Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-election punters should check the form before risking their

1235»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Fascinating read.

The man who is, perhaps, *most* responsible for Brexit, is disassociating himself from the project.

Of course what smarty-knickers Cummings doesn’t/didn’t realise - and the same goes for his fellow travellers who populate this forum - is that a concretely planned and articulated Brexit would not have actually won the referendum.

It was obvious that promising unicorns would end in a donkey with a fucking ice cream cone sellotaped to its crown.
    You didn’t read it then. His critique is of the May/ Hammond clusterfuck since the referendum.
    I read it, and I understood it more than you seem to.

But again all this was predicted. Brexit would be a shambles, and somehow it would be Remainers fault.

(Any anyone who is daft enough to put their hand up to try to manage this - like Olly Robbins - magically becomes a Remainer).
    Robbins hasn't just magically turned into a remainer, he's always been one. I also don't think anyone can argue that the establishment is completely against Brexit and are using whatever means they have to stifle or stop it.
    Was he? I’d like to see evidence.
    All I know is that having dispensed with one lead negotiator for speaking truth to power, his replacement is now called a “Remainer” for wrestling with the complexities of Brexit.

I don’t want to go all Lady Bracknell, but...
    He was at my old College. When he was there, he was involved in pro-EU clubs by all accounts. As an aside, our current principal is very for saying Brexit must be stopped.
    Thanks. One now often now sees him described as a Remainer but he’s not a public figure.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Fascinating read.

The man who is, perhaps, *most* responsible for Brexit, is disassociating himself from the project.

Of course what smarty-knickers Cummings doesn’t/didn’t realise - and the same goes for his fellow travellers who populate this forum - is that a concretely planned and articulated Brexit would not have actually won the referendum.

It was obvious that promising unicorns would end in a donkey with a fucking ice cream cone sellotaped to its crown.
    You didn’t read it then. His critique is of the May/ Hammond clusterfuck since the referendum.

But again all this was predicted. Brexit would be a shambles, and somehow it would be Remainers fault.

(Any anyone who is daft enough to put their hand up to try to manage this - like Olly Robbins - magically becomes a Remainer).
    Robbins hasn't just magically turned into a remainer, he's always been one. I also don't think anyone can argue that the establishment is completely against Brexit and are using whatever means they have to stifle or stop it.
    You don't get more 'establishment' than JRM and BoJo.
    They're both posh / privileged but in a way they're not 'establishment' but rather mavericks.

Boris, for example, only got the London mayoral nomination and then victory because he was seen as being a bit different from the standard Conservative and the Mogg is certainly more than a bit 'out there' with regard to his views.

By comparison Cameron and Osborne are both posh and establishment while May and Hammond are affluent and establishment.
    That’s an elegant bit of pin head dancing there pardner.
    I thought I was being 'subtle' in my reasoning.

I never dared hoped I could rise to being 'elegant'.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Fascinating read.

Was he? I’d like to see evidence.
    All I know is that having dispensed with one lead negotiator for speaking truth to power, his replacement is now called a “Remainer” for wrestling with the complexities of Brexit.

I don’t want to go all Lady Bracknell, but...
    He was at my old College. When he was there, he was involved in pro-EU clubs by all accounts. As an aside, our current principal is very for saying Brexit must be stopped.
    Thanks. One now often now sees him described as a Remainer but he’s not a public figure.
    I think some of the attacks on him that he is some sort of Machiavellian figure that is looking to subvert Brexit are wrong. However, I do think TM did not so much nous in putting him in that position and with so much authority. I suspect Jeremy Heywood (who also went to my old College) was responsible for that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Fascinating read.

They're both posh / privileged but in a way they're not 'establishment' but rather mavericks.

Boris, for example, only got the London mayoral nomination and then victory because he was seen as being a bit different from the standard Conservative and the Mogg is certainly more than a bit 'out there' with regard to his views.

By comparison Cameron and Osborne are both posh and establishment while May and Hammond are affluent and establishment.
    I get it - 'establishment' is cheap insult to throw at anyone not on your side.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Fascinating read.

I get it - 'establishment' is cheap insult to throw at anyone not on your side.
    And its certainly earned those insults with its conduct in recent decades.

Though I wouldn't describe Boris and the Mogg as being 'on my side' and I doubt they would do any better if they were running things.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Omnium said:

We do have quite a long period to fix anything that's not right in the first iteration of Brexit, aka pretty much Eternity. Not of course that we want anything to go wrong, and anything that does will be damaging (or even very damaging), so it really is important that the negotiators get as little sharply wrong as possible. Nonetheless if it finishes up that, say, glassmaking gets a messed up deal it really can be revisited and quite quickly.

It cuts both ways too though - the EU may find things where they've given away too much, and want to negotiate about.

It seems to me that we ought to basically book timeslots for a yearly Brexit negotiation meeting for perhaps five years into the future. Some sort of transition protection fund should be established - both by the UK and the EU, and that fund be available to help businesses (or individuals) that have finished up being unreasonably hurt by the new arrangements. (Obviously it would have to be limited to the smaller sectors, so no energy, cars, finance etc)

In my view the Brexit agreement is a bit like passing through the eye of a needle - we're going to have far too much government involvement in all sorts of things. Once we get out the other side the government can get back out of the way and let everyone else settle down and really sort the detail out.

Imagine a Brexit shaped shoe stomping on your face (at yearly intervals), forever.
    Thanks for that. It's half empty or it's half full. You'd appear to have gone down the minority 'completely empty' route. Cheer up though, your all-gloom conclusion is certainly likely to bettered.

I'd offer - 'Imagine opportunity arriving, every day, forever'. Now apart from in the context of responding to your post I'd have to take myself off and get shot should I say such a thing.
This discussion has been closed.