Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the SNP’s MPs would probably not support a vote for an ear

SystemSystem Posts: 11,708
edited August 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the SNP’s MPs would probably not support a vote for an early general election

Ever since it became clear that Mrs. May’s June election gamble had failed and she’d lost her majority there’s been lots of speculation that this parliament will not go through to its full term in June 2022. Maybe but there the obstacle to surmount of the Fixed Term Parliament Act which was part of the coalition deal in 2010. The days when a PM can pop along to the Palace and call an election are long gone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    edited August 2017
    Thirst.

I'm far from convinced anyone would want another election.
  • Options
    Questions have been raised over the general election expenses of Liberal Democrat deputy leader Jo Swinson in East Dunbartonshire.

Ms Swinson's campaign spending came in £210 below the legal limit, but reports say this was only after almost £7,000 of costs were disregarded.

Row over Jo Swinson election spending in East Dunbartonshire
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-40959614
  • Options
    The city mayors Sadiq Khan and Andy Burnham could lose their speech slots at the Labour party conference this year under a stripped-back speaking programme which will prioritise party member debates.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Interesting that swings under 3% would give 5 more Tories , 7 more Labour and 1 more LD
  • Options
    The SNP are the Tory party's little helpers as history has shown.

The SNP voted against Labour in the 1979 vote of no confidence which helped usher in 18 years of Tory rule and Thatcherism
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,746
    With increasing age, having two elections one after the other becomes more of a challenge.
  • Options
    I think the next GE might conceivably destroy the SNP. :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Interesting that swings under 3% would give 5 more Tories , 7 more Labour and 1 more LD

We wouldn't be far off from the Tories being from the largest party in Scotland.

We're going to need a bigger klaxon.
  • Options

With increasing age, having two elections one after the other becomes more of a challenge.

I'm sure Jeremy will cope. :)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Thirst.

I would
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    edited August 2017
    Rather like Universal Basic income that was discussed at the bottom of the last thread, the SNP voting against an election is one of those things that works a lot better in theory than it does in practice.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Maybe more interesting is what happens in 2021 with the next Scottish elections. If the SNP lose there, then indie2 is dead in the water.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Iain Martin has an article in The Times today claiming that decline and fall of Alex Salmond is a model for the future of Corbyn
  • Options

felix said:

We wouldn't be far off from the Tories being from the largest party in Scotland.

The challenge for Ruthie is to get more leapfrogs from 3rd to 1st. East Lothian? Edin N? Falkirk? Fife NE? Linlithgow & E. Falkirk? Midlothian?

Simples :)
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Sandpit said:

Rather like Universal Basic income that was discussed at the bottom of the last thread, the SNP voting against an election is one of those things that works a lot better in theory than it does in practice.

I'm not that far away from getting my universal basic income :)
  • Options

Thirst.

I would
    Maybe the 'Democrats' would be keen if they become a thing. :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Iain Martin has an article in The Times today claiming that decline and fall of Alex Salmond is a model for the future of Corbyn

Will we get to see Corbyn making sexist jokes on the Edinburgh Fringe in five years' time as well?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

The challenge for Ruthie is to get more leapfrogs from 3rd to 1st. East Lothian? Edin N? Falkirk? Fife NE? Linlithgow & E. Falkirk? Midlothian?

Jacob Rees-Mogg is the man to win all the Glasgow seats for the Tories.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg is the man to win all the Glasgow seats for the Tories.
    Up to a point Lord Copper - up to a point!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not that far away from getting my universal basic income :)
    They're between a Stone of Scone and a hard place right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Matt is the undisputed genius of getting two unrelated stories into a simple cartoon.
    https://twitter.com/BenHatch/status/898065580921675777/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/08/17/has-anyone-bothered-to-ask-what-the-eu-gets-out-of-all-this

Our plans have no resonance, because they are tailored around our own needs rather than those of our negotiating partner.

More than anything, this is just a really bad strategy. The longer we insist on thinking only about ourselves, the less able we are to get what we want.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Will we get to see Corbyn making sexist jokes on the Edinburgh Fringe in five years' time as well?
    Corbyn doesn't do jokes. He only does the sexism.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434

The SNP are the Tory party's little helpers as history has shown.

