Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo’s resignation speech – some reaction

13»

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    kle4 said:

I don't wish to belabor the point, but how can she be in the same party which is led by an anti-semite? (her description, reportedly, she was apparently much stronger on that point than anyone else has been re Corbyn's personal culpability). It surely is not a sustainable position. She would not need to alter her voting pattern by not taking the Labour whip after all, so it is only a question of what the position would be for the next election and the party, and would she really stand for them if they have not resolved their problems on the issue by then?
    It must be a difficult one to her. But she has been an MP for Labour for 24 years, and in local politics for 45 years. She is loyal Labour through and through, and may think that the Corbynite infection and the resultant anti-Semitism and general shittiness is not reflective of the wider party (and she might well be right).

If she was to leave Labour then she would have no voice or power to change things. She would be helping surrender the party to such people.

A question is why anyone in Labour would want someone with her record of working for the party to leave?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    dixiedean said:

OT Manx Missile defused. He only just finished and has missed the cut-off point. Out of Tour.

Marcel Kittel as well. Hard work carrying chunky thighs up those mountains.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Today it was an actual* dead sheep. The performance by Boris today was nothing like Howe in November 1990.

*Not literally.
    Right. I read it first as implying that Howe's was also a dead sheep, which I assumed you meant ironically but then such a statement would apply to all resignation speeches, hence my confusion.
    Wasn’t reference to Thatchers remark that being attached by Geoffrey Howe is “like being savages by a dead sheep”. Ie it was Howe that was the sheep, not the speech
    Healey, not Thatcher.
    I don't think she said anything nearly as witty in her entire career.
    Did she say that every prime minister needs a Willie (not sure how his name is spelt)?
    By accident.
    Tbh that was the best bit about it, she was clearly a strong person and I don't think many would call her stupid (however much you disagree with her) but around stuff like that it is almost an adorable naivety.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Cliff is being interviewed by a total moron on ITV. It must have taken a lot of restraint not to walk out.

He’s been doing this for longer than most of us have been alive.

While I’m glad he won - the BBC’s reporting was grossly intrusive - I am worried about the judgment that says “any reporting of the search” was intrusive - I think a simple one line statement would have sufficed in case there were any potential victims who hadn’t come forward. But live broadcasting from a helicopter of the search!
    Isn't publicising his arrest for any reason prejudicial? No less so if it's a trawl for witnesses. If there's sufficient evidence to bring charges that's one thing but if there isn't -which there wasn't in this case-then it's an outrage. It has ruined his reputation and no fishing expedition that could have unearthed another complainant makes it reasonable.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

kle4 said:

I don't wish to belabor the point, but how can she be in the same party which is led by an anti-semite? (her description, reportedly, she was apparently much stronger on that point than anyone else has been re Corbyn's personal culpability). It surely is not a sustainable position. She would not need to alter her voting pattern by not taking the Labour whip after all, so it is only a question of what the position would be for the next election and the party, and would she really stand for them if they have not resolved their problems on the issue by then?
    It must be a difficult one to her. But she has been an MP for Labour for 24 years, and in local politics for 45 years. She is loyal Labour through and through, and may think that the Corbynite infection and the resultant anti-Semitism and general shittiness is not reflective of the wider party (and she might well be right).

If she was to leave Labour then she would have no voice or power to change things. She would be helping surrender the party to such people.

A question is why anyone in Labour would want someone with her record of working for the party to leave?
    I think the view of Hodge and others is that it’s the racists that need to leave “their” party. The question is when will they realise that those they dispise are now firmly in charge and going nowhere? Can’t be easy for those who have given their whole lives to a cause.

PS thanks for Blue Origin link earlier, another good flight.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Oh thats no good there was a detailed response to each of the points made about the new code but its not copied.

Give up

Goodmight
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. The 13 boys from the Thai football team are a wonderful advert for Buddhism
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Roger said:

Were the rescuers predominantly Buddhist?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    O tempora! O mores! An hour has passed since anyone mentioned Boris on a thread dedicated to his resignation speech. The dogs bark and the caravan moves on.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I think the view of Hodge and others is that it’s the racists that need to leave “their” party. The question is when will they realise that those they dispise are now firmly in charge and going nowhere? Can’t be easy for those who have given their whole lives to a cause.

It was. These New Shepard flights are seen by some (mainly SpaceX fans) as silly little hops, but they're testing lots of things that will be needed by the much larger New Glenn rocket in 2020. They're also doing lots of science on board, and will be providing flights to the public.

