Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The trend in the YouGov Brexit tracker edges towards those who

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited October 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The trend in the YouGov Brexit tracker edges towards those who think it is wrong

Above is my annotated version of the latest YouGov summary chart showing the top line responses since the referendum when the the firm’s tracker question was asked.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    First?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Second!
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Thud
  • Options
    As I have said before the remarkable thing given the completely over the top and down the other side gloom and doom that is on the media every single hour of every day is that the vote for leave has proved so robust.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,920
    DavidL said:

As I have said before the remarkable thing given the completely over the top and down the other side gloom and doom that is on the media every single hour of every day is that the vote for leave has proved so robust.

You obviously exclude the Telegraph, Mail, Sun and Express from the media!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. L, indeed.
  • Options
    Taps mic....sniff sniff...fake News...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,920
    FPT:

Mr. Elliot, considering a healthy woman in a bikini or a woman's back to be worthy of censorship is another black mark. Puritanism has no place in the UK.

You don't need to go back to 1600s Puritanism for bikinis or a woman's back to be censored. Any time pre-1920 would do - indeed for most of recorded history in this country such things would have been widely censored, or at the very least considered socially unacceptable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,253
    And phase 1 doesn't really involve any existential compromises - its only effect has been to demonstrate that we are in the weaker position. When phase 2 begins, people (and MPs) will not be able to avoid the implications of the choices that need to be made.
  • Options

And phase 1 doesn't really involve any existential compromises - its only effect has been to demonstrate that we are in the weaker position. When phase 2 begins, people (and MPs) will not be able to avoid the implications of the choices that need to be made.

They’ll be begging to join the euro in the end, won’t they? :smiley:
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    DavidL said:

Not really. Most people are not interested in the detail - they just think Brexit is happening and that's it. I work in a non-political environment and the topic hardly ever comes up in conversation. At board level people are very worried but they were all remainers anyway. But for ordinary people there has been very little impact - yet.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Notice there has been a poll showing "Brexit was right" in the lead since TMay returned from her vacation in August.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942
    DavidL said:

Indeed.

It's been non-stop, 24/7 doom and gloom since 24th June 2016 with absolutely no rebuttal at all from the Leave side....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Not really. Most people are not interested in the detail - they just think Brexit is happening and that's it. I work in a non-political environment and the topic hardly ever comes up in conversation. At board level people are very worried but they were all remainers anyway. But for ordinary people there has been very little impact - yet.
    Very little impact apart from the sharp decline in value of the pound and accelerating inflation.
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, it's cultural backsliding.

Liberties are hard to win and easy to give up, and on every side freedom of expression is being eroded because of religion, government and the desperate-to-be-offended. And the weasel Khan is going along with the nonsense.

Ban things whenever someone's offended and you'll ban a hell of a lot, and put the power of censorship into the hands of those who are most over-sensitive. It's bloody stupid.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

It's been non-stop, 24/7 doom and gloom since 24th June 2016 with absolutely no rebuttal at all from the Leave side....
    What a lot of crap. Clearly the Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun don't exit in your eyes.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

What a lot of crap. Clearly the Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun don't exit in your eyes.
    We’re all loyal to PB :D
  • Options
    I think Brexit is still an abstract concept.

Once we start seeing what Brexit actually means, be it sunlit uplands, or airplanes grounded and the port of Dover seized up, or something in between, then this polling becomes really critical.

Unless we start seeing consistent double digit leads for Wrong.
  • Options
    OysterOctopusOysterOctopus Posts: 29
    edited October 2017
    Considering the complete lack of opposing view to the Doom and Gloom narrative, in the midst of a very bad few months in the negotiations, the real news here is that the lead for 'wrong' is barely above margin of error.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited October 2017
    Apparently a mass stabbing in Poland at a shopping centre. No indication of motive.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I was thinking more of the BBC, Sky and C4, where most people get their news.
  • Options

Considering the complete lack of opposing view to the Doom and Gloom narrative...

Boris's article? A wave of 'WTO terms would be great' stories? A new unilateral free trade lobby blessed by Johnson and Fox? It's easy for the believers to get their fix if they're looking for it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Very little impact apart from the sharp decline in value of the pound and accelerating inflation.
    Come on Mike, we are both old enough to remember when inflation was a problem and it wasn't 3%. Modest inflation is about the only way we are ever going to cut our debt mountains down to size.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Bollocks.

