducation at one of our superb educational retreats in Siberia.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1022018613580947456
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Foxy said:

currystar said:

Honestly , food shortages???? What utter nonsense.

Talked about by the same people who expected that the crops would rot in the field in 2017 and then expected that the crops would rot in the field in 2018.
    Talkwd about by the Government minister in charge of Brexit.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-44884882
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    Foxy said:

currystar said:

Talked about by the same people who expected that the crops would rot in the field in 2017 and then expected that the crops would rot in the field in 2018.
    I'll take that as an acceptance that the food hasn't rotted in the fields as talked about excitedly by Remainers on PB.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not even accurate, as Wales voted out. I know Carwyn Jones grumbles but he's out in two months anyway (looks like Drakeford will replace him).
    You pick that out as the most noteworthy point?

Me, I'm most interested in the blue highlighter. Clearly there is a tune to go with these lyrics, a choral society lined up to sing it and Nancy is being pencilled in for a solo - lucky Nancy.

I'm unclear about the meaning of "Upminster?" My early thoughts is that it is a reference to the tube map and Thomasina is eight stops beyond Barking.
    Twitter is saying that Upminster is a psalm tune, which would make sense.
    Well, I've found it, after a lot of research, and it fits the words with some slurring, but it's a very obscure tune and a quick study of it reveals why. It's not in any of my hymn books, including the nineteenth century ones, and I'm at a loss to know how anyone could have found it.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AMMox_zbTiQC&pg=PP26&lpg=PP26&dq=upminster+hymn+tune&source=bl&ots=s_PBDVW9_E&sig=f5Gt1ql8x2azJlvEWb2gnwB0-bE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWycXI2rncAhWKJsAKHad8A9wQ6AEwDHoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=upminster hymn tune&f=false

(Third hit.)
    I don't think it fits more than any other random tune tbh - Upminster must mean something else.

I started singing the first verse to 'Angel Voices', or 'Guiting Power' (but that's too good a tune to profane with these words...), and you could make a case for 'Ar Hyd y Nos' to cover the chorus too. But it's too irregular for anything I can find on a quick flick through A&M. In particular, I have no idea how the "June twenty-three 20-16" line is meant to scan...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

Foxy said:

currystar said:

A Rutland patient told me yesterday that her wheat crop was looking good. In May it was a month behind, and not only has it caught up and is ready for harvesting, it is not going to need drying.

Farmers are not known for their cheerfulnuss, so it must be very good indeed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

currystar said:

A Rutland patient told me yesterday that her wheat crop was looking good. In May it was a month behind, and not only has it caught up and is ready for harvesting, it is not going to need drying.

Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves. We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Doesn't fit that Brexit hymn though.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    O/T Interesting take on Putin's Russia in today's Guardian.

"Vladimir Putin’s Russia is a creaking ship. Don’t fall for the propaganda"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/25/propaganda-putin-russia-elections
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm not too worried about short term food shortages. The rabbits out the front and the pigeons and doves in the garden should tide me over as the zombie apocalypse plays out in Waitrose.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

currystar said:

The cereal fields were being harvested in Yorkshire during the last week.

I'm rather surprised that the weather hasn't had a much more negative effect.

As you say farmers rarely miss an opportunity to bewail their woes, whether real or not.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

Anyway, I'm not too worried about short term food shortages. The rabbits out the front and the pigeons and doves in the garden should tide me over as the zombie apocalypse plays out in Waitrose.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1021817563112722432?s=19
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

currystar said:

As you say farmers rarely miss an opportunity to bewail their woes, whether real or not.
    Ha! The BBC managed to find some to have a moan for the Six O'Clock News. It was to do with cattle not having grass to eat so they're having to give them the winter feed early. To be fair I can see that being sub optimal.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Here we go: Comrade you appeared to have misunderstood article 15b, section 8 of the Great Plan, I suggest it is time for some reeducation at one of our superb educational retreats in Siberia.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1022018613580947456

She understood it all too well. Were the full IRHA definition to be adopted an awful lot of Labour members would need to be disciplined, including Corbyn himself: see here - http://hurryupharry.org/2018/07/24/the-reason-labour-cant-pass-ihra-in-full/

• Options

You can shoot?!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You can shoot?!
    My other half is Northern Irish. He has his uses.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

currystar said:

Ha! The BBC managed to find some to have a moan for the Six O'Clock News. It was to do with cattle not having grass to eat so they're having to give them the winter feed early. To be fair I can see that being sub optimal.
    I'd imagine there's going to be a shortage of winter feed this coming winter, given the limited silage cutting that's been going on around here. Food prices likely to rise?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You can shoot?!
    My other half is Northern Irish. He has his uses.
    Blimey! And there was I thinking that a chest freezer was the way to go.

Still I will have to rely on the local farmers to do my shooting for me ....... I can hardly wait for this exciting new world we’ll be living in.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

currystar said:

I'd imagine there's going to be a shortage of winter feed this coming winter, given the limited silage cutting that's been going on around here. Food prices likely to rise?
    Feed all the excess soft fruits to the cattle.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2018
    Deleted -- new thread.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not even accurate, as Wales voted out. I know Carwyn Jones grumbles but he's out in two months anyway (looks like Drakeford will replace him).
    You pick that out as the most noteworthy point?

