Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If or when Theresa May is replaced her successor shouldn’t hol

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

Mr. Jonathan, Blair had a golden inheritance and a great opportunity, and squandered it. The politically correct bullshit began under his watch, the politicisation of police under (another) Blair was not edifying, deficits were run in a boom, migration floodgates opened which has and continues to damage social cohesion, half the rebate thrown away and, of course, the military adventurism was not great.

Mostly, he was a charming salesman who was incompetent and cared about headlines not governing.

That said, steps forward happened on civil partnership, and he did continue the good work of Major on Northern Ireland peace.

Edited extra bit: there was prolonged peace and prosperity under Antoninus Pius, but now hardly anybody even remembers his name. Whereas that murderous lunatic Commodus is far better-known.

Of course people remember him, he was named after a toilet.

I'll get my coat.....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    IanB2 said:

Mr. L, wasn't there a huge length of peace after the Napoleonic War(s)?

And a bad depression
    Which led to the Chartists.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Wondering when we will next get a top class prime minister. Three second raters on the trot is unprecedented since ww2.

It's certain to be four. I can only think of one possible candidate from each of the two main parties who doesn't fit your description and Anna Soubrey has no chance
    Something wrong with my eyes. I read Mr J’s post as ‘three second raters and the trot’!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    felix said:

The last 10 years have been a heck of a ride.

At least we can all agree they've not been boring.

The overriding factor for me is the electorate's disenchantment with politicians and the subsequent results at the ballot box. This place increasingly puzzles me, alleged well informed political anoraks so obviously out of touch with public opinion.
    I agree - we have ever more news/social media commentary and they seem furhter from much of the public mood than ever before. One particular aspect is the media 'bubble' apsect which ensures that their distorted views are magnified as they seem largely to talk to each other whilst ignoring from on high Jo Public. This is evident everywhere - not least on here.
    There must have been a lot of money lost on here on their seat projections on the snap election.However we never seem to read about it as with many punters we only hear the success.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited July 2017
    Jonathan said:

Wondering when we will next get a top class prime minister. Three second raters on the trot is unprecedented since ww2.

Even as a committed Tory, I'd vote for TB's '97 - '99 government in a second compared with what we;ve got now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,210

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

The NAO seem to share the feeling that the government is sorely unprepared for the contingencies of Brexit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/12/theresa-mays-government-could-come-apart-like-chocolate-orange/
    This is a rather extraordinary intervention.

Car crash Brexit, here we come...

Can any government survive with this level of incompetence?

The one thing worse for an incoming unelected PM than a snap election, is a snap election forced by Parliament.

If the UK navigates a successful Brexit that allows us to thrive outside EU, the biggest loser is the EU.

A pre-requisite of a successful UK outside the EU is a successful EU. Some lunatics on the right may wish it to be otherwise, but even this government - by far the worst in living memory - understands the opposite is true.

Two questions:

What has this govt done (in its few weeks) that is so awful?
    Drifted.
    At a time when that is an indulgence the nation can't afford.

Whether or not it is the worst in living memory will be determined in the next couple of years.
    I didn't vote for May but to me the definition of good govt is one that does very little, stays out of people's lives.

I suspect that when you say drift you really mean it hasn't spent borrowed money
    In the context of Brexit, that is simply preposterous.
    As are your 'suspicions'.
    What "should" they be doing re Brexit?
    You're argument seems to be that they should be doing nothing. Hence preposterous.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,607
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

The last 10 years have been a heck of a ride.

At least we can all agree they've not been boring.

The overriding factor for me is the electorate's disenchantment with politicians and the subsequent results at the ballot box. This place increasingly puzzles me, alleged well informed political anoraks so obviously out of touch with public opinion.
    I agree - we have ever more news/social media commentary and they seem furhter from much of the public mood than ever before. One particular aspect is the media 'bubble' apsect which ensures that their distorted views are magnified as they seem largely to talk to each other whilst ignoring from on high Jo Public. This is evident everywhere - not least on here.
    There must have been a lot of money lost on here on their seat projections on the snap election.However we never seem to read about it as with many punters we only hear the success.
    I stood to lose a fair amount I confess. Placed bets on seats that only fall in a Tory landslide. I did have some coverage with a NOM bet and I topped that up a bit after the dementia tax chaos. This saved me from a total wipeout, but it was still pretty bad.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited July 2017
    The afternoon thread is scheduled, so if anything major happens, I'm not ignoring it, I'm just having drinks and lunch with an Old Oxonian who read PPE in a venue that bans mobiles.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,161
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, I'd rather have Cameron than Blair (your post implies Blair was top class).

Undoubtedly.
    Agreed 1997 to 2007 the best 10 years domestically of government in my my living memory.
    In 2007 the PM was shouting "British Jobs For British Workers", uncontrolled immigration had begun, student tuition fees had been introduced, home ownership was falling, a bank had crashed and government finances were about to spin out of control.

