Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest ConHome party members’ survey finds no clear preference

13»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    surbiton said:
    Improvement in balance of payments coming up? Excellent.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Tory MP @JohnStevensonMP in the backbench EEA debate said UK should join Efta which would “turbocharge Efta”

@faisalislam: @JohnStevensonMP Stevenson says that “damage is already happening” -£155m tyre factory due to be built in his constituency postponed and “may never happen”

because they "might" build it in southern england instead

http://www.in-cumbria.com/DMACKs-500-job-tyre-factory-could-be-built-in-southern-England-not-Carlisle-506caf83-690c-493b-b99f-06847eb1d446-ds

fkwit
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

LOL at the idea that JRM will defuse the abortion issue. It’s the kind of socially conservative view which will repel the voters the Conservatives need to win - the under 40s. The kind of voters who won’t be bothered by JRM’s views are the kind of voters who already vote Conservative. The Corbyn comparison doesn’t work in the sense that his controversial beliefs did bother voters - those who older, mainly. But that they didn’t cut ice with those who were younger - just as Corbyn repelled many voters, he also ended up attracting them. The problem for the Conservative Party is that they already have all the voters who entertain a JRM world view in their ranks; by contrast Labour did not have all those who entertained a Corbynite world view in its ranks pre-June 2017.

JRM will hold a free vote on abortion, not include a manifesto commitment to ban it and there are still a fair few Labour Catholic working class voters who oppose abortion.

Of course the Tories still got 2% more votes and almost 60 more seats than Labour even despite Corbyn getting all the Corbynites in his tent.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    HYUFD said:

The Tories are still in government and we are beginning talks on a FTA with the EU by the end of the year.

Ah yes, we've now agreed to pay the bill - 60 billion euros, is it ?

Haven't actually heard May or anyone in the Cabinet shouting this from the rooftops - that's 60 billion euros we'll be paying to leave, not zero, not "the EU can whistle" but 60 billion euros.

Perhaps you and the other Conservatives would like to explain how all the bluster leads to us paying pretty much what the EU wanted in the first place.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Tory MP @JohnStevensonMP in the backbench EEA debate said UK should join Efta which would “turbocharge Efta”

@faisalislam: @JohnStevensonMP Stevenson says that “damage is already happening” -£155m tyre factory due to be built in his constituency postponed and “may never happen”

http://www.in-cumbria.com/DMACKs-500-job-tyre-factory-could-be-built-in-southern-England-not-Carlisle-506caf83-690c-493b-b99f-06847eb1d446-ds

fkwit
    One story is because of Brexit, the other is despite Brexit. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The general election did not really suggest that. In fact Labour made a net gain in Leave seats from the Tories precisely because Corbyn promised to end free movement.

How can you make that assertion?

I did a great deal of canvassing in strongly pro remain London constituencies and it was clear that a large number of Tory remainers were voting Labour to protest about Brexit. They were furious about the whole thing and even though Corbyns personal position was lukewarm they knew that Labour was generally much more pro remain than the Tories. Nothing that has happened since the election suggests that these people will return to the Tory fold in the future.
    The Labour Leave campaign in Luton seemed strongly committed to the anti-EU cause, and put out very effective propaganda, which I helped to distribute. Those I talked to reckoned that Corbyn was privately on their side.
    Corbyn is fairly strongly anti-EU, I suspect. And I know for sure his close allies (like Milne and McDonnell) are entirely eurosceptic. They despise it as a neo-liberal corporate-capitalist swindle. The EU's actions towards Catalonia will only confirm their antipathy.
    But Corbyn now EU.
    Corbyn is both still committed to Brexit and to leaving the single market, hardly the sign of a passionate Remainer.
    Corbyn.
    Rubbi.
    You know fuck all.

"Labour would seek a transitional deal that maintains the same basic terms that we currently enjoy with the EU. That means we would seek to remain in a customs union with the EU and within the single market during this period. It means we would abide by the common rules of both." - Fully agreed shadow cabinet policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/26/keir-starmer-no-constructive-ambiguity-brexit-cliff-edge-labour-will-avoid-transitional-deal
    Ha Ha Ha! So you are saying a transition deal in which the Labour Party commits to remain in the single market 'during this period' ie something even the Tories are committed to for 2 years means Corbyn is a full on Remainer or soft Brexiteer? Of course not, once the transition period is over Corbyn will take us out of the single market.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

fkwit
    One story is because of Brexit, the other is despite Brexit. :smiley:
    faisal islam is an arse

• Options
    surbiton said:
    This is as a result of the hounding of diesel drivers which saw a 30% drop in sales.

