Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The “Will Trump survive full term betting” edges back to him m

124»

Comments

• Options
    Monkeys said:

It just occurred to me that the Pope wears a £10 analogue watch.

I wonder what Satoshi Nakamoto wears?

This may be the age of narcissists, but shaped by the Ascetic Monk

Does he exist?

I've always assumed him to be a bit of Keyser Soze.
  • Options

Mr. Enjineeya, that's the excuse they may sometimes cite, but why attack Western countries (and many non-Western) with wildly varying political and military approaches? What's Finland ever done to the Middle East?

The common factor is Islam, particularly new recruits who are full of zeal and empty of knowledge, and a desire to atone for past sins (by committing an exciting array of new ones...). Similar social/economic conditions exist for plenty of other groups but they tend not to have such an extremist fringe. A fundamentalist religious outlook coupled with lack of central authority to definitively denounce lunatic acts is, unfortunately, the perfect cocktail for terrorism.

Mr. M, it was bloody flukey. But I'll take a 250/1 fluke. (Nearly got 200/1 this year. If Ocon hadn't ****ed up and hit Perez, the latter would've likely finished top 2 in Azerbaijan. One was not amused).

You're making the mistake of seeing Islamic terrorism as some sort of centrally controlled operation. It isn't. It's largely perpetrated by autonomous, ideologically driven young men fired up by perceived injustice against people they identify with. The single most effective thing we could do to fight terrorism would be to stop Israel from appropriating Palestinian land for its settlements.
    But that isn't what they say. ISIS at least. Palestinian is way down on their list.

They hate our way of life and they hate non-believers and they want to kill them all.
    You're missing the point, which is what drives people to join/follow ISIS in the first place. It is typically perceived injustice.
    Who says?
    Criminologist Andrew Silke, for one. Writing in the New Scientist: "When I ask them why they got involved, the initial answer is ideology. But if I talk to them about how they got involved, I find out about family fractures, what was happening as school and in their personal lives, employment discrimination, yearnings for revenge for the death toll of Muslims."
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533

Mr. Enjineeya, that's the excuse they may sometimes cite, but why attack Western countries (and many non-Western) with wildly varying political and military approaches? What's Finland ever done to the Middle East?

The common factor is Islam, particularly new recruits who are full of zeal and empty of knowledge, and a desire to atone for past sins (by committing an exciting array of new ones...). Similar social/economic conditions exist for plenty of other groups but they tend not to have such an extremist fringe. A fundamentalist religious outlook coupled with lack of central authority to definitively denounce lunatic acts is, unfortunately, the perfect cocktail for terrorism.

Mr. M, it was bloody flukey. But I'll take a 250/1 fluke. (Nearly got 200/1 this year. If Ocon hadn't ****ed up and hit Perez, the latter would've likely finished top 2 in Azerbaijan. One was not amused).

You're making the mistake of seeing Islamic terrorism as some sort of centrally controlled operation. It isn't. It's largely perpetrated by autonomous, ideologically driven young men fired up by perceived injustice against people they identify with. The single most effective thing we could do to fight terrorism would be to stop Israel from appropriating Palestinian land for its settlements.
    But that isn't what they say. ISIS at least. Palestinian is way down on their list.

They hate our way of life and they hate non-believers and they want to kill them all.
    You're missing the point, which is what drives people to join/follow ISIS in the first place. It is typically perceived injustice.
    Who says?
    Criminologist Andrew Silke, for one. Writing in the New Scientist: "When I ask them why they got involved, the initial answer is ideology. But if I talk to them about how they got involved, I find out about family fractures, what was happening as school and in their personal lives, employment discrimination, yearnings for revenge for the death toll of Muslims."
    That sounds about right.
    There are also, of course, the smaller set of individuals predisposed to enjoy violence for its own sake, and the ISIS 'struggle' just provides the opportunity to act out their fantasies. (And criminologists probably don't get to talk to many of them.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

‪What the hell? ‬

This could only be more mingin' if you were eating pineapple on pizza.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/899961843778715648

Presumably the 1% who think a circular plate is unacceptable want to be hand fed.
    Or are breatharians.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

Monkeys said:

Does he exist?

I'm pretty sure he/they/she/it are also Banksy and the Count St Germain.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I still can't see sufficient number of GOP senators voting to convict to meet the two-thirds requirement.

