Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Corbyn surge has left the Lib Dems positioned largely

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Corbyn surge has left the Lib Dems positioned largely as an anti-Tory party

if("undefined"==typeof window.datawrapper)window.datawrapper={};window.datawrapper["9PL2R"]={},window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].embedDeltas={"100":719,"200":589,"300":563,"400":537,"500":537,"600":537,"700":537,"800":511,"900":511,"1000":511},window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].iframe=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-9PL2R"),window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].iframe.style.height=window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].embedDeltas[Math.min(1e3,Math.max(100*Math.floor(window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].iframe.offsetWidth/100),100))]+"px",window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if("undefined"!=typeof a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var b in a.data["datawrapper-height"])if("9PL2R"==b)window.datawrapper["9PL2R"].iframe.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][b]+"px"});

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Second like Labour?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

To be fair to Nick Timothy .....

Are these the most shocking words ever to be published on PB?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    If a week is a long time in politics, then six months is an eternity. No-one is going to seriously suggest another election this year, certainly no Conservative and after Christmas the landscape may be very different.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

If a week is a long time in politics, then six months is an eternity. No-one is going to seriously suggest another election this year, certainly no Conservative and after Christmas the landscape may be very different.

Indeed and there is a lot of trouble brewing up in the Labour party as the realisation that Corbyn didn't win sinks in. And of course I don't believe any polls anymore and that makes judging things more difficult. Next time round people will be taking a lot more interest in what David Herdson has to say about what's happening on the doorstep.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325

Indeed and there is a lot of trouble brewing up in the Labour party as the realisation that Corbyn didn't win sinks in. And of course I don't believe any polls anymore and that makes judging things more difficult. Next time round people will be taking a lot more interest in what David Herdson has to say about what's happening on the doorstep.
    Conservative Party HQ would certainly be well advised to take a lot more interest in what David Herdson has to say.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,328
    edited July 2017
    Seventh

We just need to hope that Vince can steady the ship and make an effective mentor for Swinson and the newer MPs. However, given his renowned self importance I am not overly hopeful that he won't enjoy being in charge rather too much to hand on after a year or two.

The one piece of better news is that it is hard to see either of the main parties rising toward 50% of the vote, which means that if they can position themselves better, the LDs stand to pick up support from whichever major party falls out of favour first.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited July 2017
    8th, like the Lie Dems, who aside from being an irrelevance, are neither liberal nor democratic, as illustrated by their desire to overturn the people's verdict on EU membership on 23/6/2016.

Do they even have 30 realistic target seats at the GE? If major boundary changes go ahead, they will be badly affected, as seat targetting will be much more difficult.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Lib Dems first need to be seen as relevant again, visible even. Vince Cable has box office appeal and so is well placed to help them make progress on this front.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I think the analysis that at this stage the LDs more than anything need relevance and airtime is right. Tim Farron wasn't really associated with the coalition much, but a fat lot of good that did him. This is partly down to his socially conservative views on issues such as abortion, and the controversy surrounding his stance on LGBT rights. But it is also down to the fact that Farron lack the presence and personality to really carve out a voice in the media for the LDs. As a result, the LDs remained by and large irrelevant post-coalition. Vince, as a high profile figure and someone with a bit of personality, can at least lead to a situation whereby there are a bit more people actually listening to what the LDs have to say in the first place. I'm not sure whether a lesser known name can really do that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Good morning, everyone.

Worth considering how this would go if either major party got a big lead. If the Conservatives decline then it seems natural the Lib Dems would prosper. But what if Labour declines?

The Conservative vote share remains high and they're led by someone unpopular who is unlikely to be there at the next election.
  • Options
    daodao said:

8th, like the Lie Dems, who aside from being an irrelevance, are neither liberal nor democratic, as illustrated by their desire to overturn the people's verdict on EU membership on 23/6/2016.

We, the people, made a decision, back in 1975, confirmed by the re-elections of Governments who actively co-operated in the development of the Community.
    Why is it wrong to overturn the ‘decision’, by a tiny majority, of last year when it was right to overturn the decision of 1975, which was by a much, much larger majority.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I see some people on here are getting very angry, they're emerging from their drug fuelled fantasy that Corbyn won the election and we're staying in the EU.

He didn't and we're not, it doesn't matter how much you claim otherwise.
  • Options

daodao said:

We, the people, made a decision, back in 1975, confirmed by the re-elections of Governments who actively co-operated in the development of the Community.
    Why is it wrong to overturn the ‘decision’, by a tiny majority, of last year when it was right to overturn the decision of 1975, which was by a much, much larger majority.
    There is no appetite for another referendum, despite the wailing from a few on here. Perhaps in 40 odd years time it might be justified.
  • Options

Conservative Party HQ would certainly be well advised to take a lot more interest in what David Herdson has to say.
    Indeed , but there are too many boneheads in the Tory party driven by dogma. Labour are not immune to this either. The Lib Dems go with the wind.
    Frankly I despair of our politicians, rarely, if ever, has the HOC been weaker.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

I see some people on here are getting very angry, they're emerging from their drug fuelled fantasy that Corbyn won the election and we're staying in the EU.

Rather flowery wording but it's true that Corbyn didn't win the election and Brexit is still happening. However, it was hardly an unmitigated success for the Tories, was it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

daodao said:

Well said, this 'will of the people' crap is nauseating. The Leavers won by a small amount and the government is doing what they wanted, but these Stalinists want to stop all dissent. It's that that is anti-democratic.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2017

I think the analysis that at this stage the LDs more than anything need relevance and airtime is right. Tim Farron wasn't really associated with the coalition much, but a fat lot of good that did him. This is partly down to his socially conservative views on issues such as abortion, and the controversy surrounding his stance on LGBT rights. But it is also down to the fact that Farron lack the presence and personality to really carve out a voice in the media for the LDs. As a result, the LDs remained by and large irrelevant post-coalition. Vince, as a high profile figure and someone with a bit of personality, can at least lead to a situation whereby there are a bit more people actually listening to what the LDs have to say in the first place. I'm not sure whether a lesser known name can really do that.

