Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB/Polling Matters: Pollsters. hedge funds, Heathrow and w

124»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686
    HYUFD said:

Former golfer Greg Norman comes out as a Trump fan

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1012299239207198721

Golfer is right wing? you could knock me down with a feather! who has ever heard of such a thing?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

Former golfer Greg Norman comes out as a Trump fan

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1012299239207198721

Another celebrity Red (cap) under the bed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Scott_P said:
    It is a dangerous game for the Remainers to play - push towards Hard Brexit hoping it will result in No Brexit. It might just result in Hard Brexit.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Four times since the referendum I’ve seen or experienced verbal attacks along the lines of ‘Fuck off home we voted Brexit’, most recently last month in Leeds from supporters of Tommy Robinson, directed towards a Polish chap.

So they are happening.

Unless they are physical or recorded there’s a low chance of conviction as it becomes he said/they said so they don’t get reported.

The problem with your statement being is that these sorts of people would (had we voted REMAIN) simply said "Fuck off home" but not added 'we voted Brexit'. They're scum either way.

Never been told to fuck off home before the referendum though.

In 37 years prior to the referendum I’ve experienced/seen racism/bigotry first hand twice.

In 2 years since the referendum it is 4 times.
    Before the referendum i experienced racism about 10 times,who do i blame for that ? The EU ?

The racist were racist before or after the vote.
    I'm unsure it's that simple. Some losers just like to hate for whatever reason: in the old days it would have been sexism, but that's now being frowned upon by increasing numbers of people. Homophobia is also less 'acceptable'. If you go into a pub and are overtly sexist or homophobic you might get a very different reaction to the one you would have got twenty years ago.

Racism, however, is still sadly acceptable in too many places (and in different directions). If you want to hate, hating someone for their race or religion is still far too acceptable, as we see on here all too often.

Little people with tiny minds who just want a target for their hatred.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Tonight they should make each goal scored count for the other side.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

(Snip)

Some did but those were votes remain was never going to win. There were lots more people like me who wondered if it was worth the candle, worth losing Cameron and Osborne over, whether there were more important things to expend our energy on.

But the more I looked at what the EU was as an institution, the way it d to lose.
    Some of us voted Leave with the specific aim of wishing to get rid of Cameron and Osborne - and remain very content that that was achieved! I have not had strong feelings re-the EU for several decades , but had become very disturbed by the scaremongering campaigning style adopted by both at the 2015 General Election and the 2016 London Mayoral Election. They tried the same techniques in the Referendum Campaign and I was delighted that they were not rewarded with a triumph.
    "Some of us voted Leave with the specific aim of wishing to get rid of Cameron and Osborne"
    Very silly and short sighted.
    Not at all - given that some of us did not have strong views on the EU. The icing on the cake arrived unexpectedly a year later when the Tories lost their overall majority.
    Yet the Tories are still in power and thanks to the collapse of UKIP due to the Leave vote on 42%.

Had Remain narrowly won UKIP would likely have surged and the Tories and Labour and UKIP could now all be roughly tied on 20 to 30% of the vote
    I don't agree with your second sentence on the basis that a Remain vote would effectively settled the issue for a good few years. UKIP would still have fallen back as the EU faded from public view - albeit not to the extent that has occurred since the Referendum. There would be the possibility of a later revival - but probably not until the mid-2020s.
    As for the Tories being in power - 'in office but not in power' reflects the reality since June 2017.
    No. UKIP would likely have seen a mini surge from disgruntled Leavers if Remain had narrowly won just as the SNP saw a surge from disgruntled Yes voters after No narrowly won the 2014 Scottish independence referendum.

Polling similar to the 2014 European elections with UKIP on 27%, Labour on 24% and the Tories on 23% may have been possible

I disagree . Only a minority have strong views on Brexit - whether Leave or Remain - and most are heartily sick of the subject. A vote to continue with the status quo would have killed the issue for a good few years - though it could well have re-emerged in due course.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Foxy said:

Obvious move, I guess. BP buys UK's largest electric charging network.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44640647

Interestingly, many people think that Tesla setting up the charging network across the US is one of the smartest things they have done. They are in prime mover position if / when electric becomes the norm.
    I think that it's definitely 'when'.
    Personally I'm holding on to my eight year old car until I can see an electric or hybrid that I like. My sister has a Tesla, she's taking me for a spin tomorrow.
    I am looking seriously at the Hyundai Ioniq plug in Hybrid. All electric for 30 miles, but petrol when off on a trip. Hybrid of the year by What Car.