The SNP voted against Labour in the 1979 vote of no confidence which helped usher in 18 years of Tory rule and Thatcherism

The SNP are nowhere near as bad as the SDP for being Tory's little helpers, yet many people here seem to pine for the SDP...
  • Options
    Incidentally, re A Levels. If passes are up and the gap between boys' and girls' achievement is narrowing, that is a pretty unambiguous signal that the exams are getting easier, IMO.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Incidentally, re A Levels. If passes are up and the gap between boys' and girls' achievement is narrowing, that is a pretty unambiguous signal that the exams are getting easier, IMO.

Was it a narrowing of the gap? Thought it was boys' achievement surpassed girls'?

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Or that they are starting to become less dependent on swotting and memorisation.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    A-level results

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/charts/embed/aug/2017-08-17T07:16:41/embed.html

we get very fussed over really small changes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209

Doesn't it suggest that less emphasis is being placed on coursework?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Corbyn doesn't do jokes. He only does the sexism.
    I don't know his leadership of the PLP appeared to be a constant series of jokes...His one about the packed virgin train was a side splitter.
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited August 2017
    Mortimer said:

Was it a narrowing of the gap? Thought it was boys' achievement surpassed girls'?

Surpassed within certain grade ranges I think. More A*As, but weaker elsewhere (on a quick scan).
    PClipp said:

Or that they are starting to become less dependent on swotting and memorisation.

Possibly, yes; how do you envisage that would work? AIUI, the slide in relative performance arose from the introduction of more modules and continuous assessment. These mean that grades are based in some measure on (possibly) assisted and (certainly) time-unlimited work, as opposed to output under controlled conditions of comparison (which used to favour boys). Achieving an improvement in boys' grades under the current structure would entail either a complex reformulation of the course and the marking systems, or alternatively, you could just give boys more generous grades.

edit: I had totally cocked up the quote formatting
  • Options
    Pretty good first over for Eng at Edgbaston - 10-1!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

It's certainly statistically intriguing, but I'd be surprised if the scenario arises. Worth knowing, though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    Mortimer said:

10-0, I think.
    And that was a wide, wide wide...
  • Options
    Let's see if England can keep up 10 an over all night!
  • Options
    Any chance of Andrew Strauss coming out of retirement for The Ashes?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

10-0, I think.
    And that was a wide, wide wide...
    Indeed yes, I meant to write 10 off 1!

Oh dear - Stoneman gone...
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, you prophet of doom!
  • Options
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Thirst.

I would
    Why? What difference would it make?
  • Options
    And another wannabe opener bites the dust...
    ...for this innings, at least.
  • Options
    Mrs C, betting opportunities, surely?
  • Options

Thirst.

I would
    PB is going through a fallow period, in terms of betting opportunities, a general election would change all that.

I'm hoping the SNP are so offended by this thread they say it is casus belli for a second Indyref.
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, you prophet of doom!

Well at least it gives Stoneman someone to blame.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2017
    Sandpit said:

They wouldn't need to vote against an election. They would simply need to find some contorted piece of SNP logic which would allow them to claim, with a moderately straight face, that being unavoidably absent from the vote was a decisive blow for Scotland.

For a party which managed to claim that a vote on fox-hunting in England would not be an England-only matter, I'd have thought this should be a breeze.
  • Options

Thirst.

I would
    PB is going through a fallow period, in terms of betting opportunities, a general election would change all that.
    I presume all the people betting against Merkel in 2015 are too busy thinking about what to spend their winnings on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    edited August 2017
    I agree with Trump, you can't change history.

I blame the University of Oxford for all this nonsense and their acquiescence to the Rhodes must fall nonsense.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

At least he's unlikely to have to worry about his own statues.

Perhaps he'll erect one of Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited August 2017
    PClipp said:

wrong way round,

Mortimer said:

Surpassed within certain grade ranges I think. More A*As, but weaker elsewhere (on a quick scan).
    PClipp said:

Possibly, yes; how do you envisage that would work? AIUI, the slide in relative performance arose from the introduction of more modules and continuous assessment. These mean that grades are based in some measure on (possibly) assisted and (certainly) time-unlimited work, as opposed to output under controlled conditions of comparison (which used to favour boys). Achieving an improvement in boys' grades under the current structure would entail either a complex reformulation of the course and the marking systems, or alternatively, you could just give boys more generous grades.

edit: I had totally cocked up the quote formatting
    boys scores increasing relatively would tend to suggest a swing away from more coursework.

from the Guardian live blog:

"After years’ of improving attainment by girls, early indications suggest boys seem finally to be starting to claw their way back and one of the key factors could be the reintroduction of end-of-year exams as part of the A-level reforms.

