Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back Trump to be impeached in 2019 at 18-1

Comments

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Detroying all known missile sites and/or the leadership personally. This is roughly what Israel did with Iran - it kicks the can down the road, but builds up hatred.

Iraq?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

18/1 for an actual impeachment passing looks mean, never mind in a single year. He's much more likely to stand down of his own accord.

He could stand down claiming he has done a great job, great job, and that his work was done.
    Remember, the replacement is Pence.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    We'll be living with the damage George Osborne has done for at least a generation.

Nor should that prick Clegg be forgotten for his role in this.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes and no.

McCain may well have saved the midterms for the GOP who would otherwise face millions of voters who'd just lost (or were about to lose) their health cover,
    I agree. Most Republicans seem unable to appreciate how blue collar their support is, these days.
    When we owned a place in Long Island, we used a lovely local lady to help with babysitting the kids. We became friends with her and husband who had been a skilled machinist before his company closed down their US operations and shifted them abroad. He became a sheriff, but it paid substantially less well than his previous job.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, they were Donald Trump voters, and the message of economic nationalism really appealed to them. Bringing jobs back and restricting low-skilled immigration from Mexico and LatAm were the key issues for them.

But they also benefitted hugely from Obamacare. Their son, in his early 20s, was beaten up and left with lingering health issues. Before Obamacare, they ended up mortgaging themselves to the hilt to pay his bills, because these were pre-existing conditions, and they couldn't afford insurance. If Obamacare had simply been repealed, it would would have been an utter disaster for them. I doubt they would have voted Republican again.

Donald Trump doesn't realise it, but John McCain may have saved him.
    Thanks to John McCain, the Republicans have dodged a wide bullet.

Back in the days when the Republicans enjoyed overwhelming support among better off Americans (plus White Southerners) they could have repealed it, without hitting their base of supporters, but not now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    F1: Massa sounds too ill for qualifying.

Still a tenth faster than Stroll, though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Morning sexy Leavers of PB! :D

I've got a feeling The Donald will do the full 8 years in the end! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

We'll be living with the damage George Osborne has done for at least a generation.

One of several reasons why Cable was the wrong choice too.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    F1: I did say Vettel's odds were too long at 5.2 He's now 2.3 to win.

Edited extra bit: now laid, so flat or green either way. He was 5.5 yesterday, backed a little each way.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

I have been monitoring it, don't you worry ;-)

Am off to the SW next week and anticipate seeing semi-desert instead of green rolling hills. The recent rain has saved our southern British bacon for the moment, but things are not great here either drought-wise. Another dry winter and we'll be in trouble.

It is surely the East of England which has the lwoest rainfall.

The SW suffers from a shortage of reservoirs to store the rain that falls so is first to impose garden hose pipe bans. But that does not mean they don't have rain.

I meant SW France!

Yes, the view from the window here in SW England is of sunshine and showers and the grass growing about as fast as I can mow it. I understand SW France is as dry as you are expecting.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Are any of the NK interventionists personally willing to go and fight 1m+ NK soldiers on the frozen Chosin reservoir?

I am happy to be a peacenik (albeit one with quite a military interest!) but this is not one for us. We have neither capability nor particular interests in the area. We have other fish to fry.
    We should make it clear that, if NK falls, we would be willing to work with China and SK in a humanitarian aid program. But only if asked.
    There is a bit of a Korean diaspora here already. about 45 000, half of whom are students.

Indeed the waitress in my favourite sushi bar is a Korean student, and there are several Korean supermarkets and restaurants in Leicester. I quite like Koreans and Korean food, they seem a bit more interested in mixing than some other student communities.

While reunification with the North would present challenges, not least likely infrastructure collapse if war induced, it would go a long way towards sorting South Korea's demographic challenge from very low fertility rates.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Charles said:

FPT

Charles said:

Minimal scientific benefit from a single case study.

For it to be meaningful it needs to be a randomised controlled trial, preferably double-blinded.

How does it work for the very rarest illnesses or procedures?

I have a vague awareness that some experimental heart surgeries have to deal with very small sample sizes (in fact I guess they all do, when you first start doing them), with careful statistical rules for discontinuing the procedure if the results to date indicate it's problematic, and obviously there are problems double-blinding heart surgery. But the rarer the condition, the lower the power even the largest studies could attain, and even moderate effect sizes would struggle for statistical significance.

(The hypothetical scenario I was suggesting involved basic research, rather than a clinical trial to seek approval for a purported treatment. Does that make a difference? If all you want to find out to understand the illness a bit more is "Does doing X result in Y for patients with condition Z?" and Z is so rare that we seldom get the opportunity to try X out - in fact by the time we do, we've possibly moved on from wanting to try out X1 to wanting to see the effects of X2 or X3 instead - at what stage do the ethics regulators say "you can't justify your interventions since your research programme simply won't be able to produce a useful evidence base - you will always lack data points, and you can't demonstrate that the X you are trying is likely to have a clinical benefit"?)
    There are statistical rules on everything but the regulators are pretty creative where it comes to orphan and ultra orphan diseases (I'm on the board of an orphan company)

