Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Westminster watershed. The sex abuse scandal could lead to far

Comments

• Options

Danny565 said:

To think that, not so long ago, the fashionable view was that Boris's "buffoon" thing was all just an act, and that he was in reality a super-intelligent man.

One can be highly intelligent and also lacking in many other things like common sense or basic life skills.

I once had to teach the 20 year old Oxford undergraduate daughter of a former SoS for Health how to make instant coffee...
    Spend anytime in academia and it is the norm, not the exception....
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    justin124 said:

welshowl said:

@ Justin124

I'm implying we as a nation have an issue. Now it's not simple of course, if your economy is growing at 3% and inflation is also 3% (say late 1960's) as long as you are borrowing in your own currency running a say 2% deficit is not going to frighten anyone (except of course bond holders who are on the quiet getting 3% taken off them every year less the bond yield), and your debt to GDP will drop. But generally we don't seem to want to live within our means.

Take the triple lock, the removal of one part of which would only have kicked in if inflation was less than 2.5% (and uprating for inflation would still have taken place), and was proposed only six months ago and we collectively threw our hands up and said "no". So it has become a shibboleth that is put in the electoral kryptonite box for all parties in future marked "never, ever, under any circumstances touch, even with a mile long bargepole". Now in reality there is a way out of the maths on that one by increasing the pension age faster than otherwise would have been the case, and I'm sure, on the quiet, whoever is in power that will now happen, but it seems to me illustrative.

We have run a deficit with the rest of the world for the past 20 odd years without a break, we have net foreign debts now I believe, in 2010 we were borrowing (if I recall rightly) about 13% of GDP on the public finances, and though the present lot have got that down to 3% ish (?), the country now seems to be chafing again at how "tough" things are.

It's a problem we should see in our national mirror rather than though one particular party prism. Even if I personally think one of the present lot's proposals are a lot worse than the other I think it's deeper than that, and given a globalised world I doubt we are ever going to get back to those 1950's and 60's numbers any time soon which made life pretty easy relatively.

I don't disagree with much of that at all. I would point out ,however, that out Debt/GDP ratio was higher in the 1950s and early 1960s than is the case today.
    Indeed it was. I think we were at 200% or so, but we had just fought a world war, so it was an extreme place to start. However, we were able to take advantage of the most benign 25 years that has ever existed for economies of the West, and through a combination of growth (rebound from a war leaves lots of pent up demand?), and rising inflation (which was a fairly new thing then) got that debt to GDP figure down. One suspects the huge bulge in the workforce as the Baby Boomers entered their working lives 1960- about 1980 helped too, though those self same Boomers are now becoming a burden rather than a positive which also does not help balance the books, especially as retirement assumptions in the 60's probably assumed they would drop off their perches at about 70 and clearly most are not going to.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Danny565 said:

To think that, not so long ago, the fashionable view was that Boris's "buffoon" thing was all just an act, and that he was in reality a super-intelligent man.

One can be highly intelligent and also lacking in many other things like common sense or basic life skills.

I once had to teach the 20 year old Oxford undergraduate daughter of a former SoS for Health how to make instant coffee...
    Spend anytime in academia and it is the norm, not the exception....
    Well indeed - and the rarefied atmosphere in the dreaming spires of my adopted hometown demonstrates the lack of life skills by so many here.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Well the Tories certainly haven't exercised restraint. 45% of the UK's total national debt has been borrowed since 2010. In the past seven years the Tories have borrowed more than Labour did in thirteen years.

If you don't understand why this graph explains it, you should really keep quiet about it.
    Graph is % of GDP. I am talking ££££££££££. And the Tories have borrowed lots and lots of them.
    £££££££££££££££££ for you..

Yes and if you add up the numbers for 2010-17 you will find the total exceeds those of any previous government. The annual sums borrowed have come down but they are now going to start going up again.

Which means the Tories are not in a strong position to criticise Labour for planning additional borrowing. Especially when Tory Cabinet ministers also want to borrow more.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: After an hour, Boris almost apologises: "Of course I'm sorry if words of mine have been misconstrued and caused upset to Nazanin's family".
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2017

Danny565 said:

He is very intelligent but as often is the case not a wise counsellor - Reckon this has lost him any leadership hope
    If Angela Rayner had said what Boris did, it would've been used as proof that she was "thick as mince".

