Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Former long-standing favourite to succeed TMay, Moggsy now dow

2»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    Roger said:

Travelling up to Aberdeen yesterday I listened to the story of Anauran Bevan 'Out of Tredegar'

Narrated by Michael Sheen. It was as good as radio gets. it even managed a short but perfectly formed swipe at Brexit. Really not to be missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7hl3d

Do you mean Aneurin Bevan?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Travelling up to Aberdeen yesterday I listened to the story of Anauran Bevan 'Out of Tredegar'

Narrated by Michael Sheen. It was as good as radio gets. it even managed a short but perfectly formed swipe at Brexit. Really not to be missed.

No that's his brother. Being Welsh you'd know them as part of the Pedant family.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,457
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s a lot better than it was, but still not there yet. Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for, running up massive ‘investments’ while times were good.

One of the sillier notions of Brown - and what should have been a warning sign he didn't know what he was talking about - was that he claimed he had abolished 'boom and bust' I.e. cyclical economics, but then said he was able to 'borrow to invest over the economic cycle.'

The resulting borrowing binge for current account spending was shall we say unfortunate.
    Gordon Brown later qualified this by saying he had only promised to abolish 'Tory Boom and Bust' - the implication being that an electorate would find Labour Boom and Bust quite all right. Gordon was so tribal in his mindset (Labour = goodies; Tory = baddies) that he probably even believed this.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s a lot better than it was, but still not there yet. Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for, running up massive ‘investments’ while times were good.

One of the sillier notions of Brown - and what should have been a warning sign he didn't know what he was talking about - was that he claimed he had abolished 'boom and bust' I.e. cyclical economics, but then said he was able to 'borrow to invest over the economic cycle.'

The resulting borrowing binge for current account spending was shall we say unfortunate.
    Gordon Brown later qualified this by saying he had only promised to abolish 'Tory Boom and Bust' - the implication being that an electorate would find Labour Boom and Bust quite all right. Gordon was so tribal in his mindset (Labour = goodies; Tory = baddies) that he probably even believed this.
    Actually Brown had managed to steer the economy round downturns overseas so it did seem to be working.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Actually Brown had managed to steer the economy round downturns overseas so it did seem to be working.
    You cannot polish a turd
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Cookie, the 2010 election did feature Labour attacking the prospect of evil Tory cuts. Unlike kind Labour cuts...

Mr. JohnL, Brown gave us the biggest recession in British history. I'm not sure that qualifies as success.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Narrated by Michael Sheen. BBC at its best. it even managed a short but perfectly formed swipe at Brexit. Really not to be missed.

Agreed, it was an outstanding programme.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

@SeanT is wrong, he had the full benefit of our most esteemed and excellent thoughts on here before the referendum, including very clear direction from Richard Nabavi and Alastair Meeks.
    We are not rerunning the referendum just because he's flounced - he should have thought harder before he voted to leave.

I'm sure it is nothing to do with this.

London property prices fall as much as 15% as Brexit effect deepens

Average price in Wandsworth dips more than £100,000 with falls of up to 15% in capital in 12 months

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/12/london-property-prices-plunge-as-brexit-effect-deepens
    I wish some of that house price plunging would happen in Edinburgh.
    Alas the big fall is in the most expensive homes, London as a whole fell 1.8% - useful, to me at least, but not a gamechanger
    So it is hurting those most able to afford it, and marginally useful for those who could do with some relief on house prices.
    Yes. The ordinary homeowner is basically not affected, with no prospect of negative equity.
    I think this is a little naive.

A huge portion of the stock of housing loans are in London, and LTVs are highest here. A decline in London house prices negatively impacts the ability of your bank to lend in Bolton. If the decline was serious, new lending dry up, and that would affect the whole country.
    But presumably prices would fall?

It would be interesting to see some figures around the percentage of bank lending on a regional basis. After all we're obsessed with all kinds of other regional metrics.
    Prices would fall, but the difficulties with housing would persist. I bought my first house in 1992 after a couple of years of negative equity, a 2 up 2 down terrace in Leicester. Despite a secure job as a junior Doctor, I struggled to raise the large deposit needed, and the interest rates were eye watering.

