Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To add to TMay’s gloom the latest ORB Brexit trackers don’t lo

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ishmael_Z said:

She offered funding for hospitals for providing medical services to refugees, and the catch is simply that the hospitals happen to be run by the army? isn't that a bit pathetic?

She freelanced Foreign policy.

Then didn't tell anyone.

Then lied about it.

Then had a meeting with May in which she failed to disclose further pertinent details.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    edited November 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

If Prity Patel doesn't resign it will be a miracle. Even by the shoddy standards of this government she surely has no chance of remaining in office. She should be in a race with Boris but being junior and her offence being much more serious it's bound to be her.

She won't resign and May won't sack her...
    am I missing something here? She offered funding for hospitals for providing medical services to refugees, and the catch is simply that the hospitals happen to be run by the army? isn't that a bit pathetic?
    She offered funding for hospitals for providing medical services to refugees, and the catch is simply that .....it is entirely at variance with the agreed policy of the FCO and therefore HMG.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I do admire the irony of the electorate denying Theresa May the majority she needed to be able to negotiate effectively with the EU, and then complaining that she won't get a good deal.

Theresa May denied herself a majority, not the electorate.
    The electorate had more than a passing influence in the matter!
    If only she hadn't called that snap election.
    I wonder what Gordon Brown's autobiography says about the snap election of 2007.
    He might have got the 42% and 318 seats May got rather than the abysmal 29% and 258 seats he did get 3 years later you mean?
    Nope, like Mrs May, Gordon Brown dabbling with a snap election (or therein) despite repeated denials that they would do such a thing damaged them both, and neither of the Premierships ever really recovered.
    Most sensible people acknowledge Mrs May was damaged by the events of June 8th.
    Wrong. Mrs May has secured her place in the history books with the highest Tory voteshare in 34 years and the second highest number of Tory seats in 25 years. Even if she did not do as well as hoped.

By failing to call a snap election history will record Brown got the second lowest Labour voteshare since WW2 and the lowest number of Labour seats for 23 years until Ed Miliband won even fewer in 2015. Even Corbyn outperformed Brown.
    I doubt Theresa May will be remembered for getting the highest Tory vote share in 25 years. At best, that will be a footnote.
    A significant footnote nonetheless
    The product of a completely broken voting system. Conservatives are so stupid they cannot see the dangers involved in not getting something better in place as soon as possible. All they are interested in is grabbing power and clinging on to it. Never mind the consequences.
  • Options

Incidentally, I still find it amazing that grown men are arguing about this.

May won. There is literally no doubt about that - she won the most seats, most votes and has enough support to get a Queens' speech through. That she permanently and fatally damaged her standing to achieve that victory will always overshadow it and, indeed, her.

There is a very famous saying in our language that covers this precise scenario. Can we just start using that instead of shitposting over and over and over.

Please.

It was Mohammed al Sahaf who drew up the original version of these graphs - I just posted them on Twitter :)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
    May called the election to get a bigger majority. She ended without one. That makes her a huge loser. She gambled and failed.

• Options
    @jessicaelgot: Patel has been on a plane to Uganda while Number 10 learn from the media she still did not give them full info about her visit. Not ideal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Or we have a Foreign policy which is no longer explicitly pro EU and anti Israel and left liberals can't stand it!
    Were you really a failed Tory candidate at the last election or was that just Mark's sense of humour?
    I increased the Tory voteshare in a town council by election in August relative to the 2016 local election result in the same ward even though I did not win yes and am on the list for the district elections next year, I have never stood in a general election.
    Well good luck HYFUD , you always fight your corner with politeness.
    Thank you though I will probably be a paper candidate in Loughton next year where the Residents Association hold sway, the 2019 Epping town council elections are what I am really focused on.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

OK Wegenerbois, answer this one:

"Portugal is part of Europe" is

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    Are you still on about this garbage Ishmael. You are arguing from a point of profound ignorance and just making yourself look dumb. Give it up and move on as you do make yourself look like a flat-earther at the moment.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

If Prity Patel doesn't resign it will be a miracle. Even by the shoddy standards of this government she surely has no chance of remaining in office. She should be in a race with Boris but being junior and her offence being much more serious it's bound to be her.

am I missing something here? She offered funding for hospitals for providing medical services to refugees, and the catch is simply that the hospitals happen to be run by the army? isn't that a bit pathetic?
    She offered funding for hospitals for providing medical services to refugees, and the catch is simply that .....it is entirely at variance with the agreed policy of the FCO and therefore HMG.
    OK.

