Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tactical voting didn’t win it for the Scottish Tories

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

daodao said:

James Chapman is running into the Brexit patriots early this morning by having the temerity to point out that some of Theresa May's red lines may be actively counterproductive. It's that kind of willingness to consider unwelcome points by the Leavers that enables the rest of us to make an accurate assessment of the likelihood that Brexit will be successful.

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/influence over UK laws or people residing in the UK.
    b) The UK has full control over its borders (including immigration) without any interference by the EU.
    c) The UK determines its own tariffs and trading arrangements without any interference by the EU.

If that is considered a hard Brexit, so be it.

daodao said:

James Chapman is running into the Brexit patriots early this morning by having the temerity to point out that some of Theresa May's red lines may be actively counterproductive. It's that kind of willingness to consider unwelcome points by the Leavers that enables the rest of us to make an accurate assessment of the likelihood that Brexit will be successful.

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/influence over UK laws or people residing in the UK.
    b) The UK has full control over its borders (including immigration) without any interference by the EU.
    c) The UK determines its own tariffs and trading arrangements without any interference by the EU.

Brexit "requires" nothing other than we leave the EU

Strange how you guys couldn't give us any details of what Brexit meant during the referendum - I remember that "it's up mot the government to decide" coming up a lot - but now you seem to know exactly what it all means.
    even stranger how the cream of Britain's politicians couldnt get details from them

I guess maybe they werent that good after all

outwitted by a cut price George Formby impersonator
    Why don't you occasionally address the point instead of shouting "look squirrel" ?
    I fail to see you have a point bar sour grapes

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,402

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

This is what I find so amusing. After months of saying "it's not up to us, guv, to determine what Brexit looks like, there was no Leave Manifesto; it's up to the government", Brexiters can't wait to say exactly what Brexit should or shouldn't be.
    r thing, a matter for HM Gov / Parliament.
    The ballot paper implied nothing. It asked a direct question, 'in or out.' So if it's Out, it's out whetever, regardless of consequences or conditions. Doesn't matter if Brexit is hard, soft, or half-baked - as long as we are no longer in the EU at the end of it, job done.
    snip
    I'm a Remainer but there's nothing Hokey-Cokey about me, mate. We voted Out, we leave, we stay out, and we live with it as best we can. That is also the view of a great many who voted like me.

You can't keep calling referendums to test whether the temparture of the water has changed.
    This is my problem with the whole referendum thing. There is no way that the 52-48 split represents the settled will of the people, in the way the Scottish devolution referendum did.

There should have been a threshold.
    Well, would have been better but best would have been for our elected representatives to do what they were elected to do and govern in what they perceived to be our best interests.
    That's what they are doing
    Before the referendum, there was a substantial Parliamentary majority in favour of remaining. It shirked its responsibilities.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    FF43 said:

The ECJ won't judge on purely domestic law. The question is how our relationship with the EU will be redressed and how these three issues get resolved:

1. The same law is applied in the same way both in the UK and in the EU.
    2. The EU won't change the way it does things to accommodate the UK. They will decide their own law and it will be regulated by the ECJ.
    3. There is no extraterritorial reach of the ECJ into UK law.

The three requirements are strictly incompatible. Theresa May would prefer to do without the relationship than compromise on 3.

Obviously number 1 is the one that should fall. EU law shouldn't apply in the UK after we Leave the EU any more than Australian or Malawian law does now.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

This is what I find so amusing. After months of saying "it's not up to us, guv, to determine what Brexit looks like, there was no Leave Manifesto; it's up to the government", Brexiters can't wait to say exactly what Brexit should or shouldn't be.
    The ballot paper implied nothing. It asked a direct question, 'in or out.' So if it's Out, it's out whetever, regardless of consequences or conditions. Doesn't matter if Brexit is hard, soft, or half-baked - as long as we are no longer in the EU at the end of it, job done.
    snip
    I'm a Remainer but there's nothing Hokey-Cokey about me, mate. We voted Out, we leave, we stay out, and we live with it as best we can. That is also the view of a great many who voted like me.

You can't keep calling referendums to test whether the temparture of the water has changed.
    This is my problem with the whole referendum thing. There is no way that the 52-48 split represents the settled will of the people, in the way the Scottish devolution referendum did.