It's only because Boris is posh that people still insist he's intelligent.
  • Options

Well the Tories certainly haven't exercised restraint. 45% of the UK's total national debt has been borrowed since 2010. In the past seven years the Tories have borrowed more than Labour did in thirteen years.

If you don't understand why this graph explains it, you should really keep quiet about it.
    Graph is % of GDP. I am talking ££££££££££. And the Tories have borrowed lots and lots of them.

Yes and if you add up the numbers for 2010-17 you will find the total exceeds those of any previous government. The annual sums borrowed have come down but they are now going to start going up again.

Which means the Tories are not in a strong position to criticise Labour for planning additional borrowing. Especially when Tory Cabinet ministers also want to borrow more.
    The Conservatives had an entirely coherent case. Until Brexit, when they decided to spunk large sums of money on a mad hobbyhorse project.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Danny565 said:

Wouldn't teaching her how to use an Espresso machine have been more useful to prepare her for her future career?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: After an hour, Boris almost apologises: "Of course I'm sorry if words of mine have been misconstrued and caused upset to Nazanin's family".

FFS, that makes it worse. It's not 'upset to the family' which is the issue.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

People who confuse geological areas with geo-political entities really do need to go back to school and learn some basics.

That said Ishmael is talking utter bollocks as well. We are part of the European continental plate and nothing he can say can change that. Trying to claim that we should not recognise that because they were only recognised 100 years ago is like trying to claim gravity did not exist before Newton worked out the laws.

The Continental plates have been around in their current form give or take a foot or two for a lot longer than the Channel which only appeared about 8000 years ago.

I am not talking bollocks, why would I deny that we are on the European continental plate? Of course I wouldn't. The point is, as you say, that you can't derive politics from geology - an extreme case of the rule that you can't derive "ought" statements from "is" statements. And if we are on a bollocks-spotting expedition, what on earth does longevity have to do with anything? A well educated ten year old could list a dozen times when the existence of the English Channel has been politically crucial to us. How does the existence of the European plate stack up against that?

We are on the European plate; Europe is on the European plate; ergo we are part of Europe is no more an argument than it is to say that if you are travelling on the same plane as the English cricket team, you must be part of the team.
    Which continent are we part of then Ishmael?
    'Trying to claim that we should not recognise that because they were only recognised 100 years ago is like trying to claim gravity did not exist before Newton worked out the laws.'

How does that work if he's talking about political identity and historical experience? Was the existence of the continental plate defining our political identity before we knew of it? Surely our perception of being an island apart from Europe moulded that far more strongly.
  • Options

But the numbers are there. The Tories have borrowed more than any previous government. They have borrowed at a level which in 2010 Osborne was saying would turn the UK into Greece. So they are not in a strong position to criticise Labour plans - in fact a Tory Cabinet minister, Javid, has already come out in support of additional borrowing.

Nonsense. When Labour left office they were borrowing four pounds for every three raised in revenue - an eye-watering overspend, far worse than any other major economy in the world. Osborne got that deficit down from around 10% GDP to 2.6% of GDP, and, amazingly, did so whilst simultaneously reducing unemployment. It is a superb record by any standard, and completely vindicated his approach. Labour under its relatively sane previous management wanted to spend a lot more, and under its current barmy management wants to spend humoungous amounts more, so it's a bit rich to criticise the Tories for not spending less. Of course, Labour will no doubt shamelessly attempt to blame the Tories for not doing worse as Labour proposed, but no-one is going to be fooled.

My guess is that this will not be a big theme during the next general election campaign.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:

I assume by "FFS" you didn't mean the Theresa May-definition of the term? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCTLvXxB9I
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Yes they are, given that they are trying to reduce borrowing.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Non-apology. “Sorry if I offended”
  • Options

My guess is that this will not be a big theme during the next general election campaign.

I think it will, if Labour's manifesto is similar to the last one. I would certainly hope that the Conservatives won't repeat the mistake of letting McDonnell get away with his absurdities.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    One of the many issues with the House of Commons is that there are large numbers of backbenchers with not enough to do, who are given limitless opportunities to drink to excess in tax-payer subsidised bars. By convention, no Member of the House is ever "drunk" but in practice many are much of the time. Introducing breathalysers to the votes would solve a lot of issues at a stroke. It would be no different to workers on the railways, or airlines or a host of other safety critical industries.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

People who confuse geological areas with geo-political entities really do need to go back to school and learn some basics.