My own personal view (with little evidence to back it up) is that they're working on much more than the New Glenn and the Blue Moon systems. For instance, there're rumours that they've offered to design and build the Exploration Upper Stage for the SLS.

Blue Origin versus SpaceX is going to be fascinating. I hope they both 'win' (which is possible as they have different aims, which coincidentally both involve rockets. But the rockets are a means to different ends).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

kle4 said:

I am sure it would be tremendously difficult, and I've no doubt she does think Corbyn and co are not reflective of 'her' party, but they are in charge, and well supported, and if she thinks so little of him on a major issue the old question of 'Why do you want such a person to be PM?' always crops up.

I appreciate as I have never felt the pull of party loyalty, seen the good it can engender, my perspective is vastly different from those like Hodge, but the character and policies of a party are not immutable, even the ones they might claim to be immutable. They change, sometimes for the worse. Sometimes so much that even people who have put decades into it surely have to ask if they still belong there, if they really can still change it for the better, or if a line has been crossed. If someone thinks their leader is an anti-semite, and that leader carries massive support, how can a line not have been crossed.
  • Options

Oh thats no good there was a detailed response to each of the points made about the new code but its not copied.

Give up

Goodmight
    Apparently it states 'Chakrabarti recommended that Labour members should resist the use of Hitler, Nazi and Holocaust metaphors, distortions and comparisons in debates about Israel-Palestine in particular'

Not really sure why people would feel such an urge to use those comparisons that they must resist that urge, frankly, but at least it is 'recommended'.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The whole thing - like the rescue of the Chilean miners - was a wonderful advert for humanity.

Everyday people giving up their time, money and effort - and even risking their lives - to help others. And yes, bravery by the boys and their coach.

If aliens came to view our little blue dot, they'd see Trump, the wars, the conflict, the hatred, and might feel we're not worth helping. But they'd also see little things like this, and realise we're not beyond hope.

And then Musk came along ...
  • Options
  • Options

Roger said:

The whole thing - like the rescue of the Chilean miners - was a wonderful advert for humanity.

Everyday people giving up their time, money and effort - and even risking their lives - to help others. And yes, bravery by the boys and their coach.

If aliens came to view our little blue dot, they'd see Trump, the wars, the conflict, the hatred, and might feel we're not worth helping. But they'd also see little things like this, and realise we're not beyond hope.

Didn't Star Trek Discovery namedrop Elon Musk alongside some of the greatest figures in history? I wonder how well that reference will age.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am sure it would be tremendously difficult, and I've no doubt she does think Corbyn and co are not reflective of 'her' party, but they are in charge, and well supported, and if she thinks so little of him on a major issue the old question of 'Why do you want such a person to be PM?' always crops up.

I appreciate as I have never felt the pull of party loyalty, seen the good it can engender, my perspective is vastly different from those like Hodge, but the character and policies of a party are not immutable, even the ones they might claim to be immutable. They change, sometimes for the worse. Sometimes so much that even people who have put decades into it surely have to ask if they still belong there, if they really can still change it for the better, or if a line has been crossed. If someone thinks their leader is an anti-semite, and that leader carries massive support, how can a line not have been crossed.

All political parties change. In a sane world, we would see politicians changing party much more regularly than we do - it should probably have happened with the hard left when Blair took over, for instance.

But I think for many people, politics is like a club. They don't support a party, they *are* that party, right or wrong, and it takes a heck of a lot of effort to resign from the club. The emotional connection is too great, especially when you've given years or decades of your life to the club.

There is also the power aspect, for those who care about such things: why move if the move will be downwards in terms of power and influence?

Such loyalty is not so much about rationality as it is emotions.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    A national nervous breakdown should at least provide some value bets between now and March 2019 ...
  • Options

kle4 said:

All political parties change. In a sane world, we would see politicians changing party much more regularly than we do - it should probably have happened with the hard left when Blair took over, for instance.

But I think for many people, politics is like a club. They don't support a party, they *are* that party, right or wrong, and it takes a heck of a lot of effort to resign from the club. The emotional connection is too great, especially when you've given years or decades of your life to the club.

There is also the power aspect, for those who care about such things: why move if the move will be downwards in terms of power and influence?

