Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A little local difficulty. A forgotten part of English democra

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

So there is some space?

In the current facilities?

No
    Here's the actual tweet:

“There is no space” for customs checks at Dover and Channel Tunnel “literally on the cliff edge” says Eurotunnel boss John Keefe.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Amazing really that the UK Govt has not made preparations for a smart border, at all as far as I can see, because if there is no smart border there will be SM/CU membership.
    Did our current PM and Chancellor of the Exchequer vote for or against SM/CU membership in 2016?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Australia losing 2-0 to Peru....no laughing at the back.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mitch McConnell just posted a picture of him and Gorsuch after the news of the SCOTUS upholding the travel ban broke: https://twitter.com/team_mitch/status/1011615705568071681?s=21
    Yeah, the US isn’t just going to go back to normal after Trump’s presidency. I don’t think Dems will ever move past what happened with Garland.

At the time, I thought it a big mistake on the part of the Republicans, as they'd end up with someone to the left of Garland. But, they gambled and won.
    Every time I look to what’s happening in America, I feel beyond lucky to live in this country. Several of these SCOTUS decisions are thousand times worse than Brexit.
    If the Republicans hold the Senate, this Autumn, and if either Ginsburg or Kennedy retire or die before 2020, (and I'd say the likelihood of both is high) then Trump will be able to appoint another hardline conservative to SCOTUS.
    Yep. Don’t forget about Breyer as well - he’s 80. Looks like Roberts will be the swing vote lol.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,687
    Scott_P said:
    It is a great graphic, but doesnt it just show that (apart from the GFC of 2008-9) that we are out of phase with the other G7 countries. We seem to bounce from top to bottom of the group fairly regularly. Not that I think that we will be top for a while.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Scott_P said:
    A testament to George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mitch McConnell just posted a picture of him and Gorsuch after the news of the SCOTUS upholding the travel ban broke: https://twitter.com/team_mitch/status/1011615705568071681?s=21
    Yeah, the US isn’t just going to go back to normal after Trump’s presidency. I don’t think Dems will ever move past what happened with Garland.

At the time, I thought it a big mistake on the part of the Republicans, as they'd end up with someone to the left of Garland. But, they gambled and won.
    Every time I look to what’s happening in America, I feel beyond lucky to live in this country. Several of these SCOTUS decisions are thousand times worse than Brexit.
    If the Republicans hold the Senate, this Autumn, and if either Ginsburg or Kennedy retire or die before 2020, (and I'd say the likelihood of both is high) then Trump will be able to appoint another hardline conservative to SCOTUS.
    Yep. Don’t forget about Breyer as well - he’s 80. Looks like Roberts will be the swing vote lol.
    Certainly if Trump were to appoint Ann Coulter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    It is a great graphic, but doesnt it just show that (apart from the GFC of 2008-9) that we are out of phase with the other G7 countries. We seem to bounce from top to bottom of the group fairly regularly. Not that I think that we will be top for a while.
    It looks as if the UK growth rate hasn't altered by very much over the past 8 years.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If she were slightly younger, Judge Judy would be a better celebrity candidate than Oprah to run against Trump.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Trump's gonna appoint Roy Moore when the next vacancy on the Supreme Court arises.
  • Options
    Only democracy in the Middle East dontyaknow

https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1011571272826982400
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Trump's gonna appoint Roy Moore when the next vacancy on the Supreme Court arises.
    I wonder how Denning would have got on in SCOTUS :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    It looks as if the UK growth rate hasn't altered by very much over the past 8 years.
    Are you suggesting that we have abolished Tory boom and bust? :)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Tbh I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen! GMB keeps having her on for some reason.
  • Options

Netanyahu had a very shy vote. Clearly Israelis want someone like him in charge, but they can't even admit it to an exit poller.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Netanyahu had a very shy vote. Clearly Israelis want someone like him in charge, but they can't even admit it to an exit poller.
    I'm sure there was a shy vote for Hendrik Verwoerd too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He'd be considered a liberal pinko commie.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He'd be considered a liberal pinko commie.
    Now how would Hizzoner Cantley got on in SCOTUS
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Too old. Ann Coulter could have thirty years of judging ahead of her.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    On topic, the coalition also extended the opportunity (right) to have a parish or town council to areas that don't have one, such as all of London. I believe there is only one, maybe two, parts of London that have taken this up; another little-known aspect of local government?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

Alistair said:

OchEye said:

One point about all these electric planes, cars and what have you, that I question, is where is all this electricity going to come from?

