Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis. Brexit: How We Got Here & What We Want

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis. Brexit: How We Got Here & What We Want

So: Brexit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    First?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    edited July 2018
    Second.

"Be warned: this video will be equally annoying to Remainers and Leavers."

I'm not sure that's possible ... :)
  • Options
    Interesting video but no real conclusion other than its all very complicated.

Did he really say he wasn't going to cast any nasturtiums, near the end?!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    Don’t worry, it’s all going to be OK.

We would make a great deal with the United Kingdom because they have product that we like,” Trump said. “I mean they have a lot of great product. They make phenomenal things, you know, and you have different names – you can say ‘England’, you can say ‘UK’, you can say ‘United Kingdom’ …
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    IanB2 said:

It's a WW1 joke - 'aspersions' said in a cockney accent sounds like 'nasturtiums,' so that was what privates said mocking their sergeants.

Couple of points on presentation:

Barnier is Michel, not Michael.

I personally find the written summaries rather distracting (especially those with spelling mistakes in). Are they really needed?

On the substance, one question the EU doesn't seem to have asked is what happens to the Euro if there is a no deal Brexit and derivatives trading is brought to a juddering halt thereby. Their willingness to risk severe damage to their own pet project is bizarre.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IanB2 said:

Yes he did!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Great video - look forward to the next one! I see the government are finally living up to Mrs T’s dictum about being behind in the polls mid-term....
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    The analysis significantly underestimates the significance of border infrastructure for nationalists.

The GFA relies on the border being simultaneously both there and not there - depending on one’s identity it’s possible to choose which state (in both senses) to believe in.

The presence of any kind of physical checkpoint shatters one of those alternate realities.

I would have thought that at a time when sectarian violence is rapidly increasing all commentators would recognise this as a serious problem.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good video.

Shame the politicians seem to lack such clarity.

[Being finickity, (I am available as a proofreader, incidentally, for anyone wanting such), dialogue should have 'ue' at the end unless you're being literally Yankee doodle, and the L was missing from 'complex'].

• Options
    Mr. Bromptonaut, that's an argument to appease would-be murderers and terrorists, preferring to do that than respect a democratic referendum result.

Still, we collectively (or the media, and I appreciate it's rather easier to comment on this than be inside and make these comments) did that over cartoons mocking Mohammed, so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    edited July 2018
    I am disappointingly unannoyed by the video which seems to me a fair and useful summary of where we are. Hopefully the solutions to where we are are in part 2!

Just a few points.

What comes across loud and clear is what a disastrous misstep the backstop plan for NI was in stage 1 of the negotiations. I remember the DUP saying at the time that they were concerned about it. It really is remarkable that that was ever signed off (and, for that matter, that DD was willing to sign it off). It is the biggest threat to UK sovereignty and integrity in the whole arrangement.

Secondly, the point about the length of the transitional arrangements going into the EEC is well made and really ought to assuage the concerns of those who feel threatened by fairly lengthy transitional arrangements coming out.

Thirdly, the point about rules of origin issue is interesting because it is not the point that has been emphasised to date. At present the focus has been almost entirely on the free and easy movement of parts of cars in the long supply lines of modern manufacturing. It has been argued that anything other than FTA and CU would make this unacceptably difficult. Robert's point is that a Mini built in Oxford may well have so much EU content that it fails a 45% rules of origin test for any FTA we enter with a third party. This seems to me a good point and would suggest that piggybacking on existing EU agreements so that their content is treated as our content may be more important than I for one had appreciated. No doubt Liam Fox and his department are totally on top of that (joke).

Finally, for now, I am not sure that I completely get the clearing point. If there is a clearing house dealing with Deutsche Bank in London in respect of a transaction in Italy surely its processes are already overseen and back stopped by the BoE? Similarly DB's London operations are similarly overseen here even if their ultimate regulator is the ECB because its head office is in Germany. If we wish to keep that business here we simply have to extend the oversight and responsibility of the BoE to cover the stability of DB (can't think why that particular institution came to mind), at least to the extent required to support its London operations. Presumably they already do similar things for all the US banks based here. Again, I thought the problem was different, namely that the ECB was resisting the clearing of Euros in institutions outwith its jurisdiction in what is essentially an anticompetitive move.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Tiberius is informed by a delator that someone at a dinner party has made an unflattering remark about the purple:
    https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/1018397538154663936
  • Options

Good video.

