Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you want to compare main party/leader performances from pas

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Cyclefree said:

Well, after 5 hours solid gardening I am resting my weary feet on the terrace, where there is sunshine, a bit of a breeze, bird song and quiet.

Does life get any more perfect? No.

Anyway, just for @NickPalmer here is dear old Jeremy giving a speech at a rally for Iran praising Iran’s “tolerance and diversity” (tell that to the Bahai’s) in 2015. He does of course mention the human rights abuses under the Shah. But not a word of criticism of the current Iranian regime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJYbR3NHoU

He mentions those Iranians who fled to London after the 1952 coup which overthrew Mossadeq and then goes on to say what a large Iranian community there is on Britain - 300,000 but in a nice piece of sleight of hand fails to mention that that community contains many who fled Iran after the Khomeinist revolution. Perhaps he did not want to upset his hosts? Perhaps he does not know about them? But in a speech devoted to a tour d’horizon of British history in Iran it is odd that he chooses to be economical with an actualite which does not reflect well on the current regime, whose tolerance and diversity he has just praised.

Note also how he pats himself on the back for raising the issue of the chemical gas attack by Saddam Hussein on Halabja and contrast this with his recent reaction to similar attacks by the Syrian leader on his people.

It is very well being in favour of a world without war and weapons and hatred, as Corbyn says in that speech. No-one would disagree with him on that aim. But it does not occur to him that a regime which treats its own people as appallingly as the Iranian regime has is perhaps not necessarily one which will spread peace and goodwill to its neighbours.

No mention of their predilection for throwing gays off roofs then? Strange that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    AndyJS said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

Popular vote in Wandsworth, total votes for all candidates:

Con: 130,254
    Lab: 125,705
    LD: 25,555
    Greens: 13,426
    Ind: 4,150
    Renew: 2,474
    UKIP: 269
    Duma Polska = Polish Pride: 96
    Democrats and Veterans Party: 26

Total votes: 301,955

Percentages:

Con: 43.14%
    Lab: 41.63%
    LD: 8.46%
    Greens: 4.45%
    Ind: 1.37%
    Renew: 0.82%
    UKIP: 0.09%
    Duma Polska = Polish Pride: 0.03%
    Democrats and Veterans Party: 0.01%

That contradicts Chris Williamson's tweet which had Labour ahead in Wandsworth
    I'll have to check it again. Maybe I've made a mistake somewhere.
    Or of course he may have done, or Abbott been doing the arithmetic.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

Percentages:

That contradicts Chris Williamson's tweet which had Labour ahead in Wandsworth
    I'll have to check it again. Maybe I've made a mistake somewhere.
    Or of course he may have done, or Abbott been doing the arithmetic.
    Either way - Curtice said Battersea would have gone blue which suggests Labour may be piling up votes in tooting at the expense of Battersea and Putney. Another tweet on Britain elects puts Labour ahead on overall vote share.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, after 5 hours solid gardening I am resting my weary feet on the terrace, where there is sunshine, a bit of a breeze, bird song and quiet.

Does life get any more perfect? No.

Anyway, just for @NickPalmer here is dear old Jeremy giving a speech at a rally for Iran praising Iran’s “tolerance and diversity” (tell that to the Bahai’s) in 2015. He does of course mention the human rights abuses under the Shah. But not a word of criticism of the current Iranian regime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJYbR3NHoU

He mentions those Iranians who fled to London after the 1952 coup which overthrew Mossadeq and then goes on to say what a large Iranian community there is on Britain - 300,000 but in a nice piece of sleight of hand fails to mention that that community contains many who fled Iran after the Khomeinist revolution. Perhaps he did not want to upset his hosts? Perhaps he does not know about them? But in a speech devoted to a tour d’horizon of British history in Iran it is odd that he chooses to be economical with an actualite which does not reflect well on the current regime, whose tolerance and diversity he has just praised.