Last year the SNP shouted out that renewables were powering Scotland's homes for all of a couple of weeks in the year. Sounds fine until you realise that the power to homes is only 40% of all the power required, the other 60% is required for business and industry, including for electric trains.

Hinckley C, the Swansea Lagoons and other renewable technologies will only be able to provide a very small percentage of the power required to power all those new travel technologies, plus the homes, buildings and industries that will need to come into being to support them.

Do we really want windmills all over our green and pleasant land, fields of solar panels rather than filled with cows, sheep or crops.

Please do not mention Fusion or some other mythical technologies, unless there is some kind of unexpected amazing wonder breakthrough of the kind we have been promised for the past 50 years we will be stuffed..

Ps: In mentioning the SNP, I would say that any government would be only too happy to spin the news given half a chance. Just the SNP seems to be able to do spin better than all those e***n windmills.

Yes, we should have loads more wind and solar. Only a teeny tiny fraction of Britain is built on, we can easily have loads more renewables installed.
    If we are going to go full-on with renewables then we also require huge investment in energy storage to kick in when it is cold, dark and the air is still. Otherwise we still need to build loads of gas-fired plants that sit there doing bugger all most of the time.

If we want dispatchable green energy then either renewables plus storage or thermal plant with CO2 capture is the solution.

Saying that renewables are cheaper is false if you don't include the cost of storage or back-up generation.
    Yes, but remember that gas turbines, particularly open cycle ones, are small, maintenance light, and cheap to buy A 400mw OCGT would cost between an eighth and a fifth of a new coal plant, would have lower operating and maintenance costs, and would be more flexible.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Isn't that bounce simply an artefact of the way the data is being treated? You only have one data point for the UK, and it is being compared to the average of 6 over bits of data. So the variability of the UK data point will inevitably be greater.

But I agree it is a great graph. Not much sign of the supposed poor economic management of the last Labour government incidentally.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:
    It doesn't show what they claim at all. It shows we started dropping relative to the rest of the G7 half way through 2014. Osborne's great stewardship?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @tpfkar my parents aren’t the fomenting type. Non-conformists don’t approve of alcohol much either.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Too old. Ann Coulter could have thirty years of judging ahead of her.
    What about Roseanne Barr ;-) ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    Isn't that bounce simply an artefact of the way the data is being treated? You only have one data point for the UK, and it is being compared to the average of 6 over bits of data. So the variability of the UK data point will inevitably be greater.

But I agree it is a great graph. Not much sign of the supposed poor economic management of the last Labour government incidentally.
    The graph does start in 2008, and the UK was bottom of the pile coming out of the recession.
  • Options
    At least they didn't maximum captain Ronaldo last night !

Good job he didn't get a red could have got me about -8..
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Global warming caused by increased CO2?

Eh? Eh?

Then how come I can't get my beer coz there's a CO2 shortage?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44613652

It's all a conspiracy, I tells ya!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2018

Eh? Eh?

Choose better beer.

Also: entropy.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    God bless Populus, they've just sent me this email.

We are looking for people who will be watching the British Formula 1 Grand Prix on Sunday 8th July and are interested in using brand new technology to analyse your experience.

The new technology will help F1 improve the viewer experience using the biometric meter which will analyse your galvanic skin response and heart rate throughout the race

You will be paid £50 if you are selected for the study!

To find out more and to see if you qualify for the study, please complete the survey below.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

@tpfkar my parents aren’t the fomenting type. Non-conformists don’t approve of alcohol much either.

Not fomenting or fermenting.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Interesting article, in Epping the town council has called a referendum on the neighbourhood plan
  • Options

We are looking for people who will be watching the British Formula 1 Grand Prix on Sunday 8th July and are interested in using brand new technology to analyse your experience.

