Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big question today is how many voters can’t cast their ballo

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2018

Option B will be fudged. Who do you think the EU are more worried about pissing off - the UK or Ireland? Ask Greece.
    Without a doubt, the EU is less worried about pissing off the UK. It's now a non-member.

Edit. If it's between Ireland and the combined forces of France and Germany that might be different. The UK would have to make a powerful case to those countries to get them to support removing the Irish border backstop. No sign of it at the moment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm posting this again, because it is the perfect solution, which avoids disenfrachisement and voting fraud.

Anybody without ID gets their fingerprints and photo taken.

This enables:

1. Checks in the event of a close result
    2. Nobody to ever vote as two different people ever
    3. A massive deterrent, because it's pretty fucking obvious if you appear with a different ID in the future (i.e. if you commit another criminal act or apply for a driving license)

It means the disorganised are not disenfranchised. And it cuts voter fraud to basically zero.

So, can everyone please agree with my solution and then we can get back to arguing about Brexit please.

It's a bloody silly idea.
    Eliminate the fingerprint bit, and it might be quite sensible. You get your photo taken at the self service checkout in many supermarkets - and a photo alone would be quite sufficient to eliminate 99.9% of fraud, wouldn't waste any time (unlike taking fingerprints), and would cost an order of magnitude less.
    Well, how about this: photograph or fingerprints?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

Just stumbled a bit of Poling news form the US, a Routers pole showing African American support for the US up a lot in a week:

Male support dubbing from 11% to 22%

and female up from 7% to 11%

Presumably, this is largely driven by Kenya Wests stream of tweets.

Will it last? Maybe

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/02/reuters-poll-black-male-approval-for-trump-doubles-in-one-week/

Interesting statistics. No offence but did you use voice recognition to make that post?
    Sorry, My dyslexia strikes again, still getting use to the spell check on a new laptop, Ill try to spell correctly, but posting on hear is ultimately a recreational activate so I hope you will forgive a few mi-stacks
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2018
    Last 15 opinion polls: only one Labour lead. Last 15 opinion polls before the 2014 local elections: only one Tory lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015#2014
  • Options
    surby said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm posting this again, because it is the perfect solution, which avoids disenfrachisement and voting fraud.

This enables:

3. A massive deterrent, because it's pretty fucking obvious if you appear with a different ID in the future (i.e. if you commit another criminal act or apply for a driving license)

It means the disorganised are not disenfranchised. And it cuts voter fraud to basically zero.

So, can everyone please agree with my solution and then we can get back to arguing about Brexit please.

Perhaps the main bod at the polling station could just automatically let anybody vote who is wearing the tie of a decent school or regiment - and disenfranchise without recourse anybody who they think looks a bit shifty?

That would be cheap....
    Ex-public school pupils should get 2 votes. That would be the simplest solution.
    It was not that long ago, 80 years I think, that going to Oxford, Cambridge and a few other Universality got you two votes at a General Election.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited May 2018

Option B will be fudged. Who do you think the EU are more worried about pissing off - the UK or Ireland? Ask Greece.
    That comes from the original "they need us more than we need them" school of thought. Remember we do not have to pay anything; they will offer us a FTA etc.

Times have changed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    A bit of an odd topic really - many probably supported Bercow's action, but it was a but shitty of him to not even consult the other people who are apparently supposed to be involved in such a decision (never mind that a request had not even come in).

The story is also odd - it claims he would be invited to speak in a room not within Bercow's control, then says it would be a challenge to Bercow's authority. If the room is not under his authority, then it cannot be a challenge to his control, it's just a loophole.

And as odious as Trump is personally, heck, he might be a Noble Prize Winner someday, best get in there early!
    He definitely won't get a Noble prize.
    I don't seriously think he will, and in any case only time can see if peace initiatives are worth the rhetoric, I just think it funny he might.
    In most of the sciences, you only get the prize a couple of decades after the discovery, because it takes that long for things to be tested to an acceptable level. It would be wise to take a similar approach with the Peace Prize.

So, if the Iran deal had helped denuclearise the Gulf, then that might have worked in Obama's favour (in 2030).

