Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amber Rudd resigns

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

Yorkcity said:

David Herdson said on Saturdays thread Amber Rudd was safe for now.

Richard Nabavi said it'd be all forgotten in a few days...
    And now she will be.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nicky Morgan's name is being mentioned in various places.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

You have to feel sorry for all those sent out to defend her on this mornings political shows.

Jo Johnson is the most boring politician I have seen in a long while.

When he was on Preston , they could not wait to get him off air.

Apparently married to the journo at Guardian who has broken this story and persuaded for months, says OrderOrder.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    AndyJS said:

May hates her, so it could be the poisoned chalice!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I bet she puts Gavin Williamson in as the replacement.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

I’m surprised that Rudd’s gone.
    I think she’s a bungler, but she seemed one of the better talents in Cabinet. I didn’t detect any antipathy toward her from the public - pity if anything. It feels like May has hung her out to dry.

Yet May must realise she is now very exposed. Apart from anything else, Rudd was a loyal counterweight to Johnson et al.

Bring back Damian Green?

I don't think May has hung her out to dry so much as stood back while she too the blame for May's policy decisions. But the hammer blow seems to have been self-inflicted by Rudd in the end.

Will Rudd's loyalty to May survive intact?
    Pah ,why on earth should it.
    She went above and beyond during GE17 for May and HS been repaid with an effective sacking. Definitely another pro EU rebel, and I can't blame her.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think she’s a bungler, but she seemed one of the better talents in Cabinet. I didn’t detect any antipathy toward her from the public - pity if anything. It feels like May has hung her out to dry.

Yet May must realise she is now very exposed. Apart from anything else, Rudd was a loyal counterweight to Johnson et al.

Bring back Damian Green?

I don't think May has hung her out to dry so much as stood back while she too the blame for May's policy decisions. But the hammer blow seems to have been self-inflicted by Rudd in the end.

She went above and beyond during GE17 for May and HS been repaid with an effective sacking. Definitely another pro EU rebel, and I can't blame her.
    Plus, she has probably lost her seat now in 2022.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

I didn't know it was as bad as that between them.
  • Options
    Just a thought if these new hostile regulations have caught out the Windrush generation just how many illegal immigrants must it be catching
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Is it possible that the whole plot has been engineered by the former chief whip????
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I hope not
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Well, that does take one Remainer off the back benches.

Which is why she should say no, at this crucial time.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That might be a good move politically
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

I didn't know it was as bad as that between them.
    Ever since the leather trousers incident!

I reckon on someone boring.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Yorkcity said:

You have to feel sorry for all those sent out to defend her on this mornings political shows.

Speaking of Jo Johnson, just found his wife is Amelia Gentleman - the lady who broke the story re Windrush!
  • Options
    I did joke about it being Williamson, but surely a promotion 5 days or w/e into his ministerial job would surely be the end of May very very quickly
  • Options
    Justine Greening?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/990710698828234754

No mention of Yvette, who of course is basically a Tory.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The timing of Rudd's resignation seems a bit odd -- too late for the first editions but before any scoop a newspaper might be holding back for the late editions. Was she forced out by a new revelation (so new we've not yet seen it)?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,704
    Pulpstar said:

Bring back Damian Green?

Be interesting to see how disruptive she becomes though. Maybe she'll have an added sense of freedom since she'll probably lose her seat at the next GE.

• Options

Yorkcity said:

Speaking of Jo Johnson, just found his wife is Amelia Gentleman - the lady who broke the story re Windrush!
    So who could possibly have been leaking her the information? loose talk sinks ministers...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

"Still, unlike Morgan, Soubry, Grieve, she will know exactly where the bodies are buried on internal Cabinet Brexit discussions about customs unions and Northern Ireland and more. That could be very dangerous indeed..." https://t.co/s8X6BD0DUh

— Sarah Rosemary (@SarahRosemary3) 29 April 2018
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Well obviously people are going to take what that numpty seriously.... FFS
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    May will need to replace Rudd with someone she trusts. Step forward Chris Grayling...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

For the love of god, no.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Yes also mentioned by RB down thread .Wheels within wheels.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited April 2018
    AndyJS said:

Was this in fact a sacking rather than resignation in all but name?