The second hand market value has collapsed and therefore trading in for a new car becomes vastly more expensive

This is not Brexit - this is the toxification of owning a diesel car
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:
    Given there were warnings of a car loans bubble over the summer, this may not be the apocalypse we are looking for.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Just caught up with @cyclefree’s last thread. LOL. Spot on. Whatever we all did in our previous lives, I seriously hope we enjoyed it. Surely we deserve better than this? Applies to this thread too of course.

Wherefrom this sense that we are at the End of Days?

Meanwhile the autumn sun is shining, I have just got married to a beautiful woman half my age, and England have something like a decent football team.

WTF. Shut up everyone.

There's a Pratchett book (Jingo, I think) where the character Vimes reluctantly dashes off on a crazy mission, and later realises by doing so he prevented a war.

One day, in the not too distant future, we will look back in relief on the Brexit vote and think: Wow, we almost didn't go for it; how lucky we are.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Lol, Dermot Desmond being chased by the BBC about tax avoidance. The next day he fired off a letter to the reporter beginning with 'Are you a Rangers supporter?'.

Generally the narrative seems to have moved on from 'There's nothing crooked about using tax avoidance vehicles' to 'I am not avoiding tax by using these tax avoidance vehicles'.

Inevitable. Most people will see it as crooked even if it is legal, so it's a losing fight to try to argue the point.
    And they would be completely right by the way. Even if it’s legal what the hell is Lewis Hamilton thinking about in trying to save the VAT on his private jet? That’s his knighthood gone for a burton. Silly man.

As for those scumbags working for the BBC I don’t know whether to be more annoyed that the BBC paid them £2m of taxpayers money for that brain dead crud or that they thought they should save the tax on it rather than being incredibly grateful to much much poorer licence payers who will never see that kind of money in their entire lives.
    This is Lewis "I am moved to Switzerland to minimize my tax bill" Hamilton. Given that, why wouldn't he also do the same on his jet.

And Mrs Brown's Boys cast weren't trying to avoid tax, oh no no, they were simply trying to setup an arrangement so they could decide when they paid it...but the BBC are so used to paying talent via all sorts of tax efficient vehicles, sending payment to Mauritius wouldn't ever send any sort of red flag.
    This furore over Mrs Brown's tax does give another reason not to watch the horrible show!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The general election did not really suggest that. In fact Labour made a net gain in Leave seats from the Tories precisely because Corbyn promised to end free movement.

I canvassed quite a bit in the massive pro-Leave Nottingtham North constituency. I never met a single voter who cited Corbyn being pro-Leave or anti-free movement as a reason for voting Labour. The reality was just that people there disliked both the EU and the Tories, so at the referendum they vote Leave and at the GE they voted Labour. It wasn't my impression that many had given it much more thought than that.

In any case, while Corbyn is only mildly pro-EU, one bit he really approves of is free movement.
    You forget they do not have to all vote Tory to cost Labour.

A Labour Leave voter who goes to swing to Labour from the LDs, Greens, UKIP and the SNP than there was from the Tories.
    In Greater London, I think quite a few former Conservatives switched because of Brexit. Outside London, not so many (though note Oxford West, Bath, Reading East). In the Midlands, quite a few former Labour switched over Brexit.
    The only area there was a real switch to Labour from the Tories over Brexit was London but even there the Tories held seats like Putney, Finchley and Golders Green and Bromley which voted Remain, outside of London Labour won more Leave seats from the Tories than it did Remain seats.

Oxford West and Abingdon and Bath were both won by the LDs from the Tories, not by Labour.

The Tories did indeed pick up 4 Leave seats in the Midlands from Labour but that was far fewer than they were expecting to, especially given they lost 2 Midlands Leave seats to Labour.
    Labour gained the only seat in the West Midlands to vote against Brexit in Warwick and Leamington.
    They also gained Lincoln and High Peak in the East Midlands which voted Leave, so 2/3 of their gains in the Midlands were in Leave seats.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

It is bizarre. Yes UK politics is simultaneously chaotic and repetitive, at the moment (thanks mainly to Brexit), but the world as a whole, indeed poor old Britain, is hardly in a bad place, when you compare things to the past.

War is rarer than ever. No major nation is immersed in combat. ISIS have been defeated. Jihadism is a problem but compared to, say, Nazism or communism, as a global threat and human menace it is picayune.

Trump is a predictable idiot as prez - but he's not blowing up the world, he's just a symptom of American relative decline. Global growth is bowling along very nicely. China as deputy world policeman and next hegemonic superpower is actually not that bad a prospect (I've just been to Ethiopia where China is busily building railways and hospitals, and the locals are very grateful).

