Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling round up

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Roger - Indeed, but could have been said in a more statemanlike way, but Abbott is also evidence of an increasingly isolationist right, in Australia, in the UK with the rise of UKIP and the opposition of Tory backbenchers to action, in France with the rise of Marine Le Pen and in the US with the rise of Senator Rand Paul in the 2016 polls and the likely opposition of many, if not most Republican congressmen to military action when the House of Representatives votes on it
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Teddy leaves the pram

"LABOUR's biggest trades union affiliate is planning a boycott of the party's conference next month in protest at the ongoing row over the Falkirk selection debacle.

Under proposals drawn up by Unite's regional committee in Scotland, union delegates will stay away from the Brighton gathering if the suspensions of two figures embroiled in the Falkirk row remain in place. A Labour source last night described the move as "self-indulgent" and also "damaging" to leader Ed Miliband. http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/political-news/after-falkirk-unite-plans-to-boycott-labour-conference.22024576?_=172ba59e6b56888c28c29d391d2f42c10fe5f726
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Lefties simply cannot understand how this will play out in Madrid and Argentina..British lives are now at risk..What then lefties?... you have chopped the gonads off the Lion.. well done.
    Millibands nano second forward planning.
  • Options
    "...Start with the bad and the bleak. When the Audit Bureau of Circulation, which counts physical copies sold, last reported on UK national dailies, it found red-tops down 9.18% in a year, the mid-market Mail bracket down 6.53% and qualities 4.15% off the pace, all averages covering a multitude of variations – with the worst quality sufferer the FT (minus 15.82%) and the worst red-top Richard Desmond's Star (goodbye 12.63%).

When ABC, last week, produced its latest six-month take on UK regionals, things seemed even grimmer. The average loss was over 10% year-on-year. The Argus in Brighton dropped 25.8%, others from Doncaster to Ipswich to Sheffield topped 20%. An apparently inexorable squeeze, signalling that one day soon many towns and cities may lose the print that binds community awareness.

And as for readers – people who read a paper but do not necessarily buy it, as measured by the giant opinion-poll-style National Readership Survey (NRS) – last week apparently hammered a few more nails in this coffin. Gross national readership of dailies slipped from 23m to 20.8m over a 12-month period. Sundays were down from 20.1m to 17.1m. The Indy lost 26% of its daily clientele. The Daily Star (minus 16%) was suffering again. So, in short order, physical sales of papers slide down and down, a blight naturally echoed when you count the impact on readership. And since print cover prices and print ad rates are the 75-80% arbiters of newspaper viability, bleakness comes custom-wrapped. But try a little good news for a change... >> http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/01/abc-newspaper-sales-falling-readership
  • Options

MG.. Bit of a blip last week just over 1400..but hey why bother even trying to stop it..Carry on Assad..

Richard, why are you so keen to commit us to a full scale invasion of Syria? Yes, thousands are dying in Syria, and not just from chemical weapons, but lobbing a few missiles ain't gonna stop any of it. Even Obama now realises that it'll take far more than a few Cruise missiles to stop Assad. I never figured you as a soulmate of Tony Blair.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    @JohnO.

Good morning and congratulations on becoming 'Father of the PB Tories' which I understand you now are after SeanF's defection.

Even in the face of the crumbling edifice that faces you this morning I hope you can stay strong. I have an awful feeling that if you too fall under the spell of the magnetic Farage SeanT is next in line!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Lefties simply cannot understand how this will play out in Madrid and Argentina..British lives are now at risk..What then lefties?... you have chopped the gonads off the Lion.. well done.

Richard more poodle than Lion unfortunately
  • Options
    The second most interesting aspect of the last 24 hours for me (after Obama's decision to go to Congress) has been seeing how aggressively the Conservatives have been counter-briefing. Earlier in this parliament the CCHQ press office was justifiably described as complacent and incompetent; now quite the opposite. However, I think they'd be well advised to tone down their rhetoric; a period of calm would serve the government well. Some of the attempts at "spin" on this have been embarassing; it simply cannot be portrayed as a victory for Cameron (yet), and attempting to portray it as such is likely to do more damage than was wrought by the initial episode.

That said, from the limited evidence we have seen so far, whilst far from a victory for Cameron this is certainly not a disaster (yet). A four point increase for Labour and MOE decline for the Conservatves in a weekly YouGov was probably about the best the Conservatives would have hoped for on Thursday night and it is remarkable that Cameron's personal ratings have barely moved. Whilst a 9 point increase in Miliband's ratings is notable, it should be put into context; this only returns Miliband to where he was two weeks ago and unwinds some of a fairly precipitous summer decline; his last ten results in the Yougov/ST series (most recent first) have been -42, -48, -42, -36, -41, -37, -35, -35, -34, -31. We have seen temporary boosts and plunges in leader ratings before in this electoral cycle and should not get too excited by temporary shock in isolation; the trend is more significant.