I take your point that Syrian refugees are insignificant, brown people, but I'd be almost inclined to bend a rule or two if the sole purpose was to give them medical aid.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    Are you still on about this garbage Ishmael. You are arguing from a point of profound ignorance and just making yourself look dumb. Give it up and move on as you do make yourself look like a flat-earther at the moment.
    I 'll take that as a C, then.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I do admire the irony of the electorate denying Theresa May the majority she needed to be able to negotiate effectively with the EU, and then complaining that she won't get a good deal.

I wonder what Gordon Brown's autobiography says about the snap election of 2007.
    He might have got the 42% and 318 seats May got rather than the abysmal 29% and 258 seats he did get 3 years later you mean?
    Nope, like Mrs May, Gordon Brown dabbling with a snap election (or therein) despite repeated denials that they would do such a thing damaged them both, and neither of the Premierships ever really recovered.

Wrong. Mrs May has secured her place in the history books with the highest Tory voteshare in 34 years and the second highest number of Tory seats in 25 years. Even if she did not do as well as hoped.

By failing to call a snap election history will record Brown got the second lowest Labour voteshare since WW2 and the lowest number of Labour seats for 23 years until Ed Miliband won even fewer in 2015. Even Corbyn outperformed Brown.

I doubt Theresa May will be remembered for getting the highest Tory vote share in 25 years. At best, that will be a footnote.

Still bollocks and very tedious when you ignore one simple fact. CON increased vote share by 5.8% at GE17 - alas LAB went up 9.8%

Even on seats alone and completely ignoring voteshare, May got the 2nd highest number of Tory seats in 25 years
    Most of this is more of a comment about the falling away of a third party challenge in England, for the first time since 1970, than it is of particular credit to either Tory or Labour.
    Well that also goes for Cameron's majority in 2015 too then.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The product of a completely broken voting system. Conservatives are so stupid they cannot see the dangers involved in not getting something better in place as soon as possible. All they are interested in is grabbing power and clinging on to it. Never mind the consequences.
    That is rather the point of a political party and what 'something better' is depends on your perspective
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,454
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Still bollocks and very tedious when you ignore one simple fact. CON increased vote share by 5.8% at GE17 - alas LAB went up 9.8%

Even on seats alone and completely ignoring voteshare, May got the 2nd highest number of Tory seats in 25 years
    Most of this is more of a comment about the falling away of a third party challenge in England, for the first time since 1970, than it is of particular credit to either Tory or Labour.
    Well that also goes for Cameron's majority in 2015 too then.
    It was certainly more of an achievement. Also UKIP did OK in many seats, a challenge that disappeared in 2017.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    No you can take it as a sigh of despair that anyone could be so wrong on a basic fact and yet apparently not realise it. I can only assume it is as a result of profound arrogance that will not let you admit you made a mistake and move on. So instead you just keep digging.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: Patel has been on a plane to Uganda while Number 10 learn from the media she still did not give them full info about her visit. Not ideal.

That she’s out of the country is possibly the only reason she’s not been fired today. Patel and Johnson both looking very vulnerable. Reshuffle later in the week, assuming no more sex pest allegations in the meantime?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Or we have a Foreign policy which is no longer explicitly pro EU and anti Israel and left liberals can't stand it!
    Were you really a failed Tory candidate at the last election or was that just Mark's sense of humour?
    I increased the Tory voteshare in a town council by election in August relative to the 2016 local election result in the same ward even though I did not win yes and am on the list for the district elections next year, I have never stood in a general election.
    Well good luck HYFUD , you always fight your corner with politeness.
    Thank you though I will probably be a paper candidate in Loughton next year where the Residents Association hold sway, the 2019 Epping town council elections are what I am really focused on.
    Not a phrase you see very often!
  • Options

May won. There is literally no doubt about that - she won the most seats, most votes and has enough support to get a Queens' speech through. That she permanently and fatally damaged her standing to achieve that victory will always overshadow it and, indeed, her.
    There is a very famous saying in our language that covers this precise scenario. Can we just start using that instead of shitposting over and over and over. Please.

Trying to guess the phrase, Mr Paris.... Tant pis? Faute de mielleur? Merde?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

OK.

I take your point that Syrian refugees are insignificant, brown people, but I'd be almost inclined to bend a rule or two if the sole purpose was to give them medical aid.
    That is so utterly ridiculous a remark as to be beneath a reasonable reply.

