Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson says Ed needs to add grit and a touch of gla

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,770
    edited August 2013

"With growing question marks over Jim Murphy’s loyalty to Ed Miliband... "
    Ho ho. Considering that SLab is the only functioning part of the Better Together campaign, and that Jim Murphy is one of the very, very few functioning parts of SLab, there is something that Ed Miliband just *cannot* afford to do, and that is sack Jim Murphy.

Well, not in 2013, but come October 2014... ?

maybe not as critical as you say, the Yes campaign isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. If they're all crap it's just a matter of how much.
    I would love for the No side to keep thinking like that. Unfortunately, I don't think that Darling is that complacent, but Ed Miliband just might be.

looking at it from the outside Stuart the whole campaign to date has been a pretty miserable affair, neither side has grabbed the imagination nor landed any killer blows. Both sides seem to be using the same Ad agency Dismal Dire and Dreich.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Dr. Spyn, that sounds like good news. He should be buried in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154
    carl said:

carl said:

Neil said:

There's 0% chance of a majority Labour government anyway so he's going to have to accommodate Lib Dems in the cabinet.

Incorrect. I've run my sophisticated Bognor Regis simulation 17 billion times, and it puts the probability of a Labour majority at 210%.

So Ed needs one traditional shadow cabinet, and another located elsewhere in the quantum multiverse. Either that, or he needs to employ some premiership footballers.

The model might need tweaking closer to the election, but it shows a clear direction of travel.
    That's slightly facile - Monte Carlo methods are a well known and accepted set of statistical devices. Rod was fairly clear yesterday about the limitations of the approach, especially this far out from an election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method

Say what you like about their limitations, but I seriously doubt he has just plucked the figures out of thin air. (And no, I don't think the 0% is accurate either at this stage of the electoral cycle).

Having said that, I am a great cynic when it comes to modelling such complex systems. It is all too easy for a model to be right by accident than by being a proper model. (Think of 'Paul the Octopus' getting predictions correct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus
    I knoooow.

Moving on, more generally, I completely agree with your last point, particularly when it comes to social "science", whether economics or politics. The behaviour of people and societies is simply too complex to reduce to a very limited set of inputs and statistical modelling techniques.

Put it this way, I bet a straw poll of the less partisan, more engaged PBers 3 months from the election will outperform any statistical model in accurately predicting seat totals.
    I actually doubt that - there are not enough of us to make a good guess. (Actually, that may be provable to a degree. A competition was held on here to predict the US election winner. We know who won that competition, but it would be interesting to see a statistical analysis of how right we were as a crowd.).
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    JohnO said:

@tim - Balls to Health. Please let it be. True, he's useless as Shadow Chancellor, but he'd be even worse there, ranting and raving but still curiously inarticulate. Nice, gentle, caring Dr. Hunt with the emolient bed-side manner wouldn't belive his luck.

Yeah, you wouldn't want Balls putting a catheter in, would you?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2013
    I agree with Alanbrooke. The referendum campaign so far has looked less interesting than a by-election campaign for an unopposed ward in Gwynedd.
  • Options

looking at it from the outside Stuart the whole campaign to date has been a pretty miserable affair.

That's unfair, it's been hilarious.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited August 2013

JohnO said:

@tim - Balls to Health. Please let it be. True, he's useless as Shadow Chancellor, but he'd be even worse there, ranting and raving but still curiously inarticulate. Nice, gentle, caring Dr. Hunt with the emolient bed-side manner wouldn't belive his luck.

Yeah, you wouldn't want Balls putting a catheter in, would you?
    By implication that means you would like Mr Hunt to do it. Euugh. Mental bleach.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are niche websites for those of you that wish to fantasise about having catheters put in by well-known public figures.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

looking at it from the outside Stuart the whole campaign to date has been a pretty miserable affair.

That's unfair, it's been hilarious.
    Its been no AV campaign I give you that.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Richard III story here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23726011

Reminds me of Billy Connolly's tale of burying Robin Hood.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @tim - You should ALWAYS listen to Uncle John who as your pb carer has only your best interests at heart. When he was appointed, I did try and explain to you this was a rather sensible move (for both NHS and the Tories) and so it has proved. Naturally assisted by that strange Cambridge educated Andy Burnham still in situ, but that's more your problem than mine.

