Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What’s next over Brexit? The question that no one is asking

Comments

• Options

DavidL said:

The idea that the CJE will determine the rights of EU citizens in the UK is of course nuts.

We saw in the case of the Finnish academic this week (and there have been numbers of similar perverse and unreasonable decisions) exactly why it is needed. EU citizens resident here need protection from our incompetent and arbitrary immigration decisions.
    No they do not, In case you missed it (and of course you didn't, you are just being disingenuous) the error was found and corrected.
    The error was that as an EU citizen she could not be deported yet. Post Brexit she could be. That is why EU wide courts are needed to protect her and millions of others.
    Bollocks. You have no idea what the arrangement is going to be for EU citizens after Brexit and all the indications are that effectively nothing will change for them if they are already resident. You are just making stuff up because it suits your narrative. Typical utterly dishonest Remoaner.

Currently, they have the right to leave the UK for whatever amount of time - to care for an elderly relative, to take up a new job - and to return to resume their lives here. Under the UK government's proposals they would lose this right. That seems quite a biggie to me. If they get the same rights as UK citizens, that would not be an issue.
    If they want identical rights to UK Citizens they should become UK Citizens - and if that means giving up their home country citizenship because THEY won't allow dual citizenship, then life is about choices.

If they want identical rights to UK Permanent Residents - which is what the UK government is offering - then they should stay here permanently.

Why should 'Permanent Residents' from the EU have superior rights to 'Permanent Residents' from the US, Canada or South Africa?

Because that is the basis on which they have built their lives in the UK.

Circumstances change. Something we all have to face at various times in our lives.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

How many of PB readers, like me, had to look up the meaning of satrapy?

Can I count reading PB as Continuing Professional Education?

As I explained the other day, I try to include one unusual word or phrase in posts that in future I want to be able to find quickly through google. "Zeugma" was the word the other day, "satrapy" is today's word.

It's for my convenience really - apologies.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

Despite all the hype and hoopla there is no reason why Floyd couldn't or wouldn't knock out Conor at a time of his choosing. Barring a black swan (plenty of those tbf of late) such as a takedown and rear naked choke, there's no way McGregor wins a boxing match. Nor has he been hit as hard as he is about to be hit, nor so often, nor in so many places.

So Mayweather winning in any (ie each) of rds 1-5 seems to me the standout bet at odds of between 16s and 24s.

I don't buy the "they'll keep it going" line - FMJ wants to win and in as short a time as possible. Once in the ring, it's about the boxing.

Speed and accuracy of punch, combined with no serious experience of how to avoid such an assault, should settle it relatively quickly I'd have thought.

Is this a Billie. Jean King v Bobby Riggs type event? What is for , obviously just money.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    F1: lot of work being done on Raikkonen's car, so his pace may not be up to snuff simply due to lack of running.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,774

DavidL said:

The idea that the CJE will determine the rights of EU citizens in the UK is of course nuts.

We saw in the case of the Finnish academic this week (and there have been numbers of similar perverse and unreasonable decisions) exactly why it is needed. EU citizens resident here need protection from our incompetent and arbitrary immigration decisions.
    No they do not, In case you missed it (and of course you didn't, you are just being disingenuous) the error was found and corrected.
    The error was that as an EU citizen she could not be deported yet. Post Brexit she could be. That is why EU wide courts are needed to protect her and millions of others.
    Currently, they have the right to leave the UK for whatever amount of time - to care for an elderly relative, to take up a new job - and to return to resume their lives here. Under the UK government's proposals they would lose this right. That seems quite a biggie to me. If they get the same rights as UK citizens, that would not be an issue.
    If they want identical rights to UK Citizens they should become UK Citizens - and if that means giving up their home country citizenship because THEY won't allow dual citizenship, then life is about choices.

If they want identical rights to UK Permanent Residents - which is what the UK government is offering - then they should stay here permanently.