I'm guessing the problem is that scientists make their discoveries in their 20s and 30s, while politicians rarely make an impact until their 40s, with the 50s and 60s (and 70s in Trump's case) being increasingly common.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Last 15 opinion polls: only one Labour lead. Last 15 opinion polls before the 2014 local elections: only one Tory lead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015#2014

Yes, but the vote taking place today is not evenly spread across the nation, A large proportion of today votes are in areas (London) that look like they have swung to Labor disproportionately compared to the rest of the nation
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited May 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Eliminate the fingerprint bit, and it might be quite sensible. You get your photo taken at the self service checkout in many supermarkets - and a photo alone would be quite sufficient to eliminate 99.9% of fraud, wouldn't waste any time (unlike taking fingerprints), and would cost an order of magnitude less.
    Split the difference - photograph people's fingers, but with low resolution paper printing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Split the difference - photograph people's fingers, but with low resolution.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Perhaps the main bod at the polling station could just automatically let anybody vote who is wearing the tie of a decent school or regiment - and disenfranchise without recourse anybody who they think looks a bit shifty?

That would be cheap....
    Ex-public school pupils should get 2 votes. That would be the simplest solution.
    It was not that long ago, 80 years I think, that going to Oxford, Cambridge and a few other Universality got you two votes at a General Election.
    Great posts BigRich.
    Move over Stanley Unwin.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    A bit of an odd topic really - many probably supported Bercow's action, but it was a but shitty of him to not even consult the other people who are apparently supposed to be involved in such a decision (never mind that a request had not even come in).

The story is also odd - it claims he would be invited to speak in a room not within Bercow's control, then says it would be a challenge to Bercow's authority. If the room is not under his authority, then it cannot be a challenge to his control, it's just a loophole.

And as odious as Trump is personally, heck, he might be a Noble Prize Winner someday, best get in there early!
    He definitely won't get a Noble prize.
    I don't seriously think he will, and in any case only time can see if peace initiatives are worth the rhetoric, I just think it funny he might.
    In most of the sciences, you only get the prize a couple of decades after the discovery, because it takes that long for things to be tested to an acceptable level. It would be wise to take a similar approach with the Peace Prize.

So, if the Iran deal had helped denuclearise the Gulf, then that might have worked in Obama's favour (in 2030).

I'm guessing the problem is that scientists make their discoveries in their 20s and 30s, while politicians rarely make an impact until their 40s, with the 50s and 60s (and 70s in Trump's case) being increasingly common.
    There's also thar they want to encourage peace processes, which might last a long time from start to finish.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    FF43 said:

Without a doubt, the EU is less worried about pissing off the UK. It's now a non-member.

Edit. If it's between Ireland and the combined forces of France and Germany that might be different. The UK would have to make a powerful case to those countries to get them to support removing the Irish border backstop. No sign of it at the moment.
    And more edit. I suspect the Irish border backstop is quite attractive to the EU tactically. It's so clearly a non-starter that the UK will need to come up with something radical when it gets to the negotiations for the permanent deal after we Brexit and during the standstill period. Fudge doesn't work so well for them.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

That would be cheap....
    Ireland still has university constituencies in its Senate.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

That would be cheap....
    Great posts BigRich.
    Move over Stanley Unwin.
    I don't understand what you are getting at Geoffw, have I made another spelling mi-stack that I cant see?

for those that are interested here is a link about the universality constituency which where in places until 1950:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_constituency
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    surby said:

Pulpstar said:

@rcs_1000 Your solution seems good except
    a) It is a bit 'un British'
    b) It probably violates a whole bunch of GDPR.

Are you reasonably knowledgeable about GDPR ? If so, what is the correct way of sending mass emails or any emails ?
    Send the email to yourself and BCC everyone else. That way the only address people will see is your own.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    BigRich said:

geoffw said:

BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

That would be cheap....
    Great posts BigRich.
    Move over Stanley Unwin.
    I don't understand what you are getting at Geoffw, have I made another spelling mi-stack that I cant see?

for those that are interested here is a link about the universality constituency which where in places until 1950:

BigRich, I really like your posts. You make perfect sense, and never mind about your spelling. Stanley Unwin was my favourite broadcaster.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

BigRich said:

geoffw said:

BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

That would be cheap....
    Great posts BigRich.
    Move over Stanley Unwin.

BigRich, I really like your posts. You make perfect sense, and never mind about your spelling. Stanley Unwin was my favourite broadcaster.
    LOL, thanks for the clarification, I sometimes I'm not shore if if people are amused at my spelling or what I say.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

nunuone said:

SandraMc said:

Couldn't this insistence on ID hit older (and therefore possibly more likely to be voting Conservative) voters? My 90-year-old mother no longer has a passport or driving licence.