From an ethics perspective in ultra orphan, a theoretical rationale for why it might work is a good starting point ("I hope it might cross the blood brain barrier" is not sufficient)
    Thanks. And presumably they'd like to see results in an animal model or something first. Does there have to be any realistic hope that the research might actually alleviate the condition in the case of the person undertaking the trial or is it sufficient that the research is investigating a mechanism that is a plausible basis for future, hopefully more useful, interventions?
  • Options
    F1: this'll be in the pre-qualifying article but it's a race tip:
    No Safety Car is now 1.98 on Betfair. Originally mentioned and tipped at 1.61, the 1.98 will count in the records (if that sounds like cherrypicking, the 5.5 on Vettel to win this time and 26 each way on Raikkonen for pole last time didn't count).
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Trump could finally come to an end over cannabis,a legal industry with a current customer base in the US and Canada worth $53 billion.Many of those who work in the industry are naturally libertarian GOP supporters and any moves to impose federal prohibition by Trump means he is attacking the business base of some of his natural supporters.They could be the ones to tear him down.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237
    Whilst we talk about North Korea, the latest economist has another question on its cover: what can be done about Venezuela?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-40759887
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

Trump could finally come to an end over cannabis,a legal industry with a current customer base in the US and Canada worth $53 billion.Many of those who work in the industry are naturally libertarian GOP supporters and any moves to impose federal prohibition by Trump means he is attacking the business base of some of his natural supporters.They could be the ones to tear him down.

What specific tearing-down mechanism do you have in mind?
  • Options
    F1: waiting for qualifying market. Specifically, to see the odds on Raikkonen each way. Suspect everything else will not be interesting.

That practice session has set up qualifying very nicely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,251
    GIN1138 said:

Morning sexy Leavers of PB! :D

I've got a feeling The Donald will do the full 8 years in the end! :open_mouth:

Eight years without a major health issue? Possible. But far from odds on.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,305

What specific tearing-down mechanism do you have in mind?

Perhaps Linda McMahon could organise a pay-per-view Wrestlemania event where Trump would put his Presidency on the line against Hulk Hogan.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
  • Options

One of several reasons why Cable was the wrong choice too.
    I’ve been a long-time Lib/LibDem supporter and was once an activist but I’ve been reflecting and worrying of late. There have been several Coalition chickens which have come home to roost lately, and not just tuition fees. Cutting legal aid, and assistance for tribunals is one that particualarly bothers me, and I seem to remember that there were LibDem ministers in the DoJ, who must have been aware. I’ve also read disturbing reports about a ‘bonfire of regulations’ in Vince’s department which may have contributed to the Grenfell disaster.

So for me Farron, with his ‘differences’ with the past was a good choice, but I’m no means as sure about Vince Cable. I don’t think Jo Swinson has quite the same baggage.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Re. North Korea.

China's the important player here, and we have to ask what they want and what their fears are.

They don't want US troops on their doorstep, which means that North Korea falling and South Korea taking over would be a no-no. They also don't want millions of North Koreans flooding over their borders.

Then there are the economic factors: if NK do something stupid, then China will be seen (rightly in some ways) as their protectors. That might hurt them economically, and that really matters to them at the moment.

But they also realise how unstable NK is, and that the country also threatens them in various ways. They have no fondness for NK.

The solution may be for the US and China to come to a deal. China will deal with NK's leadership, whilst the US protects SK. Once NK's leadership is gone, both sides remove their troops (China from NK, US from SK) and let the unified Korea sort themselves out.

It would raise China's standing internationally, and also make SK less of a competitor: the SK government would have to spend a fortune over decades 'fixing' the north.

It's a case of persuading China, and to a lesser extent the US, that the current situation is unsustainable and bad for business.

Persuasive post IMO.
  • Options

I think that the proposed nucleoside treatment has never been used for the condition in a human, or even an animal model of the disease. No physician believes that it would reverse the major brain damage, not even the American professor who proposed it. He never examined the child, nor even read the casenotes, or reviewed the brain imaging. This is not a treatment effective for the condition that Charlie had.

There is a significant chance of a further baby being affected, as this is a mitochondrial disease mutation. Testing on an animal model in order to prepare for treatment from birth for the next child, before the disease advances to the terminal phase, might be a reasonable next approach.

Mitochondrial DNA mutations do lend themselves to another approach, as the DNA is not in the nucleus. That would be to use an embryo with three parents, a maternal ova, paternal sperm and the mitochondria from an egg donor. There is some interest in this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393682

Thanks, this is most informative. Obviously the fact it "is not a treatment effective for the condition" is why it was denied. I was really wondering in what situation the ethics people might go with "he's a goner anyway, but can we learn anything useful from him for future patients, even if it has no benefit to him?" which is what a pure utilitarian might go with. (I am not a big fan of pure utilitarianism.)
  • Options
    F1: lots of interesting news and pre-qualifying thoughts today. Bit rushed, so forgive me if there are minor errors:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/hungary-pre-qualifying-2017.html
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

F1: lots of interesting news and pre-qualifying thoughts today. Bit rushed, so forgive me if there are minor errors:

Mr D, you appear to have mistakenly used the terms 'F1' and 'interesting' in the same sentence!
  • Options
    SA save the follow-on!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

Mr D, you appear to have mistakenly used the terms 'F1' and 'interesting' in the same sentence!
    I have no idea why he bombards us with off topic F1 bollocks.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Re. North Korea.