Why should 'Permanent Residents' from the EU have superior rights to 'Permanent Residents' from the US, Canada or South Africa?
    I am not sure there are any EU countries that do not allow dual citizenship. I haven't checked recently but I remember scanning through the lists a few months back and it struck me that dual citizenship seems to be allowed in all EU countries.
    In general terms those permitting dual nationality are : Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany ( but only with other EU countries ) Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland.

Those countries who do not : Austria, Estonia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland & Slovakia.

http://www.mcgillandco.co.uk/Blog/2017/6/6/which-eu-countries-allow-for-dual-citizenship
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I know we shouldn't read too much into analogies - but I found this astonishing:

When one of my colleagues from the British government went to Berlin in January and told me ‘Peter, let’s try to make a win-win situation out of this mess’ I said ‘yes, but can you imagine when you have a couple, man and wife, and two children, the house, the boat, the car, they are married for 30 years, and then they are going to divorce? Can you imagine how to make a win-win situation out of that mess?’ It will be a win-win situation for the lawyers of course, but certainly not for the family concerned,” he said.

I know more than a few divorced couples happier all round - sometimes it is better to get out than to soldier bravely on - the fact that he can't see this speaks volumes.....
    The divorce analogy is an interesting one. It is expensive, costly, stressful, emotionally upsetting, and traumatising.

But, it happens for a reason: the couple simply have irreconcilable differences.

In the long-term, as you say, its often the right thing to do and both sides end up happier.
    The problem is that we didn't have irreconcilable differences in the sense that like most divorces the couple had grown apart. This was more akin to a saggy ageing old man believing he's so devastatingly handsome he's obviously far too good for his attractive intelligent partner. It's actually quite sad to watch
    Yep the EU is definitely a saggy old man these days.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

DavidL said:

Bollocks. You have no idea what the arrangement is going to be for EU citizens after Brexit and all the indications are that effectively nothing will change for them if they are already resident. You are just making stuff up because it suits your narrative. Typical utterly dishonest Remoaner.

I am not sure there are any EU countries that do not allow dual citizenship. I haven't checked recently but I remember scanning through the lists a few months back and it struck me that dual citizenship seems to be allowed in all EU countries.
    Not sure the Dutch do.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,350
    edited August 2017

I had to look up, rather embarrassingly, three words in a piece I was reading this morning:

threnodic, chiasmic, and recondite.

£10 to a charity of your choice is anyone can guess what the piece was about!

Edit: it saddens me somewhat to realise that I am not the sort of person who knows, and perhaps uses both threnodic and recondite. Chiasmic I'm cool with not knowing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited August 2017
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

Despite all the hype and hoopla there is no reason why Floyd couldn't or wouldn't knock out Conor at a time of his choosing. Barring a black swan (plenty of those tbf of late) such as a takedown and rear naked choke, there's no way McGregor wins a boxing match. Nor has he been hit as hard as he is about to be hit, nor so often, nor in so many places.

So Mayweather winning in any (ie each) of rds 1-5 seems to me the standout bet at odds of between 16s and 24s.

I don't buy the "they'll keep it going" line - FMJ wants to win and in as short a time as possible. Once in the ring, it's about the boxing.

Speed and accuracy of punch, combined with no serious experience of how to avoid such an assault, should settle it relatively quickly I'd have thought.

Is this a Billie. Jean King v Bobby Riggs type event? What is for , obviously just money.
    This is the Wigan vs Bath rugby league match.

Floyd Mayweather = Martin Offiah.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, I'm sorry if you suffered pericombobulation.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2017

As I explained the other day, I try to include one unusual word or phrase in posts that in future I want to be able to find quickly through google. "Zeugma" was the word the other day, "satrapy" is today's word.

No need for apologies. Always good to learn - and hopefully remember.

Articles by Janan Ganesh in the Financial Times always seem to contain unusual words. Perhaps he does the same as you.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

"obviously just money"

quite a lot of it tbf
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,187
    TOPPING said:

I had to look up, rather embarrassingly, three words in a piece I was reading this morning:

Edit: it saddens me somewhat to realise that I am not the sort of person who knows, and perhaps uses both threnodic and recondite. Chiasmic I'm cool with not knowing.
    'The man behind the tattoos, the Connor McGregor we don't see'?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

haha

there is actually a link...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

haha

there is actually a link...
    I'm going for progressive creationism :)
  • Options

Mr. Topping, I'm sorry if you suffered pericombobulation.

