Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Thatcher polling continues….Best PM since ’45 and her g

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Nice EdM comment on Maggie and climate change
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Nice EdM comment on Maggie and climate change

And he then made a cheap shot about hugging huskies - FAIL. There are years to make such jibes, not now.
  • Options
    That's a great speech by Milliband.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Overall Milliband is having a good Thatcher. A bad one may have hurt him, a good one won't make much difference, but he may gain a notch or two on 'can be seen as PM'
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    antifrank said:

And on the negatives of Mrs Thatcher's tenure of office, UKIP voters' responses in some respects are very similar to those of Labour voters' responses. Both groups are far more concerned about the decline in mining and manufacturing and privatisations than either Lib Dem or Conservative voters.

Socially, Labour and UKIP voters come from similar backgrounds (although their values are quite different).

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Milliband genuinely outstanding.
  • Options
    RT @BBCPropaganda: Ed Miliband wanted to be Margaret Thatcher a few months ago http://t.co/DCUBVL1IdS #BBCDP
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Excellent speeches from both Cameron & Miliband - who managed the tricky balance between praise and acknowledging differences well.
  • Options
    Denis Skinner is not in the House.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Agreed. This could have been very tricky for him but he's surmounted the hurdles.

Labour chose the right Miliband.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ed rises to the moment.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    taffys said:

Great example of a mediocre replacement of better designs.

As was that ludicrous flying wedge of boxiness, the Austin Princess.

It was the complete lack of pride that really got me. Even the features these cars had were only grudgingly put there because the competition had them.

Left to their own devices, they would have been producing trabants.

It is amazing how cars could go from looking so great in the 50s and 60s to looking so utterly crap in the 70s and early 80s.....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    antifrank said:

Interesting to see that 5% of UKIP voters hate Mrs Thatcher so much that they regard her as having no achievements that they are prepared to pick as greatest. The only other party with a non-negligible number of nil responses is Labour.

That's not surprising, when you consider that one in six UKIP supporters put themselves on the left of the political spectrum.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2013
    Plato said:

The first bench in front of LibDems where Skinner, Ronnie Campbell, John Cryer and the old school leftish Labourites usually sit is almost totally empty (there just 1 man at the very end of it).
  • Options
    Overall - I'd give EdM 8/10 for that.

Cameron was excellent as he always is on such occasions.
  • Options
    How you react to someone's death often says a lot more about you, then it does about them...
  • Options
    Plato said:

He had a prior appointment with his tailor.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

And on the negatives of Mrs Thatcher's tenure of office, UKIP voters' responses in some respects are very similar to those of Labour voters' responses. Both groups are far more concerned about the decline in mining and manufacturing and privatisations than either Lib Dem or Conservative voters.

Socially, Labour and UKIP voters come from similar backgrounds (although their values are quite different).

I would suggest an alteration to: 'Although we are told their values are quiet different.'

I don't believe the values of the majority of Conservative voters and the majority of Labour voters are that different either.

Most want a fair society in which the vulnerable are protected, the cheats and spivs don't get away with it and the levels of crime are low. They may think there are different ways of arriving there.
  • Options

How you react to someone's death often says a lot more about you, then it does about them...

Quite.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    taffys said:

Great example of a mediocre replacement of better designs.

I read that a for a moment thought you were referring to today's politicians compared with previous ones :-)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Plato said:

A Labour MP had to go to the denstist today.
  • Options
    RT @DanHannanMEP: 'A man's right to work as he will, spend what he earns, have the State as servant not master: these are the British inheritance.' M Thatcher
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure about Clegg's tone - he sounds like he's trying to make a dividing line here.

He's just used the 'no such thing as society' out of context quote.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413

Agreed. This could have been very tricky for him but he's surmounted the hurdles.

To be fair, in this matter I think his big brother would equally have risen to the occasion.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Clegg not matching the standard set by Miliband.
  • Options
    RT @jameschappers: Muttering on all sides. House not happy with Clegg's 'not simply heroine or villian' theme #thatcher
  • Options
    Oh dear Clegg....
  • Options

To be fair, in this matter I think his big brother would equally have risen to the occasion.
    I very much doubt that.

• Options

Clegg not matching the standard set by Miliband.

