Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Tories are still paying the price for Cameron’s failur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited September 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Tories are still paying the price for Cameron’s failure to win a majority in 2010

On May 11th 2010, my birthday as it happens, David Cameron was able to enter Downing Street even though he’d failed to win a majority as a result of the coalition deal with Nick Clegg’s Lib Dems.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    First!

And OGH is only 7? They sure grow up fast these days :smiley::p
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The ideal solution would be for Boris Johnson to take over as Prime Minister, while Theresa May uses her personal warmth and natural charm as a person-person to negotiate a settled agreement between Kim Jong Trump and Donald Un. If that doesn't work, then after the nuclear war we should try Jacob Rees-Mogg as PM and Andrea Leadsom as Fon Setry.
  • Options
    FPT:

What the posters lauding the McDonald's strikers are failing to realise when they talk about unionisation and ending ZHC's is that only two branches were affected, and that one apparently remained open for business.

Now, it might be the start of something bigger. Or it might be a handful of people making a lot of noise about something their fellow workers care little about. Or even a few people acting for political rather than socio-economic ends.

It certainly isn't a signal for something drastic to be done, yet.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,122
    According to the Beeb’s Quiz asking what was top of the betting for the name of the new Roral baby: ' It’s Alice, according to Labrokes and William Hill. .’

Seems to be an assumption it’ll be a girl! Otherwise the poor little chap will have a terrible time at school!
  • Options
    RobD said:

First!

And OGH is only 7? They sure grow up fast these days :smiley::p

Tough paper round
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

According to the Beeb’s Quiz asking what was top of the betting for the name of the new Roral baby: ' It’s Alice, according to Labrokes and William Hill. .’

Seems to be an assumption it’ll be a girl! Otherwise the poor little chap will have a terrible time at school!

Don't be so transphobic! ;)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    Those extra 50 Lib Dem peers were because the Lib Dems were underrepresented in the Upper House compared to their representation in the Commons and their share of the popular vote, yes? So about 60 of the Lib Dem peers presumably don't vote now on the same basis? Or are the Lib Dems as hypocritical as the rest of the parties after all? Would they really have the balls to use this over representation to defeat the referendum result?

Interesting that Nick Clegg hasn't taken up residence. I wonder if he thinks there is still a way back to the Commons. Not if they behave like that there isn't.
  • Options
    Yay, we haven't had a constitutional crisis in decades, this would be like if Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and Baldwin had called an election.

Mrs May if you need to create a few hundred new Tory working peers myself and JohnO are willing to serve.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,837
    Second! (time round)
  • Options
    Also nonsense, Dave did very well taking the Tories from 198 MPs to 308 MPs, the failure lies with the Tory headbangers that gave us William Hague and IDS over Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    It's like deja vu all over again.
  • Options

Yay, we haven't had a constitutional crisis in decades, this would be like if Edward VIII hadn't abdicated and Baldwin had called an election.

Mrs May if you need to create a few hundred new Tory working peers myself and JohnO are willing to serve.

I could be a crossbench peer. I am very cross.
  • Options
    Apologies for the confusion, the handover from Mike to myself wasn't smooth as usual, so that's why we had two threads published within 30 mins of each other this morning.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942

Apologies for the confusion, the handover from Mike to myself wasn't smooth as usual, so that's why we had two threads published within 30 mins of each other this morning.

*tut*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

Also nonsense, Dave did very well taking the Tories from 198 MPs to 308 MPs, the failure lies with the Tory headbangers that gave us William Hague and IDS over Ken Clarke.

Well we have JRM to look forward to soon it seems!
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    I don't buy that about the 7 weeks being because of the parliament act. Labour made it very clear they wanted the Tories to 'Bring it on' in terms of an election. Unless they thought Labour were bluffing!