You've missed Crush The Saboteurs, wanting people tried for treason, and John Redwood's Gordon Brownesque bullshit create fantasy forecasts so you can say you were right stuff?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

What a lot of crap.

Crikey! :D
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

DavidL said:

True but these things have happened before - they are not new phenomena and they are not yet severe enough for most people to question their judgment about Brexit.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Yes - people won't immediately see the loss from not having their hard working MEPs slaving away in Brussells...

• Options

Considering the complete lack of opposing view to the Doom and Gloom narrative...

Boris's article? A wave of 'WTO terms would be great' stories? A new unilateral free trade lobby blessed by Johnson and Fox? It's easy for the believers to get their fix if they're looking for it.
    Yes indeed, you have to really look hard for it. It's not the very politically switched on like us who swing polling results, it's the casual watchers of the news who do. And only one narrative has dominated the airwaves lately, as you acknowledge.
  • Options

Bollocks.

"Crap" from Mike. "Bollocks" from TSE.

Have I upset someone? :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Bollocks.

You're unable to rebut the substance of my message.

Noted.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

FPT:

Mr. Elliot, considering a healthy woman in a bikini or a woman's back to be worthy of censorship is another black mark. Puritanism has no place in the UK.

You don't need to go back to 1600s Puritanism for bikinis or a woman's back to be censored. Any time pre-1920 would do - indeed for most of recorded history in this country such things would have been widely censored, or at the very least considered socially unacceptable.
    That would depend a lot on the period and the social circles you mixed in. A woman's naked back would be considered nothing unusual at the Court of Charles II, but would have caused outrage in the rest of society at the time.

Gregory King made a very useful distinction between the Great and the merely Rich. The Great could get away with flouting society's moral codes, the Rich could not.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Reasons to be cheerful, part 1.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Mike Smithson is Faisal Islam and I claim my 50 billion euros, or maybe more.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

GIN1138 said:

Bollocks.

Noted.
    Perhaps he doesn't understand it? What has Redwood done, and is it meant to end ”the right stuff”? Or a Yorkshire ”reet stuffed”?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,568

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    I want a Burgundy coloured one.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,523
    DavidL said:

Bruno is missing Strictly this week; the first time in 13 years.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    I want a Norwegian one, those ones are proper stylish.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    It's Friday afternoon; don't get us started on wine, women and song or we'll never stop.

Edit: Oxford comma not required @TSE.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    They are cool. And seem to have a choice ofcolours.
  • Options
    "Overall this suggests that opinion might just be shifting though, of course, we need more polling."

It suggests nothing other than the changing vicissitudes of the way the press reports the negotiations.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    I thought the colours were for normal/diplomatic/refugee
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

DavidL said:

And the Radio 4 today programme.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Im afraid he is right. The BBC has been relentlessly negative and BBC News has an audience many times that of the Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun combined.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    Oh. You are right, and that is much less cool: "either white, turquoise or red for immigrant, diplomat and standard passports respectively." Colour coding immigrants makes me think of yellow stars.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Im afraid he is right. The BBC has been relentlessly negative and BBC News has an audience many times that of the Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun combined.
    The Mail has a readership (online) of what, 3m? Dwarfing other media outlets. And it is essentially a direct link from John Redwood's synapse output to its front page.

(I appreciate most people will skip straight to whichever sidebar of shame article catches their fancy, but still.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    Oh. You are right, and that is much less cool: "either white, turquoise or red for immigrant, diplomat and standard passports respectively." Colour coding immigrants makes me think of yellow stars.
    Isn’t it just a temporary passport, for those that don’t have any passport of their own (stateless). The UK one is blue (lucky buggers!)

http://www.leedsimmigrationservice.org/Travel-Document.jpg
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Sky News is relentlessly negative too. Faisal Islam has lost the ability to be objective about Brexit, if he ever had it, and Ed Conway's reporting on the OECD report this week was cringeworthy. Talk about cherry picking the parts of the report to fit the narrative!

• Options
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

Bollocks.