The other light on the horizon for Cameron is that the US now seems less likely to strike. If that remains the case, the only version of the future we get to road test is the one Miliband (and Tory backbenchers) engineered. If atrocities escalate, a link to the Assad regime is proved and a good plan drawn up, there is scope for Cameron and Obama to return to their legislatures, more in sorrow than in anger, of course, pointing out that they were right.

The greatest risk for Cameron remains the possibility of a move against him from the lemming tendency within his party. There can be no doubt that there is a hard core waiting for the moment to strike and who would be prepared to use the Syria episode as justification. The outcome of moves against leaders are always hard to predict but seldom end well for the party concerned. Cameron's opponants should stay their hands. But that's not to say they will.

• Options
    MG.. Fourth largest Military in the world.. Some poodle.
    Now we have told the entire world that we are moral cowards too, and they can do whatever they like to British interests and we will not attempt to stop them..and some of them will try it out..
  • Options
    Charles said:

Roger said:

Cameron and co live in a bubble. They just didn't see anything. ... whoever Cameron hires wont stop him from being completely out of touch

Was at home over the weekend & my Mum made an interesting comment. She sat next to Cameron at dinner a few weeks ago and her reaction afterwards was "this man doesn't know how to listen".

NB: not that he *doesn't* listen, but that he doesn't know *how to* listen
    Charles said:

Roger said:

@Charles

"my Mum made an interesting comment. She sat next to Cameron at dinner a few weeks ago and her reaction afterwards was "this man doesn't know how to listen"."

Maybe she was boring him

I doubt it, Roger. She's very practiced at that sort of event.
    Charles

I'm curious as to why you describe your mum as your Mum.

You're not Prince Charles by any chance ;-)

But on the issue you raise it does explain many things, for example the perserverance with a Conservative election strategy which obviously was based on erroneous foundations.
  • Options
    I'm finding it intriguing that phrases like *isolationism* are being bandied about - not intervening in another's civil war isn't isolationist.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:
    The scatalogical element makes it a less good cartoon - quite unnecessary
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-no-vote-hardens-up-to-59-1-3070088

Fitalass was linking this last night. May have been a different newspaper. My 2-1 rule for referendums is slowly establishing itself.

It is YouGov, they are always always a million miles out on Scotland. Last poll had 9% difference and given it is more likely to have shortened for anybody to put up crap like this is a joke.

Would you care to lose some money on your 2-1 rule.
    Quite. YouGov's Scottish sampling/weighting is looking a tad out of place with the others.

Latest Scottish samples from UK polls.

SNP lead over Labour:

YouGov: -20%
    Populus: +2%
    ICM: -3%
    ComRes: -6%
    TNS-BMRB: +1%

SNP lead over Tories:

YouGov: -5%
    Populus: +25%
    ICM: +28%
    ComRes: +20%
    TNS-BMRB: +23%

In terms of their independence polling the comparison to the latest others is:

Independence deficit/lead

YouGov: -30%
    Panelbase: -9%
    Angus Reid: -13%

And in the 2011 election their last poll had the SNP's lead in the proportional vote (the one that determines the make up of the Parliament) down to 2%.

In reality it turned out to be 18%.

http://www.scotlandvotes.com/holyrood/opinion-polls

That's margin of error times 5 + 1.

One for YouGov to explain I guess.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Charles said:

Roger said:

Cameron and co live in a bubble. They just didn't see anything. ... whoever Cameron hires wont stop him from being completely out of touch

Was at home over the weekend & my Mum made an interesting comment. She sat next to Cameron at dinner a few weeks ago and her reaction afterwards was "this man doesn't know how to listen".

NB: not that he *doesn't* listen, but that he doesn't know *how to* listen
    Charles said:

Roger said:

@Charles

"my Mum made an interesting comment. She sat next to Cameron at dinner a few weeks ago and her reaction afterwards was "this man doesn't know how to listen"."

Maybe she was boring him

I doubt it, Roger. She's very practiced at that sort of event.
    Charles

I'm curious as to why you describe your mum as your Mum.

You're not Prince Charles by any chance ;-)

But on the issue you raise it does explain many things, for example the perserverance with a Conservative election strategy which obviously was based on erroneous foundations.
    Thank goodness, not! I can't think of anything worse. Anyway, I wouldn't have time to post on here with all the letters I'd have to write...

I capitalise Mum because I view it as equivalent to a name, I suppose.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Charles said:

taffys said:

but it has been a good week for the British public, and armed forces, even if the result was achieved more by luck (or incompetence) than judgement.

Agreed. I see France's standing has been boosted in the world. Obama was so impressed by the offers of support from the mighty gauls he decided.....er........to put the whole thing on ice.

In fact, the British parliament has effectively determined the whole western policy approach.