Well, would have been better but best would have been for our elected representatives to do what they were elected to do and govern in what they perceived to be our best interests.
    Before the referendum, there was a substantial Parliamentary majority in favour of remaining. It shirked its responsibilities.
    Nah, complacency got the better of them. They thought they'd win easily and end the issue forever.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

No it didn't. Parliament approved a referendum.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,133
    So where were you when the Lions beat the All Blacks in their own back yard? :D:D:D
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

F1: I was just skimming my Austrian blogs from the last few races (remarkable there have been so many, feels like it was only added last year). Mildly amused one included a line about not much passing, and another that there was tons of passing.

Still feel like I don't know the circuit very well, although straight line speed is king.

I can also recommend playing F1 videogames to get a feel for circuits. Very good for giving impressions of run-off, elevation changes and so on, much better than TV viewing. I haven't played one for a few years, as I tend to knacker controllers (my thumbs are evidently too powerful) but when I did it was very useful indeed.

Which games do you recommend? And on which platform?

I've just had a look on Steam and I see that F1 2016 is currently €15 on sale from €50 at the moment but as I recall you aren't a PC gamer.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,885
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

What I find so amusing is how people like you can't grasp what Brexit requires. That list is implicit in LEAVING THE EU. If any of those items is not the case then Brexit simply has not occured. Other matters of policy are another thing, a matter for HM Gov / Parliament.
    Leave or Remain, actually. But either way - the Hokey Cokey Brexit favoured by Remainers won't wash. Unless we have control of our borders and sovereignty to make laws (including on trade standards) then how will we have put anymore than our Right Leg Out, and how are we to be reassured that a future inept Remainer government won't put it back in again?
    Hokey Cokey is the consequence of what we voted for. I, for one, was trying to tell people that a year ago. I don't think soft Brexit will work either, but once you eliminate the sensible, whatever remains, no matter how nonsensical, must be our way forward.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Interesting how since last June 22nd how the Remain message has moved from

You're all nutters and we're staying in the EU to

You're all nutters and it won't happen because we'll have another referendum to

You're all nutters and it won't happen anyway to

You're all nutters it will be a disaster

Ever heard the expression "He who laughs last laughs longest" ?

You might want to hold off on your gloating for a little while yet.

And what are you going to be laughing at?

OllyT said:

People like you trying to explain why everything that happens for the next few years has nothing to do with Brexit
    Such as?

Please be specific
    Duh! By definition they haven't happened yet, we don't leave till 2019.

You could of course practice by telling us how the devaluation of sterling since June 2016 has nothing to do with Brexit. Should give us a laugh if nothing else.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

FF43 said:

The ECJ won't judge on purely domestic law. The question is how our relationship with the EU will be redressed and how these three issues get resolved:
    2. The EU won't change the way it does things to accommodate the UK. They will decide their own law and it will be regulated by the ECJ.
    The three requirements are strictly incompatible. Theresa May would prefer to do without the relationship than compromise on 3.

Obviously number 1 is the one that should fall. EU law shouldn't apply in the UK after we Leave the EU any more than Australian or Malawian law does now.
    How about USA law?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,371
    Get in there....
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Mr. Punter, I have some sympathy with that view on holding a referendum, and it chimes somewhat with my own view of debates (distilling complex matters down to a media soundbite).

However, presumably you'd agree that for certain matters (changing the voting system, for example) a referendum is necessary for a decision to have democratic legitimacy?

Do you think, on a purely theoretical basis, that leaving the EU would've been done better had it been a straight manifesto commitment? (Ie Party A says "Vote for us and we leave, no referendum", then gets a majority).

I also share your view about populism, and that's one of the reasons I think entrenching political divisions by proposed regional assemblies in England is the work of Satan.

Referendums have their place in Parliamentary democracies, Morris, so yes I'm generally in agreement with you on this.

They probably work best when there are simple, clear cut issues which the electorate can easily grasp and preferably do not have the kind of long-term consequences that cannot be easily unwound if things work out badly and/or the public changes its views. It also helps if you have a sophisticated and politically alert electorate, and a Media that presents matters fairly and squarely.

I'll leave you to assess the extent to which these conditions applied in the EU rerendum.

As regards your point about Manifesto Commitment, I couldn't agree more. If any Party had Leaving The EU in its Manifesto and been elected with an overall majority, its authority to take us out would have absolute - no referendum necessary.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Mr. M, the ones I had were going back a few years (2012/2013, I think).