Lib Dems need Norman Lamb to reconsider. He has more realistic views on Brexit, and a better feel for why places like his own constituency voted as they did, but also has done sterling work on issues like social care and mental health.

He speaks with the passion and authenticity of Corbyn, but without the financial insanity or seedy past associates.

Coronating Cable is just treading water, and the party needs more than that.

• Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    Here is my take on the current position of parties.

Conservatives - went into an unnecessary early election, took the electorate for granted, issued an uncosted manifesto offering nothing new, apart from telling old people they were going to share more in austerity. Have a leader in Theresa May that is a stubborn robot, with an increasingly unhappy support team, who want to get on with the job, without Maybot saying 'strong and stable' or any other phrase that says nothing. Perhaps Maybots talents should have remained at the Home Office.

Labour - Jeremy Corbyn has managed with the help of Momentum to get Labour grassroots back up and running, with many young people now interested in politics as a way of helping them achieve a better life and changing the world. Labours manifesto was very expensive and required people to believe that others would pay tax to help the country. The Tories never really challenged Labour, as they were too busy with Maybots 'strong and stable'. As a party there is still a massive divide between Corbyns shadow cabinet/labour membership and most backbench Labour MP's. The question is whether Labour can unite as a party behind policies most MP's are happy to promote.

Lib Dems- The Lib Dems have been quietly rebuilding in parts of the country and doing quite well against the Tories. But they have been doing this without much money and without a leader that was well known throughout the country, The Lib Dems policies were never really discussed at the election, apart from being pro EU. Unfortunately, the media questionned whether Farron as a devout Christian could be a leader of a party, where his religious beliefs were totally opposite to his parties values. The question is whether Sir Vince as leader (if it happens) as a well known senior politician can motivate people around the country to become Lib Dem activists or at least vote Lib Dem where they can win.

UKIP- The Nigel Farage party are a cult without a personality. What is their point in existing at the moment, with the Brexit discussion dominated by everyone else apart from UKIP ? UKIP might have helped achieve Brexit in blaming anything negative on the EU, but following the triggering of Article 50, there is very little interest in what UKIP have got to say. Very few TV politics shows now invite UKIP to take part. They are not interested in UKIP, unless it is Nigel Farage, who no longer seems to want a role with UKIP.

SNP- Having lost many seats at the election to other parties, Nicola Sturgeon is no longer in such a strong position to argue indyref 2. The SNP seem to have lost their position as the 'effective opposition' to the Tories at Westminster. Because Labour now seem a much more powerful force and Corbyn is being taken seriously, the SNP have been sidelined a bit. This does not bode well for future Westminster elections, where SNP support might show a continuing decline, as people move back to Labour or Tories.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    The Labour leadership has made clear it doesn't want anti-Tory, anti-Brexit votes so they are now up for grabs. Could be good news for the LibDems.
  • Options

Rather flowery wording but it's true that Corbyn didn't win the election and Brexit is still happening. However, it was hardly an unmitigated success for the Tories, was it.
    It was a disaster for the tories.

My point is that this site contains an element that is capable of persuading itself that black is white which surprises me. I keep reading of increasingly odd scenarios where the tories will roll over. One oddbod suggested it will be when disenchanted MPs defect to UKIP.

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

Seventh

We just need to hope that Vince can steady the ship and make an effective mentor for Swinson and the newer MPs. However, given his renowned self importance I am not overly hopeful that he won't enjoy being in charge rather too much to hand on after a year or two.

The one piece of better news is that it is hard to see either of the main parties rising toward 50% of the vote, which means that if they can position themselves better, the LDs stand to pick up support from whichever major party falls out of favour first.

Notwithstanding the reality that all of life is temporary, has Vince ever stated that he is seeking the LibDem leadership on a 'temporary' basis?
  • Options

The Labour leadership has made clear it doesn't want anti-Tory, anti-Brexit votes so they are now up for grabs. Could be good news for the LibDems.

We'll find out in 2022
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    edited July 2017
    My dad'd just got round to watching the Vernon Bogdanor lecture and it has not aged well since 21 June. He talked about the 2017 election being "the revenge of the remainers". He didn't factor in Jeremy Corbyn...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Revisiting that question over whether there has been a shift on Brexit opinion or whether its re-weighting younger voters - and usual caveats about sub-samples, there appear to have been two changes - the younger not as vehemently anti-Brexit - but still the most anti-Brexit, while support for Brexit among the older has collapsed from a 2:1 margin to near parity:

Survation:

(Normal Weighting and LTV with undecided and refused removed)
    Imagine there was a referendum tomorrow with the question “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?” How would you vote?

Net Leave: 19 June - 1 July
    OA: -2 / -9
    18-34: -37 / -19
    35-54: -12 / -14
    55+ : +33 / +4
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Disappointed with the article by Sirena Bergman on why Corbyn isn't a feminist. I thought it would a very interesting take on why the Hard Left aren't actually very feminist. Instead, it's her having a go because Corbyn's being called an 'absolute boy' for half the article FFS. The Indy have gone down as paper so much in recent years. They used to be a moderate, socially liberal publication that was a much better read than the Guardian. Now, even the few Corbyn critical articles they publish are quite poor.