Dunno, and it's still a looming issue for us local govt/HB administering bods, but the slower and more gradual the introduction the decreased risk of it all going pear-shaped. So if the pilots are taking more time, then I ain't complaining.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, it appears that the restrictions on Romanian and Bulgarian migrants might not be the decisive consideration for them deciding to come here:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2d4e9da4-058a-11e3-ad01-00144feab7de.html#axzz2c77z5rXm
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    How to tell Labour doesn't have many media faces right now

Labour Press Team @labourpress
    WATCH: @hilarybennmp is on @BBCNews now
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    @JosiasJessop

That's why I'm fascinated by the wisdom index.

You are asking thousands of people to, effectively, run an extremely sophisticated election "simulation", which inevitably takes into account many variables, some quantifiable like polling, some less quantifiable but still vital - say, the "mood" of the electorate towards local issues in certain parts of the country, the way candidates might "come across" in debates, the impact of tactical voting.

Then you add them all together to filter out "noise" like partisanship, wishful thinking, stick-any-old-number-in-I'm-not-arsed ness.
  • Options
    Plato said:

How to tell Labour doesn't have many media faces right now

Labour Press Team @labourpress
    WATCH: @hilarybennmp is on @BBCNews now

eh?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @Moniker

It would be fascinating to know what "threats" Willie Rennie thinks Scotland would be exposed to if it wasnt in NATO. An invasion by the Faroes maybe?
  • Options
    @tim - Where did you get that info - second point - on Universal Credit? Is there a link?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    I always think "reshuffle's" make surprisingly little difference and in many respects can cause problems.

If a party is on the up it's on the up, if it's on the slide it's on the slide. Moving the deckchairs about is neither here nor' there.

Interesting that Tim has told us he wants Balls moved - Is this an admission that Balls has lost (and Osborne has won) the economic arguement? As this is how is surely how it would be interpreted by the public and the media?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    edited August 2013
    Amusing from Mark Steel:

"Poor Ed Miliband, he couldn’t even come out decisively against an egg being chucked at his head. He looked as if his mind had become so addled from his strategy of refusing to say he’ll reverse what his opponents are doing that he’d say that now the egg was in his hair there’s no point in washing it out. Then he’d issue a statement saying that “the real issue is that up and down the country what hard-working chickens are asking is why our economy continues to fail our shells”.

The Conservatives have noticed this attitude from Labour, which may be one reason they’ve grown more confident lately. At the moment they can announce whatever cuts they like, then dare Ed Miliband to say he’d reverse them, which he never does. George Osborne could lean across to him all day long, tasering the Shadow Cabinet, and Ed Balls would appear on Channel 4 News to say: “We will make clear proposals concerning these measures, as soon as we have fully costed them, but until then we’ll continue to wriggle on the floor screaming and will not be pressured into hasty announcements.”

When the Home Office sent vans around London, covered in messages about illegal immigration, Labour responded by saying nothing. Maybe this is a result of the Shadow Cabinet converting to a branch of Buddhism that preaches, “Treat the venom of the Tory with silence, for his hostile energy will then turn against he who delivered it, exploding his van like a million petals, sending you many per cent up in the polls.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/mark-steel-is-ed-milibands-labour-party-prepared-to-do-or-say-anything-at-all-8763544.html
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    antifrank said:

There are niche websites for those of you that wish to fantasise about having catheters put in by well-known public figures.

Link please.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Amusing from Mark Steel:

Hehe Mark Steel is a gem. I loved last week's on the racist UKIP bloke..

His language wasn’t in any way insulting, he kept repeating, because “as far as I know there’s no such place as Bongo-Bongo Land”. It may be that he’s missed the point, as most of us were aware he’d made it up. Similarly, if he’d given a speech about how we’re giving too much money to the disabled, saying, “We’re giving millions of pounds a month to Mrs Cripplespaz,” it might not help him if he assured us: “No one could be upset as there’s no such person as Mrs Cripplespaz.”

Or maybe he’s right, in which case he wouldn’t mind if everyone referred to Ukip as a variety of made-up names. On the news Fiona Bruce could say, “It was claimed today that immigration levels are destroying our culture, in a statement by a Buffoon-Packed Smeary Arsewipe Party.” The Times could publish headlines such as “New European Treaty Sure to Be Opposed by Smug Ponced-up Doolally Knobface Party”, and Godfrey Bloom would have no complaints, because the names were all made up.