Note also how he pats himself on the back for raising the issue of the chemical gas attack by Saddam Hussein on Halabja and contrast this with his recent reaction to similar attacks by the Syrian leader on his people.

It is very well being in favour of a world without war and weapons and hatred, as Corbyn says in that speech. No-one would disagree with him on that aim. But it does not occur to him that a regime which treats its own people as appallingly as the Iranian regime has is perhaps not necessarily one which will spread peace and goodwill to its neighbours.

No mention of their predilection for throwing gays off roofs then? Strange that.
    Nope - and of course Corbyn fanboy Owen Jones ought to be worried about that - Oxford degrees not what they were :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corrected results from my earlier post:

Wandsworth:

All votes:

Lab 122,219
    Con 121,295
    LD 24,387
    Green 12,969
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Highest vote method:

Lab 42,649
    Con 42,054
    Green 9,502
    LD 9,339
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

The Tottenham choke well and truly on. I won £105 on West Brom today and topped up my Spurs finishinh outside the top 4 position. On for just over £3,500 now. Will get another £100 when Chelsea beat Liverpool tomorrow and will top up some more, if they let me.

did you see my post earlier on similar lines, i won £130 today. Used some to back an inevitable Chelsea win tomorrow and had already bet on losing to Newcastle on Weds...

Even more Spurs is that the Baggies having beaten us in injury time look set to be relegated today anyway now with Saints winning in the late game.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,453

The Tottenham choke well and truly on. I won £105 on West Brom today and topped up my Spurs finishinh outside the top 4 position. On for just over £3,500 now. Will get another £100 when Chelsea beat Liverpool tomorrow and will top up some more, if they let me.

did you see my post earlier on similar lines, i won £130 today. Used some to back an inevitable Chelsea win tomorrow and had already bet on losing to Newcastle on Weds...

Even more Spurs is that the Baggies having beaten us in injury time look set to be relegated today anyway now with Saints winning in the late game.
    You know what's going to happen don't you.

Liverpool are going to finish 5th and win Old Big Ears in Kyiv, so the fourth place side gets shunted into the Europa League and we take their place.

You need to finish third.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    felix said:

Why mention that Owen Jones is 'Oxford educated'? Is it supposed to make us surprised at his stupidity or just add further confirmation of it?

Makes me very proud to have been at the other place.
    Cos Diane Abbott is a credit to all her fellow students?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I agree Mike, a very useful chart.

Agreed

Suggestion Mike - adding a vertical line at 50:50 would make this much easier to read
  • Options

Liverpool are going to finish 5th and win Old Big Ears in Kyiv, so the fourth place side gets shunted into the Europa League and we take their place.

I'm prepared to accept we could still get relegated at this point and after some pain numbing G&Ts
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    So change the system.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Here's what should worry the Tories about that chart. Once the governing party starts to lose ground, they continue to do so until they lose power.
  • Options
    Poor Southampton
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,069
    tlg86 said:

Here's what should worry the Tories about that chart. Once the governing party starts to lose ground, they continue to do so until they lose power.

This is a slightly unusual period because they were effectively the ConLib party for 5 years, then the Conservative party for 1, then the Brexit party for 2. Potentially they can reinvent themselves again.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

William_H said:

You can spin it however you like, but its fairly silly to pretend that getting 40% of the vote isn't an impressive performance.

Would you describe Edward Heath's performance as Tory leader in 1966 as impressive? He polled 42% and Labour won a landslide majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1966
    The Tories lost by 7.3% in 1966. Moreover, national vote shares for both the Tories and Labour were then artificially high because circa 250 constituencies had straight fights between them. The Liberals only contested 330 of the 630 seats.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Percentages:

How come you have different numbers to Chris Williamson?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Poor Southampton

A few of us are on them to go down at decent odds.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Poor Southampton

I kind of want West Brom to stay up, for all they have taken points off Liverpool this season. Quite honestly, when I've seen West Brom play they didn't look like relegation contenders, so I feel like they deserve the luck.
  • Options

Oh. Labour Corbynites heading down the same rabbit hole of popular vote as Clinton supporters did:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/992798919267704833

I'm sure he was equally upset that Labour got 100 MPs more than the Conservatives in England in 2005 even though they received fewer votes.
    Fairweather PR supporters are the worst.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Poor Southampton

Since they've effectively become our feeder club I've developed a real soft spot for them.