That said Ishmael is talking utter bollocks as well. We are part of the European continental plate and nothing he can say can change that. Trying to claim that we should not recognise that because they were only recognised 100 years ago is like trying to claim gravity did not exist before Newton worked out the laws.

The Continental plates have been around in their current form give or take a foot or two for a lot longer than the Channel which only appeared about 8000 years ago.

I am not talking bollocks, why would I deny that we are on the European continental plate? Of course I wouldn't. The point is, as you say, that you can't derive politics from geology - an extreme case of the rule that you can't derive "ought" statements from "is" statements. And if we are on a bollocks-spotting expedition, what on earth does longevity have to do with anything? A well educated ten year old could list a dozen times when the existence of the English Channel has been politically crucial to us. How does the existence of the European plate stack up against that?

We are on the European plate; Europe is on the European plate; ergo we are part of Europe is no more an argument than it is to say that if you are travelling on the same plane as the English cricket team, you must be part of the team.
    Shit, you cannot seriously still not have got the point, surely? Continents are big contiguous landmasses. Islands are smaller landmasses which by definition are not part of any continent. Being on the same tectonic plate as a continent does not imply being part of that continent. Tectonic plates do not correspond one to one with continents: there both are now and have been in the past multi-plate continents and multi-continent plates. Some geological facts (e.g. the English Channel), including some which depend on plate tectonics (e.g. the Pyrenees) have profound consequences for human history, and some do not.

Your question is exactly as penetrating and intelligent as saying: You claim that Boris Johnson does not play for Manchester United, so which premiership team does he play for, then?
  • Options
    Was today the day that Boris Johnson's leadership ambitions were finally extinguished?
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited November 2017

But the numbers are there. The Tories have borrowed more than any previous government. They have borrowed at a level which in 2010 Osborne was saying would turn the UK into Greece. So they are not in a strong position to criticise Labour plans - in fact a Tory Cabinet minister, Javid, has already come out in support of additional borrowing.

Nonsense. When Labour left office they were borrowing four pounds for every three raised in revenue - an eye-watering overspend, far worse than any other major economy in the world. Osborne got that deficit down from around 10% GDP to 2.6% of GDP, and, amazingly, did so whilst simultaneously reducing unemployment. It is a superb record by any standard, and completely vindicated his approach. Labour under its relatively sane previous management wanted to spend a lot more, and under its current barmy management wants to spend humoungous amounts more, so it's a bit rich to criticise the Tories for not spending less. Of course, Labour will no doubt shamelessly attempt to blame the Tories for not doing worse as Labour proposed, but no-one is going to be fooled.

It's disingenuous to make the deficit in 2010 defining for Labour, given in all forecasts it was a temporary high as a consequence of 2008. Osborne's austerity may have impacted growth enough to slow down deficit reduction compared to Labour's plan - it certainly made him miss his own targets by miles.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

So let's start with the 2010 deficit of £100bn; how do you think the Tories should have gone about borrowing less in that year?
  • Options

Was today the day that Boris Johnson's leadership ambitions were finally extinguished?

Still 3/1 at SunBets...
  • Options

One can hope.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Re photo of 9 Tories, what is the usual turnout for statements on Foreign Affairs?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    edited November 2017

It's disingenuous to make the deficit in 2010 defining for Labour, given in all forecasts it was a temporary high as a consequence of 2008. Osborne's austerity may have impacted growth enough to slow down deficit reduction compared to Labour's plan - it certainly made him miss his own targets by miles.
    Yet the impact of the LibDems on the Conservatives' original spending plans and profile of cuts was to push them back to pretty much the rate that Labour had itself proposed during the 2010 election under Ed Balls.....
  • Options

Been laying him for ages, but yes.

I thought the tipping point was when he said the EU could go whistle for the exit bill and Barnier replied with something along of the lines of 'I don't hear whistling, just the sound of a clock ticking down'
  • Options

I think it will, if Labour's manifesto is similar to the last one. I would certainly hope that the Conservatives won't repeat the mistake of letting McDonnell get away with his absurdities.
    That requires a Chancellor (and team) who are confident, articulate, intelligent and personable.

So certainly not Hammond.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dr_spyn said:

Re photo of 9 Tories, what is the usual turnout for statements on Foreign Affairs?