But the strongest part of Godfrey Bloom’s defence was that his views were those “of the common man”, in particular those held “in the cricket club”. So I suggest he tries talking about Bongo-Bongo Land in a variety of cricket clubs, starting with a team of West Indies veterans, including Curtly Ambrose, Viv Richards and Joel Garner. If you’re not familiar, look them up on Google Images, and I think you’ll agree that should settle it.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Labour High Command have not one idea of what "Working Class" actually means..to most of them it is someone with a Northern accent..
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading yesterday's ding-dong between Tim and RodCrosby.

A job to know who's side to take. A bit like when Iraq and Iran fell out... Probably best to stay neutral. :^O
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916
    Henry. You missed the excellent Ian Murray.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    "Labour High Command have not one idea of what "Working Class" actually means..to most of them it is someone with a Northern accent..."

I don;t think labour high command is alone. When there was mass industry in Britain, we knew what working class was. Now there isn't the whole concept is much more difficult to pin down.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    "A record number of students are heading to university this year, with 401,540 already accepted, Ucas says"
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leaving us all guessing who the mysterious Edinburgh MP you had dinner with last night was...
  • Options
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Roger said:

Good call - Ian Murray MP is of the 2010 intake of new MPs, he’s still relatively young at 36 and his Wiki entry even states he had real life working experience before entering politics. – So which shadow post do you envisage him taking over ?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

A client of yours or you were told by a friend?
  • Options
    Polly's started resorting to "keep your pecker up it'll be alright on the night" columns...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/16/labour-demons-miliband-tories-nastiness

Six month's until The Lady In The Villa decree's that Comrade Miliband be thrown over-board, I guarantee it. ;)
  • Options

So which shadow post do you envisage him taking over ?

Shadow minister for wining and dining?
  • Options
    You can laugh with Mark Steel even when disagreeing with his stance.
  • Options
    Hopi Sen @hopisen
    RT @PopulusPolls: Most noticed news stories this week. pic.twitter.com/rctbow82qr > top news stories in UK: Egypt, followed by "what news?"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    GIN1138 said:

Polly's started resorting to "keep your pecker up it'll be alright on the night" columns...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/16/labour-demons-miliband-tories-nastiness

Six month's until The Lady In The Villa decree's that Comrade Miliband be thrown over-board, I guarantee it. ;)

Don’t be daft – No matter how bad things get for Eg, Polly will say put a peg on your nose and support him – just as she did with Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Just reading that it struck me what happens Ed if he isn't PM ? he'll be 45, hit his peak and will politically then be on the scrapheap but with 25-30 working years ahead of him. its one of the side effects of putting young inexperienced politicos into key roles too early.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Heartening news: the girls attacked with acid in Zanzibar have both won places at university according to The Times, at Bristol and Nottingham.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Taffy's.. The Conservatives and L/D's have no idea about what "Working Class " means but at least they dont claim to be members.... unlike most of the Opposition
  • Options

I agree with Alanbrooke. The referendum campaign so far has looked less interesting than a by-election campaign for an unopposed ward in Gwynedd.

Lol.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

"With growing question marks over Jim Murphy’s loyalty to Ed Miliband... "
    Ho ho. Considering that SLab is the only functioning part of the Better Together campaign, and that Jim Murphy is one of the very, very few functioning parts of SLab, there is something that Ed Miliband just *cannot* afford to do, and that is sack Jim Murphy.

Well, not in 2013, but come October 2014... ?

You mean Murphy isn't quite as obvious about it as wee Dougie I presume. Murphy is about as 'loyal' to little Ed as he's ever been which isn't saying much but hasn't stopped him being Shadow Def Sec until now. What's changed? In a word, Falkirk.

Well, if the Falkirk affair results in Ed Miliband sacking Jim Murphy, then the investigative journalism of the Glasgow Herald (which broke the story long before the London press cottoned on) might just end up being a contributing factor in the dissolution of the Union. Who'd've thunk it?