Is that a condition suffered after a bite from a black adder?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

The music of Radiohead?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    edited August 2017
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

"obviously just money"

quite a lot of it tbf
    $300m between the two fighters AIUI. The US PPV is $99 and they’re expecting over 4m to subscribe. It’s the richest fight in history, and by some distance.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

"obviously just money"

quite a lot of it tbf
    True amazing amounts are generated.Hope it is not like Ali or George Best making a return.Always prefer to remember them in their prime.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

"obviously just money"

quite a lot of it tbf
    True amazing amounts are generated.Hope it is not like Ali or George Best making a return.Always prefer to remember them in their prime.
    Yes it's the big question. I'd like to think that 49-0 always left room for another fight and hence he hasn't been Ricky Hattoning in the meantime...
  • Options
    F1 - on the face of it, good for @Morris_Dancer’s bet as Raikkonen tops the timing sheets in P1. However Lewis Hamilton has almost the same time on the soft rather than ultra soft tyres. I’d go for Mercedes to dominate this weekend from here.
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, indeed. Symptoms include becoming frasmotic, anaspeptic, even compunctuous.
  • Options
    Malcolm Gladwell is surely hoping that Floyd Mayweather wins. If he doesn't, his 10,000 hours theory will never be taken seriously again.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

DavidL said:

Not sure the Dutch do.
    http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2017/07/dutch-prime-minister-confirms-opposition-to-dual-nationality/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The music of Radiohead?
    And the answer is......an introduction to Portrait of the Artist...
  • Options
    F1: Raikkonen fastest in P1. Different tyres to Mercedes but I think the fuel loads were drastically different too. However, useful that he was faster than Vettel.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

It just says that we will will meet our legal obligations, which according to many eminent lawyers is fuck all.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,321
    edited August 2017
    Sorry for distracting from the usual Brexit jollity but I have a tip. Not usual for me to have straight politics tips to give these days, but here it is, and in its own peculiar way it's a little left field.

It's Boris Johnson to succeed Theresa May.

Blondie has been friendless with the punters for some while but a trusted journalistic source tells me he's on manoeuvres and he's serious. Personally I don't think he's likely to win, but if my source is correct (and I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't think it is) then he's huge value at about 9/1.

I've lumped on, if only to trade back later.

Oh, and as regards the Mayweather/O'Connor thing, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. For a start, it's not boxing, it's not martial arts, it's not sport; it's a circus and a freak show. Of course we bet on all sorts of weird events, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

I'd take the same view of this one. It whiffs.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited August 2017

Articles by Janan Ganesh in the Financial Times always seem to contain unusual words. Perhaps he does the same as you.
    He’d be a b****rto play at Scrabble!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    619 said:
    Guardian being misleading (which is a pity, as they've been the most reliable coverer of BREXIT to date) - Boris only ever said we wouldn't pay an 'extortionate' amount - and who would?

EDIT - its actually the headline which is misleading - the body of the article is fair.
  • Options

619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

It just says that we will will meet our legal obligations, which according to many eminent lawyers is fuck all.
    Exactly my point downthread too. We'll always meet our obligations. That's never been in doubt.

The clarification required is what those obligations are, if any. This needs to be done properly and not the EU method so far of throwing darts at a board and writing down the score.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Sorry for distracting from the usual Brexit jollity but I have a tip. Not usual for me to have straight politics tips to give these days, but here it is, and in its own peculiar way it's a little left field.

Blondie has been friendless with the punters for some while but a trusted journalistic source tells me he's on manoeuvres and he's serious. Personally I don't think he's likely to win, but if my source is correct (and I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't think it is) then he's huge value at about 9/1.