House prices need to come down, but don't expect a painless process.
    House prices went mad from 1996 to 2007. The average price went from £55,000 to £181,000. Since then, they've only risen to £214,000. But, they've still gone up by 70% in London since then, while the the North, Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland have seen no rise.

No wonder there was such a feel-good factor under Blair, and such subsequent resentment for those who suddenly found housing out of reach.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

No that's his brother. Being Welsh you'd know them as part of the Pedant family.
    Oddly, given that his name is almost always mispronounced you actually got quite close to the phonetics of his name as said in English.

(Is that pedantic enough?)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    The potential forthcoming exit of the US from NATO is going to relegate Brexit completely off the EU's agenda.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, it shouldn't.

The two strongest military nations in Europe are us and the French.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,457
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

MTimT said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

@SeanT is wrong, he had the full benefit of our most esteemed and excellent thoughts on here before the referendum, including very clear direction from Richard Nabavi and Alastair Meeks.
    We are not rerunning the referendum just because he's flounced - he should have thought harder before he voted to leave.

I'm sure it is nothing to do with this.

London property prices fall as much as 15% as Brexit effect deepens

Average price in Wandsworth dips more than £100,000 with falls of up to 15% in capital in 12 months

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/12/london-property-prices-plunge-as-brexit-effect-deepens
    I wish some of that house price plunging would happen in Edinburgh.
    Alas the big fall is in the most expensive homes, London as a whole fell 1.8% - useful, to me at least, but not a gamechanger
    So it is hurting those most able to afford it, and marginally useful for those who could do with some relief on house prices.
    Yes. The ordinary homeowner is basically not affected, with no prospect of negative equity.
    But presumably prices would fall?

It would be interesting to see some figures around the percentage of bank lending on a regional basis. After all we're obsessed with all kinds of other regional metrics.
    Prices would fall, but the difficulties with housing would persist. I bought my first house in 1992 after a couple of years of negative equity, a 2 up 2 down terrace in Leicester. Despite a secure job as a junior Doctor, I struggled to raise the large deposit needed, and the interest rates were eye watering.

House prices need to come down, but don't expect a painless process.
    House prices went mad from 1996 to 2007. The average price went from £55,000 to £181,000. Since then, they've only risen to £214,000. But, they've still gone up by 70% in London since then, while the the North, Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland have seen no rise.

No wonder there was such a feel-good factor under Blair, and such subsequent resentment for those who suddenly found housing out of reach.
    Of course, as I'm sure Sean skates over only for reasons of brevity, dig deeper and the pattern is more nuanced: many of the more econcomically active parts of the north have seen pretty steep rises since 2007 too. I suspect a map of house price growth since 2007 would look remarkably like a map of the results of the referencdum.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Europe, west of the Vistula.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, wouldn't be surprised if the UK and EU both adopt that strategy, then blame one another for the fallout.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827

Mr. Eagles, wouldn't be surprised if the UK and EU both adopt that strategy, then blame one another for the fallout.

Looking the most likely scenario right now - they don't think they need to climb down, and we might not politically be able to.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

That’s quite probable. I reckon 20-25% chance of an accidental no-deal scenario, where neither side can agree on what needs to be agreed.

As always, I hope there’s actually a bunch of adults working behind the scenes as all the politicians posture in public.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, if that does happen, I wonder if a second referendum (leave with no deal versus remain) would come roaring back onto the agenda.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089

JFC

October isn’t the last minute so if they haven’t given up on the strategy by then it could get even uglier.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

"Rolf Degen
    @DegenRolf

One possible reason why the majority of people falsely believe that the world is getting worse: Concept creep. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/1465 … "

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1012716792945528832

Fascinating, and totally believable.
    That is remarkable. I immediately thought of extreme feminists. They maintain that they live in a misogynist world where discrimination is rife despite, on every objective measure, discrimination in fact having been at the least significantly reduced. Being cynical I wondered if this was driven by the number of careers built on the concept but this is a much, much better explanation. They genuinely believe it because their concept of discrimination will expand to fill the lack of more obvious examples.
  • Options

Mr. Cookie, the 2010 election did feature Labour attacking the prospect of evil Tory cuts. Unlike kind Labour cuts...

Mr. JohnL, Brown gave us the biggest recession in British history. I'm not sure that qualifies as success.