If he does go it's a bit of a stretch for it to be over anything other than that though doubtless some excuse would be used. Amusingly wee Dougie is also more than a touch involved in the fun and games over Falkirk and other places, yet the talk was of him replacing Tom Watson. This would be the same Tom Watson who left over Falkirk.

Good to see Lamont stamping her authority all over scottish labour as usual though. ;)

Lucky for Johann that CVs are excluded from the ASA's code of conduct, and therefore do not need to be "legal, decent, honest and truthful". Otherwise it would not be possible for her to refer to herself as the "Leader of the Scottish Labour Party" (sic).

• Options
    Neil said:

So which shadow post do you envisage him taking over ?

Shadow minister for wining and dining?
    Consider your post 'liked' Sir. :-)
  • Options
    Anyone who believes headlines in the Record has their brain nodules in tatters.

Policy is to stay/reapply to NATO as a non-nuclear country as Spain did as a precedent in 1982.
    Policy is to leave NATO if they cannot accept Trident leaving Scotland.

I would suggest that policy is agreed by the majority of Scots, let alone SNP supporters.

• Options
    Just had a glance at the comments under Tweet like a Righty and my the humour bypass is even worse than I expected.

Grumpy Humpy Land.
  • Options

Roger said:

Good call - Ian Murray MP is of the 2010 intake of new MPs, he’s still relatively young at 36 and his Wiki entry even states he had real life working experience before entering politics. – So which shadow post do you envisage him taking over ?
    In the interests of disclosure, you do know that Ian Murray MP is Roger's cousin (or some type of relative anyway).
  • Options
    Has anyone been arrested yet for libellous tweeting re. the Hairy Monster?
  • Options
    I've only just spotted that Betfair have now opened their Indyref market. Been going since late July apparently. In fact, they currently have the best prices for both Yes and No:

No 1.17
    Yes 6.2
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Guess who Dan Hodges has written about?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100231375/were-not-facing-tory-armageddon-not-every-problem-is-a-crisis-labour-is-in-danger-of-crying-wolf-once-too-often/

"OK, there’s still a long way to go. But at the time of writing the day is 11 hours old, and as yet nothing especially disastrous has happened to Ed Miliband and the Labour party.

On Monday the Labour leader returned from his holiday. A few hours later his immigration policy imploded live on the Today programme. On Tuesday a poll was published in the Guardian showing the Tories are now soaring ahead of Labour on the key issue of economic competence. On Wednesday, Miliband got egged. Yesterday a second poll showed he is now as unpopular as Gordon Brown, and even more unpopular than Nick Clegg. Up until that point it had been widely assumed the only political leader more unpopular than Nick Clegg was Robert Mugabe..."
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Plato said:

Just had a glance at the comments under Tweet like a Righty and my the humour bypass is even worse than I expected.

Grumpy Humpy Land.

link?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Plato said:

Grumpy Humpy Land.

link?
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100231310/the-mandatory-tweets-of-the-right-a-users-guide/
  • Options
    Betfair also have an Indyref turnout market:

55.0 Percent or fewer 8
    55.01 - 60.0 Percent 5
    60.01 - 65.0 Percent 3
    65.01 - 70.0 Percent 2.5
    70.01 - 75.0 Percent 2.5
    75.01 Percent or Greater 4
  • Options

Roger said:

In the interests of disclosure, you do know that Ian Murray MP is Roger's cousin (or some type of relative anyway).
    I had an inkling there was some affiliation – but more than one MP in the past has gone on to great success - despite such family embarrassments. :)
  • Options
    "Labour loves a good crisis. Last month Liam Byrne claimed Britain was facing a “youth unemployment crisis”. Not to be outdone, Stephen Timms popped up this week and said that, actually, Britain was facing an “underemployment crisis”. Back in June it was Jack Dromey’s turn. The country was facing a “housing crisis", he warned. In January it was a “crisis in childcare” according to Stephen Twigg. Poor Andy Burnham can’t walk out of his front door without tripping over some sort of crisis in the NHS. This year alone he’s uncovered an A&E crisis, a social care crisis and a staff shortage crisis. In fact, everywhere you look – or everywhere Ed Miliband and the Labour Party looks, at least – the country is imploding.