Meanwhile climate change is happening, but it ain't killing millions and it is very arguable a warmer world is better. Peak Oil turned out to be a myth, suddenly it turns out we have endless new unconventional gas and oil reserves, even as renewables come on tap and become properly competitive.

Soon we will say goodbye to the nastiness of the internal combustion engine, as electric cars, and driverless cars, take over. This will be a huge boon to the planetary environment, and a vast improvement in life opportunities for the old, blind, disabled, immobile.

Read across for drones, AI, Aug Reality, 5G, etc.

So the world is doing just fine.

How about Brexity old Blighty? We have the lowest unemployment on recent record, and our apparently wrecked and Brexited economy will probably grow faster than France or Italy this year, according to the IMF. A a supposedly crashed property market is just slowing down, but still growing. UBS have just announced that post Brexit they won't have to move 1000 jobs from London, maybe 250 or less. 5%. 1 in 20. Pff.

Meanwhile the autumn sun is shining, I have just got married to a beautiful woman half my age, and England have something like a decent football team.

WTF. Shut up everyone.
    You do realise you are supposed to stop having exciting sex when you are married? This excessive cheerfulness is wearing and unseemly.

International best selling authors apart real wages are falling and will continue to fall for some time yet as we gradually come to terms with the facts that (a) the world really doesn't owe us a living ; (b) we have not lived within our means for over 20 years now and the money is running out; (c) those pseudo Marxist intellectuals that we inexplicably left in charge of our education system have done our kids no favours at all and (d) there is almost no one in our Parliament that makes the bar of competent, let alone being capable of trying to address problems (a)-(c).
  • Options
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Lol, Dermot Desmond being chased by the BBC about tax avoidance. The next day he fired off a letter to the reporter beginning with 'Are you a Rangers supporter?'.

Generally the narrative seems to have moved on from 'There's nothing crooked about using tax avoidance vehicles' to 'I am not avoiding tax by using these tax avoidance vehicles'.

Inevitable. Most people will see it as crooked even if it is legal, so it's a losing fight to try to argue the point.
    And they would be completely right by the way. Even if it’s legal what the hell is Lewis Hamilton thinking about in trying to save the VAT on his private jet? That’s his knighthood gone for a burton. Silly man.

As for those scumbags working for the BBC I don’t know whether to be more annoyed that the BBC paid them £2m of taxpayers money for that brain dead crud or that they thought they should save the tax on it rather than being incredibly grateful to much much poorer licence payers who will never see that kind of money in their entire lives.
    I have always thought of Lewis Hamilton and his ilk as scumbags and the country owes him no loyalty at all. Very sorry that he won the World Championship.
    I wouldn't go that far but I am finding him waving the Union Jack from his cockpit more than slightly irritating in retrospect.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

surbiton said:
    This is as a result of the hounding of diesel drivers which saw a 30% drop in sales.

The second hand market value has collapsed and therefore trading in for a new car becomes vastly more expensive

The electric market is not yet mature enough to facilitate much second hand activity I guess
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Just caught up with @cyclefree’s last thread. LOL. Spot on. Whatever we all did in our previous lives, I seriously hope we enjoyed it. Surely we deserve better than this? Applies to this thread too of course.

It is bizarre. Yes UK politics is simultaneously chaotic and repetitive, at the moment (thanks mainly to Brexit), but the world as a whole, indeed poor old Britain, is hardly in a bad place, when you compare things to the past.

War is rarer than ever. No major nation is immersed in combat. ISIS have been defeated. Jihadism is a problem but compared to, say, Nazism or communism, as a global threat and human menace it is picayune.

Trump is a predictable idiot as prez - but he's not blowing up the world, he's just a symptom of American relative decline. Global growth is bowling along very nicely. China as deputy world policeman and next hegemonic superpower is actually not that bad a prospect (I've just been to Ethiopia where China is busily building railways and hospitals, and the locals are very grateful).

Meanwhile climate change is happening, but it ain't killing millions and it is very arguable a warmer world is better. Peak Oil turned out to be a myth, suddenly it turns out we have endless new unconventional gas and oil reserves, even as renewables come on tap and become properly competitive.

Soon we will say goodbye to the nastiness of the internal combustion engine, as electric cars, and driverless cars, take over. This will be a huge boon to the planetary environment, and a vast improvement in life opportunities for the old, blind, disabled, immobile.

How about Brexity old Blighty? We have the lowest unemployment on recent record, and our apparently wrecked and Brexited economy will probably grow faster than France or Italy this year, according to the IMF. A a supposedly crashed property market is just slowing down, but still growing. UBS have just announced that post Brexit they won't have to move 1000 jobs from London, maybe 250 or less. 5%. 1 in 20. Pff.

WTF. Shut up everyone.
    I was on holiday in Jersey last week with my wife. We had a fantastic time.