Surely Brown's success lay in completely avoiding the global financial meltdown. Unless of course he did not -- in which case it is false to say Brown "gave us" the recession.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    That's all very well. But if this is true, the US is also signalling they are also giving up their No.1 superpower position. The position does not come just with how many times you can blow up the world , but also with your "presence". The US is going back to pre WW2 or even pre WW1.

Is Trump a sleeper KGB spy of many years ?
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, I'm bemused by your position, which completely voids any responsibility for UK economic performance from the man who was Chancellor for a decade and then Prime Minister for three years.
  • Options

Putin just texted me to say you forgot one.
  • Options

Surely Brown's success lay in completely avoiding the global financial meltdown. Unless of course he did not -- in which case it is false to say Brown "gave us" the recession.
    The Great Recession was an infection that came directly from US sub-prime lending and associated derivatives.

The only way you could say Brown was implicated was that he did not force the FSA and BoE to regulate much more tightly than any other western country was doing. At the time the Opposition was calling for even less regulation.
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, I think hoping Russia might help fill a theoretical NATO void or defend the EU is optimistic.

I do wonder about seeing Russia as European, though. Geographically, it's mostly Asian.
  • Options

God forbid there is another crisis whilst Trump is in office.

As it is he is sending us towards another Great Depression.
  • Options

Mr. JohnL, I'm bemused by your position, which completely voids any responsibility for UK economic performance from the man who was Chancellor for a decade and then Prime Minister for three years.

I have repeatedly and for years said Brown should be excoriated for PFI. I am no fanboy. But it is absurd to repeat these Tory attack lines from 2010. There was a global financial crisis, which (as the saying goes) started in America. Every economy was affected. It is simply absurd to say that Britain somehow avoided the global meltdown and instead was brought low at precisely the same time by Brown's own fumblings. It is nonsense.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,089

Mr. JohnL, I think hoping Russia might help fill a theoretical NATO void or defend the EU is optimistic.

I do wonder about seeing Russia as European, though. Geographically, it's mostly Asian.

Three quarters of the people live in the European part of it. It's a historic European power whose empire happened to stretch over land rather than over the seas which is why they still hold most of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    surby said:

That's all very well. But if this is true, the US is also signalling they are also giving up their No.1 superpower position. The position does not come just with how many times you can blow up the world , but also with your "presence". The US is going back to pre WW2 or even pre WW1.

Is Trump a sleeper KGB spy of many years ?
    A very good question.

I don't believe that our politicians, let alone the public, have woken up to the threat that is the Trump-Putin axis of co-operation and mutual admiration.

Distracted completely by Brexit the political class is asleep at the wheel on this.

We will rue the day.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I can see the posters now:

"We spend X on the NHS lets send it to the EU instead"
    Won't have the same impact if Brexit is associated with economic ruin.

Plus the comments of Leavers pre referendum will be used to damage the case of staying out.
    We keep on being told that it will be economic ruin yet the people predicting that have so far been continually wrong in their predictions.

Now what happens in the future I don't know and nor do you yet you seem very unwilling to accept that there might be any other outcome than economic ruin.
    Let us just imagine that over the last year UK retail sales had fallen by 1.6% while Germany's had increased by 3.9%.

It would be headline news and we would be being told that Brexit had destroyed the UK economy, there would be political uproar and the media would be interviews with redundant shop workers etc.

But that's not happened.

Instead its German retail sales which have fallen 1.6% over the last year and the UK's which have risen 3.9%.
    Got an email from my financial advisor pointing out that since Germany got put out the WC their stock market is down nearly 5% whilst the FTSE is fractionally up. There used to be a legend that a test win at Lords was worth 1% on the index although evidence is weak in more recent times. I don't think that there is any doubt, however, that sporting success affects the animal spirits that Keynes referred to.
  • Options

Three quarters of the people live in the European part of it. It's a historic European power whose empire happened to stretch over land rather than over the seas which is why they still hold most of it.
    Putin and his aides talk a lot about Eurasia as a concept.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,504
    edited June 2018

NEW THREAD

• Options

Three quarters of Russia's land mass is in Asia but three quarters of Russians live in Europe.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

I have repeatedly and for years said Brown should be excoriated for PFI. I am no fanboy. But it is absurd to repeat these Tory attack lines from 2010. There was a global financial crisis, which (as the saying goes) started in America. Every economy was affected. It is simply absurd to say that Britain somehow avoided the global meltdown and instead was brought low at precisely the same time by Brown's own fumblings. It is nonsense.
    Things can have more than one causal factor. You can build a building in sand at the beach, and then blame the tide when it comes in for destroying it. Yes, the tide was to blame, but a massive causal factor was the decision to build out of sand at a beach.

