Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Thatcher polling continues….Best PM since ’45 and her g

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Presumably the 4 Lib dems who voted for Brown as our best post war Prime Minister belong to the wing of the party which favours legalising drugs.

It is surely a measure of the man that he, as a former Prime Minister himself and still allegedly a member of Parliament, did not make it to the House today. I am not for a minute suggesting that he would have added anything to the occasion but as usual his conduct in inviting Mrs T to No. 10 is shown up for the rank hypocrisy it was.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited April 2013
    DavidL said:

Presumably the 4 Lib dems who voted for Brown as our best post war Prime Minister belong to the wing of the party which favours legalising drugs.

It is surely a measure of the man that he, as a former Prime Minister himself and still allegedly a member of Parliament, did not make it to the House today. I am not for a minute suggesting that he would have added anything to the occasion but as usual his conduct in inviting Mrs T to No. 10 is shown up for the rank hypocrisy it was.

Didn't someone earlier say that Brown is attending a funeral today?

See 2.35pm on the Guardian live blog.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Plato said:

RT @JonathanArnott: UKIP membership has this afternoon passed 25,000. Tremendous news that the Party continues to grow at an astonishing rate.

That is good news indeed ! Our democracy is going from strength to strength. The Tories had a monopoly of right wing views. Now we will have pluralism, which is good.

Tories also support FPTP.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    @surbiton

Bingo.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013

DavidL said:

He's in Cannes at MIP TV (where channels buy and sell TV products, do deals and so on) to urge for more media attention in girls' education.

He sent Sarah to Westminstrer to watch from the gallery.
  • Options
    Lord Tebbit: there is a precedent for being divisive, there are sheep and there are goats
  • Options

Tebbit: "I regret not returning to government, out of conern for my wife, and so left her at the mercy of her friends"

Ouch.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

DavidL said:

Gordon is in Cannes today.

He may be calling on Roger in Villeneuve-sur-mer this afternoon.

• Options
    Ding, dong.....number 8 in the charts !
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Meacher hides behind a constituents email.....having re-written history about the late 70s.....
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    surbiton said:

Are you getting worried that it might beat One Direction?

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    RT @benatipsosmori: In office, Mrs T had the highest score for being capable of any PM(62%) but was never liked. 1990 net satisfaction lowest ever for a PM
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:
    ... a drama teacher from Brighton ...

• Options

tim said:

Miliband was seriously impressive today

He was. It was a polished performance, with the right tone and dignity.

I'm trying to work out whether that's good or bad for him! Dan Hodges will tell us.

Dan Hodges will not have any respect for Ed Miliband until he joins the Tories !

• Options

DavidL said:

"Mr Brown was unable to attend Parliament because he was giving a speech in Cannes as part of his role as the United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education, the spokesman said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9984744/Margaret-Thatcher-dies-Gordon-Brown-will-not-attend-special-Commons-session.html

At least that's a better reason than we've seen from the 'look-at-me' petulant Labour MPs busy 'washing their hair'.....or with dynastic politics is that 'heir'?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh Dear, Diane....I fear....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tim said:

Miliband was seriously impressive today

He was. It was a polished performance, with the right tone and dignity.

I'm trying to work out whether that's good or bad for him! Dan Hodges will tell us.

Dan Hodges will not have any respect for Ed Miliband until he joins the Tories !

Fail:

"Ed Miliband's tribute to Margaret Thatcher was perfectly judged: moving, eloquent, generous without fawning"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100211566/ed-milibands-tribute-to-margaret-thatcher-was-perfectly-judged-moving-eloquent-generous-without-fawning/
  • Options

Oh Dear, Diane....I fear....

I had worried about Kaufmann and was happily confounded...Meacher on the other hand....

• Options
    surbiton said:

In the Classical Music charts it is the Agnus Dei from Mozart's Requièm Mass in D minor (K. 626).

Agnus Dei, qui tollis
    peccata mundi,
    dona eis requiem.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis
    peccata mundi,
    dona eis requiem.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis
    peccata mundi,
    dona eis requiem sempiternam.