F1 2016 has very good ratings on Amazon, so may well be worth a look.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

No ... they could sense that they weren't in touch with long term public opinion.

They couldn't bring themselves to agree with the public so the only way to square that circle was to ask the people directly.
  • Options
    @tig86

Yep, twice in a year a Conservative PM has done that.

Proves what happens when politicians take us for granted
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

Strange how you guys couldn't give us any details of what Brexit meant during the referendum - I remember that "it's up mot the government to decide" coming up a lot - but now you seem to know exactly what it all means.
    even stranger how the cream of Britain's politicians couldnt get details from them

Why don't you occasionally address the point instead of shouting "look squirrel" ?

Failing to see the point is your USP.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

People like you trying to explain why everything that happens for the next few years has nothing to do with Brexit
    Such as?

Please be specific

You could of course practice by telling us how the devaluation of sterling since June 2016 has nothing to do with Brexit. Should give us a laugh if nothing else.
    No hang on, you said:

"People like you trying to explain why everything that happens for the next few years has nothing to do with Brexit"

What things? Its a straightforward question

• Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Such as?

Please be specific
    636 days 1 hour 25 minutes
  • Options

FF43 said:

Then there won't be a relationship. The Swiss bilaterals are like that, but the EU realised they made a big mistake. Swiss companies and individuals can sue German partners in a German court on EU law but Germans can't sue Swiss partners on an identical basis. As the EU are calling the shots they will make sure not to repeat the mistake with the UK.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,973
    felix said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Tactical voting certainly did do it for the Tories in Aberdeen South. A relative of mine who I have just visited voted Tory for the first time in her life and indeed campaigned with other like minded Labour supporters who were anti nationalist to do the same.

Fuuny how easy it is for people like Roger to debunk Mr Herdson's carefully worked analysis supported by the stats with the irrefutable evidence of " a relative of mine" !
    Normally I'd agree with you but in this instance I've got a lot of inside knowledge. I knew for example before the vote that it was very likely to go Tory when the polls were saying something different.
    Hmmmmm. Never mind - at least living in the south of France with the bulwark of Macron to protect against all and sundry you are insulated from all of the world's demagogues. Are you planning to join president Trump in attending the July 14 celebrations this year?
    I don't live in the South of France I have a home there
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

@tig86

Yep, twice in a year a Conservative PM has done that.

Proves what happens when politicians take us for granted

I was actually thinking of remainer MPs (of all parties) who voted for the referendum. But yes, Cameron tried to get it over and done with too quickly.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    HYUFD said:

Oh good

after a year remainers have moved on from anger to bargaining, only two to go

We all know it's an unfolding and unmitigated disaster so we're not wasting any mental energy on it. Watching Leavers tie themselves in knots as they writhe in their self-contradictions is a harmless amusement.
    What is really being trashed over the next 18 months is Britains reputation as a pragmatic and competent government and civil service. I never thohght it a justified reputation, but the witless incompetence that we exhibit to the world is astonishing.
    Frankly, we're becoming a laughing stock.
    Given the US just elected Trump and almost saw Sanders beat Hillary, a third of the French voted for Marine Le Pen and a comedian may well be elected PM of Italy next year on current polls I don't think the rest of the western world is in much position to laugh at the UK at the moment either!
    Italy already elected a "comedian" several years ago - Silvio!
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, the only problem I can see with that is that a (retrospective, but still) referendum occurred upon our joining the then EEC, so it could be argued the absence of a referendum upon leaving diminished the legitimacy of it and left the door open for a retrospective leaving referendum.

Mr. M, forgot to mention, I am but a lowly console peasant, so I played on the PS3.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Mr. M, the ones I had were going back a few years (2012/2013, I think).

F1 2016 has very good ratings on Amazon, so may well be worth a look.

Yes, the bundle of all those (2011, 12, 14, 15 16) and Race Stars is available for €39.33 but I'm not going to go that far.

I'll dip my toe in the water for the 2016 version at the sale price. Thanks for the tip. Let's see if it improves my betting form!

Edit after your next comment: I recalled after posting that the PS3 was your console of choice. I have a PS4 in a cupboard, unloved and unused. With apologies I did consoles a fair try but I really prefer PC gaming.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

No ... they could sense that they weren't in touch with long term public opinion.