It will hit Leave voters harder then metropolitan Remain voters for sure.

Not sure about that. Evidence suggests ethnic minorities less likely to have valid ID.

Fairly confident the Tories would not be introducing this, in the face of opposition from other parties, if they thought it was going to reduce their own vote.
    I don't believe it will reduce anyone's vote. Unless personation is a real issue in which case it will reduce that - if it isn't as claimed then everyone will still get their votes.
    This seems very naive to me.
    It's definitely going to have some impact on legitimate voters if introduced nationally, especially the first time before people get used to it. 3.5m without a valid photo ID.
    Except for the umpteenth time the system doesn't require "a valid photo ID"
  • Options
    BigRich said:

geoffw said:

BigRich said:

surby said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

That would be cheap....
    Great posts BigRich.
    Move over Stanley Unwin.

That's amazing: six University constituencies in the UK until 1950.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Stabbed burglar rels continue to keep it classy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43992691

"Bricks and eggs were thrown towards the press by some who appeared to be part of the funeral group. Threats were also shouted towards them by some of the mourners.

One man, in his teens, was arrested on suspicion of assault."
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

These suggestions are a complete disgrace. If a wanted criminal cannot surreptitiously engage in the democratic process then we are in serious trouble.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Breaking news:

Thanos has won the 2018 Nobel peace prize. Marc Halfton, head of the two-person committee, proclaimed the work Thanos had done to bring peace to thousands of worlds.

"There have been far fewer conflicts since Thanos reunited the Infinity Stones," Halfton said, "and many of the problems that faced the galaxy, from pollution to resource scarcity, have been solved. We hope this award will reward him in his retirement."

Three other members of the committee were unavailable for comment, being windborne dust.
  • Options

Breaking news:

Thanos has won the 2018 Nobel peace prize. Marc Halfton, head of the two-person committee, proclaimed the work Thanos had done to bring peace to thousands of worlds.

"There have been far fewer conflicts since Thanos reunited the Infinity Stones," Halfton said, "and many of the problems that faced the galaxy, from pollution to resource scarcity, have been solved. We hope this award will reward him in his retirement."

Three other members of the committee were unavailable for comment, being windborne dust.

I misread that as Theranos.

• Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, but the vote taking place today is not evenly spread across the nation, A large proportion of today votes are in areas (London) that look like they have swung to Labor disproportionately compared to the rest of the nation
    The council seats up for grabs today are more or less the same ones that were contested 4 years ago, having said that, there was a Euro election on that day and a huge vote for UKIP which has distorted comparisons.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

nunuone said:

SandraMc said:

Couldn't this insistence on ID hit older (and therefore possibly more likely to be voting Conservative) voters? My 90-year-old mother no longer has a passport or driving licence.

Not sure about that. Evidence suggests ethnic minorities less likely to have valid ID.

Fairly confident the Tories would not be introducing this, in the face of opposition from other parties, if they thought it was going to reduce their own vote.
    I don't believe it will reduce anyone's vote. Unless personation is a real issue in which case it will reduce that - if it isn't as claimed then everyone will still get their votes.
    It's definitely going to have some impact on legitimate voters if introduced nationally, especially the first time before people get used to it. 3.5m without a valid photo ID.
    It seems unfair that you can only vote with the photographic ID or with a genetic sample such a saliva swab matching the relevant database. How many people will have these sorts of ID? There are going to be lots of unhappy people at the polls today.

• Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

nunuone said:

SandraMc said:

It seems unfair that you can only vote with the photographic ID or with a genetic sample such a saliva swab matching the relevant database. How many people will have these sorts of ID? There are going to be lots of unhappy people at the polls today.

That is not the case!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Breaking news:

I misread that as Theranos.

