Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This tweet epitomises why betting on Donald Trump related mark

13»

Comments

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:
    Intelligent contribution to the debate.
    Only consistent with the kind of person Boris is.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    Moore is unpopular for a Republican in Alabama, (Trump won the State by 28%, whereas Moore was leading by about 10%, prior to the story breaking). But, I think he'll still win, for the reasons given by TSE. Despite this poll, three others conducted after the story put him narrowly ahead.
    It's terrible, sad and utterly depressing that the US and the UK are so polarised. There is nothing anyone can do about it because as long as we have Trump and Brexit and such populist claptrap..... nationalism, bigotry, racism, misogyny and vile hatred will all thrive. It is all akin to a teacher encouraging bullying in the playground.
    The so-called Culture Wars were started by the left in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't think anyone disputes that.
    I dispute that.

I once wrote a piece arguing the American culture wars began in earnest in 1925 by religious conservatives with the Butler Act.
    Lol - I must remember to use the phrase "I don't think anyone disputes that" in some of my posts. As in: the Tories are completely shite, I don't think anyone disputes that.
    Labour are completely shite. I don't think anyone disputes that.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    Moore is unpopular for a Republican in Alabama, (Trump won the State by 28%, whereas Moore was leading by about 10%, prior to the story breaking). But, I think he'll still win, for the reasons given by TSE. Despite this poll, three others conducted after the story put him narrowly ahead.
    It's terrible, sad and utterly depressing that the US and the UK are so polarised. There is nothing anyone can do about it because as long as we have Trump and Brexit and such populist claptrap..... nationalism, bigotry, racism, misogyny and vile hatred will all thrive. It is all akin to a teacher encouraging bullying in the playground.
    The so-called Culture Wars were started by the left in the 1960s and 1970s. I don't think anyone disputes that.
    I dispute that.

I once wrote a piece arguing the American culture wars began in earnest in 1925 by religious conservatives with the Butler Act.
    The phrase comes from 1800s Germany.
    It does, but I was talking about the modern Anglo-American centric culture wars.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,737
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm not sure Boris is capable of reflection.
  • Options

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    I dispute that.

It does, but I was talking about the modern Anglo-American centric culture wars.
    PB descending into a Culture Wars War ??
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,535
    edited November 2017

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Are you saying Boris is a vampire?
  • Options

PB's already had its culture war between the forces of goodness and light who think pineapple on pizza is the worst abomination in human history and the freaks who enjoy pineapple on pizza.
  • Options

It turns out that fruit and veg don't pick themselves. Who knew?

https://twitter.com/ProfAFinlayson/status/929801925167591426

Surely, the market will correct this automatically?

If the farmers can't get them picked on current wages, they will lose all their money, and make nothing.

They will either invest in machinery to automate picking, or pay higher wages to attract labour, and get them sold at either lower margins, or slightly higher prices, or, will decide to plant a more profitable crop next year, or decide there's a more profitable use for the land than mass horticulture.

When the economic climate changes, business changes.
    Not to mention that there was over a quarter of a million more immigrants employed in the UK in 2017 then there was in 2016.

Or approximately a million and a half more employed immigrants than there was five years ago.

So no shortage of immigrants to pick carrots but very probably an unwillingness to pay fair wages.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    I dispute that.

I'd argue then that the roots are in Britain's gaining of Quebec and the extreme negative reaction of the 13 colonies to the attempts of the British empire to incorporate the majority Catholic population into the fabric of the continent.

Radically progressive ideas such as treating Catholics like real people with rights did not go down well in the rest of American soil.

The American Revolution, the original Culture War.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Are you saying Boris is a vampire.
    Murali's "Perhaps Boris should reflect on that" seems to have disappeared, making my post even more irrelevant than my usual standard :disappointed:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'd argue then that the roots are in Britain's gaining of Quebec and the extreme negative reaction of the 13 colonies to the attempts of the British empire to incorporate the majority Catholic population into the fabric of the continent.

Radically progressive ideas such as treating Catholics like real people with rights did not go down well in the rest of American soil.