The benchmark is statements by Ministers who have made career limiting gaffes
  • Options

I doubt it. Boris is hilarious and very smart. Apparently.

More seriously, may is surely strengthened by just how out of his depth he is. Putting to one side the fact the she appointed him to a role that he is clearly unfit for, after today's performance and all the other gaffes, how could anyone seriously object to his removal and how could anyone, with a straight face, back him to be the next PM? The same applies to the ludicrously over-promoted Priti Patel, too, of course.

• Options

That requires a Chancellor (and team) who are confident, articulate, intelligent and personable.

And not kept locked in a cupboard by CCHQ.
  • Options

And not kept locked in a cupboard by CCHQ.
    At the moment, that is the best place for him.
  • Options

Hammond would do very well. It's a tragedy that he was sidelined in the GE2017 campaign; if he'd be allowed to go out and make the case as he wanted to, the PM, the party and the government wouldn't be in the mess they are in.
  • Options

So let's start with the 2010 deficit of £100bn; how do you think the Tories should have gone about borrowing less in that year?
    That is not the point I am making. I am not suggesting the Tories should have borrowed less - merely that they missed their own targets, their rhetoric about the UK becoming Greece was shown to be groundless and there is no likelihood of them balancing the books in the forseeable future. They have themselves borrowed at a level that a few years ago they said would be disastrous. Which makes it hard for them to criticise Labour for planning higher borrowing.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Shit, you cannot seriously still not have got the point, surely? Continents are big contiguous landmasses. Islands are smaller landmasses which by definition are not part of any continent. Being on the same tectonic plate as a continent does not imply being part of that continent. Tectonic plates do not correspond one to one with continents: there both are now and have been in the past multi-plate continents and multi-continent plates. Some geological facts (e.g. the English Channel), including some which depend on plate tectonics (e.g. the Pyrenees) have profound consequences for human history, and some do not.

Your question is exactly as penetrating and intelligent as saying: You claim that Boris Johnson does not play for Manchester United, so which premiership team does he play for, then?
    So the Isle of Wight is not part of Great Britain then? Yes, I understand that by a very strict definition it is a separate island from Great Britain proper, but pretty much anyone would agree it’s part of the geographical entity of Great Britain. And if not the Isle of Wight, how about the Isle of Sheppey? Or the Isle of Thanet? That used to be separated from the mainland by a natural channel, now filled in. What about the Isle of Dogs? Is that now not part of Great Britain the island because of the man-made docks? How about Eel Pie Island in the Thames?
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

More seriously, may is surely strengthened by just how out of his depth he is. Putting to one side the fact the she appointed him to a role that he is clearly unfit for, after today's performance and all the other gaffes, how could anyone seriously object to his removal and how could anyone, with a straight face, back him to be the next PM? The same applies to the ludicrously over-promoted Priti Patel, too, of course.

I imagine May will sack Boris the next time she needs something from the EU. Perhaps the head of Boris on a platter will be the price of beginning trade talks in December.
  • Options

Yes
    Rejoice
  • Options
    ONS release today.

Alcohol-specific deaths in UK: registered in 2016

Today's figures have been published using the new definition of alcohol-specific deaths.
    In 2016, there were 7,327 alcohol-specific deaths in the UK, an age-standardised rate of 11.7 deaths per 100,000 population.

The 2016 alcohol-specific deaths rate continues to remain unchanged since 2013 in the UK, but is still higher than observed 15 years ago.

In 2016, the male alcohol-specific death rate continues to be more than double the rate among females.

For both sexes, rates of alcohol-specific deaths were highest among those aged 55 to 64 years in 2016.

Scotland remains the constituent country with the highest rate of alcohol-specific deaths in 2016; yet Scotland has also seen the largest decrease in its rates since they peaked in the early 2000s.

In England, for both sexes, alcohol-specific rates in 2016 were significantly higher in the most deprived local areas when compared to the least deprived local areas.