Such loyalty is not so much about rationality as it is emotions.
    Yes, absolutely. Even recognising the emotion of it changes should happen more often, things just change too much to make it sensible otherwise.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have no time for Anti-Semitism at all and seriously doubt that the issue would have arisen in our own politics were we still looking at the Israel of David BenGurion - Golda Meier - Levi Eschcoll or indeed Simon Peres. The shift to the extreme Right as evidenced by the oppressive policies of Netanyahu's Likud and its adoption of quasi-Apartheid policies has inevitably stirred humanitarian concerns for the plight of the Palestinian minority and created a breeding ground for Hamas and other groups.To be strongly opposed to the present Israeli Government should not be construed as Anti-Semitism - yet many appear to fail to see the difference.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Didn't Star Trek Discovery namedrop Elon Musk alongside some of the greatest figures in history? I wonder how well that reference will age.
    Probably well: SpaceX is probably now a secure proposition, and whilst Tesla seems massively over-priced, their problems can hopefully be pulled around. I don't know about about Solar City to say how well that's doing, and StarLink is a massive shot in the dark. But i think he's probably secure, and much more so than he was in 2008 or 2015.

But he can't afford to make too many more self-inflicted fubars. Like Branson or Jobs, he is a brand, and anything he touches carries cachet because of it. It is far too easy for the brand's lustre to fade.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

It was. These New Shepard flights are seen by some (mainly SpaceX fans) as silly little hops, but they're testing lots of things that will be needed by the much larger New Glenn rocket in 2020. They're also doing lots of science on board, and will be providing flights to the public.

My own personal view (with little evidence to back it up) is that they're working on much more than the New Glenn and the Blue Moon systems. For instance, there're rumours that they've offered to design and build the Exploration Upper Stage for the SLS.

Blue Origin versus SpaceX is going to be fascinating. I hope they both 'win' (which is possible as they have different aims, which coincidentally both involve rockets. But the rockets are a means to different ends).
    :+1: absolutely. The world is a better place for having three mad narcissistic billionaires competing with each other to lower the cost of spaceflight by orders of magnitude compared to what’s gone before. Good luck to them all!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I have no time for Anti-Semitism at all and seriously doubt that the issue would have arisen in our own politics were we still looking at the Israel of David BenGurion - Golda Meier - Levi Eschcoll or indeed Simon Peres. The shift to the extreme Right as evidenced by the oppressive policies of Netanyahu's Likud and its adoption of quasi-Apartheid policies has inevitably stirred humanitarian concerns for the plight of the Palestinian minority and created a breeding ground for Hamas and other groups.To be strongly opposed to the present Israeli Government should not be construed as Anti-Semitism - yet many appear to fail to see the difference.

Plenty see the difference. The problem is anti-semites pretend that you cannot criticise the Israeli government in any way without being called anti-semitic, and use it as cover. This has the additional unintended affect that it blunts criticism of those who are unreasonably saying any criticism is anti-semitic.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

A national nervous breakdown should at least provide some value bets between now and March 2019 ...
    Irish Air Force doesn't own any fighters anyway it seems.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Is he going to shoot them down? What bizarre, laughable posturing. Only EU plans fly over Ireland?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Omnium said:

And Irish commercial flights obviously only ever go west from Dublin or Shannon.
    And no Irishmen operate airlines with bases in the UK either.

If they don’t have any fighters does that mean that we do their QRA when the Russkies get too close? For the next nine months anyway.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Putin must be wetting himself over how well things are going at the moment.

I'd have thought he'd prefer Trump to be a bit more discreet. If Trump really were getting advice from a Russian handler, he's surely be advised to take a sturdy stand in principle while quietly moving to dismantle sanctions. Trump's apparent infulgence of Russia will make it harder to do anything useful for Putin, because Congress will hesitate to endorse it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

And Irish commercial flights obviously only ever go west from Dublin or Shannon.

If they don’t have any fighters does that mean that we do their QRA when the Russkies get too close? For the next nine months anyway.
    I believe that Shanwick Oceanic Contol Area is run by UK Air Traffic control. Irish planes will only be able to fly south.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Plenty see the difference. The problem is anti-semites pretend that you cannot criticise the Israeli government in any way without being called anti-semitic, and use it as cover. This has the additional unintended affect that it blunts criticism of those who are unreasonably saying any criticism is anti-semitic.
    I can accept that but am still of the view that if Israeli politics was dominated by the Israeli Labour Party as in the days of Bengurion, Meier etc, the tensions we see today would simply not arise on the same scale - and Hamas et al would be denied such a fertile breeding ground.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I'd have a little more time for that sort of comment if blame was shared around a little more. The Middle East is an absolute basketcase, with many sinners and very few saints - which is odd given the area of the world it inhabits.