I wouldn't buy another conventional fuel car, no one will touch them second hand in the future, but all electric is a step too far at present.
    Tend to agree, but will see what my sister thinks of the Tesla when she's had it for a year or two.
    The BMW i3 has good write ups.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Scott_P said:
    It is a dangerous game for the Remainers to play - push towards Hard Brexit hoping it will result in No Brexit. It might just result in Hard Brexit.
    Nothing to do with Remainers surely - Theresa's people are just trying to rein in the Brexit Ultras with their bizarre fetish for WTO cliff-drop.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I find this car conversation daunting. I've got as far as working out that I need to buy a car but haven't the slightest idea how I'm going to choose one now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I find this car conversation daunting. I've got as far as working out that I need to buy a car but haven't the slightest idea how I'm going to choose one now.

What are you looking for? Executive saloon? SUV? Runabout?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Scott_P said:
    I don't think anybody involved has any fucking idea what is happening from one day to the next. There are no cunning plans here.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_P said:
    Remainers will own Hard Brexit.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Interestingly, many people think that Tesla setting up the charging network across the US is one of the smartest things they have done. They are in prime mover position if / when electric becomes the norm.
    Personally I'm holding on to my eight year old car until I can see an electric or hybrid that I like. My sister has a Tesla, she's taking me for a spin tomorrow.
    At one point there was a hope that hydrogen cell cars might be a better alternative to electric, but am guessing they haven't really cracked the issue with large scale production / transportation of the hydrogen.
    Toyota are still large proponents of hydrogen. I noted in the announced EU Japan FTA deal that one of the benefits was that hydrogen cars produced in the EU would not need to be technically modified to be used in Japan. So interest is still alive.
    My opinion is that short term the sales of the iPace are going to so good that the rest of the industry will rush to keep up. It will sell in volumes for city living couples with children.
    Long term which technology gets to a 600mile range will have an advantage.
    Refuelling infrastructure is rather more important, which is what will kill hydrogen. Ford, Daimler and Nissan have all more or less dropped its development for their mass market vehicles:
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Fuel-cell-cars-hit-roadblock-as-Nissan-Renault-pulls-out
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Stop using these technical terms.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

We're going to need to change my other half's Nissan X-trail in the next year or so, the economy is horrendous and the tax/repair bills unjustifiably large for an 03 reg. We'll see how much it is to pass the MOT this time round.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

:D

What kind of driving are you mainly going to be doing? Countryside, city or motorway?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

I’m selling a three year old GL.

It really is fuel efficient, for a 4.7l.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

At one point there was a hope that hydrogen cell cars might be a better alternative to electric, but am guessing they haven't really cracked the issue with large scale production / transportation of the hydrogen.
    Where/how will people charge up their electric cars if their overnight parking is on the street?
    Coming back to my question earlier: worse, if there isn't a standard for plugs, which plug format will be installed on the street?

"Sorry dear, we cannot buy this house: it has a Ford plug and we've got a Nissan, and the council won't let us dig up the street."
    The answer is yes there is, but it is evolving, like USB did but it is the CCS (Combined Charging System) from the IEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/connectors-speeds/

But Tesla do have a proprietary connector and the Japs are trying to do there own thing. But in General if the car has a proprietary connector make sure it has a CCS type 2 as well.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

What will you use it for?
    How many miles per week?
    how many times a week?
    How many people will it carry?
    Any excessive exceptions to the above (e.g. a once-a month trip to Scotland)
    Do you like cars, or are they just a tool (I guess the latter)?
    How highly do you rate the environment?
  • Options

That's a bit like saying Nicholas Soames is a fit man ... in the 300 lb+ weight category.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Try renting a few different cars and work from there. No need to try out a Nissan Micra, though, unless you enjoy being blown across the motorway in a stiff breeze.
  • Options

Where/how will people charge up their electric cars if their overnight parking is on the street?
    Coming back to my question earlier: worse, if there isn't a standard for plugs, which plug format will be installed on the street?