Shame the politicians seem to lack such clarity.

[Being finickity, (I am available as a proofreader, incidentally, for anyone wanting such), dialogue should have 'ue' at the end unless you're being literally Yankee doodle, and the L was missing from 'complex'].

Mr Dancer, shouldn't that be 'finicky?'
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Sunday press does not read well for May. She is very isolated. With a couple of resignation speeches looming and the distraction of the World Cup behind us she will do well to survive the week intact.

Meanwhile, if it does come to that, wondering who the Stop Boris candidate will be.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Unfortunately I am not able to view video at the moment so apologies if my general remarks repeat what you say or are irrelevant to it.

Empirically, membership of the European Union is best for the UK. It's multilateral, which suits a medium powered country that wants to spread its influence. We're at the table helping to shape decisions in our interest. It's a collective of liberal democracies like us, it promotes the rule of law as we want to do and it's in Europe - our continent. This translates into useful programmes, greater prospects and more trade and more prosperity than we would otherwise have.

If these are things we want, it goes without saying that we will get far less of them after Brexit.

It shouldn't need saying, but unfortunately we do need to say it, because there is widespread denial about the consequences of Brexit. We won't get what we want, I suggest, because we had it but rejected it. It will instead be a messy distracting decade of damage limitation.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, might be a Yorkshire term.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    DavidL said:

Finally, for now, I am not sure that I completely get the clearing point. If there is a clearing house dealing with Deutsche Bank in London in respect of a transaction in Italy surely its processes are already overseen and back stopped by the BoE? Similarly DB's London operations are similarly overseen here even if their ultimate regulator is the ECB because its head office is in Germany. If we wish to keep that business here we simply have to extend the oversight and responsibility of the BoE to cover the stability of DB (can't think why that particular institution came to mind), at least to the extent required to support its London operations. Presumably they already do similar things for all the US banks based here. Again, I thought the problem was different, namely that the ECB was resisting the clearing of Euros in institutions outwith its jurisdiction in what is essentially an anticompetitive move.

You may find this German perspective (written in English of a rather German type) of interest:

https://www.iwkoeln.de/fileadmin/publikationen/2017/329771/IW-Kurzbericht_22_2017_Financial_Markets.pdf

Essentially, it's saying that the real issue is that the ECB has left it all to London up to now as financial oversight is a national competency, and won't have a clue what it's doing when it has to supervise arrangements itself.

Interestingly, although it discusses the possibility of derivatives trading moving to the Continent it doesn't think that's the likely outcome or even the optimum outcome. Admittedly however it was written 18 months ago and published last year.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Sunday press does not read well for May. She is very isolated. With a couple of resignation speeches looming and the distraction of the World Cup behind us she will do well to survive the week intact.

Meanwhile, if it does come to that, wondering who the Stop Boris candidate will be.

I am underwhelmed by her proposals but there is no alternative short of no deal on the table or which can possibly be negotiated with the EU at present. To seek to remove her whilst she is in the process of negotiating a deal would be unforgivable and I don't think it will happen. I think she is safe until October or whenever the deal is signed off. But it is true that she is very short of natural supporters in the party. She continues as the unsatisfactory compromise that is better than the alternative for the various factions who lack the numbers to be sure that they could take control themselves. It can't be a fun position to be in.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Given the views of most Tory MPs about him, almost anyone else who cares to stand?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I am underwhelmed by her proposals but there is no alternative short of no deal on the table or which can possibly be negotiated with the EU at present. To seek to remove her whilst she is in the process of negotiating a deal would be unforgivable and I don't think it will happen. I think she is safe until October or whenever the deal is signed off. But it is true that she is very short of natural supporters in the party. She continues as the unsatisfactory compromise that is better than the alternative for the various factions who lack the numbers to be sure that they could take control themselves. It can't be a fun position to be in.

How does this deal - or any deal - get signed off, though?

• Options
    FF43 said:

Unfortunately I am not able to view video at the moment so apologies if my general remarks repeat what you say or are irrelevant to it.

Empirically, membership of the European Union is best for the UK. It's multilateral, which suits a medium powered country that wants to spread its influence. We're at the table helping to shape decisions in our interest. It's a collective of liberal democracies like us, it promotes the rule of law as we want to do and it's in Europe - our continent. This translates into useful programmes, greater prospects and more trade and more prosperity than we would otherwise have.

If these are things we want, it goes without saying that we will get far less of them after Brexit.