Lamb of God, who takes away
    the sins of the world,
    grant them eternal rest.
    the sins of the world,
    Grant them eternal rest.
    the sins of the world,
    grant them eternal rest forever.
  • Options

DavidL said:

"Mr Brown was unable to attend Parliament because he was giving a speech in Cannes as part of his role as the United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education, the spokesman said."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9984744/Margaret-Thatcher-dies-Gordon-Brown-will-not-attend-special-Commons-session.html

At least that's a better reason than we've seen from the 'look-at-me' petulant Labour MPs busy 'washing their hair'.....or with dynastic politics is that 'heir'?
    Wonder if anyone turned up for this one.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Blue_rog said:
    ... a drama teacher from Brighton ...

She can be judged by the quality of her enemies. If you get slagged off by Gerry Adams, Ken Livingstone, Derek Hatton, George Galloway, Argentine veterans of the Falklands war, and other assorted bacilli, you can be sure you've done something right.

• Options
    "Then Nick Clegg spoke. The less said about that the better. What matters is that Cameron and Miliband did well."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100211565/cameron-and-milibands-speeches-honouring-thatcher-were-exactly-what-the-moment-demanded/
  • Options
    Glenda went to talk to Bercow. Maybe she wants to speak.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Paddy Power are quoting 5/1 that Port Stanley will be renamed Port Margaret and 500/1 that Margaret Thatcher's face will be carved into Mount Snowdon:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/other-politics/uk-politics/Public-Ways-to-Commenorate-Margaret-Thatcher-5075642.html?force_racing_css=N

You've got to admire their business acumen.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: Vettel says he won't apologise for winning:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22098438

Hmm. Be a bit more credible if he'd said that immediately post race and hadn't apologised for ignoring team orders.
  • Options
    On yer bike Winnick.
  • Options
    @Sean_F

"and other assorted bacilli"

LOL
  • Options
    I think it's time to pay tribute to single mothers living in council estates on benefits
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Wonder how many of those Labourites MPs not bothering turning up today will turn up when St Nelson snuffs it. Wonder how many commentators will turn it back at them?

On the fair and balanced BBC. None.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

On yer bike Winnick.

A textbook case of how not to do it.....a lot of pent up rant in there.....

• Options
    Peter_2 said:

You're complaining about how the BBC will cover something that hasnt happened yet?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    AveryLP said:

On yer bike Winnick.

Winnick is just saying what most people would agree with, unless you are viewing 'through blue tinted spectacles'.
  • Options
    Almost everyone go away from Labour benches now. They were waiting for Winnick
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

AveryLP said:

On yer bike Winnick.

Winnick is just saying what most people would agree with, unless you are viewing 'through blue tinted spectacles'.
    I didn't get what he was saying at all.

Carlotta was quite right in describing it as a pent up rant.

A rare glimpse back to genuine Old Labour of the sixties and seventies.
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Neil said:

Peter_2 said:

You're complaining about how the BBC will cover something that hasnt happened yet?
    I am certainly not expecting a fair and balanced coverage. I'd go further and suggest a foreign politician will receive the wall to wall coverage not accorded to anyone else.

Or, perhaps, you think the Left's secular saint is immortal. Maybe the "prayers of the world" will give him immortality.

• Options
    Plato said:

RT @benatipsosmori: In office, Mrs T had the highest score for being capable of any PM(62%) but was never liked. 1990 net satisfaction lowest ever for a PM

Hardly anyone is mentioning the Poll Tax. The Tories are falling in a heap to gush praise.

Please remind us. Who stabbed Thatcher at the back ? Was it members of the Labour Party or was is members of the Conservative Party ?
  • Options

Almost everyone go away from Labour benches now. They were waiting for Winnick

Waiting for Dodo.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

Hardly anyone is mentioning the Poll Tax. The Tories are falling in a heap to gush praise.

Please remind us. Who stabbed Thatcher at the back ? Was it members of the Labour Party or was is members of the Conservative Party ?
    How many of those members in 1990 are still in Parliament now?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh my, hear comes the luvvie.
  • Options
    Dan's mum on now.
  • Options
    John Whittingdale gives both Clegg and Winnick well deserved slaps - the first for his 'no such thing as society' mis-representation, the latter for ignoring her opposition to apartheid.