Plus it'll be amusing if Southampton stay up and don't get relegated like Stoke.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited May 2018
    tlg86 said:

Poor Southampton

The morality of your post reminds me of a well known headline after an earthquake in Assam. Every newspaper covered it with touching pictures and reports. The FT headline was:

"Earthquake in Assam. Tea shares drop"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

Percentages:

How come you have different numbers to Chris Williamson?
    I get 121,295 for Tory vote as a spot check (from Wandsworth website), so I agree Andy's revised figure for that at least.
  • Options
    surby said:

tlg86 said:

Poor Southampton

The morality of your post reminds me of a well known headline after an earthquake in Assam. Every newspaper covered it with touching pictures and reports. The FT headline was:

"Earthquake in Assam. Tea shares drop"
    Harsh indeed.

We get awfully mercenary on here about some things though :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Wandsworth:

All votes:

Lab 122,219
    Con 121,295
    LD 24,387
    Green 12,969
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Highest vote method:

Lab 42,649
    Con 42,054
    Green 9,502
    LD 9,339
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Lets call it gerrymandering. It is Saturday evening. Just up after a nap.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh. Labour Corbynites heading down the same rabbit hole of popular vote as Clinton supporters did:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/992798919267704833

I'm sure he was equally upset that Labour got 100 MPs more than the Conservatives in England in 2005 even though they received fewer votes.
    Fairweather PR supporters are the worst.
    Testify
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Charles said:

felix said:

Why mention that Owen Jones is 'Oxford educated'? Is it supposed to make us surprised at his stupidity or just add further confirmation of it?

I raise you by a Polly Toynbee.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2018

I think the Champions League winners qualifies as of right without denying the fourth place team their position in the qualifying round.

If Arsenal had won the Europa Cup and Liverpool the Champions League and finished 5th in the Premiership then England would have had six teams in the next competition.

Edit - Five teams maximum. If above 4th Premiership team drops to the Europa.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2499801.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    surby said:

AndyJS said:

Wandsworth:

All votes:

Lab 122,219
    Con 121,295
    LD 24,387
    Green 12,969
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Highest vote method:

Lab 42,649
    Con 42,054
    Green 9,502
    LD 9,339
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Poor targeting, more likely.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I think the Champions League winners qualifies as of right without denying the fourth place team their position in the qualifying round.

If Arsenal had won the Europa Cup and Liverpool the Champions League and finished 5th in the Premiership then England would have had six teams in the next competition.

Nah, Spurs lost their Champions League spot in 2012 when Chelsea won the Champions League and finished outside the top 4.

Ask Scrapheap, he enjoys talking about that.
  • Options

JackW said:

Nah, Spurs lost their Champions League spot in 2012 when Chelsea won the Champions League and finished outside the top 4.

Ask Scrapheap, he enjoys talking about that.
    See my link below for 2019 rules.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surby said:

AndyJS said:

Wandsworth:

All votes:

Lab 122,219
    Con 121,295
    LD 24,387
    Green 12,969
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Highest vote method:

Lab 42,649
    Con 42,054
    Green 9,502
    LD 9,339
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Doesn't even seem like it is easy to gerrymander - local parties, interests groups and residents can all submit proposals to the local government boundary commission, who care about raw numbers most of all and need a lot of reasoning to adjust, and then they can take elements from all the different submissions, and make adjustments themselves, before presenting it to parliament as a fait accompli.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,943
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Nick Griffin is a trump card in this game, right?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,646
    edited May 2018

Hope that you all piled on to West Ham today after my tip this morning. Leicester are abject at present. Puels subs today at the 60th minute were so poor that the crowd booed them and chanted "you don't know what you are doing"., then "You're getting sacked in the morning" at our own manager. At the time we were only 1 nil down. The crowd cheered when we finally had a shot on target at the 86th minute.