Traditionally end of course exams have been regarded as favourable to boys. When modular qualifications were introduced in 2002, girls’ performance began to climb - a trend which has continued.

Ahead of results day, the speculation has been that with the reintroduction of end-of-course exams, that could be reversed and the performance of boys may start to improve. And so they have.

This year, for the first time in at least seven years, boys across the UK in all subjects outperformed girls in achieving A-A* grades, gaining 26.6% A and A*, compared with 26.1% for girls. Last year 25.7% of boys were awarded A and A*s – 0.3 points below girls.
    "

• Options
    Jury selection, US style (which makes me wonder how they might ever manage to empanel one for Trump)...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/08/16/jurors_said_they_couldn_t_fairly_judge_martin_shkreli_in_court_because_he.html
    “The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?” the judge asked the prospective juror. “I don’t think I can,” the juror replied, “because he kind of looks like a dick.”…
  • Options
    Lovely cut from Cook there - this is 20/20 stuff!
  • Options
    Cripes ! - is the pink ball making Cook think he's been selected for a limited overs game ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jury selection, US style (which makes me wonder how they might ever manage to empanel one for Trump)...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/08/16/jurors_said_they_couldn_t_fairly_judge_martin_shkreli_in_court_because_he.html
    “The question is, have you heard anything that would affect your ability to decide this case with an open mind. Can you do that?” the judge asked the prospective juror. “I don’t think I can,” the juror replied, “because he kind of looks like a dick.”…

The jury for Trump's impeachment will be the senate, so no empanelling problems there.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Nigelb said:

The jury for Trump's impeachment will be the senate, so no empanelling problems there.
    Trump is unlikely to come to trial until after he has left office, IMO.
    (though I don't think all that many in the Senate would say anything different.)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

A-level results

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/charts/embed/aug/2017-08-17T07:16:41/embed.html

we get very fussed over really small changes.

I shall be interested to see Dr Ydoethur’s informed take on at least the history results.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(though I don't think all that many in the Senate would say anything different.)
    I hope he gets a Mexican heritage judge.

That would be fun.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Politically, the SNP's voters would not like the SNP refusing to vote against a vote of no confidence against a Tory government. That would make them lose votes to the Lib Dems and Labour to an even larger degree at the 2020 election
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And if it's a Republican president, he will probably pardon Trump anyway
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    619 said:

Politically, the SNP's voters would not like the SNP refusing to vote against a vote of no confidence against a Tory government. That would make them lose votes to the Lib Dems and Labour to an even larger degree at the 2020 election

Despite the risk to their MPs, no way would the SNP keep the Tories in office.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Thirst.

I would

I'm hoping the SNP are so offended by this thread they say it is casus belli for a second Indyref.
    That would hardly single it out as something special.
  • Options

I blame the University of Oxford for all this nonsense and their acquiescence to the Rhodes must fall nonsense.

At least Oxford has some history to destroy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That would be fun.
    Up against the wall!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

felix said:

Tories might already be the biggest party in Scotland if it weren't for Cameron and Osborne wasting a decade when they decided the answer was gerrymandering not campaigning. It turns out the Scots and Welsh voters will put their X in the blue box if given reason to, but the posh boys wrote them off as Labour rotten boroughs to be removed by boundary changes.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Just sat down, saw Stoneman face one ball and get bowled. On the evidence, I prefer him to Jennings.
  • Options

You can change the present - and what does Trump know of history anyway ?

There are reasoned arguments on both sides:
    https://www.vox.com/world/2017/8/16/16152088/nazi-swastikas-germany-charlottesville
    The president is not contributing to them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

619 said:

Despite the risk to their MPs, no way would the SNP keep the Tories in office.
    Yep - See the SNP's fortunes 1979 - 2007 or so...

