Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Has Clegg told Cameron when he’ll stand down?

SystemSystem Posts: 12,024
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Has Clegg told Cameron when he’ll stand down?

Back in the days of the USSR, Western experts attempted to interpret what was going on in the Soviet hierarchy by watching for all sorts of indirect signs, from who sat or stood where at state and party events, to how people were referred to in Pravda.  It was an indirect and not particularly reliable art but you make the best use of what you have.  To which end, let’s go in for a little Kre…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Firsr!
  • Clegg will fight the GE - no, he's probably not going to get back the Labour votes leant to him in 2010, but then neither would anyone else. After all, Ed is about to significantly raise his game, or so we keep being reassured.....
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Any reason why it could not be the other way around?
  • I think Clegg making a pre-planned jump is plausible, but I don't think you need it to explain the ever-receding reshuffle.

A reshuffle will seriously nark off everybody who gets sacked, and everybody who hopes to get promoted but doesn't. These people may then be tempted to try to remedy what they'll see as Cameron's incompetent personnel choices by signing a letter calling for a no-confidence vote, in the hope that they'll have better luck with a new leader who properly appreciates their talents. It follows that any event that could provide a hook for a leadership challenge, like losing a vote for a war, encourages Cameron to put off the reshuffle.
  • OT. Just seen from the BBC that Tony Benn is in hospital. He may be on the other side of the political spectrum from my position but I have developed a huge admiration for him over the last couple of decades. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I like to apply Occam's Razor in situations like this.

Far likely all the speculation was the result of one or other of the following factors: ambitious backbenchers wanting promotion / bored political editors needing a new story / worried newspaper editors with pages to fill / mischevious Labour hacks trying to stir up a bit of trouble for the Tories
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Why would Clegg stand down ? He could go on until 2030..
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Herders wrote :

"Has Clegg told Cameron when he'll stand down?"

May 2020 ?!?

Firsr!

Someone had a good Friday night .... Hic ....

• IcarusIcarus Posts: 977
    JackW said:

@Herders wrote :

"Has Clegg told Cameron when he'll stand down?"

May 2020 ?!?

No, No, No, not May, please not May.

• While many have an issue with Cameron one thing that cannot be denied is that he said he did not favour frequent reshuffles as it was just a merry go round with ministers never getting on top of their brief and civil servants then effectively being in charge of policy. It's one promise he's stuck to and I think government is probably run better because of it.

A big contrast to the last government where reshuffles happened almost as often as mobile phones were being thrown...

I suspect the reshuffle is being held until the LDs leave the coalition and government; July 2014? That leaves a chance to get the election cabinet in place and on top of their brief over the summer, get rid of the dead wood and then make speeches in the autumn

I suspect the reshuffle is being held until the LDs leave the coalition and government; July 2014?

Why on earth would the Lib Dems leave government before the end of the term? If the economy is coming right then we deserve our share of the credit for providing an effective recovery.

• JackW said:

Firsr!

Someone had a good Friday night .... Hic ....

I resemble that remark!

• Boo hoo......

"Rachel Reeves tells of humiliation at 'boring, snoring' Newsnight jibe
    Reeves gives first interview since Twitter gaffe by Ian Katz, saying 'he should just have some common decency'

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/14/rachel-reeves-boring-newsnight

Not exactly "rising above it" or "laughing it off".... C
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,299
    edited September 2013
    Clegg acting like Nipper the HMV dog.

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/consultations/plasticbags_en.htm

What a surprise Lib Dems follow their leader like good Euro lap dogs. Plastic bag levy one of Brussels great ideas. And the EU is a non issue on opinion polls.
  • dr_spyn said:

What a surprise Lib Dems follow their leader like good Euro lap dogs. Plastic bag levy one of Brussels great ideas. And the EU is a non issue on opinion polls.

The plastic bag levy is good policy - Guernsey has had it for several years and its helped reduce landfill. Some UK retailers (Waitrose, M&S) already charge. Expect a lot of synthetic outrage - but if it helps differentiate between the coalition partners (will require a degree of finesse to avoid talk of "splits") fair enough. I expect Labour will oppose it/do it later/now's not the time/ask for a judge led enquiry.....

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    Interesting idea. Why do we assume that Clegg is somehow intrinsically bound to the coalition in a way that Cameron isn't.

Surely they're in exactly the same boat, there is either life after coalition for both of them or neither.