Over the past week there have been demands from some in Labour’s ranks to “shout louder” to get their message across. But in reality Labour has done precious little over the past three years except shout. With the result that the British voters have now become tone deaf to just about everything Miliband and his party are saying.
  • Options
    What a wonderful put down

"Ed Miliband is trying to define himself as an effective leader of the opposition. But he’s in increasing danger of looking like the leader of one of those doomsday cults, the morning after doomsday has failed to materialise."
  • Options
    Australian election debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X22LsJibTU4
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited August 2013
    The [probable - if any] main error of Rod's use of the Monte Carlo method would have been in his choice of error model for the uncertainties in PM approval and two-party share this far out from the election.

That said, the evidence from MORI is that incumbent Prime Ministers improve their satisfaction rating as the election approaches, which would decrease the probability of a Labour majority.

What I have done, which I thought was interesting, was to reverse the L&N model so that we can find out the level down to which Cameron's satisfaction rating would have to go for the model to predict that Labour and the Conservatives would be level on votes. The answer is that his satisfaction rating would have to decline to less than 45% of the two-party share, which on the 65% two-party share of the last election would be less than 29%, and on a large, YouGov-esque, two-party share of 75% would be 33%.

From the MORI chart it looks as though Cameron's lowest MORI satisfaction rating as Prime Minister is 31%, so it is hard to see the chances of a Labour majority as anything other than very slim - if the L&N model continues to apply.

And here it gets interesting. L&N have to divide Churchill's 1945 approval rating in half for it to fit their model, which they justify on account of him leading a wartime Coalition, and half of his approval being attributable to his Coalition partners. If we follow this example, and reduce Cameron's PM approval by the proportion settled on by the executors of a recently well-publicised will, then it reduces his satisfaction rating to 31%, around the level that would predict a Labour lead in votes.
  • Options
    tim said:

Of course if Cameron was more interested in winning majorities than his chums he'd have dumped Osborne years ago

@IpsosMORI: Economic optimism highest since Jan 2010 yet George Osborne, Ed Balls remain neck and neck @standardnews http://t.co/WUu5jP3HLD #ukpolitics

and the flipside of that is if Miliband had any cojones he'd replace Balls, but he's afraid to. He's go one last chance coming up will he fluff it ?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

GIN1138 said:

Don’t be daft – No matter how bad things get for Eg, Polly will say put a peg on your nose and support him – just as she did with Gordon Brown.

Actually, despite the Polly/Gord love-in from 2005-2007 things soon went sour and between 2008 and 2010 Polly regularly demanded Brown be sacked, resign, be thrown over board, eviscertated, etc...

Such as;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/sep/25/gordon-brown-resignation-labour-conference

And;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/nov/14/last-hard-choice-for-labour

There was also a fair smattering of "hope over expectation" and "keep your nerve" guff as well;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/sep/07/labour-radical-ideas-electoral-reform

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Actually, despite the Polly/Gord love-in from 2005-2007 things soon went sour and between 2008 and 2010 Polly regularly demanded Brown be sacked, resign, thrown over board, eviscertated, etc...

Such as;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/sep/25/gordon-brown-resignation-labour-conference

And;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/nov/14/last-hard-choice-for-labour

There was also a fair smattering of "hope over expectation" and "keep your nerve" guff as well;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/sep/07/labour-radical-ideas-electoral-reform

Polly always just projected what she wanted labour to be as to what it was.... whilst somewhat passing reality. It was always 'Gordon could be wonderful, so he will be wonderful'...

Most amusing.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    CON holds Hungerford by election with much reduced majority over LDs
    CON 810
    LD 751
    LAB 86
    UPP 28
    Con maj 59 - was 235 in 2011
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    "How to tweet like a Lib Dem

Dan Hodges and Tim Stanley have both written in the Telegraph giving advice on how to tweet like Labour (Hodges) and Tories (Stanley) So to address the balance here is my guide to tweeting like a Lib Dem

1. "Out on the streets delivering Focus leaflets and talking to local residents" ~ This tweet is mandatory and must be sent once a week if you wish to stand for office in the Lib Dems or be a Lib Dem candidate. It also good practice for MPs to send these tweets to show they are still down with the ground troops.