That's a very interesting idea, I need to reflect on that before I give a proper response.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

PB's already had its culture war between the forces of goodness and light who think pineapple on pizza is the worst abomination in human history and the freaks who enjoy pineapple on pizza.

I heard on the radio today that candidates for induction into the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame this year include

a. Depeche Mode

b. Radiohead

One of these is long overdue, and would right an unquestionable wrong. The other signals the end of civilisation
  • Options

Fair point - Let me declare myself a devout Remainer - pineapple should Remain well away from pizza.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2017

Alistair said:

That's a very interesting idea, I need to reflect on that before I give a proper response.
    To save you time the proper response is "Yes Alistair, you are correct."

Edit: more seriously the Quebec Act was part of the Intolerable Acts post Boston tea party.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

JFC even if she was training journalists (the horror) Boris shouldn't be confirming that in public.

Wiki entry is interesting and Boris misspoke. However the story on Gove today is just poor journalism. I heard Gove's interview with Marr and his comments were nowhere near that which are being reported.

Have we ever had such superficial crass media reporting than we are seeing now. I do wonder if the public have far more common sense than some in the media think otherwise TM and the conservatives would be 15-20% down in the polls.

We all deserve better more honest and balanced journalism
    "misspoke" is the most weaselly word in the English language, except that it isn't really in the English language.
    Did I spell it right ?
    Not so much that he misspoke, it was a jawbone malfunction.
    No it was Boris dare I say being Boris and that is why he will not lead the party
    Hey Nazanin, stop yer snivelling, it's just Boris being Boris.
    When her husband calls for Boris to go then it will be serious for him but he has specifically said tonight he wants Boris to stay so I would suggest the political point scoring is inappropriate at this time
    Whether he goes or not isn't really the point.

The man often comes across as a caddish rogue, and it can be laughed away with a 'Boris will be Boris' quip. This time the post-gaffe manoeuvring has been unusually distasteful. Bearing in mind what it must be like in a Tehran prison the distinct lack of humanity is dreadful.

Boris's is so casual he has turned a bad situation into an embarrassing diplomatic crisis. He should be on the next plane to Tehran to be seen to sort this fiasco out. Then he should resign!

I suppose what it boils down to is which is more important, the liberty and maybe life of some random woman or the career prospects of a statesman who considers himself to be of potentially Churchillian stature!
    Quite frankly that is over the top - I am sure Boris means no harm to her and will use his best efforts to get her home. It has become too political
    Big_G, at what point, if any, do you think Boris should have to pay for his stupendous ineptitude?
    He has lost all hope of the leadership so he will pay the price when the next leadership challenge takes place. He is just hopeless
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That says more about the poster than Boris
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2017
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    I dispute that.

The Atlantic revolution with America and French revolutions was only a rehash of the 17th Century British civil wars...

In it's modern form though Culture War emerged as a term to outline political fissures in attitudes in the 1990's post cold war liberal capitalist countries. As such Brexit is a classic manifestation of Culture War. It is an argument over values conducted by the mutually incomprehending factions.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

JFC even if she was training journalists (the horror) Boris shouldn't be confirming that in public.

Have we ever had such superficial crass media reporting than we are seeing now. I do wonder if the public have far more common sense than some in the media think otherwise TM and the conservatives would be 15-20% down in the polls.

"misspoke" is the most weaselly word in the English language, except that it isn't really in the English language.
    Did I spell it right ?
    No it was Boris dare I say being Boris and that is why he will not lead the party
    When her husband calls for Boris to go then it will be serious for him but he has specifically said tonight he wants Boris to stay so I would suggest the political point scoring is inappropriate at this time

The man often comes across as a caddish rogue, and it can be laughed away with a 'Boris will be Boris' quip. This time the post-gaffe manoeuvring has been unusually distasteful. Bearing in mind what it must be like in a Tehran prison the distinct lack of humanity is dreadful.

Boris's is so casual he has turned a bad situation into an embarrassing diplomatic crisis. He should be on the next plane to Tehran to be seen to sort this fiasco out. Then he should resign!