I personally have many issues with the Israeli government - e.g. their utterly self-defeating policies wrt the settlements. However that is also true of the other countries and groups in that region, and they should *all* be castigated when they do wrong. For instance, your 'apartheid' comment might apply more to other countries in the region.

Instead, what we get are people who obsess on Israel and Israelis, and who never mention the sins of the other countries and groups. And when they are mentioned, they are twisted to become the fault of Israel. Such obsession is not helpful, as it will not lead to a humane solution, but instead eradication of one side or the other.

So yes, if someone repeatedly calls out Israel for sins it has committed (and often rightly so), but never calls out other groups - it starts to look like one-sidedness verging on anti-Semitism.

If a solution is to be found for the problems in the ME, it will be done by all sides admitting what they are doing wrong (and right), and trying to stop such behaviour in future.

All IMO.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think Varadkar has gone mental. Does he genuinely believe that the EU would halt all flights from the UK indefinitely? Does he think that the Americans would get on board with a huge reduction in transatlantic capacity?

Hopefully another to be consigned to the dustbin of history sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Something like that.

I really think that the Irish government is doing their nation a massive disservice in the Brexit negotiations. They should be seeking to get the benefits which the UK gets and keep the benefits of the EU, but instead they're trying to isolate themselves from a wounded UK, and use up all their favours in the EU. Baffling.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    If he said this ( I struggle to believe such loopiness is real), What an idiot. What’s he threatening? To cut us off unless we applaud his foot stamping? He’s essentially implying a Cuba style blockade. Riiight. It’s not like we’d retaliate is it? Cut the Channel off to sea traffic (that’ll screw Rotterdam). Counter blockade Ireland?

What a fool. Does he think it’s the eighteenth century? None of this is going to happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Something like that.

I really think that the Irish government is doing their nation a massive disservice in the Brexit negotiations. They should be seeking to get the benefits which the UK gets and keep the benefits of the EU, but instead they're trying to isolate themselves from a wounded UK, and use up all their favours in the EU. Baffling.
    They are asking for favours that can't be delivered. I don't see any scenario where flights from the UK to the EU would ever be cut off, especially not on an indefinite basis. I could see a week or two of disruption and then an emergency ratification of a treaty which gives the CAA recognition under the single European sky.
  • Options
    Enjoying all the hardcore Leavers opining on the loopiness of others. Stones and glass houses, darlings, stones and glass houses.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

I believe that Shanwick Oceanic Contol Area is run by UK Air Traffic control. Irish planes will only be able to fly south.
    Not strictly U.K. airspace though, I always thought it was a joint effort between Shannon and Prestwick - hence the name. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanwick_Oceanic_Control

I’m looking forward to hearing what a certain gobby Irish airline boss is going to say to Varakdar.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    Today we have seen Cliff Richard receive justice and the BBC publically shamed, the young Thai footballers entralling everyone in their first public appearance, a confident TM demonstrating Corbyn hasn't a clue, the 1922 committee endorsing her and a Brexiteer withdrawing his letter, a mediocre Boris moment, but best of all a collective breakdown by Sky presenters, including Adam Boulton, who eagerly looked forward to May's terrible day that did not happen
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

NEW THREAD

• Options

Enjoying all the hardcore Leavers opining on the loopiness of others. Stones and glass houses, darlings, stones and glass houses.

I'm enjoying the fact that the remainers have thrown their lot in with those who want to damage the UK. I guess it shows whose side they are really on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm enjoying the fact that the remainers have thrown their lot in with those who want to damage the UK. I guess it shows whose side they are really on.
    Your reading comprehension skills are remarkably poor. Have you considered remedial education?
  • Options

justin124 said:

I'd have a little more time for that sort of comment if blame was shared around a little more. The Middle East is an absolute basketcase, with many sinners and very few saints - which is odd given the area of the world it inhabits.

I personally have many issues with the Israeli government - e.g. their utterly self-defeating policies wrt the settlements. However that is also true of the other countries and groups in that region, and they should *all* be castigated when they do wrong. For instance, your 'apartheid' comment might apply more to other countries in the region.

Instead, what we get are people who obsess on Israel and Israelis, and who never mention the sins of the other countries and groups. And when they are mentioned, they are twisted to become the fault of Israel. Such obsession is not helpful, as it will not lead to a humane solution, but instead eradication of one side or the other.

So yes, if someone repeatedly calls out Israel for sins it has committed (and often rightly so), but never calls out other groups - it starts to look like one-sidedness verging on anti-Semitism.

If a solution is to be found for the problems in the ME, it will be done by all sides admitting what they are doing wrong (and right), and trying to stop such behaviour in future.