For the first time in my life, and, I'm almost ashamed to say this, I didn't miss pb.

We had an entire week of great weather, beach walks, terrific food and wine, and no-one anywhere mentioned Brexit once.

Bliss.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL at the idea that JRM will defuse the abortion issue. It’s the kind of socially conservative view which will repel the voters the Conservatives need to win - the under 40s. The kind of voters who won’t be bothered by JRM’s views are the kind of voters who already vote Conservative. The Corbyn comparison doesn’t work in the sense that his controversial beliefs did bother voters - those who older, mainly. But that they didn’t cut ice with those who were younger - just as Corbyn repelled many voters, he also ended up attracting them. The problem for the Conservative Party is that they already have all the voters who entertain a JRM world view in their ranks; by contrast Labour did not have all those who entertained a Corbynite world view in its ranks pre-June 2017.

JRM will hold a free vote on abortion, not include a manifesto commitment to ban it and there are still a fair few Labour Catholic working class voters who oppose abortion.

Of course the Tories still got 2% more votes and almost 60 more seats than Labour even despite Corbyn getting all the Corbynites in his tent.
    The Tories tried to win a majority on back of attempting to appeal to only baby boomers and middle aged WWC and it didn’t happen. Also, it sounds weird but don’t assume that Catholic neccessarily means ‘oppose abortion’: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/most-uk-catholics-back-right-to-abortion-2jh6970gr

Even that free vote will get many crowing. Look at how many of my generation reacted on twitter to the DUP.

The issue in the GE, is by losing the majority you’ve turned what looked like a total loser into a guy that could be a winner. The GE in a sense was the perfect result for Corbyn - and it may have even been the ideal result for Labour. It allowed the party to make sufficient gains to make the electoral landscape much more favourable to them next time round, allowed them for the first time in years to shape the political debate, and left the Tories to deal with the inevitable tricky Brexit fallout which Labour could capitalise on.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

HYUFD said:

Ireland is to the UK as Canada is to the USA.

Ireland gets all the snow? Not in Caherdaniel they do not. It is practically tropical down there :)
    I've been to Caherdaniel! I used to have to drive my old boss's dogs out there for the summer to his house nearby. His place was between Caherdaniel and Sneem, and we used to play golf at Waterville and Parknasilla while I was there. Oh, and this was his local petrol station :)image
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories are still in government and we are beginning talks on a FTA with the EU by the end of the year.

Haven't actually heard May or anyone in the Cabinet shouting this from the rooftops - that's 60 billion euros we'll be paying to leave, not zero, not "the EU can whistle" but 60 billion euros.

Perhaps you and the other Conservatives would like to explain how all the bluster leads to us paying pretty much what the EU wanted in the first place.

Crucially though it means we will ultimately get a FTA with the EU AND end free movement and replace it with a points system.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I canvassed quite a bit in the massive pro-Leave Nottingtham North constituency. I never met a single voter who cited Corbyn being pro-Leave or anti-free movement as a reason for voting Labour. The reality was just that people there disliked both the EU and the Tories, so at the referendum they vote Leave and at the GE they voted Labour. It wasn't my impression that many had given it much more thought than that.

In any case, while Corbyn is only mildly pro-EU, one bit he really approves of is free movement.

A Labour Leave voter who goes to swing to Labour from the LDs, Greens, UKIP and the SNP than there was from the Tories.
    In Greater London, I think quite a few former Conservatives switched because of Brexit. Outside London, not so many (though note Oxford West, Bath, Reading East). In the Midlands, quite a few former Labour switched over Brexit.
    The only area there was a real switch to Labour from the Tories over Brexit was London but even there the Tories held seats like Putney, Finchley and Golders Green and Bromley which voted Remain, outside of London Labour won more Leave seats from the Tories than it did Remain seats.

Oxford West and Abingdon and Bath were both won by the LDs from the Tories, not by Labour.

The Tories did indeed pick up 4 Leave seats in the Midlands from Labour but that was far fewer than they were expecting to, especially given they lost 2 Midlands Leave seats to Labour.
    Labour gained the only seat in the West Midlands to vote against Brexit in Warwick and Leamington.
    They also gained Lincoln and High Peak in the East Midlands which voted Leave, so 2/3 of their gains in the Midlands were in Leave seats.
    Plus Derby North.

Derby North and Lincoln were highly marginal and urban.

High Peak was a bad result but only slightly Leave and bordered Cheshire where the Conservatives did poorly.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:
    Given there were warnings of a car loans bubble over the summer, this may not be the apocalypse we are looking for.
    It is yet another illustration of the consequences of insanely low interest rates generating excess demand. Most of those loans went on cars built elsewhere. It has to stop.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You'd got to see the bigger picture, David.

