Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A better ‘ole

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646
    edited July 2018
    Nigelb said:

A resignation in defence of the principle of maintaining self-referential definitions.... novel.

(edit) Grayling’s PPS ... of course.
    Has there been any news of Charlie Faulkner?
  • Options
    LordOfReasonLordOfReason Posts: 457
    Pulpstar said:

80-odd Tory MPs at an ERG meeting at the same time as the 1922 meeting - Channel 4

Well no wonder the 1922 went so well if 80 odd of the most likely plotters were elsewhere.
    I find the “got to stick with May now or it will wreck the negotiation and we will go over cliff” line from those trying to shore her up as hysterical and desperate in equal measure. Mays getting sacked in the morning not because of Brexit, but because she’s crap, and it’s her being crap for so long that has created this mess. Mays baggage is not just the fudge, it’s the cred murdering u turns. Whatever the faction or personality, can she make any promise in her office again to anyone and they believe her?

Whether it’s Javid or one of many others, it’s fresh face, fresh energy, fresh ideas, fresh voice different personality, honeymoon period at home and abroad, most importantly slates wiped clean, its the only way forward from this situation, and its ideal antidote to such a situation. It is that what will clearly win the confidence vote, not an individual losing it. So once it goes to a secret ballot don’t try counting this factions vote, or guess what the other faction may do, or think it’s only 48 of them, just 80 odd, whatever the faction or individual I have just told you what the vast amount of them will vote for.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited July 2018
    Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.

Most Labour voters voted Remain. What everyone else in their constituency did makes no difference."

Not this again. My constituency in NW England. Referendum 58% Leave. GE 2OI7 Labour 26,000 Cons 6,000, Ukip 6,000, Others bits and bobs. labour majority 20,000

Who voted Leave?

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

80-odd Tory MPs at an ERG meeting at the same time as the 1922 meeting - Channel 4

Well no wonder the 1922 went so well if 80 odd of the most likely plotters were elsewhere.
    It is a rather important omission from the earlier reports.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    maaarsh said:

Conor Burns gone too

He was Boris's PPS. So perhaps not a great surprise.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    To be honest if you're an MP at the 1922 and everyone starts banging on the desks and welcoming the PM as if she's the world's biggest conquering hero you're hardly going to put your neck out there and then and mention you might VoNC her.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Excellent thread from Mr. Meeks. First time I've ever said that! So much depends now , in my view, on the EU response to T. May's plan. They really do have the power to destroy the government. However, lord only knows how far the collateral damage could spread - Ireland for starters.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Pulpstar said:

I imagine a number of them were whips’ narks.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    As I said some EU apparatchik has basically said on Sky news - we aint changing anything for you - if you want to change your mind have another vote.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    CD13 said:

Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.

Most Labour voters voted Remain. What everyone else in their constituency did makes no difference."

Not this again. My constituency in NW England. Referendum 58% Leave. GE 2OI7 Labour 26,000 Cons 6,000, Ukip 6,000, Others bits and bobs. labour majority 20,000

Who voted Leave?

Where is that - Makerfield ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Pulpstar said:

To be honest if you're an MP at the 1922 and everyone starts banging on the desks and welcoming the PM as if she's the world's biggest conquering hero you're hardly going to put your neck out there and then and mention you might VoNC her.

Especially so when it appears that all those in favour of the PM went to the ‘22 and all those opposed to her went to the ERG.

Given the ERG number around 80, the threshold of 48 for a challenge is a pretty low bar. If someone’s not co-ordinating letters to Mr Brady carefully it could be reached by accident.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Sir Humphrey said Alexander Jameson was a very nice chap.

His goal was to stop Jameson becoming Governor of the Bank of England.

I think this comes under the same heading.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

Chameleon said:

The really remarkable thing is how little support the LDs have gained, you couldn't design a better situations for them to prosper than this.

I think I could. It would involve not having betrayed a headline commitment which was hugely important to many of their voters, not having undercut their function as a tactical vote by making it clear they'd swallow whatever the largest party wanted to feed them for a turn in government, not having a leader who seems incapable of getting any press coverage at all, and not being economic centrists in an era of increased polarisation.
    They arguably face two major problems which combine to keep them from taking flight. Firstly they were wiped out so badly in 2015 that they are not in a position to claim they are on the verge of a realignment or breakthrough - Lewisham being a case in point. In too many seats they're just not close enough to put the wind up the big two parties and successfully attract moderate voters away from choosing the one they think is the best of a bad bunch. Secondly, the low hanging fruit for a third party are anti-establishment voters, because they will actually vote for you regardless. The Lib Dems used to target these on the activist left thanks to Iraq and their poses on tuition fees etc. - but Corbyn's attracting that crowd, at least until he inevitably gets found out as a fraud who can no more put glitter on the Brexit turd than Boris or Theresa.