Likewise, saying the financial crisis was *caused* by Brown and Labour is mostly wrong. However they put the economy on such a footing that a small push would cause massive damage: using the analogy above, they built the economy out of sand. Much of the growth we saw in the early 2000s was illusory and unsustainable.

If he'd been more sensible, we'd have been able to withstand the tide better, and the damage it caused would have been lessened. But his own short-term electoral ambitions mattered more than long-term prosperity.

So it's 'simply absurd' to absolve Brown and Labour of responsibility for the mess, even if the trigger was not their fault.
  • Options

The Great Recession was an infection that came directly from US sub-prime lending and associated derivatives.

The only way you could say Brown was implicated was that he did not force the FSA and BoE to regulate much more tightly than any other western country was doing. At the time the Opposition was calling for even less regulation.
    Brown is not to blame for the misselling of US derivatives. He is not to blame for the insane pyramids of debt built on those derivatives which came crashing down when the inevitable defaults occurred.

He is to blame:

*for running a deficit in what was a boom created by this ridiculous expansion of credit.
    * for hiding the true extent of that deficit by having so much additional debt off balance sheet in PFIs
    * For setting up a regulatory system where no one was monitoring risk. It is not the quantity of regulation that is important, it is its utility. He took this away from the BoE and gave it to no one.
    * For building into our financial system engines for additional public spending such as WTCs which made controlling the deficit even more difficult.
    *For refusing to face disaster when it occurred, refusing to accept that the collapse of his tax base required spending cuts and refusing to have a spending review just so he could go on about Tory cuts.
    *For allowing our economy to become so heavily based on consumption and debt doing incredibly little to assist investment and production.
    *For expanding the size of our public sector well beyond the capacity of the economy to fund it in anything other than a boom.
    *For mendaciously reducing trust in the Treasury by, for example, constantly reannouncing the same money as new money, rolling up several years expenditure to make his numbers bigger, etc etc.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

If you look at a globe you have to wonder whether Europe and Asia are geographical entities anyway. The distinction was invented by those parochial xenophobes* the Greeks to distinguish the two sides of the Aegean and make it easier to hate foreigners, and kinda grew from there. Eurasia works as a concept for me.

*and liars.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    IanB2 said:

We keep on being told that it will be economic ruin yet the people predicting that have so far been continually wrong in their predictions.

Now what happens in the future I don't know and nor do you yet you seem very unwilling to accept that there might be any other outcome than economic ruin.

My predictions have largely been spot on.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/722391453599723520

I said overturning 43 years membership should be a process not an event, but the man who is charge of Brexit thought it would be easy.

We are in month 16 of triggering article 50 and we still haven't worked out what we want, that's something we should have sorted before we triggered Article 50.

Economic ruin will flow because we're running out of time to get stuff sorted.

There's only one realistic option as I don't think BINO will be sellable, and that's to trigger an extension of Article 50.

In less than 12 weeks time the organisation I work for will have to make decision to move several business divisions to the EU because we won't be able to function with a no deal.

I know several other firms in the field are making similar contingencies.

Not to worry, this sector only exported circa £25 billion per year of services to EU customers.
    What predictions ???

All you ever do is show that tweet full of gibberish.

Show us some actual predictions about unemployment or house prices or the stock market or the trade deficit or the construction industry or retail sales or business investment or anything to do with the economics of the last two years.

If you made any there's no shame in them being wrong, whatever they were they wouldn't have been as bollox as those that the Treasury made for George Osborne.
    in the first quarter of this year, the country's households spent £5.8 billion more than they received.
    And the government continues to borrow and the whole lot of excess spending goes on imported consumer tat and foreign holidays.

Though at least the situation has improved somewhat in recent years.
This discussion has been closed.