Why aren't its top female stars earning hundreds of thousands a year being paid the hundreds of thousands the male stars are?
  • Options

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

You'd got to see the bigger picture, David.

Why aren't its top female stars earning hundreds of thousands a year being paid the hundreds of thousands the male stars are?
    Even odder since their top female star is actually a bloke.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.
    Bliss it is to be middle aged, middle class and rich.

But the next generation is likely bolloxed.

But not as badly as the generation following them.

We've spent the wealth they were expected to make (but likely wont because someone or something will make it instead somewhere in the third world).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On topic, the members vote only becomes relevant after the parliamentary vote.

If I had to call who'd come out as the top two in an MPs contest right now, I'd say Gove and Hunt (not Davis, who I think would be third) with Hunt top.

They both exude competence and purpose, have good, solid, steady cabinet experience, a record they can (and do) both defend, and a sense of vision.

That would be enough.

No way, they are both electoral poison, especially Gove and MPs know that. They are reasonable Cabinet Ministers but would be disasters as leaders.

Most likely it will actually be Davis and Rudd in the top 2 with MPs with Boris 3rd (Hunt would likely back Rudd and Gove may back Boris this time). Davis would then win the membership vote.

JRM will probably not stand for leader until the Tories return to opposition.
    I'm afraid I don't agree with you HYUFD. I don't see that they are poison or that they'd be disasters, whereas I can see both Davis and Rudd are lacking in skills to be PM.

They both have baggage, yes, but I'm confident both could reinvent themselves in office, although Gove would have the harder job.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The Tories tried to win a majority on back of attempting to appeal to only baby boomers and middle aged WWC and it didn’t happen. Also, it sounds weird but don’t assume that Catholic neccessarily means ‘oppose abortion’: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/most-uk-catholics-back-right-to-abortion-2jh6970gr

Even that free vote will get many crowing. Look at how many of my generation reacted on twitter to the DUP.

The issue in the GE, is by losing the majority you’ve turned what looked like a total loser into a guy that could be a winner. The GE in a sense was the perfect result for Corbyn - and it may have even been the ideal result for Labour. It allowed the party to make sufficient gains to make the electoral landscape much more favourable to them next time round, allowed them for the first time in years to shape the political debate, and left the Tories to deal with the inevitable tricky Brexit fallout which Labour could capitalise on.
    They still won most votes though and of course JRM would have nothing to lose.

Unlike May but like Corbyn everyone will expect him to lose his first general election and badly because he is 'too extreme' etc. Every extra vote that he gets will revive the right as much as Corbyn revived the left.

Of course if Corbyn does get in it would be at the head of a weak minority Labour government most likely and he would then have to deal with the Brexit aftermath and any compromises he agreed to make with the EU, especially over free movement, would be pounced upon by a leader of the opposition Rees-Mogg. While the weaker the economy the more the boost for Mogg.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

The electric market is not yet mature enough to facilitate much second hand activity I guess
    And that is a very real problem.

The paradox is that by toxifying diesel the diesel market has collapsed as people cannot sell them so they hang on to their diesels and car sales plummet.

This is likely to be a real problem for the car industry in the future and anyone suggesting it is Brexit related is only doing so as 'project fear' again with no knowledge of the real story behind the fall in numbers
  • Options
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I have always thought of Lewis Hamilton and his ilk as scumbags and the country owes him no loyalty at all. Very sorry that he won the World Championship.
    I wouldn't go that far but I am finding him waving the Union Jack from his cockpit more than slightly irritating in retrospect.
    The £252bn Apple have in Jersey is more vexing to me.

I suspect it will come to mind when I pay over the proles PAYE deductions next week.
  • Options

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile the .

We've spent the wealth they were expected to make (but likely wont because someone or something will make it instead somewhere in the third world).
    Even by 2050 we will still have a higher gdp per capita than India and most of the current third world, except perhaps China (if it does not revert to quasi Maoism under Xi) and be far better off than our ancestors were in the Victorian era or the Middle Ages.

You need to have some geographical and historical perspective.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Oh, I think Labour do have them all, give or take. Yes, there are some Greens, or SNP voters, but they've got pretty much anyone who's hard left.

The Conservatives need another 0.3%. It doesn't matter where they get them. I can't see an incompetent government getting that 0.3%, but who knows in 4 years' time?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Foxhunting animates (very strongly) a minority, but it wasn't an issue in GE2015, or GE2010, and it wasn't in GE2017 either for people who might otherwise have voted Conservative. I heard it twice from committed Labour voters.

Hmmmm. Maybe it was different in different consituencies, but where I was, people were constantly saying things like "I was thinking about voting Tory until I heard about fox-hunting".