Don't give Elizabeth Holmes ideas ... ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    Really good idea. Postal votes could send selfies.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you reasonably knowledgeable about GDPR ? If so, what is the correct way of sending mass emails or any emails ?
    There are several changes in the GDPR legislation, but from what I can see the main culture shift is on proving consent: proof of opting in to marketing emails is what I'm going for.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    I like it, but in general elections you'd probably have hundreds not bringing their id in many constituencies. Having to deal with a close result in that case could be really difficult.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

The council seats up for grabs today are more or less the same ones that were contested 4 years ago, having said that, there was a Euro election on that day and a huge vote for UKIP which has distorted comparisons.
    Yes, I get that, but thats not the point I am making, in the last 4 years there have been swings in both directions in different parts of the contrary, largely theses are cancelling each other out, with a modest overall swing to Con, compared to 2014. but are the vote today (and in 2014) dose not cover all of the UK, it may contain more of the swing one way than the other and therefor not be as good a guide to the 'state of play' to some extent this can be mitigated by looking at the projections by people like Ralings and Thrasher (sorry probably spelt their names wrong) but these are again estamatsmats.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    I like it, but in general elections you'd probably have hundreds not bringing their id in many constituencies. Having to deal with a close result in that case could be really difficult.
    My main concern would be that my identical twin could cause problems for me. I am suspicious that he used my vote once when I was abroad and he lived close to my parents.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Well, in my part of West Hampstead (now held by Labour with only one - very good - Lib Dem councillor) the only parties which bothered to canvass were the Lib Dems (as usual) and the Tories (very professional and friendly). Labour did not bother at all. So they did not get - on that ground alone - my vote. If they can't be arsed to ask for it I'm not going to be arsed to give it to them.

I don't much care whether the Tories or the Lib Dems get more councillors, though I hope my Lib Dem neighbour wins, so long as they do get more councillors to stop Labour getting complacent. They made a bit of a mess of the rubbish collection and have increased council tax.

Still, it being London I expect Labour will do very well. Despite Corbyn being unfit for the position he holds, let alone anything else. Grr....

Still, the day has been warm and sunny and the Bank Holiday beckons along with my youngest's 20th (!) birthday. Where did the time go, eh?!
  • Options
    nunuone said:
    Not really. In most European countries they have universal healthcare, just not provided fully by the state.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    My main concern would be that my identical twin could cause problems for me. I am suspicious that he used my vote once when I was abroad and he lived close to my parents.
    I worry about the huge implications of this pilot; what of people who identify as non-voters? Will they be allowed to vote without their Non Voter ID?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    On topic there is a simple compromise, the council is required to send out polling cards a few weeks before elections which should be kept in a safe place. I know some of them go missing but voters should be encouraged to request a duplicate if it hasn't turned up by 7 days before polling day.
    People attending the polling stations with the cards, should not normally have to show ID unless the officials have reasonable grounds to suspect that the person may not be the same person as on the card.
    Everyone turning up without a card should be required to produce ID and proof of address, if they can do that, they should be allowed to vote.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

DeClare said:

BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, I get that, but thats not the point I am making, in the last 4 years there have been swings in both directions in different parts of the contrary, largely theses are cancelling each other out, with a modest overall swing to Con, compared to 2014. but are the vote today (and in 2014) dose not cover all of the UK, it may contain more of the swing one way than the other and therefor not be as good a guide to the 'state of play' to some extent this can be mitigated by looking at the projections by people like Ralings and Thrasher (sorry probably spelt their names wrong) but these are again estamatsmats.
    I think that's right: the elections today are - in terms of number of votes - very much Metropolitan, and quite weighted towards Remainia. I would expect, therefore, that Labour and the LibDems will modestly outpoll an unbiased sample.

All that being said, there are 175 or so UKIP seats up for grabs, so it's not inconceivable that all two and a half of the major parties could gains seats. I don't think Cons +80, Lab +80, LDs +15 is an unlikely outcome at all.

Fortunately, while you guys will need to stay up late, I'll have have my laptop out in the garden enjoying the California sun.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

DeClare said:

BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

I think that's right: the elections today are - in terms of number of votes - very much Metropolitan, and quite weighted towards Remainia. I would expect, therefore, that Labour and the LibDems will modestly outpoll an unbiased sample.

All that being said, there are 175 or so UKIP seats up for grabs, so it's not inconceivable that all two and a half of the major parties could gains seats. I don't think Cons +80, Lab +80, LDs +15 is an unlikely outcome at all.