Actually I'm not sure the LDs want to move on as much as the Tories. They seem quite happy where they are.
  • dr_spyn said:

That's a consultation from two years ago that doesn't seem to have resulted in anything specific. The Commission doesn't seem to be very interested in passing a ban, because they're understandably more worried about economic growth right now. Meanwhile there's some suggestion that the Commission may squish the existing laws in Italy (and presumably Wales?) on free trade grounds.

http://www.europeanvoice.com/article/imported/commission-holding-back-ban-on-plastic-carrier-bags/76589.aspx
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,299
    @CarlottaVance - a bit more openness about the role of Brussels in UK domestic law making would help.

By all means consider the policy, but can't the LDs do something which isn't born in Brussels for once. I don't see many measures which reduce the power of the state coming from the LDs.
  • Care system failure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24085468

Leaving aside valid or invalid cost figures for keeping kids in care (see yesterday), surely the important story is that 22 young people can go missing from the system in NI alone?
  • Boo hoo......

Hgh Hgh! Boring woman reacts to being called boring, in a boring way. Nation sniggers.
  • dr_spyn said:

@CarlottaVance - a bit more openness about the role of Brussels in UK domestic law making would help.

By all means consider the policy, but can't the LDs do something which isn't born in Brussels for once. I don't see many measures which reduce the power of the state coming from the LDs.

Guernsey is not in the EU and introduced the plastic bag fee 5 years ago, 3 years before the EU consultation paper.

There are plenty of areas to get upset at EU influence in UK domestic policy.

This is not one of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/guernsey/7278879.stm
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Fat Steve..That worked a treat for the Robot, it gave her another chance to demonstrate how amazingly boring she is..
  • dr_spyn said:

It wasn't born in Brussels. Brussels are way behind some of the member states on this one. If anything they're getting in the way.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,456
    EiT is right that although the *prospect* of a reshuffle is a good way to maintain Government discipline, actually having one does the opposite for obvious reasons.

I tend to believe Clegg when he says he doesn't intend the LibDems to leave government before the election (let's call it the Lexit option). A new leader might do it, but there are no signs of a serious insurrection, so it requires Clegg to go voluntarily. We should get a clearer picture this week of whether that's credible - he's had IMO a somewhat detached air lately, which he may or may not confirm in his speech.
    edited September 2013
    O/T Ban.-Ki Moon, top honcho at the UN, thinks Assad is not a very nice man
    According to the Telegraph.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Consternation on Merseyside

@IsabelOakeshott: I can't wait for @DPMcBride memoir. Tantalising teasers p25 Mail. Alistair Darling described as "absolutely clueless". Attack dog returns

@robindbrant: McBride building up for an interesting contribution to lab's gathering in Brighton this year. http://t.co/CJLONZ90Gc
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,723
    From thread
    `Clegg’s going at the right time could help both parties and both leaders, if managed well`

How does Clegg going help himself?

Does Herdson means he has more time to relax?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Serious Haka from the All Blacks. This is gonna be some game against the Saffers.
  • Morning Dave, Extending your deep speculation, my personal theory is that the 30 pieces of silver Clegg was promised was EU Commissioner. Now whether either (the other) Dave and Nick would be so brazen as to execute this now is another matter. But NC quitting soonish would leave him free for 2014 EU Commissioner reshuffle, (partly) remove the stench of Liberal Democrat betrayal and as you say give the coalition a second wind.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Gilmore, welcome to pb.com. Whilst I can see that happening, I think Cameron would be bloody stupid to do that. He'd remove an electoral cost from a rival party in the most pain-free way possible. If the Lib Dems want to axe Clegg, let them do it themselves.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I like it! The kremlinology of positions. Does Herdson infer that Cleg leaning over backwards and Cammo's summersaults mean anything besides the fact that they're both crap?
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I'm for the bag levy. Though I'd prefer them to do something about packaging. Why do 5 mini cherry bakewells need 4 layers of packaging? And don't get me on to crisp bags being 3x too big for the contents.

Overgenerous crisp bags. These are the things that matter to the electorate, Nick!
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2013

dr_spyn said:

It wasn't born in Brussels. Brussels are way behind some of the member states on this one. If anything they're getting in the way.
    Morning All.

I have no idea if ‘Brussels’ is getting in the way, but I certainly agree this proposal is years behind some member states. Charging for plastic bags, as well as plastic bottles etc, was common practice in Germany twenty years ago when I was based there. – Most supermarkets at the time sold cotton shopping bags that were cheap, tough and bio degradable. – We would never dream of leaving the house for the weekend shop, without a selection of these carrier bags. -The UK has come a long way in ‘recycling’ over the past decade, but still has a lot of catching up to do.
    This is just one such proposal – and I agree with it.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

Why is the 5p carrier bag thing delayed beyond the election, is it seriously going to lose any votes?
    It doesn't need legislation
    Making it a central announcement then delaying it is just daft.