But I will be charitable since geology and geography is clearly using up your energies.
    I never once said whether Ms. Patel's ideas were good or bad ones.
    Merely that Ministers can not go around making up Policy on the hoof.
    And then dissembling about what they have done.

Or maybe you disagree?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Sandpit said:

Sad to hear the news about Carl Sargeant.

With all the allegations about lots of people flying around at the moment, it’s sadly unsurprising to hear that someone has taken that option.

Without ever being told what the allegations were. That is the bit that flies in the face of natural justice. How can you defend yourself when you don't know what you are facing?
  • Options
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour have just tabled 30 questions to Government on Priti Patel’s Israel trip, which must be answered next Monday. They scent blood.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

OK.

But I will be charitable since geology and geography is clearly using up your energies.

Or maybe you disagree?
    You could have added to Izzy's idiotic post that had Britain wanted to give aid to Syrian refugees there are other ways than through the Israeli army currently involved in an illegal occupation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    "Prince Charles campaigned to alter climate-change agreements without disclosing his private estate had an offshore financial interest in what he was promoting, BBC Panorama has found.

The Paradise Papers show the Duchy of Cornwall in 2007 secretly bought shares worth $113,500 in a Bermuda company that would benefit from a rule change.

The prince was a friend of a director of Sustainable Forestry Management Ltd..........."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901175
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    LOL! The Guardian now wants us to be indignant because the Duchy of Cornwall "invested in land to protect it from deforestation" with, as the article puts it, "no tax advantage to the estate". The investment value was... $100K.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/07/prince-charles-profit-best-friend-hugh-van-cutsem-offshore-firm-paradise-papers

These Paradise Papers are indeed a treasure-trove... of laughs.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    No you can take it as a sigh of despair that anyone could be so wrong on a basic fact and yet apparently not realise it. I can only assume it is as a result of profound arrogance that will not let you admit you made a mistake and move on. So instead you just keep digging.
    look: I know what Wegener said, I know how plate tectonics came along and explained what he said, and I know that these islands are on the same plate as most of europe. If I were as ignorant as you claim, how would I know that the Portugal question was a good one? This isn't about my understanding of science, it's about your failure to understand how scientific advances qualify ordinary language. There are big bits of land which are continents and little bits of land which are islands, and you can't be both, and here's John Donne to confirm that: "No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine". The discovery that islands and continents are connected to one another and move about in sync does not alter the fact that islands are still islands. (And even if it did, the political consequences would still be nil).

I am wary of "ANSWER THE QUESTION, YES OR NO," arguments, but is Portugal part of Europe or not, or is the question unfair, and why?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    I wonder if the BBC will be door-stepping Prince Charles to ask him about the below?

I suspect not.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2017

LOL! The Guardian now wants us to be indignant because the Duchy of Cornwall "invested in land to protect it from deforestation" with, as the article puts it, "no tax advantage to the estate".

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/07/prince-charles-profit-best-friend-hugh-van-cutsem-offshore-firm-paradise-papers

I heard that that there’s been a dozen hacks from various publications working through this stuff for nearly a year - and there’s almost nothing there at all. But it cost them a fortune so they need to run with it for weeks anyway!

Queen has an indirect £3k investment in a company the Guardian doesn’t like, non-resident touring sportsman didn’t pay VAT on his plane and now Prince Charles is buying land to stop it being developed on. Where’s the news?
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited November 2017
    - deleted, messed up the quotes.
  • Options
    FPT:

You are being way too charitable to Brown. The 'boom and bust' line was trotted out over and over, to all sorts of audiences, and the clear message was that Labour's stable and prudent policies would avoid the harsh economic swings of the past. He talked about continuous growth, ongoing stability, financial discipline, All this said whilst an inexorably rising spiral of credit was taking us toward the 2008 cliff edge, which Brown denied when challenged about this very possibility in advance of the event.

When challenged about this in 2008 Brown tried to claim he had always said "no more Tory boom and bust" (as if voters cared whose), but the record confirms he used this formulation sometimes but very often not.
    This was the argument I had the other day. The problem is that all kinds of sources from before 2008 took Brown to mean that specific political practice, whether prefixed with 'Tory' or not. For instance, the definition given in a British Political Dictionary from 2004:

'Boom and bust.
    A phrase used to describe the tendency of the British economy to experience a cycle of rapid inflationary growth, often triggered by governments in advance of an election (for example Nigel Lawson's 1986 budget), followed by a recession, after interest rates have been increased to bring inflation under control, as occurred under the chancellorship of Norman Lamont in the early 1990s. Gordon Brown, New Labour's first chancellor, claimed he was breaking out of this tendency by letting the Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of England set interest rates on purely economic criteria. ... See also: political business cycle.'