That's overstating things - the British parliament was just the first to say what lots of people were thinking. (IMO, even the supporters of action were 'reluctant' and 'heavy-hearted' rather than enthusiastic)
    No wish to overstate, but may I point out that "being the first to say what lots of people are thinking" is the really hard part? You never know what they're thinking until you've said your piece. Consider how hard it's been for any politician to say something that's out of step with the official EU view. "We'll be isolated!"

• Options
    edited September 2013
    FIRE STOPPER .. I think you may have a reading problem.. when have I ever said we should have a fullscale invasion of anywhere and where in the debate on Thursday was it mentioned as part of one of the two motions..
    We have effectively given a lunatic the option to kill as many peope as he wants to kill in order to stay in power and we have told him and the rest of the world that the UK will stand by and watch... are you happy about that?.. because that is what you and your leftie pals have done.
  • Options
  • Options
    ..tim you have a Cheshire problem .. it just will not leave you alone.
  • Options

MG.. Fourth largest Military in the world.. Some poodle.
    Now we have told the entire world that we are moral cowards too, and they can do whatever they like to British interests and we will not attempt to stop them..and some of them will try it out..

Richard , may be 4th largest but we get beaten by a few Taliban in Afghanistan and sent home with our tails between our legs, we had to get yanks to bail us out , Iranians steal our boats and then we have the sailors crying for their ipod's. Bring back dad's Army.
  • Options

FIRE STOPPER .. I think you may have a reading problem.. when have I ever said we should have a fullscale invasion of anywhere and where in the debate on Thursday was it mentioned as part of one of the two motions..
    We have effectively given a lunatic the option to kill as many peope as he wants to kill in order to stay in power and we have told him and the rest of the world that the UK will stand by and watch... are you happy about that?.. because that is what you and your leftie pals have done.

Your solution is that we kill some more of them then , given previous accuracy that would make us worse than Assad, get a grip on reality.
  • Options
    MG ..Yes please.
  • Options

If you're so concerned about the threats to the Falklands and Gibraltar then why have you supported defence cuts ?

But don't worry we're now an 'Aid Superpower' so we could threaten Spain and Argentina with cuts to the money Cameron gives them.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2013
    Plato said:

I'm finding it intriguing that phrases like *isolationism* are being bandied about - not intervening in another's civil war isn't isolationist.

Surely it's a continuum, not an absolute term. We intervened in Libya's civil war. We are not (currently) going to intervene in Syria's. That can be seen as more isolationist. Or it could be seen as consistent - we had good cause in Libya, we don't in Syria; we could do some good in Libya, we can't in Syria.

• Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2013

You're advocating regime change. That ain't gonna happen by missile strike alone. I haven't done anything-I don't think me posting on here has any effect on foreign policy, and I'm pretty certain Obama doesn't take much notice of me.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    AR .. Please post where I have supported defence cuts..quite the opposite .
  • Options
    @Plato

"..... not intervening in another's civil war isn't isolationist."

It isn't often that I find myself agreeing with your posts but this seems so self evident that it shouldn't need saying and yet hardly any of the Tories on this board seem to get it.
  • Options
    Fire Stopper.. keep up with the reading lessons, I have never advocated regime change, just telling a nutter to stop nerve gassing his own people. As we, the UK, and others are pledged to do.. we have abdicated our responsibilty and destroyed our moral courage.
    Thanks ED..well done
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Shocked Face

"THE BBC has hired one of Tony Blair’s former spin chiefs to help rebuild its reputation in the wake of recent scandals.

Godric Smith was the Labour prime minister’s official spokesman between 2001 and 2004 and then head of strategic communications until 2006. He was a key figure at No 10 when the Hutton inquiry claimed the scalps of Gavyn Davies, then the BBC chairman, and Greg Dyke, then its director-general. Smith is understood to have secured a contract worth at least £100,000 with the BBC division now headed by James Purnell, the former Labour cabinet minister.

The appointment is likely to raise questions about cronyism at the corporation. Informed sources said Incorporated London, the public relations agency co-founded by Smith in April, was hired without a formal tender, sparking an internal row about which department should pay his fee. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1308054.ece
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Hague coming up on Sky.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

@Doddy

Have you got Tourettes? You keep repeating the same post every ten minutes or so....

I believe the medical term for this condition is "Timettes Syndrome"

This particular condition also manifests itself in other related ways.

A need to pretend detailed knowledge of every subject

A need to profess your (supposed) intellectual superiority over any poster not of your political tribe.

A need to attack and attempt to belittle other posters, especially Tory females, if you can lump an accusation of racism in, so much the better.

Complain ad nauseum about other posters using the same tactics that you do.

An overwhelming need to misrepresent the views of other posters.

and last but not least when they get really stressed about losing an argument they keep shouting "I will offer you evens" for some strange reason not fully understood by medical science
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Plato

"..... not intervening in another's civil war isn't isolationist."

It isn't often that I find myself agreeing with your posts but this seems so self evident that it shouldn't need saying and yet hardly any of the Tories on this board seem to get it.