Whatever his name, Boris or Al could be forgiven for feeling a bit down these days. Not too long ago, reaching his life’s ambition of the premiership seemed a realistic possibility. In a story that still hasn’t been fully told (wait for Tim Shipman’s book in the autumn is my advice) some friends of Boris thought on election night in June that his time had come, that Theresa May’s failure gave him his chance to take the crown.

Today, anyone suggesting Boris is within touching distance of the Tory leadership would not be taken seriously at Westminster. In the leadership contender market, shares in Boris PLC are trading near an all-time low, I reckon. (But then, the same is true of most Cabinet Tories.)

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/boris-johnson-has-returned-to-the-political-wilderness/
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

Questioned about his comments last month, Johnson said: “I think I was being asked then about some very large sums of money, I think 100bn euros or pounds, that the EU commission suggested we were on the hook for. That’s not a figure I recognise.”

He declined to say what figure would be considered fair.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    Not to be unkind, but it is perhaps worth mentioning the equally astronomical hairdressing bill of the less conventionally handsome former French president Francois Hollande, which the London Telegraph reports totalled the $160,000. A decision that sparked cries of "shampoo socialism" against the man who promised to be a more normal president compared with his "extravagant" predecessor, Nicolas Sarkozy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2017
    I see the BBC have been spreading fake news this morning. Just like claiming the PM sets the terror level, they claimed the government got the student numbers wrong, when it is the ONS who collate this information. It is a bit like saying the government got the weather wrong, because the MET office made an incorrect forecast.
  • Options
    619 said:

619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

Questioned about his comments last month, Johnson said: “I think I was being asked then about some very large sums of money, I think 100bn euros or pounds, that the EU commission suggested we were on the hook for. That’s not a figure I recognise.”

That's the point.

There is no "fair". There is only "exact" and "accurate".
  • Options
    619 said:

619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

Whatever is decided we legally owe is what is fair.

I read some time ago that the EU have decided that the assets they hold belong to the EU and not the member states, including the 9 billion we have in the EIB, but future liabilities are the responsibility of the members. Can someone tell me what parallel universe exists that would make that assumption a fair or indeed legal one?

And why do they have a wine cellar worth hundreds of thousand of Euros?

The more I read into the EU the more it resembles Animal Farm.
  • Options

619 said:

619 said:
    Utter bollocks.

And why do they have a wine cellar worth hundreds of thousand of Euros?

For entertaining Boris and DD?
  • Options

Probably not! Or at least it wouldn't be relevant.

The better Scrabble players just know the words and not the meanings. Especially two and three letter words. I've no idea what many of the very short words I put down actually mean. It's a points game, not a definition quiz.
  • Options

Is that the one where the animals vote to "Take Back Control" and at the end you can't tell the pigs from the humans?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hansmollman/status/900751052340908036

That says as much about the twatter and retwatters as it does about the media.

It reminds me how CNN have turned from a news network to a 24/7 anti-trump rant network. The past week or so I have watched a fair bit and if you only watched that channel you would have absolutely no idea about anything that is going on in the world other than what is the latest offensive thing Trump has said or tweeted.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is that the one where the animals vote to "Take Back Control" and at the end you can't tell the pigs from the humans?
    Interesting. I assumed he meant the porno movie.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Someone's going to have to explain that.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's the one where the pigs know best and fuck everyone else.

It seems to me that all the EU commissioners care about is money, the more the merrier to fuel their Eurostate dream.

As these negotiations continue and they realise they may not get what they demand, the less likelihood of there being any sort of deal done.

The problem for the EU commissioners is that is when politics will kick in, with those countries that are big exporters to us demanding a deal is done.

If I was DD I would sit back, kick my shoes off, have a cigar and let the infighting begin on their side.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,187

If I was DD I would sit back, kick my shoes off, have a cigar and let the infighting begin on their side.