Thinking about it, it's really quite interesting how my generation has swung towards Corbyn to the extent they have. Two years ago, while more young voters tended to vote Labour, Labour did not have a monopoly on young voters to the extent they do now. On top of that prior to this GE, you had studies like this: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/faculty/social-sciences/news/young-britons-more-right-wing-previous-generations-1.678149 which basically concluded that young voters were fiscally conservative but socially liberal. So basically what we've seen at the last GE is many young voters vote for someone who is nowhere near fiscally conservative, and not that liberal either. Which rather says how badly the Tories have messed up in regard to younger voters more than anything else. In America, they have also found that Generation Z is fiscally conservative/socially liberal. However quite a few appear to be concluding that this means they will be Republicans, such as this recent article: http://nypost.com/2017/07/01/why-the-next-generation-after-millennials-will-vote-republican/

A conclusion I'm not sure about given that moderate Republicans don't really have a place in the GOP anymore. They've gone very hardline Conservative on social issues in recent years, and there appears to be an assumption that those views won't turn off Generation Zers. Also, not sure about them implying that having a good relationship with parents, a sceptical view of celebrity and fame, and not wanting to get yourself into tonnes of credit card means you're a Conservative. Gen Z sounds very libertarian minded more than anything else. A shame libertarian in the states had only Gary Johnson to vote for in 2016, with his Aleppo comments and all. I did find Bauer's comments on the Dems losing younger voters in swing states more interesting though - though I'm not sure about his conclusion that it's down to Gen Z voters. IIRC in an Atlantic article, I read a few months ago, the Dems losing points with younger voters in swing states was down to young millennial WWC voters going for Trump. I'd expect to see this demographic continue to go GOP for Gen Zers, too.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"Coronating Cable is just treading water, and the party needs more than that."

But that is what they will do. It's Brexitosis - their wits have gone. I would probably return to voting LD as the least of all evils (like many LD voters do) with Lamb as leader.

Alas, not to be.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Lib Dem seats and targets, ideal for tactical voting.
  • Options

Lib Dems need Norman Lamb to reconsider. He has more realistic views on Brexit, and a better feel for why places like his own constituency voted as they did, but also has done sterling work on issues like social care and mental health.

He speaks with the passion and authenticity of Corbyn, but without the financial insanity or seedy past associates.

I don't think Lamb will reconsider sadly. So Vince it is. The LDs need to avoid a coronation though.

I am interested though, as to why, despite considering his beliefs 'financial insanity' you're quite a fan of Corbyn.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

Seventh

Notwithstanding the reality that all of life is temporary, has Vince ever stated that he is seeking the LibDem leadership on a 'temporary' basis?
    No, it was an idea being advanced on his behalf when it looked like there might be a contest. Which is not reassuring. A sensible person might want to avoid the fate of Ming Campbell by planning how and when to hand over in advance; whether he is that person remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Ms Apocalypse,

We expect the young to be socially left-wing, and often economically left-wing (especially when so many go to university now). They will change.

In the late 1960s, I went to a demo in Grosvenor Square with many thousands of young committed left-wing activists. How many of those are now Jezzarites? Far fewer than you'd think. Probably more accountants than anarchists now.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

PeterC said:

IanB2 said:

Seventh

No, it was an idea being advanced on his behalf when it looked like there might be a contest. Which is not reassuring. A sensible person might want to avoid the fate of Ming Campbell by planning how and when to hand over in advance; whether he is that person remains to be seen.
    One would normally expect a newly elected leader to take his party into the next GE. Ageism is a deplorable thing, but Vince could be little shy of 80 by then. Is that not pushing the boundaries just a tiny bit too far?
  • Options

I don't think Lamb will reconsider sadly. So Vince it is. The LDs need to avoid a coronation though.

I am interested though, as to why, despite considering his beliefs 'financial insanity' you're quite a fan of Corbyn.
    I left the Labour party in 2004 after a decade of membership, and active campaigning in the GE of 97 and 01, over two issues: Labour war mongering and its NHS policy, in fairly equal measure. Corbyn's was right on both of these. I am also a longstanding opponent of Trident.

Corbyn is a cross between Wolfie Smith and Tom Good, both characters that I like, and recognise in myself.

• Options

daodao said:

There is no appetite for another referendum, despite the wailing from a few on here. Perhaps in 40 odd years time it might be justified.
    Agreed; ’the people’simply want the politicians to do what they were elected to do, and ‘run the country’. That’s not the Government; it’s the House of Commons.
    I suspectb that, apart from, ,to quote 'the wailing of a few’ there wouldn’t be too much fuss if said politicians came back in a couple of years time and said; ‘Sorry, Brexit is far too complicated and indeed dangerous. We’re not doing it.'
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

We expect the young to be socially left-wing, and often economically left-wing (especially when so many go to university now). They will change.

In the late 1960s, I went to a demo in Grosvenor Square with many thousands of young committed left-wing activists. How many of those are now Jezzarites? Far fewer than you'd think. Probably more accountants than anarchists now.

Tbf, my point was was that studies had found that young voters were actually quite fiscally conservative, as opposed to the stereotype of them being economically left-wing. Thus, in theory, Labour should not have won younger voters by the margin they did.

In regard to being socially left-wing - society on issues like abortion and LGBT rights has been trending in a more socially liberal direction since the 1990s, so I don't think young voters will suddenly become very socially conservative on these issues when they get older. The very recent Social Attitudes Survey backs up this trend.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2017

Revisiting that question over whether there has been a shift on Brexit opinion or whether its re-weighting younger voters - and usual caveats about sub-samples, there appear to have been two changes - the younger not as vehemently anti-Brexit - but still the most anti-Brexit, while support for Brexit among the older has collapsed from a 2:1 margin to near parity:

Survation:

(Normal Weighting and LTV with undecided and refused removed)
    Imagine there was a referendum tomorrow with the question “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?” How would you vote?

Net Leave: 19 June - 1 July
    OA: -2 / -9
    18-34: -37 / -19
    35-54: -12 / -14
    55+ : +33 / +4

We again make the mistake of taking polling and assuming it reflects reality.

Survation's final poll before the EU referendum had remain 3 per cent ahead - Leave won by 4. It may have got the general election right but that may not hold.

