Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s next over Brexit? The question that no one is asking

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Mayweather is not giving up his perfect record for any size of payday.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and as regards the /O'Connor thinrevents, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

I'd take the same view of this one. It whiffs.

At the end of the day they are both climbing through the ropes to hit each other and it will be the person who is better at it than the other that wins. That's the beauty of the fight. It is actually happening - the bear vs crocodile is happening and there will be a winner!

Edit: that's Mayweather McGregor I'm talking about, not May vs BoJo!!
    Betfair now have a whole pile of markets up for the fight, including round of victory, minute of victory, exact method of victory, under/over number of knockdowns, counts and many more.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/boxing/event/28050875/market?marketId=1.132180828
    1.33 on the fight not going 12 rounds looks like free money.
    Wait for the weigh in before piling on that I'd say. If Conor comes in at say 163, there is a fair chance he could last 12 rounds..
    I think MacGregor coming in overweight will be the next drama in this (profitable) farce :p
    Yes, and it’s not something that ever usually happens in a title fight - if one fighter can’t make weight then the fight’s off. In this case there’s a financial penalty ($1m a lb?) attached to the weigh-in.

If McGregor comes in a stone overweight that does change the complexion of the fight somewhat, maybe Mayweather will start sledging him as the fat f*** before they even start!
    It's interesting - I think his pride will want to make the 154; he will in any case rehydrate to 165-170 so he climbs through the ropes a stone heavier than Mayweather regardless. I just don't think in his mind he wants to be seen as a guy who comes in overweight to an agreed fight.

But of course I know nothing of his mind!
    I guess we’ll soon find out. Apparently they step on the scales at around 11pm tonight UK time.

Have you decided how you’re going to watch yet?
    Live! I thought of waiting until the morning but I will watch the (very good) undercard and then the thing itself. It's a long weekend so to hell with it!
    :D
    I’m 3 hours ahead of UK so have alarm on for 5:30am. I’ll be watching with coffee rather than whisky!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    edited August 2017
    duplicate
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I 'd have thought McGregor's best hope is that Mayweather dies of old age before the bout.

I remember the cross-code rugby matches and some of the RL fans around here claiming they'd win both matches easily. You'll win the League match easily, I agreed, but you've no chance in the Union game.

I'm no Nostradamus but that was bleedin' obvious. Assuming Mayweather is taking it seriously, there's only one winner unless he trips on his shoelace and lands on McGregor's glove.

If it lasts more than a round, Mayweather is showboating.

Greetings to all Brexiteers. The sun is shining, the EU is whining, and all's well with the world.

Maywaether is never going to finish him of in a single round - that's not his style. He will do what he's always done and Connor will knacker himself chasing Mayweather around the ring. And then Mayweather will pick him apart.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and as regards the /O'Connor thinrevents, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

I'd take the same view of this one. It whiffs.

At the end of the day they are both climbing through the ropes to hit each other and it will be the person who is better at it than the other that wins. That's the beauty of the fight. It is actually happening - the bear vs crocodile is happening and there will be a winner!

Edit: that's Mayweather McGregor I'm talking about, not May vs BoJo!!
    Betfair now have a whole pile of markets up for the fight, including round of victory, minute of victory, exact method of victory, under/over number of knockdowns, counts and many more.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/boxing/event/28050875/market?marketId=1.132180828
    1.33 on the fight not going 12 rounds looks like free money.
    Wait for the weigh in before piling on that I'd say. If Conor comes in at say 163, there is a fair chance he could last 12 rounds..
    I think MacGregor coming in overweight will be the next drama in this (profitable) farce :p
    Yes, and it’s not something that ever usually happens in a title fight - if one fighter can’t make weight then the fight’s off. In this case there’s a financial penalty ($1m a lb?) attached to the weigh-in.

If McGregor comes in a stone overweight that does change the complexion of the fight somewhat, maybe Mayweather will start sledging him as the fat f*** before they even start!
    It's interesting - I think his pride will want to make the 154; he will in any case rehydrate to 165-170 so he climbs through the ropes a stone heavier than Mayweather regardless. I just don't think in his mind he wants to be seen as a guy who comes in overweight to an agreed fight.

But of course I know nothing of his mind!
    I guess we’ll soon find out. Apparently they step on the scales at around 11pm tonight UK time.