• Options

That is not the point I am making. I am not suggesting the Tories should have borrowed less - merely that they missed their own targets, their rhetoric about the UK becoming Greece was shown to be groundless and there is no likelihood of them balancing the books in the forseeable future. They have themselves borrowed at a level that a few years ago they said would be disastrous. Which makes it hard for them to criticise Labour for planning higher borrowing.
    Of course they can criticise. Labour want to borrow more, the Tories less. While the pace may not have been at target, the direction of travel is clear.
  • Options

In Corbyn's own words; he won't borrow the money, he'll issue government bonds. That is terrifying.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SebastianEPayne: Why can't Boris admit he said the wrong this at the @CommonsForeign last week and apologise? This hole is just getting deeper.

The only practice he has ever had was when he was sent and told to apologise to the entire population of Liverpool.
  • Options

QTWTAIN
  • Options

In Corbyn's own words; he won't borrow the money, he'll issue government bonds. That is terrifying.
    The next thing you know the government will be creating bonds and buying them itself....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yet the impact of the LibDems on the Conservatives' original spending plans and profile of cuts was to push them back to pretty much the rate that Labour had itself proposed during the 2010 election under Ed Balls.....
    So which is it? Osborne reducing the deficit versus 'Labour [who] wanted to spend more' or is the difference really so slight? It's amazing how Labour can be castigated for not wanting to deal with the deficit on the one hand, and when the impact of austerity on growth is brought up the response is 'Labour planned pretty much the same cuts'.

I find this a good summary of the coalition's record: https://www.ft.com/content/2da09f02-cbe3-11e4-aeb5-00144feab7de

• Options

QTWTAIN
    Only because he used the word ambitions rather than prospects....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,315

Hammond would do very well. It's a tragedy that he was sidelined in the GE2017 campaign; if he'd be allowed to go out and make the case as he wanted to, the PM, the party and the government wouldn't be in the mess they are in.
    Maybe. There was a mood afoot and no amount of espousing post-neo classical endogenous growth theories could have helped much, IMO.
  • Options

But all government debt is issued in the form of bonds.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    TOPPING said:

Maybe. There was a mood afoot and no amount of espousing post-neo classical endogenous growth theories could have helped much, IMO.

It wasn't a question of post-neo classical endogenous growth theories, it was a question of pointing out how much extra tax and debt McDonnell's spending plans would impose on ordinary people, and how many jobs would be lost as a result of his policies.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    JonathanD said:

I imagine May will sack Boris the next time she needs something from the EU. Perhaps the head of Boris on a platter will be the price of beginning trade talks in December.
    I hope literally.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    JonathanD said:

Sounds like a win-win!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Exactly. Tell that to Corbyn.

"Corbyn replied: “What we will do is for the public ownership elements there’ll be an exchange for [sic] bonds for shares in it”. Neil suggested that this was still borrowing. “No, it’s not [borrowing]”, Corbyn replied, “it’s a swap of shares for a government bond”."

https://iea.org.uk/what-jeremy-corbyn-doesnt-know-about-government-debt/
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

To all those criticising Boris: have you actually listened to what he said rather than the partial quotes of it?

Although poorly worded (!) you could tell (by his adding "at the very limit") that he was referring to Iran's allegations against Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. In other words even if they were true it would still be unacceptable to jail her for it.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,315

TOPPING said:

It wasn't a question of post-neo classical endogenous growth theories, it was a question of pointing out how much extra tax and debt McDonnell's spending plans would impose on ordinary people, and how many jobs would be lost as a result of his policies.
    And my point was that the mood was afoot to try the outsider out and that was Jezza. Any amount of dry economic arguments by Hammond or anyone else would, IMO, have been of limited use against the prevailing what-are-you-rebelling-against-what-have-you-got mood.
  • Options

rpjs said:

"Corbyn replied: “What we will do is for the public ownership elements there’ll be an exchange for [sic] bonds for shares in it”. Neil suggested that this was still borrowing. “No, it’s not [borrowing]”, Corbyn replied, “it’s a swap of shares for a government bond”."

To be fair, perhaps he meant that the terms of the government bond would be more akin to confiscation than borrowing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And my point was that the mood was afoot to try the outsider out and that was Jezza. Any amount of dry economic arguments by Hammond or anyone else would, IMO, have been of limited use against the prevailing what-are-you-rebelling-against-what-have-you-got mood.
    Yes, you are right, but it wouldn't have needed a big shift in vote share to avert the GE2017 disaster.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

But the numbers are there. The Tories have borrowed more than any previous government. They have borrowed at a level which in 2010 Osborne was saying would turn the UK into Greece. .