China's the important player here, and we have to ask what they want and what their fears are.

They don't want US troops on their doorstep, which means that North Korea falling and South Korea taking over would be a no-no. They also don't want millions of North Koreans flooding over their borders.

Then there are the economic factors: if NK do something stupid, then China will be seen (rightly in some ways) as their protectors. That might hurt them economically, and that really matters to them at the moment.

But they also realise how unstable NK is, and that the country also threatens them in various ways. They have no fondness for NK.

The solution may be for the US and China to come to a deal. China will deal with NK's leadership, whilst the US protects SK. Once NK's leadership is gone, both sides remove their troops (China from NK, US from SK) and let the unified Korea sort themselves out.

It would raise China's standing internationally, and also make SK less of a competitor: the SK government would have to spend a fortune over decades 'fixing' the north.

It's a case of persuading China, and to a lesser extent the US, that the current situation is unsustainable and bad for business.

Persuasive post IMO.
    Given its position, agreement that a unified Korea will be non-aligned would help too. Treaties guaranteed the neutrality of Austria and Finland and reassured the Soviet Union. Failure to do so with the Baltic states - the US talked arrogantly of winning the Cold War - damaged relations with Russia for years to come, Putin or no Putin.

Germany only took 25 years to absorb the DDR. Germany's GDP/cap. is 15% higher than the UK. S. Korea might do the same.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited July 2017
    FPT @Dura_Ace You said:

"When i started serving on carriers in the 90s the popular view of people not involved in carrier ops was then, as now, that they were obsolete sitting ducks for new wonder weapons. Back then the carrier killing threat was high speed, supercavitating Russian torpedos that turned out not to exist."

Your comment sparked my interest. I had never heard of supercavitating torpedoes, so I did a Wiki search... you say they turned out not to exist but is this not one then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    isam said:

twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/891249200394096640

It's Cambridge - what do you expect.

A hideous mixture of spies traitors, SJWs and grievance whores.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Dura_Ace said:

I have no idea why he bombards us with off topic F1 bollocks.
    It is because his anorak is of a different type.

We could always talk about shoes. Plato and I used to have great discussions about the relative merits of slingbacks vs courts. Her favourite, IIRC, was cuban heels or block heels.
  • Options
    isam said:

If this is as it seems, and not fake news in some way, it's obviously a ridiculously extreme view. But let's not fall into the same trap and assume all black people think all white people are racist.

OTH I think it is well proven that unconscious bias runs deep in all of us, of whatever creed or colour, and it's as well to be self-aware about that.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

isam said:

Yeah, you tell 'em, Geoff!
  • Options
    isam said:

Somebody please buy this gentleman a mirror.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

isam said:

It’s a report in The Heil; fake news!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
  • Options

FPT @Dura_Ace You said:

"When i started serving on carriers in the 90s the popular view of people not involved in carrier ops was then, as now, that they were obsolete sitting ducks for new wonder weapons. Back then the carrier killing threat was high speed, supercavitating Russian torpedos that turned out not to exist."

Your comment sparked my interest. I had never heard of supercavitating torpedoes, so I did a Wiki search... you say they turned out not to exist but is this not one then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval

...which the Iranians reverse engineered into their "Hoot" torpedo in the early 2000's.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2017
    Think it's difficult to tell how the midterms will go. Even if Obamacare had been repealed, I still think progress for the Democrats would have been hard. Trump's voters are essentially like a cult, much like Corbyn's supporters are. They are unlikely to ever hold him accountable for anything. A lot of the time they appear to be living in an alternative reality - e.g. 50% of them believe that Trump won the popular vote. It's hard to engage with a set voters who seem to be living in an alternate reality.

As for the GOP and their support, I think one of the reasons why they wanted to repeal Obamacare so badly was because of their base. It appears that they thought that would really motivate their base to come out in the midterms.

I agree that Trump may well win again in 2020, and it's a crying shame for America. The ironic thing about those in their twitter bios and in Trump rallies proclaiming 'MAGA' is that Trump is doing anything but making America great again. Indeed, it looks as though it's becoming increasingly difficult for the Republicans to pass any major legislation and they have the house, the senate and the White House right now. Perhaps, they have made their coalition too big - certainly, it seems to have made coming to an overall agreement on matters such as healthcare incredibly difficult for them.

As for the culture wars there, I'm glad we don't have a significant set voters as socially conservative as many of those in America are. I don't think I could live in a country where people talked on and on about rights being 'god given' how abortion is murder, how the LGBT community are all immoral and so on. One of the good things about this country is that god doesn't come up in politics very much. Long may that continue.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

isam said:

If this is as it seems, and not fake news in some way, it's obviously a ridiculously extreme view. But let's not fall into the same trap and assume all black people think all white people are racist.

OTH I think it is well proven that unconscious bias runs deep in all of us, of whatever creed or colour, and it's as well to be self-aware about that.
    Who's falling into any trap?

The head of an equality group :lol:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited July 2017
    We have a proven madman with nukes and icbms. The only constraint is technical, he can't sit one on top of the other.

Tick tick.