Fortunately, while you guys will need to stay up late, I'll have have my laptop out in the garden enjoying the California sun.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    I worry about the huge implications of this pilot; what of people who identify as non-voters? Will they be allowed to vote without their Non Voter ID?
    I think we could also go the other way. Everyone gets a vote, but you can also officially sell trade that vote. If the politicians can't convince you to vote for them then perhaps you could sell it for a few quid. How could it get worse than Trump being elected?
  • Options

nunuone said:
    Not really. In most European countries they have universal healthcare, just not provided fully by the state.
    Thanks for making that point, I totally agree, The Dutch or German systems in particulate seem very efficient turning a simile cost to the UK in to a much better overall service. But overall I still think the Singapore solution is the best I am aware of.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Off topic - a great start to the Tour de Yorkshire. The first stage was won by a Yorkshireman (Harry Tanfield).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Was surprised to find out that the LDs haven't stood a candidate in Jericho and Osney for Oxford City Council. Given Layla Moran wants to keep her seat (and clearly wants to challenge to replace Vince), I would have thought they would have put in some effort.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    I think we could also go the other way. Everyone gets a vote, but you can also officially sell trade that vote. If the politicians can't convince you to vote for them then perhaps you could sell it for a few quid. How could it get worse than Trump being elected?
    Better still decrees the size and scope of government so much that its irreverent who is running it. and not voting becomes as rashinal as not voting in celebrity Big Brother :):):)
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    And a system that makes the case for a universal tax-funded system (not insurance), also for paying GPs a capitation fee and not a fee for every service. Such systems minimise the incentive to overtreat and overcharge.

But Americans have had a universal tax-funded system to their north for 56 years and mostly ignored what Canada does, so it might take another 25-50 years ...

Sanders is the only possible candidate I'd expect to be determined enough to bring that in. If Warren is now a more likely candidate, she might just tweak the existing system to be more like Switzerland's, i.e. private insurance policies plus government intervention, not a state-run system.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If you owned a business in 10 different council areas you used to get 10 votes in local elections (unless I'm mistaken).
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mortimer said:

surby said:

Pulpstar said:

There are several changes in the GDPR legislation, but from what I can see the main culture shift is on proving consent: proof of opting in to marketing emails is what I'm going for.
    Thanks. That is what I have gone for too. My monthly mailing will come down from about 38,000 to , if I am lucky, 1,000 to start with.

What about storing phone numbers ? Even ringing customers as we normally do ? I mean business surely just can't stop !

Data will be protected. But what is personal data as opposed to business data ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    An uncharacteristically inept interview by Matt Frei on Ch 4 News. Trumps morality and Christianity isn't of interest to anyone not even I suspect most Evangelical American voters. But what is of interest is the legality of what he's been up to and whether it could cost him his job or even worse
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    surby said:

Mortimer said:

surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks. That is what I have gone for too. My monthly mailing will come down from about 38,000 to , if I am lucky, 1,000 to start with.

What about storing phone numbers ? Even ringing customers as we normally do ? I mean business surely just can't stop !

A friend of mine runs a small business and he gets sick of cold callers. He especially dislikes those who ring up and say “we’ve looked at your website and we think we can make it much better.” They go quiet when he tells them he doesn’t have a website.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    BigRich said:

nunuone said:
    Thanks for making that point, I totally agree, The Dutch or German systems in particulate seem very efficient turning a simile cost to the UK in to a much better overall service. But overall I still think the Singapore solution is the best I am aware of.
    In fact, when I predicted a narrow win for Remain to a New Zealand friend, I qualified it with the certainty that that there would be another vote, which would be Leave by a large margin. The trigger for this would the formation of the European Health Service. Since everyone else in Europe has mixed provisioning, this would be part of the European system. So the sole provider aspect of the NHS would be torn down - cue massive vote for Leave from the NHS-Is-A-Religion section of the populace.
  • Options
    Have any of the politically informed people on here, seen any totals of the number of candidates that the party are standing, it would be interesting to see how the party organisations are doing compared to 2014, have the LibDems, got more atavists than before and so on. but googling does not seen to come up with any national total.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Roger said:

An uncharacteristically inept interview by Matt Frei on Ch 4 News. Trumps morality and Christianity isn't of interest to anyone not even I suspect most Evangelical American voters. But what is of interest is the legality of what he's been up to and whether it could cost him his job or even worse

Almost all the most effective US presidents were serial adulterers. It should be in the job description.
  • Options

BigRich said:

nunuone said:
    In fact, when I predicted a narrow win for Remain to a New Zealand friend, I qualified it with the certainty that that there would be another vote, which would be Leave by a large margin. The trigger for this would the formation of the European Health Service. Since everyone else in Europe has mixed provisioning, this would be part of the European system. So the sole provider aspect of the NHS would be torn down - cue massive vote for Leave from the NHS-Is-A-Religion section of the populace.
    LOL, ironicly a realisic posiblaty of moving over to an at least semi-market Eurapen health sytem is one of the things that would get me to change from leave to remain.