Don't give the lazy f***er any encouragement.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Oh, and as regards the Mayweather/O'Connor thing, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. For a start, it's not boxing, it's not martial arts, it's not sport; it's a circus and a freak show. Of course we bet on all sorts of weird events, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

At the end of the day they are both climbing through the ropes to hit each other and it will be the person who is better at it than the other that wins. That's the beauty of the fight. It is actually happening - the bear vs crocodile is happening and there will be a winner!

Edit: that's Mayweather McGregor I'm talking about, not May vs BoJo!!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Probably not! Or at least it wouldn't be relevant.

The better Scrabble players just know the words and not the meanings. Especially two and three letter words. I've no idea what many of the very short words I put down actually mean. It's a points game, not a definition quiz.
    There’s a sheet one can buy with all the two and three letter words. Plus all the ones without vowels, such as CRWTHS or the opposite, such as EUOUAE or UOIAUAI.

What I meant, of course, that knowing all those obscure words is often helpful.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I see the BBC have been spreading fake news this morning. Just like claiming the PM sets the terror level, they claimed the government got the student numbers wrong, when it is the ONS who collate this information. It is a bit like saying the government got the weather wrong, because the MET office made an incorrect forecast.

Good luck with that. Remember to leave room for a reverse ferret if Theresa May is replaced.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,090

The problem for the EU commissioners is that is when politics will kick in, with those countries that are big exporters to us demanding a deal is done.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/695208361625796608

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39730326

How many times will Merkel have to disabuse him?
  • Options

The pigs are the Brexiters in this analogy
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

TOPPING said:

OK betting post.

"obviously just money"

quite a lot of it tbf
    Yes it's the big question. I'd like to think that 49-0 always left room for another fight and hence he hasn't been Ricky Hattoning in the meantime...
    For all his cash, flash and bravado he's maintained a very protestant work ethic. Even in his pre-fight strip club promotions he won't touch a drop of booze and it fits round his sleep patterns.
    If he was out on the lash or had put troughed out before this fight, we'd have heard about it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It seems to me that all the EU commissioners care about is money, the more the merrier to fuel their Eurostate dream.

As these negotiations continue and they realise they may not get what they demand, the less likelihood of there being any sort of deal done.

I wonder when we'll see the last sighting - in defiance of all the available evidence - of the idea that "German car makers will insist".

Perhaps we should have a sweepstake on it.
  • Options
    @GuardianHeather: "I hate you, you're not my friend any more and I'm not coming to your...press conference". https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/901026133998792704
  • Options

I wonder when we'll see the last sighting - in defiance of all the available evidence - of the idea that "German car makers will insist".

There has to be a reasonable chance of it surviving even after we have left with no good deal
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I know we shouldn't read too much into analogies - but I found this astonishing:

When one of my colleagues from the British government went to Berlin in January and told me ‘Peter, let’s try to make a win-win situation out of this mess’ I said ‘yes, but can you imagine when you have a couple, man and wife, and two children, the house, the boat, the car, they are married for 30 years, and then they are going to divorce? Can you imagine how to make a win-win situation out of that mess?’ It will be a win-win situation for the lawyers of course, but certainly not for the family concerned,” he said.

I know more than a few divorced couples happier all round - sometimes it is better to get out than to soldier bravely on - the fact that he can't see this speaks volumes.....
    The divorce analogy is an interesting one. It is expensive, costly, stressful, emotionally upsetting, and traumatising.

But, it happens for a reason: the couple simply have irreconcilable differences.

In the long-term, as you say, its often the right thing to do and both sides end up happier.
    The problem is that we didn't have irreconcilable differences in the sense that like most divorces the couple had grown apart. This was more akin to a saggy ageing old man believing he's so devastatingly handsome he's obviously far too good for his attractive intelligent partner. It's actually quite sad to watch
    Yes, Brexit is a classic male mid life crisis event.

Initially boredom with a solid and reliable partner, then a fling that makes for a laugbing sto k, an expensive divorce followed by a lifetime of regret. And a tattoo...

A very good analogy.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

At the end of the day they are both climbing through the ropes to hit each other and it will be the person who is better at it than the other that wins. That's the beauty of the fight. It is actually happening - the bear vs crocodile is happening and there will be a winner!