"Sorry dear, we cannot buy this house: it has a Ford plug and we've got a Nissan, and the council won't let us dig up the street."
    The answer is yes there is, but it is evolving, like USB did but it is the CCS (Combined Charging System) from the IEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/connectors-speeds/

But Tesla do have a proprietary connector and the Japs are trying to do there own thing. But in General if the car has a proprietary connector make sure it has a CCS type 2 as well.
    Thanks. For various reasons I know the Chinese have a separate incompatible standard they're pushing as well.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

An obvious solution (though perhaps not yet viable due to weight issues) is for every car to come with TWO batteries. Each night you take one inside to charge up and in the morning put the other one in. Reduce thefts too as you can take the battery out.

As you correctly say, electric only works for people with driveways and garages. Those in flats, or on-street only parking can't use electric cars yet. A portable battery would solve that problem.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What kind of driving are you mainly going to be doing? Countryside, city or motorway?
    Mainly but not exclusively country driving, with some long distance driving from time to time. A decent-sized boot would be useful. Not too big because I'm rubbish at parking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

(Snip)

Some did but those were votes remain was never going to win. There were lots more people like me who wondered if it was worth the candle, worth losing Cameron and Osborne over, whether there were more important things to expend our energy on.

But the more I looked at what the EU was as an institution, the way it d to lose.
    Some of us voted Leave with the specific aim of wishing to get rid of Cameron and Osborne - and remain very content that that was achieved! I have not had strong feelings re-the EU for several decades , but had become very disturbed by the scaremongering campaigning style adopted by both at the 2015 General Election and the 2016 London Mayoral Election. They tried the same techniques in the Referendum Campaign and I was delighted that they were not rewarded with a triumph.
    "Some of us voted Leave with the specific aim of wishing to get rid of Cameron and Osborne"
    Not at all - given that some of us did not have strong views on the EU. The icing on the cake arrived unexpectedly a year later when the Tories lost their overall majority.
    Yet the Tories are still in power and thanks to the collapse of UKIP due to the Leave vote on 42%.

Had Remain narrowly won UKIP would likely have surged and the Tories and Labour and UKIP could now all be roughly tied on 20 to 30% of the vote
    I don't agree with your second sentence on the basis that a Remain vote would effectively settled the issue 'in office but not in power' reflects the reality since June 2017.
    No. UKIP would likely have seen a mini surge from disgruntled Leavers if Remain had narrowly won just as the SNP saw a surge from disgruntled Yes voters after No narrowly won the 2014 Scottish independence referendum.

Polling similar to the 2014 European elections with UKIP on 27%, Labour on 24% and the Tories on 23% may have been possible

I disagree . Only a minority have strong views on Brexit - whether Leave or Remain - and most are heartily sick of the subject. A vote to continue with the status quo would have killed the issue for a good few years - though it could well have re-emerged in due course.
    So what a minority is more that enough to have got UKIP to over a quarter of the vote had Leave narrowly lost against what would still have been the 3 pro Remain parties.
  • Options

An obvious solution (though perhaps not yet viable due to weight issues) is for every car to come with TWO batteries. Each night you take one inside to charge up and in the morning put the other one in. Reduce thefts too as you can take the battery out.

As you correctly say, electric only works for people with driveways and garages. Those in flats, or on-street only parking can't use electric cars yet. A portable battery would solve that problem.

Telsa were actually considering doing this for charging stations: the entire battery is replaced in the car as you wait.

For some totally unfathomable reason the idea was dropped. ;)
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop Very exploratory PM/vanilla for you
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Mainly but not exclusively country driving, with some long distance driving from time to time. A decent-sized boot would be useful. Not too big because I'm rubbish at parking.
    Newer cars come with front and rear parking sensors/cameras.
  • Options

We can invade France and turn it into a giant detention camp to hold Leavers in.

You've got my vote! Better yet, get us LEAVERS to do the invading first. Then there will be less survivors and less to imprison.

Problem - Force de frappe?

• Options
    Alastair I take it you're not in the market for an 03 X-trail :) ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Parliament has already effectively voted not to take over from the Executive if a No Deal outcome is likely as well as for Brexit and to leave the single market and customs union
  • Options

I think we are much more likely to see charging hardware built into streetlamps.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That's a bit like saying Nicholas Soames is a fit man ... in the 300 lb+ weight category.
    It is more fuel efficient than the 4.4L ML.

I love my one man global warming machines.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll still be doing the whole head over the shoulder thing when I catch up to today's "newer" cars.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What kind of budget and how much do you care about the environment?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    https://www.axios.com/trump-to-meet-putin-in-finland-next-month-1530187745-640c9bc5-5a9e-4455-82ac-c78ea5736de9.html

A meeting in which Trump will no doubt reassure Putin of his continued support.