The Lib Dems won't get anywhere though until they have a genuinely post-coalition leader who can remake the party in a new image, and capitalise on the other parties' failures. Then they can start to work to solve those problems.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    Theresa, you only got "cabinet agreement" on Friday by threatening them with humiliation. That's not real " agreement" - That's people keeping up appearances until they can get home without having to do the walk of shame down the Chequers drive....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Toms said:

"My grandma kept the house immaculate, with display cabinets filled with charming if not particularly valuable china..."

I'm surprised you didn't use the term "Delft rack".
    Personal comment: my terrace house escaped the ravages,especially popular in the 1960s, of ripping out fireplaces, walls, and other original fixtures: it still has its fitted Delft rack.

"Leavers have been very clear about what they don’t want and completely befuddled about what they might actually want..."

Another personal comment:
    Many of the brexitiers I have known "wanted their country back".
    But I can't see that they ever lost it.
    Now they're b***ering it up

I can honestly say I have never been more ashamed of our Country.

On the day Boris Johnson was supposed to be hosting a West Balkans Summit arranged by himself he failed to turn up at all leaving the event unhosted and creating fury among the Foreign Ministers present. He was so into himself he was holed up in his Office plotting and scheming to protect his career at the expense of our Country's reputation.

He had previously told Airbus to FO and went awol on the Heathrow vote to save his career which has ended a few days later.

I am unable to identify with him or any of the hard Brexiteers and I will fight to see our party and Country's image restored as business friendly and a Country respected on the World stage.

Tonight thanks to these zealots and the likes of the obnoxious Farage our Country is being laughed at and this at the time our wonderful football team is, wait for it, in the semi finals of the World Cup.

I hope that TM survives but if she doesn't I hope we can have a leader that holds high business and relationships around the World, including the EU, and goes someway along the road to restore our National pride and image

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Ooh, so she might well be safe this week then.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He’ll just undermine her in every way he can, but keep his hands clean for the moment yet to come.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    NOT voting against isn't the same as voting for.

IF a third of the Parliamentary Party don't support May in a VoNC - what then ? She can continue but as Major found in 1995 all authority has gone.

As in 1990 it's so much easier for the "plotters" if May walks of her own volition.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Does he mean a vote of no confidence in the Commons or as leader in a secret ballot?

He apparently said 'I will vote against the Brexit deal on a Monday and vote for confidence in the PM on Tuesday'
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    May clearly isn't going via VoNC, but surely she needs to have a majority in parliament prepared to vote for her version of Brexit for her position to be tenable?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson signs 'Rt Hon.'

Never has the old joke, 'rarely right and never honourable,' seemed more apt.

Not even though that joke was invented by Jeffrey Archer's constituents.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Pulpstar,

"Where is that - Makerfield ?"

Not far away. St Helens South.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

• Options
    Seems to be taking a while to appoint a foreign secretary?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,069
    William_H said:

May clearly isn't going via VoNC, but surely she needs to have a majority in parliament prepared to vote for her version of Brexit for her position to be tenable?

Unless her plan is to negotiate a deal and then call a referendum.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

William Hague is playing hard to get perhaps?
  • Options
    William_H said:

There are behind the scenes moves to involve cross party consensus which even the SNP are party to. This has a long way to go with many twists and turns but if she gets an agreement I cannot see the HOC as a whole rejecting it as it would provoke fury among the electorate, including Brenda, who just want it done
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Jonathan said:

He’ll just undermine her in every way he can, but keep his hands clean for the moment yet to come.
    Indeed. What the bloody hell is the point of him saying such a thing? I guess he really is a twerp.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Panorama have a special on the Donald, new allegations of being a sex pest.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Theresa, you only got "cabinet agreement" on Friday by threatening them with humiliation. That's not real " agreement" - That's people keeping up appearances until they can get home without having to do the walk of shame down the Chequers drive....
    If that was what kept them from resigning then and there, then I have less respect for them not more. Better to take that humiliation, which would be more on her than them, than pretend to agree only to reverse position later. Pathetic.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

They need to appoint Ken Clarke. Or at least spoof something for Boris to read.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

And his core will not care. That is the way it is these days
  • Options
    About as terse an acceptance letter as you get?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited July 2018
    With so many people "predicting" May will go imminently, one wonders why the 5/2 available on her going by 30th September isn't being snapped up?

Of course we all know why - it's the golden rule of PB:

When someone posts "I predict ......" what they actually mean is "I want ......"