It was the decade which followed where the consequences of these issues would increasingly be felt.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited July 2017
    Premier league - Maj 100+

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Third Division - loser special league

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Catastrophe Special Diadora league all stars

Eden
    Cameron
    May
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Mr. Jonathan, I'd rather have Cameron than Blair (your post implies Blair was top class).

Undoubtedly.
    Agreed 1997 to 2007 the best 10 years domestically of government in my my living memory.
    Ridiculous comments like this are why history cannot be viewed like that. Atlee's government led to huge cuts to the rations, malnutrition and other horrors. But the medium and longer term impact of his reforming ministry was invaluable.

97-07, which you think wonderful, has led to a decade following it that has almost seen the break up of this country, has seen us so disenfranchised with the status quo that we're leaving the EU and a broken economy that doesn't help those who need help the most, whilst massively helping the middle classes Brown tried to buy. It has also created a culture of news dominated politics and personal entitlement that runs so contrary to the British social settlement that governing has become nigh on impossible.

Blair's decade will, I'm convinced, be looked upon as one of the worst decades of domestic rule since the 1820s.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.
    In 2007 the PM was shouting "British Jobs For British Workers", uncontrolled immigration had begun, student tuition fees had been introduced, home ownership was falling, a bank had crashed and government finances were about to spin out of control.

It was the decade which followed where the consequences of these issues would increasingly be felt.
    I meant the Blair years first class PM.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,210

The afternoon thread is scheduled, so if anything major happens, I'm not ignoring it, I'm just having drinks and lunch with an Old Oxonian who read PPE in a venue that bans mobiles.

"who read PPE in a venue that bans mobiles" - Which college is that ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.
    Ridiculous comments like this are why history cannot be viewed like that. Atlee's government led to huge cuts to the rations, malnutrition and other horrors. But the medium and longer term impact of his reforming ministry was invaluable.

97-07, which you think wonderful, has led to a decade following it that has almost seen the break up of this country, has seen us so disenfranchised with the status quo that we're leaving the EU and a broken economy that doesn't help those who need help the most, whilst massively helping the middle classes Brown tried to buy. It has also created a culture of news dominated politics and personal entitlement that runs so contrary to the British social settlement that governing has become nigh on impossible.

Blair's decade will, I'm convinced, be looked upon as one of the worst decades of domestic rule since the 1820s.
    We disagree.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

What is it about Brexit that makes people think wishful thinking can be passed off as analysis?

This

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/747000584226607104

If you can post a lie like that, repeat it day after day, disown it the day after the vote and still attain high office, it's clear wishful thinking is an acceptable mainstream substitute for rational analysis and truth
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

I'd swap last decade for this dismal never-ending shit shower.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    Nigelb said:

Oil Refinery College?

More likely to be wearing PPE than studying it, to be fair.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

What is it about Brexit that makes people think wishful thinking can be passed off as analysis?

This

If you can post a lie like that, repeat it day after day, disown it the day after the vote and still attain high office, it's clear wishful thinking is an acceptable mainstream substitute for rational analysis and truth
    ' Today, we are setting out our assessment of what would happen in the weeks and months after a vote to Leave on June 23.

It is clear that there would be an immediate and profound shock to our economy.

The analysis produced by the Treasury today shows that a vote to leave will push our economy into a recession that would knock 3.6 per cent off GDP and, over two years, put hundreds of thousands of people out of work right across the country, compared to the forecast for continued growth if we vote to remain in the EU.

In a more severe shock scenario, Treasury economists estimate that our economy could be hit by 6 per cent, there would be a deeper recession and unemployment would rise by even more. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-brexit-would-put-our-economy-in/
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

None of the better universities tolerate telephones in the libraries.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

Nigelb said:

fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

The NAO seem to share the feeling that the government is sorely unprepared for the contingencies of Brexit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/12/theresa-mays-government-could-come-apart-like-chocolate-orange/

The one thing worse for an incoming unelected PM than a snap election, is a snap election forced by Parliament.

A pre-requisite of a successful UK outside the EU is a successful EU. Some lunatics on the right may wish it to be otherwise, but even this government - by far the worst in living memory - understands the opposite is true.

Two questions:

Drifted.

Whether or not it is the worst in living memory will be determined in the next couple of years.
    I didn't vote for May but to me the definition of good govt is one that does very little, stays out of people's lives.

I agree that a good govt is one that (mostly) stays out of peoples lives. However to do that properly (which I think we should) could involve unwinding centuries of laws. Currently we keep adding a bit here and a bit there to overcome issues that arise because of flaws in the existing situation.Take civil partnership and civil marriage for instance, we tinkered to overcome issues that should never have existed if marriage was outside of the state remit. I would like to see marriage and religion removed from the state altogether. If people want to marry that is up to them and has nothing to do with the state. Same with religion - personal issue. My view is that neither have anything to do with the state. However the unravelling of the laws would be huge (children, divorce, inheritance, tax, etc, etc)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Surely the Standard Editorial room lets you use mobiles? :)
  • Options

fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

Well the EU has survived decades of ever more undemocratic and very costly incompetence, andg message to stop other EU members thinking about following the UK by leaving.