What was striking about the poll was also the huge differences by sex. Leave had a solid lead with men but remain had a large lead with women. I wonder what the causes of that are - of course women's share of the population increases in the older generations

If we believe this poll why are women shifting to remain - but men still backing leave?

And of course we have a Tory government and the voters overwhelmingly back leave. So why would the government change course and upset it's voters.

In the end it's academic - we had a referendum. Perhaps the question is better framed as we voted to leave should we hold a second referendum to reverse that.
  • Options
    Dr Fox,

"Corbyn is a cross between Wolfie Smith and Tom Good, both characters that I like, and recognise in myself"

I think you're right. Totally unsuitable for PM, but I'll concede well-meaning.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxinsox, was Smith or Good a friend of Hamas and Hezbollah?

Meanwhile, in free speech news:
    https://twitter.com/SergeantFrisky/status/881210406584365058

The risk of the far right comes from the suppression of understandable and genuine concerns being crushed by brute authority wielded by the ideologically politically correct. If there is no other avenue for such real concerns to be expressed, because mainstream politics (as per Rotherham) refuses to acknowledge or address them, then they'll go for more extreme routes.

We see this in the Netherlands, where many think Wilders goes too far, but they prefer, as it were, strong medicine to none at all.
  • Options

daodao said:

Agreed; ’the people’simply want the politicians to do what they were elected to do, and ‘run the country’. That’s not the Government; it’s the House of Commons.
    I suspectb that, apart from, ,to quote 'the wailing of a few’ there wouldn’t be too much fuss if said politicians came back in a couple of years time and said; ‘Sorry, Brexit is far too complicated and indeed dangerous. We’re not doing it.'
    "Wouldn't be too much fuss"

You seriously believe that if politicians say they can't be bothered to follow the will of the majority there "Wouldn't be too much fuss"?

I find myself shaking my head at this site most days. That said election predictions/outcomes show just how out of touch most on here are.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    edited July 2017

The biggest problem for labour, in my opinion, is that it has no underlying economic strategy and its greatest danger is being found out. A lot of its ideas fall apart when properly scrutinised. It looks to an intelligent observer as a party that wants to plunder the resources of the state (ie through borrowing) to improve living standards for its main constituency, ie young people, public sector workers, the trade unions. To that end it is no different really to the conservative party, who prioritised the retired, homeowners and first time buyers, although the tories were also stimulating consumption which created growth and an illusion of economic stability.

None of this ends well, it probably ends up in an economic crash landing/ bankruptcy /rejoining the EU on deeply unfavourable terms. That is where we seem to be headed.

As per my comments yesterday, but from my own perspective such a crash is actually in my economic self interest as whilst my living standards would probably fall (no more foreign holidays etc) it makes it more likely that I can afford to buy a house in a nice area. I rather suspect that this is the case for a large majority of people under 45, and almost every month that goes by more young people register to vote, and older people die. Peoples experience of economic growth over the last 20 years is simply that it enriches one part of society at the expense of the other, so in the end it doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

daodao said:

Hahaha.

Good luck with that suspicion.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Tour of Asia update - no Brexit fever anywhere other than Australia. Japan has a mild case, they want to see which path the British government takes, protectionist of open for trade. They hope for the latter, but think the former is more likely. Oddly, most of the people had a lot of sympathy for the protectionist route, but then again Japan is fairly protectionist. They hope that Japan and the UK can come to a free goods and services trade deal.

One person asked me why I voted to Leave, given that it brings so much uncertainty and turmoil. I explained that the EU goes beyond trade and it would be like Japan joining a 28 nation alliance in Asia, which has political power and is based in Seoul and despite being one of the major nations, you never really get your way despite paying $17bn per year in membership fees. He then understood, I think the knowledge of the EU outside of Europe is very limited, most people think it is like NAFTA or ASEAN, or a more integrated WTO for Europe. I just don't think they realise just how much power that nations hand over. I asked this guy whether he would ever vote for Japan to join anything like that in the future and he flatly declined in a "are you crazy" kind of way.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, hope you're having a nice time, and getting some splendid photos. Must be some great architecture and historical sites in Japan.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    edited July 2017

Mr. Max, hope you're having a nice time, and getting some splendid photos. Must be some great architecture and historical sites in Japan.

Do dull grey buildings full of (potential) investors count?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

I left the Labour party in 2004 after a decade of membership, and active campaigning in the GE of 97 and 01, over two issues: Labour war mongering and its NHS policy, in fairly equal measure. Corbyn's was right on both of these. I am also a longstanding opponent of Trident.

Corbyn is a cross between Wolfie Smith and Tom Good, both characters that I like, and recognise in myself.

Can we not tempt you back? Clearly Labour still has weaknesses, but without wanting to offend anyone it's the only major non-Tory in town.

I agree that the "funded" economic platform has some heroic assumptions (I've rarely seen a platform that didn't, from any party). Controversially, perhaps, I think you should feel reassured by McDonnell on that. Jeremy is a pure idealist and will struggle to bring himself to push for the unpleasant decisions affecting ordinary people that every government has to take. McDonnell really is not - he is less nice but tough, intelligent and very keen to make a left-wing government work - he vetoed a number of generous ideas before the election and will no doubt do so again. The team is basically heart and head and the strongest since Blair-Brown, without the personal vendetta to undermine it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Grenfell tower:

Here's what to do: put the RAIB or AAIB in charge of the investigation. They're about the only people I'd trust to produce a comprehensive, good and non-political report on the technicalities of what happened that we can move on from.

Any organisation involved with the building industry or standards is already too deeply within the mire.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that cliche is less true than ever. Youngsters are not moving into the homes and jobs for life that were part of that party shift with age, and social liberalism makes them far more open to other cultures than older folk. There is also the refusal to age phenomenon, where 30 and 40 something's hold onto the enthusiasms of their youth, including the politics.