Betfair now have a whole pile of markets up for the fight, including round of victory, minute of victory, exact method of victory, under/over number of knockdowns, counts and many more.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/boxing/event/28050875/market?marketId=1.132180828
    1.33 on the fight not going 12 rounds looks like free money.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:
    Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe? A confused cartoon.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Betfair now have a whole pile of markets up for the fight, including round of victory, minute of victory, exact method of victory, under/over number of knockdowns, counts and many more.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/boxing/event/28050875/market?marketId=1.132180828
    yep absolutely - as I said I'm on Mayweather each or any of rds1-5 around 20s in each case.

Edit: because I'm greedy and 1.33 doesn't appeal in a two-horse race despite my views on it!!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

We shall see, can't say that I am all that bothered myself.

I would prefer that a deal is done but crashing out on WTO terms doesn't worry me one bit.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe?

Read the government position papers. They want to be in the EU, just call it something else.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

yep absolutely - as I said I'm on Mayweather each or any of rds1-5 around 20s in each case.

Edit: because I'm greedy and 1.33 doesn't appeal in a two-horse race despite my views on it!!
    Not convinced he will go down easily. Could go more than five rounds.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948
    edited August 2017

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, Brexit is a classic male mid life crisis event.

Initially boredom with a solid and reliable partner, then a fling that makes for a laugbing sto k, an expensive divorce followed by a lifetime of regret. And a tattoo...

A very good analogy.
    Or it could be seen as the long suffering wife w a boring, controlling, fat rich husband who longed for years to be free to have the choice to have a less outwardly glamorous, but ultimately happier lifestyle. Knocking about with her real friends instead of pretending to enjoy stiff dinner parties w the hubbies work colleagues.

The Remainers who aren't over it yet would be the husband alone at the party wondering why she'd prefer to be having fun drinking Aldi prosecco when she could be bored with him sipping vintage wine the chairman paid for
  • Options

I would prefer that a deal is done but crashing out on WTO terms doesn't worry me one bit.

Then I don't think you understand what that means
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

I’m on those too, with a pint on a one minute wonder at 40.
    Not putting the bank on this fight though, anything could happen.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, the EU is not solid or reliable. It's driven by political ideology that's not only divorced from democratic legitimacy but unable to ever acquire it because there is no single European identity and the cultural, economic, social and demographic differences between nations are too large to bridge.

Furthermore, QMV means it'll turn ever more into a eurozone club.

If genuine reform had been possible, that would've been great. But the EU only reforms in one direction. It's all about integration, and that's the ultimate choice we face. Separate, or integrate.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    philiph said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Not convinced he will go down easily. Could go more than five rounds.
    If you watch Diaz I you will see he was rocked and had nothing left hence had to shoot to try to take him down and then tapped out. Mayweather will be hitting him 1,000x as hard as Diaz. And all over, not just headshots.

But yes, that is the beauty of (any!) fight - we shall see!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Wait for the weigh in before piling on that I'd say. If Conor comes in at say 163, there is a fair chance he could last 12 rounds..
    I think MacGregor coming in overweight will be the next drama in this (profitable) farce :p
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

I’m on those too, with a pint on a one minute wonder at 40.
    Not putting the bank on this fight though, anything could happen.
    :smile:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Wait for the weigh in before piling on that I'd say. If Conor comes in at say 163, there is a fair chance he could last 12 rounds..
    I think MacGregor coming in overweight will be the next drama in this (profitable) farce :p
    Surprised there's not a market in it!

I think they'll both make the weight.
  • Options
    F1: Raikkonen still 17 to 'win' qualifying. Each way, that's crazy given Bottas is 4.5 and Vettel is 5. Raikkonen will at least be competitive with Vettel and possibly faster.