It might be notable that all the leaked correspondence involved Number 10. That sort of thing was precisely what Fiona Hill used to do.
  • Options
    I took Hunt on BF as next Home Sec, at 5.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Rudd may have gone over the potential misleading of Parliament but for the average voter the fact the government has targets for deporting illegal migrants is probably a good thing in their view

But I doubt the public are happy about deporting legal ones. Even xenophobic Brexiteers
    The target was for illegal immigrants
    But the consequences were that legal residents were excluded. It is completely unacceptable and the buck for that stops with May.
  • Options

The timing of Rudd's resignation seems a bit odd -- too late for the first editions but before any scoop a newspaper might be holding back for the late editions. Was she forced out by a new revelation (so new we've not yet seen it)?

Doubt it - probably had had enough and resigned
  • Options

May will need to replace Rudd with someone she trusts. Step forward Chris Grayling...

Oh FFS.

There will definitely be regional targets under Grayling. Probably involving most of the adult population.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yorkcity said:

So who could possibly have been leaking her the information? loose talk sinks ministers...
    Hmmm. That’s very good point. It’s not like there’s anyone in the Johnson family who wants to be PM after all....
  • Options

1000s of momentum people do.
  • Options

Hunt is 6/1 with Ladbrokes. Javid is now Evens -- in from 2/1 and 4/1 in the last hour or so.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Rudd may have gone over the potential misleading of Parliament but for the average voter the fact the government has targets for deporting illegal migrants is probably a good thing in their view

But I doubt the public are happy about deporting legal ones. Even xenophobic Brexiteers
    The target was for illegal immigrants
    But the consequences were that legal residents were excluded. It is completely unacceptable and the buck for that stops with May.
    Were they? As far as I can see the only reason for the resignation was not being clear enough that there were targets for deportation of illegal migrants not because there were mass deportations of legal migrants
  • Options
    Javid's name is being touted as a replacement and I can see the advantages but frankly, it's very much a lottery and while I can see why it wouldn't be some candidates, there are plenty of fairly anonymous cabinet ministers it could be.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Just a thought if these new hostile regulations have caught out the Windrush generation just how many illegal immigrants must it be catching

it is much harder to catch illegal immigrants since they try to have as less contact with government agencies as possible. Much easier to target people with documents like the windrush generation. Easy targets.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    According to Sky News Amber Rudd was "aristocracy coordinator" on the Four Weddings and a Funeral film.
  • Options
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

1000s of momentum people do.
    Well that sums up Momentum for you.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Why would anyone want to be HS? It strikes me as the mother of all hospital passes at the best of times. But now, well, you’d be forever sorting out the messes Mrs May left behind.......
  • Options
    nunuone said:

it is much harder to catch illegal immigrants since they try to have as less contact with government agencies as possible. Much easier to target people with documents like the windrush generation. Easy targets.
    They were not targets
  • Options

Hunt is 6/1 with Ladbrokes. Javid is now Evens -- in from 2/1 and 4/1 in the last hour or so.
    That's just cos that great TSE suggested him on here.
  • Options
    I've looked into my crystal ball and make the following prediction.

The Windrush scandal will ultimately cost Theresa May her job.

Coupled with the customs union/BINO on free movement stuff not even net gains on Thursday will save her.
  • Options

Anna Soubry welcomes her friemd Amber to the back benches

Brexit in BINO beckons

Rest in RIP Brexit....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Rudd has paid the price for being inept at politics. She should have got ahead of the Windrush issue weeks ago, made a satement to the House giving - unasked - the clarifications dragged out of her last week. And she would have looked a hero.

If she has any sense - and any interest in staying in frontline politics - she will go back to her constituency and start working it like a LibDem would have worked it. (She should ask Kevin Foster for some tips...)
  • Options

Coupled with the customs union/BINO on free movement stuff not even net gains on Thursday will save her.