If the UK navigates a successful Brexit that allows us to thrive outside EU, the biggest loser is the EU.

what nonsense

the worst government in living memory was Callaghan, followed by Gordon Brown

Nope - this one is leading us towards an exit from our most important market with no plan and o semblance of a plan. We will have to live with the consequences for decades.

this is just the usual partisan hyperbole thats making PB lose its sharpness

6 months ago you were saying the opposition was the worst ever and then came the election

it would help if people on this board could occasionally spend some time in the real world

the big news is Andy Murray is out in case you missed it

I'd certainly agree that the abysmal opposition has made this government even worse. I spend as much time in the real world as you do. Like most Brits I am no great fan of tennis ;-)

brits are only tennis fans for a fortnight each year :-)
    Today they are really excited about tennis. They will be getting a semi this afternoon.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

A good actor I will give you that.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I have two questions about leaving the EU
    1. Who stands to get the most financial advantage out of leaving, after all most things are greed led
    2. What benefits will the average person in the street get out of leaving

1. Lawyers.
    2. Duty free booze & fags.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.
    You were neither a single parent nor disabled then... both of whom were specifically targeted by Blair to stop idling and get into work... see his Rights and Responsibilities speech and subsequent policies for details.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,193

Mr. Jonathan, Blair had a golden inheritance and a great opportunity, and squandered it. The politically correct bullshit began under his watch, the politicisation of police under (another) Blair was not edifying, deficits were run in a boom, migration floodgates opened which has and continues to damage social cohesion, half the rebate thrown away and, of course, the military adventurism was not great.

Mostly, he was a charming salesman who was incompetent and cared about headlines not governing.

.. snip ..

Good summary. He might have been better without his henchmen and coterie (Brown, Mandelson, Prescott, Campbell etc) and without the couch.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Nigelb said:

Oil Refinery College?

More likely to be wearing PPE than studying it, to be fair.
    Very good.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

Blair had the party decade, it was followed by the throwing up decade. At some point there will have to be a decade of clearing up the mess.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Surely the Standard Editorial room lets you use mobiles? :)
    George read modern history not PPE.
  • Options
    By the way,Theresa May on radio 5 after 10am with emma barnett,her first indepth interview since the 2017 GE.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Yorkcity said:

Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

We disagree.
    1997 - 07 was a fools' paradise.
  • Options

By the way,Theresa May on radio 5 after 10am with emma barnett,her first indepth interview since the 2017 GE.

Should cost Tories a few more votes.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

I have two questions about leaving the EU
    1. Who stands to get the most financial advantage out of leaving, after all most things are greed led
    2. What benefits will the average person in the street get out of leaving

1. Lawyers.
    2. Duty free booze & fags.
    Yes but at the moment i can bring in 1000 fags at £4 a packet but will only be able to bring in 200 at £2.50 so not really a benefit.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

Two questions:

Drifted.

I suspect that when you say drift you really mean it hasn't spent borrowed money
    In the context of Brexit, that is simply preposterous.
    As are your 'suspicions'.
    What "should" they be doing re Brexit?
    You're argument seems to be that they should be doing nothing. Hence preposterous.
    On the contrary, I want us to leave the EU ASAP but appreciate we are dealing with 27 intransigent countries, it won't be straightforward.

• Options

Well the EU has survived decades of ever more undemocratic and very costly incompetence, and its still there and for some reason many Remain supporters are just as happy to ignore that. When are we all going to realise that if its car crash Brexit for the UK, then it is also going to be a very costly car crash Brexit for the EU?! It maybe the responsibility of our Government to do everything it can to make Brexit as smooth as possible for UKplc, but the EU are now facing a far tougher task that seems to be ignored daily. The EU not only have to now deal with the loss of the UK as a net contributor on various levels, but they also have navigate a minefield where they are able to send a very strong message to stop other EU members thinking about following the UK by leaving.

Two questions:

If this is the worst govt in living memory which is the best?

This government has done absolutely nothing for a year except trigger Article 50 and so start the clock to our exit from the European Union with absolutely no clue about what happens next. It is an unprecedented misjudgement and one that could only have been made by complete incompetents.
    And the best govt?

For me personally, I'd say that the Wilson 64-70, Thatcher, Major and Blair governments were the best. For the country as a whole, I'd go for the Liberal 1906 one and the Labour 1945 one.

Hang on, you said living memory - how old are you?

Mediaeval courts took the view that within living memory consisted of what the oldest members of society were told verbally by the oldest members of society when they were sentient children. This they took to be 2 x 80 years before the present. Would that take us back to the 1870s ?