I've got no problem about the introduction of such a charge; it's something I've been wanting for some time, so I'm happy. We use bags-for-life when we go shopping, and most of the plastic bags we get are from service stations when out driving, or from shops when I'm out walking. Solution: put a couple of plastic bags in my car and my rucksack.

One thing I'd love to see introduced is the death penalty for dog-owners who place their pet's sh*t into a plastic bag, and then leave that plastic bag on the ground to fester. The seawall at Teignmouth was lined with them a few years ago, and occasionally you see piles of the cr*p-bags on footpaths leading into villages. It's as if they don't want to sully their home village with their pet's feculence.

Fu**ers.

I guess the delay's probably just coalition politics. I'd prefer it was introduced earlier, but at least they're heading in (for me) the right direction.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Lib Dem poll suggests 75% of voters reject party
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24081192

Actually current polls say that up to 92% of voters reject the L/Dems. If they got 25% of the vote they would be laughing.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277
    edited September 2013
    If we're going for Kremlinology, Nick Clegg as Stalin and he's going to be succeeded by Nikita Khrushchev/Tim Farron who will apologise and repudiate Stalinism/Cleggism?
  • Mr. Jessop, we have similar issues here, except that the bags are often left to hang on branches (happily they're relatively few in number, but it's still vile).

I can see why a lazy or forgetful person might not bag their dog's leavings, and I can see how someone more prepared/civil would... but who the hell thinks "I shall bag this, and then leave it to very, very slowly degrade over years and decades."?
  • If David is right, this may explain why apart from Lord Oakeshott and to some extent Sarah Teather, no other Lib Dem MPs and Lords haven't been saying to Nick Clegg, in the name of God, go.
  • Mr. Jessop, we have similar issues here, except that the bags are often left to hang on branches (happily they're relatively few in number, but it's still vile).

I can see why a lazy or forgetful person might not bag their dog's leavings, and I can see how someone more prepared/civil would... but who the hell thinks "I shall bag this, and then leave it to very, very slowly degrade over years and decades."?

I can understand the occasional one being dropped, but you actually get piles of them on the ground. As you say, why bag it and then leave it?

I've also seen them hanging from trees. And, perversely, I once saw such a feccu-bag hanging from a tree in Hampshire alongside a pair of blue frilly panties.

My mind boggled.
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    tim said:

Carola said:

I'm for the bag levy. Though I'd prefer them to do something about packaging. Why do 5 mini cherry bakewells need 4 layers of packaging? And don't get me on to crisp bags being 3x too big for the contents.

Overgenerous crisp bags. These are the things that matter to the electorate, Nick!

That's what happens when you move south, if you'd stayed up north you wouldn't have any need for mini cherry bakewells.

Everyone eats them all in one go anyway.
    And don't mention mini scotch eggs
    Actually I don't bother any more. 'Coeliac pastry' is as disappointing as opening a crisp bag to play 'hunt the crisp'. In fact I have to avoid most crisps now as they're often coated with gluten gunk. Attending 'nibbles' gatherings can be a minefield.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897

dr_spyn said:

The plastic bag levy is good policy - Guernsey has had it for several years and its helped reduce landfill. Some UK retailers (Waitrose, M&S) already charge. Expect a lot of synthetic outrage - but if it helps differentiate between the coalition partners (will require a degree of finesse to avoid talk of "splits") fair enough. I expect Labour will oppose it/do it later/now's not the time/ask for a judge led enquiry.....

They should have made it 10p though and it would have been even better. Would also be good to have similar on fast food bags/containers and tins/bottles etc. Woul dhelp to fund picking up all the crap. Also tax dogs and cats for similar.

Boo hoo......

Reeves gives first interview since Twitter gaffe by Ian Katz, saying 'he should just have some common decency'

You would have thought a better response would be along the lines:

"I'm sorry he finds it boring, but I believe in telling the British people the truth about the state that the economy is in... [insert latest Labour lie]

Charles said:

Boo hoo......

"I'm sorry he finds it boring, but I believe in telling the British people the truth about the state that the economy is in... [insert latest Labour lie]

edit... oops, meant "Labour line". Of course. You all knew that, right?
  • SMukesh said:

From thread
    `Clegg’s going at the right time could help both parties and both leaders, if managed well`

It means the Lib Dems are likely to perform much better at the 2015 elections (IMO) if they've regained an air of equidistance from both parties. They can still claim credit for those bits of government policy they like from 2010 to (say) Jan 2015, but a new leader wouldn't be toxic to the LD-Lab switchers in the way Clegg is. Clegg staying LD leader would see them lose more seats at a single election than any since the 1920s.