I think he might get LBJ'd in the primaries, if so, will he run as an Independent?

Trump won't lose the primaries. Kasich might win New Hampshire but he won't beat Trump in Iowa and South Carolina and Florida etc. Most likely 2020 will be Trump v Warren in my view
    I have two POTUS bets so far.

Ivanka and Zuckerberg.
    Neither would win the GOP or Democratic primaries
    They were a 'bit of fun' bets, only a few quid. But as the normal rules of politics have been suspended, possibly indefinitely, then who knows?

Zuckerberg is certainly showing signs of interest.
    Zuckerberg has zero chance of winning the 2020 nomination as a billionaire centrist, only a populist left liberal will do for the Democratic base next time
    Regaining the White House and removing the GOP will do for the Democratic base next time. If that means a centrist then they will take that.
    No, they picked a centrist last time having been told she was 'electable' and lost. They will not make the same decision again. Sanders very nearly beat her last time, early Democratic primary polls give Sanders and Warren combined a majority of Democratic primary voters and given early 2020 general election polls have both beating Trump one of those two will almost certainly be the Democratic nominee
    If they want to win, they will have to pick someone along those lines - though not necessarily either of those two.
    Given the huge head start both those two have in name recognition and polling and appeal to the base it will be tough to stop them
    Perhaps, but Bernie will be *really* old, and there are genuine questions about Warren's desire to run.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,919
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I still can't see sufficient number of GOP senators voting to convict to meet the two-thirds requirement.

I think he might get LBJ'd in the primaries, if so, will he run as an Independent?

Trump won't lose the primaries. Kasich might win New Hampshire but he won't beat Trump in Iowa and South Carolina and Florida etc. Most likely 2020 will be Trump v Warren in my view

Ivanka and Zuckerberg.
    They were a 'bit of fun' bets, only a few quid. But as the normal rules of politics have been suspended, possibly indefinitely, then who knows?

Zuckerberg has zero chance of winning the 2020 nomination as a billionaire centrist, only a populist left liberal will do for the Democratic base next time
    And preferably a woman. Or black. Or Kamala Harris.

Also, if there was controversy over Trump’s business dealings, then Mark Zuckerberg would be controversy on steroids.
    The one most convinced Zuckerberg is likely to run seems to be Trump himself - I have my doubts he has any intention of running.

Having said that there's a pretty massive difference between the two. Zuckerberg is actually successful in building a business (as opposed to inheriting wealth); his charitable donations are real; he doesn't appear to be a pathological liar; he almost certainly would divest his business interests if he were to run.
    None of that particularly qualifies him to run for president - and the idea of random billionaires self-funding presidential runs is pretty unwholesome - but Trump he ain't.
    I was thinking more of the nature of his company, especially with regard to influencing elections. He’d probably have to stand aside from his business at the point he announced his candidacy, rather than after the election as happened with Trump.
    Zuckerberg's best chance would be to set up his own centrist party and run as an independent a la Macron in France, though the odds would still be against him
    The bet is effectively, at this stage, on will he run. He shows signs he might - visits to Iowa for example. If he announces a run in two or three years time, then my 35/1 should come down.

But as I say, it was for a bit of fun really.
  • Options
    Say what you like about Bannon, he is a troll par excellence…
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/22/bannon-breitbart-trump-afghanistan-241884?lo=ap_a1
    One piece was headlined “His McMaster’s voice: Is Trump’s Afghanistan policy different from Obama?” It amounted to a two-fer: Ripping national security adviser H.R. McMaster — a former Bannon rival — and likening Trump’s decisions to those of Obama…

(& it’s a three-fer, since it also suggests to Trump that he’s McMaster’s puppet, which I'm sure he'll love...)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Well, his ex-wife did pretty well on that score when she divorced him, after his conviction, on grounds of unreasonable behaviour. But that was last century.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    As a public service announcement TSE has discovered the wewantplates Twitter account and may be unavailable for some time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,725
    edited August 2017
    Monkeys said:

The BBC4 documentary on the Silk Road last night was fascinating. He was making $20k a day, while sub-renting an upstairs room in a house in San Francisco for $1k a month and using the public library wifi for internet.