I think the doctine that "beyond the memory of man" means before the accession of Richard I, 1189 is some development of this analysis.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Should cost Tories a few more votes.
    Just hope she doesn't go into full maybot and show some passion/honesty in the interview.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Jonathan said:

fitalass said:

Nigelb said:

Well

Two questions:

If this is the worst govt in living memory which is the best?

This made by complete incompetents.
    And the best govt?

For

Living memory I took to mean people alive, not just me. I was born in 1964, but have undoubtedly benefited from what the 1906 and 1945 governments set in motion and then consolidated.

Nothing comes close to matching the impact of the 1945 government. The social reforms of Wilson are probably second.
    That's a very left/centre-left view, however.

I think the economic reforms of the 1980s were (and still are) very important to our quality of life today. And the Atlee government went way too far on nationalisation.

The Conservative (national) government in the 1930s navigated the great depression with skill, not to mention the abdication crisis, and built lots of very decent houses. And re-armed when they had to do so.

Stanley Baldwin is underrated.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

I'd demote both Blair and Heath one division apiece - Heath possibly two, his "big win" being overshadowed by his "silly question". I'd probably promote Cameron - his Coalition was at worst second division, while his and George's shafting of their partners puts them in the bottom division without question. "We won a majority, now watch what we'll do with it". May may yet climb one division, but it's going to be uphill.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

' Today, we are setting out our assessment of what would happen in the weeks and months after a vote to Leave on June 23.

The analysis produced by the Treasury today shows that a vote to leave will push our economy into a recession that would knock 3.6 per cent off GDP and, over two years, put hundreds of thousands of people out of work right across the country, compared to the forecast for continued growth if we vote to remain in the EU.

In a more severe shock scenario, Treasury economists estimate that our economy could be hit by 6 per cent, there would be a deeper recession and unemployment would rise by even more. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/22/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-brexit-would-put-our-economy-in/
    Nevertheless a prediction doesn't carry the same political weight as a promise.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    On topic, to be fair to Palpatine, the error wasn't so much letting the Rebel Alliance know the location of the Death Star, it was - as he accused Luke of so doing, apparently without any self-awareness - his faith in his friends. In any case, it wasn't the Death Star itself that the Alliance saw as the primary goal; it was the Emperor himself, who laid his presence there as bait, rightly perceiving his key man dependency. The Empire had more than enough firepower both on Endor's moon and in space to deal with the insignificant rebellion; if blame must be assigned - and it must - then both the numpties on the ground (allegedly among the Empire's finest troops), and the idiotic order for the star destroyers not to attack, for which Palpatine can be rightly accused of hubris. Even so, had the Emperor not pushed Vader beyond his limit, or even if he had dispatched Luke more rapidly rather than revelling in the torture, he would have won a crushing and probably absolute victory. It should be remembered that as well as Palpatine, Vader and the Death Star all being simultaneously vulnerable in that battle, so was every leading member of the Alliance. For great prizes, sometimes great risks must be run.

Which is to say that actually, May's strategy, like Palpatine's, was perfectly sound but was buggered up by the idiotic actions of underlings and by nonsensical tactics.

In principle, there's no reason why a future PM shouldn't call a snap election when in a favourable position. While there are certainly risks to doing so, there are also considerable risks to letting the chance pass.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

ScottP is obsessed with the £350m Boris poster.
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

Very true he made you think even when you disagreed with him.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

The intelligent will see the link: unsustainable borrowing to fund splurging on public services, a lop-sided devolution settlement, and continued EU integration - with no democratic say - under Blair spawned the deficit crisis, SNP/English nationalism, and far harder euroscepticism.

If Blair had reined in Brown, granted English votes for English laws, and renegotiated Lisbon, and offered a referendum, we could be in a very different place now.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Undoubtedly.

Very true he made you think even when you disagreed with him.
    He didn't fool me but yes plenty of others lapped it up,his lies and all.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    The unceremonious sacking of the second most powerful figure in her own party was in hindsight her biggest mistake. It wasn't that he led a private army of followers it's that he knew how to manipulate opinion from his position as editor of London's most popular paper.

He was Iago to Theresa's Othello.

I look forward to the book "The Fall of the House of May and my part in it" by George Osborne.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,037
    Mr. Eagles, you poser.

If Cameron and Osborne had adopted my sensible plan for a small fleet of Death Stars, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Mr. D, in France, toilets used to be called something like vespasiennes, because Vespasian charged a small fee for using public conveniences.

Note: sorry, I meant to post this about 40 minutes ago but got distracted working :p
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We might not for a very long time.

Why?

Because people's past gets raked over with a fine toothcomb, and a single gaffe/off the cuff remark can ruin your reputation for life, not to mention intrusions into your personal life.

Oh, and everyone will think you're on the take, or corrupt.