In addition, it would assure him of a life and a role after 2015 in a way that fighting the GE very probably wouldn't. Besides, what's his future if he does stay as leader? Isn't the probability that he'll go afterwards one way or the other anyhow?
  • Morning Dave, Extending your deep speculation, my personal theory is that the 30 pieces of silver Clegg was promised was EU Commissioner. Now whether either (the other) Dave and Nick would be so brazen as to execute this now is another matter. But NC quitting soonish would leave him free for 2014 EU Commissioner reshuffle, (partly) remove the stench of Liberal Democrat betrayal and as you say give the coalition a second wind.

Morning, Bill. I thought early on the coalition that Clegg would be the next UK EU commissioner as the fit is indeed good - but I can't see it now. It'll be a Tory. The Con backbenchers and the EP election results will see to that. There are other international organisation jobs that come up though.
  • tim said:

tim said:

Why is the 5p carrier bag thing delayed beyond the election, is it seriously going to lose any votes?
    It doesn't need legislation
    Making it a central announcement then delaying it is just daft.

I've got no problem about the introduction of such a charge; it's something I've been wanting for some time, so I'm happy. We use bags-for-life when we go shopping, and most of the plastic bags we get are from service stations when out driving, or from shops when I'm out walking. Solution: put a couple of plastic bags in my car and my rucksack.

One thing I'd love to see introduced is the death penalty for dog-owners who place their pet's sh*t into a plastic bag, and then leave that plastic bag on the ground to fester. The seawall at Teignmouth was lined with them a few years ago, and occasionally you see piles of the cr*p-bags on footpaths leading into villages. It's as if they don't want to sully their home village with their pet's feculence.

Fu**ers.

I guess the delay's probably just coalition politics. I'd prefer it was introduced earlier, but at least they're heading in (for me) the right direction.

Hear hear.

But you know that pet owners sense of entitlement and grievance, plus their capacity for whining and victimhood is only rivalled by speeding motorists.
    The noise as you led them to the scaffold would be unbearable, have you ever met one who's prepared to accept it is their fault.

"But there's no red bin"
    "Yes there is there's one over there"
    "But it's too far away"

One dog owner one bullet (except guide dog owners)
    One kitten one bullet.

PS, why do morons think carrier bags are free, they're factored into the cost of their shop, and people like you subsidise them.
    As subsidies go, it's hardly onerous.

I'm actually seeing more and more people in my local supermarket (Morrisons) carrying bags-for-life of various descriptions. If I go further afield to Waitrose, they're very common.

I really don't see what people's problem with this legislation is.

As an aside, when I was a kid the split plastic-carrier bag was a common occurrence. And once a split started, it would spread until the bag was ripped asunder. Nowadays they hardly ever seem to rip, and if they do it doesn't seem to spread. I wonder if they've changed the design or type of plastic used?
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,559
    Second thread in 24hours which is way off about the Lib Dems. Icarus has called this right. The Lib Dems current support is those who can at least tolerate coalition and believe the party have been responsible for staying the course. The campaign messages are all 'winning inGo erent' and what's been achieved or at least blocked. So welching from the coalition makes no sense; LDs still hated by the people who've deserted them already, and the people who've stuck with them then have a reason to go. The LibDems have made their bed and have to lie in it. In my view the only time leaving was an option was the tuition fees vote. A hostile leadership challenge to Clegg is.the only way I can see this changing, and I can't see anyone doing it this side of the election.
  • tpfkar said:

Second thread in 24hours which is way off about the Lib Dems. Icarus has called this right. The Lib Dems current support is those who can at least tolerate coalition and believe the party have been responsible for staying the course. The campaign messages are all 'winning inGo erent' and what's been achieved or at least blocked. So welching from the coalition makes no sense; LDs still hated by the people who've deserted them already, and the people who've stuck with them then have a reason to go. The LibDems have made their bed and have to lie in it. In my view the only time leaving was an option was the tuition fees vote. A hostile leadership challenge to Clegg is.the only way I can see this changing, and I can't see anyone doing it this side of the election.

It's not welching if it's not going to bring the government down (subject to a stupid 2015 Budget) and is amicably agreed by both sides. Both parties can play the line that what needed to be done has been but now the time is to look forward to the next parliament and provide the public with the distinctive choice only possible outside of coalition.

SMukesh said:

From thread

It means the Lib Dems are likely to perform much better at the 2015 elections (IMO) if they've regained an air of equidistance from both parties. They can still claim credit for those bits of government policy they like from 2010 to (say) Jan 2015, but a new leader wouldn't be toxic to the LD-Lab switchers in the way Clegg is. Clegg staying LD leader would see them lose more seats at a single election than any since the 1920s.