It shouldn't need saying, but unfortunately we do need to say it, because there is widespread denial about the consequences of Brexit. We won't get what we want, I suggest, because we had it but rejected it. It will instead be a messy distracting decade of damage limitation.

I agree with the thrust of your comment, not so sure I agree with the bit in bold. I would have said it promotes the rule of law when it suits the EU's purposes, and ignores it when it doesn't. For example, it allows illegal bans on exports to stay in place when the chief client of the Commission body concerned is the one imposing the ban. It abrogates and reinstates migration treaties with a bewildering rapidity. It allowed countries to enter the Euro in breach of its rules on economic convergence, then was surprised when it went wrong. On a micro level, if you think the appointments of Barnier and Selmayr followed anything vaguely akin to the rule of law, would you also be interested in this bridge I have for sale?

What worries me most about Brexit (even more than the economic damage that's looming) is that we effectively forfeit our chance to steer the EU towards being law-abiding and democratic. Admittedly it was proving very hard to steer - look at Juncker's appointment, or Giscard's, bearing in mind in this country both of those could very well be doing jail time - but will anyone even make the effort now?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

We had want we wanted but the Brussels fanatics with their ongoing drive for integration fucked it all up
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

You may find this German perspective (written in English of a rather German type) of interest:

https://www.iwkoeln.de/fileadmin/publikationen/2017/329771/IW-Kurzbericht_22_2017_Financial_Markets.pdf

Essentially, it's saying that the real issue is that the ECB has left it all to London up to now as financial oversight is a national competency, and won't have a clue what it's doing when it has to supervise arrangements itself.

Interestingly, although it discusses the possibility of derivatives trading moving to the Continent it doesn't think that's the likely outcome or even the optimum outcome. Admittedly however it was written 18 months ago and published last year.
    FWIW Bafin (the German bank regulator is probably the worst in its class globally and certainly in Europe)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Given the views of most Tory MPs about him, almost anyone else who cares to stand?
    How many people honestly think he will make the run-off? Gove didn't stand out of personal animus, but because he knew Boris would come at best third. Gove failed to take into account that he's even less popular, but that was a very Gove-ish mistake to make.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, to be fair, it was a choice by Brown/Labour to renege on their manifesto pledge and sign us up to Lisbon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am disappointingly unannoyed by the video which seems to me a fair and useful summary of where we are. Hopefully the solutions to where we are are in part 2!

Just a few points.

What comes across loud and clear is what a disastrous misstep the backstop plan for NI was in stage 1 of the negotiations. I remember the DUP saying at the time that they were concerned about it. It really is remarkable that that was ever signed off (and, for that matter, that DD was willing to sign it off). It is the biggest threat to UK sovereignty and integrity in the whole arrangement.

Secondly, the point about the length of the transitional arrangements going into the EEC is well made and really ought to assuage the concerns of those who feel threatened by fairly lengthy transitional arrangements coming out.

Thirdly, the point about rules of origin issue is interesting because it is not the point that has been emphasised to date. At present the focus has been almost entirely on the free and easy movement of parts of cars in the long supply lines of modern manufacturing. It has been argued that anything other than FTA and CU would make this unacceptably difficult. Robert's point is that a Mini built in Oxford may well have so much EU content that it fails a 45% rules of origin test for any FTA we enter with a third party. This seems to me a good point and would suggest that piggybacking on existing EU agreements so that their content is treated as our content may be more important than I for one had appreciated. No doubt Liam Fox and his department are totally on top of that (joke).

The Japanese have been shouting loudly - in a very unJapanese way - about rules of origin for a fair while.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000185466.pdf

• Options

Mr. Charles, to be fair, it was a choice by Brown/Labour to renege on their manifesto pledge and sign us up to Lisbon.