Who would give up a career for that?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Mediaeval courts took the view that within living memory consisted of what the oldest members of society were told verbally by the oldest members of society when they were sentient children. This they took to be 2 x 80 years before the present. Would that take us back to the 1870s ?

I think the doctine that "beyond the memory of man" means before the accession of Richard I, 1189 is some development of this analysis.

Being told about something by your elders isn't the same as actually experiencing it. Living memory should be the age at which the oldest people can first remember events back to. The oldest person in the UK alive today was born in 1904, so if you assume children don't really remember things from before 5-7 years old, you could probably say 1910 is the current absolute limit for what constitutes living memory. More realistically, it would be more like 1920.
  • Options

MICKEY said:

I don't understand why you are always writing that the coalition government was dramatic.
    No, it was a very stable government, who has resolved a lot of problems. Remember our Labour minister : 'I'm sorry, but there is no money anymore.....'. Tories are cutting. Labour is spending. If the Tories continue to shout like Mr Boris Johnson, the loser will be the UK, and not the EU. That will be a fact. Negociations, you are doing on a quiet way, not by shouting on a megaphone !

I'm a fan of the coalition, the drama refers to the initial speculation by many that it wouldn't last until Christmas.
    Christmas? Those were the optimists - August GE nailed on was a frequent refrain - eventually drifting out to October, then "is November too late"?

Much like Mrs May will, the coalition proved more durable - though I doubt she'll last 5 years.

If only someone ("genius" (sic) to his dwindling band of admirers) hadn't set about doing over the junior partners in the coalition we'd have had Coalition II, no referendum and no BREXIT.....
    chortle

Cameron and Osborne called the referendum and lost it, but in TSE world theyre blameless
    Cameron Osborne were to blame for calling the referendum but then they didn't believe they'd win a majority at GE15. This is unlike the hapless TMay who believed GE17 was a certainty so it was OK to break her promise to wait until 2020.

Lesson: never underestimate the electorate.
  • Options

It should haunt BoZo to his grave
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Jonathan said:

We might not for a very long time.

Why?

Because people's past gets raked over with a fine toothcomb, and a single gaffe/off the cuff remark can ruin your reputation for life, not to mention intrusions into your personal life.

Oh, and everyone will think you're on the take, or corrupt.

Who would give up a career for that?
    Also, the characteristics and qualities that make a great PM aren't precisely the same as those needed to work your way up and secure the job in the first place. Normally expressed as Americans questioning why out of 250 million potential candidates they so often get presented with a choice between two idiots.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, any ranking system that places Blair above Churchill is worthless.

Mr. Herdson, I'd argue the problem was government outsourcing. Why did Palpatine have the shields for the Death Star based on the forest moon of Endor, rather than the station itself?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

I'd demote both Blair and Heath one division apiece - Heath possibly two, his "big win" being overshadowed by his "silly question". I'd probably promote Cameron - his Coalition was at worst second division, while his and George's shafting of their partners puts them in the bottom division without question. "We won a majority, now watch what we'll do with it". May may yet climb one division, but it's going to be uphill.
    The bottom division is reserved for those who had resign after a major failure. Cameron is there for sure. Sorry.

Heath achieved his primary political objective that dominated politics for 40 years. It ended badly, but he achieved what he set out to do

Blair's place is secure because of three big majorities alone.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Mr. Jonathan, any ranking system that places Blair above Churchill is worthless.

Mr. Herdson, I'd argue the problem was government outsourcing. Why did Palpatine have the shields for the Death Star based on the forest moon of Endor, rather than the station itself?

Status of construction, space, power supply?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

Heath achieved his primary political objective that dominated politics for 40 years. It ended badly, but he achieved what he set out to do

Which is why I'd put Heath at the very bottom of the list.

That man caused us no end of trouble for decades.
  • Options

Churchill as a peacetime PM was distinctly mediocre. If the criterion is "good PM" rather than "good war leader", it's not unreasonable.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It should haunt BoZo to his grave
    Haunt him then, rather than boring us with it twice a day, every day.
  • Options

To make the Death Star looking even more vulnerable to the Rebels, it didn't have the flaw of the first one.
  • Options

I was looking post 45 only.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The unceremonious sacking of the second most powerful figure in her own party was in hindsight her biggest mistake. It wasn't that he led a private army of followers it's that he knew how to manipulate opinion from his position as editor of London's most popular paper.

I look forward to the book "The Fall of the House of May and my part in it" by George Osborne.

Nothing Osborne has done since his sacking (and don't forget his behaviour before, which led to it) has led me to think that dismissing him was anything other than the right decision.

Cameron has a class Osborne will never match.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    Sky just reported a very acrimonious meeting with the Police Officer leading the criminal investigation and the new council leader. The residents through their trauma are just rejecting anybody who may actually be able to help them. One resident said 'we just want someone arrested' and basically shouted down the police officer and the council leader.