Unless Appleton is acting manager for the final match, Spurs are guaranteed 3 points in their final match.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Nah, you should have raised a Jeffrey Archer.
  • Options
    If you have not seen Mark Williams' opening red of this evening, all I can say is I pity you.

It was surreal, but it was brilliant.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Nah, Jeffrey Archer is the the trump card in this game.

Brasenose let in just anybody don't they?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

You’ve forced me to play Tristram Hunt
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Last year all three teams going down from the Premier League came from Brexitland.

So far Stoke is down from Brexitland. West Brom voted Leave. So too did Southampton and Swansea - just. Huddersfield possibly voted to Remain - again just.

Now work out which teams will join Stoke [ capital of Brexitland ].

Meanwhile all teams at the top are from Remainistan !
  • Options
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Do you mind? I'm eating.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I raise you by a Laurie Penny.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

He got a blue, dontcha know...
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    brendan16 said:

surby said:

Just found out the Lib Dems won 6 council seats in Merton - all in Wimbledon constituency.

Posh white liberal middle class communities who live in 'nice areas' which are less diverse than the wider city or town - essentially the definition of a Lib Dem ward/borough. Outside the very posh north of Southwark by the Thames they barely exist in poorer or average London boroughs.
    Exactly - voters who consider themselves too "nice" to vote Conservative but don't want to risk their taxes going up too much!

• Options

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I was actually in a play with Laurie!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2018

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Yeah, some mediocre, indolent posh boy called Cameron. Disappeared without trace after graduation.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I was actually in a play with Laurie!
    Too much information...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surby said:

AndyJS said:

Wandsworth:

All votes:

Lab 122,219
    Con 121,295
    LD 24,387
    Green 12,969
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

Highest vote method:

Lab 42,649
    Con 42,054
    Green 9,502
    LD 9,339
    Ind 4,150
    Renew 2,474

So Labour did win Wandsworth after all! The idea was to get out the vote. They did brilliantly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If you have not seen Mark Williams' opening red of this evening, all I can say is I pity you.

It was surreal, but it was brilliant.

Certainly fancy.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

May I ask newcomers to the site to format their contributions with more precision .... :smiley:
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Yeah, some mediocre, indolent posh boy called Cameron. Disappeared without trace after graduation.
    Dave would have gone down as our finest PM if he had attended Balliol.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

What would have happened if he'd been at Merton?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Poor Southampton

I kind of want West Brom to stay up, for all they have taken points off Liverpool this season. Quite honestly, when I've seen West Brom play they didn't look like relegation contenders, so I feel like they deserve the luck.
    West Brom fight right at the end should teach the people who bank roll this game. Pardew came in, won just one game and pocketed probably more than a million! I am not sure what he has ever actually achieved.

Meanwhile Darren Moore was always there - right there.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

I'm sure colleges in South West London are admirable ....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

With 'too many tweets make a twat' you can argue that Dave made a bigger contribution to the English language than Merton alumnus J.R.R Tolkien.
  • Options
    Re Owen Jones attending Oxford, I think Mike's alluding to Owen Jones pretending to be a man of the people.

There's nothing more nauseating that a member of the middle classes pretending to be a member of the working class.
  • Options
    JackW said:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2499801.html
    Jack is correct. ...
  • Options

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

As time goes by, my respect for Dave is actually going up. Reasonably decent person, likes dead pigs and brilliantly executed plans to target Lib Dems to win the 2015 GE.

OK, Osborne and Crosby may have a say in that.
  • Options
    surby said:

kle4 said:

Poor Southampton

West Brom fight right at the end should teach the people who bank roll this game. Pardew came in, won just one game and pocketed probably more than a million! I am not sure what he has ever actually achieved.