So which is it? Osborne reducing the deficit versus 'Labour [who] wanted to spend more' or is the difference really so slight? It's amazing how Labour can be castigated for not wanting to deal with the deficit on the one hand, and when the impact of austerity on growth is brought up the response is 'Labour planned pretty much the same cuts'.

I find this a good summary of the coalition's record: https://www.ft.com/content/2da09f02-cbe3-11e4-aeb5-00144feab7de

The reality is that it is all just political knockabout.

Labour isn't to blame for the financial crisis any more than the Tories are to blame for the borrowing since then. The same things would have happened to pretty much the same extent, whoever was sitting in the chair.

Certainly we can blame Labour for ignoring the warnings (from Vince Cable among others) about the impending crisis, for going easy on the financial sector, and having the hubris to announce that it had "abolished boom and bust" in the middle of a massive credit boom. We can blame the Tories for putting too much emphasis on spending cuts and not enough on capital investment or raising money through fairer taxation. And for their policy of going even easier on big finance. And both parties are to blame for the QE programme, which turned out to be the slow acting poison that fuels much of the current day discontent.

But the reality is that most of the political decisions on the economy since 2008 (QE possibly excepted) have been around the margins of unavoidable events. It would have been better if we had never become so reliant on debt, public and private, over the decades prior. But no politician was advocating that - both our economy and our political system is set up to encourage precisely the opposite.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sorry Ishmael but this is clearly utter bollocks. The fact that the UK has a thin stretch of water separating it from the rest of the European continent is an accident of timing and sealevel which, whilst undoubtedly very fortunate for us, has absolutely no bearing on our connection to the European continental plate. The idea that you can change a the geological basis for a continent simply by changing the temperature by a couple of degrees is just plain dumb.

And the English Channel is not a geological fact. It might be a geographical one but geology has nothing to do with it.
  • Options

rpjs said:

To be fair, perhaps he meant that the terms of the government bond would be more akin to confiscation than borrowing.
    Didn't McDonnell say something about the "fair market value" being decided by him?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

'Trying to claim that we should not recognise that because they were only recognised 100 years ago is like trying to claim gravity did not exist before Newton worked out the laws.'

How does that work if he's talking about political identity and historical experience? Was the existence of the continental plate defining our political identity before we knew of it? Surely our perception of being an island apart from Europe moulded that far more strongly.
    But he is not talking about political identity or historical experience. Inexplicably he is actually trying to argue geologically (and with a geologist mind) that the UK is not part of the continent of Europe. He is even using the word geology to support his position. It is a stunning example of ignorance.
  • Options

Didn't McDonnell say something about the "fair market value" being decided by him?

Who knows, they were making it up as they went along, they couldn't care less about sound finances, they think all investors are by definition immoral leeches who deserve nothing, and they think the only thing that is ever wrong with government borrowing is that it's not high enough.

If we ever do (God forbid) get a Corbyn/McDonnell government, the clash with reality is going to be something extraordinary to behold.
  • Options
    Since Priti has been acting as if she is Foreign Sec, isn't she the obvious replacement for Boris?

#Priti2FO
  • Options

Who knows, they were making it up as they went along, they couldn't care less about sound finances, they think all investors are by definition immoral leeches who deserve nothing, and they think the only thing that is ever wrong with government borrowing is that it's not high enough.

If we ever do (God forbid) get a Corbyn/McDonnell government, the clash with reality is going to be something extraordinary to behold.
    The current lot are hardly taking reality in their stride?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

So the Isle of Wight is not part of Great Britain then? Yes, I understand that by a very strict definition it is a separate island from Great Britain proper, but pretty much anyone would agree it’s part of the geographical entity of Great Britain. And if not the Isle of Wight, how about the Isle of Sheppey? Or the Isle of Thanet? That used to be separated from the mainland by a natural channel, now filled in. What about the Isle of Dogs? Is that now not part of Great Britain the island because of the man-made docks? How about Eel Pie Island in the Thames?
    IOWEXIT, YNSMONEXIT
  • Options
    Pong said:
    He's 90. Do you think he needs deterring?

I expect he will be punishing himself already far more than any prison would.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The likely disaster of Brexit is hardly a reason to embrace the catastrophe of Brexit combined with McDonnell.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Kenya's Olympic marathon champion Jemima Sumgong has been suspended for four years for doping.