The question is not whether we should act, or when we should act, but how. Where is the UN in all this? Isn't that exactly what it's for.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

isam said:

So they are the left wing answer to yourself then, given your many alt-right sympathies.
  • Options
    On topic

It is simple enough. If Trump goes rogue on the Republicans and the Trump Party sets up in the Whitehouse then the Republicans will bring him down. They did not go to all this trouble to win an election after which their policies are sidelined by their own leader.

I have always suspected that the Republicans used Trump as a Trojan to get to the Whitehouse and then they would ditch him and install Pence - a man who appears to have no decision making ability of his own and would do as he was told.

I am surprised that they have not ditched Trump yet.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    isam said:

isam said:

Who's falling into any trap?

The head of an equality group :lol:
    One who believes he lives in a "white supremacist world"...

https://www.varsity.co.uk/features/12862
  • Options

GeoffM said:

isam said:

It’s a report in The Heil; fake news!
    I'm certainly not one to rely on the DM as a source, but they have Scott'n'Pasted his original tweets so there's not much wriggle room in the story!
  • Options

On topic

It is simple enough. If Trump goes rogue on the Republicans and the Trump Party sets up in the Whitehouse then the Republicans will bring him down. They did not go to all this trouble to win an election after which their policies are sidelined by their own leader.

I have always suspected that the Republicans used Trump as a Trojan to get to the Whitehouse and then they would ditch him and install Pence - a man who appears to have no decision making ability of his own and would do as he was told.

I wouldn't say that about Pence. He's very socially conservative, which is how the GOP likes em'. Getting their socially conservative agenda through would be an absolute doddle with him as President. Especially since the kind of chaos Trump produces wouldn't be there anymore.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Are any of the NK interventionists personally willing to go and fight 1m+ NK soldiers on the frozen Chosin reservoir?

The battle was not fought on the reservoir itself, which was frozen only because of once in a century weather conditions, and it is only a sensible place to have a battle if one party is invading Korea from China (which works best if you are Chinese) and the other is opposing the invasion. Subject to that yeah, I'll give it a go.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

isam said:

So they are the left wing answer to yourself then, given your many alt-right sympathies.
    You're correct there. I'm exactly like them. One day I'll post a gallery of all the riots I've been on.

But right now I'm too busy watching the cricket on a 55" tv I looted from Currys in a pro-Ann Coulter riot I organised last month.

SA all out for 175! Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

You're correct there. I'm exactly like them. One day I'll post a gallery of all the riots I've been on.

But right now I'm too busy watching the cricket on a 55" tv I looted from Currys in a pro-Ann Coulter riot I organised last month.

Riots or no riots, SJWs and alt-righters both unpleasant groups with extreme views. While their are legit criticisms of SJWs, a great many of them don't come from Breitbart, Trump/Milo sympathising types.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Riots or no riots, SJWs and alt-righters both unpleasant groups with extreme views. While their are legit criticisms of SJWs, a great many of them don't come from Breitbart, Trump/Milo sympathising types.
    Milo's new book "Dangerous" is great. I'll do a review for PB when I get some time.
    Highly recommended.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

Think it's difficult to tell how the midterms will go. Even if Obamacare had been repealed, I still think progress for the Democrats would have been hard. Trump's voters are essentially like a cult, much like Corbyn's supporters are. They are unlikely to ever hold him accountable for anything. A lot of the time they appear to be living in an alternative reality - e.g. 50% of them believe that Trump won the popular vote.

This may be true of his core, but there are a lot of Republicans out there - probably close to half his presidential vote - who didn't like him but held their noses and voted for him because he was the Republican nominee and because they disliked Hillary even more. If they stay home and a few of them flip then House Republicans are going to have a bad day.

The Senate's a bit trickier because there are only 2 obvious Dem pickup opportunities, compared to lots of Dems defending states that Trump won by seriously big margins.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited July 2017
    I see the German authorities are at the ridiculous limbo dancing again. Yesterday it was talking about it being a robbery then possibly a "hate" attack and deliberately being vague about the type of weapon used despite members of the public giving their accounts to the news media making it crystal clear what went on ie not a bloke with a small knife trying to hold up a supermarket for cash. Now,

"He was known as an Islamist but not a jihadist," police spokesman Andy Grote said, noting that the suspect also suffered from "psychological" issues.

They also said they will never deport him because he has no id papers despite them knowing where he comes come.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, honestly, I'm away for an hour and come back only to hear such cruelty!

Mr. Ace, this is a betting website, you silly sausage.
  • Options

I think that the proposed nucleoside treatment has never been used for the condition in a human, or even an animal model of the disease. No physician believes that it would reverse the major brain damage, not even the American professor who proposed it. He never examined the child, nor even read the casenotes, or reviewed the brain imaging. This is not a treatment effective for the condition that Charlie had.

There is a significant chance of a further baby being affected, as this is a mitochondrial disease mutation. Testing on an animal model in order to prepare for treatment from birth for the next child, before the disease advances to the terminal phase, might be a reasonable next approach.