Clegg's effort:

http://m.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2013/04/10/nick-clegg-tribute-to-thatcher-in-full
  • Options
    Thacher won three elections and we are spending £10 million on her funeral. Good though, I like public spending.

What happened when the man who won four elections died ? How much was spent on his funeral ?
  • Options
    RT @RyanCPS: Glenda Jackson really misjudging the mood here.
  • Options
    Downton Abbey needs her
  • Options

surbiton said:

Plato said:

Did you hear any of those Tories, member or not, say Sorry ?

• Options
    Glenda creating a picture of one of Dante's circles of hell, yet forgetting that voters didn't want Labour's lack of vision.
  • Options
    Peter_2 said:

Or, perhaps, you think the Left's secular saint is immortal. Maybe the "prayers of the world" will give him immortality.

Good point. He outlasted Thatcher, he may outlast you and I yet.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2013
    http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/karen-makes-second-bid-for-shields-seat-1-5569651

"A SOUTH Shields-born woman is favourite to be the Conservative candidate to fight the town’s forthcoming Parliamentary by-election.

Karen Allen, 34, a director with London-based Howden Insurance Brokers, was approached by the party locally to represent it for the second time."
  • Options
    I owe Dan Hodges an apology, I can see his poor political judgement is hereditary.
  • Options
    Pong said:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/karen-makes-second-bid-for-shields-seat-1-5569651

"A SOUTH Shields-born woman is favourite to be the Conservative candidate to fight the town’s forthcoming Parliamentary by-election.

Karen Allen, 34, a director with London-based Howden Insurance Brokers, was approached by the party locally to represent it for the second time."

She was the candidate in 2010 GE too
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Plato said:

RT @RyanCPS: Glenda Jackson really misjudging the mood here.

Actually I think Mrs T would be looking down enjoying Glenda Jacksons speech, as I don't think she was the type of person who liked being told what she wanted to hear. Mrs T was quite outspoken herself on many occasions and did not run with the grain.
  • Options
    Nick Cohen:

Middle-aged Britain has become the Sealed Knot. We're reenacting the civil war of the 1980s with blank bullets and fake gun-smoke
  • Options
    On Guido.

"@DPJHodges The member for Hampstead and Kilburn does not appear to have read your article."

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Anyone here au fait with German translations, have a letter from Der 'Bundeszentralanmt fur Steuern'' ! PM me if you can help ;) Is NickP a German speaker ?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

The member for Hampstead and Kilburn does not appear to have read your article."

Who can blame her.
  • Options
    Frank Field showing the left how it should be done.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2013
    surbiton said:

Thacher won three elections and we are spending £10 million on her funeral. Good though, I like public spending.

What happened when the man who won four elections died ? How much was spent on his funeral ?

Two minority governments with elections 6 months apart, 1 government with a wafer-thin majority and just one with a working majority. Country went from bad to worse in the process, became the sick man of Europe, and had to be bailed out by the IMF.

Can't really compare that to three outright victories, two of which were landslides, and the transformation of a nation to a genuine political and economic power.

Other than that, good point.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Didnt Ed Miliband do that earlier? I doubt anyone really cares about the tone MPs strike in their contributions today.
  • Options
    Frank Field with thoughtful contribution.....as usual.
  • Options
    gnorngnorn Posts: 14
    What were the major achievements of Churchill's 1951-55 ministry? Late colonial atrocities are the only things that come to mind.
  • Options
    yes, we analyzed on another place...most female Tory MPs at the time had too few experience or were too mad to enter the cabinet.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited April 2013
    From the american website NSFW (although its edited and published by a Brit) an obituary which highlights Maggie Thatcher's only real crime (its saved to the very end) and boy is it damning.