Agreed.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2013
    Plato said:

RT @jameschappers: Muttering on all sides. House not happy with Clegg's 'not simply heroine or villian' theme #thatcher

Not able to listen in to the speech. Is it more LibDem fence-sitting? Lets not offend anyone and thus appear rather bland and beige?
  • Options

JackW said:

Plato said:

A Labour MP had to go to the denstist today.
    Ah .... that was Denis Skinner too, he had his wisdom teeth put in !!

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Plato said:

I'm not sure about Clegg's tone - he sounds like he's trying to make a dividing line here.

What's he said that you didn't like?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Yep - suffers in comparison with Cameron (who didn't politicise it) and Miliband (who had trickiest job & pulled it off superbly).

Good days for Cameron & Miliband....not so good for Clegg.

• Options
    RT @HouseofTwits: RT @Keith_VazMP Excellent speeches by David Cameron and Ed Miliband in the Commons #thatchertributes
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Anorak said:

Plato said:

Not able to listen in to the speech. Is it more LibDem fence-sitting? Lets not offend anyone and thus appear rather bland and beige?
    TBH no, he came across as petulant. Taking the society comment out of context did it for me. He knows better than this. Silly man. Now is not the time for point-scoring.

RT @hopisen: Was going to say naturally Party leaders made good speeches, simple to praise person, critique policies gracefully. But then Clegg spoke..
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Is Gordon Brown there today?
  • Options
    Hopefully Nuuala is in front of TV
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He's in Cannes at MIPTV
  • Options
    Lovely to see so much mirth and wit over Mrs T - that's the sign of a well respected leader - when you can poke fun but do it with a genuine smile and laughter with affection.
  • Options
    Sir Malcie speaks, Nuala swoons !!
  • Options
    Catching up on Clegg's speech, tbh of the three he gave the most accurate depiction of her.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I read somewhere that Dennis Skinner and Maggie actually got on rather well person to person....not sure where I read it thoough
  • Options
    I've always had a soft spot for Malcolm Rifkind - another great speech and anecdotes today in the Commons.

His son Hugo is a superb columnist.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman tweets:

"No10 says 'True Blue' has been used as Whitehall codename for Thatcher funeral since at least 2006 under Blair. Oh dear, Andy Burnham"

Sounds like Nick Clegg has fallen to the occasion again
  • Options
    By the mid 80s it was a pleasure going on international business as a Brit. We were so well respected that doors opened to us in ways that were shut to us in the 1970s. The change was down to Mrs T. Much respect and thanks.
  • Options
    Looks like Angus Robertson is sinking to the occasion too.....
  • Options
    Ken Livingstone seems to have left the DP programme on BBC2 in a huff... "off to do gardening" says Andrew Neil. Clearly did not like Neil pinning to him his admiration for the social market setup in Germany.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sir Malcolm Rifkind - a terrific speech. Best scotch politician ever.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

He's in Cannes at MIPTV
    Gordon Brown available in cans - mean, flat and tasteless.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

How hard can it be to just be nice when someone dies? Clearly a handful can't manage it despite many years in public life.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Seven hours is overkill, surely. The party leaders, plus a few of the Tories in the house who knew her well would have been sufficient. I really enjoyed Redwood's speech: it was a genuine eye-opener. If he could come across like that more often he may have gone a lot further.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Jonathan said:

Indeed we did. And as someone who was present at the Fabian Society meeting at which he declared his candidacy on the Saturday after the general election and decided to vote for him on the basis on what I thought the best political speech I had ever heard I am more than delighted that his skills are now becoming widely appreciated.
  • Options

Seven hours is overkill, surely. T

what? are they going on for 7 hours?!!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Non Thatcher Post (NTP):

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Andrew Wakefield, initiator of the bogus MMR scare, is no longer even named in an article about the topic. He's referred to as 'a surgeon'. Given the size of his ego, that's gotta hurt :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22089485
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Speech rankings so far:

Sir Malcolm Rifkind (perfect tone uniting house)
    Ed Miliband (exceeded expectations)
    David Cameron (met expectations)
    Nick Clegg (misjudged tone)
    Angus Robertson (oh dear)
  • Options

Ken Livingstone seems to have left the DP programme on BBC2 in a huff... "off to do gardening" says Andrew Neil. Clearly did not like Neil pinning to him his admiration for the social market setup in Germany.