IMO, the reason fox-hunting was an issue this time, whereas it wasn't in 2015, was because that kind of thing was "priced in" with Cameron; everyone saw him as a typical old-fashioned countryside Tory who would be into that kind of thing. With May on the other hand, people genuinely did think she was a different and more workingclass-friendly Tory at one time (in a way people NEVER thought about Cameron, despite his constant "hard working families" patter), so they were genuinely astonished to see that she supported one of the top signallers of old-fashioned, upper-class Tory politicians. It made them view all her other pronouncements about being a more worker-friendly Tory in a more sceptical way, I think.
    I think her mistake was to mention it during the campaign period.

But, in my experience, most of those who say "I was thinking about voting Tory until I heard policy X" really weren't, and had already decided not to do so a while ago. So it's post rationalisation on the untrendy policy.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2017

surbiton said:

I've just bought a 6 month old car (petrol), 5000 miles. 17k below showroom price. That is some depreciation. I'll cut my diesel use, but end up with two cars depreciating!

Edit - forgot the main point. No way I would buy a diesel right now.
  • Options
    Gordon brown really is unlucky politician...His memoirs are out tomorrow, but he is getting no publicity because of all the other news going on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plus Derby North.

Derby North and Lincoln were highly marginal and urban.

High Peak was a bad result but only slightly Leave and bordered Cheshire where the Conservatives did poorly.
    Derby North just reinforces the point then.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If I had to call who'd come out as the top two in an MPs contest right now, I'd say Gove and Hunt (not Davis, who I think would be third) with Hunt top.

They both exude competence and purpose, have good, solid, steady cabinet experience, a record they can (and do) both defend, and a sense of vision.

That would be enough.

No way, they are both electoral poison, especially Gove and MPs know that. They are reasonable Cabinet Ministers but would be disasters as leaders.

Most likely it will actually be Davis and Rudd in the top 2 with MPs with Boris 3rd (Hunt would likely back Rudd and Gove may back Boris this time). Davis would then win the membership vote.

I'm afraid I don't agree with you HYUFD. I don't see that they are poison or that they'd be disasters, whereas I can see both Davis and Rudd are lacking in skills to be PM.

They both have baggage, yes, but I'm confident both could reinvent themselves in office, although Gove would have the harder job.
    Swing voters would run a mile from both and they both poll very poorly, they are bright but not leaders.

Both Davis and Rudd poll better, though it will have to be a Leaver this time I think which means Davis.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.
    If you lose a vote, you think the world is going to hell. That's how a lot of Remainers feel.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.
    You do realise you are supposed to stop having exciting sex when you are married? This excessive cheerfulness is wearing and unseemly.

International best selling authors apart real wages are falling and will continue to fall for some time yet as we gradually come to terms with the facts that (a) the world really doesn't owe us a living ; (b) we have not lived within our means for over 20 years now and the money is running out; (c) those pseudo Marxist intellectuals that we inexplicably left in charge of our education system have done our kids no favours at all and (d) there is almost no one in our Parliament that makes the bar of competent, let alone being capable of trying to address problems (a)-(c).
    One of the things I'd like to see this Government attempt to address is Marxist influence in our education system.

I'd like more centre-right teachers, please.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Gordon brown really is unlucky politician...His memoirs are out tomorrow, but he is getting no publicity because of all the other news going on.

I'll give you a preview:

"I SAVED THE WORLD"

• Options

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

The £252bn Apple have in Jersey is more vexing to me.

I suspect it will come to mind when I pay over the proles PAYE deductions next week.
    Oh yes, don't get me started on Apple.
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL at 2017.

Unlike May but like Corbyn everyone will expect him to lose his first general election and badly because he is 'too extreme' etc. Every extra vote that he gets will revive the right as much as Corbyn revived the left.

Of course if Corbyn does get in it would be at the head of a weak minority Labour government most likely and he would then have to deal with the Brexit aftermath and any compromises he agreed to make with the EU, especially over free movement, would be pounced upon by a leader of the opposition Rees-Mogg. While the weaker the economy the more the boost for Mogg.
    The point I made in my previous post is that Corbyn had the room to get those extra votes. JRM doesn’t because those who are sympathetic to his world view already vote Tory. Elections will not just be fought on immigration, but on housing, on the cost of living etc. There is nothing about JRM that will really add anything for the Tories on that score. If you’re concerned about housing or the cost of living, you aren’t going to vote for someone who represents more neo-liberalism.

I’m not going to go into speculating so far into the future on what Corbyn government would actually do. On that score, pretty much anything could happen.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I'll give you a preview:

"I SAVED THE WORLD"

Wasn't that the summary and conclusion?
  • Options

I'll give you a preview:

"I SAVED THE WORLD"

Repeated on 200 pages...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,851
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile the .