The new technology will help F1 improve the viewer experience using the biometric meter which will analyse your galvanic skin response and heart rate throughout the race

To find out more and to see if you qualify for the study, please complete the survey below.

Just don't think of AV randomly during the race... you'll completely throw their analysis.
  • Options

Eh? Eh?

Choose better beer.

My tongue might have been somewhere near my cheek when I wrote that... ;)
  • Options

How good is it at recording people nodding off?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I think ITV will go for that with their second pick.
  • Options

Eh? Eh?

Choose better beer.

My tongue might have been somewhere near my cheek when I wrote that... ;)
    Yes, I didn't have you down as someone who drank beer that had fizz added.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think ITV will go for that with their second pick.
    Saturday night prime time, seems nailed on for ITV.
  • Options
    Your Brexit is getting softer every minute.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1011644191917727744
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

News › UK › UK Politics
    Tory MPs could refuse to back tax rises for £20bn NHS boost, says Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Influential backbencher said Philip Hammond would be moving into 'dangerous territory' if he ditched a manifesto pledge to keep taxes low
  • Options

Single Market in services? that seems more integrated than where we are now. Hopefully it means we can bet while on holiday in the EU.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    In my experience logjams in parish level government occur in market towns which have party political types on them, whereas most parishes do not, or tiny parishes where too few care and you can end up with personalised factions of only a few people causing all manner of problems. Given the level of support parishes get, I would not be surprised if there is not considerable illegality even going on in some, by accident a lot of the time, as a result of the dysfunction I have seen in some.

For all that I have not come across a parish poll like this before. Sounds interesting, frankly.
  • Options

News › UK › UK Politics
    Tory MPs could refuse to back tax rises for £20bn NHS boost, says Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Influential backbencher said Philip Hammond would be moving into 'dangerous territory' if he ditched a manifesto pledge to keep taxes low

JRM is a crowd pleaser!
  • Options

Give me a B, give me an I, give me an N, give me an O.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Excuse for May to sack him for breaching collective responsibility on Cabinet commitment to leave the single market while also appeasing Welsh Tories annoyed by his Swansea tidal lagoon decision?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

News › UK › UK Politics

Surely he will say they will still be lower than a Labour government.

That's enough to keep the party united.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

A thousand times worse? Strong words indeed.

It is their country and legal system, so I try not to be too judgemental, but some of the cases and decisions, and how often it sounds like politics is the primary consideration (though not always) do worry me.
    kle4 said:

In my experience logjams in parish level government occur in market towns which have party political types on them, whereas most parishes do not, or tiny parishes where too few care and you can end up with personalised factions of only a few people causing all manner of problems. Given the level of support parishes get, I would not be surprised if there is not considerable illegality even going on in some, by accident a lot of the time, as a result of the dysfunction I have seen in some.

For all that I have not come across a parish poll like this before. Sounds interesting, frankly.

Fine by me, but I still don't see how we get that, or the government survives it if it is.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

News › UK › UK Politics

Extraordinary. Rees-Mogg has blown apart Theresa's 'Brexit Dividend', which was surely calculated to make Brexit impossible to oppose.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. Eagles, fitting, given your name.

On betting and parents: I did just mention it in passing but don't bang on about it. A year or two ago, my father asked me to put a bet on the Grand National (something or other Arthur was the horse's name). I put a little on for myself, on the basis I'd be pissed off if he won via my account and I didn't actually make anything.

The horse won.

My mother would need sedating if she ever found out how spread betting works and that I dabble a lot in it.
    Your mother would need sedating if she ever you out about a lot you get up to...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Another comment in that thread was that there was literally no space for customs facilities at the UK terminus of the channel tunnel.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1011610133267406849

Yes, no space:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0983661,1.1281326,4580m/data=!3m1!1e3
    I was going to point out similar :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Another comment in that thread was that there was literally no space for customs facilities at the UK terminus of the channel tunnel.

Yes, no space:

Vote Brexit, trash the Green Belt.
    A tiny fraction of it, maybe.
    Amazing.