Same reason why I think the SNP would vote for a vote of no confidence if it came up ( though that's more because their voters would abandon them if they are seen to prop up a Tory govt). its not a good look for a party to be scared to go to the voters
  • Options
    They're really paying the price for being infiltrated by people like IDS, Hannan, Carswell and assorted extremists. They should never have been allowed near a candidate selection committee.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,521
    Scott_P said:
    pity the poor Cons MPs looking to head off for a long weekend here, a focus group trip there....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,069

I'm hoping you didn't have to pry the keyboard from his hands ?
  • Options
    Some useful, though not infallible guidelines for reading stories about the Trump investigation:
    https://lawfareblog.com/how-read-news-story-about-investigation-eight-tips-who-saying-what
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Ministers - taking back control. All the Tory "parliament is supreme" PBers here completely shtum. Strange. Normally you can't stop them.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ministers - taking back control. All the Tory "parliament is supreme" PBers here completely shtum. Strange. Normally you can't stop them.
    Actually I see no powers for ministers there after we've exited. Clause 4 puts paid to that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Possibly as this is likely to be *really* complicated, and the arguments about it have only just begun.

If Brexit is to happen, then something along these lines (though I hope severely constrained by amendments) is almost inevitable.
  • Options
    Predictions that the Brexit vote in June 2016 would lead foreign investors to shun Britain are proving wrong—so far. Statistics on foreign acquisitions of British firms in the second quarter of this year, out today, are likely to reveal plenty of action, building on overseas purchases of more than 250 British firms in 2016, the highest total since 2007. Foreign buyers see bargains, thanks to the pound’s 15% fall against other currencies since the vote. Defying gloomy forecasts, economic growth in Britain is holding up. The possibility that Britain will also quit the single market, making it no longer the gateway to Europe it once was, does not seem to bother foreign investors much. And Britain still has an attractively low rate of corporation tax (plus generous exemptions on top). Few foreign investors actively welcome Brexit, yet for now it is not doing too much harm.

https://espresso.economist.com/840c3eda3ea42ecd90aeb3434f3510b7?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/brexitschmexitinvestinginbritain20170906espresso
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Predictions that the Brexit vote in June 2016 would lead foreign investors to shun Britain are proving wrong—so far. Statistics on foreign acquisitions of British firms in the second quarter of this year, out today, are likely to reveal plenty of action, building on overseas purchases of more than 250 British firms in 2016, the highest total since 2007. Foreign buyers see bargains, thanks to the pound’s 15% fall against other currencies since the vote. Defying gloomy forecasts, economic growth in Britain is holding up. The possibility that Britain will also quit the single market, making it no longer the gateway to Europe it once was, does not seem to bother foreign investors much. And Britain still has an attractively low rate of corporation tax (plus generous exemptions on top). Few foreign investors actively welcome Brexit, yet for now it is not doing too much harm.

https://espresso.economist.com/840c3eda3ea42ecd90aeb3434f3510b7?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/brexitschmexitinvestinginbritain20170906espresso

It is amazing how running a huge trade deficit results in so much investment in the UK. Its almost as if one was the counterpart of the other.

But what do we do when we run out of things to sell?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is amazing how running a huge trade deficit results in so much investment in the UK. Its almost as if one was the counterpart of the other.

Many of the firms sold are relatively new startups - what prevents new start ups from being created?

The ex-owners of the firms that were sold, what do you think they're going to do with all the money they were paid for the sales?
  • Options

Possibly a confusion between capital investment and ownership of companies. Purchase of British companies doesn't necessarily mean more investment in Britain in terms of plant, equipment and jobs. In fact if it's a merger and British companies are looking to sell, the operations may go abroad.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Many of the firms sold are relatively new startups - what prevents new start ups from being created?

The ex-owners of the firms that were sold, what do you think they're going to do with all the money they were paid for the sales?
    Move to tax havens ?
    :smile:
  • Options
    Another cost of Brexit (given our governments' parsimony when it comes to research investment)...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41160914
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Nigelb said:

Another cost of Brexit (given our governments' parsimony when it comes to research investment)...

You think they would be higher than 1 and 2 in the rankings, but for Brexit?
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Point of order: Clegg abandoned his plans to bugger up the Lords because the Commons wanted to actually scrutinise them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

surbiton said:

Possibly as this is likely to be *really* complicated, and the arguments about it have only just begun.