This was how John Smith had used the term as shadow chancellor. Everybody at the time understood what Brown was talking about when he said 'boom and bust', it's only afterwards it's been reimagined to mean *any* boom and *any* recession

• Options
    FPT:

Nonsense. The Labour 'plan', if that's not too strong a word, was to say that the deficit could be cut with no pain to anyone. We never did find out what if anything they actually proposed to do, but they seemed to oppose every single spending cut Osborne implemented, even the most obvious and painless.
    On the contrary, Labour was constantly going on about cuts and expected pain (reaction against it here: https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/mehdi-hasan/2010/06/cuts-deficit-labour-budget-obr). It's no surprise that they never drew up more concrete plans in opposition, that's just how our politics works unfortunately - we had equally little substance from the Tories before 2010, and then the plans and forecasts we did get turned out to be completely unreal.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:
    On the Golan Heights, a piece of land captured by the IDF, which is still disputed as being illegally occupied. Quite possibly because from the top it is possible to see a long way over Syria, or in the opposite direction, over Israel.
  • Options
    Roger said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

OK.

Or maybe you disagree?
    You could have added to Izzy's idiotic post that had Britain wanted to give aid to Syrian refugees there are other ways than through the Israeli army currently involved in an illegal occupation.
    Well, no. If you are trying to provide medical aid in a militarised zone, you have to work with what's available. It would be preferable in all sorts of ways to rely on the Red Cross or MSF or someone, but hospitals which are already there, are already there.
  • Options
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

You have to wonder about the 34% who approve of the Brexit negotiations.

It would seem most are pb.com regulars

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

This was how John Smith had used the term as shadow chancellor. Everybody at the time understood what Brown was talking about when he said 'boom and bust', it's only afterwards it's been reimagined to mean *any* boom and *any* recession

And yet Brown was guilty of stoking an unsustainable boom in order to smooth his path into Downing Street. Even using your definition, he's one of the worst offenders of manipulating the economy for short-term political ends.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

On the contrary, Labour was constantly going on about cuts and expected pain (reaction against it here: https://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/mehdi-hasan/2010/06/cuts-deficit-labour-budget-obr). It's no surprise that they never drew up more concrete plans in opposition, that's just how our politics works unfortunately - we had equally little substance from the Tories before 2010, and then the plans and forecasts we did get turned out to be completely unreal.

The issue wasn't that they didn't draw up plans in opposition, but that they didn't draw up plans in government:

https://citywire.co.uk/money/government-delays-spending-decisions-amid-crippling-debt/a347037

Even by New Labour standards, it was exceptionally cynical and dishonest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is rather the point of a political party and what 'something better' is depends on your perspective
    I would have thought it might mean strong and stable government, Mr FD, which worked towards a prosperous economy and and contented population. Something like that. Instead we have a gang of incompetents who are hell-bent on wrecking the economy and the social stability of the nation.
  • Options

And yet Brown was guilty of stoking an unsustainable boom in order to smooth his path into Downing Street. Even using your definition, he's one of the worst offenders of manipulating the economy for short-term political ends.
    It's not *my* definition, it's *the* definition. Only after 2008 has this myth arisen that 'boom and bust' meant just the ordinary business cycle. Whether you're a fan of Brown or not, it matters if we want to know New Labour's motivations, what they thought they'd achieved and the measures they took. Continuing with this myth turns real history into a caricature.

Whether he was right or not is an entirely different matter. I agree entirely that New Labour was terribly short-termist, and generally agree with Tony Wood's obituary of the Blair-Brown governments: https://newleftreview.org/II/62/tony-wood-good-riddance-to-new-labour

But you'll find plenty of economists arguing that his was the right policy for the circumstances of 2008 and after - quite a different situation to what faced Maudling, Barber, Lawson, Lamont.
  • Options

The issue wasn't that they didn't draw up plans in opposition, but that they didn't draw up plans in government:

https://citywire.co.uk/money/government-delays-spending-decisions-amid-crippling-debt/a347037

And entirely within the normal boundaries of British politics, from the Tories using the windfall from privatisations and north sea oil to fund tax cuts and current spending unsustainably, to New Labour's love affair with PFI, to the long-term impact on growth of the coalition's austerity programme.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Roger said:

OK.