Sigh, the good old days when we had an effective government that could act in the national interest and ignore right wing ideological loons like JRM.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I think that is exactly what I was saying. It is also interesting that at that time 17% of the clearing in London was denominated in Euros and that London's share of world clearing was 38% compared with 8% in the EZ. This suggests to me that London will remain much, much bigger than any EU alternative with the result that expertise, liquidity and skill in regulation will continue to be based here. Removing the EU component would be very risky for regulatory bodies who do not have the expertise to understand what is being done. Of course this assumes that the BoE and the FSA understand and manage the risks at present. The numbers are truly frightening.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I think that is exactly what I was saying. It is also interesting that at that time 17% of the clearing in London was denominated in Euros and that London's share of world clearing was 38% compared with 8% in the EZ. This suggests to me that London will remain much, much bigger than any EU alternative with the result that expertise, liquidity and skill in regulation will continue to be based here. Removing the EU component would be very risky for regulatory bodies who do not have the expertise to understand what is being done. Of course this assumes that the BoE and the FSA understand and manage the risks at present. The numbers are truly frightening.
    Experience admittedly suggests your last assumption is a bold assumption...
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, if Labour had kept its promise we could've rejected Lisbon and be having negotiations over how to proceed rather than being left with a choice between integration forever or departure (made rather bumpier by the short Article 50 time scale and the less than sensible approach of the EU. And May).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

How many people honestly think he will make the run-off? Gove didn't stand out of personal animus, but because he knew Boris would come at best third. Gove failed to take into account that he's even less popular, but that was a very Gove-ish mistake to make.
    The MPs will be very aware of some of the details of the resignation saga that haven't been so prominent in the media, such as Boris having led the toast to May's Chequers deal and only deciding to resign when he calculated that his self-interest required not ceding the crown of champion of the frothy-mouthed to David Davis. They will also know a lot more about his tenure inside the FCO than has made it into the press.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, if Labour had kept its promise we could've rejected Lisbon and be having negotiations over how to proceed rather than being left with a choice between integration forever or departure (made rather bumpier by the short Article 50 time scale and the less than sensible approach of the EU. And May).

The old tunes give you comfort in difficult days.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, either that or I consistently hold a view that's entirely correct.

Do you actually disagree with me?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

The MPs will be very aware of some of the details of the resignation saga that haven't been so prominent in the media, such as Boris having led the toast to May's Chequers deal and only deciding to resign when he calculated that his self-interest required not ceding the crown of champion of the frothy-mouthed to David Davis. They will also know a lot more about his tenure inside the FCO than has made it into the press.
    I take it then you think, as I do, that he will be eliminated in the first round (unless Michael Fabricant stands)?
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, either that or I consistently hold a view that's entirely correct.

Do you actually disagree with me?

Lisbon is irrelevant. The direction was clear and agreed long before.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Esther McVey and Penny Mordaunt on 'resignation suicide watch' according to paper review on Marr
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

What comes across loud and clear is what a disastrous misstep the backstop plan for NI was in stage 1 of the negotiations.

There are points in negotiations when you shuffle your papers together, stand up, and tell the other side to "piss off". This should have been one of those moments. It is so disastrous that you have to wonder about the bona fides of those who would agree to such a thing.

At least a new PM could throw that back at them.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

the European Union is best for the UK. It's multilateral, which suits a medium powered country that wants to spread its influence. We're at the table helping to shape decisions in our interest. It's a collective of liberal democracies like us, it promotes the rule of law as we want to do and it's in Europe - our continent. This translates into useful programmes, greater prospects and more trade and more prosperity than we would otherwise have.

I agree with the thrust of your comment, not so sure I agree with the bit in bold. I would have said it promotes the rule of law when it suits the EU's purposes, and ignores it when it doesn't. For example, it allows illegal bans on exports to stay in place when the chief client of the Commission body concerned is the one imposing the ban. It abrogates and reinstates migration treaties with a bewildering rapidity. It allowed countries to enter the Euro in breach of its rules on economic convergence, then was surprised when it went wrong. On a micro level, if you think the appointments of Barnier and Selmayr followed anything vaguely akin to the rule of law, would you also be interested in this bridge I have for sale?

What worries me most about Brexit (even more than the economic damage that's looming) is that we effectively forfeit our chance to steer the EU towards being law-abiding and democratic. Admittedly it was proving very hard to steer - look at Juncker's appointment, or Giscard's, bearing in mind in this country both of those could very well be doing jail time - but will anyone even make the effort now?
    You make a vital, vital point.

The EU might be less than ideal but as one of the leading participants we had a chance to influence it, and in turn, influence the rule of law and democratic norms across Europe (and even further afield).

It doesn’t always work. Cameron tried to veto Juncker and was - from memory - the only one to do so. He was outvoted. On the other hand, Juncker is generally recognised now to have been a very poor choice. The U.K. would have gained a few diplomatic points for having foretold that - points to be spent elsewhere in the messy but necessary horse trading that characterises the EU.