2. "We have a Lib Dem friends of cake can we have a Lib Dem friends of x"(red sauce, sausages, saddles etc etc) ~ Lib Dems like being friends of everything ( Apart from Nadine Dorries, UKIP and the Daily Mail)

3. "The leadership are completely ignoring the democratic wishes of the party regarding x. What's the point of conference any more" ~ to be tweeted whenever an MP departs by so much as one word from a conference motion which was voted on by 2% of party members

4. "X (Lib Dem activist) is clearly a Tory/ socialist I don't know why they don't just doesn't go and join them." ~ Normally tweeted about a Lib Dem member who suggests a policy that goes against the prevailing Lib Dem orthodoxy on most given policies or a Lib Dem who is vehemently anti coalition

5. "The party is a broad church and we should stop calling on people to leave" ~ Normally tweeted by the same person who sends the tweet above and sent after someone suggests another Lib Dem activist should go and join Labour / the Tories.... > http://carlminns.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/how-to-tweet-like-lib-dem.html?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer64c42&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    has a battle of the sexes chess match been set up yet with Stuart Wheeler?
  • Options
    Oh this sounds familiar

"9. "We are doomed / going to do well in the general election. Look at the result in Mucking on the wold parish" ~ Tone of tweet to be determined by the result of the latest parish council by election.

And most important of all

10. Anything about #Doctorwho. Doctor Who being the official unofficial religion of Lib Dem activists."
  • Options

has a battle of the sexes chess match been set up yet with Stuart Wheeler?

I think the Outrage Bus passengers were too exhausted from their trip to Bongo Bongo Land or don't play chess/bridge or poker much - Mr Wheeler seems to have largely been lost in the wash.
  • Options
    Michael Dugher suffered a 24% drop in the Labour vote in 2010:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/constituency/a13.stm
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Plato said:

Oh this sounds familiar

"9. "We are doomed / going to do well in the general election. Look at the result in Mucking on the wold parish" ~ Tone of tweet to be determined by the result of the latest parish council by election.

10. Anything about #Doctorwho. Doctor Who being the official unofficial religion of Lib Dem activists."

We are missing instructions to Kippers on how to tweet.

This may be a starting point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamwilson/7533954756/
  • Options
    a Wheeler versus 'lady chess player' could easily get on Eurosports or even Sky Sports 4 I reckon. I mean Fishomania was on recently!!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

CON 810
    LD 751
    LAB 86
    UPP 28

It was Quite a good night for the tories.

• Options
    Re hungerford - who are 'UPP' ?
  • Options
    Mr Wheeler seems to have largely been lost in the wash.

Do Wheelers and the Blooms of this world help UKIP gain supporters, lose them or no change? My gut (and optimism) says they are net vote losers.
  • Options
    It was Quite a good night for the tories.

But no UKIP candidate? the tories would surely have struggled if there had been one.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

CON 810
    LD 751
    LAB 86
    UPP 28

That's a big swing to the Yellows. What happened ?
  • Options
    taffys - i think the advatage to UKIP of having Mr Wheeler is not for his persuasive argument but for his money!!
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    tim said:

GIN1138 said:

So will Dan Hodges I'd imagine, given his opinion on the Tories as a "racist party"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100229435/as-long-as-the-tories-carry-on-their-grim-anti-immigrant-posturing-their-image-as-the-racist-party-will-remain/
    To be fair to Dan Hodges, he wrote this on August 2nd before the no-jobs-for-immigrants party revealed itself...
  • Options
    I think Stuart Wheeler is maybe trying to get Karl Pilkington's role in the next Gervais podcast with his roundabout arguments
  • Options

Re hungerford - who are 'UPP' ?

I read that as UUP to start with and wondered what on Earth was going on!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Stuart Wheeler probably did UKIP no harm at all with his comments a few days ago. Those outraged by the comments would have been people who would never have voted for the party in a million years anyway.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Plato said:

Oh this sounds familiar

Lol, they have rather nailed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Actually, despite the Polly/Gord love-in from 2005-2007 things soon went sour and between 2008 and 2010 Polly regularly demanded Brown be sacked, resign, be thrown over board, eviscertated, etc...

Such as;

And;

Good point, well made Mr Gin – however when push came to shove regarding the GE, Polly reverted to type,- whatever guff she had been spouting the year or two before, all conviction and principle were cast aside and she toad the party line.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    "A POLLING clerk has been jailed for her role in a fraud at local government elections in Derby last May.