I suppose what it boils down to is which is more important, the liberty and maybe life of some random woman or the career prospects of a statesman who considers himself to be of potentially Churchillian stature!
    Quite frankly that is over the top - I am sure Boris means no harm to her and will use his best efforts to get her home. It has become too political
    Big_G, at what point, if any, do you think Boris should have to pay for his stupendous ineptitude?
    He has lost all hope of the leadership so he will pay the price when the next leadership challenge takes place. He is just hopeless
    So you're ok with Britain having a 'hopeless' Foreign Secretary?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Let me work in a way to blame the French, and I'll be agreeing with you.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Though I can't deny it's comic theatre at its best watching Boris and his fellow bumbling idiot Gove looking ridiculous on all the news channels I do think it would be harsh if one or both were sacked.

The damage this duo have done to this country in the last two years is beyond anything any British politician has managed since the last war. To be fired for a genuine accident would be farcical
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    I dispute that.

The Atlantic revolution with America and French revolutions was only a rehash of the 17th Century British civil wars...

In it's modern form though Culture War emerged as a term to outline political fissures in attitudes in the 1990's post cold war liberal capitalist countries. As such Brexit is a classic manifestation of Culture War. It is an argument over values conducted by the mutually incomprehending factions.
    Sounds just like PB tbh.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    So...
    How many people are left on the site still thinking this is an effective, good government?
    I'm *not* asking about Labour. No squirrels, no "Brexit is everything anyway", be honest.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Let me work in a way to blame the French, and I'll be agreeing with you.
    Could I suggest that the St Bartholomews Day Massacre? A classic culture war event, sparking off the flight of the Huguenots. Both factions were French, though obviously the Royalists were in the wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew's_Day_massacre
  • Options

So you're ok with Britain having a 'hopeless' Foreign Secretary?

Ben - we are presntly blessed with many hopeless politicians on both sides and the debate is polarised between remain and leave. We are right - no we are right - is the constant mantra.

Lets see if Boris gets her home but all this political discourse is only helping the Iranians, sadly
  • Options
    Evening all. Quiet weekend, I see.

Regarding Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, I believe that she has dual Iranian-British nationality.

So it's a bit odd that the UK government is taking an interest in her case:

As a dual national you can’t get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.

For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you can’t get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China.

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
  • Options
    Freggles said:

So...
    How many people are left on the site still thinking this is an effective, good government?
    I'm *not* asking about Labour. No squirrels, no "Brexit is everything anyway", be honest.

Of course not - it is conflicted over Brexit and so is the Country and until some light appears at the end of the tunnel it will continue woth little change
  • Options

Regarding Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, I believe that she has dual Iranian-British nationality.

As a dual national you can’t get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.

For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you can’t get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China.

Well, she certainly didn't get any help from Boris. But where's the bit that says ...Indeed, the Foreign Secretary is very likely to put his foot in it and make your situation much worse.?
  • Options

That's interesting. So the probability is that she WAS up to something but Boris and Gove weren't in the loop
  • Options
    Freggles said:

So...

It's an unholy mess, but seems to be getting on with day-to-day government quite well, and in particulare economic management seems pretty good. On its main challenge of Brexit, the mess is considerable, but that is largely because of the impossibility of the brief which the electorate have given it; no-one seems to have any coherent suggestion of what it is supposed to be doing wrong.

Of course, minority governments are never good, so why is anyone surprised?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Roger said:

That's interesting. So the probability is that she WAS up to something but Boris and Gove weren't in the loop
    You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment...but google is your friend.

It is quite clear that rather than not in the loop, they are very much in it. Gove gave the correct diplomatic answer, Boris didn't.
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

Of course not - it is conflicted over Brexit and so is the Country and until some light appears at the end of the tunnel it will continue woth little change
    The light at the end of the tunnel is Labour, I don't think anyone disputes that.

:wink:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    FFS - is there nothing more important happening for the DM to burst a blood vessel over?!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The light at the end of the tunnel is Labour, I don't think anyone disputes that.