If Brexit is to happen, then something along these lines (though I hope severely constrained by amendments) is almost inevitable.
    As drafted the powers are too broad, but like you say, something of this nature has to be concluded.
  • Options
    I wonder whether we'll see the same people who didn't realise that the coalition agreement wasn't legally binding make the same mistake with the Salisbury Convention as well.
  • Options
    I expect this clause will go through a few redrafts before it clears both Houses (see the thread header). Indeed, Mike's thread header could have been written with this clause in mind.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Why would Mrs May want to appoint you?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited September 2017
    Apparently that well known washing machine salesman is totally wrong about the scale of FGM...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41150621

For once, I actually believe Jim...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cambridge soaring in the rankings, Oxford stagnating.
  • Options

FPT:

What the posters lauding the McDonald's strikers are failing to realise when they talk about unionisation and ending ZHC's is that only two branches were affected, and that one apparently remained open for business.

Now, it might be the start of something bigger. Or it might be a handful of people making a lot of noise about something their fellow workers care little about. Or even a few people acting for political rather than socio-economic ends.

I was and still am a supporter of the anti-union legislation of the 1980s. The unions should not run the country nor be able to bring down governments simply because they don't like their politics. Nor should they be able to behave in ways which destroy companies and livelihoods.

But I do feel that some of the reaction to unions these days shows that the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Unions still have an important purpose to serve in protecting their members rights and working conditions and the fact that people go out on strike should not automatically be taken to mean there is far left militancy nor a political aim to the action.

• Options
    Charles said:

Why would Mrs May want to appoint you?
    Because my political genius is unrivalled, if she had listened to me, she'd have won a majority, a substantial one in fact. Ahem.

Plus it would show she isn't surrounded by sycophants.
  • Options

They're really paying the price for being infiltrated by people like IDS, Hannan, Carswell and assorted extremists. They should never have been allowed near a candidate selection committee.

The extremists are people like Soubry and Clarke. They have never represented mainstream Tory thinking. Of course you wouldn't recognise that because you are on the ISIS wing of extremism.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Those extra 50 Lib Dem peers were because the Lib Dems were underrepresented in the Upper House compared to their representation in the Commons and their share of the popular vote, yes? So about 60 of the Lib Dem peers presumably don't vote now on the same basis? Or are the Lib Dems as hypocritical as the rest of the parties after all? Would they really have the balls to use this over representation to defeat the referendum result?

Interesting that Nick Clegg hasn't taken up residence. I wonder if he thinks there is still a way back to the Commons. Not if they behave like that there isn't.

The Lib Dems have not nominated any peers since the post-2015GE intake, with the exception of Viscount Thurso entering via an hereditary peers' by-election (though obviously, that was to replace a LD peer).

Presumably Clegg could take a peerage if he wanted but either is thinking of a Commons return or (more likely IMO) wants some time away from Westminster. I doubt there'll be many other LD peerages during the rest of the decade though.
  • Options

Raises hand too.
  • Options
    Interesting HoC Library briefing paper on the 'Great Repeal Bill':

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8079
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not in Prime Minister count........
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/05/diane-abbott-more-abused-than-any-other-mps-during-election Does not surprise me but the level of animosity especially to female politicians is concerning .
  • Options

Raises hand too.
    You two are easily bought.

Hold out for a hereditary dukedom.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    So the powers are too wide ranging for an elected UK government, but OK for the non elected EU Commission to have?
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, I'd hold out to be named Harbinger of the Doomed Rat.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, I'd hold out to be named Harbinger of the Doomed Rat.

They could give you a little part to play in the State Opening Of Parliament. Maybe you could hide in the Woolsack and squeak.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

You think they would be higher than 1 and 2 in the rankings, but for Brexit?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t_KDGqOmE
  • Options

Raises hand too.

Well I would like to be The Duke of Sheffield or The Duke of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, don't be ridiculous. I'd wear the silver ratstar badge and have the Sceptre of the Doomed Rat.
  • Options
    PAW said:

So the powers are too wide ranging for an elected UK government, but OK for the non elected EU Commission to have?

Parliament has these powers, what Mrs May is proposing is to take those powers ultra vires.

When I said I wanted to the country's first directly elected Dictator, this is how I would take absolute power.
  • Options

Raises hand too.

Mr Herdson might have something to say about the latter.

Perhaps you could go as a job lot and be the Dukes of Hazzard.
  • Options

PAW said:

Parliament has these powers, what Mrs May is proposing is to take those powers ultra vires.