Even by 2050 we will still have a higher gdp per capita than India and most of the current third world, except perhaps China (if it does not revert to quasi Maoism under Xi) and be far better off than our ancestors were in the Victorian era or the Middle Ages.

I agree with you and SeanT on this point (if not much else lol!). We have just watched the Gunpowder series back-to-back this evening. Not a great series tbh but it did bring home what a brutal place Britain was 400 years ago. Life is immeasurably better in so many ways, in particular in how we tolerate and treat one another as human beings.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I bought a new car (VW) for my wife in 2015, and another (Jaguar) for myself in 2017. Both petrols. Both on 4 year contracts.

I'm not going to buy another.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Personally I think Corbyn is actually more anti EU than May is, Corbyn was firmly anti EU in the 1980s and voted against the Maastricht Treaty in 1993, had he been a backbencher still and not Labour leader he would likely have voted Leave.

May by contrast was always a Remainer until the day after the referendum.

For sure
    Unlike your good sevles, I know him and discussed it with him shortly before the referendum. He isn't a huge admirer of the EU but thinks on balance that leaving is a bad idea. It's not a massive passion for him either way, though.

Exactly what he said in public, in fact. Generally he does say what he thinks, or if necessary he doesn't say anything: I can't think of an occasion when he told a convenient lie.

To be fair I think May doesn't lie either. In that respect, we are better served in our leaders than many give them credit for.
  • Options

Not because he is a deluded, boring, sanctimonious prat who never said anything witty* in his life then?

* I exclude "I saved the world" because, funny though it was, I think he meant it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be enough.

Swing voters would run a mile from both and they both poll very poorly, they are bright but not leaders.

Both Davis and Rudd poll better, though it will have to be a Leaver this time I think which means Davis.
    So you assert, but I think current polling is pretty meaningless.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rhubarb said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:
    It is yet another illustration of the consequences of insanely low interest rates generating excess demand. Most of those loans went on cars built elsewhere. It has to stop.
    New car sales are most certainly not a reflection of economic health.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile the .

Stagnation and debt then.

Those who already have will be okay (provided they don't have excessive expectations).

But for those that don't its going to be painful.
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.

One of the things I'd like to see this Government attempt to address is Marxist influence in our education system.

I would settle for centre left. But the influence of Marx/Marxist sociology on our teacher training is really mind boggling.
  • Options

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.

You'd have to up teachers' pay a lot imo... centre-right thinkers less likely to do a job like that for teachers' pay.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

How about Brexity old Blighty? We have the lowest unemployment on recent record, and our apparently wrecked and Brexited economy will probably grow faster than France or Italy this year, according to the IMF. A a 20. Pff.

Meanwhile the .

Even by 2050 we will still China (and historical perspective.

Those who already have will be okay (provided they don't have excessive expectations).

Compared to Medieval England or Victorian Britain for most people the word 'painful' is absurd.

Stagnation and debt is of course an ideological term to some extent, we had debt for decades after WW2 and relative stagnation until Thatcher.
  • Options

surbiton said:

I bought a new car (VW) for my wife in 2015, and another (Jaguar) for myself in 2017. Both petrols. Both on 4 year contracts.

I'm not going to buy another.
    My BMW 520d is 18 months old and now has only 7,000 miles on the clock and it is fantastic in every way including fuel mileage and performance.

I do not expect to change it for many years to come
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Meanwhile the .

I agree with you and SeanT on this point (if not much else lol!). We have just watched the Gunpowder series back-to-back this evening. Not a great series tbh but it did bring home what a brutal place Britain was 400 years ago. Life is immeasurably better in so many ways, in particular in how we tolerate and treat one another as human beings.
    Yes, certainly some people seem to think that anything that does not match, say 1998, in terms of peace and prosperity is Armageddon.
  • Options
    If Conservatives believe that young people are voting for Corbyn because the education system ‘is filled with lefties’ then they are going to have even more trouble gaining ground with my generation than I originally thought.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL at 2017.

Of course if Mogg.
    The point I made in my previous post is that Corbyn had the room to get those extra votes. JRM doesn’t because those who are sympathetic to his world view already vote Tory. Elections will not just be fought on immigration, but on housing, on the cost of living etc. There is nothing about JRM that will really add anything for the Tories on that score. If you’re concerned about housing or the cost of living, you aren’t going to vote for someone who represents more neo-liberalism.

I’m not going to go into speculating so far into the future on what Corbyn government would actually do. On that score, pretty much anything could happen.
    JRM doesn't need 'room to get those extra votes' he just needs to hold the votes the Tories already have.