To be fair, a fair few do. Most of the others seem to see the whole issue as a stick with which to beat Ed Miliband and Labour.
  • Options
    Plato said:

A bizarre person if even 10% of this is true - Fred Goodwin http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/features/article1307334.ece
    “Even a very close friend was on the receiving end of a dressing-down. David Thorburn, a Clydesdale district manager, had been best man at Goodwin’s wedding. At a management “away day” Goodwin asked him, in front of fellow executives, why he had moved a statue in one of the Aberdeen branches............ He was much more fixated on subjects such as the cleanliness of branches, ordering a mass tidy-up across the Clydesdale. He took to mounting patrols, springing surprise inspections on unsuspecting staff. The alleged scruffiness of the branches became a particularly vexed question.

Not surprised Plato. From one of your former companies. One former CEO of Mercury used to patrol the offices at night leaving notes on those who left their desks untidy, another issued instructions to the sale force not to drink with clients even when entertaining them at events. Another one prior to becoming Mercury CEO issued an instruction to their senior Managers not to put a computer terminal on their desk, back in the day when computing was starting to reach desktops in mid-80s. Another chap whilst CEO of a £1bn turnover had his secy control every taxi booking by phone.

The syndrome of focusing on what they can cope with?
  • Options
    @Floater LOL
  • Options

AR .. Please post where I have supported defence cuts..quite the opposite .

My mistake RD.

I just didn't remember you engaging in such overwrought frothing about Cameron's defence cuts as you are now about those unwilling to support bombing the enemies of Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    Good morning my fellow, though less intellectually endowed, PBers!

This morning I was awoken by Timmy, my butler, as he buttered my croissants I ejaculated "where were the morning papers?." Thunderstruck, I tore my blankets asunder, and put on my slacks to march into the village. As I passed, folk stopped and turned eager to pass on their views, from the church, the vicar shuffled down to spread his news, old maids cycling to the bordello hailed me. All had the same message, all struck the same cord, with a unity of purpose "Rodger, only you know, only you are worthy, you were right all along." And now I am here to pass on my beneficence to you all.

On Syria, I am right, I have always been right and by the power of grayskull I will always be right. Now bend over I have toast to make!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Obamas change of heart was a suprise to his closest aids:

After a week of intensive planning with his political, diplomatic and military aides for a strike on Syria, U.S. President Barack Obama surprised even his closest advisers with a last-minute change-of-heart.

The decision to seek authorization from Congress was the president’s alone, a step that none of the four congressional leaders had asked for and none of his national security advisers had recommended, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the president’s thinking.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-01/obama-surprises-top-aides-with-request-for-congress-ok.html

Even his closest supporters are beginning to question Obamas constant dithering: feel that the USA lost 'face' in the world yesterday.
  • Options

Plato said:

A bizarre person if even 10% of this is true - Fred Goodwin http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/newsreview/features/article1307334.ece
    “Even a very close friend was on the receiving end of a dressing-down. David Thorburn, a Clydesdale district manager, had been best man at Goodwin’s wedding. At a management “away day” Goodwin asked him, in front of fellow executives, why he had moved a statue in one of the Aberdeen branches............ He was much more fixated on subjects such as the cleanliness of branches, ordering a mass tidy-up across the Clydesdale. He took to mounting patrols, springing surprise inspections on unsuspecting staff. The alleged scruffiness of the branches became a particularly vexed question.

Not surprised Plato. From one of your former companies. One former CEO of Mercury used to patrol the offices at night leaving notes on those who left their desks untidy, another issued instructions to the sale force not to drink with clients even when entertaining them at events. Another one prior to becoming Mercury CEO issued an instruction to their senior Managers not to put a computer terminal on their desk, back in the day when computing was starting to reach desktops in mid-80s. Another chap whilst CEO of a £1bn turnover had his secy control every taxi booking by phone.

The syndrome of focusing on what they can cope with?
    Indeed - I worked for a CEO who also made his PA approve every stationery order. We were told ordering two bottles of Tippex was excessive as the probability of two office staff using Tippex at the same time was very low. He used to be an accountant as well.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    PB in full Hodges mode today. The 10% lead is a disaster for Ed and shows how the narrative has turned against him. Then quotes those bastions of independence The Mail,The Sun, The Telegraph and The Times.....only on PB.
  • Options
    Maybe we should just post a nice card, maybe with a pic of the HOC and a polite message to Assad requesting he stop being beastly to some of his citizens..that should do the trick..
    We could get another one ready to send down to Argentina too.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    If Cameron had any doubts about what a low life Milliband is, they've all gone now. Government does have lots of things stacked in its favour and historically the opposition its helped to oppose through some advanced notifications etc. This will stop.
    Milliband and co now have 18 months to go to the election with Cameron responding to being stitched up this week for labour party reasons.
    There has been a real edge to the Tories over the summer. Its now going to be extremely personal against Milliband and unlike the past with Crosby & Co around, Cameron has the team that can deliver.
    Milliband totally deserves the brown smelly stuff that's going to be poured on top of him.
  • Options
  • Options
    Roger said:

I dont want to lose my reputation for being the worst tipster on here but the enormous +6 in Labour's fortunes was predicted by me after lunch and before the evening vote. I said it would make as big a difference to the polling as Osborne's budget. ...The point to learn is that Mike has gathererd in this community of political anoraks a very skewed sample. Tories were being booed on 'Any Questions'. ........ Yet none of the blue notes on here saw it. .....