Mitochondrial DNA mutations do lend themselves to another approach, as the DNA is not in the nucleus. That would be to use an embryo with three parents, a maternal ova, paternal sperm and the mitochondria from an egg donor. There is some interest in this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18393682

Thanks, this is most informative. Obviously the fact it "is not a treatment effective for the condition" is why it was denied. I was really wondering in what situation the ethics people might go with "he's a goner anyway, but can we learn anything useful from him for future patients, even if it has no benefit to him?" which is what a pure utilitarian might go with. (I am not a big fan of pure utilitarianism.)
    The legal duty of both professionals and parents is to act in the interest of the particular child, not to advance the cause of science. When this is not agreed then the courts get involved. I am less familiar with the rules in other countries, such as America, but believe the principle is the same.

Cost rightly did not come into this legal case, but perhaps should at least get passing mention, A level 3 Paediatric Intensive care bed costs about £2000 per day, so in the six months of this case, about £350 000. There is also the opportunity cost. Paeds intensive care beds are scarce, so while this one was not in use, other children were not treated. Those who watched the excellent #Hospital series recently from St Mary's on BBC2 will recall the dilemmas over which surgery to cancel when an ICU bed was not available. Only GOSH would know of these cases. These are the dilemmas of medical management.

• Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that's pathetic from the German authorities. And yet, entirely predictable.

Anyway, I must be off. Qualifying could be rather tasty.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

isam said:

But not of future PMs it seems. Ten Oxford educated PMs since the last Cambridge one (Baldwin).
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Think it's difficult to tell how the midterms will go. Even if Obamacare had been repealed, I still think progress for the Democrats would have been hard. Trump's voters are essentially like a cult, much like Corbyn's supporters are. They are unlikely to ever hold him accountable for anything. A lot of the time they appear to be living in an alternative reality - e.g. 50% of them believe that Trump won the popular vote.

This may be true of his core, but there are a lot of Republicans out there - probably close to half his presidential vote - who didn't like him but held their noses and voted for him because he was the Republican nominee and because they disliked Hillary even more. If they stay home and a few of them flip then House Republicans are going to have a bad day.

The Senate's a bit trickier because there are only 2 obvious Dem pickup opportunities, compared to lots of Dems defending states that Trump won by seriously big margins.
    I'm doubtful that it's as much as half his presidential vote having those kind of doubts/misgivings about him. He's getting an very high approval from Republican voters right now - although the last I recall seeing his overall approval ratings they had dipped in some cases to sub 40, so it may have gone down a bit with them. But it seems like 80%+ republicans approve of the job he is doing right now. The reason why his approvals are so low is because so many Dems give him a negative approval rating.

I feel the Democrats need to win the Senate more than they do the House - but I agree that it's going to be very difficult for them. If they do manage to do well it's likely to only be in the House.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    I see potential home office minister diane has been defending rioters who attacked the police.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

On topic

Agreed - I am completely baffled why they don't ditch him now; they could have Pence delivering a strong right-wing GOP programme.

Perversely therefore, maybe the Dems should make a lot of noise but take little action and keep an ineffective Trump in office until 2020.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I see potential home office minister diane has been defending rioters who attacked the police.

A friend of mine is a Corbynite leftie who lives in Dalston... "not legitimate protestors, feral troublemakers armed w cans of petrol attacking police officers at will" was his take
  • Options
    isam said:

A friend of mine is a Corbynite leftie who lives in Dalston... "not legitimate protestors, feral troublemakers armed w cans of petrol attacking police officers at will" was his take
    He might be right. There are undoubtedly rentacrowd troublemakers out there.

I was surprised, and relieved, that things didn't escalate seriously after Grenfell tbh... a genuine grievance, hot weather, SWP stirring it up, rentamob still around, post election frustrations felt by some, etc.

Thankfully it was all kept under (relative) control. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't due some excellent policing behind the scenes, in which case - well done the Met!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852

Re. North Korea.

Good post. A couple of additions to it. China has a generally good relationship with South Korea, not least because both are wary/dismissive of Japan. China would have no problem at all with the whole peninsula run from Soeul. China is very conscious of being next to a powder keg when they have limited influence to prevent it going off. The nightmare scenario for them is North Korea implodes and the Americans step into the chaos. They will tolerate the status quo to avoid that.

(Most Chinese think North Korea is a joke. Mention Korea and they will say "Comrade!" and then laugh. That once popular salutation is now used exclusively on the gay community).
  • Options

On topic

Agreed - I am completely baffled why they don't ditch him now; they could have Pence delivering a strong right-wing GOP programme.

Perversely therefore, maybe the Dems should make a lot of noise but take little action and keep an ineffective Trump in office until 2020.
    I think this underestinates Americans' attachment to the office - removing the President is not at all like removing a British party leader. The closest parallel is the storm over the King in the 1930s marriyng Mrs Simpson. Lots of people felt he was behaving disreputably, but it took tremendous upheaval before he was finally pushed out - and even then it was voluntary.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

It is easy for a white person to deny the institutional racism that I have seen. This fellow does seem to have been a little provocative in his tweet, but twitter does not leave much potential for nuance!