The problem that has developed is the impossibilty of saying or doing anything to placate this fury and in the end there is a real possiblity that the residents will start to lose public support.

It is a disaster and tragedy with many aspects and it is impossible to understand how a community can come together in months, years or even a lifetime. They deserve our thoughts and prayers but we also need to hope that their palpable anger will dissipate in time and a healing process can begin.

The building will need to come down but that is going to be an utterly horrible process
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

Almost any PM at that time would have done the same. We were desperate, and it was the right thing to do.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

Before the Referendum Scott has such rich material to work with - an immediate recession, a stock market crash, the car factories to shut down, millions to lose their jobs, the City to move on mass to Frankfurt/Paris/Dublin, Scotland to become independent, the ten plagues of Egypt, a world war, the four horsemen of apocalypse and the end of western civilisation.

A few months later he was reduced to 'fishfingers to rise by 5p next year'.

Now he's down to the Boris poster.
  • Options

Roger said:

Nothing Osborne has done since his sacking (and don't forget his behaviour before, which led to it) has led me to think that dismissing him was anything other than the right decision.

I agree, I didn't like Cameron as PM but he understood that the referendum had become all about his credibility and since then he's kept his dignity.

Osborne on the other hand.......
  • Options
    Mr. Rog, given what happened to the last one, defensive capabilities should've been the top priority.

Mr. B2, the achievements of Churchill as PM are orders of magnitude greater than those of Blair. Deliberately excluding them to make Blair seem better is just daft.

Mr. Eagles, but that confuses the perception and reality of weakness! Fine to make it look weak, stupid to actually make it so.
  • Options

MICKEY said:

I don't understand why you are always writing that the coalition government was dramatic.
    No, it was a very stable government, who has resolved a lot of problems. Remember our Labour minister : 'I'm sorry, but there is no money anymore.....'. Tories are cutting. Labour is spending. If the Tories continue to shout like Mr Boris Johnson, the loser will be the UK, and not the EU. That will be a fact. Negociations, you are doing on a quiet way, not by shouting on a megaphone !

I'm a fan of the coalition, the drama refers to the initial speculation by many that it wouldn't last until Christmas.
    Christmas? Those were the optimists - August GE nailed on was a frequent refrain - eventually drifting out to October, then "is November too late"?

Much like Mrs May will, the coalition proved more durable - though I doubt she'll last 5 years.

If only someone ("genius" (sic) to his dwindling band of admirers) hadn't set about doing over the junior partners in the coalition we'd have had Coalition II, no referendum and no BREXIT.....
    chortle

Cameron and Osborne called the referendum and lost it, but in TSE world theyre blameless
    Cameron Osborne were to blame for calling the referendum but then they didn't believe they'd win a majority at GE15. This is unlike the hapless TMay who believed GE17 was a certainty so it was OK to break her promise to wait until 2020.

Lesson: never underestimate the electorate.
    And don't think they'll connive in sorting out YOUR problems. They may just make them worse....
  • Options

To make the Death Star looking even more vulnerable to the Rebels, it didn't have the flaw of the first one.
    I thought the second Death Star was still under construction when it was attacked by the rebel scum?
  • Options

Roger said:

I was a great supporter of Osborne but his behaviour since becoming editor of the Standard has been utterly childish and pathetic and he has lost me completely. He should be honest and leave the party and join the Lib Dems. It is very sad really
  • Options
    the Government is doomed, and shuffling the pieces will not fix that.

A party political system is trying to deliver on a referendum result that was not fought on party lines, holds no campaign accountable, and will ultimately disappoint almost everyone.

When the head of the Leave campaign says the current plan to leave is moronic, there can be no good outcome.

My radical solution is another vote.

Not another referendum, or another party political General Election. A vote to elect a Brexit Government.

Candidates can stand on one of 3 Brexit platforms

1. WTO
    2. Norway
    3. Revoke Article 50

Nail their colours to the mast before the vote. Be held accountable during and after the vote

If the WTO crew get most seats, they can make Bill Cash or John Redwood PM and get on with it
  • Options

Mr. Rog, given what happened to the last one, defensive capabilities should've been the top priority.

Mr. B2, the achievements of Churchill as PM are orders of magnitude greater than those of Blair. Deliberately excluding them to make Blair seem better is just daft.

Mr. Eagles, but that confuses the perception and reality of weakness! Fine to make it look weak, stupid to actually make it so.

I wouldn't understate Churchill's wartime achievements, but they stand apart from a unique time period. Fact remains, he wasn't great as a peacetime PM (nor particularly so as a pre-war politician) and comparing the various PMs during post-1945 peacetime is a more relevant exercise, insofar as the object is to put our recent experiences into historical context.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

Almost any PM at that time would have done the same. We were desperate, and it was the right thing to do.
    We weren't desperate. And it wasn't the right thing to do.