Or maybe you disagree?
    Well, no. If you are trying to provide medical aid in a militarised zone, you have to work with what's available. It would be preferable in all sorts of ways to rely on the Red Cross or MSF or someone, but hospitals which are already there, are already there.
    Why not other armies involved in the occupation of Syria most dealing with many more refugees than the Israelis occupying the Golan Heights. Hezbollah for example? But as you know that's not the point
  • Options
    edited November 2017

And entirely within the normal boundaries of British politics, from the Tories using the windfall from privatisations and north sea oil to fund tax cuts and current spending unsustainably, to New Labour's love affair with PFI, to the long-term impact on growth of the coalition's austerity programme.
    It is not within the normal boundaries of British politics to cancel a routine spending review because you want to be able to con voters. Trying to change the subject won't alter that, and won't alter the fact that, as I originally pointed out, Labour did NOT lay out their spending plans going in to the 2010 election.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Roger said:
    Another day and Germany doesnt actually have a government
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,402
    OchEye said:

HYUFD said:
    On the Golan Heights, a piece of land captured by the IDF, which is still disputed as being illegally occupied. Quite possibly because from the top it is possible to see a long way over Syria, or in the opposite direction, over Israel.
    I would have thought the answer's even simpler - the country that commands Golan commands the Jordan and the Sea of Galilee. In other words, the vast majority of fresh water in the region.

Re Winstanley, I wouldn't bother arguing. He still hasn't explained how Brown's use of the Dotcom crash as a way of showing he guaranteed economic stability shows he really meant 'Tory boom and bust'. Or read page 215 of his beloved dictionary where Bill Jones makes it clear it really was economics since 1945 and not merely Conservative governments Brown was referring too.

Some people can just be unreasonable on their pet hobby horses. At least we can talk about Brexit instead :smiley:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    The idea that Patel does not know what she is doing is absurd. This is nasty, brutal politics.
  • Options

It's not *my* definition, it's *the* definition. Only after 2008 has this myth arisen that 'boom and bust' meant just the ordinary business cycle. Whether you're a fan of Brown or not, it matters if we want to know New Labour's motivations, what they thought they'd achieved and the measures they took. Continuing with this myth turns real history into a caricature.
    The phrase was actually coined by Ken Clarke. Its subsequent overuse by Brown was often mocked well before 2008 and taken to mean that he believed he could "abolish the business cycle", so whatever the definition, it's revisionism to claim that it wasn't the topic of political debate at the time.

Here's Ken Clarke's 1996 budget statement where he refers to "no return to boom and bust".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMlPPDWo_Fs
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,393

Whether he was right or not is an entirely different matter. I agree entirely that New Labour was terribly short-termist, and generally agree with Tony Wood's obituary of the Blair-Brown governments: https://newleftreview.org/II/62/tony-wood-good-riddance-to-new-labour

But you'll find plenty of economists arguing that his was the right policy for the circumstances of 2008 and after - quite a different situation to what faced Maudling, Barber, Lawson, Lamont.
    Would all these economists be Greek by any chance? No one sane thought we could possibly sustain a deficit of 10% of GDP. The refusal to have a spending review was so Brown could go on and on about Tory Cuts, not because anyone thought cuts were not necessary.
  • Options

It is not within the normal boundaries of British politics to cancel a routine spending review because you want to be able to con voters.
    Every government lies and hides what bad news it can get away with, New Labour was venal for sure but entirely within a proud tradition of venality.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Roger said:
    We could make some good jokes about this.

'Angela Merkel's forming a coalition with the Greens and the Free Democrats.'

'Jamaica?'

'Nah, the voters did!'

Well - some jokes anyway...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong. Mrs May has secured her place in the history books with the highest Tory ed Brown.
    I would have thought it might mean strong and stable government, Mr FD, which worked towards a prosperous economy and and contented population. Something like that. Instead we have a gang of incompetents who are hell-bent on wrecking the economy and the social stability of the nation.
    There would certainly not be a 'contented population' if the vote of 17 million of them to leave the EU to restore sovereignty and gain greater control of EU immigration was thrown back in their face.

The government is aiming for a FTA with the EU in accordance with the Leave vote.
  • Options

Roger said:
    Can we have their non-government instead of ours, please?
  • Options

Roger said:
    The 2013 German government wasn't formed until November 27th.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/27/angela-merkel-german-coalition-social-democrats
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry must be the number one contender. Not since the days of Robin Cook has Labour had such a classy parliamentary performer
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do the three of you envision some time in the future when you'll have gotten bored of hurling the same statistics back and forth at each other?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

Roger said:
    This is just not true!

Germany has a government. It is the CDU/CSU/SPD government from before the election in September.