Windrush wont - Brexit who knows
  • Options

That's just cos that great TSE suggested him on here.
    It might well be tbh
  • Options

The polling shows Windrush has made zero difference at all, Labour voters blame May, Tory voters blame the last Labour government.

Freedom of movement is still ending and the customs union will only be something we stay in if Parliament votes for it
  • Options

When do you think she’ll go? Not even I see Windrush costing May her job, though at this stage I wouldn’t be sorry to see her go.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    edited April 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Why would anyone want to be HS? It strikes me as the mother of all hospital passes at the best of times. But now, well, you’d be forever sorting out the messes Mrs May left behind.......

Which would make it an easier job than hitherto, when you were expected to carry on the May policies which created the mess. Her replacement will have a certain independence of action.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Hope not too many were on at 1/2 for her staying.
  • Options

Plausible.
  • Options

Rudd has paid the price for being inept at politics. She should have got ahead of the Windrush issue weeks ago, made a satement to the House giving - unasked - the clarifications dragged out of her last week. And she would have looked a hero.

If she has any sense - and any interest in staying in frontline politics - she will go back to her constituency and start working it like a LibDem would have worked it. (She should ask Kevin Foster for some tips...)

Agreed
  • Options

When do you think she’ll go? Not even I see Windrush costing May her job, though at this stage I wouldn’t be sorry to see her go.
    She'll have been forced out by July, either by a VONC or losing a major vote in the Commons.
  • Options
    But not a fourth, as she'll be gone at the next GE.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

June election anyone? or October?
  • Options
    It will be great to see an ethnic minority as a Home Secretary instead of the usual roles such as Equalities minister for a change.

Of course he is more then qualified more importantly.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Foxy said:

Don't tell Brenda from Bristol!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Yorkcity said:

David Herdson said on Saturdays thread Amber Rudd was safe for now.

“For now” = 36 hours...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Foxy said:

No, nada, absolutely not. After these local elections and 2 elections last year (3 in my case) I am all electioned out and May will be far too busy with Brexit talks anyway. I want an elections free summer
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cannot see June - or indeed October - the conservatives will not open the door to Corbyn
  • Options

Backing people to stay in post pays long term. But it's clear that Rudd had some powerful big breasts and their journalist relations set against her in hindsight. Specifically Boris, and I think as the story developed probably May herself. Gove perhaps too
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

May has the most incredible survival instinct. I wouldn't bet against her.
  • Options

She'll have been forced out by July, either by a VONC or losing a major vote in the Commons.
    Boris is looking a better bet to be PM by the day.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

It will be great to see an ethnic minority as a Home Secretary instead of the usual roles such as Equalities minister for a change.

Of course he is more then qualified more importantly.

I would be comtent to see Javid as Home Secretary
  • Options

The issue with Windrush is not just the policy but the extent to which May looks to have thrown Rudd under a bus. That kind of disloyalty - after the way Rudd served her in the general election - will not go down well.

I've never thought that May could serve to 2022. For the first time, I can see her going this year now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Backing people to stay in post pays long term. But it's clear that Rudd had some powerful big breasts and their journalist relations set against her in hindsight. Specifically Boris, and I think as the story developed probably May herself. Gove perhaps too
    Er bit of a typo in there! :lol:
  • Options

A modicum of competence is also required....
    No guarantee of that with any of the alternatives, but with Grayling there’s no doubt.
  • Options
    Difficult to say whether this resignation will help or hinder the Tories on Thursday.
  • Options

She is running out of time trying to square the Brexit circle.
  • Options
    I don't suppose it's too soon for Damian Green to be offered a job back?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Already posted — Osborne's tweet.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854
    D'you know, I am absolutely rubbish at reflex betting. Give me 6-12 months so I can do the research and proper maths and I'm bloody marvellous (see passim). But give me just 48hrs and a kneejerk reaction and I'll get it wrong every time. I've been working this weekend (I know: surprise) and consequently could not place a bet on Rudd surviving. And it's only that that prevented me from losing. Damn, damn, damn.