I have no idea how many, is any of the bitcoins he made he still has. I can only imagine what they would be worth now.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,989
    Afternoon all. On a quiet afternoon (let's hope it remains that way), some interesting thoughts on local authorities investing in property:

http://www.cipfa.org/cipfa-thinks/cipfa-thinks-articles/managing-property-investment-risk?

Provide adequate social care provision or buy a retail park ? Not quite that simple.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

"But that isn't what they say. ISIS at least. Palestinian is way down on their list."

They hate anyone who doesn't conform to their version of true Islam. Many Palestinians don't.
    By killing others and/or being killed, they earn paradise for themselves. Not so good for the 72 virgins, though.

A Corbynite friend of mine suggested that all they want is colour TVs and the other signs of Western affluence. That's so daft on so many levels, it's not even wrong! Bin Laden was doing it for the money?

Mr D, Finland and the rest of Scandinavia are allowing women to walk around virtually undressed. They deserve to die.

The choice of watch of the Billionaire Osama Bin-Laden was the Casio F91-W. You can pick it up for £10.

For some, money buys freedom, not objects.
    My watch is a Lorus analogue costing about £25.

Which PBer is wearing the most extravagent watch as they post?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,655

Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

"But that isn't what they say. ISIS at least. Palestinian is way down on their list."

They hate anyone who doesn't conform to their version of true Islam. Many Palestinians don't.
    By killing others and/or being killed, they earn paradise for themselves. Not so good for the 72 virgins, though.

A Corbynite friend of mine suggested that all they want is colour TVs and the other signs of Western affluence. That's so daft on so many levels, it's not even wrong! Bin Laden was doing it for the money?

Mr D, Finland and the rest of Scandinavia are allowing women to walk around virtually undressed. They deserve to die.

The choice of watch of the Billionaire Osama Bin-Laden was the Casio F91-W. You can pick it up for £10.

Where's @SeanT when we need him...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,902

Monkeys said:

Does he exist?

The Pope definitely exists. His boss, on the other hand....
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

That's about as much as I've ever spent on a watch. I lost so many when I was a child/student, I have an ingrained fear of spending too much... :)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

His GF probably still wears one of those watches with Micky Mouse pointing at the time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

IIRC he doesn't wear one. There was a whole thing about it
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,655

TOPPING said:

Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

His GF probably still wears one of those watches with Micky Mouse pointing at the time.
    Wasn't it that Mickey Mouse wears a @SeanT watch?

(boom boom - still; better than the supposed "best" gag at the Edinburgh Fringe).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,966
    I apologise for what follows. There's so much self-evident nonsense in this article that offering a structured debunking feels like writing literary criticism about a bowl of Alphabetti Spaghetti. With that in mind, I advise you take some simple precautions before reading further.

https://chokkablog.blogspot.co.id/2017/08/the-big-lie-about-scotlands-oil.html
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TOPPING said:

(boom boom - still; better than the supposed "best" gag at the Edinburgh Fringe).

To be fair, the 'best' gag was better than the also-rans.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm usually a Tim Vine fan, but his contribution was far below his usual standard.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Oh dear, Geoff Boycott's put his foot in it.

He'd already have a knighthood if he hadn't been convicted for domestic violence.

(There probably is some truth to his suggestion that West Indian cricketers have historically been given knighthoods more easily. But then they occupy (or occupied, sadly) a much more seminal place in their culture than ours do.)

EDIT: oh, and the rebel tour to South Africa probably hasn't helped his cause either
    Having met him, I can only say what a pleasure it wasn't.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

He'd already have a knighthood if he hadn't been convicted for domestic violence.

(There probably is some truth to his suggestion that West Indian cricketers have historically been given knighthoods more easily. But then they occupy (or occupied, sadly) a much more seminal place in their culture than ours do.)

EDIT: oh, and the rebel tour to South Africa probably hasn't helped his cause either
    The View From The Boundary on TMS at lunchtime on Saturday, with Aggers interviewing Richard Osman, was most enlightening. Amongst other things, Osman said that Boycott is exactly the same in person as he is on mic.
  • Options
    I was thinking, why is he meeting one of his MPs in Toronto? But different TD!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm usually a Tim Vine fan, but his contribution was far below his usual standard.
    OK, so here's mine for this year:

These trousers are very old. They're definitely on their last legs.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Monkeys said:

CD13 said:

Mr Borough,

I am 1,000,000/1 to win that contest
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,465
    Way off-topic:

Here's the eclipse taken from deep space.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2nGmyPAvrTmJG/giphy.gif

Taken by DSCVR at the Sun-Earth L1 point. I *think* that's the satellite that Trump's turning off the Earth-observation functions. You know, because observing the Earth is a bad thing, obviously....