Cynics will scoff, of course, but this forfeiture of influence weighs as heavily on me as the economic harm caused by Brexit.
  • Options

Lisbon was manageable - the lack of faith in democracy (in the UK) and the unwillingness to heed the concerns of voters (Europe wide) were worrying but the content itself was ok
  • Options
    I'm surprised at how far from the pulse pb.com seems to be at the moment.

A previous thread suggested May had a surprisingly good week. Why? Because she survived? No other commentators agree, today's Observer depicting it as a 'terrible week.'

But it's deeper than that. I don't understand how you're not listening, really listening, to what's going on? Chat to those Conservative MPs, listen to the constituency feedback, watch the empirical evidence. Here are some examples:

- The Tories have just plunged 6% in the polls and Labour have their biggest lead since the GE.
    - Tory MP's are getting mailbags filled with complaining Leave supporters
    - Peter Mandelson has just taken down the Chequers fudge in today's Observer

but perhaps most significantly, it's widely known that the Brexiteer tories have asked supporting MPs to pull back from the No Confidence vote. Timing is everything. The word is that they want to see Theresa May's position weaken further in Europe, which is pretty much inevitable because there's no way they will rubber stamp her proposal. After the summer recess they want to strike.

It will be very interesting to see if the opinion poll slump represents a blip, or a seismic shift in opinion. Surely for a betting site this is the critical news you should be right on the money about?
  • Options
    30 to 45 letters in to Brady for a No Confidence vote in May already according to Amanda Platell based on her sources in the Tory Party.
  • Options
    Maastricht was the important one.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Japanese have been shouting loudly - in a very unJapanese way - about rules of origin for a fair while.

They'll have the same problem in reverse. Even if the UK has a FTA with the EU will a Nissan assembled in Sunderland meet the 45% UK content allowing them to take advantage of that FTA given that a lot of the value comes from Japan/US? I'm not sure. Of course it may boost suppliers in the UK.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

We had want we wanted but the Brussels fanatics with their ongoing drive for integration fucked it all up
    “We had what we wanted.”

One of the few true things you’ve said of late.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, ha! If the direction were agreed why did Labour, and the Conservatives/Lib Dems, promise a referendum on it?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The perfect way to stop Brexit from a remainer point of view is having to abandon leaving because the phobes can't come up with a workable way of doing it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited July 2018
    @ Handymandy Is that a synopsis of your movie script, Three Metaphors and a Libel?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Mr. Jonathan, ha! If the direction were agreed why did Labour, and the Conservatives/Lib Dems, promise a referendum on it?

When the scope was bigger parties agreed to a vote on a constitution. When Lisbon was scaled back to a tidying up treaty, there was no substantial point left to vote on.

The one to have a vote on was Maastricht.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The other point (sorry haven’t watched the video) is that as it stands the BoE is responsible for any malfunction. Move it to Europe and the ECB takes on that liability. And it is a huge liability.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    HYUFD said:

Esther McVey and Penny Mordaunt on 'resignation suicide watch' according to paper review on Marr

I heard that a few days ago

On reflection I am more relaxed about Brexit and have no idea whether TM survives, or there is a leadership election, but it is obvious that everything is at deadlock and there is no possible way of seeing how this pans out between now and October

As a matter of interest did you catch up on the Airbus report in the business section of the guardian
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

30 to 45 letters in to Brady for a No Confidence vote in May already according to Amanda Platell based on her sources in the Tory Party.

To be fair they need to put up or shut up. I have no problem with a VNOC
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Charles said:

Did "we" want to keep the ex-Communist bloc out? That certainly wasn't the UK government's position so who are "we"?

History doesn't have a stop button that you can press when you arrive at circumstances that you find favourable.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    HYUFD said:

An accuracy range of 66-100%? Some pisspoor sources.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I think that there will be enough pragmatists, even if pretty unhappy ones, to force it through the Commons.

I simply look at my own position. I am not thrilled, to put it politely, with the extent to which we are committing ourselves to keep all existing EU based laws and, even worse, commit ourselves to enacting all future laws that impinge on the Single Market as a condition of a FTA.

I am not comfortable with how the interpretation of those laws will in fact be in the control of the CJE and UK Courts will have to follow their guidance. We will effectively have a shadow legal system where a lot of the important decisions are made elsewhere and this is particularly concerning when one considers how the CJE has consistently made additional land grabs for the EU giving legislation passed its widest possible effect rather than seeking to construe it narrowly as UK courts tend to do with our legislation.