In addition, it would assure him of a life and a role after 2015 in a way that fighting the GE very probably wouldn't. Besides, what's his future if he does stay as leader? Isn't the probability that he'll go afterwards one way or the other anyhow?
    Fair enough.Agree that if Clegg goes,the swingback from Labour to Libs will help both parties at the election
  • Life imprisonment for those who leave dog crap in a bag on a branch. Death for those who leave the crap where it drops. As a kid growing up in London it was everywhere; now when I'm down there it's almost always cleaned up by owners. Up here, by contrast, there are turds everywhere on the walking paths. Conclusion? Lefty metropolitan Guardianistas are more community minded than right-wing, semi-rural Express readers.
  • tim said:

@Josias.
    You still pay for them though.

"In first class you get free hot towels"

No you don't you f*cking moron you paid for it on your ticket.

"I'm a pensioner, and I get a free bus pass."

No you don't, you f*king moron, you and everyone else pays for it from your taxes. And the bus service you use is going to be cancelled as a result of the pass ...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/feb/06/bus-services-crushed-pensioner-burden

And the reason the scheme fails:
    http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/campaigns/pensions-benefits/6480-passing-the-buck.html

Another example of Brown's stupid bribe-mentality. One ably supported by certain people on here ...
    Bag levy - let individual shops do it - no business of the state.
    Regarding plastic bags from 2015,the two parties can agree to slash housing benefit for thousands,split the NHS and create an artificial housing boom by tax-payer guaranteed mortgages.But they can`t agree to introduce a 5 p cost for plastic bags till the next election.

Moral:Anything the Conservatives support will be implemented now
    Anything the Conservatives oppose will be introduced in 2015.

And therein lies the failure of Clegg.He has been good for coalition by being a Yes-man but has got very little in return.

Morning, Bill. I thought early on the coalition that Clegg would be the next UK EU commissioner as the fit is indeed good - but I can't see it now. It'll be a Tory. The Con backbenchers and the EP election results will see to that. There are other international organisation jobs that come up though.

Isn't there a rule that Commissioners have to demonstrate pro-EU credentials? A Euro-sceptic Tory would find it hard to get through the selection process, especially as the European Parliament has to give final sign off.

SMukesh said:

Regarding plastic bags from 2015,the two parties can agree to slash housing benefit for thousands,split the NHS and create an artificial housing boom by tax-payer guaranteed mortgages.But they can`t agree to introduce a 5 p cost for plastic bags till the next election.

And therein lies the failure of Clegg.He has been good for coalition by being a Yes-man but has got very little in return.

Hes only got 50 odd MPs - hardly an equal partner.
  • tim said:

Philippe Legrain ‏@plegrain
    JeremyBrowne: Romanians/Bulgarians coming 2UK comply w same rules as Brits living in Spain/w holiday homes in France/working in Germany TRUE

The Times OUTRAGE at this is a sign of it's sad decline into Con Home.

It's a shame what's become of The Times since the editor changed. It's just another partisan, agenda-driven rag now, when previously it was much more detached from the fray.

• MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Agree with Icarus and tpfkar , this thread is wrong , it won't happen . Nor as I have said repeatedly over the last 3 years was Clegg ever going to be the next EU Commissioner . The Coalition government will last until until very shortly before the 2015 election as I have said it would from the start .
  • Labour longlist for Dunfermline by-election

Cara Hilton (local Cllr)
    Lesley Laird (Fife Cllr)
    Fiona Yates (daughter of Cowdenbeath MSP)
    Tom McInally (police inspector from Lothians)
    Ewan Aitken (former Edinburgh Council Leader)

Shortlisting today.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Apart from stabilizing the economy and taking millions of low paid out of tax?

After all, what have the Romans done for us?

(cue for long discussion on generalship in yhe Punic wars)
    SMukesh said:

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528
    Charles said:

I watched the Rachel Reeves interview live on Newsnight. It was indeed dull, as she plodded on not answering any questions and trying to spoon feed Paxman her pre-cooked meals whilst he, in his best Terrible Twos mode, was more inclined to throw it all over the wall.

However, I was struck by just how much she sounds like Ed Miliband. And then I was struck by just how much she LOOKS like Ed Miliband. Put a fright wig on Ed Miliband and lo and behold, Rachel appears before you.

Looking and sounding like the leader of your party might be a good way for a very underwhelming painfully-ambitious political wannabe to get ahead. But when the Labour Party rejects Ed after the country rejects Ed in 2015, I wonder who she will morph into next?
    Mark - why do the Lib Dems have to leave the government before the election? The government is the government until there is a new PM after the election.
    The LDs saved the country from 5 more years of Labour - there is no higher achievement possible.