There are other strands too that go in the opposite direction. In particular youngsters are much more materialistic in ambitions, though one should bear in mind that materialism does not mean Toryism. Socialism is a very materialistic philosophy that believes that the problem is the way materialist goods are distributed is the issue, rather than whether they matter.

Ms Apocalypse does have many Tory sympathetic ideas, I suspect she will soon be welcome at the PB Tory baby roast.
  • Options

Can we not tempt you back? Clearly Labour still has weaknesses, but without wanting to offend anyone it's the only major non-Tory in town.

I agree that the "funded" economic platform has some heroic assumptions (I've rarely seen a platform that didn't, from any party). Controversially, perhaps, I think you should feel reassured by McDonnell on that. Jeremy is a pure idealist and will struggle to bring himself to push for the unpleasant decisions affecting ordinary people that every government has to take. McDonnell really is not - he is less nice but tough, intelligent and very keen to make a left-wing government work - he vetoed a number of generous ideas before the election and will no doubt do so again. The team is basically heart and head and the strongest since Blair-Brown, without the personal vendetta to undermine it.
    Its obvious that for many people things aren't going too well, why is another discussion. In this scenario they'll vote for something appealing as opposed to more of the same. These people, mainly young, have yet to experience the failed economy that every Labour govt delivers and voted Corbyn.

The tory challenge is to explain this to the electorate, I'm not sure they can.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, no, alas.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that cliche is less true than ever. Youngsters are not moving into the homes and jobs for life that were part of that party shift with age, and social liberalism makes them far more open to other cultures than older folk. There is also the refusal to age phenomenon, where 30 and 40 something's hold onto the enthusiasms of their youth, including the politics.

There are other strands too that go in the opposite direction. In particular youngsters are much more materialistic in ambitions, though one should bear in mind that materialism does not mean Toryism. Socialism is a very materialistic philosophy that believes that the problem is the way materialist goods are distributed is the issue, rather than whether they matter.

Ms Apocalypse does have many Tory sympathetic ideas, I suspect she will soon be welcome at the PB Tory baby roast.
    I'm interested into what these many Tory sympathetic ideas are that I apparently have. In the last few days, I've basically been arguing that Labour need to be more socially liberal on the matter of Brexit, the defining issue of this generation for a start. It's your good self that has been very sympathetic to a Hard Brexiteer, whose view of Brexit is basically the same as the Right of the Conservative Party.

I suspect you will be soon welcome at the Corbynista get-together.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    daodao said:

Since both the Labour Party and the Conservatives are hell-bent on wrecking the economy, it is highly responsible of the Lib Dems to want to do everything possible to avert this. There are responsible people left in both the Labour and Tory parties. It would be in the country`s best interests if they broke away from the small groups who have taken over their two parties, who seem always to vote together nowadays, and come to the defence of the nation under the Lib Dem banner.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840

daodao said:

You seriously believe that if politicians say they can't be bothered to follow the will of the majority there "Wouldn't be too much fuss"?

I find myself shaking my head at this site most days. That said election predictions/outcomes show just how out of touch most on here are.
    Indeed.

Brexit is neither dangerous or too complicated to achieve if done competently.

If it doesn't happen there will be such discontent with the system which will have been proved beynd doubt to not be democratic. Remainers won't mind that of course as being in the EU requires democracy to be curtailed anyway.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that is the difference now. There aren't the same opportunities to get decent well paid jobs any more, jobs are insecure and short term, zero hours contracts are widespread, there is a large excess supply of graduates competing for jobs.

And then there is housing. You need to be earning £80k these days to think about buying a house in Dagenham - twenty years ago someone on the equivalent of minimum wage could have bought there. Average house prices are eight times average wages - and the average age of an FTB is late 30s.

The sort of aspirational issues that made people move from young socialism to voting Tory - getting a well paid job and getting a mortgage on a nice house just isn't available to many if not most young people.

Home owners vote Tory - private renters won't. Unless they solve the housing mess (which means letting prices fall through ending the Osborne props) it will finish the Tories in the medium term.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,767

McDonnell really is not - he is less nice but tough, intelligent and very keen to make a left-wing government work - he vetoed a number of generous ideas before the election and will no doubt do so again. The team is basically heart and head and the strongest since Blair-Brown, without the personal vendetta to undermine it.
    You could have said more or less the same about Mao.

All you are pointing out is the large gap in the centre of British politics. The idea that a team of Corbyn and McDonnell can appeal to pragmatic centrists' head or heart is an amusing notion.

• Options

Grenfell tower:

Here's what to do: put the RAIB or AAIB in charge of the investigation. They're about the only people I'd trust to produce a comprehensive, good and non-political report on the technicalities of what happened that we can move on from.

Any organisation involved with the building industry or standards is already too deeply within the mire.

That is a good idea, but unfortunately this has been too politicised as an expectation has been created that the victims will have their day in court. Too much of a game going on whereby various public authorities are trying to blame each other. Government has lost control of the narrative.

The whole thing has got out of control. Ultimately it is a disaster, like a plane crash, and before you can work out what actions to take in response you need to establish a cause.
  • Options

daodao said:

These two posts are of course squared if there were to be a second vote. Which is why, I suspect, there will be one, whatever people might choose to argue right now.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MaxPB said:

Tour of Asia update - no Brexit fever anywhere other than Australia. Japan has a mild case, they want to see which path the British government takes, protectionist of open for trade. They hope for the latter, but think the former is more likely. Oddly, most of the people had a lot of sympathy for the protectionist route, but then again Japan is fairly protectionist. They hope that Japan and the UK can come to a free goods and services trade deal.

Ask them about this

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/881286498896760832

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/881288430306689024

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/881293029918867456
  • Options
    #Marr is spot on; now Northern Ireland has a magic tree, everyone wants one of their own.
  • Options

It shouldn't be too hard, after all I left New Labour to the left, not the right!