All government proceduere carries on as normal.
    Only *new* laws cannot be proposed or voted on.
  • Options

The phrase was actually coined by Ken Clarke. Its subsequent overuse by Brown was often mocked well before 2008 and taken to mean that he believed he could "abolish the business cycle", so whatever the definition, it's revisionism to claim that it wasn't the topic of political debate at the time.

Here's Ken Clarke's 1996 budget statement where he refers to "no return to boom and bust".

[deleted]
    Although he did a good job as Chancellor by most metrics, it's interesting to see how preachy Clarke is in that. 'This is what you want...you may get it at some point.'

Conventional wisdom is that the Tories made a dreadful error not electing him leader, but I wonder how well that attitude would have gone down with either his backbenchers or the press.

Not that William Hague was willing to tell anyone hard truths.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

'Jamaica?'

'Nah, the voters did!'

The Joke is

Martin Schulz (SPD) is chatting to Christian Lindner (FDP) in the pub.

Lindner: We're going to form a government with Merkel

Schulz: Jamaica?

Lindner: No she called me.
    (boom boom!)
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

'Jamaica?'

'Nah, the voters did!'

The Joke is

Martin Schulz (SPD) is chatting to Christian Lindner (FDP) in the pub.

Lindner: We're going to form a government with Merkel

Schulz: Jamaica?

Lindner: No she called me.
    (boom boom!)
    More boom-Tish! :lol:
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Roger said:
    This is just not true!

Germany has a government. It is the CDU/CSU/SPD government from before the election in September.

All government proceduere carries on as normal.
    Only *new* laws cannot be proposed or voted on.
    Putting a stop to new laws is a thing that most parliaments should consider....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

[deleted]
    Although he did a good job as Chancellor by most metrics, it's interesting to see how preachy Clarke is in that. 'This is what you want...you may get it at some point.'

Conventional wisdom is that the Tories made a dreadful error not electing him leader, but I wonder how well that attitude would have gone down with either his backbenchers or the press.

Not that William Hague was willing to tell anyone hard truths.
    At least you don't laugh or cringe as you did with Major.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The idea that Patel does not know what she is doing is absurd. This is nasty, brutal politics.

Sounds interesting. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she was just a moron out to impress
  • Options
    Matt Frei. "Just what does Boris have to do to get sacked"?
  • Options
    Roger said:

It is comments like that from BBC journalists that annoy me. They are there to report, not offer their opinions.

Fair enough to find a politician or two to make that point and then report it - but I don't think the role of the BBC is to comment.
  • Options

Whether people took it mean the ordinary business cycle before 2008 or not, I don't know - would you point me in the direction of any sources that do claim Brown was talking about the ordinary business cycle?

Everything I have seen shows clearly that when British politicians spoke of 'boom and bust' long before 2008 they meant the practice of chancellors fiddling about with interest rates to provoke a boom in the run up to elections, and that Brown thought he had ended it by having interest rates set allegedly independently from politicians. Not that he had somehow fixed the ordinary business cycle to make booms and busts of any sort impossible.

That is how the 2004 British Political Dictionary defined it. It's how the Telegraph defined it in 2006: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2946610/Economic-agenda-The-blunders-of-boom-and-bust.html

So how can this definition be Brown trying to shift the goalposts after 2008, when it's so clearly everywhere before 2008? Whether he was right or wrong, that's what he meant and his reasons for thinking so make sense. It is not possible now for something like the Maudling dash for growth, the Barber boom, the Lawson boom, leading from their decisions to cut interest rates for political reasons. The issue remaining is that Bank of England independence doesn't insulate it from politics, Brown wasn't right. But let's understand what he even meant.
  • Options

Roger said:

It is comments like that from BBC journalists that annoy me. They are there to report, not offer their opinions.

Fair enough to find a politician or two to make that point and then report it - but I don't think the role of the BBC is to comment.
    That's funny. Blame the BBC. Suggest you do a Google.
  • Options

Roger said:

Channel 4 actually. Not aided by Nadhim Zahawi who sounds like a cross between Philip Green and Tyson Fury.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Channel 4 actually. Not aided by Nadhim Zahawi who sounds like a cross between Philip Green and Tyson Fury.
    Don't let a little fact get in the way of a knee jerk attack on the BBC.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

It is very easy to see why the BBC gets a reputation for having agendas that it likes to push when they step away from informing and educating and into the world of personal comments.

There is a world of difference between reporting an event, a story, and giving journalists a platform for their own opinions.