Nasreen Akhtar, who was a polling station clerk at the Madeley Centre Polling Station, in Arboretum Ward, helped her nieces, Tameena Ali and Samra Ali, to cast fraudulent votes by pretending to be someone else.

Akhtar, 47, was yesterday jailed at Derby Crown Court for 14 months.

Tameena Ali cast her vote for the Labour candidate Gulfraz Nawaz in the name of Noshiela Maqsood, who is no relation, whereas Samra Ali left before marking the ballot paper.

Maqsood, 24, who lied to police saying she had personally voted, was also given an eight-month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months."

http://www.rottencouncil.co.uk/jail-for-polling-clerk-for-role-in-derby-election-fraud
  • Options
    what happened to Ms Tameena Ali then?
  • Options
    thanks jonnyjimmy - United people's party sounds like a hard left party to me . Can imagine Citizen Smith running it with Arthur Scargill waiting in the wings. Turns out to be a liberal nationalist party!! ??
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    tim said:

Huge gender differences on economic optimism.

And Balls leads Osborne among 2010 Lib Dems

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-august-2013-eoi-tables.pdf

PBTories still cling on to the hope they can be brought back into their camp to fulfil Rod Crosby's hilarious 20% chance !
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

thanks jonnyjimmy - United people's party sounds like a hard left party to me . Can imagine Citizen Smith running it with Arthur Scargill waiting in the wings. Turns out to be a liberal nationalist party!! ??

I could believe that Andrew Stott was running some sort of Ali G style mockumentary project with the United People's Party were it not for the fact that they've been going for nearly four years now.
  • Options

If you look at their electoral history page they have been unsuccessful in co-options.

How the heck can you be *unsuccessfully* co-opted? Co-option is the sort of thing that gets squared away in advance...

(Glad to see the good folk of Woolhampton kept to their senses though. these guys are clearly the local nutters)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    tim said:

Of course if Cameron was more interested in winning majorities than his chums he'd have dumped Osborne years ago

@IpsosMORI: Economic optimism highest since Jan 2010 yet George Osborne, Ed Balls remain neck and neck @standardnews http://t.co/WUu5jP3HLD #ukpolitics

Tories unlikely to benefit from economic Osborne with a figure like Osborne as CoE
    If Cameron's loyalty wasn't to his mates he'd put Theresa May in the job.

That masks Osborne's rise from 29 to 36. Before this Balls had been ahead on the measure, so there has been a recovery in the Boy's ratings. If the economy continues to improve then it will be tough for Balls to maintain his parity.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tim said:

Huge gender differences on economic optimism.

And Balls leads Osborne among 2010 Lib Dems

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-august-2013-eoi-tables.pdf

PBTories still cling on to the hope they can be brought back into their camp to fulfil Rod Crosby's hilarious 20% chance !
    Actually it's more a case of tim clutching at psephological straws, in this case a weighted sample of just 136 ex-LD voters who split fairly evenly: 47 Osborne, 57 Balls, 23 Neither, 8 Dunno, and who in any case have nearly two years to change their minds.
  • Options
    "Distant relatives of Richard III have been granted permission for a judicial review of the decision to rebury the king's remains in Leicester.

The Plantagenet Alliance launched a legal challenge to the decision made by the Ministry of Justice in May."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23726011
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tom Chivers can be fun but is also incredibly superior - this is perfect http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100231401/the-mandatory-tweets-of-the-self-righteous-vacillating-centrist-stats-bore-a-users-guide/

Sure, you can tweet like a Leftie. Or you can tweet like a Rightie. But what about those of us who smugly hold ourselves above such petty tribal considerations? What if you look down your smarmy nose at frothing Right-wingers and deluded Left-wingers with equal disdain? Where is the guide for the oh-so-superior evidence-based rationalist tosspot?

Don't worry, chaps and non-chaps. Help is at hand.

1) "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that". This is the heart of everything that the Self-Righteous Vacillating Centrist Stats Bore does. Take the biggest story of the day, which, with any luck, the goblin hordes of Right and Left are fighting over furiously – new ONS stats show that Tory education cuts are causing emphysema in dogs in the South East, or something. Gently show that both sides have failed to take into account some confounding variable about canine lung disorders, and suggest that they haven't really got the hang of statistics. Sit back with a look of superiority on your face.