They couldn't bring themselves to agree with the public so the only way to square that circle was to ask the people directly.
    That's a viewpoint, Geoff, but I suspect the more substantive issue was Cameron's inability to deal with the Eurosceptic wing of his Party.

Who knows for sure though?
  • Options

Mr. Punter, the only problem I can see with that is that a (retrospective, but still) referendum occurred upon our joining the then EEC, so it could be argued the absence of a referendum upon leaving diminished the legitimacy of it and left the door open for a retrospective leaving referendum.

Mr. M, forgot to mention, I am but a lowly console peasant, so I played on the PS3.

Mr Dancer, you remain as ever one of the fairest posters on PB and that is a fair point. Wish I could debate it further with you, but I have a long journey ahead and have to depart soon.

A bientot.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    edited July 2017

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

What I find so amusing is how people like you can't grasp what Brexit requires. That list is implicit in LEAVING THE EU. If any of those items is not the case then Brexit simply has not occured. Other matters of policy are another thing, a matter for HM Gov / Parliament.
    Says you. Says @daodao.

Nothing in any official document agrees with you. We can leave the EU, indeed are about to, and submit ourselves to the ECJ, the EFTA Court, or the new one that is being mooted to opine on EU citizens in the UK, should we so wish.

We will still have left the EU.

When we pointed to the Leave Manifesto, you all said - nah, it's up to the government. So now you don't agree with that position and are creating all kinds of "actually this means leave" elements.

And that is amusing.
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    Funny, we had a British strawberry industry before we entered the EU - on the backs of child labour - I was one of them!
    As a kid back in the 80s I remember going to some of the farms on the Essex/London border near Upminster when we picked our own!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Such as?

Please be specific
    636 days 1 hour 25 minutes
    Enjoy. Have a big street party in Gibraltar ,if you can find anyone who shares your enthusiasm that is, some of the 4% must still be alive and kicking.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

First, like Corbyn.

You are Diane Abbott in disguise!
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, kind of you to say so. Hope you have a pleasant sojourn.

On Cameron, I think he simply underestimated the prospect of a majority and thought he'd barter away the referendum. We did have six months of polls level-pegging.

Mr. M, I get that. PCs are more flexible and powerful. I prefer the lower cost and greater convenience of consoles.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Lions 24 All Blacks 21. Well done the Lions!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Telegraph on the increasingly scary cult of Corbyn. Brilliant. "Please let it be over soon."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/jeremy-corbyn-developing-cult-personality-terrifying/

Remind me again which party started the last general election campaign downplaying the party name and relegating the other prominent figures to the role of members of the leader's team.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318

HYUFD said:

Oh good

after a year remainers have moved on from anger to bargaining, only two to go

We all know it's an unfolding and unmitigated disaster so we're not wasting any mental energy on it. Watching Leavers tie themselves in knots as they writhe in their self-contradictions is a harmless amusement.
    What is really being trashed over the next 18 months is Britains reputation as a pragmatic and competent government and civil service. I never thohght it a justified reputation, but the witless incompetence that we exhibit to the world is astonishing.
    Frankly, we're becoming a laughing stock.
    Given the US just elected Trump and almost saw Sanders beat Hillary, a third of the French voted for Marine Le Pen and a comedian may well be elected PM of Italy next year on current polls I don't think the rest of the western world is in much position to laugh at the UK at the moment either!
    Italy already elected a "comedian" several years ago - Silvio!
    Who may also be back again next year after Forza Italia won the local elections in Italy earlier this month
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

and the sour grapes turn in to vinegar
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,638

Telegraph on the increasingly scary cult of Corbyn. Brilliant. "Please let it be over soon."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/jeremy-corbyn-developing-cult-personality-terrifying/

Remind me again which party started the last general election campaign downplaying the party name and relegating the other prominent figures to the role of members of the leader's team.
    Good point. That worked out so well...
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

In your head maybe, in the real world not so much.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

Well, that really depends on if you think Parliament is the boss of the people or the people are the boss of Parliament.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,288
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

Leaving the EU **requires** those three things daodao wrote. Without them we are not truly leaving and the referendum result will not be honoured. Forget the rubbish about hard, soft etc.
    Are Norway and Switzerland in the EU, then?
    No, but they're not 'leaving' it - they have effectively half-joined it (just not the political union) and are content with that position. Leaving does not mean "part leaving" it means leaving (in full).
    That's simply not true.