The BBC face this criticism from a whole range of political perspectives - so it is not just one side of a debate that thinks it is getting a raw deal. The BBC consistently brush it aside claiming journalistic integrity. But you only have to look at the 'Despite Brexit' claim made by JRM which was dismissed out of hand by Dimbleby on QT the other week - and then look at the evidence that shows JRM was absolutely right.

The BBC does a lot of good work. But it needs to focus on reporting and quality investigative journalism - and cut out the constant comments.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

It is very easy to see why the BBC gets a reputation for having agendas that it likes to push when they step away from informing and educating and into the world of personal comments.

There is a world of difference between reporting an event, a story, and giving journalists a platform for their own opinions.

The BBC face this criticism from a whole range of political perspectives - so it is not just one side of a debate that thinks it is getting a raw deal. The BBC consistently brush it aside claiming journalistic integrity. But you only have to look at the 'Despite Brexit' claim made by JRM which was dismissed out of hand by Dimbleby on QT the other week - and then look at the evidence that shows JRM was absolutely right.

The BBC does a lot of good work. But it needs to focus on reporting and quality investigative journalism - and cut out the constant comments.
    He's on channel 4. Chuckle.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Don't let a little fact get in the way of a knee jerk attack on the BBC.
    Fair enough - hands up to the getting Matt Frei's current employer wrong. But the central point about BBC commenting still stands.

C4 News shouldn't do it either.
  • Options

Best quote of the day

If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear

George Orwell
  • Options

And

Whether people took it mean the ordinary business cycle before 2008 or not, I don't know - would you point me in the direction of any sources that do claim Brown was talking about the ordinary business cycle?

Everything I have seen shows clearly that when British politicians spoke of 'boom and bust' long before 2008 they meant the practice of chancellors fiddling about with interest rates to provoke a boom in the run up to elections, and that Brown thought he had ended it by having interest rates set allegedly independently from politicians. Not that he had somehow fixed the ordinary business cycle to make booms and busts of any sort impossible.

That is how the 2004 British Political Dictionary defined it. It's how the Telegraph defined it in 2006: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2946610/Economic-agenda-The-blunders-of-boom-and-bust.html

So how can this definition be Brown trying to shift the goalposts after 2008, when it's so clearly everywhere before 2008? Whether he was right or wrong, that's what he meant and his reasons for thinking so make sense. It is not possible now for something like the Maudling dash for growth, the Barber boom, the Lawson boom, leading from their decisions to cut interest rates for political reasons. The issue remaining is that Bank of England independence doesn't insulate it from politics, Brown wasn't right. But let's understand what he even meant.
    Plus, it wasn't coined by Ken Clarke in 1996 - there are plenty of references to 'boom and bust policies' on Hansard referring to monetary policy before then, before it really takes off in 1997/8.
  • Options
    Unwittingly, Tezza has an opportunity (she won't take) to assert her authority (she won't) and "take back control" (won't happen) of the agenda.

Tell Priti to get on the next flight home and sack her on arrival.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    If you don't pay tax, why should the police and courts enforce your property rights?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41899034

It's time for the great British public to default on these scammers.

Take Back Control

• Options

Best quote of the day

If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear

George Orwell

Boris. You're Fired!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Unwittingly, Tezza has an opportunity (she won't take) to assert her authority (she won't) and "take back control" (won't happen) of the agenda.

Tell Priti to get on the next flight home and sack her on arrival.

Since we are talking about a scandal involving Israel, May seems to have been studying Abba Eban - she never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
  • Options

Best quote of the day

George Orwell

"You were wrong to vote Leave" ????
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Pong said:

If you don't pay tax, why should the police and courts enforce your property rights?

And if the great British public don't?
  • Options
    Holyrood was evacuated today because the Inverness Courier invited MSPs to an anniversary party, with fake snow in the envelopes
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Holyrood was evacuated today because the Inverness Courier invited MSPs to an anniversary party, with fake snow in the envelopes

If our politicians are so hopeless they can't even get a security alert over mysterious powders right, it is my considered opinion that we are stuffed.
  • Options

Best quote of the day

George Orwell

You were wrong to vote Remain :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

And

Plus, it wasn't coined by Ken Clarke in 1996 - there are plenty of references to 'boom and bust policies' on Hansard referring to monetary policy before then, before it really takes off in 1997/8.
    Debating with yourself isn't a good look ;)

Brown is a politician. He knew how most people would take his oft repeated phrases.