To give you an idea of how far away this probe is, here's an animation of the Moon crossing he Earth:
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

TonyE said:

The View From The Boundary on TMS at lunchtime on Saturday, with Aggers interviewing Richard Osman, was most enlightening. Amongst other things, Osman said that Boycott is exactly the same in person as he is on mic.
    Sorry to disappoint, he's not half as charming in real life.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Geoff Boycott in trouble for making politically incorrect comments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41010324
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

Exactly half, I would have thought. Zero divided by two being zero?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,191
    Dura_Ace said:
    Highly doubtful. A DDG like an Arleigh Burke doesn't navigate with just GPS.

One thing I learned on my US Navy exchange is that they have a ruthless, transparent and highly effective blame culture. The career of the captain of the USS McCain is now over. In the RN he would get an MoD posting in London until "the stink" died down...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,440
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ivanka and Zuckerberg.

Regaining the White House and removing the GOP will do for the Democratic base next time. If that means a centrist then they will take that.
    Aren't they likely to think "whoever we pick will beat Trump, we can pick someone we really want"?
    No because there's no guarantee the GOP will retain Trump.
    The GOP base who elect the nominee will pick Trump again or similar
    We are barely half a year into a four year term and Trump is unpopular.

A lot more can change in three and a half years.
    The GOP base are not going to pick an establishment centrist having got one of their own in the White House that is for sure.

Is Trump that popular with the rank and file Republicans? From where I'm standing, he seems to have done a better job with Blue Collar (formerly) Democrats than the traditional guns and God Republican base.

Yes and most of those voted for him in the primaries, especially if they were open primaries
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mr. Eagles, I think that's trying to create a false comparison.

That might have been a very much second tier aspiration, but the IRA's goal was for Northern Ireland to join the republic. That was the political cause that lay behind their terrorist/criminal acts.

But even were it so, that's a negotiable political matter. What's the area of negotiation we could have with ISIS, or their ilk? No to genocide, yes to crucifying children? No to archaeological desecration, yes to industrial scale rape?

Everything they stand for is unacceptable and the only result they want is the conversion, enslavement or death of everyone who doesn't subscribe to a particular and brutal form of Islam.

It's possible to negotiate about borders or political settlements. It's not possible to negotiate with the Master Faith, as they see themselves. They're insane, vicious supremacists.

When people are desperate, they put their faith in extremists. It's no surprise that religious/nationalist fervour seems to correlate with social inequity.
    It is indeed an interesting article in the New Scientist:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23531390-700-anatomy-of-terror-what-makes-normal-people-become-extremists/

To me, sending troops back to Afghanistan is a classic case of repeating mistakes.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

What Boycott or Osman?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

One thing I learned on my US Navy exchange is that they have a ruthless, transparent and highly effective blame culture. The career of the captain of the USS McCain is now over. In the RN he would get an MoD posting in London until "the stink" died down...
    They may not navigate just with GPS, but people (on both ships) get lazy.

As for the US Navy protecting their captains, I give you the Evans-Melbourne collision. The way Stevenson was treated to protect the US Navy was disgraceful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne–Evans_collision
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189

Nigelb said:

There was some suggestion a couple of years back that the conviction was unfair:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/11922112/Geoffrey-Boycott-must-be-knighted-after-new-evidence-points-to-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

The latest kerfuffle will likely have put paid to any prospect in any event (the South Africa business doesn't seem to have held back others....).
    I think Gooch [OBE] might have been knighted by now if it weren't for the rebel tour (and of course he'd have 10k+ runs to boot).

Derek Underwood MBE could have had a strong case too. And Alan Knott doesn't seem to have any kind of honour at all, which is remarkable. He was in Wisden's all-time Test World XI! Perhaps he turned one down?
    Alan Knott - thats a name that spins me straight back to my early teenage years - just had a look on YouTube to see his inimitable batting again for old time sake - he got 7 off one ball v the West Indies in 1976 (when the West Indies could play a bit)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Way off-topic:

Taken by DSCVR at the Sun-Earth L1 point. I *think* that's the satellite that Trump's turning off the Earth-observation functions. You know, because observing the Earth is a bad thing, obviously....