However, as you say the 'NHS is our religion, and any person who dares to suggests an improvement is a Heretic and must be beaned at the stack' legion would undoubtedly swing the over way in such bigger numbers to make my one vote meaningless in the avalanche.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Roger said:

Almost all the most effective US presidents were serial adulterers. It should be in the job description.
    One of the comic aspects of the Trumpoclypse will be the sudden restoration of certain views the minute he is gone.

Suddenly President's personal lives will be off limits, as will their personal finances. The FBI will suddenly be capable of error, rather than the Unbiased Judge Of Fitness For Office etc. The process for getting a wiretap warrant will suddenly become something the public should be allowed to know about...

Yes, Trump is... a total Trump. But did anyone else find the sight of Bob Woodward on TV saving that the actions of the FISA court, in a political case, should be kept secret a bit... strange?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    What`s wrong with showing id? You can`t go to a club without id, voting is far more important.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

nunuone said:
    LOL, ironicly a realisic posiblaty of moving over to an at least semi-market Eurapen health sytem is one of the things that would get me to change from leave to remain.

However, as you say the 'NHS is our religion, and any person who dares to suggests an improvement is a Heretic and must be beaned at the stack' legion would undoubtedly swing the over way in such bigger numbers to make my one vote meaningless in the avalanche.
    Having been in hospitals in several European countries, I would agree with you. The idea the French or German system of health care is any worse than the NHS, overall (both have their ups and downs vs NHS) is ridiculous.

That being said, the 100% general taxation funding, 100% state provision of the NHS are (one of) the third rail(s) of UK politics. Touch and die.

Blair had a bad moment when the European courts ruled that health tourism funded by the home health service was a right - in cases of long waits, people were entitled to get on the train to Paris, have an ingrown-toenail op there and get it paid for on the NHS etc.

The next step was forcing the NHS to pay when the hospital was private, in the UK. That got headed off by the Germans and the French - large scale health tourism would cause substantial issues, without being introduced gradually and planned.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

This enables:

Sounds reasonable.
    I'd go with that, but I'd make it so that after the election, all the people who'd sold their vote would have to declare it, as well as what they'd got for it.

(They wouldn't have to declare who they'd sold it to, however.)
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Roger said:

One of the comic aspects of the Trumpoclypse will be the sudden restoration of certain views the minute he is gone.

Suddenly President's personal lives will be off limits, as will their personal finances. The FBI will suddenly be capable of error, rather than the Unbiased Judge Of Fitness For Office etc. The process for getting a wiretap warrant will suddenly become something the public should be allowed to know about...

Yes, Trump is... a total Trump. But did anyone else find the sight of Bob Woodward on TV saving that the actions of the FISA court, in a political case, should be kept secret a bit... strange?
    I think the 'rules of politics' are being rewritten as we speek, in america with Donald Trump and in the UK with Br exit, but also across most of the developed would.

I found this talk by Dr Stev Davis, palatially insightful, and since first hearing I now see movements in contemporary politics rater differently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5OlkZ968xM
  • Options

surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Send the email to yourself and BCC everyone else. That way the only address people will see is your own.

That is how mass mailing is done anyway. But each recipient will still know who sent the email. We will still need prior consent.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Roger said:

Kennedy was a serial adulterer and he was useless.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

What`s wrong with showing id? You can`t go to a club without id, voting is far more important.

What about ego? Should you have to show that too?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Was surprised to find out that the LDs haven't stood a candidate in Jericho and Osney for Oxford City Council. Given Layla Moran wants to keep her seat (and clearly wants to challenge to replace Vince), I would have thought they would have put in some effort.