But posting "I want ......" doesn't look very sophisticated so instead they dress it up as a prediction.
  • Options
    I do think May should feel able to appoint anybody as FM at this point - the days are past when they she 'must appoint a brexiteer' etc
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

GIN1138 said:

Gareth Southgate is busy till at least Saturday night, possibly Sunday. If he is busy on Sunday there’s a chance he’ll have an appointment at the Palace anyway on Monday.

• Options
    kle4 said:

I do think May should feel able to appoint anybody as FM at this point - the days are past when they she 'must appoint a brexiteer' etc

Penny Mordaunt would be an inspired choice
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm sure Anna Soubry is standing my her phone as we speak... :D
  • Options
    MikeL said:

With so many people "predicting" May will go imminently, one wonders why the 5/2 available on her going by 30th September isn't being snapped up?

Of course we all know why - it's the golden rule of PB:

When someone posts "I predict ......" what they actually mean is "I want ......"

But posting "I want ......" doesn't look very sophisticated so instead they dress it up as a prediction.

No, I don't think that's true. I think May is likely to go quite quickly, but I don't want her to - I don't see how it will help - and I doubt I am alone in that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Indeed. Ken Clarke. Do it!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kle4 said:

Would she take the job when No 10 might be available soon?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

William_H said:

There are behind the scenes moves to involve cross party consensus which even the SNP are party to. This has a long way to go with many twists and turns but if she gets an agreement I cannot see the HOC as a whole rejecting it as it would provoke fury among the electorate, including Brenda, who just want it done
    Will prove bitterly ironic if there is a "meaningful vote" to find only the most extreme Brexiters voting nay.
  • Options
    I bet Rory the Tory still doesn't get a call....
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Pulpstar,

"Where is that - Makerfield ?"

Not far away. St Helens South.

About as far away as is possible!
    Up the pie-eighters!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Why on earth not. It would propel hugely in the next PM stakes
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Still a lot to do there. But if he has ambitions he'll need time away from Health I guess. He won't make it 6 years after all I suppose.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,453
    Have I ever mentioned that I tipped Jeremy Hunt at 100/1 and 66/1 as next PM?
  • Options

No. Please, do so now for us.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Why on earth not. It would propel hugely in the next PM stakes
    It ties her to the May administration which won't help her in the leadership stakes.
  • Options
    The other interesting feature will also be the other new Cabinet entrant (as well as the further reshuffle of existing members). Perhaps Rory the Tory will be elevated, not least to restore the Etonian quota. Plus the lower ranks at Minister of State/PUSS.

Perhaps Robert Smithson’s day will be made by Kwasi Kwateng finally getting a job?
  • Options
    Hunts a good choice. Health?
  • Options
    If Hunt does become the new FS, he is suddenly hot favourite to succeed May.

That may be a reason for him to refuse it, of course.
  • Options
    Charlie Falconer declares this a day of competitive resignations. It can’t be long before he joins in.
    https://twitter.com/lordcfalconer/status/1016327509674164225?s=21
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

How about Sarah Wollaston - unlikely but she is a doctor and chair of the health select committee
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    JohnO said:

The other interesting feature will also be the other new Cabinet entrant (as well as the further reshuffle of existing members). Perhaps Rory the Tory will be elevated, not least to restore the Etonian quota. Plus the lower ranks at Minister of State/PUSS.

Perhaps Robert Smithson’s day will be made by Kwasi Kwateng finally getting a job?

Tracey crouch... Time to step up!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

How about Sarah Wollaston - unlikely but she is a doctor and chair of the health select committee
    No, she’d be another Estelle Morris. Not up to it.
  • Options
    Hunt should have got the job in the last ultra botched reshuffle. Finally Mrs M listens to the sage counsel of TSE et moi.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Heaven forbid. Wasn't Johnson warning enough of the limits of 'inside pissing out?'
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,229

I am on at various levels from 110 downwards. Glorious winnings await us!
  • Options
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

"My grandma kept the house immaculate, with display cabinets filled with charming if not particularly valuable china..."

Personal comment: my terrace house escaped the ravages,especially popular in the 1960s, of ripping out fireplaces, walls, and other original fixtures: it still has its fitted Delft rack.

"Leavers have been very clear about what they don’t want and completely befuddled about what they might actually want..."

On the day Boris Johnson was supposed to be hosting a West Balkans Summit arranged by himself he failed to turn up at all leaving the event unhosted and creating fury among the Foreign Ministers present. He was so into himself he was holed up in his Office plotting and scheming to protect his career at the expense of our Country's reputation.

He had previously told Airbus to FO and went awol on the Heathrow vote to save his career which has ended a few days later.

I am unable to identify with him or any of the hard Brexiteers and I will fight to see our party and Country's image restored as business friendly and a Country respected on the World stage.