It is astonishing that US public haven't woken up to what has happened to their country.
  • Options

Never been told to fuck off home before the referendum though.

In 37 years prior to the referendum I’ve experienced/seen racism/bigotry first hand twice.

In 2 years since the referendum it is 4 times.

I stand by my statement. They're scum either way. They may not have said it (trying to show some air of 'politeness') but they would've thought it. Brexit has brought out their inner voice but I doubt anyone has changed their thoughts one bit by the vote.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'll still be doing the whole head over the shoulder thing when I catch up to today's "newer" cars.
    I'm not keen on them, they start screaming at you when you get within a yard of another vehicle.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Buy an iPace. Get a charging point install in your country pile. When Sadiq bans diesel and petrol cars because of emissions you can drive to work on empty roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVahSvWpnyo&t=14s
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Personally I want to see if I can keep my Peugeot going till 2030. It'll be going to its homeland for the first time ever this autumn, as I drive abroad for the first time ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I haven't thought too much about budget. I do care about the environment (one reason I've never owned a car). I do have a garage with power points but don't desperately fancy reversing into it every night if I don't have to.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Totally agree.

3 times majority election winner , seems to be discounted by them.

Perhaps, but 2005 was (let's be honest) only because of very very favourable boundaries. Cameron himself said it after 'winning' in 2010. He got more vote share than Blair in 2005, and a bigger margin against Labour than Blair's 3% against the Conservatives, but fell short.

• Options

https://www.axios.com/trump-to-meet-putin-in-finland-next-month-1530187745-640c9bc5-5a9e-4455-82ac-c78ea5736de9.html

It is astonishing that US public haven't woken up to what has happened to their country.

Decades of culture wars (and unchallenged superpower status) mean that Trump's base now hates and fears their own countrymen (Democrats) more than foreign authoritarian dictators.
  • Options
    @Thescreamingeagles Can I apply for a French passport on the basis of how much I love my Peugeot :) ?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Personally I want to see if I can keep my Peugeot going till 2030. It'll be going to its homeland for the first time ever this autumn, as I drive abroad for the first time ;)
    I refuse to drive abroad, on most drives in the past, my default is to start driving on the left hand side like a good Brit.

I really don't want someone's death on my conscience.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Thescreamingeagles Can I apply for a French passport on the basis of how much I love my Peugeot :) ?

So long as you can belt out a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited June 2018

The Tesla Model S battery weighs 540kg. Even at half that, that's going to be a little difficult to shift in and out every morning.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options

Decades of culture wars (and unchallenged superpower status) mean that Trump's base now hates and fears their own countrymen (Democrats) more than foreign authoritarian dictators.
    And most elite Democrats are more comfortable travelling abroad than the heartland of their own country
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I haven't thought too much about budget. I do care about the environment (one reason I've never owned a car). I do have a garage with power points but don't desperately fancy reversing into it every night if I don't have to.
    I've been looking at a couple of cars for when I get back to London, I think you probably fit into the same category.

The cars I'm considering are the Jaguar I-Pace (all electric, 300 mile range, expensive) or the Lexus NX hybrid (hybrid, cheaper, very comfortable drive, especially for the countryside).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

When my wife brought over her car from Ireland the house we lived in had a parking space behind the house, accessible by reversing between our house and our neighbour. Frequent practice in a safe environment is the best way to learn. It worked for me.
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks

I reckon the Volvo V40 is the car for you and your needs.

I had one for a few months and I loved it, I've always loved Volvos, my first ever car was a Volvo.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Whoever follows Trump, if indeed, anyone does in a democratic sense, will have one hell of a mess to clear up. It would take an FDR to be frank.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've been looking at a couple of cars for when I get back to London, I think you probably fit into the same category.

The cars I'm considering are the Jaguar I-Pace (all electric, 300 mile range, expensive) or the Lexus NX hybrid (hybrid, cheaper, very comfortable drive, especially for the countryside).
    I'll take a look, thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Apparently vardy, dier, Cahill and rose to start tonight in the after you, no after you, game against Belgium.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Depends what you mean by the countryside. For the overwhelming majority it just means narrower roads and hedgerows plus the occasional party with parking in a field or point-to-point so that would mean a higher car which I suppose means a 4x4 although in the summer you can't see round the verges anyway so you would need to drive carefully whatever you're in and the 4x4 becomes less necessary.