Between 2011 and 2016, more than 40 Kenyan track-and-field athletes failed doping tests.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/41903500

One or two can be put down to rogue athletes, but 40....some might say that is quite an accident.
  • Options

Pong said:
    He's 90. Do you think he needs deterring?

I expect he will be punishing himself already far more than any prison would.
    I'm not quite sure what Pong was suggesting, but I really don't see why the driver was prosecuted at all.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The likely disaster of Brexit is hardly a reason to embrace the catastrophe of Brexit combined with McDonnell.
    Much of the electorate will more likely be thinking 'in for a penny...'
  • Options
    A mother-of-five who encouraged terror attacks on the UK after joining a pro-ISIS Facebook group was spared jail after a judge said 'the sooner you get back to your children the better'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5058023/Mother-five-encouraged-terror-attacks-spared-jail.html

That will learn her....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, I think that is quite likely. That doesn't make it any more sensible.
  • Options

Since Priti has been acting as if she is Foreign Sec, isn't she the obvious replacement for Boris?

#Priti2FO

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    The Tories have increased the national debt by 50% - a huge amount of cash borrowed with no assets to show. The Labour plan was borrow money to buy assets, an entirely different proposition.

What entertains me most is this - Tories seem aghast at the idea of borrowing to invest. As this is at the very heart of capitalism it demonstrates how far removed they are from how business works. Perhaps because they're more interested in city types only interested in selling things off for a one time fee.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IOWEXIT, YNSMONEXIT
    Freedom for Tooting!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Government is in a parallel universe. They have achieved the unlikely feat of making Corbyn look a model of realism and sobriety compared to them.
  • Options

A mother-of-five who encouraged terror attacks on the UK after joining a pro-ISIS Facebook group was spared jail after a judge said 'the sooner you get back to your children the better'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5058023/Mother-five-encouraged-terror-attacks-spared-jail.html

That will learn her....

And further reinforce the disparity in the justice system.
  • Options

The Tories have increased the national debt by 50% - a huge amount of cash borrowed with no assets to show. The Labour plan was borrow money to buy assets, an entirely different proposition..

Ho ho ho. So the Labour plan was to cut welfare payments, pensions, education and the NHS faster than Osborne, but to borrow more for infrastructure?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

But he is not talking about political identity or historical experience. Inexplicably he is actually trying to argue geologically (and with a geologist mind) that the UK is not part of the continent of Europe. He is even using the word geology to support his position. It is a stunning example of ignorance.
    I am trying to argue that, because that is the case. You think the definition of "continent" has been updated. it hasn't. Europe is a continent. The British isles are islands close to the continent. They are on the same plate, but why does that make the one a part of the other? You are like someone claiming that that the everyday concept of "solid object" is obsolete since the discovery of atomic theory.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,316
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Come an election whenever that is no one can say at present, even remotely, they can predict the outcome in Parliamentary seats and the formation of a Government.

However if Corbyn and McDonnell were out of the picture labour would be odds on for a majority
  • Options
    Pong said:
    There's enough mitigating circumstances there for a non custodial sentence to be appropriate.

As a rule, judges don't like sending the elderly to prison for non violent, non sexual crimes.

Prisons don't have the facilities to deal with elderly prisoners.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

But the numbers are there. The Tories have borrowed more than any previous government. ... .

It's disingenuous to make the deficit in 2010 defining for Labour, given in all forecasts it was a temporary high as a consequence of 2008.
    Yet ....
    So which is it? Osborne reducing the deficit versus 'Labour ...

Certainly we can blame Labour for ignoring the warnings (from Vince Cable among others) about the impending crisis, for going easy on the financial sector, and having the hubris to announce that it had "abolished boom and bust" in the middle of a massive credit boom. We can blame the Tories for putting too much emphasis on spending cuts and not enough on capital investment or raising money through fairer taxation. And for their policy of going even easier on big finance. And both parties are to blame for the QE programme, which turned out to be the slow acting poison that fuels much of the current day discontent.

But the reality is that most of the political decisions on the economy since 2008 (QE possibly excepted) have been around the margins of unavoidable events. It would have been better if we had never become so reliant on debt, public and private, over the decades prior. But no politician was advocating that - both our economy and our political system is set up to encourage precisely the opposite.
    Most politics is definitely fiddling around the edges to give the material for journalists to over-inflate. I tend to agree except for the 'abolished boom and bust' comment, repeating a barney I had on here with someone the other day (i.e., everybody knew at the time that when 'boom and bust' meant the 'political business cycle' of chancellors fiddling about with interest rates to boost growth in the run up to an election - quite a different beast from the pre-2008 credit boom).

