Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Tories are still paying the price for Cameron’s failur

13»

Comments

• Options
    FF43 said:

Same old conversation tonight with the remainers and leavers stuck in their own positions.

As far as I am concerned whatever will be, will be, and life is too short to be fighting the referendum month after month.

However, the significant news today is that Nicola (at last) is going to use her tax raising/reducing powers. Will be interesting to see how different tax rates influence the debate on tax and how the Scots take on the rest of the UK either in higher or lower taxes

Do you think the government should aim to retain the customs union and single market access and as far as possible current third country trade deals for the medium term and on EU rules and terms? Or do you think we should move quickly to make a clean and total break and let the chips fall where they may? The first is supported by about half of Conservatives and most of everybody else. The second by the other half of Conservatives. To me that has been the interesting question since the referendum.
    To give you my honest answer I think we should offer a transition deal of no more than three years where we remain in the EU and pay in our contributions, accept free movement and the ECJ but conditional that a trade deal is agreed in principal by the end of the transition (say 2020) and that we make a fair cash settlement, both on legal and moral grounds, to maintain goodwill, co-operation and mutually beneficial trade.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Any predictions for May's surprise on the 21st?

- A rehash of Lancaster House with added aggression?
    - A major shift on the long term goal towards staying in the single market? (Based on the leaked Home Office papers this seems impossible.)
    - A dramatic move on Northern Ireland? Perhaps announcing a request for special status or even calling a border poll.

Resignation before Conference. BoJo to take the reins.

Cripes!

• Options
    The Moldova band has just murdered the greatest Anthem in the World. Come on Wales
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    2010!

The first of the trilogy!!

2010-2015-2017!!!

3-0
    3-0
    3-0!!!!!!!!

PS I thought Mike was supposed to be on holiday?
  • Options

Any predictions for May's surprise on the 21st?

- A rehash of Lancaster House with added aggression?
    - A major shift on the long term goal towards staying in the single market? (Based on the leaked Home Office papers this seems impossible.)
    - A dramatic move on Northern Ireland? Perhaps announcing a request for special status or even calling a border poll.

Resignation before Conference. BoJo to take the reins.

Cripes!

I would not be surprised if she made an offer direct to each Head of State in the EU followed by an official letter to each.

Boris to Party Chairman and Jacob Rees Mogg into cabinet
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,937

FF43 said:

Same old conversation tonight with the remainers and leavers stuck in their own positions.

As far as I am concerned whatever will be, will be, and life is too short to be fighting the referendum month after month.

However, the significant news today is that Nicola (at last) is going to use her tax raising/reducing powers. Will be interesting to see how different tax rates influence the debate on tax and how the Scots take on the rest of the UK either in higher or lower taxes

Do you think the government should aim to retain the customs union and single market access and as far as possible current third country trade deals for the medium term and on EU rules and terms? Or do you think we should move quickly to make a clean and total break and let the chips fall where they may? The first is supported by about half of Conservatives and most of everybody else. The second by the other half of Conservatives. To me that has been the interesting question since the referendum.
    To give you my honest answer I think we should offer a transition deal of no more than three years where we remain in the EU and pay in our contributions, accept free movement and the ECJ but conditional that a trade deal is agreed in principal by the end of the transition (say 2020) and that we make a fair cash settlement, both on legal and moral grounds, to maintain goodwill, co-operation and mutually beneficial trade.
    Sorry to force the question. If the "transition" is just continuity or a can kicking exercise, would you say, stick somewhat with what we have, or go for a clean and total break?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Sorry to force the question. If the "transition" is just continuity or a can kicking exercise, would you say, stick somewhat with what we have, or go for a clean and total break?
    At the end of transition we would be completely out of the EU
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,937

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

At the end of transition we would be completely out of the EU
    Thanks. It will be interesting to see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.