There is very little you can't or need to do in the "countryside" that you can't do in a "city" car.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Yorkcity said:

Totally agree.

Perhaps, but 2005 was (let's be honest) only because of very very favourable boundaries. Cameron himself said it after 'winning' in 2010. He got more vote share than Blair in 2005, and a bigger margin against Labour than Blair's 3% against the Conservatives, but fell short.

And he was against michael Howard.
  • Options

Apparently vardy, dier, Cahill and rose to start tonight in the after you, no after you, game against Belgium.

As I said upthread the way to make it interesting is to have each goal count for the other side.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Whoever follows Trump, if indeed, anyone does in a democratic sense, will have one hell of a mess to clear up. It would take an FDR to be frank.
    America is actually in a better state now than it was in say 1932, 1968, 1976, 1980 or 2008 so I am sure whoever succeeds Trump, maybe Joseph P Kennedy III in 2024, will sort it out
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Depends what you mean by the countryside. For the overwhelming majority it just means narrower roads and hedgerows plus the occasional party with parking in a field or point-to-point so that would mean a higher car which I suppose means a 4x4 although in the summer you can't see round the verges anyway so you would need to drive carefully whatever you're in and the 4x4 becomes less necessary.

There is very little you can't or need to do in the "countryside" that you can't do in a "city" car.
    Agreed, which is why the crossover car concept is brilliant. Not as unweildy as a 4x4/SUV, all of the comfort and luxury. The I-Pace looks amazing, but I'd end up getting the world's biggest bollocking from my mum if I spent £60k+ on a car. :/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed, which is why the crossover car concept is brilliant. Not as unweildy as a 4x4/SUV, all of the comfort and luxury. The I-Pace looks amazing, but I'd end up getting the world's biggest bollocking from my mum if I spent £60k+ on a car. :/
    ha! 'cept no one these days spends £60k on a car. They make a downpayment and pay £XXX per month then roll the contract at the end of the term.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,686

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Get a car with a reversing camera, and sensors then it isnt a problem. Hyundai Ioniq has this as standard.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ha! 'cept no one these days spends £60k on a car. They make a downpayment and pay £XXX per month then roll the contract at the end of the term.
    I know that, but my mum will just see the ticket price and go mental.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Foxy said:

I am looking seriously at the Hyundai Ioniq plug in Hybrid. All electric for 30 miles, but petrol when off on a trip. Hybrid of the year by What Car.

I wouldn't buy another conventional fuel car, no one will touch them second hand in the future, but all electric is a step too far at present.
    Tend to agree, but will see what my sister thinks of the Tesla when she's had it for a year or two.
    The BMW i3 has good write ups.
    Is your sister one of the lucky ones with a driveway on which to charge her Tesla.

If you park in the street outside your house it is unlikely there will be an overnight charging point - so what do you do?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Doesn't "rubbish at parking" actually mean crap at driving and a danger on the roads? If you can't control a car at 2mph you shouldn't be trying to at 70. Get some more lessons and learn how.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Yorkcity said:

Totally agree.

Wasn't 2005 also down to the extremely favourable (for Labour) division of the vote in Scotland, where Labour won more than two-thirds of the seats off only 39.5% of the vote?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

(Snip)

I don't agree with your second sentence on the basis that a Remain vote would effectively settled the issue 'in office but not in power' reflects the reality since June 2017.

So what a minority is more that enough to have got UKIP to over a quarter of the vote had Leave narrowly lost against what would still have been the 3 pro Remain parties.
    I suspect that in the short term UKIP would have struggled to reach 10% had we seen a Remain vote in 2016. Eventually a further EU related crisis might well have arisen but probably not until several years into the 2020s.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    "Tory Brexiteer Iain Duncan Smith links CBI to Nazi appeasement"

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-brexiteer-iain-duncan-smith-links-cbi-to-nazi-appeasement-11419694
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

(Snip)

Some of us voted Leave with the specific aim of wishing to yoral Election. They tried the same techniques in the Referendum Campaign and I was delighted that they were not rewarded with a triumph.

I suspect that in the short term UKIP would have struggled to reach 10% had we seen a Remain vote in 2016. Eventually a further EU related crisis might well have arisen but probably not until several years into the 2020s.
    Ridiculous, over 40% would have voted Leave even had Remain narrowly won so even just under half of that would have taken UKIP to 20%
This discussion has been closed.