Perhaps appearing on Jeremy Kyle would be appropriate? I've only seen the very occasional edition - but stumbled across it today - cripes, what a shocker it was and Mr Kyle did an excellent job of it.

Whatever one may think of his guests - he knows how to handle it and pin down the flakey with a mallet. Watching it on replay is worth it on many levels.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

Clegg was too analytical, more than it was the right setting for.
  • Options
    We have just had Kinnock speak from his former SPAD Baroness Royall in the HoL on DP show whining about how little Thatcher did for female politicians.....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

That honour surely goes to Charles Kennedy

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

Yes, umm, I heartily agree with you there, at least about the speech. Not my favourite politician by a long chalk but today he was superb.

• Options
    corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

Piffle - Clegg got it wrong. I've seen no one say he called it right bar a tiny handful of LD loyalists.
  • Options

I believe so. It can't last that long though, surely.

• Options

Not surprised, for the first time since Thatcher died an interviewer has been throwing Livingstones real former positions back in his face - pointing out that he would have opposed the German Social Democratic model.

Alasdair MacDonnell of the SDLP showing how you do an 'I didn't like what she stood for' respectfully....

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    "picked the right Miliband"

Damned by faint praise....
  • Options
    Plato said:

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

Piffle - Clegg got it wrong. I've seen no one say he called it right bar a tiny handful of LD loyalists.
    He was off on tone sure.

In terms of content he was more interesting and accurate than the other two, but not really the right setting for that.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"picked the right Miliband"

Damned by faint praise....

Labour MPs and members wouldn't agree.

• Options
    Mr g00 passim is in combative form as ever

RT @chrisg0000: @hilarybennmp Will you recognise that 500,000 Miners had been sacked before she even got in power? Somehow I bet you won't
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Kinnock is a welsh windbag. Thank goodness he never became Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

What about John Redwood? Or did I imagine that he spoke? I thought he was really good and gave an outstanding explanation of what Thatcherism was meant to be all about from one of its arch-proponents. I did not agree, but I could see exactly where he was coming from.

I enjoyed Miliband's speech too - it showed real intelligence, as did Cameron's. Clegg was pretty dire it has to be said.

There's no need for any more now though. They should pack up and go.

• Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

That honour surely goes to Charles Kennedy
    Naughty Jack, but a great chuckle, hic.
  • Options

Not surprised, for the first time since Thatcher died an interviewer has been throwing Livingstones real former positions back in his face - pointing out that he would have opposed the German Social Democratic model.

Neil is very good, has anyone seen Sky/BBC/ITV point out the rreal facts on mining job loss comparisons under Wilson, Thatcher etc?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    Dadge said:

The people who voted for Eden must've had their tongue in their cheek, surely. I'd even rate Ted above him.

Rubbish! Eden was a visionary. The Middle East would have none of the problems it has today if his attempt to quell Arab nationalism at the root had been allowed to succeed. Alas the Yanks thwarted it and then regretted it - one of the great blunders of US foreign policy.

• Options

AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

What about John Redwood? Or did I imagine that he spoke? I thought he was really good and gave an outstanding explanation of what Thatcherism was meant to be all about from one of its arch-proponents. I did not agree, but I could see exactly where he was coming from.

I enjoyed Miliband's speech too - it showed real intelligence, as did Cameron's. Clegg was pretty dire it has to be said.

You can always turn off now, Southam.

I somehow feel you won't though.

Redwood gave a good speech, so did Nigel Dodds (?). As did Pantsdown in the other place: much better than Clegg. Howard a bit dry.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Why have BBC TV transmissions in the North West been off air for several hours? Having to watch the HoC on a buffering computer.
  • Options
    Conor Burns is very entertaining in the House.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Speech rankings so far:

You can always turn off now, Southam.

I somehow feel you won't though.

Redwood gave a good speech, so did Nigel Dodds (?). As did Pantsdown in the other place: much better than Clegg. Howard a bit dry.

I turned off during Clegg.

• Options
    Tebbit on his feet (just).

"Can one imagine the concept of an Italian Maggie Thatcher?"

Andrea?
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    A classy operator, Ed Miliband, isn't he?