To give you an idea of how far away this probe is, here's an animation of the Moon crossing he Earth:
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

Eh? It was the Obama administration who first tried to turn it in to a solar observatory.

The Trump administration is implementing Obama's plan for the satellite. But that doesn't fir the narrative so it gets lost in pure anti-Trump propaganda,
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41010705

Budget surplus for the first time since 2002 due to unexpectedly high income tax receipts. Could be a sign of capital flight if people are paying themselves to get money out of the country.

Or, more likely, that people are earning more because business is booming.

Because of Brexit.
    Nah, it's all down to Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy.

Mrs May lost the election the moment she fired him.
    I am, perhaps, not quite as much of a fan - but I have to say he came across as entirely sensible this morning, talking about the northern 'powerhouse' strategy on the Today program.

Grayling's handling of northern transport infrastructure has been little short of insulting.
    How come this northern infrastructure HSNorth did not get underway in Osborne's 6 years in charge of the Treasury?
  • Options

That might have been a very much second tier aspiration, but the IRA's goal was for Northern Ireland to join the republic. That was the political cause that lay behind their terrorist/criminal acts.

But even were it so, that's a negotiable political matter. What's the area of negotiation we could have with ISIS, or their ilk? No to genocide, yes to crucifying children? No to archaeological desecration, yes to industrial scale rape?

Everything they stand for is unacceptable and the only result they want is the conversion, enslavement or death of everyone who doesn't subscribe to a particular and brutal form of Islam.

It's possible to negotiate about borders or political settlements. It's not possible to negotiate with the Master Faith, as they see themselves. They're insane, vicious supremacists.

When people are desperate, they put their faith in extremists. It's no surprise that religious/nationalist fervour seems to correlate with social inequity.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23531390-700-anatomy-of-terror-what-makes-normal-people-become-extremists/

To me, sending troops back to Afghanistan is a classic case of repeating mistakes.
    Actually Trump's policy on Afghanistan is both necessary and sensible. ISIS have to be driven out of the country and the government shored up while the fact Trump is considering talks with moderate elements of the Taliban shows he is also thinking longer term
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

Eh? It was the Obama administration who first tried to turn it in to a solar observatory.

The Trump administration is implementing Obama's plan for the satellite. But that doesn't fir the narrative so it gets lost in pure anti-Trump propaganda,
    Do you have linkys for those claims?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

They may not navigate just with GPS, but people (on both ships) get lazy...

That was my initial thought. In any event, the sudden rash of collisions lacks an obvious explanation, and the USN interruption of naval operations suggests something fairly serious afoot.

As far as the blame culture is concerned, earlier centuries might have seen the odd exemplary hanging from the yardarm...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Actually Trump's policy on Afghanistan is both necessary and sensible. ISIS have to be driven out of the country and the government shored up while the fact Trump is considering talks with moderate elements of the Taliban shows he is also thinking longer term
    Put it in the next Tory manifesto in place of the dementia tax. Nailed on it will go down like a lead balloon.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

I don't have a linky, but I have a link: https://web.archive.org/web/20110226184401/http://www.spaceflightnow.com:80/news/n1102/21dscovr/
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,191

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

They may not navigate just with GPS, but people (on both ships) get lazy.

As for the US Navy protecting their captains, I give you the Evans-Melbourne collision. The way Stevenson was treated to protect the US Navy was disgraceful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne–Evans_collision
    I was making the opposite point. In my experience the US Navy does not protect its officers in these situations.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Put it in the next Tory manifesto in place of the dementia tax. Nailed on it will go down like a lead balloon.
    What a ridiculous comment. Western Europe is under attack by radical Islam and defeatism does not work as Barcelona has shown. It has to be beaten at source. If you want popular policies internment of suspected terrorists and the death penalty for convicted terrorists would do the trick!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What a ridiculous comment. Western Europe is under attack by radical Islam and defeatism does not work as Barcelona has shown. It has to be beaten at source. If you want popular policies internment of suspected terrorists and the death penalty for convicted terrorists would do the trick!
    I am not suggesting defeatism, and the tactics that you suggest have failed repeatedly over recent decades.