I have a deeply ingrained dislike of debt, which is the biggest obstacle. Our children have enough burdens already with unaffordable housing, no pensions, student debt and an increasing dependency ratio. We should not add public debt to that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

McDonnell really is not - he is less nice but tough, intelligent and very keen to make a left-wing government work - he vetoed a number of generous ideas before the election and will no doubt do so again. The team is basically heart and head and the strongest since Blair-Brown, without the personal vendetta to undermine it.
    You could have said more or less the same about Mao.

All you are pointing out is the large gap in the centre of British politics. The idea that a team of Corbyn and McDonnell can appeal to pragmatic centrists' head or heart is an amusing notion.

Nigel. Don't you know? Those centrists are Tories soon to be going to a PB Tory Roast :smile:
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

These two posts are of course squared if there were to be a second vote. Which is why, I suspect, there will be one, whatever people might choose to argue right now.
    Democracy EU-style. Keep voting until the right answer is given.

If you support or acquiesce with this you are not a democrat.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that is the difference now. There aren't the same opportunities to get decent well paid jobs any more, jobs are insecure and short term, zero hours contracts are widespread, there is a large excess supply of graduates competing for jobs.

And then there is housing. You need to be earning £80k these days to think about buying a house in Dagenham - twenty years ago someone on the equivalent of minimum wage could have bought there. Average house prices are eight times average wages - and the average age of an FTB is late 30s.

The sort of aspirational issues that made people move from young socialism to voting Tory - getting a well paid job and getting a mortgage on a nice house just isn't available to many if not most young people.

Home owners vote Tory - private renters won't. Unless they solve the housing mess (which means letting prices fall through ending the Osborne props) it will finish the Tories in the medium term.
    There is a generation of maturing aspirational converts from socialism to conservatism, but not in enough numbers to work for the conservative party.

Basically if you have a 100k hand down from your parents you can buy a nice house on a low rate mortgage and you are basically set.

But this situation doesn't apply to the majority of young people.
  • Options

One vote good, two votes baaaaad.

Funny idea of democracy...
  • Options

It shouldn't be too hard, after all I left New Labour to the left, not the right!

I have a deeply ingrained dislike of debt, which is the biggest obstacle. Our children have enough burdens already with unaffordable housing, no pensions, student debt and an increasing dependency ratio. We should not add public debt to that.
    Which is of course why everything Labour promises will turn to dust. Nick's argument that you have to vote Labour because the system has marginalised all other non-Tory voices is pitifully weak; if Labour genuinely believed in pluralism it would have kept its promise to change the system when it had the chance.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

IanB2 said:

daodao said:

Democracy EU-style. Keep voting until the right answer is given.

It would only happen if there is clear evidence of a major shift in public opinion. Allowing this an expression would be very democratic.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Student debt isn't debt, its just a personalised graduate tax that allows for a feedback mechanism to the supplier about the quality of their product.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

Your suspicion is not as great as your hope.

Please price up the odds on a Referendum being held in the next 5 years or so in order that the punters on here can relieve you of money.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which is of course why everything Labour promises will turn to dust. Nick's argument that you have to vote Labour because the system has marginalised all other non-Tory voices is pitifully weak; if Labour genuinely believed in pluralism it would have kept its promise to change the system when it had the chance.
    +1.

Parties who win with FPTP sadly never change the system, even when they've promised to. See Trudeau in Canada, for example.

To many of us who do not like TMay's Conservative Party, there are still many flaws with the Labour Party right now.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited July 2017
    There is a large pro Remain middle ground in parliament and outside without a party to represent it. A large parliamentary grouping with 54% public support-and rising-and whose core opposition has effectively disappeared. The only thing standing in its way is the receding memory of a referendum result.

Chuka Ummuna briefy touched its erogenous zone last week exciting 100 MPs despite some brutal whipping

There is a cross party baton to be picked up and a youth movement waiting to be mobilized. I find it very difficult to imagine some ambitious MP/MPs not picking it up during the next two years as the referendum becomes more distant and we get bogged down in some really heavy sludge.

Could it involve the Lib Dems? After soiling themselves from 2010-2015 it's difficult to imagine but under new leadership they are at least likely to get a hearing..
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I'm interested into what these many Tory sympathetic ideas are that I apparently have. In the last few days, I've basically been arguing that Labour need to be more socially liberal on the matter of Brexit, the defining issue of this generation for a start. It's your good self that has been very sympathetic to a Hard Brexiteer, whose view of Brexit is basically the same as the Right of the Conservative Party.

Caricaturing the views of other PB posters is a long standing custom, and I don't think that you are yet signed up to the dark side!

My view on Brexit is the same as Tusk's "There is only hard Brexit or no Brexit".

I think our country needs proper preparation for that hard Brexit in concrete form such as posting WTO tariffs as the UK default, recruiting customs officers in their thousands and seeking planning permission for large customs parks on our borders with Ireland and the continent.

We risk turning hard Brexit into car crash Brexit by arguing the toss over trivialities. We cannot leave the customs union without building customs posts.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

Caricaturing the views of other PB posters is a long standing custom, and I don't think that you are yet signed up to the dark side!

My view on Brexit is the same as Tusk's "There is only hard Brexit or no Brexit".

I think our country needs proper preparation for that hard Brexit in concrete form such as posting WTO tariffs as the UK default, recruiting customs officers in their thousands and seeking planning permission for large customs parks on our borders with Ireland and the continent.

We risk turning hard Brexit into car crash Brexit by arguing the toss over trivialities. We cannot leave the customs union without building customs posts.
    I can't say I've been aware of that tradition :smile:

I have to say, I can't recall you expressing that view on Brexit pre-GE, but if that's the way you see Brexit, then that's the way you see it.