Leaving the EU means not being a member of the EU, nothing more, nothing less.
    Quite.
    Is it not a matter of settled law that Brexit will mean whatever muddled agreement we can come to with the EU (or no agreement at all, in which case WTO), which can gain the approval of the U.K. parliament ?

It would be interesting to watch disappointed Brexiteers trying a reverse Gina Miller though.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I see the monomaniac obsessives came out in force to respond to my last post. Curiously, none of them chose to address their own shortcomings or dissociate themselves from the idea that Britain is teeming with quislings and saboteurs.

I don't think Britain is teeming with such people. The public in general are more relaxed about the issue than we are.
    It's once again the remainers trying to make an argument they lost

I have a friend ( 56 years old ) whos very Remain and for him the young peoples vote in the GE was a revolt against Leave

My son who's 21 and has lots of Corbyn voting mates says leave had little to do with it but Uni fees and job prospects have

who to believe ?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Then there won't be a relationship.
    If the EU wants to walk away, that's always been up to them, of course.
  • Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Tactical voting certainly did do it for the Tories in Aberdeen South. A relative of mine who I have just visited voted Tory for the first time in her life and indeed campaigned with other like minded Labour supporters who were anti nationalist to do the same.

Fuuny how easy it is for people like Roger to debunk Mr Herdson's carefully worked analysis supported by the stats with the irrefutable evidence of " a relative of mine" !
    Normally I'd agree with you but in this instance I've got a lot of inside knowledge. I knew for example before the vote that it was very likely to go Tory when the polls were saying something different.
    Hmmmmm. Never mind - at least living in the south of France with the bulwark of Macron to protect against all and sundry you are insulated from all of the world's demagogues. Are you planning to join president Trump in attending the July 14 celebrations this year?
    I live in my home, don't you?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

That's a viewpoint, Geoff, but I suspect the more substantive issue was Cameron's inability to deal with the Eurosceptic wing of his Party.

Who knows for sure though?
    The Eurosceptic wing of his party only needed dealing with because its viewpoint had significant support amongst the public, though, so it's a little chicken-and-egg.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/ any interference by the EU.

Brexit "requires" nothing other than we leavemeans.

In the real world people dont sit endlessly on blogs banging on about Europe

all those thousands tuned in to Love Island are more interested in who's shagging who or what's happening to Kim Kardashians ass this week

in the real world their votes and opinions count as much as yours and they dont really give a shit about Brexit
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

"Fog in Channel; Continent Cut Off".
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not. It's up to us to decide whether and what relationship we want with the EU and whether we are prepared to compromise to get it. It's irresponsible to blame the other party for our failure to face to to the consequences of our decisions.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164

Sean_F said:

I see the monomaniac obsessives came out in force to respond to my last post. Curiously, none of them chose to address their own shortcomings or dissociate themselves from the idea that Britain is teeming with quislings and saboteurs.

I don't think Britain is teeming with such people. The public in general are more relaxed about the issue than we are.

I have a friend ( 56 years old ) whos very Remain and for him the young peoples vote in the GE was a revolt against Leave

My son who's 21 and has lots of Corbyn voting mates says leave had little to do with it but Uni fees and job prospects have

who to believe ?
    Going off my mid-20’s grandchildren and grandchild-in-law (soon to be) your son is right, although the ideas that this country is fine as it is fills them with dismay.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

... and get a 50:50 (almost) result
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

I guess that would be a stiff upper lip 'no comment' to the question then.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

snip

... and get a 50:50 (almost) result
    Indeed. Not close to the " a substantial Parliamentary majority" that Peter_the_Punter correctly talks about existing at the time. And therefore making exactly my point.

*doffs cap* My thanks.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    You're saying that if the EU doesn't get what is impossible it will walk away from a deal. You're quite right that they can choose to do this.
  • Options

OllyT said:

In the real world people dont sit endlessly on blogs banging on about Europe

all those thousands tuned in to Love Island are more interested in who's shagging who or what's happening to Kim Kardashians ass this week

in the real world their votes and opinions count as much as yours and they dont really give a shit about Brexit

