Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If CON, LAB, and the SNP each got 30% of the Scottish vote Stu

2»

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Capita taking the piss;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/26/capita-criticised-over-free-of-charge-graduate-training-scheme

The tories don't care. They really don't. State sponsored exploitation is just fine. It's designed into the system.

So long as their client vote is insulated in a life mostly unburdened by taxes, have their benefits uprated and can buy their kids onto the property ladder, they don't care.

Just close your eyes, go to conference and clap.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    You are right. I don't get it.

Labour are campaigning for people to get free training (e.g. at University) for which they don't get paid - and you all think this is fantastic, even though there is no possible job at the end of it.

A company offer free training with a strong possibility of a job and they are evil?

Let me ask you - even if this was paid training:

- Can Capita insist that the trainee takes the job offered - NO.
    - Can Capita recoup the costs of the training if the trainee refuses the job or resigns very quickly - NO.

My eyes are open. This is a great scheme and if I were a graduate I would be delighted to do relevant training that might actually get me a job after three years of learning nothing much useful at University. There is no suggestion that the trainees are working for nothing, they are being trained.

In case you had not noticed, employers are declining to train employees for the very simple reason that they cannot get the value back when employees are free to leave at any time which they often do. It probably explains the UKs poor productivity levels. This scheme seems a very sensible reaction to that - ask for some commitment from the employee before giving them free skills that they are free to use elsewhere.
    Pong said:

Capita taking the piss;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/26/capita-criticised-over-free-of-charge-graduate-training-scheme

The tories don't care. They really don't. State sponsored exploitation is just fine. It's designed into the system.

So long as their client vote is insulated in a life mostly unburdened by taxes, have their benefits uprated and can buy their kids onto the property ladder, they don't care.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Pong said:

Capita taking the piss;

Is client vote your new catchphrase or something?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

I like how it its price in euros varies so widely between different EU countries. Single currency, single market, several prices.

Lots of things are cheaper in Newcastle than in London. Single currency, single market, different prices.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited July 2017

Jonathan said:

The association of Dunkirk with Brexit is in bad taste and misses the point that soon after we were back in Europe.

What a film!

You enjoyed it?

I loved it.
    I'm going to see it this weekend.
    Saw it last night - absolutely staggering, numbing. Highly recommended film.

And Jonathan's right, any attempt to associate it with Breixt, whether with a leaver or remainer spin, is totally tasteless and completely undervalues those who were caught up in the events of 1940.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

The dollar is falling through the floor.

It's moved less than a cent - and it's giving back some of it already.
    The YTD return is -8.5%

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/DXY:CUR
    Exactly a year ago, the Pound was $1.31.

Today, it's....

Wait for it!

$1.31! :)
    LOL. You are now comparing the USD with GBP, the sickest currency which itself has dropped about 15% in the last year.
    Okay, so a Euro was $1.12 a year ago, is now $1.16, so only a 3.5% change there too.
    A Pound was €1.18 a year ago, and is now €1.10. Still not seeing 15% anywhere.
    Rewriting history, are we ?

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/best-exchange-rates/british-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-on-2016-06-23
    Nope, you're choosing a deliberately arbitrary date from more than a year ago, while I'm taking the YOY figures from XE :)
    23rd June 16 was the referendum day, so surely the best baseline?

I note that GDP grew 0.1% Q1 and 0. 3% Q2. Presumably we willhave a major spurt to reach the 1.6% predicted for the year?
    The economy has grown by 1.6% over the past year. Nothing to brag about, but nothing to despair over.
    Most of this growth took place last year! Recession coming up.

This discussion has been closed.