Have you decided how you’re going to watch yet?
    Live! I thought of waiting until the morning but I will watch the (very good) undercard and then the thing itself. It's a long weekend so to hell with it!
    :D
    I’m 3 hours ahead of UK so have alarm on for 5:30am. I’ll be watching with coffee rather than whisky!
    booring
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    Last chance to grab the 1-4 with Paddyfair & SkyBet
  • Options

Malcolm Gladwell is surely hoping that Floyd Mayweather wins. If he doesn't, his 10,000 hours theory will never be taken seriously again.

I hadn't considered this angle before. It may well be worth losing my stake to stick one to Matthew Syed/Gladwell types.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Meeks/Mr. Alistair, what is the 10,000 hours theory?
  • Options
    As I have commented before the EU debate is polarised.

However, over the coming months public opinion will be vital and I would suggest the EU will lose the backing of the UK voter if either or both of the following are not agreed by the EU

No large Brexit fee

No ruling by the ECJ on anyone living in the UK - this is a matter for the UK supreme court.

At this stage those are the two game changers
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)#Synopsis
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,083

However, over the coming months public opinion will be vital and I would suggest the EU will lose the backing of the UK voter if either or both of the following are not agreed by the EU

No large Brexit fee

No ruling by the ECJ on anyone living in the UK - this is a matter for the UK supreme court.

And the solution for the Irish border will be?

Public opinion can't change any of the hard facts or avoid any of the hard choices.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748

Dr. Foxinsox, the EU is not solid or reliable. It's driven by political ideology that's not only divorced from democratic legitimacy but unable to ever acquire it because there is no single European identity and the cultural, economic, social and demographic differences between nations are too large to bridge.

Furthermore, QMV means it'll turn ever more into a eurozone club.

If genuine reform had been possible, that would've been great. But the EU only reforms in one direction. It's all about integration, and that's the ultimate choice we face. Separate, or integrate.

Actually I don't think that is the choice, which makes Brexit interesting. The EU is a system. By voting Leave, we vote to leave that system. However the system remains. Almost all the important countries in Europe are part of that system and even countries that are not members, but which we want relations with, operate to a significant degree to that system. Additionally we are plugged into that system in ways that we don't want to disrupt. The questions are: do we reject the system entirely, do we ignore it or do we try to work with it? If it's the latter, and eventually that's what I expect it will mainly be, we will be doing so on the EU's terms and at the EU's whim.

It's not Leave in Name Only; it's Sovereignty in Name Only, (SINO), where we have minimal control, little influence and a worse arrangement overall than we had before.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

If you spend a lot of time practicing something in an effective manner you get good at it.

This apparently requires books to be written on the subject and huge amount of hullabaloo because the general public are too stupid to understand the concept.

Syed takes it further with his "Myth of Talent" concepts and basically claims that he would back the one legged man in an arse kicking contest if the one legged man had done more training than his opponent. He denies that Usain Bolt has any physiological advantages that give him a leg up over other sprinters. He just trained better than everyone else.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

CD13 said:

I 'd have thought McGregor's best hope is that Mayweather dies of old age before the bout.

I remember the cross-code rugby matches and some of the RL fans around here claiming they'd win both matches easily. You'll win the League match easily, I agreed, but you've no chance in the Union game.

I'm no Nostradamus but that was bleedin' obvious. Assuming Mayweather is taking it seriously, there's only one winner unless he trips on his shoelace and lands on McGregor's glove.

Greetings to all Brexiteers. The sun is shining, the EU is whining, and all's well with the world.

Maywaether is never going to finish him of in a single round - that's not his style. He will do what he's always done and Connor will knacker himself chasing Mayweather around the ring. And then Mayweather will pick him apart.
    He's not fighting Triple G! He's fighting a guy who will never have been hit as hard as he is about to be hit. And a guy who is a stone heavier than him with unknown stamina.

The world (including me) thinks Conor will gas after half a dozen rounds, but what if he doesn't? Mayweather can and will end it as soon as possible and has the tools to do that at their first encounter.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, cheers.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It's not Leave in Name Only; it's Sovereignty in Name Only, (SINO), where we have minimal control, little influence and a worse arrangement overall than we had before.

I agree and this is why it must not be allowed to happen. Brexitism needs to face up to its contradictions otherwise we will end up as an international joke. A soft Brexit would be the worst possible outcome in the long term.
  • Options

No large Brexit fee

And the solution for the Irish border will be?