Noted.
    I probably could offer you a rebuttal but;

1. Somone will be along soon enough to do it far better than me.

2. My life is too short to spend arguing about Brexit on here day after day.

Ave It is right... Brexit's boring! :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,203

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    There's a point here that the older dark-blue brigade fail to notice: a generation of people, possibly two generations, have been raised with burgundy passports. They might not like a change as much as the old 'uns want to change.

For instance, my passports have always been burgundy. I quite like my collection of three burgundy passports, and don't want a dark blue one spoiling it - even worse, a dark blue that might be mistaken for Oxford Blue ...

(Shudders)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Bollocks.

Noted.

Chicken.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Bollocks.

Noted.

It's boring but the only game in town and the birthplace of a zillion betting opportunities.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Sky News is relentlessly negative too. Faisal Islam has lost the ability to be objective about Brexit, if he ever had it, and Ed Conway's reporting on the OECD report this week was cringeworthy. Talk about cherry picking the parts of the report to fit the narrative!

I assume your criticised John Redwood for that as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    For those shopping for a new passport, as Burgundy is so last season, there is this useful little list.

I see our current passport is 5th (equal) in the world for visa free travel:

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php?ccode=ca

• Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)
    There's a point here that the older dark-blue brigade fail to notice: a generation of people, possibly two generations, have been raised with burgundy passports. They might not like a change as much as the old 'uns want to change.

For instance, my passports have always been burgundy. I quite like my collection of three burgundy passports, and don't want a dark blue one spoiling it - even worse, a dark blue that might be mistaken for Oxford Blue ...

(Shudders)
    The best thing about the current passport, as opposed to the old passport, was that the new one fits easily in your pocket.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    No-one could spin this government's Brexit implementation so far. It has obviously been rubbish.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)

(Shudders)
    I'd rather keep Burgundy if it means I don't have to queue for hours waiting to get into France, whilst all the other EU nationals swan past me and are waved through.

The dark blue brigade are probably the same people who came up with UKIP's policy of requiring ties to be worn at the theatre.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No-one could spin this government's Brexit implementation so far. It has obviously been rubbish.

The only explanation is that Mrs May is trying to sabotage Brexit.

The warning signs were there when she appointed Boris Johnson, David Davis, and the disgraced Liam Fox to key Brexit roles.

Theresa's not all bad.

#TheresaMustStay.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)

(Shudders)
    The best thing about the current passport, as opposed to the old passport, was that the new one fits easily in your pocket.
    I think that size and soft cover are now international standard.

Blue seems to be the favoured colour in Latin America and Sub Saharan Africa.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The warning signs were there when she appointed Boris Johnson, David Davis, and the disgraced Liam Fox to key Brexit roles.

Theresa's not all bad.

#TheresaMustStay.
    I wish she were that clever.
  • Options
    What - and whisper this quietly - if the negotiations end up going quite well?! Now there's a thought.

It might turn out that Merkel etc, after all the bluster, will be similarly pragmatic and a deal will be done.....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Theresa's not all bad.

#TheresaMustStay.
    Appointed that stellar trio as opposed to who or rather whom, whom and whom?

When Dave and George followed the money and made for the emergency exit they knew very well they were handing over the ship of state to a collection of arsehats, none of whom one would trust to sit the right way round on a lavatory. Thanks, guys.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

Theresa's not all bad.

#TheresaMustStay.
    Appointed that stellar trio as opposed to who or rather whom, whom and whom?

When Dave and George followed the money and made for the emergency exit they knew very well they were handing over the ship of state to a collection of arsehats, none of whom one would trust to sit the right way round on a lavatory. Thanks, guys.
    Michael Gove as Brexit Secretary, Dominic Raab as International Trade Secretary, and say Jeremy Hunt as Foreign Secretary would have been a damn sight more competent than the current shower of shit.

But Mrs May, because she clashed with Gove and Raab in the past, decided to sack them because she's a vindictive idiot and doesn't think about her country only about humiliating those she thinks she is better than.
  • Options

What - and whisper this quietly - if the negotiations end up going quite well?! Now there's a thought.

It might turn out that Merkel etc, after all the bluster, will be similarly pragmatic and a deal will be done.....

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Yougov had Remain ahead by 2% in its final EU referendum poll and Leave won by 4%.

So if a net 3% with Yougov now think Brexit was wrong on the same error Leave would still be ahead by 3%.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

The Mail has a readership (online) of what, 3m? Dwarfing other media outlets. And it is essentially a direct link from John Redwood's synapse output to its front page.