Tonight thanks to these zealots and the likes of the obnoxious Farage our Country is being laughed at and this at the time our wonderful football team is, wait for it, in the semi finals of the World Cup.

I hope that TM survives but if she doesn't I hope we can have a leader that holds high business and relationships around the World, including the EU, and goes someway along the road to restore our National pride and image

You're a good man.
    Good luck.
  • Options

Charlie Falconer declares this a day of competitive resignations. It can’t be long before he joins in.
    https://twitter.com/lordcfalconer/status/1016327509674164225?s=21

The good old days.... . Tory head bangers or game players not as much fun for me.
  • Options

Seems to me the entire Cabinet could resign and he would not get the call.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

No, she’d be another Estelle Morris. Not up to it.
    You are probably right but she does favour cross party involvement which is needed
  • Options

It really does seem that way.
  • Options
    Really? I wouldn't have known. But then you're always so modest about your tips.
  • Options

Wrong night to show that one.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Hmmm. Someone who knows something about their brief. That would breach all convention and precedent.
    It is not the British way.
  • Options

It really does seem that way.
    The Brad Hodge of Tory politics?
  • Options

Toms said:

Well said that man...
  • Options
    Toms said:

Toms said:

You're a good man.
    Good luck.
    Thank you
  • Options

Wrong night to show that one.
    Why...not like anything else is going on.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Really? I wouldn't have known. But then you're always so modest about your tips.
    These are my best tips since I tipped Diane Abbott as Corbyn's successor.
  • Options

Toms said:

Well said that man...
    Thank you
  • Options

ydoethur said:

These are my best tips since I tipped Diane Abbott as Corbyn's successor.
    I understand Corbyn tipped her first though.
  • Options
    Alan Duncan (old friend of Theresa’s)? Tobias Elwood another possibility for promotion. Mel Stride or Richard Harrington? But can’t be bothered to look up the list of current Ministers of State....
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hunt should have got the job in the last ultra botched reshuffle. Finally Mrs M listens to the sage counsel of TSE et moi.

She should sack Gavin Barwell and make me her Chief of Staff.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Pulpstar said:

CD13 said:

Mr Freggles,

"Not this again.
    Who voted Leave?

Where is that - Makerfield ?
    It was never made clear by the Conservatives who were running both the Leave and Remain campaigns exactly what the question was. Many people though that is was about the conditions that Mr Cameron had negotiated so spectacuarly in the previous three weeks with the various head of government in the EU. Since most people hated the Conservatives -understandably - they understood that they ought to vote against the Conservative proposals, and Mr Cameron`s government while they were at it.

That did not mean that they actually wanted to leave the EU. Still less in the way that Mrs May`s hard-line Tories chose to interpret the result.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Alan Duncan (old friend of Theresa’s)? Tobias Elwood another possibility for promotion. Mel Stride or Richard Harrington? But can’t be bothered to look up the list of current Ministers of State....

From Minister of State to FCS would be a very big jump. Has anyone made such a jump since Eden (with a brief interlude as Lord Privy Seal) in 1935?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

From Minister of State to FCS would be a very big jump. Has anyone made such a jump since Eden (with a brief interlude as Lord Privy Seal) in 1935?
    David Owen.

He went from Minister of State at the FCO to Foreign Secretary.

Edit you could argue John Major too. He went from Chief Secretary which is effectively Minister of State at the Treasury to Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,232
    New Foreign Secretary? Has to be Gavin Williamson surely
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

David Owen 1977
  • Options
    Wonder whqt anti social hour the next resignation will occur this evening?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

I can't believe that Rees Mogg supports Boris for leader. Surely even he can see that he's soiled himself

• Options

No and no again
  • Options
    houndtang said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

David Owen 1977
    Neither are exactly dazzling examples of successes.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So far panorama isn't really covering any new ground.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    I rarely agree with Alastair when it comes to Brexit but here we are. I'm a devoted Leaver and former Vote Leave constituency co-ordinator yet to be persuaded that her proposal is betrayal or BINO. It would substantially remove us from the EU and allow for later divergence on industrial and agricultural goods as and when full solutions were in place. Maybe in some parallel universe more planning was done in advance of A50 and Canada+++ was pushed for from the start by a united Cabinet. We're not in that parallel universe though. The EU may (might have?) found some spurious reason to reject May's proposal but that wouldn't make trying it wrong.
  • Options

That wouldn't be whipping, more masochism given how unpopular he is in the PCP.
  • Options
  • Options

/twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1016410107440087040

Paging brenda....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Essexit said:

The EU may (might have?) found some spurious reason to reject May's proposal but that wouldn't make trying it wrong.

That's really the key. If it gets accepted May likely wins, as God knows people are getting fed up with the "debate", but if the EU says no May is surely finished.

This discussion has been closed.