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/maggie-was-not-the-problem/84f4e940fefb8139ec4b4d4e7ec40eac4eaea04c/

As an aside this is also how to share articles behind a paywall. That link opens the paywall up for that article for 48 hours.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2013
    Am I the only person on PB that had no idea Dan Hodges was Glenda Jacksons son? :O
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Didnt Ed Miliband do that earlier? I doubt anyone really cares about the tone MPs strike in their contributions today.
    Miliband was excellent - but because he is leader, necessarily, a teeny bit bland.

The Labour back bench speeches have ranged from the thoughtful and amusing (Kaufmann, Field) through the careful but critical (Abbot) to good old fashioned class war rant (Winnick, Jackson).

Similarly, the nationalist parties have differed in their responses - the SDLP, measured critique, to the SNP's victim's whine.....

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Am I the only person on PB that had no idea Dan Hidges was Glenda Jacksons son? :O

Yes.

SeanT and I discussed that Dan H was damaged from seeing his mother's "Gangsta Sporran" on TV.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Miliband had a much more difficult task. He had to produce soundbites for the evening's news bulletins; to position his party in the great battle; and, to be as seen as statesmanlike but neither trite nor sycophantic by friend and foe alike.

Ed succeeded.

Frank Field had much greater licence. He was never going to be broadcast to the nation outside of the parliamentary channel's coverage. He was therefore free to criticise Thatcher's legacy. Wisely he did so without appearing mean minded, bilious or ranting.

Frank succeeded too.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Actually, Dan Hodges has reacted with some style in a tweet (there are so many things wrong with that sentence I don't know where to begin, but there you are):

"@theresecoffey @paulwaugh Can't be annoyed. Need her to baby sit."
  • Options
    gnorn said:

What were the major achievements of Churchill's 1951-55 ministry? Late colonial atrocities are the only things that come to mind.

The end of rationing. Economic recovery from a Labour government. The usual sort of thing.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    gnorn said:

They undid quite a lot of the more extreme Attlee madnesses, denationalised most of the steel industry and I think road haulage, ended rationing, but most importantly achieved their ambitious target of building 300,000 homes a year.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    surbiton said:

He had a private funeral & was buried on the Scilly Isles. There was a Westminster Abbey memorial service a couple of months later.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure someone has commented but I'm too busy to read the threads, but Paddy Ashdown made a superb speech in the Lords.

I thought both DC and EM were very good too. Our political elite do set-piece oratory and statecraft well. I felt quite proud listening to it; we are all Brits on this tiny little island after all.

(I'm becoming a soppy fecker, obviously)

oh, and ps - John Pienaar really likes Ed M. I think he fancies him not just as next PM but as a good one too. And Pienaar has been around a long time... Beeb or no Beeb.
  • Options
    The female Tory MPs from 1979 to 1990

Jill Knight
    Peggy Fenner
    Sally Oppenheim
    Janet Fookes
    Elaine Kellett-Bowman
    Lynda Chalker
    Sheila Faith (one termer)
    Angela Rumbold
    Anna McCurley (one term)
    Edwina Currie
    Elizabeth Peacock
    Marion Roe
    Ann Winterton
    Virginia Bottomley

from 1987
    Teresa Gorman
    Emma Nicholson
    Maureen Hicks
    Gillian Shepherd
    Ann Widdecombe

the class of 87 arrived too late for Thatcher. Edwina had the eggs problem.
    Perhaps it is surprising Lynda Chalker never got too far. She lost her seat in 1992 though (but she was at oversee development under Major's early years. So not a particularly hot seat)-

Kellett-Bowman, Winterton, Jill Knight...well,....

• Options
    edited April 2013
    GIN1138 said:

Am I the only person on PB that had no idea Dan Hodges was Glenda Jacksons son? :O

No, I had no idea myself until I read your message!
  • Options

Similarly, the nationalist parties have differed in their responses - the SDLP, measured critique, to the SNP's victim's whine.....

where is Plaid?
  • Options
    @Andrea

Dear old Shirley Williams was insisting that there were many talented female MPs she could have brought into the Cabinet.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Glenda's gangsta sporran...

That was the beauty of telly in those days. Three eclectic channels where you could get anything leaping out at you.