Youv'e shot off on another tangent again. The point that started this was whether the Norway option was a possible way to fulfil the referendum mandate as DaoDao seemed to be claiming it wasn't. You contribution to the debate was some irrelevancy about remain. I was interested in the issue under discussion all you seem to be bothered about is point scoring.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    You're saying that if the EU doesn't get what is impossible it will walk away from a deal. You're quite right that they can choose to do this.
    What you are calling "impossible" is YOUR refusal to compromise on EU law applying in the UK, to the extent YOU would prefer not to have any meaningful relationship with the major countries of Europe, the continent we happen to be a part of. That's a valid if absolutist opinion that appears to be substantially shared with Theresa May. But it is a decision with consequences that don't apply if you are more flexible.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    I don't know much about Scottish politics, but it seems clear that Davidson is attempting to define the Scottish Tories as the unionist counterpart to the SNP - fairly mild policies coupled with firm unionism - and that she had some success with that. Because Labour also recovered the game isn't over yet, but betting against an SNP majority at the next Holyrood election looks a good idea.

On the young, I'm quite sure that Brexit wasn't a major factor in most of their voting decisions - at most they saw it as one of many examples of the older generation screwing their futures and a reason not to forget to register to vote. There IS a significant hardcore Remain vote but it's mostly older centrists who see the EU project as a guarantor of a civlised, moderate Europe. The reason that the LibDems didn't mop them up is that the same group is politically sophisticated and given to tactical voting. They are disappointed by Labour's "the result has to be accepted, let's get a good deal" stance but generally not enough to make them vote Tory, since they see them as actively hostile to the project.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Incidentally, the Survation poll never did turn up, did it?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    What you are calling "impossible" is YOUR refusal to compromise on EU law applying in the UK, to the extent YOU would prefer not to have any meaningful relationship with the major countries of Europe, the continent we happen to be a part of. That's a valid if absolutist opinion that appears to be substantially shared with Theresa May. But it is a decision with consequences that don't apply if you are more flexible.
    I don't want to be "more flexible" or to "compromise".

I voted to Leave. The option "Fudge It" wasn't on my ballot paper.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

who to believe ?

Both, Mr Brooke. The issues are closely linked. If you want good job prospects - and even more so if you want to have have your university fees paid for you - you have to have a strong economy. And that means being in the single market.

Your 56 year old friend has a broader long-term vision. Your son and his mates are a bit short-sighted. They will probably have to learn the hard way.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.

Don't panic; we are leaving.

It may not be your precise version of leaving, but as you didn't vote for any specific version of leave, that doesn't matter.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    What you are calling "impossible" is YOUR refusal to compromise on EU law applying in the UK
    As I said, when we have Left the EU, its law should not apply in the UK any more than Australian or Malawian law. I think that's fairly obvious, as we will no longer be a member - can you give any reason (other than "to get a deal", which isn't a reason per se) why it should?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The title of Mr Herdson's post is one of the more obvious statements I've seen on PB for a while.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Sean_F said:

who to believe ?
    It was definitely uni fees, but in combination that they thought corbyn wasn't hard brexit. If a farage led ukip offered free uni fees and other sweeties they wouldn't have got anywhere.

All this concentration on yuff vote losing the tory majority isnt the primary reason though. They added a few % to labour 2015 vote , but it was the 35-50 age bracket that may did terribly with that really hurt the Tories.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    What you are calling "impossible" is YOUR refusal to compromise on EU law applying in the UK
    As I said, when we have Left the EU, its law should not apply in the UK any more than Australian or Malawian law. I think that's fairly obvious, as we will no longer be a member - can you give any reason (other than "to get a deal", which isn't a reason per se) why it should?
    When a financial services firm in Sevenoaks trades the US dollar they are governed by US law.
  • Options
    Just seen the england test squad....About as exciting as the tory manifesto!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.

That's valid. The consequence is that we will no longer have the close relationship with the major countries of Europe that we had before. We will no longer enjoy the same lifestyle and people will pay for it with their jobs, access to free healthcare and so on.

In the "real world" I think people will get twitchy
  • Options

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Root's first squad as captain.

No Haseeb Hameed who impressed me in India but Keaton Jennings gets the nod to open - presumably that Bombay century figuring in the weighing up.

Surprised about Dawson. He was only at Madras because he suited the pitch and Ali still, bizarrely, is the go-to "spinner" on the basis of his batting.

Roland-Jones is much more likely to get the nod and his first cap on his home ground.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958

Wonder if they've kept it back for the MoS?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.

That's valid. The consequence is that we will no longer have the close relationship with the major countries of Europe that we had before. We will no longer enjoy the same lifestyle and people will pay for it with their jobs, access to free healthcare and so on.