The right thing would have been to stay in EFTA, and developer a more collaborative relationship from there.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Attlee
    Thatcher
    Blair

First Division

Wilson
    Macmillan
    Heath

Second Division

Major
    Churchill

Callaghan
    Brown
    Home

Eden
    Cameron
    May

Blair's place is secure because of three big majorities alone.
    While electoral success is clearly a major factor "what they did with their mandate" is also important. Attlee and Thatcher left changed countries behind them - what did Blair leave us with?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

A party political system is trying to deliver on a referendum result that was not fought on party lines, holds no campaign accountable, and will ultimately disappoint almost everyone.

When the head of the Leave campaign says the current plan to leave is moronic, there can be no good outcome.

Not another referendum, or another party political General Election. A vote to elect a Brexit Government.

1. WTO
    2. Norway
    3. Revoke Article 50

Nail their colours to the mast before the vote. Be held accountable during and after the vote

If the WTO crew get most seats, they can make Bill Cash or John Redwood PM and get on with it

Conducted under AV?
  • Options

Before the Referendum Scott has such rich material to work with - an immediate recession, a stock market crash, the car factories to shut down, millions to lose their jobs, the City to move on mass to Frankfurt/Paris/Dublin, Scotland to become independent, the ten plagues of Egypt, a world war, the four horsemen of apocalypse and the end of western civilisation.

Hold that thought...
  • Options
    The allusion to "focussing" is interesting. Is spelling it that way now a thing? I thought the doubling of a final consonant meant you stressed the preceding syllable, thus "forget" gives "forgetting", "abet" gives "abetting", but "target" gives "targeting", "riot" gives "rioting", and "focus" gives "focusing".

When I read "focussing" spelt thus what I hear is "foCUSSing".
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, bit harsh on Churchill to make that the cut-off. Could do the same with Constantine the Great and you'd be left with a paranoid wife- and son-killing swine. [Not that bad things should be removed from the record, but nor should good].
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Rank of governments since I was 12.

Coalition <- National stability at a tough time.
    Major <- Economy ran well despite the appearance of shambolism. Started the PFI nonsense.
    Blair term 1 <- Generally sensible with finances.
    Cam Maj <- Good outwith the EU Ref error.
    Blair term 2 <- Increasing Brown influence
    May 16-17 <- Economy has run ok despite May, Tory Brown.
    Blair post 05 <- Blair lame duck.
    Brown
  • Options
    Putting TMay's first year as PM into context - biggest ratings drop since Ipsos-MORI started polling in 1970s

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/885400908670042113
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

You must admit it was THE big lie of the referendum campaign.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

1. WTO
    2. Norway
    3. Revoke Article 50

Good idea but who is going to implement the vote. All MP's are fighting like rats in a sack over a decision that needs unity of purpose across the parties.

Theresa May is brave in the first place to want to see it through as I cannot think of anyone who would really want to be in her place over the next two years. And before anyone says Corbyn it would destroy him too
  • Options

Roger said:

I was a great supporter of Osborne but his behaviour since becoming editor of the Standard has been utterly childish and pathetic and he has lost me completely. He should be honest and leave the party and join the Lib Dems. It is very sad really
    His son already has. Or was at least campaigning for them at the GE.
  • Options

Roger said:

If Osborne had behaved with more class and humility since, like Portillo or Balls have, and shown he was the bigger man, his reputation might have rehabilitated and he'd be welcomed back with open arms.

Instead he's made "vengeance" his modus operandi, which says an awful lot about him.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    May's debacle has of course totally vindicated Gordon Brown's decision not to hold an election in 2007. He wasnt being "chicken". he was being wise.
    The fact is that every prime minister since we became a democracy who held a "snap" election before four years had elapsed despite having a working majority has lost his or her majority. It happened in 1923 when Baldwin called an election after just one year of a parliament. It happened in 1974 when Heath called one after three and a half years.
    This parliament will need to run for at least four years before another election unless the Tories lose 7 seats in by elections, or unless the government is defeated in a vote of confidence or budget. There might come a time with a new leader and good polls that the Tories might want to be defeated in the Commons and an election precipitated because despite the new received wisdom since the election that Corbyn is good for Labour, I still contend that he is a big liability.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited July 2017

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

Given that we haven't left yet - though I doubt the NHS will get much more money when we have done - surely the immediate recession after the vote to leave was the biggest lie?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The complete hysteria over imminent Brexit chaos is becoming so absurd that I''m beginning to think that it will work out well for the Tories. If, as is highly likely, we get some kind of deal, no matter how poor, and thus avoid patients dying of cancer because they can't get treatment, planes falling out of the sky, pharmaceutical supplies drying up, and no tourists coming to the wind-swept wastelands of London, then it's going to look like a triumph of competent government.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

His son already has. Or was at least campaigning for them at the GE.
    Forget his public sacking, there surely can be no greater humiliation for him.
  • Options

Roger said:

A very old fashioned view of the anti-hero. Vulgar is the new classy. Think Trump Think Corbyn Think Netanyahu. Think Steve Hilton Think McDonnell Think Johnson Think Gove.....