The light at the end of the tunnel, as any fule kno, is the oncoming train...
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

I think you may find 40% at present would dispute that Ben
  • Options
    Roger said:

If she was indeed one of our spooks then it is particularly important to stick to the cover story, as any fule kno.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    FFS - is there nothing more important happening for the DM to burst a blood vessel over?!
    +1
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

Indeed, but as we go on through the tunnel that light's only going to get bigger. Unfortunately, it looks as though the tunnel may be 5 years long :disappointed:
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

It's an unholy mess, but seems to be getting on with day-to-day government quite well, and in particulare economic management seems pretty good. On its main challenge of Brexit, the mess is considerable, but that is largely because of the impossibility of the brief which the electorate have given it; no-one seems to have any coherent suggestion of what it is supposed to be doing wrong.

Of course, minority governments are never good, so why is anyone surprised?
    Of course there was no requirement for this to be a minority government.
  • Options

Roger said:

If she was indeed one of our spooks then it is particularly important to stick to the cover story, as any fule kno.
    So the question is whether it was better to play dumb like Gove and be thought a fool or do what Boris did and remove all possible doubt
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

Indeed, but as we go on through the tunnel that light's only going to get bigger. Unfortunately, it looks as though the tunnel may be 5 years long :disappointed:
    I would not predict tomorrow let alone 5 years away. Maybe we should agree the next government could be either of the main parties or a coalition of some under leaders that may or may not be known at this time. That should cover it !!!
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

I would not predict tomorrow let alone 5 years away. Maybe we should agree the next government could be either of the main parties or a coalition of some under leaders that may or may not be known at this time. That should cover it !!!
    Once again, I agree with you entriely Big_G!

Time for bed for me - good night all!
  • Options

Freggles said:

So...

I am due an operation for a bi lateral hernia in two weeks so I am hoping that I may pen my 10,000 post during my recovery, but that will depend on politics not becoming mundane.!!!!

Good night
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

So the question is whether it was better to play dumb like Gove and be thought a fool or do what Boris did and remove all possible doubt
    :lol:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Freggles said:

So...

I am due an operation for a bi lateral hernia in two weeks so I am hoping that I may pen my 10,000 post during my recovery, but that will depend on politics not becoming mundane.!!!!

Good night
    All the best big G

Genuinely! Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Education agent recruits bogus students at private college

A BBC Panorama investigation has uncovered evidence of abuse of the government's student loan system in one of the biggest private colleges in England.

The Greenwich School of Management (GSM) and its students receive around £66m a year in maintenance and tuition fee loans.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/education-41963557/education-agent-recruits-bogus-students-at-private-college
  • Options

Well, she certainly didn't get any help from Boris. But where's the bit that says ...Indeed, the Foreign Secretary is very likely to put his foot in it and make your situation much worse.?
    Wasn't she already in jail ?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Freggles said:

So...

Good night
    All the best big G

Thanks so much. Had it done in 1973 and coming through again but also on the other side.

Unlike in 1973 when I was in hospital for 10 days this time it is a day stay only.

It does help that I have had previous experience but the main problem is not driving for 2 weeks or more.

I do appreciate your kind wishes
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    AndyJS said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:
    I do. And will.They were a major component in the Civil Wars and doubtless beforehand too.
  • Options

Alistair said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

On matters Poppy, we seem to have had Remembrance Weekend. I was at a Council office on Friday and we all stopped at 11am for a two minute silence. Yesterday Mrs Stodge and I were in the towels at John Lewis at Lakeside (simmer down, TSE) when everything stopped again and today we are out in East Ham High Street and once again everything stopped at 11 as the civic dignitaries led by the Deputy Mayor (Sir Robin goes to Stratford) did their bit,

In my youth I was well aware of Remembrance Sunday but since when did we have a two-minute silence on the 11th and since when did we have one on the 10th as well ?

Now, there will be those who say with considerable justification that six minutes of silence is paltry recognition not only for those who have fallen but for those they have left behind and of course that's valid and accurate but I just think a single national act of remembrance is what this should be about not lots of little acts.

There just seems a desperate desire to "do the right thing" or be seen to be doing the right thing. I don't know - just an observation. If we wanted to do the right thing by the widows, widowers and dependents of those lost fighting for our life and values, we'd do a lot more than buy poppies once a year.

The last 15-20 years has seen a turn to the mawkish and ostentatious when it come to poppy wearing and silences.