In the "real world" I think people will get twitchy
    I disagree fundamentally with all that and I strongly believe that life will be better.

As gamblers on this site (well, some of us) I wish that there was some sort of metric that we could settle on to frame success or failure - but there isn't. It will come down to perception and individual experiences.

But I for one am excited by the new opportunities and wider horizons we'll gain.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if they've kept it back for the MoS?
    https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/881070620699709441
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

No Haseeb Hameed who impressed me in India but Keaton Jennings gets the nod to open - presumably that Bombay century figuring in the weighing up.

Surprised about Dawson. He was only at Madras because he suited the pitch and Ali still, bizarrely, is the go-to "spinner" on the basis of his batting.

Roland-Jones is much more likely to get the nod and his first cap on his home ground.

Plus Ballance back again, never a test player. Roland Jones is no spring chicken and no real variation in the bowling ie all right arm, all seamers about the same pace (wood faster in bursts).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Hameed has not made many runs for Lancs this season. He is young, has great technique, though,and a good temperament too. Time is on his side.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Plus Ballance back again, never a test player. Roland Jones is no spring chicken and no real variation in the bowling ie all right arm, all seamers about the same pace (wood faster in bursts).
    Agree with all that. Ballance has had a great run at county level including a 100 and 200 against my county Hampshire in April. But he just can't convert it to Test level, and like Hick we've just got to accept that now after quite a few chances.

Jennings is doing okay for the Lions right now at Worcester (30 off 38, 6 fours in that). It doesn't seem to be on tv which is annoying.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Hameed has not made many runs for Lancs this season. He is young, has great technique, though,and a good temperament too. Time is on his side.
    I would still prefer him to Ballance . Yes Ballance is doing well in county cricket but he is never a test player. Hameed on the other hand looks like he has what it takes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,301

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No it's not.
    Damnit. My reply got eaten. So I'll be very brief.

All treaties contain dispute resolution mechanisms. The EU likes to use the ECJ, and many of the FTAs it has signed include the ECJ as an arbiter. The ECJ, in this case, has no ability to overrule a national government, merely to judge that a country is not in adherence with its treaty obligations. The greatest sanction the court could - theoretically - wield in these circumstances would be to suspend the agreement*.

So, saying "ECJ jurisdiction" can mean very different things, and people need to be more precise in their language.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Yes he's struggled this season and he'll come good.

Hameed is one of those prospects that merits a risk or two, though, and be given the chance to play though his poor form.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

I would still prefer him to Ballance . Yes Ballance is doing well in county cricket but he is never a test player. Hameed on the other hand looks like he has what it takes.
    We were typing similar sentiments at the same time. Agree with this wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Yes he's struggled this season and he'll come good.

Hameed is one of those prospects that merits a risk or two, though, and be given the chance to play though his poor form.
    Roland-Jones is a slight surprise to me. Looked very average at Chelmsford last week.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    What england need to find at test level is variation / flexibility.

At T20 and ODI they have it with rashid / crane leg spinners, the likes of Willey and mills left arm (and in case of mills extremely rapid). Also they have found good like for like replacements eg woakes injuried -> plunkett in. Buttler / bairstow are interchangeable.

Instead we keep going back to the likes of Ballance and Finn.

What is also worrying is we don't have anybody as good as Anderson or broad and especially Anderson can't have long left now.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I disagree fundamentally with all that and I strongly believe that life will be better.

As gamblers on this site (well, some of us) I wish that there was some sort of metric that we could settle on to frame success or failure - but there isn't. It will come down to perception and individual experiences.

But I for one am excited by the new opportunities and wider horizons we'll gain.

I'm sure you do think that and I'm certainly not going to say you are wrong. I would make two points. Firstly if you Brexit on principle, whether it is successful or not is irrelevant. You just do it. Secondly, most of the people that voted Leave did so on the understanding that there would be continuity, not least because the Leave campaign told them that. Success does matter to them. That's why I have always thought Brexit will end in a messy stalemate. It will be Leave, but a compromised one.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

We were typing similar sentiments at the same time. Agree with this wholeheartedly.
    Fragile fingers? Although Nasser Hussein has, too.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,347
    edited July 2017
    Just found this. Possibly a sort of Tory ersatz version of 'We cannot be killed'.