If only the Tories could get back it's reputation as the 'Nasty Party' it wouldn't now be struggling
  • Options

Good idea but who is going to implement the vote. All MP's are fighting like rats in a sack over a decision that needs unity of purpose across the parties.

Theresa May is brave in the first place to want to see it through as I cannot think of anyone who would really want to be in her place over the next two years. And before anyone says Corbyn it would destroy him too

That's the point

It's to elect a Government of Brexit unity. Whichever group ends up in charge elects a leader to be PM and deliver the verdict

It could be Andrea Leadsom, Vince Cable or Chuka Umuna
  • Options

Roger said:

I agree, I didn't like Cameron as PM but he understood that the referendum had become all about his credibility and since then he's kept his dignity.

Osborne on the other hand.......
    I thought Cameron's tweet on the DUP deal was very fair "under the circs" (i.e. I wouldn't have got us into this mess, but we are where we are) "Support the deal" - loyal to a leader he doubtless now has a low opinion of.

Osborne on the other hand has been childishly delighting in every set back for the government and country- which is foolish, because any valid criticism will now be dismissed as vindictive personal animus.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

It's just a bit boring.

I know you'll be tempted to say "Oh, look! A Leaver trying to escape responsibility!" etc. etc. but we've been here so so many times, and debated to death endlessly, that it's just a waste of everyone's time to engage on it anymore.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

1. WTO
    2. Norway
    3. Revoke Article 50

Nice try to split the leave vote. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited July 2017
    I spend £70 on diesel every month to get to work, lets make additional pension contributions instead.

Is that a lie or ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

It wasn't a lie though was it.

"Lets give £350m to the NHS" is a suggestion not a guarantee. It was made by a group of people that weren't in a position to deliver, but plenty of us thought it was a bloody good idea.

(Not me incidentally, I'd privatise the NHS)
  • Options

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

It's certain to be four. I can only think of one possible candidate from each of the two main parties who doesn't fit your description and Anna Soubrey has no chance
    Something wrong with my eyes. I read Mr J’s post as ‘three second raters and the trot’!
    That's next time. Three second raters and the Trot on the trot
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,260

Roger said:

If Osborne had behaved with more class and humility since, like Portillo or Balls have, and shown he was the bigger man, his reputation might have rehabilitated and he'd be welcomed back with open arms.

Instead he's made "vengeance" his modus operandi, which says an awful lot about him.
    'Vengeance' and/or 'the truth' ?

Conservatives like Osborne and TSE have been proved right about May. Osborne's not responsible for the failure of the GE campaign, or the decision to hold it. Instead of shunning them, perhaps other Conservatives should be listening to them.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

It's just a bit boring.

I know you'll be tempted to say "Oh, look! A Leaver trying to escape responsibility!" etc. etc. but we've been here so so many times, and debated to death endlessly, that it's just a waste of everyone's time to engage on it anymore.
    You could make that point about almost any subject raised in here.

The NHS commitment remains relevant insofar as it is still a live issue how much financial benefit the NHS eventually receives, if Brexit ever proceeds to a conclusion. For if we do reach that point, you can bet that health funding will be prominent in the political debate.

The horses we should give up discussing are those that are completely dead as contemporary issues.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I think I'd largely agree with that.

The Coalition was constrained by a combination of dire finances and the necessary cross-party agreement, which also helped (aided by Cameron's own disposition) a return to Cabinet government over a sofa dictatorship and musical chairs for Cabinet posts.

Not a fan of Clegg's EU-philia, but he did take the right decision on entering government and mostly did it well.

On praising the Lib Dems: I was mildly surprised by yesterday's court decision that this wasn't already the case, but glad to see that gay people now get equal pension rights as straight people. Sir Steve Webb (damned shame he doesn't have a Cabinet post, heading up DWP would probably be very good) made the astute observation that now we need to make things equal for widowers (on an equal footing with widows) in straight marriage, as far as pensions go.

Shame Lamb isn't in government either. Or Alexander and Laws.

Yet we have a bloody far leftist leading Labour and the Conservatives facing a choice between the worst campaigner since Valerian and a range of second raters.

*sighs*

Anyway, back to work...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

This

It wasn't a lie though was it.

"Lets give £350m to the NHS" is a suggestion not a guarantee. It was made by a group of people that weren't in a position to deliver, but plenty of us thought it was a bloody good idea.

(Not me incidentally, I'd privatise the NHS)
    If you did privatise the NHS, it would cost more, so you'd have to give it the extra £350 million a week as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nice try to split the leave vote. ;)

The leave vote is already split

https://twitter.com/lsebrexitvote/status/885051874906443776
This discussion has been closed.