Let me guess your aerial shot is nowhere near where you live.
    Based on the aerial shot, no one does. The farmer might be annoyed though. Just pointing out it was factually incorrect to say that there was no space.
    I suspect the actual issue is one of timings for compulsory purchase. If the government had started in - say - 2016 there would be no problem. But with just nine months to go ...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A complete shower from SWR tonight.

https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/swml2#T_WOKING

I’m on 1L49.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

Amazing.

Based on the aerial shot, no one does. The farmer might be annoyed though. Just pointing out it was factually incorrect to say that there was no space.
    I suspect the actual issue is one of timings for compulsory purchase. If the government had started in - say - 2016 there would be no problem. But with just nine months to go ...
    It's a WW1 mobilisation problem. Once you start, it sets off a chain reaction and you can't stop.

If they'd done that, car factories would have closed, Northern Ireland would be in flames, and their Brexit strategy would lie in ruins.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

So we don't only got no Deal. We could lose Folkestone and Hythe as well.
  • Options
    Huh, well now I don't know what to think:

ber's ban on its licence by London's transport regulator, Transport for London, (TfL) to operate in the city has been overturned in court...Following a court hearing, the company has been granted a licence but it has been put on probation for 15 months

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "After years of operating poorly in London, Uber has now accepted that TfL's action in refusing to renew their licence was totally justified. Today our stance has been vindicated by the court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44612837

It seems Uber haven't got the five years they were originally after, but are TfL 'totally justified' given the ban has still been overturned, albeit with probation?
  • Options
    Uber's ban on its licence by London's transport regulator, Transport for London, (TfL) to operate in the city has been overturned in court.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

Amazing.

Just say that the farmers are thwarting Brexit for their own greed. Then pass a law allowing the government to seize any land at no cost. (The government have already annoyed most of their natural supporters so why not add landowners to the mix?)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

That land, which may look flat in Google Maps, is not very flat in reality:
    https://binged.it/2KszbE8

Does anyone here have an idea on how much space are would be required, because there doesn't look like that much 'flat' land usable thereabouts - at least without going up the 'cliff' to the north...
  • Options
    A new match ball will be used for the knockout stage of the World Cup in Russia, Fifa has announced.

The Telstar Mechta will replace the Telstar 18, the Adidas ball used throughout the group stage.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited June 2018
    Today's Tesco Strawberry score is a nondescript eight:

Angus
    Pethshire
    Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambrdigeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

Of more interest was the appearance of some Herefordshire gooseberries meaning British strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries and gooseberries are all available.

But does anyone actually like gooseberries ?
  • Options
    The embrace is in some ways an awkward one. Hours after Britain voted to leave the European Union, Arron Banks sent a congratulatory text message to Nigel Farage summing up their achievement.

“In the last day we have won the referendum, fucked Cameron, fucked Corbyn, caused a second referendum in Scotland, caused a discussion of a united Ireland…”, Banks wrote to Farage, who fronted Banks’s Leave.eu campaign.

https://medium.com/@marcusleroux/the-dup-didnt-think-brexit-would-be-this-complicated-e0dabc645fa2
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

Amazing.

Just say that the farmers are thwarting Brexit for their own greed. Then pass a law allowing the government to seize any land at no cost. (The government have already annoyed most of their natural supporters so why not add landowners to the mix?)
    You can't really threaten No Deal properly unless you have dictatorial control of the economy so just pass a Brexit War Measures Act and put the Remoaners in internment camps.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Today's Tesco Strawberry score is a nondescript eight:

Angus
    Pethshire
    Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambrdigeshire
    Herefordshire
    Kent

Of more interest was the appearance of some Herefordshire gooseberries meaning British strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries and gooseberries are all available.

But does anyone actually like gooseberries ?

One of the finest fruits. Particularly good in an open puff pastry pie with strawberries or as a sauce for grilled mackerel.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

News › UK › UK Politics

Surely he will say they will still be lower than a Labour government.