When I said I wanted to the country's first directly elected Dictator, this is how I would take absolute power.
    Except they are only taken until we actually exit. Then they revert to parliament rather than to the EU.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

A minor functionary, now Nobel Laureates, that's the real benchmark for a top university, 90 odd v 50 odd, another good benchmark is how many Cambridge graduates were recruited to work for MI5 and SIS.

We don't win the WWII without the Alan Turing.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Is Mike off on holiday?

Oh, God, I don't think I can face another General Election campaign this autumn.
  • Options

Raises hand too.

Mr Herdson might have something to say about the latter.

Perhaps you could go as a job lot and be the Dukes of Hazzard.
    God no, I think we want to avoid all discussions of General Lee.
  • Options

Is Mike off on holiday?

Oh, God, I don't think I can face another General Election campaign this autumn.
    Brenda from Bristol will have a few choice words if that is true...
  • Options

Is Mike off on holiday?

Yup, you're lumped with me for nearly three weeks.
  • Options

FPT:

I was and still am a supporter of the anti-union legislation of the 1980s. The unions should not run the country nor be able to bring down governments simply because they don't like their politics. Nor should they be able to behave in ways which destroy companies and livelihoods.

But I do feel that some of the reaction to unions these days shows that the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Unions still have an important purpose to serve in protecting their members rights and working conditions and the fact that people go out on strike should not automatically be taken to mean there is far left militancy nor a political aim to the action.
    I agree about the usefulness of unions, and have said so in the past.

I am not automatically making that sort of assumption. However so far the scale of the disruption is ridiculously low, and the amount of media airtime and political comment from Labour high. It'll be interesting to see if this action spreads through more McDonalds branches or stagnates.

My post was mainly about the reaction to the strike from a couple of posters on here.
  • Options

PAW said:

Except they are only taken until we actually exit. Then they revert to parliament rather than to the EU.
    I had a very simple test when The 'Great' Repeal Bill was announced, would I be happy with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell having these powers, if I didn't, then it wasn't good enough for any Tory PM/Government.

They are far too vague and broad.
  • Options

PAW said:

I had a very simple test when The 'Great' Repeal Bill was announced, would I be happy with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell having these powers, if I didn't, then it wasn't good enough for any Tory PM/Government.

They are far too vague and broad.
    Corbyn and McDonnell having any powers at all, ever, is enough to give me nightmares.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

A minor functionary, now Nobel Laureates, that's the real benchmark for a top university, 90 odd v 50 odd, another good benchmark is how many Cambridge graduates were recruited to work for MI5 and SIS.

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

Question is, what happened to the Oxford spy ring? Were they all caught, or were none caught?
  • Options

Raises hand too.
    Me too.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

Question is, what happened to the Oxford spy ring? Were they all caught, or were none caught?
    The rumour is that that the Cambridge spy ring was a cover to infiltrate the KGB, whereas the Oxford spy ring were a bunch of traitors that betrayed The United Kingdom, so it was covered up.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

Yeah, Oxford just had 275 traitors. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_and_Country_debate
  • Options
    So the Scots would hate me then?

The battle to become Labour’s next leader in Scotland has been marred by claims of dirty tricks after opponents of one of the frontrunners claimed it could be disastrous to pick a privately educated Englishman.

MSP Richard Leonard, an organiser for the GMB union for 20 years, is believed to be preparing to confirm his candidacy as the choice of the left after Kezia Dugdale unexpectedly quit last week.

He would be the first Englishman to lead the Scottish party but some Labour opponents say his broad Yorkshire accent and private schooling would play badly among Scottish voters as the party tries to regain ground lost to the SNP after a spate of poor elections.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/english-row-in-scots-labour-race-tc8n9vxjs
  • Options

I had a very simple test when The 'Great' Repeal Bill was announced, would I be happy with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell having these powers...

And that is far more than just a hypothetical test. There's a real chance they will get chance to exercise such powers if enacted. Imagine what Corbyn and McDonnell would do to get Britain 'match fit' for Brexit before exit day?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GlennThrush: DACA is being "rescinded" says Sessions, setting off a political conflagration that will soon consume his administration.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

The rumour is that that the Cambridge spy ring was a cover to infiltrate the KGB, whereas the Oxford spy ring were a bunch of traitors that betrayed The United Kingdom, so it was covered up.
    That was the irony -- the Cambridge spies were so good that the Russians were never really sure they were not double-agents.