Life imprisonment for those who leave dog crap in a bag on a branch. Death for those who leave the crap where it drops. As a kid growing up in London it was everywhere; now when I'm down there it's almost always cleaned up by owners. Up here, by contrast, there are turds everywhere on the walking paths. Conclusion? Lefty metropolitan Guardianistas are more community minded than right-wing, semi-rural Express readers.

Counterpoint: that semi-rural inhabitants accept turds as part of the natural order of life, and know that it will be recycled by nature as soon as it rains. Example: in the country I am quite happy to throw an apple core into the bushes because I know it will be well used. I would not dream of doing so in town.
    TGOHF said:

SMukesh said:

Hes only got 50 odd MPs - hardly an equal partner.
    So you say the Lib-Dems have only 1/7th and Conservatives 6/7th of coalition MP`s.

Does that mean Cameron can get his legislation through 6 out of 7 times without Lib-Dem support?

Icarus said:

Mark - why do the Lib Dems have to leave the government before the election? The government is the government until there is a new PM after the election.

I agree they don't .

SMukesh said:

What else of the Lib-Dem agenda has gone through apart from raising the income-tax threshold?

Tipping a growing economy back into several quarters of negative growth is called stabilisation these days I suppose.
  • Agree with Icarus and tpfkar , this thread is wrong , it won't happen . Nor as I have said repeatedly over the last 3 years was Clegg ever going to be the next EU Commissioner . The Coalition government will last until until very shortly before the 2015 election as I have said it would from the start .

Mr Senior, you can add me to your list.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Totally agree. We quickly learnt to remember to take shopping bags along to the supermarket last time we were in France on our hols, and its a habit we could quickly get used to over here in the UK if we had too.

dr_spyn said:

Morning All.

I have no idea if ‘Brussels’ is getting in the way, but I certainly agree this proposal is years behind some member states. Charging for plastic bags, as well as plastic bottles etc, was common practice in Germany twenty years ago when I was based there. – Most supermarkets at the time sold cotton shopping bags that were cheap, tough and bio degradable. – We would never dream of leaving the house for the weekend shop, without a selection of these carrier bags. -The UK has come a long way in ‘recycling’ over the past decade, but still has a lot of catching up to do.
    This is just one such proposal – and I agree with it.
  • 1. Going into GE 2010, does anyone know what the betting was saying the day before about the likely number of LD seats?
    2. Regarding this 25% that now would consider voting LD, I remember back before GE2010 that the LDs used to say that from polling VI, a much larger % of the voters would consider voting for them on words similar to "if they could win". My recollection was in the 40%'s but does anyone remember the real figure?
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Yuck! Don't the local councils provide specific bins for exactly this purpose in popular areas where people walk their dogs, they do in our area?

Mr. Jessop, we have similar issues here, except that the bags are often left to hang on branches (happily they're relatively few in number, but it's still vile).

TGOHF said:

The LDs saved the country from 5 more years of Labour - there is no higher achievement possible.

Regardless of their situation post 2015 GE there is nothing more important that the LibDems and their forebears have done since the WWII Coalition than their participation in this present Coalition.

Even if you disagree with Coalition government policies the provision of a stable government during an unprecedented economic crisis was and remains a substantial prize for the nation.

edited September 2013
    I can stand boring politicians. Indeed I quite like rule by thoughtful introverts who plan strategically and are good with nuts and bolts logistics. All parties seem to have strong elements of leadership by charismatic extroverts who govern with off the cuff ill thought through policies in the style of Tony Blairs sofa government.

I did see Rachel Reeves interview, and she was undeniably boring, but also did not demonstrate any deep strategic thought or real sense of understanding of the nations continuing financial problems. It is hard to work from a blank sheet of paper and the combination of lack of charisma and lack of thought is not a good one.

The Arctic Monkeys were good though, but not as good as Drenge.

Charles said:

I watched the Rachel Reeves interview live on Newsnight. It was indeed dull, as she plodded on not answering any questions and trying to spoon feed Paxman her pre-cooked meals whilst he, in his best Terrible Twos mode, was more inclined to throw it all over the wall.

However, I was struck by just how much she sounds like Ed Miliband. And then I was struck by just how much she LOOKS like Ed Miliband. Put a fright wig on Ed Miliband and lo and behold, Rachel appears before you.