Long time in the Scottish political wilderness for supporting the Tories. Unless you ARE the Tories.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    off topic

it is a dreadful shame that, five years after the Olympics, participation in sport hasn't improved at all.
  • Options

Just sat down, saw Stoneman face one ball and get bowled. On the evidence, I prefer him to Jennings.

Indeed. Stoneman at least looked as if he has batted at no. 2 before.....

It was a tremendous ball. Would even have got me out....!
  • Options

Thirst.

I would
    From a betting or party-political perspective? (or both, of course).

I can see how another election will mean more betting markets and opportunities. I doubt an election this year would really help the Lib Dems much.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Agree it could do, though as I said to PClipp, if you wanted to improve boys' grades it's easier to change nothing and just give them better grades than a girl would have got.

The reason I say the exams are getting easier is because of a thought experiment I came across. I forget where. But it went like this.

If you have two groups of candidates for an exam of patently different ability - 6-year-olds in one and 25-year-old PhDs in the other, say - then their scores will differ in most instances. But they will be identical if either the exam is very easy, or if it is very hard. An easy exam might be

1. Write your first name (100 marks).

Everyone in each group will score 100% on such a paper, and there will be no difference between the groups' relative performance.

The hard exam looks like this:

1. If you take a positive integer, and then divide by 2 if it is even, or multiply by 3 and add 1 if it is odd, then repeat this process with the resulting number, eventually you will end up with the number 1.

Prove that there is no positive integer of which this is untrue.

The latter (the Collatz Conjecture) is currently insoluble (nobody's found such an integer but nobody has shown there can't be one). Everyone in each group will score 0% on such a paper, and there will be no difference between the groups' relative performance.

So if the exam is either very easy or very hard, the two groups' performance will look the same. Thus, as it approaches being very easy or very hard from somewhere in between, their disparate performances will converge.

Where we see converging exam performance between boys and girls, therefore, we ideally need some other piece of preferably quantitative evidence that points to whether it's converging because the exam has become easier, or because it's become harder, either of which would produce convergence. If the overall pass rate in the exam has risen, this strongly suggests the exam has got easier. If it has fallen then the scores are converging upon everyone failing, so it has got harder.

It is of course possible that scores have improved because everyone has genuinely become more intelligent, or worsened because everyone has become more stupid. Proving that is a bit circular, though.
  • Options

“Can’t repeat the past?” he cried incredulously. “Why of course you can!”
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

off topic

it is a dreadful shame that, five years after the Olympics, participation in sport hasn't improved at all.

And utterly predictable. In fact, I believe I said so on here. The Olympics were a massively expensive and wasteful way to make the country feel good about itself for two weeks.

The only positive thing about it was the fact that Paris didn't get it ... ;)
  • Options

Sadly the debate has become so polarised, with large groups of violent idiots on both sides, that it's going to be a long and difficult road forward.

Trump is right on this one, which seems a weird thing to say. Pulling down statues serves no purpose except as a vehicle for one group of morons to provoke the other group of morons.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,042

Thirst.

I would

We might get an Australian election soon as the government is teetering over a bizarre dual nationality scandal. Backing an ALP win will be free money.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

That would be fun.
    Up against the wall!
    A fair trial and shot!
  • Options

An easy exam might be

Everyone in each group will score 100% on such a paper

Blimey, you have faith! :)

• Options
    Not with the quote above. The removal of statues is not an example of progress in this instance.
  • Options
    619 said:

What about those SNP voters who lean Tory? time to get rid of the blinkers.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The former confederate states continue to need a reckoning with their past. If that is to be had by removing statues, so be it. There's a lot to be said for moving them to a statue park, as happened in some places in eastern Europe after the fall of Communism.

Alternatively, southern states should start erecting statues that are inclusive for those for whom the confederacy was nothing to be celebrated. The fact that doesn't seem to be happening much suggests that a few need to be removed first before the reckoning can take place.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,864
    Back on topic, the SNP could never survive being the party that kept the tories in power office...