For the sake of the country I hope we make the best of this situation. But I have my doubts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    daodao said:

Do they even have 30 realistic target seats at the GE? If major boundary changes go ahead, they will be badly affected, as seat targetting will be much more difficult.

You know, I campaigned for Our on here, and there is nothing undemocratic about campaigning on a "we changed our mind" platform. It isn't something I'd vote for, but to me, people who say that political parties should have their manifestos vetted for acceptability are the true anti democrats.
  • Options

Labour is no longer interested in anti-Tory votes. It only wants votes for socialism. The Labour leadership has made that absolutely clear.

• Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Roger said:

There is a large pro Remain middle ground in parliament and outside without a party to represent it. A large parliamentary grouping with 54% public support-and rising-and whose core opposition has effectively disappeared. The only thing standing in its way is the receding memory of a referendum result.

Chuka Ummuna briefy touched its erogenous zone last week exciting 100 MPs despite some brutal whipping

There is a cross party baton to be picked up and a youth movement waiting to be mobilized. I find it very difficult to imagine some ambitious MP/MPs not picking it up during the next two years as the referendum becomes more distant and we get bogged down in some really heavy sludge.

Could it involve the Lib Dems? After soiling themselves from 2010-2015 it's difficult to imagine but under new leadership they are at least likely to get a hearing..

Ummuna & ilk are doing a disservice to their party and the UK.

There is only hard Brexit or no Brexit. The important objectives of the negotiations with the EU27 are to get a move on and settle the divorce terms, and then agree sensible future trading arrangements outwith the Single Market and Customs Union.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Tusk: "There is only hard Brexit or no Brexit".
    The adjective is redundant .
  • Options
    Regardless of Brexit I do believe we're heading for a property crash, as history proves its inevitable
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

At a personal level, I've got a reasonable answer to that - I've been an active, pulbic supporter of PR all my life, including when I was in Parliament. But I appreciate that my personal views aren't relevant to what actually happens. I tend to think that parties that get into power on one system do lose the urge to change it. There is probably a decent chance of PR at local level sometime when a coalition needs it (I think the LIbDems could have got that off the Tories instead of AV if they'd asked), since the councils with 100% from one party are obviously not sensible. If it worked well, that might change opinion nationally too.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that cliche is less true than st.

I have to say, I can't recall you expressing that view on Brexit pre-GE, but if that's the way you see Brexit, then that's the way you see it.

For the sake of the country I hope we make the best of this situation. But I have my doubts.
    Since July last year I have supported hard Brexit as the least worse option. Soft Brexit is a chimera, and would just bring the Europhobes back, and I think the Brexit vote has to be respected.

After a period of hard Brexit I think that the mood in the UK would swing in the direction of EEA membership, but the route there is from outside the EU not directly.

I think Brexit is a wilful act of self harm comparable to Suez, but the risk to our democracy of not going through with it is even graver.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    @NickPalmer "There is probably a decent chance of PR at local level"
    – Holyrood uses STV.
  • Options

That's a strong argument, and I think one can add the ticking bomb of the gigantic trade deficit which appears to worry nobody but which is quietly transferring our asset base overseas. Are the LibDems very keen on deficit reduction? The Tories seem to have joined the "we'll get round to it sometime, or grow our way out of it" camp. It's not obvious to me that any of the parties are particularly concerned about either these days, so I'd argue that that alone shouldn't stop you rejoining the throng - you only get a real surge towards principled idealism once in a generation, and it seems a pity to sit it out.
  • Options

After a period of hard Brexit I think that the mood in the UK would swing in the direction of EEA membership, but the route there is from outside the EU not directly.

I think Brexit is a wilful act of self harm comparable to Suez, but the risk to our democracy of not going through with it is even graver.

The problem with that is that hard Brexit is going to be so economically damaging it will be hard to recover
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

With May running negotiations, that might be true.

If it is, even two years of determined preparation as you suggest aren't going to do a great deal to mitigate the economic damage. And just as significantly, it's an outcome the probably has at best the support of 30% of the electorate.
    UK politics is an unmitigated mess at the moment.
  • Options

That's a strong argument, and I think one can add the ticking bomb of the gigantic trade deficit which appears to worry nobody but which is quietly transferring our asset base overseas. Are the LibDems very keen on deficit reduction? The Tories seem to have joined the "we'll get round to it sometime, or grow our way out of it" camp. It's not obvious to me that any of the parties are particularly concerned about either these days, so I'd argue that that alone shouldn't stop you rejoining the throng - you only get a real surge towards principled idealism once in a generation, and it seems a pity to sit it out.
    Nick, you know I respect your views without normally agreeing.

I think you'd need to explain how Corbyn's Labour would address the trade deficit.
  • Options

I am really struggling to see the principled idealism in Labour's position on Brexit, which is after all the biggest issue facing this country by far.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    daodao said:

The important objectives of the negotiations with the EU27 are to get a move on and settle the divorce terms, and then agree sensible future trading arrangements outwith the Single Market and Customs Union.

You realise there is a gap of at least ten years between the first and the second of those objectives? What fills it?

The only thing that matters for us in the Article 50 talks is maintaining continuity. AKA transition arrangements. We need a plausible final destination for those continuity arrangements. ie the closer the final destination is to what we have already the more continuity we get. Not Leaving at all gives the greatest continuity. Just saying. We also need to bite the bullet on citizen rights, payments and Ireland to get to square one on the continuity arrangements part of the talks.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Post Election, Labour have been disappointing. Could have been a fresh start. It wasn't.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

I think that cliche is less true than st.
    I'm interested into what these many Tory sympathetic ideas

Since July last year I have supported hard Brexit as the least worse option. Soft Brexit is a chimera, and would just bring the Europhobes back, and I think the Brexit vote has to be respected.