This is a perhaps more in depth discussion on the subject:

https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/publications/cjm/article/extent-conflict-between-being-black-and-being-british-cautionary-tale

Dr Aggrey Burke was one of the finest and inspiring of my teachers. As a white middle class youngster, he took me through the experience of racism experienced by his patients in South London. It was an eyeopener in how racism had impacted on their lives, and on their psychopathology. I think things have improved over the years since, but the fundamental point is unchanged. We can only overcome and mitigate for our predjudices by acknowledging criticism of them as valid. He was a little confrontational in style, but by confronting me with my predudices he changed my world view for the better.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

Think it's difficult to tell how the midterms will go. Even if Obamacare had been repealed, I still think progress for the Democrats would have been hard. Trump's voters are essentially like a cult, much like Corbyn's supporters are. They are unlikely to ever hold him accountable for anything. A lot of the time they appear to be living in an alternative reality - e.g. 50% of them believe that Trump won the popular vote. It's hard to engage with a set voters who seem to be living in an alternate reality.

As for the GOP and their support, I think one of the reasons why they wanted to repeal Obamacare so badly was because of their base. It appears that they thought that would really motivate their base to come out in the midterms.

I agree that Trump may well win again in 2020, and it's a crying shame for America. The ironic thing about those in their twitter bios and in Trump rallies proclaiming 'MAGA' is that Trump is doing anything but making America great again. Indeed, it looks as though it's becoming increasingly difficult for the Republicans to pass any major legislation and they have the house, the senate and the White House right now. Perhaps, they have made their coalition too big - certainly, it seems to have made coming to an overall agreement.

The GOP's coalition is narrow not wide. White people without college degrees mainly in rural and small town america,this is more than 40% of the electorate so it is a large base if not diverse.

It is precisely because these people will be hurt the most that it is hard for them to come up with a replacement for healthcare, the base hated Obamacare but liked the Affordable Care Act ( same thing). It is no surprise McCain says he will vote against the bill in it's current form, Arizona is a medicaid expansion state.

• Options

I'm doubtful that it's as much as half his presidential vote having those kind of doubts/misgivings about him. He's getting an very high approval from Republican voters right now - although the last I recall seeing his overall approval ratings they had dipped in some cases to sub 40, so it may have gone down a bit with them. But it seems like 80%+ republicans approve of the job he is doing right now. The reason why his approvals are so low is because so many Dems give him a negative approval rating.

I feel the Democrats need to win the Senate more than they do the House - but I agree that it's going to be very difficult for them. If they do manage to do well it's likely to only be in the House.

Current rate is just over 40, and stable:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/trump_favorableunfavorable-5493.html
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

It is easy for a white person to deny the institutional racism that I have seen. This fellow does seem to have been a little provocative in his tweet, but twitter does not leave much potential for nuance!

https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/publications/cjm/article/extent-conflict-between-being-black-and-being-british-cautionary-tale

Dr Aggrey Burke was one of the finest and inspiring of my teachers. As a white middle class youngster, he took me through the experience of racism experienced by his patients in South London. It was an eyeopener in how racism had impacted on their lives, and on their psychopathology. I think things have improved over the years since, but the fundamental point is unchanged. We can only overcome and mitigate for our predjudices by acknowledging criticism of them as valid. He was a little confrontational in style, but by confronting me with my predudices he changed my world view for the better.
    Wind your neck in you excuse making racist!
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

His tweet wasn't "a little provocative" ffs.. If it'd been written by a white British man the police would have already paid a visit.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

That's not uncommon where the patient can be consulted - when I worked for pharma, I was impressed at the frequent reports of terminally ill patients consenting to treatment that was very unlikely to help them, so as to help others.

I suppose consent might be given on a baby's behalf if it was felt the treatment was neutral and the baby was not suffering in other ways - not the case here.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

The legal duty of both professionals and parents is to act in the interest of the particular child, not to advance the cause of science. When this is not agreed then the courts get involved. I am less familiar with the rules in other countries, such as America, but believe the principle is the same.

This is as I feel it should be, but doesn't strike me as the only coherent or defensible position. I know if I had a grisly terminal condition, I'd be all up for letting medical researchers do whatever they wanted to me - even if it were actively harmful, I'd be past the point of caring, provided there was a genuine shot at deepening understanding in a way that may help others later. There's something very redemptively attractive about finding a kind of meaning and purpose to a random and unpleasant death.

The utilitarian position may be that "the greater good" justifies - even morally obligates - experimentation with no personal benefit on those whose life has wound to the end of the course, but it is the obligatory character that I object to. Someone who goes down that route may be regarded as virtuous but is surely going beyond the call of moral duty. With a child who cannot make that decision for themselves, issues of consent are murkier.

Edit: Thanks to NickP for his very similar and near-simultaneous post.
  • Options

Donald Trump does not have particularly good approval ratings from Republicans. In last weeks Reuters poll, 73.9% of Republicans approved, against disapproval of 23%. That's really not a good result.

If you look at Bush Sr (http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx), you see his net approval from Republicans got down to +50 on only one occasion in four years. That's the level Trump is at right now. Of course, Trump may recover, but right now it doesn't look that good for him.
  • Options

On topic

I think this underestinates Americans' attachment to the office - removing the President is not at all like removing a British party leader. The closest parallel is the storm over the King in the 1930s marriyng Mrs Simpson. Lots of people felt he was behaving disreputably, but it took tremendous upheaval before he was finally pushed out - and even then it was voluntary.
    Fair point Nick, but the US does have a constitutional route to remove a president. I am not an expert (far from it) but I am not sure there is any constitutional way to force a British monarch out; they have to abdicate.
  • Options

On topic

Fair point Nick, but the US does have a constitutional route to remove a president. I am not an expert (far from it) but I am not sure there is any constitutional way to force a British monarch out; they have to abdicate.
    Edit: I have just remembered Charles I - doh!
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk I agree with all of what you've said :) It's probably one of the more difficult debates to have on PB, as well as generally. Will give that link a read - my mum and on occasion my grandparents have discussed with me their own experiences of racism.