Public opinion can't change any of the hard facts or avoid any of the hard choices.
    The Irish border does not concern me - there is too much at stake for Ireland for this not to be resolved through negotiation.

Of course public opinion matters and whoever gets the backing of the public will win the day
  • Options
    edited August 2017

The Irish border does not concern me - there is too much at stake for Ireland for this not to be resolved through negotiation.

Is there enough at stake for the UK to ask for special status for Northern Ireland within the EU?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The Irish border does not concern me

A Brexiteer response to every difficult question posed thus far...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If you spend a lot of time practicing something in an effective manner you get good at it.

This apparently requires books to be written on the subject and huge amount of hullabaloo because the general public are too stupid to understand the concept.

Syed takes it further with his "Myth of Talent" concepts and basically claims that he would back the one legged man in an arse kicking contest if the one legged man had done more training than his opponent. He denies that Usain Bolt has any physiological advantages that give him a leg up over other sprinters. He just trained better than everyone else.
    So the same reason that airlines require someone to have 5,000 hrs of flying planes before they can be a captain, or a hospital requiring that a doctor has a few years’ experience before they can lead a neurosurgery?

“Myth of Talent” is bollocks though, just look at those who line up in certain events. Does he think that if the Jamaicans started training to run marathons then they’d eventually be able to beat the Kenyans?
  • Options

FF43 said:

I agree and this is why it must not be allowed to happen. Brexitism needs to face up to its contradictions otherwise we will end up as an international joke. A soft Brexit would be the worst possible outcome in the long term.
    Well, lets just stay in then, disregard a democratic vote and accept the serious implications, as those who voted leave feel betrayed. Furthermore, can you see UK MEP's being elected again and everything goes back to pre referendum days.

It is not going to happen and may I remind you I voted remain
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. City, but what odds?

50 to 1
  • Options
    Mr. City, cheers. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I reject you labelling me a Brexiteer - As I have already stated I voted remain but accept we now must leave - end of story
  • Options

Well, lets just stay in then, disregard a democratic vote and accept the serious implications, as those who voted leave feel betrayed.

Presenting people with the true consequences of their choice is respecting them, not betraying them.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:

Actually it's one of the Brexit questions closest to my heart as I live in sight of the other, forgotten, land border between GB and an EU state. The current and future border solution here affects every day of my life both on a personal and business level.

But it doesn't concern me. Whatever happens, happens. We will adopt, adapt and improve.
  • Options

Well, lets just stay in then, disregard a democratic vote and accept the serious implications, as those who voted leave feel betrayed.

Presenting people with the true consequences of their choice is respecting them, not betraying them.
    The problem with your viewpoint is the arrogance that only you are right. You can have no idea of the eventual consequence of us leaving the EU as can anyone. It could just be a very big success story but that would not fit your narrative
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

CD13 said:

He's not fighting Triple G! He's fighting a guy who will never have been hit as hard as he is about to be hit. And a guy who is a stone heavier than him with unknown stamina.

The world (including me) thinks Conor will gas after half a dozen rounds, but what if he doesn't? Mayweather can and will end it as soon as possible and has the tools to do that at their first encounter.
    No-one seems to be offering odds that the whole thing defends into such a farce that 4m Americans start asking for their $99 back. I’d price that eventuality at no higher than 10/1.
  • Options
    Got to be off. Second practice commences in just over 20 minutes.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Actually it's one of the Brexit questions closest to my heart as I live in sight of the other, forgotten, land border between GB and an EU state. The current and future border solution here affects every day of my life both on a personal and business level.

But it doesn't concern me. Whatever happens, happens. We will adopt, adapt and improve.
    Absolutely the best thing about the Round Table motto - adopt, adapt and improve.

There are many on here who would do well to take that motto on board
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Mr. City, cheers. Best of luck.

Cheers Morris not had a good Ebor Festival at York racecourse so far.Could not make my mind up between Ulysses and Churchill in the Juddmonte International ,went for Churchill must have been influenced by watching Dunkirk at the cinema.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,037

FF43 said:

Soft Brexit is the most likely outcome in the long run as we rejoin EFTA and probably even the EEA under a future centrist Labour PM. In the short term though I agree it will be closer to hard Brexit for the next 5 to 10 years with immigration control paramount
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Absolutely the best thing about the Round Table motto - adopt, adapt and improve.