Besides, he was confronted in the Commons about the looming risk of bust from rapidly rising debt, and arrogantly dismissed them. He deserves no credit in the build up to the crisis, some credit for acting quickly to prevent collapse during it, and little credit for sowing the seeds that flowered into today's gross distortions.
  • Options

Best quote of the day

George Orwell

Orwell was a genius. God alone knows what he would make of this current situation.
  • Options

Best quote of the day

George Orwell

You never go full REMOANER!
  • Options
    So, today's revelations. The two most important senior foreign and diplomatic facing ministers have been found to be either utterly crap at their jobs or duplicitous or both.

So, I ask yet again, why the f*** is Rory not in Cabinet?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Best quote of the day

George Orwell

Orwell was a genius. God alone knows what he would make of this current situation.
    The EU has a history of treating some votes as more equal than others? (depending on the result of course).
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Orwell would have hated newspeak like Remoaner and Brexit. One shuts down debates the other means different things to everyone.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sandpit said:

LOL! The Guardian now wants us to be indignant because the Duchy of Cornwall "invested in land to protect it from deforestation" with, as the article puts it, "no tax advantage to the estate".

I heard that that there’s been a dozen hacks from various publications working through this stuff for nearly a year - and there’s almost nothing there at all. But it cost them a fortune so they need to run with it for weeks anyway!

Queen has an indirect £3k investment in a company the Guardian doesn’t like, non-resident touring sportsman didn’t pay VAT on his plane and now Prince Charles is buying land to stop it being developed on. Where’s the news?
    As far as I understand it, the Duchy of Lancaster invested an amount in two companies, one went bankrupt, the other dropped to £3k, sorry, but I don't have the original amounts to hand, perhaps someone could remind me?
  • Options

There is a very famous saying in our language that covers this precise scenario. Can we just start using that instead of shitposting over and over and over.

Please.

It was Mohammed al Sahaf who drew up the original version of these graphs - I just posted them on Twitter :)

May called the election to get a bigger majority. She ended without one. That makes her a huge loser. She gambled and failed.

And yet she is still PM, and Corbyn is still the Opposition.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Pong said:

Take Back Control

What if I’m Chinese and own a flat in London but pay my income tax in Beijing? Do I have no rights if I need the help of the law?

• Options

Please.

And yet she is still PM, and Corbyn is still the Opposition.
    And she still came off worst
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour lost - get over it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    What's the answer?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May lost her majority and her authority.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 35 seats, Scottish Conservatives 13. Why the big deal about Ruth Davidson? - she lost!
  • Options

So, today's revelations. The two most important senior foreign and diplomatic facing ministers have been found to be either utterly crap at their jobs or duplicitous or both.

So, I ask yet again, why the f*** is Rory not in Cabinet?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-ministers-dominic-raab-and-rory-stewart-deny-accusations-in-sleaze-spreadsheet-6255z3vh3

That may be one reason.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    welshowl said:

Pong said:

Take Back Control

What if I’m Chinese and own a flat in London but pay my income tax in Beijing? Do I have no rights if I need the help of the law?

If only taxpayers have recourse to the law, of course, one can safely take candy from babies.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A. True.
    B. False.

Think carefully.

Too difficult, obv.

Is this easier?

A. True.
    B. False.
    C. Yebbut.

Take your time.
    look: I know what Wegener said, I know how plate tectonics came along and explained what he said, and I know that these islands are on the same plate as most of europe. If I were as ignorant as you claim, how would I know that the Portugal question was a good one? This isn't about my understanding of science, it's about your failure to understand how scientific advances qualify ordinary language. There are big bits of land which are continents and little bits of land which are islands, and you can't be both, and here's John Donne to confirm that: "No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine". The discovery that islands and continents are connected to one another and move about in sync does not alter the fact that islands are still islands. (And even if it did, the political consequences would still be nil).

I am wary of "ANSWER THE QUESTION, YES OR NO," arguments, but is Portugal part of Europe or not, or is the question unfair, and why?
    Yes Portugal is part of Europe. It is also part of the European plate - a fact I suspect you are about to mistakenly deny which is a good sign of why you should not base your supposed scientific knowledge on Wikipedia.

By your criteria Staten Island is not part of the Continental US. Which is of course utter rubbish.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    All together: Sleazy Tories on the slide, Brexit on the skids.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 35 seats, Scottish Conservatives 13. Why the big deal about Ruth Davidson? - she lost!
    Sadly for Sunil, politics is not quite as simple as he makes out. Look at May. This is not what success looks like. No amount of spin, stats and repetition here can cover that up.
This discussion has been closed.