Sean Dyche really deserves manager of the season. Guardiola will get it, but Burnley really have no business being as high as they are with what they cost, and with the number of goals they have scored.
  • Options
    surby said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

As time goes by, my respect for Dave is actually going up. Reasonably decent person, likes dead pigs and brilliantly executed plans to target Lib Dems to win the 2015 GE.

Don't forget the targetting of the Labour seats as well.

Without winning 8 seats from Labour in 2015 Dave wouldn't have had a majority.

Huzzah for Labour complacency in 2015.
  • Options
    BBC - Alex Ferguson has had surgery for a brain hemorrhage.
  • Options

surby said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Actually, between Labour and Tory, the net win went to Labour, I think. Possibly 1 or 2.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

With 'too many tweets make a twat' you can argue that Dave made a bigger contribution to the English language than Merton alumnus J.R.R Tolkien.
    Not a very good argument, mind.
  • Options
    JackW said:

BBC - Alex Ferguson has had surgery for a brain hemorrhage.

That does not sound good.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Archer’s a Q card though - you play, you lose. He studied “in” Oxford not “at” Oxford
  • Options

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Are you saying he ran rings round Tolkien?
  • Options

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Ngcula
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

JohnO said:

Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Actually, between Labour and Tory, the net win went to Labour, I think. Possibly 1 or 2.
    Irrelevant, without those 8 gains the Tories would not have won a majority.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surby said:

kle4 said:

Poor Southampton

Sean Dyche really deserves manager of the season. Guardiola will get it, but Burnley really have no business being as high as they are with what they cost, and with the number of goals they have scored.
    At least they have a positive goal difference. Everton managed to finish fourth in 2004-05 with a goal difference of -1!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surby said:

kle4 said:

Poor Southampton

Agreed. Also they win the Brexitland Premier League - way above Bournemouth.
  • Options

Re Owen Jones attending Oxford, I think Mike's alluding to Owen Jones pretending to be a man of the people.

There's nothing more nauseating that a member of the middle classes pretending to be a member of the working class.

I just had a very weird thank you letter from my Warden (I gave a small donation).

He said that he’d previous been the church warden of a Guild Church in London and had spent many hours gazing at the tombs of my ancestors....
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Charles said:

I just had a very weird thank you letter from my Warden (I gave a small donation).

He said that he’d previous been the church warden of a Guild Church in London and had spent many hours gazing at the tombs of my ancestors....
    Seems a strange thing to put in a letter. Was he hinting that it would be good of you to leave a small something in your will as well?
  • Options
    Charles said:

As long as he didn't add 'and I hope to see you there soon', you;re probably fine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Seems a strange thing to put in a letter. Was he hinting that it would be good of you to leave a small something in your will as well?
    He was just identifying various links - I suspect trying to butter me up to give more.
  • Options
    Matt.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

He was just identifying various links - I suspect trying to butter me up to give more.
    Or - and I may be going out on a limb here - he was just a reasonably nice person trying to say thank you
  • Options

Matt.

Is he suggesting that our negotiators are going to be screwed somehow whatever their answer?
  • Options
    On topic this chart is great to silence those Tories/May fans who frottage themselves silly over the fact Mrs May did so well because she polled over 40%.

They ignore the fact Corbyn polled in the 40s as well.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783

Indeed. I'm trying to think of a recent example... :)
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

On topic this chart is great to silence those Tories/May fans who frottage themselves silly over the fact Mrs May did so well because she polled over 40%.

They ignore the fact Corbyn polled in the 40s as well.

To be strictly accurate he polled 39.99 on a nationwide share.

Per opposed candidate it was over 40.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Or - and I may be going out on a limb here - he was just a reasonably nice person trying to say thank you
    That - and trying to butter me up (I’m not offended - it’s part of his job)
This discussion has been closed.