One minute you'd be dozing off in front of Tomorrow's World, next minute you are watching an unabridged version of Russell's Women in Love with your grandma...

It was seat of the pants stuff...

• Options
    Neil said:

@Andrea

Dear old Shirley Williams was insisting that there were many talented female MPs she could have brought into the Cabinet.

yes, the discussion in the other placed started from Shirley's view.

But frankly, how many talented women do you see in that list leaving aside those who arrived in 1987? At best 2-3

• Options
    taffys said:

Glenda's gangsta sporran...

That was the beauty of telly in those days. Three eclectic channels where you could get anything leaping out at you.

One minute you'd be dozing off in front of Tomorrow's World, next minute you are watching an unabridged version of Russell's Women in Love with your grandma...

It was seat of the pants stuff...

Watching them rolling in the hay with grandma adjusting her specs was when you shifted around on the sofa !

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

How many are even still alive?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2013

GIN1138 said:

No, I had no idea myself until I read your message!
    I never knew either. Poor man to have a mother as demented and as ugly as that.

• Options
    Giesla Stuart making it more difficult for The Tories to retake Edgbaston.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, Stuart seems to be a good sort (not unlike the late Gwyneth Dunwoody). Better a good egg with a red rosette than a bad one with a blue.
  • Options

Galloway praising North Korea:

No harm in praising a potential future paymaster.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Giesla Stuart making it more difficult for The Tories to retake Edgbaston.

Yep - another strong Labour back bench Labour speech. The 'class warriors' looking increasingly out of touch and out of tune with the occasion....

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Am I the only person on PB that had no idea Dan Hidges was Glenda Jacksons son? :O

Yes.

SeanT and I discussed that Dan H was damaged from seeing his mother's "Gangsta Sporran" on TV.
    No. I was the other person who didn't know. It is good to know he holds views independent of her. The bad news is that his views are crap !

How come he turned out to be a Tory !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone here au fait with German translations, have a letter from Der 'Bundeszentralanmt fur Steuern'' ! PM me if you can help ;) Is NickP a German speaker ?

You could try pasting the text into Google Translate. I only did GCSE level by the way :)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

Quite a few - including one in the cabinet today (Rt Hon member for Rushcliffe). Others that come to mind, apart from Major, are Heseltine, Hurd, Patten, Lamont, King & Howard but no doubt there are more.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Andy Slaughter MP tweets: Tory MPs barracking and heckling Glenda Jackson and David Winnick for mild criticisms of Thatcher. Childish and undemocratic.

Bob Crow apparently told BBC she can root in hell
  • Options
    @surbiton

"How come he turned out to be a Tory !"

Well, wouldn't you? Poor man.
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot about this:
    "Der 'Bundeszentralanmt fur Steuern"

I think that's the Federal Centre (not sure if 'anmt' adds anything) for, er, probably driving. I had to check Steuern on wiktionary (I haven't used German for ages, sadly) and it means steering.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Sheerman - Labour in the 1970s was shambolic, didn't know how to deal with Mrs Thatcher's Gladstonian Liberalism ... Mrs Thatcher transformed the Labour Party.

• Options
    Gielsa Stuart really should have lost her seat at the last election. And Parliament would have been the poorer for it. She is one impressive lady.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

They stabbed her in the back only 22 yeras ago. Most of them are still alive. She herself just died !

At least, there will be £10 milion public spending. At least, something good has happened !

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Apparently because Parliament has been recalled an opportunity has arisen for Labour to call the South Shields by-election for 2nd May after all. Whether they'll take it is another matter of course.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Plato said:

They stabbed her in the back only 22 yeras ago. Most of them are still alive. She herself just died !

At least, there will be £10 milion public spending. At least, something good has happened !

The £10 million of public money spent on her funeral is Maggie's last laugh. It is her pall tax.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Galloway praising North Korea:

No harm in praising a potential future paymaster.
    He does have a penchant for nuclear weapon states, doesn't he?

• Options
    edited April 2013

A tad cheaper than Tony's wars, no?

:)
This discussion has been closed.