Looking and sounding like the leader of your party might be a good way for a very underwhelming painfully-ambitious political wannabe to get ahead. But when the Labour Party rejects Ed after the country rejects Ed in 2015, I wonder who she will morph into next?
    @fitalass

Apologies for my no show on your vanilla message. I missed you flagging it and also very rarely click on the profile.
  • Charles said:

Life imprisonment for those who leave dog crap in a bag on a branch. Death for those who leave the crap where it drops. As a kid growing up in London it was everywhere; now when I'm down there it's almost always cleaned up by owners. Up here, by contrast, there are turds everywhere on the walking paths. Conclusion? Lefty metropolitan Guardianistas are more community minded than right-wing, semi-rural Express readers.

Counterpoint: that semi-rural inhabitants accept turds as part of the natural order of life, and know that it will be recycled by nature as soon as it rains. Example: in the country I am quite happy to throw an apple core into the bushes because I know it will be well used. I would not dream of doing so in town.

Hmmm. Steaming turds in parks and fields where other humans frequently wander do not get recycled by rain, they end up on clothes, shoes and children's hands.

• tim said:

Why is the 5p carrier bag thing delayed beyond the election, is it seriously going to lose any votes? It doesn't need legislation

I assume you're correct, but I'd be interested to know under what powers the Government can impose it. We need to get away from rule by ukase or (as is likely with this) by Order in Council.

• Lorraine Fullbrook, MP for South Ribble, has announced her retirement. She was elected in 2010 for the first time. Personal reasons cited as her reasons.
    The other influence that the LibDems have had includes the pupil premium, and attenuating the NHS changes and Tuition fees. A more positive attitude to Europe is a further one.

It is the right wing of the Tory party that most resents the LibDems, and the Labour party should not be too disparaging about the LibDem ministrrs and their policies, not least because they may be in cabinet with Labour ministers in 2015. It is rarely worth making permenant enemies.
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

What else of the Lib-Dem agenda has gone through apart from raising the income-tax threshold?

Tipping a growing economy back into several quarters of negative growth is called stabilisation these days I suppose.
  • JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Regardless of their situation post 2015 GE there is nothing more important that the LibDems and their forebears have done since the WWII Coalition than their participation in this present Coalition. Even if you disagree with Coalition government policies the provision of a stable government during an unprecedented economic crisis was and remains a substantial prize for the nation.
    The problem is that the LDs seem hell bent on slagging off the coalition and keep emphasising the rows and differences. It sends the voters a message that coalitions are a bad thing. Which is the worst strategy a minor party should follow. But so be it.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364

You'll never get rid of the free bus pass for the old gits (I use mine on the trains too in Merseyside).

You can give things, but nowadays, with 24-hour media, it's almost impossible to take things back. Even if a Government proposed a change that made 99% of the population better off and only 1% worse off, you'd only hear from the 1%.

"Can't complain" isn't news. "Can complain" will fill the airwaves.

And Gordon's response was always to throw money at things and never mind the consequences. As his Scottish counterpart said ... "For mine own good, all causes shall give way."
  • Charles said:

I have oftern wondered what is wrong about allowing your dog to crap in a wooded area, say, well off the path where people aren't likely to walk in it. After all, squirrels, deer, foxes etc will all be doing their business in the area.

The Arctic Monkeys were good though

The Arctic Monkeys are always good though. Ask Gordon Brown...

• She's the second from 2010 intake to announce retirement. But the other one is Evans from Cardiff North who had previous stints as MP (1992-1997) and MEP (1999-2009).

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Regardless of their situation post 2015 GE there is nothing more important that the LibDems and their forebears have done since the WWII Coalition than their participation in this present Coalition. Even if you disagree with Coalition government policies the provision of a stable government during an unprecedented economic crisis was and remains a substantial prize for the nation.
    The problem is that the LDs seem hell bent on slagging off the coalition and keep emphasising the rows and differences. It sends the voters a message that coalitions are a bad thing. Which is the worst strategy a minor party should follow. But so be it.
    Wrong , it is Conservatives such as yourself who believe your party has a divine right to rule on it's own whatever the electorate has decided , who have been hell bent on slagging off the LD's every time you do not get your own way .
    On a broader point, Rachel Reeves epitomises many modern politicians - those who want to be politicians, and when they are, grope around for a political creed to justify their career choice. It seems few are those who have a political creed as a compass for their life, and seek to go into politics to persuade others of the right of their cause.
    I agree. As a pro coalition LD supporter, I think it untenable to run a campaign that is explicitly anti coalition policy.

Indeed with Labour bogged down fighting its trade unionists, and the Torys tacking right to become more xenophobic there is an increasing gap for a fiscally sensible centrist party. That is where the LiDems belong, and it is a substantial proportion of the population. Blair won power by regaining the centre, and cameron nearly managed the same. Now both Tories and Labour are abandoning the centre. It is a good opportunity.