When I was a lad and marching in Remembrance Day parades, holding the flag or laying the wreath there was a 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Day and that was it. Nothing on the 11th.
    I would tend to agree, but the RBL has started producing a competing proliferation of poppy related merchandise to replace the previously uniform paper poppy. I remember when they were embossed on the black centre as Haig Fund.

To some extent this is positive. Paper poppies fall off modern clothes without lapels very easily. I have a plastic clip on one this year..

I was at the first ever football fixture with embroiderd poppies on the shirts, and this does seem a useful way of bringing remembrance to a wider audience.

https://www.lcfc.com/news/428985

There is a mawkish trend recently for roadside shrines at scenes of tragic deaths, such as motor vehicle accidents. Not just temporary ones either. There is one next to William Hill on Uppingham road where a teenager was stabbed to death 18 months ago. The flowers and notes are often replenished (I wish they would take off the cellophane). It must help people with mourning, but to me someone should be remembered where they lived, rather some random spot of sudden death.

The Establishment never quite stamped out Catholicism as the One True faith...
  • Options

Pong said:

Freggles said:

So...

Good night
    All the best big G

Thanks so much. Had it done in 1973 and coming through again but also on the other side.

Unlike in 1973 when I was in hospital for 10 days this time it is a day stay only.

It does help that I have had previous experience but the main problem is not driving for 2 weeks or more.

I do appreciate your kind wishes
    My good vibes too. 20 000 posts is not out f the question!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited November 2017

Good night

Very best wishes, Big G, and I suspect no risk of mundanity!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Wiki entry is interesting and Boris misspoke. However the story on Gove today is just poor journalism. I heard Gove's interview with Marr and his comments were nowhere near that which are being reported.

Did I spell it right ?

Mr G. I too am sure Boris means no harm. However, what would Boris prefer to do next?Should he jump on a plane to Tehran and personally grovel to the Iranian authorities for the release of this woman or plot with Gove to engineer Mrs May's defenestration?

Best wishes for the op. Sir!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,917

I am due an operation for a bi lateral hernia in two weeks so I am hoping that I may pen my 10,000 post during my recovery, but that will depend on politics not becoming mundane.!!!! Good night

Goodnight, and good luck for the op. I just googled "bilateral hernia", then went "ew" for a bit. Hope all the bits are repositioned appropriately. I'm sure it'll all work out, so don't worry.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    OK. Economists.

I know Patrick Minford, I like Patrick Minford, and I have a huge amount of respect for his work.

And you know, he's right that Brexit could lead to a [Large Number Here] boost to the UK economy. The problem is that Brexit has dramatically widened the dispersal between the various outcomes for the UK economy. The opportunities are greater than they have ever been, but so are the risks.

There is one area where I find him naive, and that is the mechanics of international trade. Patrick would like to return to a world where countries did not impose tariffs on goods and services (which I applaud). And he would also like to see sovereignty for standards setting at a national level.

However, I think I he underestimates the prevalence and impacts of non-tariff barriers (NTBs). We see NTBs all the time in the service sector: to teach skiing in France or Switzerland, you need to have certain accreditations, for example. But these barriers also exist in manufactured goods. Industries within countries lobby elected representatives to put in place certain requirements, that mean that trade is far from free. There's always a good reason for these laws (skis sold in Japan have to be manufactured this special way, because snow is different there...), but their effect is to stifle competition.

In a world where we unilaterally removed tariffs from imports, we would have limited opportunity to push for mutual standards recognition (which is the true goal of most free trade agreements these days).

Anyway: this will no doubt swallowed by a 6am new thread, so I shan't write any more :-)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,108
    A very good piece from a notorious Eurosceptic on why the four freedoms are and will always be indivisible.

https://www.ft.com/content/49dc02dc-c637-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675
  • Options
    In Barcelona, Rajoy Calls for Record Turnout to Defeat Secessionism https://nyti.ms/2jkZlwD
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Just for you TSE: the wonderful BJ restaurant and their incomparable sweet pig.

https://www.bjsrestaurants.com/menu/pizza/large/sweet-pig

This discussion has been closed.