Roger, I am not a prolific poster on here, but I have posted several posts the day after and yesterday saying what a shambles this was but that the outcome may be beneficial for the country. As I have also been labelled a pb tory or similar stuff, I do want to challenge your "none of the blue" assertion.

Clearly the Yougov poll should be expected and last week has in the short term made EdM safer and Cameron in more danger of being replaced. As to the whisperings under EdM, unless they could unite with Unite * Unison, EdM is safe. And it seems highly unlikely that Blairites and the Unions can find common ground.
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    Are those advocating that we should no longer be a world policeman also advocating that we give up our UN security council seat? Because we have no right to that seat if we aren't going to be a police man.
  • Options
    AR...you might remeber me arguing fervently for the retention and commisioning of the new Trident Submarines, I think we we need them now more than ever as we have shown the world how morally weak we have become as a nation.
  • Options

Fire Stopper.. keep up with the reading lessons, I have never advocated regime change, just telling a nutter to stop nerve gassing his own people. As we, the UK, and others are pledged to do.. we have abdicated our responsibilty and destroyed our moral courage.
    Thanks ED..well done

Richard, stop with the insults, it's the internet, it's doesn't serve any purpose.

We just have different opinions, that's all. I think you're mistaken in thinking that bombing Syria will stop Assad, and even Obama realises this now.
    Aren't you tired of war? I know I am, and so are the many family and friends I have in the forces. They are jaded by 12 years of the War on Terror, and need a break. We have to find another way to solve the many problems of the Middle East. Chemical weapons do need a reaction, but a half arsed bombing campaign isn't that reaction.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@SMukesh

"The Sun has lost the biggest percentage of it`s readers amongst the papers."

The Sun don't have readers. They just look at pictures.

From their science correspondent.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01392/19perfectbreasts_1392319a.jpg

I do love the way you look down at the working class.

If only everyone were like that nice Mr Assad and his charming wife eh Roger?

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

FPT: Mr. T, does look like a suitably spooky spot.
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Are those advocating that we should no longer be a world policeman also advocating that we give up our UN security council seat? Because we have no right to that seat if we aren't going to be a police man.

China has a seat for its police work in Tibet.
    Russia has a seat for its police work in Chechyna.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    My 1939 Diary.
    September 1st 1939.

My father started to put sticky paper tape on all the windows, later my uncle Harry came round to help. I am riding my new 3 wheel bike up and down the street. It was a present for my 5th birthday.

The Barrage Balloon on Stoke Newington Common went up this morning, an excercise I suppose. I went to watch the machine pump gas into the balloon but a girl in uniform shooed me off.

(to be continued)
  • Options

The second most interesting aspect of the last 24 hours for me (after Obama's decision to go to Congress) has been seeing how aggressively the Conservatives have been counter-briefing. ............ A four point increase for Labour and MOE decline for the Conservatves in a weekly YouGov was probably about the best the Conservatives would have hoped for ...... The other light on the horizon for Cameron is that the US now seems less likely to strike. .................. The greatest risk for Cameron remains the possibility of a move against him ......

I agree with almost all your points Flockers and recommend that everyone reads the full content.
    I only disagree with the "lemmings label". Cameron has swollen that tendency through his choice and Osborne's choice, of appointments and actions.
  • Options
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Saw that on Sky News this morning, that boulder actually tips towards the car before falling back. I want that blokes lottery numbers.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Fire Stopper... Doing nothing when dealing with this problem is not really an option No one is saying we should "Lob" rockets into anywhere but we have now taken even the threat of it away.
    Only insane people like war and unfortunately that part of the world is a constant source of it, war has a nasty habit of being contagious, better to nip it in the bud than let it get near home.
    Syria has naval ports on the med, they are that close to us.
    Last Thursday we stepped away from even saying stop it..
    Weak and cowardly behaviour , and Ed brought it about.
    We will never again be relied on to keep our word in a crisis.
  • Options

AR...you might remeber me arguing fervently for the retention and commisioning of the new Trident Submarines, I think we we need them now more than ever as we have shown the world how morally weak we have become as a nation.

Saddam Hussein gassed and killed 5,000 of his citizens in 1988. Can you remind me what action the-then Conservative government took over that?