OT, but have you seen Matthew Paris' article in The Times today? It's great.

@NickPalmer Thanks. If I wasn't clear in my previous post the 'overall' bit was a reference to individual polls I'd seen with his 'overall' rating from all political groups. Was trying to distinguish between his overall rating from both Dems/Republicans/Independents and his approval from just Republicans. But looking at that link it does seem he stopped getting sub 40 scores in polls fairly recently.

@rcs1000 Ah, interesting. I followed his poll ratings quite a bit up until late last month, and at that time he was still 80%+ with Republicans, like in this poll https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/23/politics/trump-approval-nbc-wsj-poll/index.html it seems like on the last month his approval among Republicans has declined especially.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,184
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

...The bet is on the process proceeding to a full and successful conclusion, not simply the attempt being made. That remains a long shot, particularly within any particular calendar year....

PP quote " He will be deemed to be impeached when the House of Representatives pass a vote for impeachment".
    This is why I'm not touching "impeachment" bets with a bargepole. The word "impeachment" means something like "trial" or "investigation", not "verdict" nor "conviction". Clinton was impeached but not convicted and served two full terms.

Although PB takes time to laud the alt-right ad nauseam, it rarely discusses minutae like the conditions under which a bet would be settled, and in this case it's pretty important.

• Options
    nunuone said:

I agree that Trump may well win again in 2020, and it's a crying shame for America. The ironic thing about those in their twitter bios and in Trump rallies proclaiming 'MAGA' is that Trump is doing anything but making America great again. Indeed, it looks as though it's becoming increasingly difficult for the Republicans to pass any major legislation and they have the house, the senate and the White House right now. Perhaps, they have made their coalition too big - certainly, it seems to have made coming to an overall agreement.

The GOP's coalition is narrow not wide. White people without college degrees mainly in rural and small town america,this is more than 40% of the electorate so it is a large base if not diverse.

It is precisely because these people will be hurt the most that it is hard for them to come up with a replacement for healthcare, the base hated Obamacare but liked the Affordable Care Act ( same thing). It is no surprise McCain says he will vote against the bill in it's current form, Arizona is a medicaid expansion state.

Re the coalition, it was more in regard to views that I was referring to than demographics. The GOP coalition now includes moderate Republicans like Susan Collins as well as very, very right wing types like Ted Cruz. That's a pretty wide coalition of views in Congress and it's difficult to see how such groups coming from such different places can agree to one plan on healthcare etc.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

...The bet is on the process proceeding to a full and successful conclusion, not simply the attempt being made. That remains a long shot, particularly within any particular calendar year....

PP quote " He will be deemed to be impeached when the House of Representatives pass a vote for impeachment".
    This is why I'm not touching "impeachment" bets with a bargepole. The word "impeachment" means something like "trial" or "investigation", not "verdict" nor "conviction". Clinton was impeached but not convicted and served two full terms.

Although PB takes time to laud the alt-right ad nauseam, it rarely discusses minutae like the conditions under which a bet would be settled, and in this case it's pretty important.

If I have understood correctly, the House passing a vote for Impeachment satisfies the bet.

The next stage is the Senate try him and it needs a 2/3 Senate majority to find him guilty, but that part is not required to satisfy the bet. (Clinton was impeached by the House but acquitted by the Sentate iirc).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,184
    edited July 2017

viewcode said:

If I have understood correctly, the House passing a vote for Impeachment satisfies the bet.

The next stage is the Senate try him and it needs a 2/3 Senate majority to find him guilty, but that part is not required to satisfy the bet. (Clinton was impeached by the House but acquitted by the Sentate iirc).
    Thank you.

• Options
    isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Foxy is right though Isam. It was an intelligent, well-reasoned post, not sure what your issue is tbh.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Nice qualifying result. Mildly surprised Red Bull didn't do a little better.
  • Options

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Foxy is right though Isam. It was an intelligent, well-reasoned post, not sure what your issue is tbh.
    You're one of them!! :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JK Rowling has properly mugged herself over Trump and the disabled child. Why don't these people check their facts before making wild accusations?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Proud to be!
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Proud to be!
    Soon they'll ban us from commenting on each other's posts! :wink:
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

From a purely party-political point of view, which is how most PB Tories seem to think, you are no doubt right.

However, from the point of view of the average American elector, let alone the rest of the world, it would be helpful if they started think more long-term.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Proud to be!
    Soon they'll ban us from commenting on each other's posts! :wink:
    That would cut the traffic somewhat, if we were only allowed to comment on the thread header. :smile:
  • Options
    PClipp said:

From a purely party-political point of view, which is how most PB Tories seem to think, you are no doubt right.

However, from the point of view of the average American elector, let alone the rest of the world, it would be helpful if they started think more long-term.