They would have to support a no confidence vote, although I bet they hope there isn't one for a while yet - long enough at least for the tories to damage their standing in Scotland.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Nigelb said:

The question of jury prejudice should be taken more seriously here. Some decisions in emotive cases seem to be based less on evidence (or at least that fraction of it reported in the papers) and more on the basis of no smoke without fire. Of course, nearly every miscarriage of justice took place in front of a jury.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, well quite. The SNP are almost certainly reliable enemies of the Conservatives for the foreseeable future. The prospect of an early general election that the Conservatives are opposed to is remote for so long as the SNP look set to lose further seats at one.
  • Options

Back on topic, the SNP could never survive being the party that kept the tories in power office...

They would have to support a no confidence vote, although I bet they hope there isn't one for a while yet - long enough at least for the tories to damage their standing in Scotland.

Again - you're assuming no-one in Scotland wants to vote Tory - which is bizarre on a site like this. Many SNP voters were ex-Tories and numbers have already flooded back to the blue camp. The Tories would struggle to be the first party in Scotland but the last GE and assembly election are testimony to the fact that the brand is alive and kicking. Ask Salmond.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sadly the debate has become so polarised, with large groups of violent idiots on both sides, that it's going to be a long and difficult road forward.

Trump is right on this one, which seems a weird thing to say. Pulling down statues serves no purpose except as a vehicle for one group of morons to provoke the other group of morons.
    Demonstrably untrue:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/baltimore-confederate-statues.html
  • Options

On topic, well quite. The SNP are almost certainly reliable enemies of the Conservatives for the foreseeable future. The prospect of an early general election that the Conservatives are opposed to is remote for so long as the SNP look set to lose further seats at one.

The party may be - but many of their voters take a different view about the merits of the alternatives.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    619 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And if it's a Republican president, he will probably pardon Trump anyway
    Although if a state AG preferred charges, e.g. Schneiderman in NYS where the Trump campaign was based, the President would have no pardon power in such a case.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

tlg86 said:

Agree it could do, though as I said to PClipp, if you wanted to improve boys' grades it's easier to change nothing and just give them better grades than a girl would have got.

The reason I say the exams are getting easier is because of a thought experiment I came across. I forget where. But it went like this.

If you have two groups of candidates for an exam of patently different ability - 6-year-olds in one and 25-year-old PhDs in the other, say - then their scores will differ in most instances. But they will be identical if either the exam is very easy, or if it is very hard. An easy exam might be

Everyone in each group will score 100% on such a paper, and there will be no difference between the groups' relative performance.

The hard exam looks like this:

1. If you take a positive integer, and then divide by 2 if it is even, or multiply by 3 and add 1 if it is odd, then repeat this process with the resulting number, eventually you will end up with the number 1.

Prove that there is no positive integer of which this is untrue.

The latter (the Collatz Conjecture) is currently insoluble (nobody's found such an integer but nobody has shown there can't be one). Everyone in each group will score 0% on such a paper, and there will be no difference between the groups' relative performance.

So if the exam is either very easy or very hard, the two groups' performance will look the same. Thus, as it approaches being very easy or very hard from somewhere in between, their disparate performances will converge.

Where we see converging exam performance between boys and girls, therefore, we ideally need some other piece of preferably quantitative evidence that points to whether it's converging because the exam has become easier, or because it's become harder, either of which would produce convergence. If the overall pass rate in the exam has risen, this strongly suggests the exam has got easier. If it has fallen then the scores are converging upon everyone failing, so it has got harder.

It is of course possible that scores have improved because everyone has genuinely become more intelligent, or worsened because everyone has become more stupid. Proving that is a bit circular, though.
    9 has a long old sequence to 1! (28 I make it)
  • Options
    Mr. P, odd to think that was just over two years ago. Feels like another age.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    edited August 2017
    Not a lot of upside for the Conservatives in that list. They are likely to lose as many seats to Labour as they win off the SNP, as the Unionist tactical vote unwinds and Labour becomes more credible as winners of seats. 15 to 30 seats for Labour is entirely doable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Demonstrably untrue:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/baltimore-confederate-statues.html
    How does a city mayor deciding to take sides and work under cover of darkness with no public debate, demonstrably prove anything?
  • Options

Mr. P, odd to think that was just over two years ago. Feels like another age.

Yes. Labour, the Conservatives, the Lib Dems and the SNP all had leaders who were more likeable and competent than their current leaders. ;)
This discussion has been closed.