What I am suggesting is that you read the article that @fearsum_Enjineeya linked to. It contains plenty of serious analysis about what has gone wrong in previous campaigns.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am not suggesting defeatism, and the tactics that you suggest have failed repeatedly over recent decades.
    So has everything else, including appeasement.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

I don't have a linky, but I have a link: https://web.archive.org/web/20110226184401/http://www.spaceflightnow.com:80/news/n1102/21dscovr/
    I think you've misunderstood what that article's saying, and what Trump's proposing.

A satellite can perform more than one task at once, using multiple instruments.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Disagree on the death penalty, that just makes martyrs of them.

Much better to treat them like Lee Rigby’s killers, sitting as they are in a solitary cell, seeing no-one except the guard bringing their food, knowing that they will never get out even if it takes another 50 years of their miserable existence.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Quidder, appeasement hasn't ended yet, as Champion discovered.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

I think you've misunderstood what that article's saying, and what Trump's proposing.

No, its crystal clear. The Obama admin proposed the re-purposing and NASA under Trump are implementing it.

If you weren't so blinded by your anti-Trump views and if the names of the Presidents were reversed you'd see this as simple scientific reallocation of resources to replace ACE.
  • Options

Mr. Quidder, appeasement hasn't ended yet, as Champion discovered.

It hasn't ended, but the result is clear.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So has everything else, including appeasement.
    Now thats what I call defeatism!

• Options
    Mr. Quidder, yeah, but we knew that anyway.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

No, its crystal clear. The Obama admin proposed the re-purposing and NASA under Trump are implementing it.

If you weren't so blinded by your anti-Trump views and if the names of the Presidents were reversed you'd see this as simple scientific reallocation of resources to replace ACE.
    AFAICT Repurposing != removing, but adding.

They added more instruments onto it so it could perform multiple roles. And the Trump regime is removing the Earth-observing functions for political, not monetary, reasons.

And ffs, I've complemented a couple of Trump's actions on here. But stopping those intrsuments when the satellite has been built and launched is stupid.
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: Backed Raikkonen each way at 17 with Ladbrokes to get pole (that's 1/3 the odds for top 2). It's likely to be a four horse race (with Mercedes and his team mate). Last year he beat Vettel in Belgian qualifying and has had some good qualifying so far this year. He's also got a great record at Spa and, unlike the race, the team can't possibly want him to do other than his best.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What I am suggesting is that you read the article that @fearsum_Enjineeya linked to. It contains plenty of serious analysis about what has gone wrong in previous campaigns.
    I will have a look at the article but the radical Islamists want to expand a pure Islamic state as far as they can by any means they can, there is no possible way to beat that other than to get tough
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Disagree on the death penalty, that just makes martyrs of them.

Much better to treat them like Lee Rigby’s killers, sitting as they are in a solitary cell, seeing no-one except the guard bringing their food, knowing that they will never get out even if it takes another 50 years of their miserable existence.
    At least they would no longer be a problem, though I would not be too bothered if genuine lifelong imprisonment was used as an alternative
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Way off-topic:

It was launched with fully functional Earth observation instruments which are currently used - here are images from it https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth. It was launched with the enhanced solar storm observational equipment but also it's suite of looking at the earth equipment.

For reasons unstated Trump is ordering that the Earth observation equipment be turned off.
  • Options
    Allan said:

Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41010705

Budget surplus for the first time since 2002 due to unexpectedly high income tax receipts. Could be a sign of capital flight if people are paying themselves to get money out of the country.

Or, more likely, that people are earning more because business is booming.

Because of Brexit.
    Nah, it's all down to Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the economy.

Mrs May lost the election the moment she fired him.
    I am, perhaps, not quite as much of a fan - but I have to say he came across as entirely sensible this morning, talking about the northern 'powerhouse' strategy on the Today program.

Grayling's handling of northern transport infrastructure has been little short of insulting.
    How come this northern infrastructure HSNorth did not get underway in Osborne's 6 years in charge of the Treasury?
    The history is here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_3
    Grayling has been rowing back since then.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has anyone had any bets paid out by Betfair last Thursday relating to the general election ?

I've had some winnings but I don't know what they were for.

2017-08-17
    20:02
    Transfer From Sportsbook, Bet Receipt O/1250780/0xx ?

£36 for me, have reinvested it into Mayweather.
    I had three similar to that.

And done the same reinvestment.
This discussion has been closed.