Sometimes it's impossible to find even a paper candidate. Sometimes someone cocks up the nomination papers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

surby said:

Mortimer said:

surby said:

Pulpstar said:

A friend of mine runs a small business and he gets sick of cold callers. He especially dislikes those who ring up and say “we’ve looked at your website and we think we can make it much better.” They go quiet when he tells them he doesn’t have a website.
    How many people are employed in this country to plough through phone books o_O ?!
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Voting is a right. Going to a club is entering private premises and certainly not a right.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Roger said:

In France it was. Macron, well.......
  • Options
    Roger is going to be very unhappy:

"Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski have been expelled from the US Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43994591
  • Options
    surby said:

SMukesh said:

Voting is a right. Going to a club is entering private premises and certainly not a right.
    The funny thing is that I am trying to think of a country where you can vote without ID. I can't, off hand. Can anyone come up with some non UK examples?

Voter ID in Northern Ireland has proved entirely un-problematic. Apart from a short lived squeak from the Shiners - short lived, because they couldn't produce physical* evidence of the people they claimed were being denied the vote.

*Some of the voters in question were technically physically existent, but suffering a metaphysical existence issue**
    **Being dead an' all.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. 1000, I agree with your solution.

But I'd rather educate Mr. Eagles about the excellence of Hannibal, although he appears impervious to learning.

Thank you Mr Dancer.

When I cull the PB ranks of all the posters who've failed to either:

a. Agree with my solution
    or
    b. Cogently explain why it's not a good solution

You and I will be the only posters left.
    Fingerprint ink is a pain to get off and stains the furniture?
  • Options
    surby said:

SMukesh said:

Leaving and re-entering the country, boarding a plane for which you have paid for a ticket, withdrawing money from your bank and 1001 other things are rights which can only be exercised on presentation of ID.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

brendan16 said:

Roger said:

I think the 'rules of politics' are being rewritten as we speek, in america with Donald Trump and in the UK with Br exit, but also across most of the developed would.

I found this talk by Dr Stev Davis, palatially insightful, and since first hearing I now see movements in contemporary politics rater differently:

I think you will find that during the first term of President E. Warren, for example, a whole raft of things will be back off limits. Rodeo clowns will once again being loosing their jobs for wearing the mask of the wrong president.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    Ishmael_Z said:

surby said:

SMukesh said:

Leaving and re-entering the country, boarding a plane for which you have paid for a ticket, withdrawing money from your bank and 1001 other things are rights which can only be exercised on presentation of ID.
    Not photo iD though.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

surby said:

SMukesh said:

The fixation on ID over postal votes seems odd to me. If I were a fraudster (disclaimer: I'm not), I wouldn't mess around with personation - which carries with it quite a few risks - but would see if I could buy a couple of hundred postal votes.
  • Options

BigRich said:

brendan16 said:

Roger said:

I think you will find that during the first term of President E. Warren, for example, a whole raft of things will be back off limits. Rodeo clowns will once again being loosing their jobs for wearing the mask of the wrong president.
    Don't worry, Hickenlooper is the next US President.

• Options
    surby said:

surby said:

Pulpstar said:

That is how mass mailing is done anyway. But each recipient will still know who sent the email. We will still need prior consent.
    Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes you will need prior consent. I am involved with a number of hobbies and do a fair bit of online shopping. Over he last few days I have received several dozen emails from organisations that I shop with or happily receive email newsletters from setting out their GDPR policy and asking me to confirm I still wish to receive the emails.
  • Options

Having been in hospitals in several European countries, I would agree with you. The idea the French or German system of health care is any worse than the NHS, overall (both have their ups and downs vs NHS) is ridiculous.

That being said, the 100% general taxation funding, 100% state provision of the NHS are (one of) the third rail(s) of UK politics. Touch and die.

Blair had a bad moment when the European courts ruled that health tourism funded by the home health service was a right - in cases of long waits, people were entitled to get on the train to Paris, have an ingrown-toenail op there and get it paid for on the NHS etc.

The next step was forcing the NHS to pay when the hospital was private, in the UK. That got headed off by the Germans and the French - large scale health tourism would cause substantial issues, without being introduced gradually and planned.

Agree entirely. I have benefitted from French, Dutch, Norwegian and Italian health services in my time and all were, at the sharp end, notably more efficient than our own NHS. Of course the basic numbers confirm this with most first world health services bar the US being better at clinical outcomes than the NHS.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited May 2018
    I think I'm in the only pub in Spain showing the wrong match. Just got a pint as well. :/

No one gives a fuck about which of Marseille or Salzburg win.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think I'm in the only pub in Spain showing the wrong match. Just got a pint as well. :/

Don't worry, you can follow the game on CrowdScores.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    I notice that of the seven candidates for Osborne's South Yorkshire folly six have an address in South Yorkshire.