(I appreciate most people will skip straight to whichever sidebar of shame article catches their fancy, but still.)
    The Telegraph is equally just clickbait, needed only for Matt. It is currently offering a rather good deal which is access for a year for £100 and get a year's free Amazon Prime (available even if you already have Prime, as I do). So that's effectively £21 for a year's access and I still don't think I'll bother. The only papers I read for political content are the Guardian and the Standard.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

It'll be all right on the night.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

The Telegraph is equally just clickbait, needed only for Matt. It is currently offering a rather good deal which is access for a year for £100 and get a year's free Amazon Prime (available even if you already have Prime, as I do). So that's effectively £21 for a year's access and I still don't think I'll bother. The only papers I read for political content are the Guardian and the Standard.
    It's amazing how bad the Telegraph website is. Is the paper itself full of similar guff?
  • Options
    Mr. Bridge, I'll believe that when I see it. Hope you're right, but not betting on it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    Lets do it!

Kick this crazy Brexit into touch. The People Have Spoken
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

It's amazing how bad the Telegraph website is. Is the paper itself full of similar guff?
    Yup, it is the print equivalent of clickbtait.

I grew up reading The Telegraph, they had excellent foreign coverage, now there is feck all
  • Options
    I'm filling in a Populus poll, and one of the questions is, do you consider yourself working class?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

I grew up reading The Telegraph, they had excellent foreign coverage, now there is feck all
    Every British newspaper has declined in terms of quality over the last 10 years with the possible exception of the Financial Times.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Every British newspaper has declined in terms of quality over the last 10 years with the possible exception of the Financial Times.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/921338941042839552
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

I actually check sites like PB before the newspapers these days because I'm more likely to find out what's going on here than there.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    My own unhelpful view is that we haven't enough reliable information to judge whether the negotiations are going well and how likely they are to succeed or fail. (Supply your own definitions.) Journalists spout claptrap to fill the airwaves based on the same limited data available to anyone plus rumors and dodgy briefings. Added to that almost all commentors are pushing an agenda.
  • Options
    At Victoria the Telegraph does free water if you buy an issue. It might increase circulation numbers , but people hand the newspaper back and keep the water.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Juncker is indefensible. What with the drinking and the Amazon tax case he epitomises everything most wrong and horrible about the EU, and if I were a Europhile I would go out of my way to avoid referring to him in any context whatever.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Juncker is indefensible. What with the drinking and the Amazon tax case he epitomises everything most wrong and horrible about the EU, and if I were a Europhile I would go out of my way to avoid referring to him in any context whatever.
    The fact that the UK seceded on his watch and he kept his job tells you all you need to know.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

I think The Times has improved a lot as well. I went from The Telegraph to The Times around 2006.

The Barclay Brothers really has ruined The Telegraph.

Bring back Lord Black.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, the only newspapers worthy of their names now are the Times and the Guardian. Even though I do not support the Guardian's political stance on most issues it does its best to be informative and accurate. The Telegraph is now a rag pandering to the same sort of audience in terms of content as the Mail and Express did 20 years ago.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, the only newspapers worthy of their names now are the Times and the Guardian. Even though I do not support the Guardian's political stance on most issues it does its best to be informative and accurate. The Telegraph is now a rag pandering to the same sort of audience in terms of content as the Mail and Express did 20 years ago.
    Maybe but the Telegraph is the biggest selling broadsheet
  • Options

Considering the complete lack of opposing view to the Doom and Gloom narrative, in the midst of a very bad few months in the negotiations, the real news here is that the lead for 'wrong' is barely above margin of error.

Have you considered that those anticipating the doom and gloom known as 'Project Fear' were right all along?
  • Options

Mr. Bridge, I'll believe that when I see it. Hope you're right, but not betting on it.

Maybe not. But the point is that this purports to be a betting site. And, arguably, there is quite a lot of "Brexit failure" priced into political markets,

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I'm filling in a Populus poll, and one of the questions is, do you consider yourself working class?