That's enough to keep the party united.
    GE 2017 really fooked TM.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Uproar in Welsh Assembly today over the lagoon decision including from the Welsh Conservative leader with a motion tomorrow seeking the abolition of the position of Secretary of State for Wales

Make no mistake this was a seriously bad decision for Wales and terrible for Welsh conservatives
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Uproar in Welsh Assembly today over the lagoon decision including from the Welsh Conservative leader with a motion tomorrow seeking the abolition of the position of Secretary of State for Wales

Make no mistake this was a seriously bad decision for Wales and terrible for Welsh conservatives

There is no MMT for Wales.

Only for West London new runways and the NHS in England.

Oh and for DUP pet projects in NI

You have my sympathy Big G

Really bad Politics by this Chaotic Government
  • Options
    Theresa really needs to abolish that ERG thing. It's a party within a party and gives Rees-Mogg unprecedented levels of power.
  • Options

The 90-year strike price might have been the nail in the coffin. Hinkley C only has 35 years.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The 90-year strike price might have been the nail in the coffin. Hinkley C only has 35 years.
    Does that include storage of Nuclear waste?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250

I don't get it. The party of business says fuck business. The party doing better in Wales says fuck wales. The party winning unexpected seats in Scotland says Fuck Scotland. Is the plan to piss absolutely everyone off on the altar of crash Brexit? Is the utopia of crashing out with no deal and no prep and no friends really worth smashing everything else they've been fighting for?
  • Options

Theresa really needs to abolish that ERG thing. It's a party within a party and gives Rees-Mogg unprecedented levels of power.
    I'm utterly shocked that a Tory wants to keep taxes low.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

Amazing.

It's a WW1 mobilisation problem. Once you start, it sets off a chain reaction and you can't stop.

If they'd done that, car factories would have closed, Northern Ireland would be in flames, and their Brexit strategy would lie in ruins.
    They have a Brexit strategy? Who knew?

In more important news, 3 Foxes in the Nigeria line up. Lets see the Argies go home!
  • Options
    edited June 2018

And HS2

This decision along with others has led to me questioning my membership and if I as a loyal member feel like this what does it say about the conservatives generally
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes, apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hinkley-point-c-funded-decommissioning-programme
  • Options

I don't get it. The party of business says fuck business. The party doing better in Wales says fuck wales. The party winning unexpected seats in Scotland says Fuck Scotland. Is the plan to piss absolutely everyone off on the altar of crash Brexit? Is the utopia of crashing out with no deal and no prep and no friends really worth smashing everything else they've been fighting for?
    As Bakunin once observed "The urge to destroy is also a creative urge".

Brexiteers for Year Zero, advance!
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Hadleigh is indeed Sadleigh overlooked. Great place.

Now I'm wondering what I can get Myland Community Council to hold a referendum on...
  • Options

The embrace is in some ways an awkward one. Hours after Britain voted to leave the European Union, Arron Banks sent a congratulatory text message to Nigel Farage summing up their achievement.

“In the last day we have won the referendum, fucked Cameron, fucked Corbyn, caused a second referendum in Scotland, caused a discussion of a united Ireland…”, Banks wrote to Farage, who fronted Banks’s Leave.eu campaign.

https://medium.com/@marcusleroux/the-dup-didnt-think-brexit-would-be-this-complicated-e0dabc645fa2

Well he was wrong on at least half those claims
  • Options

Makes it even more likely May has to sack Greg Clark sooner rather than later then
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    RobD said:

The technology is a leading first for Wales with the prospect of considerable interest worldwide and in enormous advances in tidal power. But we are only Wales, very sad and short sighted
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, apparently.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hinkley-point-c-funded-decommissioning-programme
    Good to see the document has been thoroughly proofread:

4.1.3 The Parties shall each use their reasonable endeavours to procure that the first
    (1st) Draft Contributions Notice is verified by the Independent Financial Verifier in
    accordance with paragraph 10.17 (Operator calculations will be verified) of
    Schedule 8 (Annual Review Programme) or determined by an Independent
    Expert in accordance with Section Error! Reference source not found.
  • Options

I cannot explain the anti business and innovation attitude and it makes me hope TM will get a grip and show the door to the hard Brexiteers including Boris
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, no space:

That land, which may look flat in Google Maps, is not very flat in reality:
    https://binged.it/2KszbE8

Does anyone here have an idea on how much space are would be required, because there doesn't look like that much 'flat' land usable thereabouts - at least without going up the 'cliff' to the north...
    "Brexit Thwarted By Hill - May Resigns!"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes, apparently.