• Options
    SO .. So that makes it ok now then does it? .. strange logic even by your bizarres standards.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2013
    @Tim

'
  • Options
    Just for @TCPoliticalBetting from the Queen of Mean Camilla Long

"The Yahoo CEO is a flinty-faced tech tornadoette with a clipboard bob and two degrees, who recently revealed the extraordinary nano-fiddlings of her life as Fortune magazine’s 14th most powerful businesswoman. This includes a strange technique at parties that she calls her “CEO exit”: a cold and mysterious vanishing act in which she leaves silently and secretly and without saying goodbye, even if she is throwing the party herself. She “disappears upstairs” until the guests have gone, because she is “awkward” and “shy” and “geeky” (or as someone else might put it “rude” and “bored”).

She has learnt that if she stays for at least 15 minutes, she might end up having fun. But if she still isn’t happy after 15 minutes, she whispers to herself: “You can leave,” and goes. This is in addition to her eight office cardigans by Oscar de la Renta and her obsession with numbers (her favourite is 12), her husband, Zack, who looks as if he’s been bought off a rack, and the fact that she once made a spreadsheet for cupcakes: “She doesn’t really like cupcakes,” barfs Zack unconvincingly. (She made a second one for icing.) >> http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/CamillaLong/article1305372.ece
  • Options
    Plato - Indeed, just breaking now, a sad loss http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23920336
  • Options

Fire Stopper... Doing nothing when dealing with this problem is not really an option No one is saying we should "Lob" rockets into anywhere but we have now taken even the threat of it away.
    Only insane people like war and unfortunately that part of the world is a constant source of it, war has a nasty habit of being contagious, better to nip it in the bud than let it get near home.
    Syria has naval ports on the med, they are that close to us.
    Last Thursday we stepped away from even saying stop it..
    Weak and cowardly behaviour , and Ed brought it about.
    We will never again be relied on to keep our word in a crisis.

I don't understand what you're advocating then. Is it bombing, is it full scale regime change? What do you want to achieve?
    And calling me morally weak is a bit rich, coming from a guy agreeing with Tony Blair!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    @'AR

"China has a seat for its police work in Tibet.
    Russia has a seat for its police work in Chechyna."

Or maybe they took their police work further would we be comfortable if China decided to bomb Damascus or Russia Tripoli......
  • Options
    I'm finding these spoof accounts posting on here a bit tedious. That "Rodger" one ain't even funny.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited September 2013
    ''Quotes those bastions of independence The Mail,The Sun, The Telegraph and The Times.....only on PB.''

Fair enough - What other mass circulation papers are there? There's the Mirror I suppose. Don;t know what that august organs take on events is.

The Guardian and indie are preaching to a tiny circle of the converted anyway.

The Indie doesn't have a readership, more a collection of unfit people who can't run away quickly enough when it is offered to them free.

Mike merely suggested the media might be turning against Dave, and I pointed out that so far, that isn't true.
  • Options

SO .. So that makes it ok now then does it? .. strange logic even by your bizarres standards.

No, it makes your claim that as a result of last Thursday's vote "we have abdicated our responsibilty and destroyed our moral courage" utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    @Tim

'Looks like William would've walked, and probably should've walked'

Blair,Straw and how many others in the cabinet should have resigned after the Iraq lies?

As we all know their dossier for war had the same level of credibility as comical Ali the Iraq minister for Information.

And yet zero resignations?
  • Options
    Playing to the end

Dan Wootton @danwootton
    @Channel4News: Sir David Frost died on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth cruise ship where he was giving a speech, his family confirms #c4news”
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Can anyone explain PaddyPower's recent reopening of the 'LDs to poll 14% before 2014 (YouGov)' market? They closed it months ago and have now reopened it...with longer odds on them not achieving it. Apparently it was 11/10 that they'd hit 14% if you bet in January, but with only 3 months left the odds are now 15/8. They've maybe gained a point in the polls since them, but I don't get it. Surely there's only a quarter of the chances left?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Sorry, that should be 11/10 that they wouldn't hit 14% in January, now 15/8 that they won't.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2013
    Plato said:

Just for @TCPoliticalBetting from the Queen of Mean Camilla Long "The Yahoo CEO is a flinty-faced tech tornadoette with a clipboard bob and two degrees, who recently revealed the extraordinary nano-fiddlings of her life as Fortune magazine’s 14th most powerful businesswoman. This includes a strange technique at parties that she calls her “CEO exit”: a cold and mysterious vanishing act in which she leaves silently and secretly and without saying goodbye, .............and the fact that she once made a spreadsheet for cupcakes.... >> http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/CamillaLong/article1305372.ece

Plato, wonderful stuff, thanks. Clearly people must sell their Yahoo shares.
  • Options
    Speaking of the Indy

RT @callummay: The Independent's picture desk: where the Reformation never happened (via @TellyDubby): pic.twitter.com/KzWPuVEtbx < LOL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTEkAlpCYAA8K5Q.jpg:large
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2013
    MikeK said:

My 1939 Diary. September 1st 1939. My father started to put sticky paper tape on all the windows, later my uncle Harry came round to help. I am riding my new 3 wheel bike up and down the street. It was a present for my 5th birthday. The Barrage Balloon on Stoke Newington Common went up this morning, an excercise ........