All IMO.
    Those are fair comments , but there is no denying that Israel has changed from the state overwhelmingly supported by the West at the time of the Six Day War in June 1967 - and the Yom Kippur War in Autumn 1973.In those days few people outside the Middle East viewed Israel as being in the hands of oppressive extremists.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Something like that.

They are asking for favours that can't be delivered. I don't see any scenario where flights from the UK to the EU would ever be cut off, especially not on an indefinite basis. I could see a week or two of disruption and then an emergency ratification of a treaty which gives the CAA recognition under the single European sky.
    It would need an expert legal opinion but I think it is like EU/EEA. The argument was we could leave the EU but stay in the EEA, because it was a separate agreement with all the signatures on it. Eurocontrol is the same there is a core EU member one, then all the add on agreements for countries such as Georgia, Montenegro, Serbia, ~Turkey, Ukraine, etc.
    So we would leave EU agreement but stay in ECAC or ECAA.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Those are fair comments , but there is no denying that Israel has changed from the state overwhelmingly supported by the West at the time of the Six Day War in June 1967 - and the Yom Kippur War in Autumn 1973.In those days few people outside the Middle East viewed Israel as being in the hands of oppressive extremists.

Yep. However the Palestinian organisations (and when talking about this, I mean the political organisations and not the general populace who tend to just want to get on with their lives) are not the fluffy, nice people that many in the West try to make out. In fact, they're also oppressive extremists.

Whether Israel has become more hard-line because of external threats, or the external threats occur because of the Israel's hard lines, is probably not important. What is important is a de-escalation over time, and that would involve all sides caring more about people than about stupid religious beliefs and ancient rivalries.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Yep. However the Palestinian organisations (and when talking about this, I mean the political organisations and not the general populace who tend to just want to get on with their lives) are not the fluffy, nice people that many in the West try to make out. In fact, they're also oppressive extremists.

Whether Israel has become more hard-line because of external threats, or the external threats occur because of the Israel's hard lines, is probably not important. What is important is a de-escalation over time, and that would involve all sides caring more about people than about stupid religious beliefs and ancient rivalries.
    I agree with that.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Indeed. Justin's argument is also pretty nonsensical and divorced from fact. Netanyahu's policies are dreadful and have added fuel to the fire, but he didn't create a 'breeding ground' for Hamas. They were elected in 2006 shortly after Sharon's national government withdrew from Gaza and kicked out a bunch of settlers. Israel then refused to negotiate with a group that failed to renounce their call for Israel to be wiped out, we've then seen ever more intransigent right-wing governments since, as more Israelis have come to see a negotiated peace as implausible and focused on security.

So, if anything, it's been the other way round - Israeli politics has shifted right in response to greater militancy from the Palestinians (or more to the point, from the state that funds and directs Hamas and doesn't want peace).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Something like that.

Don't Transatlantic flights from the UK go via Scotland then Greenland anyway? I don't think I've ever flown over Ireland. Even if they close the airspace what difference will it make?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    welshowl said:

If he said this ( I struggle to believe such loopiness is real), What an idiot. What’s he threatening? To cut us off unless we applaud his foot stamping? He’s essentially implying a Cuba style blockade. Riiight. It’s not like we’d retaliate is it? Cut the Channel off to sea traffic (that’ll screw Rotterdam). Counter blockade Ireland?

What a fool. Does he think it’s the eighteenth century? None of this is going to happen.
    Negotiation of international flights is pretty much 18th century in its arcaneness.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Give up

Goodmight
    Apparently it states 'Chakrabarti recommended that Labour members should resist the use of Hitler, Nazi and Holocaust metaphors, distortions and comparisons in debates about Israel-Palestine in particular'

Not really sure why people would feel such an urge to use those comparisons that they must resist that urge, frankly, but at least it is 'recommended'.
    Especially resisting “distortions”! Where’s the fun in that?
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

The UK provides QRA for its allocated area of responsibility.

There would not be situation where the airspace of the RoI had been penetrated without the 'offending' aircraft already having been intercepted by the UK QRA Force.
  • Options
    I would be interested to know, has there been a long-standing history of "problems" between Ma Hodge and Comrade Jeremy? I see that Margaret Hodge was elected to Islington Council in 1973, and Jezza became an Islington MP in 1983, partly as a result of the factionalism which saw a number of members leave to join the SDP. She remained a Councillor until (I think) 1992. Maybe a case of the MP not backing the Council, or vice versa?
This discussion has been closed.