At what point does it become democratically unacceptable to ignore the views of the majority opposed to that kamikaze Brexit ?
    There is as yet no obvious means that majority might be demonstrated in a national vote, but it's becoming increasingly clear that most of the country doesn't want that hard Brexit, however inevitable you might think it.

What is absolutely undeniable is that the referendum was not fought on those terms.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

Excess house prices is only a London , South East issue. The rest of the country prices are stagnant at best if not lower than 2008.
  • Options

I am really struggling to see the principled idealism in Labour's position on Brexit, which is after all the biggest issue facing this country by far.

It is the hallmark of idealists to ignore uncomfortable realities.
  • Options

I have very old school Presbyterian aversions to debt. I don't like it personally, or nationally. It is the chains of debt that denies us the freedom to develop as individuals or society. It is debt that keeps the workers as serfs to the capitalists. There is no better freedom than being free of debt.

I think that the LD's had the soundest economic policy in the GE, though was impressed by John McDonnell, who I find rather witty and charming albeit in a different style to Corbyns.

Off out to church shortly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

daodao said:

Hahaha.

Good luck with that suspicion.

The Duke of Monmouth led a rebellion to bring back the true religion, after politics had moved on, and look where that got him.

Although the idea of Boris being dragged through Traitors Gate had a certain appeal.
  • Options

As an EU enthusiast I'm not the best person to answer, but I think Labour's response would be that they're putting substance (exactly what our future relations are, whether it affects workers' rights, whether it obstructs trade, whether it reduces standards, what the rules are for migration, whether it gives us freedom to subsidise industries in transition) over form (whether we are formally full members). Corbyn believes - rightly IMO - that the idea of cancelling the whole withdrawal or having a fresh referendum is a distraction that just won't happen, but that there will be a deal in the end, and that our entire attention should be on the nature of that deal.

I'd agree that that's pragmatic rather than idealistic in this case, but it needs to be in this critical situation.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Jonathan said:

Post Election, Labour have been disappointing. Could have been a fresh start. It wasn't.

How could it be a fresh start? If Corbyn's there nothing will change, and. If he isn't there nothing will change. Momentum have the balls of the Labour party in their grasp.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

As an EU enthusiast I'm not the best person to answer, but I think Labour's response would be that they're putting substance (exactly what our future relations are, whether it affects workers' rights, whether it obstructs trade, whether it reduces standards, what the rules are for migration, whether it gives us freedom to subsidise industries in transition) over form (whether we are formally full members). Corbyn believes - rightly IMO - that the idea of cancelling the whole withdrawal or having a fresh referendum is a distraction that just won't happen, but that there will be a deal in the end, and that our entire attention should be on the nature of that deal.

I'd agree that that's pragmatic rather than idealistic in this case, but it needs to be in this critical situation.
    Corbyn is very disappointing on Europe.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited July 2017
    Jonathan said:

Agree. They believed their own hype. It's difficult to believe they haven't reached their high watermark. They're unlikely to face someone as ill prepared and incompetent as Mrs May again and Corbyn/McDonnell are making themselves less attractive by the day.

(though not to everyone)

http://g8fip1kplyr33r3krz5b97d1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/GettyImages-693064906-1-1160x773.jpg
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

brendan16 said:

CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

Excess house prices is only a London , South East issue. The rest of the country prices are stagnant at best if not lower than 2008.
    I agree, even in a place like Leicester with a growing population, affordability is reasonable and prices unchanged in a decade.
  • Options

I think you'd need to explain how Corbyn's Labour would address the trade deficit.
    Yes, that's a good question. The cheap answer is "Wouldn't be any more crap than successive governments have been up to now". A more constructive answer would be "We will attempt to rebalance the economy with a greater emphasis on domestic production", but I'm not especially prsuaded of that myself. As I said downthread, I don't actually think any party is paying proper attention to the trade deficit, and probably a continued downward drift in sterling is nature's answer to that whoever is in power.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763

I agree with your points. I have never thought EEA/Soft Brexit will work for the UK. It's not even clear it's on offer from the EU. However, if you see a child walking towards danger you rush out and pull him back. You don't think, it would be a good idea for him to find out the risks the hard way. We need try for EEA in my view, despite it probably not working.

I am happy for us to change our mind on Brexit, which at the very best has no practical benefits for us, doesn't solve a single real problem and will be a massive distraction from dealing with those problems. But we are nowhere near having a collective change of heart. We're pretty much all in denial.

• Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Its obvious that for many people things aren't going too well, why is another discussion. In this scenario they'll vote for something appealing as opposed to more of the same. These people, mainly young, have yet to experience the failed economy that every Labour govt delivers and voted Corbyn.

The tory challenge is to explain this to the electorate, I'm not sure they can.
    If I can just butt into a private conversation. It is very noticeable that a breakdown, by age, of recent Labour joinees gives an even spread over all ages, with only a slightly lower rate after 70. It may be that these recent joinees have refound Labour after Iraq or it could be they are converts, I don't know, but I really don't think its true that young oeople will see the capitalist light when they mature!
    Miss Acopolypse is a bit of an outlier, morphing from Corbynite to baby eater in the space of a year. I find it a bit strange to be honest.
  • Options

Yes, that's a good question. The cheap answer is "Wouldn't be any more crap than successive governments have been up to now". A more constructive answer would be "We will attempt to rebalance the economy with a greater emphasis on domestic production", but I'm not especially prsuaded of that myself. As I said downthread, I don't actually think any party is paying proper attention to the trade deficit, and probably a continued downward drift in sterling is nature's answer to that whoever is in power.
    Along with the debt its the elephant in the room that no party dare discuss, to the detriment of the nation. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Corbyn will never get a better chance than June 8th.

It was Brown who ended boom and bust, the other bloke who left a note saying all the money had gone. The next election will be all about the economy, the tories will guarantee that, as usual Labour will fall short.
This discussion has been closed.