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

<

The other influence that the LibDems have had includes the pupil premium, and attenuating the NHS changes and Tuition fees. A more positive attitude to Europe is a further one.

It is the right wing of the Tory party that most resents the LibDems, and the Labour party should not be too disparaging about the LibDem ministrrs and their policies, not least because they may be in cabinet with Labour ministers in 2015. It is rarely worth making permenant enemies.

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

So what you are saying is the achievement of Lib Dems is that they have moderated the rabid right-wing of the Tory party.And you are the first person who touts their role on tuition fees and NHS changes as a success.

It`s not Labour who despises them,it`s their former voters.

Isn't there a rule that Commissioners have to demonstrate pro-EU credentials? A Euro-sceptic Tory would find it hard to get through the selection process, especially as the European Parliament has to give final sign off.

I don't think there's a rule quite like that. They have to take an oath to upload the existing treaties, so I suppose that theoretically includes a commitment to "ever closer union" and stuff, but I doubt there would be anything that would be inconsistent with the current Tory line.

The European Parliament has to sign off, but they can only reject the whole thing, rather than being able to veto individuals. I doubt they'd reject someone purely because they were Euro-sceptical if they were in the mainstream of the elected British government, although you never know. I suppose if they tried to send someone who specifically said they intended to break things it's possible there might be some push-back, but it feels more likely that they'd let them in but give them the paperclip-counting portfolio...

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

I couldn't disagree more.

I was expecting far more division from the Coalition. It was my biggest concern as the parties came together.

However they have kept to the Coalition Agreement pretty well and the government has been far more together than during the latter years of the Blair/Brown government and the Major government of 92/97.

Even some of the potential awkward squad such as Simong Hughes (Copyright Andrea) have been remarkably onside.

• I agree. As a pro coalition LD supporter, I think it untenable to run a campaign that is explicitly anti coalition policy.

Indeed with Labour bogged down fighting its trade unionists, and the Torys tacking right to become more xenophobic there is an increasing gap for a fiscally sensible centrist party. That is where the LiDems belong, and it is a substantial proportion of the population. Blair won power by regaining the centre, and cameron nearly managed the same. Now both Tories and Labour are abandoning the centre. It is a good opportunity.

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

There are no fiscally sensible parties in parliament.

• I agree. As a pro coalition LD supporter, I think it untenable to run a campaign that is explicitly anti coalition policy.

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

The problem fox is that there is likely to be a change in the LD Leader before the GE and that new person is not going to be a centrist, but a Labour leaning type such as Farron or Cable.
  • A UK Labour government would abolish the spare room subsidy, the party's Scottish welfare spokeswoman has said.

Jackie Baillie told BBC Radio Scotland an announcement on the issue would be made soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24090772

I agree. As a pro coalition LD supporter, I think it untenable to run a campaign that is explicitly anti coalition policy.

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

The problem fox is that there is likely to be a change in the LD Leader before the GE and that new person is not going to be a centrist, but a Labour leaning type such as Farron or Cable.
    There is NOT likely to be a change in the LD leader before the next GE

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

I imagine that`s quite comforting to Labour.Just like a few went to the poll booths post-Iraq to vote against Blair,there`s going to be some who cast a vote just to spite Clegg.
    SMukesh said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

I imagine that`s quite comforting to Labour.Just like a few went to the poll booths post-Iraq to vote against Blair,there`s going to be some who cast a vote just to spite Clegg.
    Anyone who is going to cast their vote out of spite is not going to be swayed by a change of leader .
    edited September 2013
    test
  • I've also seen them hanging from trees. And, perversely, I once saw such a feccu-bag hanging from a tree in Hampshire alongside a pair of blue frilly panties.

My mind boggled.

The theory is that people are going on an out-and-back walk and intend to collect the turd on their way back, rather than carry it with them. In practice, this seems not to work. The frilly knickers were presumably used as a marker so the dog owner(s) could identify their own turd. The alternative theory is presumably that the owners got bored while waiting for the dog to do its business...

• Jackie Baillie told BBC Radio Scotland an announcement on the issue would be made soon.

An announcement that'll be a piece of obfuscating guff that can be spun one way to 'middle' England and another to Scotland? Surely not.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited September 2013

A UK Labour government would abolish the spare room subsidy, the party's Scottish welfare spokeswoman has said.

Jackie Baillie told BBC Radio Scotland an announcement on the issue would be made soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24090772

BBC hopelessly confused in their reporting there. What Baillie is saying is that they would re-introduce the spare room subsidy, ie. end the bedroom tax.
    edited September 2013
    I wonder if those who have been helped to buy think it is a bad idea, perhaps they are the ones to ask.
This discussion has been closed.