While Dan Jarvis gives a London address.

https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/voting-and-elections/local-government-and-combined-authority-mayoral-elections-thursday-3-may-2018/
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    My predictions for London:

Labour +146
    Cons -90
    LD +1

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Don't worry, you can follow the game on CrowdScores.
    I actually am, the other half is not impressed. She already loathes football, and now we're watching the wrong match and I'm on my phone half the time. :D
  • Options

Labour +146
    Cons -90
    LD +1

What happened to the other 55 seats?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Anybody claimed the Election Day bingo yet with talk of brisk voting, nobody yet according to the tellers, hearing of a leaked poll showing etc etc efc
  • Options

BigRich said:

brendan16 said:

Roger said:

LOL, is that before or after President K West?
  • Options
    CynosargesCynosarges Posts: 44
    Mike,

I might believe that Labour's complaints about voter identification were honest, and not simple hypocrisy if LABOUR had not introduced voter identification into Northern Ireland over a decade ago. Where are the voices in Northern Ireland complaining about voter identification? There aren't any. Where is the Labour campaign about the iniquitous system of voter identification in Northern Ireland and pledging to reverse it? There isn't any campaign.

If you haven't been campaigning against voter identification in Northern Ireland, there is no moral case for campaigning against voter identification in England.
  • Options
    LibDem MP Stephen Lloyd thinks that people over 75, that's SEVENTY-FIVE, should be able to have interest-only mortgages:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/may/02/elderly-couple-face-losing-home-as-interest-only-loan-crisis-bites
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632

LibDem MP Stephen Lloyd thinks that people over 75, that's SEVENTY-FIVE, should be able to have interest-only mortgages:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/may/02/elderly-couple-face-losing-home-as-interest-only-loan-crisis-bites

Why not?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    on topic, I don't really have any great ideological aversion to ID cards and they would be useful for things like voting.

What I had a problem with was Labours national database that went with it. You could see from a mile away that it was a statist, information-gathering exercise that took it too far.
  • Options

I don't see why they shouldn't.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surby said:

SMukesh said:

Not photo iD though.
    This is all getting a bit circular. Also in an age where taking a good photograph of oneself or someone else is literally easier than signing one's name, I am not sure why photo yes/no is a dealbreaker about anything anyway.

I also think attacking personation rather than postal vote fraud shows the same grasp of priorities as attacking Hitler's government for failing to balance the budget over the economic cycle.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski have been expelled from the US Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Labour +146
    Cons -90
    LD +1

they will be UKIP, I suspect they UKIP will loos more that that, I think they are defending 175 or something like that, and I strongly suspect they will loss over half, perhaps even 90% of their seats, the Greens and the Rate Payers may pick some up.

I dont think the Liberian Party UK is running any candidates in the Locals, so no change there.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surby said:

SMukesh said:

Not photo iD though.
    This is all getting a bit circular. Also in an age where taking a good photograph of oneself or someone else is literally easier than signing one's name, I am not sure why photo yes/no is a dealbreaker about anything anyway.

I also think attacking personation rather than postal vote fraud shows the same grasp of priorities as attacking Hitler's government for failing to balance the budget over the economic cycle.
    If you're interested in the economics of Nazi Germany, then this is an excellent book.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited May 2018

They have already got an interest only mortgage. The issue is that Santander won't extend it. Given the couples options, it's hard to see why Santander won't extend the mortgage... they'll get their capital back eventually.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Why not?
    Is that a serious question ?

If so how do you think the capital is going to be repaid ?

Some over the age of 75 should already have had time to pay back two standard mortgages.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

Labour +146
    Cons -90
    LD +1

they will be UKIP, I suspect they UKIP will loos more that that, I think they are defending 175 or something like that, and I strongly suspect they will loss over half, perhaps even 90% of their seats, the Greens and the Rate Payers may pick some up.

I dont think the Liberian Party UK is running any candidates in the Locals, so no change there.
    Although only a few UKIP seats are in London.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

kjh said:

Why not?
    Is that a serious question ?

If so how do you think the capital is going to be repaid ?

Some over the age of 75 should already have had time to pay back two standard mortgages.
    The capital can be repaid from the proceeds of the house eventually - that's why it's called a mortgage!
This discussion has been closed.