Mike, I know UKIP supporters are older than most but this puts you above the UKIP average and rivalling Jack.
  • Options
    Some truly comical stuff in the MoS today, absolutely desperate to spin it round back to Cameron's urgently needed help. "Obama has paid Cameron the highest complimentof all " , "Miliband may have encouraged Argentina over Falklands", "Special relationship stronger than ever".
  • Options
    Plato said:

Playing to the end

Dan Wootton @danwootton
    @Channel4News: Sir David Frost died on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth cruise ship where he was giving a speech, his family confirms #c4news”

I know I shouldn't really. but...

Mildly amusing that his family felt the need to clarify that he was "giving a speech" rather than he had booked a cruise...

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Moral strength or weakness has nothing to do with how big a stick you (can afford to) carry. Would you have described Gandhi as morally weak?

• Options

Some truly comical stuff in the MoS today, absolutely desperate to spin it round back to Cameron's urgently needed help. "Obama has paid Cameron the highest complimentof all " , "Miliband may have encouraged Argentina over Falklands", "Special relationship stronger than ever".

Give it a rest. It'd be surprising if a political party didn't spin things the way they want.

• Options
    It's a not a political party. It's the greater part of the press, whose position is in trouble.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    RedRag1 said:

PB in full Hodges mode today. The 10% lead is a disaster for Ed and shows how the narrative has turned against him. Then quotes those bastions of independence The Mail,The Sun, The Telegraph and The Times.....only on PB.

Loving the name change, Ash.

Any further thoughts on what that parrot was pining for?

• Options
    *it's not*. even.
  • Options

It's a not a political party. It's the greater part of the press, whose position is in trouble.

Like I said, political parties, spinning things how they want, via their friendly press.. Why are you upset about it? Do you get weepy when the Guardian, or Mirror or Observer spin for Labour?

• Options
    Interesting little factoid - someone mentioned emigration on FPT http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3856883.ece

"Britain is suffering a drain of “squeezed-middle” grafters who are heading overseas to seek new job opportunities, a survey has found. Thousands of British strivers are turning their backs on the country to move abroad to live and work. Australia is the most popular destination.

A poll of expatriates and those seeking visas found that almost 40 per cent were skilled technicians, with a further 23 per cent self-employed. Almost 90 per cent were earning less than £50,000 and almost half were earning less than £20,000.

Dominic Raab, Conservative MP for Esher and Walton, said: “This new data highlights the pressures facing middle-income families. “We have a Boeing 747 of Britons leaving the country every day, most self-employed or skilled workers, and most saying they don’t plan to return.”
  • Options

Like I said, political parties, spinning things how they want, via their friendly press.. Why are you upset about it? Do you get weepy when the Guardian, or Mirror or Observer spin for Labour?

It's a not a day for longstanding sympathisers of Miliband to be upset, I can assure you, dear boy. The reaction to the predicament of the press, with their long-term narrative on cameron and miliband, is one of amusement.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    YouGov Sunday Times Poll, Labour gets it first double digit lead since 12/7

As predicted by me -

My post from August 29th

It wouldn't surprise me if labour will be on plus 10 point leads again after camerons old grand duke of York performance over Syria.

He had miliband been Questioned on his leadership by his own party,now he be proberly cheered at the party conference.

Cameron ran away with him self over Syria and should have been more cautious like where we our now on the matter knowing he was also in coalition without a con majority.
  • Options

The beauty of the system is that the 46 people who have to send in letters can all have different people in mind

EiT,

This is the fourth day you have posted this type of comment. Can I assure you that the underlying message has been read, comprehended and that there is no need for you to repeat it for the rest of the week.

Yours &c.,
    I've posted on a couple of different angles on this but I don't think I've yet mentioned that it only takes 46 guys to set off a no-confidence vote? I'll try to cover this in future posts.
  • Options
    yet again an extra *a*. Some extra stimulants needed today, I feel.
  • Options
    Another one of those laws that aren't used like FGM.

"Only a “fraction” of stalkers have been convicted since it became a criminal offence, an advice service for victims has said.

Data from 30 police forces showed that only six people have been jailed for stalking since it was made a criminal offence last November.

A total of 320 people have been arrested for stalking across all 30 forces, 189 of whom were charged, freedom of information figures showed. Of that number, 27 were given community sentences. The figures compare to data from the British Crime Survey suggesting that 120,000 people are stalked each year, most of whom are vulnerable women. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3857491.ece
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

The beauty of the system is that the 46 people who have to send in letters can all have different people in mind

EiT,

This is the fourth day you have posted this type of comment. Can I assure you that the underlying message has been read, comprehended and that there is no need for you to repeat it for the rest of the week.