But TINA. If I was in the Commons I would vote for the proposal through gritted teeth.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    DavidL said:

Just a few points.

Wouldn't it be better to just forget the whole deal. I mean why are we bothering?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You’re right. All they have is innuendo and sniping from the sidelines.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, come off it. Renaming a document and altering the font doesn't make any difference whatsoever beyond a cosmetic facade to enable the EU to sidestep the pesky electorate getting a vote.
  • Options
    Listening to Sadiq Khan he just underwhelms you.

Blames everyone but himself and has no plan for a hard Brexit

London deserves better, much better
  • Options

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

That is offensive and inaccurate.

You may disagree with me - that is your right - but i never lie
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Part of the second wave, once Brussels responds.

If Brussels ays "OK, OK, you can have the White Paper as Brexit", then they can all claim they played their part in facing down the Eurocracy. Anyone think that is going to happen though?
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

Wouldn't it be better to just forget the whole deal. I mean why are we bothering?
    I find it genuinely astonishing that people can still ask that having gone through this process. Now that the extent to which the EU had already undermined and superseded our democratic processes has finally been laid bare for all to see would you really want to remain in such an organisation? The more difficult it is to leave the more urgent leaving becomes. It really is as simple as that.
  • Options
    Interesting video by Robert Smithson and as he points out we joined the EEC because of declining shares of our trade going to our traditional trading partners in the Commonwealth. Now of course it was the fact less than half out exports now go to the EU that was a factor in the Brexit vote.

Also interesting on the technical problems with a FTA that will need resolving e.g. country of origin rules and the EU's requirement of oversight for a financial services deal and the issues for Ireland
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, it's a credible possibility. And why not? May's capitulated. We'll be following EU laws in many areas and unable to negotiate our own trade deals without EU involvement.

Mordaunt resigning could be good, though. She's clearly the optimal choice for next PM.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Charles said:

That's an odd view. The EU intention to move gradually towards greater integration is not in dispute. It was stated when the EU and its predcessors were set up and it's been an article of faith ever since. Governments have in practice been more ready to pay lip-service thsan actually concede power, so integration has moved at a glacial pace (and Britain as a member has been able to support efforts to slow it), but the direction has always been clear - that, for instance, is why the Euro has been maintained with some success despite the obvious difficulties.

For Britain to join, knowing that, and then complain that the other 27 members are changing the EU into something we don't like is perverse. Being a member of the EU implies willingness to move over a long period of time towards greater integration ("ever-closer union"). The Brexiteers, who dislike this, are quite right to point it out. That said, being geographically appended to Europe means that we will inevitably either be drawn into the project or maintain a separation with all kinds of uncomfortable consequences that are now becoming apparent - not because of evil intent by anyone, simply because you're either effectively in a club or you're not. There isn't a third option.
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan on Marr confirms his commitment to a transition period and staying in the single market and customs union
  • Options

HYUFD said:

On reflection I am more relaxed about Brexit and have no idea whether TM survives, or there is a leadership election, but it is obvious that everything is at deadlock and there is no possible way of seeing how this pans out between now and October

As a matter of interest did you catch up on the Airbus report in the business section of the guardian
    Surely, the biggest story there is

"Conservative member reads Guardian - shock horror expose".....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I think that there will be enough pragmatists, even if pretty unhappy ones, to force it through the Commons.

I simply look at my own position. I am not thrilled, to put it politely, with the extent to which we are committing ourselves to keep all existing EU based laws and, even worse, commit ourselves to enacting all future laws that impinge on the Single Market as a condition of a FTA.

I am not comfortable with how the interpretation of those laws will in fact be in the control of the CJE and UK Courts will have to follow their guidance. We will effectively have a shadow legal system where a lot of the important decisions are made elsewhere and this is particularly concerning when one considers how the CJE has consistently made additional land grabs for the EU giving legislation passed its widest possible effect rather than seeking to construe it narrowly as UK courts tend to do with our legislation.

But TINA. If I was in the Commons I would vote for the proposal through gritted teeth.

Labour will whip its MPs to vote against any deal May gets. So the Tories will be relying on their loons to come into line.

• Options

Charles said:

Did "we" want to keep the ex-Communist bloc out? That certainly wasn't the UK government's position so who are "we"?

History doesn't have a stop button that you can press when you arrive at circumstances that you find favourable.
    No, we wanted eastern expansion.