Me, I'm most interested in the blue highlighter. Clearly there is a tune to go with these lyrics, a choral society lined up to sing it and Nancy is being pencilled in for a solo - lucky Nancy.

I'm unclear about the meaning of "Upminster?" My early thoughts is that it is a reference to the tube map and Thomasina is eight stops beyond Barking.
    Twitter is saying that Upminster is a psalm tune, which would make sense.
    Well, I've found it, after a lot of research, and it fits the words with some slurring, but it's a very obscure tune and a quick study of it reveals why. It's not in any of my hymn books, including the nineteenth century ones, and I'm at a loss to know how anyone could have found it.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AMMox_zbTiQC&pg=PP26&lpg=PP26&dq=upminster+hymn+tune&source=bl&ots=s_PBDVW9_E&sig=f5Gt1ql8x2azJlvEWb2gnwB0-bE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWycXI2rncAhWKJsAKHad8A9wQ6AEwDHoECAEQAQ#v=onepage&q=upminster hymn tune&f=false

(Third hit.)
    I don't think it fits more than any other random tune tbh - Upminster must mean something else.

I started singing the first verse to 'Angel Voices', or 'Guiting Power' (but that's too good a tune to profane with these words...), and you could make a case for 'Ar Hyd y Nos' to cover the chorus too. But it's too irregular for anything I can find on a quick flick through A&M. In particular, I have no idea how the "June twenty-three 20-16" line is meant to scan...
    If it is a specific tune, it's more likely to be a patriotic one. I've tried the usual suspects and it doesn't fit. It might be 'Twas In Trafalgar's Bay but again that's quite obscure.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Nigelb said:

The carriers seem to be a luxury the rest of the navy has been sacrificed for.

If we really need them, would we have been better off rebuilding the rest of the fleet first and waiting until more funds were available (which would have had the added benefit of waiting to see if the F35 was ever going to be a reliable airframe for carrier operations before ordering it, and making an informed and less costly decision on what kind of catapult system to opt for...) ?

Carrier aviation is difficult. Very difficult. We stopped doing serious fixed wing aviation in 2006 and just played at it until 2010. If we had waited any longer for QEC we would simply have no organisational knowledge or culture of carrier operations. We have already had some RN officers in the US Navy for six years in order to keep their skills current. If we hadn't had a new carrier ready by about now then would have been almost impossible to rebuild the capability from scratch.

Anything but STOVL/SRVL was never an option for the RN despite the transient flirtation with F-35C as CATOBAR aviation comes with an incredible training requirement. On my CVW-11 exchange deployment we trained for almost a full year before deployment! The RN has neither the materiel or the people to allow a CSG and its air wing to do nothing but exclusively train together for that long.

On the QEC the space that would have been occupied by the catapults is now the command centre so the question is moot now and will not be revisited.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Emotive language used in this report:

Excluded pupils 'abandoned by schools' in England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44941691

I notice however that while full of concern for those who due to their own efforts get kicked out (belatedly, in my experience) they don't make any mention of the potential negative impact on other children of keeping them in school.

And the rhetoric in that report gives scant attention to the lack of resources which lies at threat of the problem. The difficulty in getting EHCP funding for some of these kids is notorious, and many PRUs are running at capacity.

Schools are left with a perverse choice between the welfare of the few and the many, which is particularly acute with children displaying extreme behaviour problems.
    One teacher told me that such pupils were generally referred to as LFB's.

The first initial stands for "Little" the last for "Bastards" and I'm sure you can guess what the middle initial stands for.
    As usual Terry Pratchett has the best description with Jason.

(From memory) If Jason was a weapon he would have been banned by international treaty. He bit, he spat, he punched, he kicked. Jason was undoubtedly a child with special needs. In the view of the staff room these began with exorcism.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    ydoethur said:

That was one hot sticky night.
    Rain, a hearfelt message from us to you:
    We were wrong to be so unkind about you. We took you for granted. All we did was complain. But now we realise we can’t live without you. We are half of what we should be. Please come home.
    Love, the UK x

I did a walk in Northamptonshire on Sunday, and encountered some light drizzle as I climbed up to the top of Honey Hill. I stretched out my arms and let the drops hit my face.

It was a marvellous 22 mile stroll on a very warm day (actually 24, because *ahem* I went wrong in a couple of places). But best of all was the drizzle - and it's not often I say that!

Back in May when Severn Trent reservoirs were at 96% capacity I foolishly said there would be no hosepipe ban this summer. Even then, I had a vaguely uneasy feeling that I could be inviting drought. Now I know. This is all my fault!!
    I have mentioned that prediction to you on a couple of occasions. ;)
    As recently as the start of June, reservoir levels under Severn Trent were at 91% of capacity. It should also be noted that they have only one major reservoir chain - the Derwent - below 60% at the moment. By contrast Thirlmere is down to 48% (I'm guessing those fires had something to do with that). Annoyingly I can't find the details for Blithefield, but the Clywedog reservoir (our other major source of water) is still at 85%.

So it's not certain the Midlands will have a hosepipe ban, or even especially likely. A dry autumn and it might be a different story next year.
    I drove from Yorkshire to Shrewbury yesterday and it rained all the way from Leek to Market Drayton.
This discussion has been closed.