Good to see the document has been thoroughly proofread:

4.1.3 The Parties shall each use their reasonable endeavours to procure that the first
    (1st) Draft Contributions Notice is verified by the Independent Financial Verifier in
    accordance with paragraph 10.17 (Operator calculations will be verified) of
    Schedule 8 (Annual Review Programme) or determined by an Independent
    Expert in accordance with Section Error! Reference source not found.
    That was quick ;) Reference management is one of the banes of my existence.
  • Options

And HS2

This decision along with others has led to me questioning my membership and if I as a loyal member feel like this what does it say about the conservatives generally
    I remember the feeling well there was no alternative for me after the Iraq invasion.

Resigned my party membership and voted for LDs at the subsequent GE.

Chesterfield was LD gain Paul Holmes smashed Reg Race (Tony Benns replacement in the Town)
  • Options
    ‘Skyfall’s Rory Kinnear & ‘The Crown’s John Heffernan Join Benedict Cumberbatch’s C4 Drama ‘Brexit’

https://deadline.com/2018/06/skyfalls-rory-kinnear-the-crowns-john-heffernan-join-benedict-cumberbatchs-brexit-1202416606/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Makes it even more likely May has to sack Greg Clark sooner rather than later then
    Yesterday is too late
  • Options
    Come on Iceland and Nigeria....
  • Options

Power without responsibility or accountability.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

The Liberals actually have a longer record of being the party of business than the Tories, the Liberals and their predecessors the Whigs were the party of the merchant and industrial classes while the Tories were the party of the landed gentry. The Tories only became the party of business once the Liberals declined as the working class got the vote and the Labour Party replaced them as the main opponents to the Conservative Party allied with the trade unions.

I also fail to see what the Tories have done recently to hit Scotland, they gained seats in 2017 despite theiir Brexit stance and on a Unionist platform. Indeed at the 2016 Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly elections the Tories got a higher voteshare in Scotland than in Wales
  • Options
  • Options

Power without responsibility or accountability.
    Perhaps she can do a "Kinnock speech" at this year's party conference and sling 'em out?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

And HS2

I remember the feeling well there was no alternative for me after the Iraq invasion.

Resigned my party membership and voted for LDs at the subsequent GE.

Chesterfield was LD gain Paul Holmes smashed Reg Race (Tony Benns replacement in the Town)
    Chesterfield was gained by the LibDems in 2001 on a near 9% swing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesterfield_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

I don't know what Reg Race did to cause that but I doubt it was losing Tony Benn's personal vote because Benn never had one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Labour’s Brexit policy is even more of a nonsense than the cabinet’s.

https://twitter.com/philaldrick/status/1011561871642628096?s=21

What is an illegal tooth?
    The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

The Liberals actually have longer record of being the party of business than the Tories, the Liberals and their predecessors the Whigs were the party of the merchant and industrial classes while the Tories were the party of the landed gentry. The Tories only became the party if business once the Liberals declined and the Labour Party replaced them as the main opponents to the Conservative Party.

I also fail to see what the Tories have done recently to hit Scotland, they gained seats in 2017 despite theiir Brexit stance and on a Unionist platform. Indeed at the 2016 Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly elections the Tories got a higher voteshare in Scotland than in Wales
    The Tories have traditionally been a party which back small businesses - the shopkeeper, the local manufacturer etc etc. Only recently has it become the party of hedge fund managers, the city and multi national corporations like say Airbus which has been bankrolled by ten billion euro plus in taxpayer subsidies.

If you need billions in taxpayer subsidies when your main competitors don't are you really a true private sector business?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Technically the same is true in Westminster. Cabinet Ministers are appointed by the Criwn - the PM can ask them to resign but only the Queen can fire them
This discussion has been closed.