2) "Correlation doesn't equal causation". This one's getting a bit overused, so maybe dress it up as "the third-variable problem" and draw an analogy of ice cream and drownings. Trot this one out whenever a Conservative suggests that welfare reform has got people back into work, or when a Leftie angrily points out that the number of children in poverty has gone up since the Tories got in, or something. Sit back with a look of superiority on your face.

3) "On the one hand, on the other hand": Tricky to get right, because you're trying to fit an awful lot of smug detail into a very short 140-character space. But you need to make it clear that you can see both sides of the argument here, you're not blinkered (unlike some people who we won't mention) by your ideological purity, and that yes, of course, that Charles Manson chap made a lot of mistakes, but in some ways etc etc. Sit back with a look of superiority on your face... >>
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2013
    Only vid of the UPP's leader, Andrew Stott, that I can find

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIuiXnGnls
  • Options
    "there’s a strong sense that an injection of new blood is needed"

Labour's problem is still Gordon Brown,and will be for another few elections yet.

It's similar to the way John Major lost the 1997, 2001 and 2005 elections for the Tories. All Miliband can do is wait for the electorate to forget what Labour actually does in office.

Last time this took 18 years.

• Options
    Afternoon, all.

UPP? Sounds like something from Northern Ireland! (cf. UUP, UUUP, DUP, PUP, UDP, etc.)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Households in England and Wales cut their energy use by a quarter over a six year period, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Average consumption of gas and electricity fell by 24.7% between 2005 and 2011.

Customers have faced steep increases in bills over the period, and may be economising as a result.

The regulator, Ofgem, said that bills have risen by 28% in the last three years.

But increasing use of energy efficiency measures, such as insulation, double-glazing and new boilers, may also be playing its part.

"This fall in consumption shows how effective it is to insulate your home," said a spokesman for Energy UK, which represents Britain's energy suppliers.

"Britain's homes are notoriously leaky and energy companies have been busy improving properties to make them warmer and easier to heat," he said.

The ONS said another reason for the fall in consumption might be the introduction of energy ratings for properties and for household appliances, allowing customers to make informed choices.

But it also noted the price rises.

According to Ofgem, the average dual fuel bill is now £1,420 a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23723385
  • Options

Afternoon, all.

UPP? Sounds like something from Northern Ireland! (cf. UUP, UUUP, DUP, PUP, UDP, etc.)
    Don't forget the People's Front of Judea.
  • Options
    @ Plato

Somebody once commented under a Chivers column that at the Labourgraph, the trolls write the blog posts and the sensible people write the comments underneath.

Our own Sean T seems to have absorbed this very quickly!
  • Options
    Must confess to being a bit of a Rachel Reeves man, personally. And Stella Creasey...
  • Options
    According to Reuters, Miliband's attack theme will be

"They're out of touch. You're out of pocket."

Can't recall seeing that being posted here. Is it old news?
  • Options
    We get a Dan Hodges-by-numbers column today:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100231375/were-not-facing-tory-armageddon-not-every-problem-is-a-crisis-labour-is-in-danger-of-crying-wolf-once-too-often/

Top marks, however, for the picture at the top of the page. If you read no further, you're not missing much. The only other noteworthy thing I spotted was this:

"Earlier in the week I was talking to one of David Cameron’s advisers. “Labour’s biggest mistake was the way they misjudged the mood of the voters on the cuts,” he said. “Basically, the public were ahead of the politicians on this one. They knew after the crash we were in for hard times. But Ed Miliband thought when they finally arrived, people would recoil. Instead, they’ve just said 'we don’t like it, but we know there’s not really any alternative'.” "

Some of us pointed out in 2010 that the public were ahead of the politicians on this. But the unnamed adviser is being a bit complacent. The cuts have not finished biting yet, and there's plenty of time for the public's mood to turn.
  • Options
    The cuts have not finished biting yet, and there's plenty of time for the public's mood to turn.

And yet Tim says the tories are spending more than labour.....??

And so the message is that the tories are nasty vicious mill owners who are also spendthrifts.

Just like the country that has an enormous obesity epidemic also has thousands relying on food banks just to eat.

This discussion has been closed.