Yours &c.,
    I've posted on a couple of different angles on this but I don't think I've yet mentioned that it only takes 46 guys to set off a no-confidence vote? I'll try to cover this in future posts.
    Fair to say you touched a nerve there.It`ll be funny when Cameron does get his p45,the PB brigade,Dan Hodges and Daily Mail spinning it as bad for Ed Miliband.

• Options
    Charles said:

Plato said:

Playing to the end

Dan Wootton @danwootton

I know I shouldn't really. but...

Mildly amusing that his family felt the need to clarify that he was "giving a speech" rather than he had booked a cruise...

I am very surprised he was just 74. I had imagined he was a lot older.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

If you're so concerned about the threats to the Falklands and Gibraltar then why have you supported defence cuts ?

But don't worry we're now an 'Aid Superpower' so we could threaten Spain and Argentina with cuts to the money Cameron gives them.

It's not so much how much military you've got but are you willing to use it. I don't share the depth of a_r's concerns but he does have a point.

• Options
    "The Groaniad website has lots of visitors but they tend to click-and-go, and of course the Guardian does not charge ANYTHING for digital content. When you give something away for free, people will always take it, then treat it as worthless - cf the free papers discarded on the Tube."

Aren't the Telegraph blogs free to access?

The Guardian is not meant to be a profit-making business, so it has a lot more time than it would otherwise have to develop a strategy to keep itself going. Getting a few million reads a month is a decent place from which to start. And the various pay-to-view experiments are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of helping to decide what works best.
  • Options
    @SO The DT is free for 20 clicks then behind paywall.
  • Options
    Is there anyone he didn't meet?

"The Prime Minister said:

My heart goes out to Carina and the family. Sir David was an extraordinary man - with charm, wit, talent, intelligence and warmth in equal measure. He made a huge impact on television and politics. The Nixon interviews were among the great broadcast moments - but there were many other brilliant interviews. He could be - and certainly was with me - both a friend and a fearsome interviewer."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-statement-on-the-death-of-sir-david-frost

David Frost and Alan Whicker...

• Options
    Fire Stopper.. Please tell me and show where I have ever agreed with Tony Blair ..I think the man is a total tosser..He lied about WMD to everyone or have you forgotten that..
  • Options
    Plato said:

I seem to be able to get it permanently. Strange.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Plato said:

Another one of those laws that aren't used like FGM.

"Only a “fraction” of stalkers have been convicted since it became a criminal offence, an advice service for victims has said.

Data from 30 police forces showed that only six people have been jailed for stalking since it was made a criminal offence last November.

A total of 320 people have been arrested for stalking across all 30 forces, 189 of whom were charged, freedom of information figures showed. Of that number, 27 were given community sentences. The figures compare to data from the British Crime Survey suggesting that 120,000 people are stalked each year, most of whom are vulnerable women. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3857491.ece

I don't agree with the comparison. Stalking is one of those issues which is partly defined by the law because people's intuition of what is and isn't either acceptable or should be illegal (rather than merely frowned upon) varies. But you'd be damned to say the same thing about FGM.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/10278855/Syria-Ed-Miliband-has-angered-American-and-European-leaders-over-Syria-claims-Hague.html

Tories continue to be nasty to awesome Ed

Off topic met Sir Bob Russell recently and both I and my wife were really, really impressed with him, both in terms of his understanding of the issue we discussed with him and the support offered.

I had dealings with another MP a couple of years back and this really was a case of chalk and cheese.

• Options

Plato said:

I seem to be able to get it permanently. Strange.

I can get it at work absolutely no problem.

At home though I have to swap browsers to get around it :-)

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria Updates:

Damascus Intl Airport announced closed to civilian traffic until further notice. Assad forces moved out of a number of locations within and around the environs to the airport. Others are digging in. Can the insurgents take any advantage? They got within 1-2km of the airport perimeter before and are still not too far away.

Perhaps not unconnected to US strikes, insurgents launched attacks on two airfields and their associated garrisons in the sparse rural expanse of the country over the last 72 hours, perhaps to attempt to render them unusable as temporary asset dispersion locations.

Attention turns to the Arab League meeting today. Remains to be seen how players there respond to the Obama U-turn and also his clearly directed comment about private support being made public. If they step up and agreed to specific US led action it would be handy. Alternatively many members might just conclude Obama is a blow-hard with no bottle and decide to accelerate their own indirect measures which had often been paused or reduced under US pressure.

Lebanese President says no to strikes in Syria. Unsurorising, Lebanon has already suffered spillover and will suffer more. In fact depending on the scope of any proposed US action his country might be more directly effected in the fallout than Syria.
  • Options
    David Frost..RIP.. a great inquisitor.and all round nice man. I remember shooting a doco on Israel with him which culminated in an interview with Menachim Begin in the Knesset.
    .Great stuff
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @Floater

'Tories continue to be nasty to awesome Ed'

At least its ensured that the Weasel will continue to be Labour leader,after the summer he's had that could have been in doubt.
This discussion has been closed.