Still, well done @TheScreamingEagles.
  • Options

The issue with Windrush is not just the policy but the extent to which May looks to have thrown Rudd under a bus. That kind of disloyalty - after the way Rudd served her in the general election - will not go down well.

I've never thought that May could serve to 2022. For the first time, I can see her going this year now.
    It was Rudd who decided to resign, May did not sack her and was indeed reluctant to see her go
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Difficult to say whether this resignation will help or hinder the Tories on Thursday.

It's bound to hinder not help but to what extent?
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Brexit in BINO beckons

Rest in RIP Brexit....
    PIN number
  • Options
    viewcode said:

D'you know, I am absolutely rubbish at reflex betting. Give me 6-12 months so I can do the research and proper maths and I'm bloody marvellous (see passim). But give me just 48hrs and a kneejerk reaction and I'll get it wrong every time. I've been working this weekend (I know: surprise) and consequently could not place a bet on Rudd surviving. And it's only that that prevented me from losing. Damn, damn, damn.

Still, well done @TheScreamingEagles.

Err not being able to place a losing bet is a.. good thing !
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Boris v Corbyn would at least be fun but I think May will stay at least until the dull tedium of Brexit negotiations are complete
  • Options

Last summer I had a £100 bet with JohnO that Theresa May would be gone/resigned/lost a VONC by the 2018 summer recess.

For a while I've considered that a lost bet, but now I can see how I win it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lib Dems should do well - electors likely to say a plague on both your houses
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nunuone said:

Brexit in BINO beckons

Rest in RIP Brexit....
    PIN number
    River Avon
  • Options

Bit more difficult to keep your head down as she did when HS, if you’re Prime Minister. And with the Brexit deadline, she can no longer exercise her penchant for prevarication.
    I’m inclined to agree with TSE.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cannot see June - or indeed October - the conservatives will not open the door to Corbyn
    If she agrees to a customs union and some free movement arrangement.Many will take their chances.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It was Rudd who decided to resign, May did not sack her and was indeed reluctant to see her go
    That's the official line, yes. But the way the leaks kept emerging - that has the smell of No 10 about it. I didn't have chance to comment on the last thread but TSE called that clue right.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

AndyJS said:

Lib Dems should do well - electors likely to say a plague on both your houses
    LDs got 13% in 2014 when the wards on Thursday were last up, they are now polling 7 or 8%, where the 17% who voted UKIP goes will be crucial
  • Options
    Once more the day draws to an end

Politics is exhausting at times, especially for us oldies

Have a great nights rest everyone

Good night
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Nigelb said:

Bit more difficult to keep your head down as she did when HS, if you’re Prime Minister. And with the Brexit deadline, she can no longer exercise her penchant for prevarication.
    I’m inclined to agree with TSE.
    She has one bold move on Brexit left in her. She somehow needs to tie Johnson or Gove or both into a second referendum plan.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Boris v Corbyn would at least be fun but I think May will stay at least until the dull tedium of Brexit negotiations are complete
    Just put another couple of quid on Davidson.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You're having a laugh right ?

May's left her out hanging to dry, used her as a human shield for policies enacted when she was at HO and finally chucked her under the bus when it all got too hot to handle
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Well George, you could always come back - and make it a lot less human.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Just put another couple of quid on Davidson.
    Davidson would get my vote if she ever decided to try for Westminster
  • Options

viewcode said:

nunuone said:

Brexit in BINO beckons

Rest in RIP Brexit....
    PIN number
    River Avon
    HIV virus
  • Options

I think the same. While I dont particularly like Rudds politics, I do like her loyalty and devotion to duty. She stood in well at the debates at no notice. I do not like to see anyone lose her job.

The Windrush focus will now move on to May, and can she survive it? I think it will be quite damaging to her.
This discussion has been closed.