Alas my Tabling days are over.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

CD13 said:

No-one seems to be offering odds that the whole thing defends into such a farce that 4m Americans start asking for their $99 back. I’d price that eventuality at no higher than 10/1.
    haha yes exactly and if that was included in the "draw" category I'd back the bollocks off it at 90s!!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

Alas my Tabling days are over.
    So are mine - over 30 years ago
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    James Chapman has gone without twitter for over a week now.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Gibraltar-Spain :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    We can resolve that quite easily by using Gibraltar as payment in kind for the EU bill.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    We can resolve that quite easily by using Gibraltar as payment in kind for the EU bill.
    No we won't, there is no way any Tory PM would last 5 seconds longer if they contemplated giving up Gibraltar not to mention the Gibraltarians would be furious
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Selling 30,000 people?

I obviously already had you down as a traitor ... but not as a slave-trader too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    No we won't, there is no way any Tory PM would last 5 seconds longer if they contemplated giving up Gibraltar not to mention the Gibraltarians would be furious
    That is how this government collapses, when either a faction of the Tories or the DUP realise that they are being sold down the river.

• Options

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    That is how this government collapses, when either a faction of the Tories or the DUP realise that they are being sold down the river.

So don't sell them down the river.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Selling 30,000 people?

I obviously already had you down as a traitor ... but not as a slave-trader too.
    We could build a monument to celebrate whoever signed the papers.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????

Are they? Tory backbenchers and the DUP control what the government can actually do in reality given the hung parliament
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Selling 30,000 people?

You'd have to find someone who could ride a horse first.

It's not a proper statue unless its a bloke on a horse.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Selling 30,000 people?

Tad of an exaggeration.

When I think of America and the slave trade I think of the transatlantic slaves. I don't think anyone ever refers to the Louisiana Purchase from the French or the purchase of Alaska from the Russians as "slavery".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????

Are they? Tory backbenchers and the DUP control what the government can actually do in reality given the hung parliament
    So it will reach a point where one of Pragmatists, Hardliners, DUP or Government folds as a result of irreconcilable differences.

What a shame.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????

So it will reach a point where one of Pragmatists, Hardliners, DUP or Government folds as a result of irreconcilable differences.

What a shame.
    No as the government can only do anything with all the above on board. In any case once Brexit is done by mid 2019 Davis or Boris will take over from May and there will be a general election within a year
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,179
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????
    Selling 30,000 people?

You'd have to find someone who could ride a horse first.

It's not a proper statue unless its a bloke on a horse.
    I don't think 'Baron' Duncan is of a pay grade to be signing anything very much, but he could play the part of the horse quite convincingly.

https://twitter.com/IanDuncanHMG/status/900807911798165505
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????

What a shame.
    No as the government can only do anything with all the above on board. In any case once Brexit is done by mid 2019 Davis or Boris will take over from May and there will be a general election within a year
    When the government gets so gridlocked we get the default car crash WTO Brexit, with consequences for the survival of the Tory coalition.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

GeoffM said:

Scott_P said:

???????

What a shame.
    When the government gets so gridlocked we get the default car crash WTO Brexit, with consequences for the survival of the Tory coalition.
    Even if that did occur the consequences would not be fully felt until well into 2020 by which time the new Tory leader will have called and held a general election anyway
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe? A confused cartoon.
    Little noticed fact that there are White cliffs on the other side of the Channel too. Geology is another Part of our shared European Heritage.
  • Options
    Amina Lone, Muslim Labour councillor and MP candidate who stood up for Sarah Champion, deselected by the party.

Do Labour really see cultural sensitivity as more important than child abuse?

https://order-order.com/2017/08/25/labour-candidate-who-spoke-out-about-abuse-deselected/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,763
    New Thread

Don't worry.....it involves immigration.....
  • Options

philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe? A confused cartoon.
    Little noticed fact that there are White cliffs on the other side of the Channel too. Geology is another Part of our shared European Heritage.
    The ones on the French side are dotted with German bunkers from Operation Todt. We had to fight our way through them to liberate France from the Germans.

That's another part of our shared European heritage.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,899
    "What should Remainers therefore be doing?"

Emigrating and taking up citizenship of an EU country at the earliest possible opportunity, which for me should be in 2020.
This discussion has been closed.