I do hope you're not accusing me of being a PB Tory - abuse I can take, but that would be another level altogether!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

Dr Aggrey Burke was one of the finest and inspiring of my teachers.
    One thing that Dr Burke taught me was to be less uncomfortable with being called a racist. Too often (and generally by the left) this is used as a way of shutting down discussion rather than opening it up. It is why I don't think that it is a useful way of conducting debate on PB.

Dr Burke is a West Indian Psychiatrist (He is originally Jamaican) he was very unusual in London, despite there being an over representation of British afro-caribeans in psychiatric care. On my first day I presented a case history that I had taken of a youngster who was referred in following a significant incident. He listened to my analysis, including a detailed history of childhood, sexual issues, police issues etc. Psychiatric examination is very intimate and detailed. Dr Burke asked me "what experience of racism has he had?". I replied "I didn't ask that". He continued "Don't you think that it might be relevant to his condition?". I sheepishly nodded.

Following on from that, I routinely asked about the experience of racism (amongst other things including child sex abuse - psychiatry is not easy for the easily embarrassed!). Despite having lived in South London for years, and even flatsharing with a West Indian bloke, I learned a great deal. There is none so blind as the willfully blind,

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,110
    edited July 2017

That would cut the traffic somewhat, if we were only allowed to comment on the thread header. :smile:

Perish the thought.

Sheer difficulty of managing it without extensive political bloodletting which they would have no guarantee of coming out on top of, I imagine, plus people will always look for another way out.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Is that despite Brexit or because of Brexit?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think PB is, collectively, so laudatory of the alt-right as this post suggests. Moreover I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread where impeachment bets were discussed (and there've been a few of them), without someone chiming in to talk about the conditions under which it was settled. (Though sometimes the point is raised surprisingly late in the discussion!)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

One thing that Dr Burke

Dr Burke is a West Indian Psychiatrist (He is originally Jamaican) he was very unusual in London, despite there being an over representation of British afro-caribeans in psychiatric care. On my first day I presented a case history that I had taken of a youngster who was referred in following a significant incident. He listened to my analysis, including a detailed history of childhood, sexual issues, police issues etc. Psychiatric examination is very intimate and detailed. Dr Burke asked me "what experience of racism has he had?". I replied "I didn't ask that". He continued "Don't you think that it might be relevant to his condition?". I sheepishly nodded.

Following on from that, I routinely asked about the experience of racism (amongst other things including child sex abuse - psychiatry is not easy for the easily embarrassed!). Despite having lived in South London for years, and even flatsharing with a West Indian bloke, I learned a great deal. There is none so blind as the willfully blind,

If one is accused of being a racist, both the accuser and the accused usually take it as an accusation that one is an evil person, rather than an accusation that one is being unconsciously biased. That's why so many people resent the accusation.
  • Options

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

The

One thing that Dr Burke taught me was to be less uncomfortable with being called a racist. Too often (and generally by the left) this is used as a way of shutting down discussion rather than opening it up. It is why I don't think that it is a useful way of conducting debate on PB.

All white people are racist. Non whites obviously treat all folk the same
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Donald Trump does not have particularly good approval ratings from Republicans. In last weeks Reuters poll, 73.9% of Republicans approved, against disapproval of 23%. That's really not a good result.

If you look at Bush Sr (http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx), you see his net approval from Republicans got down to +50 on only one occasion in four years. That's the level Trump is at right now. Of course, Trump may recover, but right now it doesn't look that good for him.
    There is also the attrition effect. As American pollsters base party affiliation on self reported rather than previous vote, as trump gets more unpopular less people identify as Republican which means Trump's popularity amongst Republicans stays steady (or even improves).
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

The

I believe we are all racist regardless of colour, its how you deal with them that matters. It is quite normal to be apprehensive of people who are different until you unferstand those differences.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

The

Dr Burke is a West

I would disagree. While I think all white people are racist to a greater or lesser degree, I would say that the same applies to all other ethnic groups. The harm that it does does vary though, depending on the power relationships that the racism is experienced via. I would say the white girls of Rotherham were victims of racism too, but experienced differently because of the different context.

I would suggest that the WWC experience of "reversed racism" differs from my own, for similar reasons. I am a wealthy professional, so am in a protected position relative to a blue collar worker. Race and class are intertwined as issues, but do feed off each other.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    edited July 2017
    Looks like my day at the test has had a premature end :-(
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

For any others wondering what an SJW is:

"Social justice warrior" (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual promoting socially progressive views,[1] including feminism,[1][2] civil rights,[1] multiculturalism,[1] and identity politics.[3] The accusation of being an SJW carries implications of pursuing personal validation rather than any deep-seated conviction,[4] and being engaged in disingenuous social justice arguments or activism to raise personal reputation, also known as virtue signalling.[5]
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

isam said:

The

Dr Burke is a West

I would disagree. While I think all white people are racist to a greater or lesser degree, I would say that the same applies to all other ethnic groups. The harm that it does does vary though, depending on the power relationships that the racism is experienced via. I would say the white girls of Rotherham were victims of racism too, but experienced differently because of the different context.

I would suggest that the WWC experience of "reversed racism" differs from my own, for similar reasons. I am a wealthy professional, so am in a protected position relative to a blue collar worker. Race and class are intertwined as issues, but do feed off each other.
    Mistaking class prejudice for racism is a mistake that plenty of do gooders have made
This discussion has been closed.