There was a really great essay by some 1970s Marxist on the increase in state spending, seeing it as a way of socialising the costs of reproducing capital (subsidising wages directly and indirectly, for instance) in order to offset the tendency for the rate or profit to fall - preventing crisis by storing it up for the future. I'll try to dig it out and see if it's still interesting.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The Government is in a parallel universe. They have achieved the unlikely feat of making Corbyn look a model of realism and sobriety compared to them.
    I would not go as far as that
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Come an election whenever that is no one can say at present, even remotely, they can predict the outcome in Parliamentary seats and the formation of a Government.

However if Corbyn and McDonnell were out of the picture labour would be odds on for a majority
    As long as they took Abbott, Thornberry, Cat Smith and many others with them.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

But the numbers are there. The Tories have borrowed more than any previous government. ... .

It's disingenuous to make the deficit in 2010 defining for Labour, given in all forecasts it was a temporary high as a consequence of 2008.
    Yet ....
    So which is it? Osborne reducing the deficit versus 'Labour ...

Most politics is definitely fiddling around the edges to give the material for journalists to over-inflate. I tend to agree except for the 'abolished boom and bust' comment, repeating a barney I had on here with someone the other day (i.e., everybody knew at the time that when 'boom and bust' meant the 'political business cycle' of chancellors fiddling about with interest rates to boost growth in the run up to an election - quite a different beast from the pre-2008 credit boom).

There was a really great essay by some 1970s Marxist on the increase in state spending, seeing it as a way of socialising the costs of reproducing capital (subsidising wages directly and indirectly, for instance) in order to offset the tendency for the rate or profit to fall - preventing crisis by storing it up for the future. I'll try to dig it out and see if it's still interesting.
    It was James O'Connor, 'The Fiscal Crisis of the State' from 1973 - actually a book, but I think I read an extract in a collection of essays. It was pretty good on analysing these long-term trends of state debt and its relation to the wider economy if I remember right.
  • Options

Thornberry is OK. She seems quite sane, and is certainly articulate. If the opposition comprised people like her and Keir Starmer they would be a credible alternative government.
  • Options

#Priti2FO

Like for like replacement would be a chuckle brother on a particularly bad day.
  • Options

The Tories have increased the national debt by 50% - a huge amount of cash borrowed with no assets to show. The Labour plan was borrow money to buy assets, an entirely different proposition..

Ho ho ho. So the Labour plan was to cut welfare payments, pensions, education and the NHS faster than Osborne, but to borrow more for infrastructure?
    That would get my vote.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pong said:
    I think it is justice. 90 year olds shouldn't be sent to prison except for the most serious of crimes like murder in my opinion.
  • Options

Thornberry is OK. She seems quite sane, and is certainly articulate. If the opposition comprised people like her and Keir Starmer they would be a credible alternative government.
    And she came out with the best political joke in recent years.
  • Options

The Labour plan was to alter the mix of cuts and tax increases, weighting it slightly more towards the latter, arguing that the impact on growth would be less harmful. The IMF has belatedly come to the same position...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Cat Smith is a political titan when compared to the C. Smith on the Tory benches...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

In the current circumstances , I think you are correct.Both Thornberry and Starmer look credible to me , when you compare the current cabinet.
  • Options

The Labour plan was to alter the mix of cuts and tax increases, weighting it slightly more towards the latter, arguing that the impact on growth would be less harmful. The IMF has belatedly come to the same position...
    Nonsense. The Labour 'plan', if that's not too strong a word, was to say that the deficit could be cut with no pain to anyone. We never did find out what if anything they actually proposed to do, but they seemed to oppose every single spending cut Osborne implemented, even the most obvious and painless.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,900

Kenya's Olympic marathon champion Jemima Sumgong has been suspended for four years for doping.

Between 2011 and 2016, more than 40 Kenyan track-and-field athletes failed doping tests.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/41903500

One or two can be put down to rogue athletes, but 40....some might say that is quite an accident.

40, that’s almost Russian.
This discussion has been closed.