No-one is underestimating him now, let alone thinking he's crap.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    Cameron and Miliband were both good.

Clegg never seems to pull off these big occasions, I'm not sure why?

It's either because he's not very good at writing/making speeches or its because he follows Cameron and Miliband and by the time you get to him everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Ultimately there is no party political advantage in this for anybody though.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Much respect and thanks.

For me it was 1982 and Britain was still officially crap. I was watching the world snooker championship and the program was interrupted to bring you, utterly bizarrely, coverage of balaclava wearing MIBs hurtling through windows at the Iranian embassy.

Counter terrorism hadn't even been really heard of before. The 70s was one long line of surrender monkeys from all over the world giving in to militants.

Suddenly we weren;t the sick man of Europe. We were top dog at the world's coolest, most difficult and most dangerous activity.
  • Options
    tim said:

Miliband was seriously impressive today

He was. It was a polished performance, with the right tone and dignity.

I'm trying to work out whether that's good or bad for him! Dan Hodges will tell us.

• Options
    BBC's Robin Brant says it seems it was Esther McVey who heckled Clegg
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Tebbit on his feet (just).

"Can one imagine the concept of an Italian Maggie Thatcher?"

Andrea?

They never served milk to us at school! :-)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I believe so. It can't last that long though, surely.

If I have counted correctly, relying on the Guardian live blog, there have been eight speeches in the first hour of the debate, which would equate to 56 speeches in the full seven hours.

Even with many Labour absentees, I would have thought there would be plenty enough MPs who will want to put their words on the record to keep the show going on that long.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="carl">A classy operator, Ed Miliband, isn't he?

No-one is underestimating him now, let alone thinking he's crap.</blockquote>

Sorry, but I still don't think Ed Miliband looks or acts in any way Prime Ministerial and assuming he somehow manages to luck his way into Downing Street because Cameron and Osborne are so useless, I would expect Ed Milibands time as Prime Minister to be nothing other than a complete and total disaster.
  • Options
    Excellent contribution from Conor Burns.
  • Options
    RT @MichaelLCrick: Tebbit, "She allowed me (after Brighton bomb) to run my (secretary of state's) office from my hospital bed."
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Hopefully Nuuala is in front of TV

Nuala wouldnt let a tv screen come between her and her Malcie.

Sorry, Sir Malcolm.

• Options
    Gerald Kaufman doing a good job as well. Gracious stuff.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Tebbit: "I regret not returning to government, out of conern for my wife, and so left her at the mercy of her friends"
  • Options
    carl said:

A classy operator, Ed Miliband, isn't he?
    No-one is underestimating him now, let alone thinking he's crap.

In the absence of policies.....the Jury is still out.....

If 'great performance on state occasions' was all that was required of a PM, Cameron would have few worries....

• Options
    RT @JonathanArnott: UKIP membership has this afternoon passed 25,000. Tremendous news that the Party continues to grow at an astonishing rate.
  • Options
    RT @BBCPropaganda: Dear Labour MPs, you should be taking lessons from Sir Gerald Kaufman. He understands how parliament is supposed to be.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Gerald Kaufman doing a good job as well. Gracious stuff.

Yes - another one who has risen to the occasion - even pointing out the failings of some on his own side.....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Churchill won a World War. Attlee's government created the NHS. Thatcher boycotted the Moscow Olympics and passed Section 28.

Greatest PM , really ? O

At least, something good thing is happening. £10 million of public spending will take place because of the elaborate funeral.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    taffys said:

Much respect and thanks.

For me it was 1982 and Britain was still officially crap. I was watching the world snooker championship and the program was interrupted to bring you, utterly bizarrely, coverage of balaclava wearing MIBs hurtling through windows at the Iranian embassy.

Counter terrorism hadn't even been really heard of before. The 70s was one long line of surrender monkeys from all over the world giving in to militants.

Suddenly we weren;t the sick man of Europe. We were top dog at the world's coolest, most difficult and most dangerous activity.

I don't think that the Israeli raid on Entebbe was the action of surrender monkeys. Blowing in a few windows in Belgravia was a cinch in comparison.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    There's a huge graffiti work near my office about the death of Thatcher. Some enterprising freelance photographer should snap it as I'm sure some 'papers would use it.
This discussion has been closed.