The issues with immigration - while real for many - could have been solved internally. It was the interplay with QMV and the Eurozone, plus the unwilling to live by the spirit of the arrangements and the drive for ever client set union that were the problem

At the point the voters judged that the negatives outweighed the positives we voted to leave
  • Options

Charles said:

No, we wanted eastern expansion.

The issues with immigration - while real for many - could have been solved internally. It was the interplay with QMV and the Eurozone, plus the unwilling to live by the spirit of the arrangements and the drive for ever client set union that were the problem

At the point the voters judged that the negatives outweighed the positives we voted to leave
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Labour will whip its MPs to vote against any deal May gets. So the Tories will be relying on their loons to come into line.

"Labour killed Brexit" might not play especially well.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I often read the Guardian - I do not agree with its politics but it does give an opposite insight into issues
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

I am not saying that there is no risk but Labour will have to decide between May's deal and no deal. I seriously doubt that they will be able to whip all their MPs to oppose if that is the alternative.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sadiq Khan on Marr confirms his commitment to a transition period and staying in the single market and customs union

But that is not on offer . That is Norway. Ok by me
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

FWIW Bafin (the German bank regulator is probably the worst in its class globally and certainly in Europe)
    Strongly agree with that. One reason why Deutsche Bank is in such trouble is that its own regulator has simply not done what is needed.

The BaFin’s weakness is one reason why Frankfurt will find it difficult to rival London. Having confidence in the regulatory system is critical to a good financial system. The FCA and PR a are far from ideal but they are titans by comparison with BaFin.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

That's a little pompous and over-sensitive. There's a wide range of statements which fall between being true, and being a lie. You need to add intent to falsehood to make a lie, and there's no such accusation in the post you responded to.
  • Options
    May on Marr now
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

They'll have the same problem in reverse. Even if the UK has a FTA with the EU will a Nissan assembled in Sunderland meet the 45% UK content allowing them to take advantage of that FTA given that a lot of the value comes from Japan/US? I'm not sure. Of course it may boost suppliers in the UK.

Yep, companies that have invested in the UK because we are an integral part of the single market are facing some very hard choices. If a deal is not done, they have some big decisions to make. Is the UK market more important to Nissan than the EU one, for example? Is it more expensive and time-consuming to relocate or to completely redesign supply chains? Would it be easier to offer services from bases inside the Single Market or outside of it? And so on.

• Options

Mr. Jonathan, come off it. Renaming a document and altering the font doesn't make any difference whatsoever beyond a cosmetic facade to enable the EU to sidestep the pesky electorate getting a vote.

Can’t see what changed in the past 10 years that compares to the Euro etc.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    One clarification on the video: Hugh Gaitskell died in 1963 and that quote comes from a speech at the time of our original application, which somewhat gives the lie to the idea that Ted Heath smuggled us in without anyone understanding the gravity of joining.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I have just read it, Airbus clearly welcomes the Chequers Deal but what they really want is to ensure there is a transition deal if we leave the single market and customs union which May's plan makes more likely even if it is ultimately hard Brexit. Also seems Airbus is more likely to move work to China than the EU if it moves put of the UK so the EU would get little benefit from an Airbus departure.

Also note Broughton where the Airbus plant is is in Flintshire which voted 56% Leave
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yep, companies that have invested in the UK because we are an integral part of the single market are facing some very hard choices. If a deal is not done, they have some big decisions to make. Is the UK market more important to Nissan than the EU one, for example? Is it more expensive and time-consuming to relocate or to completely redesign supply chains? Would it be easier to offer services from bases inside the Single Market or outside of it? And so on.

JRM needs to explain how he would protect our jobs and economy in a detailed response before he can become credible and just to say WTO is not an explanation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We are heading for a Major 'back me or sack me' vote soon I think
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

HYUFD said:

It's important to know your enemy .. :smile:
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Strongly agree with that. One reason why Deutsche Bank is in such trouble is that its own regulator has simply not done what is needed.

The BaFin’s weakness is one reason why Frankfurt will find it difficult to rival London. Having confidence in the regulatory system is critical to a good financial system. The FCA and PR a are far from ideal but they are titans by comparison with BaFin.