But the staggering ineptitude of MI6 in housing these traitors -- two of whom were more-or-less permanently drunk -- is, well, not entirely unprecedented: didn't MI5 employ a relative of an IRA commander?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

That was the irony -- the Cambridge spies were so good that the Russians were never really sure they were not double-agents.

But the staggering ineptitude of MI6 in housing these traitors -- two of whom were more-or-less permanently drunk -- is, well, not entirely unprecedented: didn't MI5 employ a relative of an IRA commander?
    MI5 has had the holy grail of defectors, their coups de main, the head of the IRA's Nutting Squad and Oleg Gordievsky.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Raises hand too.
    Me too.
    Would they have to be Conservative working peers, as long as they are in favour of Brexit?

But it probably means one has to go to London, so no point my volunteering.

Good afternoon, everyone. Thanks for some interesting discussions to read.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

A bit harsh that the reward for successful infiltration by the Cambridge ring was being forced to retire in Russia ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

A bit harsh that the reward for successful infiltration by the Cambridge ring was being forced to retire in Russia ?
    True patriots. They took one for the team/UK.
  • Options
    And I thought I had been on a few bad dates.

I recently took a girl I met on tinder to Nandos. We had a lovely evening, and enjoyed each others company very much. After our meal, we repaired back to my house for a bottle of wine and a scientology doccumentary.

About an hour in to Louis Theroux and chill, my date got up to use the toilet. She returned with a panicked look in her eye, and told me she had something to tell me.

"I went for a poo in your toilet", she told me "and it would not flush. I don't know why I did this, but I panicked", she continued "I reached into the toilet bowl, wrapped it in tissue paper, and threw it out of the window".

I was understandably concerned, and told her we would go outside, bag up the offending poo in the garden, bin it, and pretend the whole sorry affair had never happened. Unfortunately, owing to a design quirk of my house, the toilet window does not in fact open to the garden, but instead into a narrow gap of about a foot and a half, seperated from the outside world by another (non-opening) double glazed window. It was into this twilight zone that my date had thrown her poo. Here are two photos to illustrate:

As can be seen in the picture, the inside window opens at the top, into the gap that is seperated from the garden by a non-opening double-glazed window pane. Seeing only one solution, I messaged our house group-chat, and went upstairs to find a hammer and chisel to smash open the window.

My date had other ideas.

Being an amateur gymnast, she was convinced that she could reach into the window and pull the poo out, using the tried and tested "inside out blag as glove" technique. Unfortunately she couldn't reach. She climbed further in and had the same problem. Eventually I agreed to give her a boost up and into the window. She climbed in head first after her own turd, reached deeper into the window, bagged it up, and passed it out, over the top and back into the toilet from whence it came. She called out to me to help her climb out from the window, I grabbed her waist and I pulled. But she was stuck. Stuck fast. Try as we might, we could not remove her from the window. She was stuck fast, upside down in the gap....

https://www.gofundme.com/9wvxt9-replacement-window
  • Options

The battle to become Labour’s next leader in Scotland has been marred by claims of dirty tricks after opponents of one of the frontrunners claimed it could be disastrous to pick a privately educated Englishman.

MSP Richard Leonard, an organiser for the GMB union for 20 years, is believed to be preparing to confirm his candidacy as the choice of the left after Kezia Dugdale unexpectedly quit last week.

He would be the first Englishman to lead the Scottish party but some Labour opponents say his broad Yorkshire accent and private schooling would play badly among Scottish voters as the party tries to regain ground lost to the SNP after a spate of poor elections.

Surely the bigger problem is that no one has any idea who he is. I had honestly never heard of him until last week and I take a fair interest in these things. I googled him and have no recollection of seeing his face before.

Anas Sarwar is sufficiently worried that he is claiming to be a born again Corbynite. The idea that Mr Sarwar believes in anything other than Mr Sarwar is a bit of a stretch but he once seemed to quite like a certain Mr Blair.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

There might be the small matter of not being Labour.
  • Options

I recently took a girl I met on tinder to Nandos. We had a lovely evening, and enjoyed each others company very much. After our meal, we repaired back to my house for a bottle of wine and a scientology doccumentary.

About an hour in to Louis Theroux and chill, my date got up to use the toilet. She returned with a panicked look in her eye, and told me she had something to tell me.