42% for May was seen as below par, 42% for Rees-Mogg would be seen as an astonishing achievement.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Crucially though it means we will ultimately get a FTA with the EU AND end free movement and replace it with a points system.
    Ultimately. Perhaps after a decade or two. When most UK industry and commerce has relocated to the 27. As for a points system, we won't need one. Net immigration will be negative as the economy tanks and people move to better jobs overseas.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.

What a ridiculous post.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL at 2017.

Of course if Mogg.

Corbyn doesn't need 'room to get those extra votes' he just needs to hold the votes the Tories already have.

42% for May was seen as below par, 42% for Rees-Mogg would be seen as an astonishing achievement.
    He does if the Tories actually want a working majority where they can implement their agenda.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.

What a ridiculous post.
    +1.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Compared to Medieval England or Victorian Britain for most people the word 'painful' is absurd.

Stagnation and debt is of course an ideological term to some extent, we had debt for decades after WW2 and relative stagnation until Thatcher.
    People aren't going to be comparing their lifestyles to that of past ages or those of poorer countries.

They'll comparing their lifestyles to what they think they were promised and to the rich bloke in the nice house.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,429
    New thread, guys...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

WTF. Shut up everyone.

I would settle for centre left. But the influence of Marx/Marxist sociology on our teacher training is really mind boggling.
    Any examples?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LOL at 2017.

Of course if Mogg.

Corbyn doe.
    He does if the Tories actually want a working majority where they can implement their agenda.
    If Rees-Mogg even got to a hung parliament that would be as big an achievement for him as it was for Corbyn in making him a real contender for power.

Getting a working majority can come later.
  • Options

If Conservatives believe that young people are voting for Corbyn because the education system ‘is filled with lefties’ then they are going to have even more trouble gaining ground with my generation than I originally thought.

+1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Why are they voting for Corbyn?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

People aren't going to be comparing their lifestyles to that of past ages or those of poorer countries.

They'll comparing their lifestyles to what they think they were promised and to the rich bloke in the nice house.
    Most under 40s rent anyway (the average age of a first time buyer is now 37), for relatively low wages, it is not as if they are living in a land of milk and honey now.

Their parents maybe but as they get older so they will likely see improvements too.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    There are 688,000 people in the Saudi Armed forces, against 72,000 in the Lebanese.

In terms of disparity of force, it would be a little bit like Belgium declaring war on Russia.

So, I think we can conclude that - whatever the Saudi foreign ministry says - Lebanon has not declared war on Saudia Arabia.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

e.

WTF. Shut up everyone.

But my main point is irrefutable. For the vast majority of humanity, life has never been better. Ever.

For a small minority of westerners, life has stopped improving so easily, and maybe has stagnated in terms of pure income - but even then, our Millennial kids are enjoying the fruits of incredible new technology, energy-resources, artificial intelligence and communications.

For humanity, this is arguably a golden age. Be of good cheer, my dour Scottish friend.
    True, most westerners were spoilt rotten between 1960 and 2000. Arrogant of them to just expect that state of affairs to continue indefinitely.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Ultimately. Perhaps after a decade or two. When most UK industry and commerce has relocated to the 27. As for a points system, we won't need one. Net immigration will be negative as the economy tanks and people move to better jobs overseas.
    What nonsense, not even most UK exports now go to the EU and even Canada got is FTA in 7 years.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,476

Nou Fil

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798

Scott_P said:

fkwit
    That article was from before the referendum with an imminent announcement of where the factory was going to be based. Maybe they announced Carlisle and then postponed following the referendum. It fits the facts as stated.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    rcs1000 said:

There are 688,000 people in the Saudi Armed forces, against 72,000 in the Lebanese.

In terms of disparity of force, it would be a little bit like Belgium declaring war on Russia.

So, I think we can conclude that - whatever the Saudi foreign ministry says - Lebanon has not declared war on Saudia Arabia.
    And the geographical relationship is like Belgium declaring war on the Ukraine :-)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

U2 frontman Bono has responded to his name appearing in the Paradise Papers revelations. In a statement issued to the BBC, the singer said he would be "extremely distressed" if he was shown to be involved in "anything less than exemplary".

Says man whose band funneled their earnings through a low tax agreement in Holland rather than their home country of Ireland....

U2 frontman Bono has responded to his name appearing in the Paradise Papers revelations. In a statement issued to the BBC, the singer said he would be "extremely distressed" if he was shown to be involved in "anything less than exemplary".

Says man whose band funneled their earnings through a low tax agreement in Holland rather than their home country of Ireland....

“But I still haven’t found...where my taxes are”
This discussion has been closed.