I'm not saying it's odds on, but the odds are too long and, given he was a tenth and a half up on Vettel in first practice, I'm astounded the odds haven't fallen to something sensible (7/8).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Whatever his name, Boris or Al could be forgiven for feeling a bit down these days. Not too long ago, reaching his life’s ambition of the premiership seemed a realistic possibility. In a story that still hasn’t been fully told (wait for Tim Shipman’s book in the autumn is my advice) some friends of Boris thought on election night in June that his time had come, that Theresa May’s failure gave him his chance to take the crown.

Today, anyone suggesting Boris is within touching distance of the Tory leadership would not be taken seriously at Westminster. In the leadership contender market, shares in Boris PLC are trading near an all-time low, I reckon. (But then, the same is true of most Cabinet Tories.)

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/boris-johnson-has-returned-to-the-political-wilderness/
    Fairy nuff, Scott, but my guy knows the Blonde Buffoon, personally.

Yer pays yer penny....
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, the EU is not solid or reliable. It's driven by political ideology that's not only divorced from democratic legitimacy but unable to ever acquire it because there is no single European identity and the cultural, economic, social and demographic differences between nations are too large to bridge.

Furthermore, QMV means it'll turn ever more into a eurozone club.

If genuine reform had been possible, that would've been great. But the EU only reforms in one direction. It's all about integration, and that's the ultimate choice we face. Separate, or integrate.

Put the rhetoric aside and think about practical questions. Do you think that an economic border between the UK and Ireland, or between the UK and France, or between Germany and the Netherlands should be reimposed? They weren't abolished by magic but by increasing degrees of political alignment and institutional cooperation. Regardless of whatever fantastical notions you might have, some form of political integration is absolutely necessary in order to enjoy the kind of things you take for granted.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I 'd have thought McGregor's best hope is that Mayweather dies of old age before the bout.

I remember the cross-code rugby matches and some of the RL fans around here claiming they'd win both matches easily. You'll win the League match easily, I agreed, but you've no chance in the Union game.

I'm no Nostradamus but that was bleedin' obvious. Assuming Mayweather is taking it seriously, there's only one winner unless he trips on his shoelace and lands on McGregor's glove.

If it lasts more than a round, Mayweather is showboating.

Greetings to all Brexiteers. The sun is shining, the EU is whining, and all's well with the world.
  • Options
    Mr. P, I agree.

They're at risk of pissing off everyone.

Either leave properly, or stay. And I've always said a range of leave options can make sense, but essentially staying in all but name is a farce.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Scott_P said:

philiph said:

Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe?

Read the government position papers. They want to be in the EU, just call it something else.
    What the government want and what they get will be two different things.

What the EU want and what they get will be two different things.

I'm happy to wait and see the result of the negotiation, if there is one. A pro or anti remainer or leaver analysis of every word, paper, speech or rant of the parties, the journalistic interpretation of the available information is all a waste of mental energy and for some emotional energy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, and it’s not something that ever usually happens in a title fight - if one fighter can’t make weight then the fight’s off. In this case there’s a financial penalty ($1m a lb?) attached to the weigh-in.

If McGregor comes in a stone overweight that does change the complexion of the fight somewhat, maybe Mayweather will start sledging him as the fat f*** before they even start!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is the brexit lorry heading over the white cliffs towards mainland Europe? A confused cartoon.
    He's not a good cartoonist.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, hmm. I don't think Boris will get it, but as a trading bet that may appeal. Hmm.

Mr. Glenn, exporting to any nation requires meeting the standards that nation sets. Why not create a customs union for the UK + EU, enabling the UK to sign FTAs with other countries and not disrupting existing supply chains?

Allowing a foreign court to give special rights to people in this country, however, is nothing short of judicial imperialism. A fair compromise could be grandfathering in existing rights for those currently here and a new settlement for those who arrive post-departure.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and as regards the /O'Connor thinrevents, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

Yes, and it’s not something that ever usually happens in a title fight - if one fighter can’t make weight then the fight’s off. In this case there’s a financial penalty ($1m a lb?) attached to the weigh-in.