Tells you how much of London's comparative advantage is due to it being in the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

She is poor on Marr and looks shattered. I have no idea what happens next
  • Options

Charles said:

That's an odd view. The EU intention to move gradually towards greater integration is not in dispute. It was stated when the EU and its predcessors were set up and it's been an article of faith ever since. Governments have in practice been more ready to pay lip-service thsan actually concede power, so integration has moved at a glacial pace (and Britain as a member has been able to support efforts to slow it), but the direction has always been clear - that, for instance, is why the Euro has been maintained with some success despite the obvious difficulties.

For Britain to join, knowing that, and then complain that the other 27 members are changing the EU into something we don't like is perverse. Being a member of the EU implies willingness to move over a long period of time towards greater integration ("ever-closer union"). The Brexiteers, who dislike this, are quite right to point it out. That said, being geographically appended to Europe means that we will inevitably either be drawn into the project or maintain a separation with all kinds of uncomfortable consequences that are now becoming apparent - not because of evil intent by anyone, simply because you're either effectively in a club or you're not. There isn't a third option.
    No - it was missold original but fundamentally there was an accelerating pace of integration. You only have to see some of Junker and others musings since Brexit.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

JRM needs to explain how he would protect our jobs and economy in a detailed response before he can become credible and just to say WTO is not an explanation
    It really is impossible for him to do that. He could say, probably correctly, that this is not the deal I would have negotiated but he can never say that the deal I wanted to put forward would have been accepted by the EU. May was, as usual, fundamentally wrong in her judgment. A bad deal is better than no deal. Claiming what she is offering is a good deal will not persuade many on either side of the argument.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Brussels ays "OK, OK, you can have the White Paper as Brexit", then they can all claim they played their part in facing down the Eurocracy. Anyone think that is going to happen though?
    Barnier is playing for time but I expect a 'Non Madame May' in due course much as De Gaulle refused Macmillan's EEC entry plans almost half a century ago, at least as far as a FTA goes
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

That's a little pompous and over-sensitive. There's a wide range of statements which fall between being true, and being a lie. You need to add intent to falsehood to make a lie, and there's no such accusation in the post you responded to.
    Gardenwalker has a history of accusing me of lying without providing evidence

My reputation and brand depends on honesty
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Though not even Corbyn is proposing Norway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnier is playing for time but I expect a 'Non Madame May' in due course much as De Gaulle refused Macmillan's EEC entry plans almost half a century ago, at least as far as a FTA goes
    In which case, her handling of the 2018 White Paper will prove to be be even more disatrous than her handling of the 2017 Manifesto.....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Never seen Marr get so close to actually showing teeth in an interview. Amazing May doesn't have better responses to these questions yet - it's out there flapping in the wind now that the complaints are valid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I have just read it, Airbus clearly welcomes the Chequers Deal but what they really want is to ensure there is a transition deal if we leave the single market and customs union which May's plan makes more likely even if it is ultimately hard Brexit. Also seems Airbus is more likely to move work to China than the EU if it moves put of the UK so the EU would get little benefit from an Airbus departure.

Also note Broughton where the Airbus plant is is in Flintshire which voted 56% Leave
    Thanks for reading it and you can see why I am content with May's Brexit.

It already has moved production to China but that production is for the Chinese market.

Airbus will remain in Europe and continue its development of new products. Indeed it is that that takes my son in law to meetings in France, Germany and Spain regularly

The area voted leave but they did not vote for Airbus to close their operations in North Wales
  • Options
    Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

Gardenwalker has a history of accusing me of lying without providing evidence

My reputation and brand depends on honesty
    Never knew you had a brand, can we expect to see adverts on our screens soon?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair to May I do like her personally despite my deep reservations over this deal, she deserves a chance to try and get something from the EU.

May also confirmed it is non negotiable we will end free movement and leave the customs union.

She also says her mobility plans will not be free movement but based on specific business needs
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The PM is batting on a decidedly sticky wicket. Barely surviving Marr's bouncers and googlies. She's still at the crease but with nine wickets down requiring 100 runs to win. And the umpire is Junker.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though not even Corbyn is proposing Norway
    But the London mayor is
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In which case, her handling of the 2018 White Paper will prove to be be even more disatrous than her handling of the 2017 Manifesto.....
    She may though still be able to get a transition deal but the party will demand it is ended by December 2020 if no FTA confirmed by then
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Never seen Marr get so close to actually showing teeth in an interview. Amazing May doesn't have better responses to these questions yet - it's out there flapping in the wind now that the complaints are valid.

I think she is suffering now from her inability to express herself and it is painful to watch this morning
This discussion has been closed.