"I went for a poo in your toilet", she told me "and it would not flush. I don't know why I did this, but I panicked", she continued "I reached into the toilet bowl, wrapped it in tissue paper, and threw it out of the window".

I was understandably concerned, and told her we would go outside, bag up the offending poo in the garden, bin it, and pretend the whole sorry affair had never happened. Unfortunately, owing to a design quirk of my house, the toilet window does not in fact open to the garden, but instead into a narrow gap of about a foot and a half, seperated from the outside world by another (non-opening) double glazed window. It was into this twilight zone that my date had thrown her poo. Here are two photos to illustrate:

As can be seen in the picture, the inside window opens at the top, into the gap that is seperated from the garden by a non-opening double-glazed window pane. Seeing only one solution, I messaged our house group-chat, and went upstairs to find a hammer and chisel to smash open the window.

My date had other ideas.

Being an amateur gymnast, she was convinced that she could reach into the window and pull the poo out, using the tried and tested "inside out blag as glove" technique. Unfortunately she couldn't reach. She climbed further in and had the same problem. Eventually I agreed to give her a boost up and into the window. She climbed in head first after her own turd, reached deeper into the window, bagged it up, and passed it out, over the top and back into the toilet from whence it came. She called out to me to help her climb out from the window, I grabbed her waist and I pulled. But she was stuck. Stuck fast. Try as we might, we could not remove her from the window. She was stuck fast, upside down in the gap....

How on earth were they ever going to top that on a second date? Maybe not a problem they had to worry about too much.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,521
    DavidL said:

My date had other ideas.

How on earth were they ever going to top that on a second date? Maybe not a problem they had to worry about too much.
    Perhaps she's now Mrs Smyth and the photo album will be one to show the grandchildren.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Scott_P said:
    Sounds as though Labour are falling in behind the Lib Dems. Not before time, either.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,122
    Totally O/t but we do have cricket fans on here. Any comments on this story from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/05/the-spin-carew-vilage-spirit-cricket about a team which, due to the vagaries of their leagues points system decalred at 18-1 to prevent their opponents getting enough bonus points to win the league.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

My date had other ideas.

Perhaps she's now Mrs Smyth and the photo album will be one to show the grandchildren.
    There are times that I feel I haven't really lived....
  • Options

Totally O/t but we do have cricket fans on here. Any comments on this story from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/05/the-spin-carew-vilage-spirit-cricket about a team which, due to the vagaries of their leagues points system decalred at 18-1 to prevent their opponents getting enough bonus points to win the league.

Read about this the other day.

It goes against the spirit of cricket, take the title away from them.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

It's not cricket ?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

The amusing part is that Guy Burgess got his friends and mother to send him clothes (including pyjamas and Old Etonian ties) from Savile Row and hampers from Fortnum & Mason.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, I'm sure tourist spots in the Algarve will be just delighted with that news.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited September 2017

Read about this the other day.

It goes against the spirit of cricket, take the title away from them.
    I remember as a junior been instructed to do something similar. I opened with another kid and we were told to basically a) not get out and b) not score any runs. It was a timed game and we were just trying to run the clock down, and to keep complaining about the light.

I think we were 20-0 off 30 overs when we were offered and accepted bad light.

Unsurprisingly, we got massive abuse from the spectators.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Nigelb said:

MI5, MI6 and the KGB.

The amusing part is that Guy Burgess got his friends and mother to send him clothes (including pyjamas and Old Etonian ties) from Savile Row and hampers from Fortnum & Mason.
    There are interviews with Philby and Burgess on Youtube and they both have the most extraordinary upper class accents, especially Burgess whose strangulated vowels make the Queen sound common.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

My date had other ideas.

On the subject of tinder dating, I ran across this the other day. Most of us blokes are not good enough it seems...

https://twitter.com/SteveStuWill/status/903902395352080385
  • Options
    Mike Smithson says

"The Salisbury Convention that the Lords should not stand in the way of a government implementing its manifesto commitments doesn’t apply ..........."

But surely the Government IS implementing its manifesto commitments so the convention ought to still stand..
  • Options

My date had other ideas.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. Watching a scientology documentary. :o
  • Options
    David Davis is obviously not a reader of PB lead articles.
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/905103541987139586
This discussion has been closed.