If McGregor comes in a stone overweight that does change the complexion of the fight somewhat, maybe Mayweather will start sledging him as the fat f*** before they even start!
    It's interesting - I think his pride will want to make the 154; he will in any case rehydrate to 165-170 so he climbs through the ropes a stone heavier than Mayweather regardless. I just don't think in his mind he wants to be seen as a guy who comes in overweight to an agreed fight.

But of course I know nothing of his mind!
  • Options

F1: Raikkonen still 17 to 'win' qualifying. Each way, that's crazy given Bottas is 4.5 and Vettel is 5. Raikkonen will at least be competitive with Vettel and possibly faster.

I'm not saying it's odds on, but the odds are too long and, given he was a tenth and a half up on Vettel in first practice, I'm astounded the odds haven't fallen to something sensible (7/8).

The Merc and Ferrari drivers were all on very different programmes during P1, Vettel lost a lot of time to a brake problem and Kimi’s fast time looked like a qualy simulation right at the end of the session on the US tyres. I can understand why the price hasn’t changed too much.

Also of note is that the cars are were faster than last year’s pole time by half way through P1, helped by the US tyres in some cases, although it’s sad that Esau Rouge corner is not clearly flat at any time which removes a little of the challenge, if not the 5g switch from side to side at 180mph as they go through the corners.
  • Options

philiph said:

Scott_P said:
    The only reliably good cartoonist is Matt.
  • Options

Bring back Marf !!
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Raikkonen's been qualifying well this year, and in 2016 outqualified Vettel. He also (the Finn) has won, I think, as many times at Spa as both Vettel and Hamilton combined. It's a good circuit for him.

I agree that this should be a Mercedes circuit, but a bad lap or mistake is eminently possible, and Ferrari does have some aerodynamic upgrades.

Again, I don't think it's a gimme or dead cert, but the odds and reality, I feel, are some way apart.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, exporting to any nation requires meeting the standards that nation sets. Why not create a customs union for the UK + EU, enabling the UK to sign FTAs with other countries and not disrupting existing supply chains?

The world is not going to create some elaborate fiction to satiate your need for an unencumbered sense of national identity.
  • Options
    Without one very large donation, the SNP would have raised less money than the BNP:

https://twitter.com/graeme_from_IT/status/900808119592333313
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, the UK is not going to dissolve its national identity to satisfy the fiction of a country called Europe.
  • Options
    I guess the Libyan Army band have a lot on their plate:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/901005510421381120
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Oh, and as regards the /O'Connor thinrevents, from Big Brother to the Eurovision Song contest farce, and to small stakes there's no harm but you know that they're not really straight and you'd be a fool to stake heavily unless you have insider knowledge.

It's interesting - I think his pride will want to make the 154; he will in any case rehydrate to 165-170 so he climbs through the ropes a stone heavier than Mayweather regardless. I just don't think in his mind he wants to be seen as a guy who comes in overweight to an agreed fight.

I guess we’ll soon find out. Apparently they step on the scales at around 11pm tonight UK time.

Have you decided how you’re going to watch yet?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

I guess we’ll soon find out. Apparently they step on the scales at around 11pm tonight UK time.

Have you decided how you’re going to watch yet?
    Live! I thought of waiting until the morning but I will watch the (very good) undercard and then the thing itself. It's a long weekend so to hell with it!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Mr. Glenn, the UK is not going to dissolve its national identity to satisfy the fiction of a country called Europe.

I thought you were all about England? Are you able to tolerate this artificial political construct called the UK because you can pretend it's an extension of England?
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, you're mistaken. I want an English Parliament because a stable constitutional settlement is required for the UK as much as it's necessary to be fair to England.

I'm mildly amused you're in love with the EU but call the UK an artificial political construct.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749

Without one very large donation, the SNP would have raised less money than the BNP:

https://twitter.com/graeme_from_IT/status/900808119592333313

How does Plaid Cymru manage on £5000 a year?
  • Options
    Off topic put a small bet on Spurs to finish in bottom six.As I believe every game for them this year is an away one .With every team they play at Wembley raising their game like it is a cup final.
  • Options
    Mr. City, but what odds?
This discussion has been closed.