Working?- yes. Class? - pass.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Jonathan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

The fact that the UK seceded on his watch and he kept his job tells you all you need to know.
    We haven't seceded yet, as all good Remainers will be eager to tell you upon hearing any good economic news.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

Maybe but the Telegraph is the biggest selling broadsheet
    Always was, and I suspect the free with a bottle of water deal helps it a lot because it is presented as buy newspaper and get free water rather than vice versa, so counts as sale not giveaway.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Do you ever wonder what impression Boris Johnson gives our European partners of us?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited October 2017
    Updated Scotland forecast - SNP(+10) , SCON (-4), SLAB (-4), SLID (-2)

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/scotland.html
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/polls_scot.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Do you ever wonder what impression Boris Johnson gives our European partners of us?
    I don't have to wonder, I know, and I agree it's embarrassing. But he is sober, at least in public, and has nothing on the scale of Project Goldcrest in his past.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    I got my American passport the other week. It has a picture of Voyager I inside the cover, so I think I win.

And it's blue.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I got my American passport the other week. It has a picture of Voyager I inside the cover, so I think I win.

And it's blue.

Donald Trump.

(you lose)
  • Options
    rpjs said:

And it's blue.

Half the cabinet would kill for a blue passport.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044
    Chimes with much of the chatter about newspapers. Balanced and fair, with an attempt to get all sides of the story. No conflation of fact with opinion. Sort of report which wouldn't appear in our newspapers.
    Some of the best journalism is done Online by the likes of Buzzfeed and Vice these days.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

1) Blue passports.

2) see 1)

(Shudders)
    I think that size and soft cover are now international standard.

Blue seems to be the favoured colour in Latin America and Sub Saharan Africa.
    Is the reason you're not at the King Power stadium chanting 'Srivaddhanaprabha out!' because you can't pronounce it?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,993
    All this thread is telling me is that if we were to re-run the Brexit referendum we *might* get a 52/48 split in favour of remain this time. Which if acted on would be the one of the biggest middle fingers up to democracy of all time, and true proof that the EU will have you voting again and again until you give the right answer, just as they did in Ireland. It would be the death knell of democracy. The Monty Python parrot of democracy. If you think we're a joke now, wait until our democracy becomes a Norwegian Blue.

I say this as somebody who probably agrees with the strand of thought that says Brexit will be an act of economic self harm, but there is more to life than money. The right to determine, and dispatch, one's political masters, is one of them.

What I suspect we are seeing here is a small marginal uptick in the number of people who *lack faith in the government's ability to carry out Brexit* rather than any kind of ideological shift. How many people here have changed their minds in a year of non stop argument about it?

I don't believe Brexit will be a success. I don't believe the Tories will make a good job of it. But for me, even the hardest, cluster***k Brexit beats the terrible consequences of telling half the population their vote didn't count.
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

The Telegraph has been highlighting this today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/ballet/bolshoi-brothel-oligarchs-claims-former-ballerina/

This also has prominence:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/16/farmer-shouts-get-land-uses-quad-bike-confront-hunt-saboteurs2/
  • Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.

The Telegraph has been highlighting this today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/dance/ballet/bolshoi-brothel-oligarchs-claims-former-ballerina/

This also has prominence:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/16/farmer-shouts-get-land-uses-quad-bike-confront-hunt-saboteurs2/
    Looking at those, no journalist has put their name to those articles.

That's never a good sign.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

All this thread is telling me is that if we were to re-run the Brexit referendum we *might* get a 52/48 split in favour of remain this time. Which if acted on would be the one of the biggest middle fingers up to democracy of all time, and true proof that the EU will have you voting again and again until you give the right answer, just as they did in Ireland. It would be the death knell of democracy. The Monty Python parrot of democracy. If you think we're a joke now, wait until our democracy becomes a Norwegian Blue.

I say this as somebody who probably agrees with the strand of thought that says Brexit will be an act of economic self harm, but there is more to life than money. The right to determine, and dispatch, one's political masters, is one of them.

What I suspect we are seeing here is a small marginal uptick in the number of people who *lack faith in the government's ability to carry out Brexit* rather than any kind of ideological shift. How many people here have changed their minds in a year of non stop argument about it?

I don't believe Brexit will be a success. I don't believe the Tories will make a good job of it. But for me, even the hardest, cluster***k Brexit beats the terrible consequences of telling half the population their vote didn't count.

That is indeed the aim of some people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-democracy
This discussion has been closed.