May’s rapid success in broadening her party’s appeal raises the question of whether she is lucky or skilful. The answer is a bit of both. As Cameron’s former advisers never fail to point out, she is extremely fortunate to be facing Jeremy Corbyn, the weakest Labour leader in a generation. His failings and Ukip’s post-referendum collapse have given the Tories the chance to take a slew of Labour seats. The Tory campaign’s emphasis on Theresa May is a reminder that she, personally, is more popular than her party, while Corbyn is much more unpopular than his. After the drama of the referendum, she has presented herself as the responsible adult, who will make this new settlement work. Her low-key, provincial style is as in keeping with the times as Tony Blair’s classless optimism was in the late 1990s.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/theresa-may-has-both-luck-and-skill-on-her-side-in-this-election-campaign/
  • Options

GeoffM said:

dixiedean said:

GeoffM said:

Joe Root (capt)
    Alastair Cook
    Keaton Jennings
    Gary Ballance
    Jonny Bairstow
    Ben Stokes
    Moeen Ali
    Liam Dawson
    Toby Roland-Jones
    Stuart Broad
    Mark Wood
    Jimmy Anderson

Fragile fingers? Although Nasser Hussein has, too.
    I know what you mean but you took my comeback example straight away from me!
  • Options

Just found this. Possibly a sort of Tory ersatz version of 'We cannot be killed'.

May’s rapid success in broadening her party’s appeal raises the question of whether she is lucky or skilful. The answer is a bit of both. As Cameron’s former advisers never fail to point out, she is extremely fortunate to be facing Jeremy Corbyn, the weakest Labour leader in a generation. His failings and Ukip’s post-referendum collapse have given the Tories the chance to take a slew of Labour seats. The Tory campaign’s emphasis on Theresa May is a reminder that she, personally, is more popular than her party, while Corbyn is much more unpopular than his. After the drama of the referendum, she has presented herself as the responsible adult, who will make this new settlement work. Her low-key, provincial style is as in keeping with the times as Tony Blair’s classless optimism was in the late 1990s.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/theresa-may-has-both-luck-and-skill-on-her-side-in-this-election-campaign/

I suggest the author uses the new EU 'right to be forgotten' digital right to have this wiped from the Internet.
  • Options
    Two drops by Notts so far. Now who do I recall throwing away a strong position?
  • Options

Australia, Headingley, 1981
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Are Sarries players taking it in turns to be utterly shite this toir
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

All treaties contain dispute resolution mechanisms. The EU likes to use the ECJ, and many of the FTAs it has signed include the ECJ as an arbiter. The ECJ, in this case, has no ability to overrule a national government, merely to judge that a country is not in adherence with its treaty obligations. The greatest sanction the court could - theoretically - wield in these circumstances would be to suspend the agreement*.

So, saying "ECJ jurisdiction" can mean very different things, and people need to be more precise in their language.

I don't think that's enough for the EU in this case. In effect that's how the Swiss EU bilaterals are governed. It creates imbalances as Swiss individuals and companies can sue EU entities and governments under EU law but EU individuals and companies can't do the same in Switzerland. Unless the EU tells the Swiss government what laws to enact and Swiss courts how to interpret those laws, which is judicial overreach. It's a genuinely tricky issue, but one the EU is not going to be flexible on. They (correctly) believe EU membership is there to deal with that issue.
  • Options

Which PBer wrote:

"Michael Portillo has a famous motto: "Who Dares Wins"!

"WE dare! WE will WIN!"

:innocent:
  • Options

I suggest the author uses the new EU 'right to be forgotten' digital right to have this wiped from the Internet.
    It's not nearly as bad as Sion Simon: 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Australia, Headingley, 1981
    LOL!!!! Why isn’t Stoneman in the Test side?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    And your daily terrorist news....

Detectives have arrested two men in Essex and a third in East Sussex on suspicion of preparing terror acts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656762/Counter-terrorism-detectives-arrest-three-men.html
  • Options
    Barry Norman has died
  • Options
    This week's Darwin Award goes to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-40459493
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Barry Norman has died

The film review show was never the same after he stopped doing it.
  • Options

Barry Norman has died

Nobody had him on my Dead Pool.

We haven't had a winner since Adam West despite over 230 nominations on our latest thread.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,301
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think that's enough for the EU in this case. In effect that's how the Swiss EU bilaterals are governed. It creates imbalances as Swiss individuals and companies can sue EU entities and governments under EU law but EU individuals and companies can't do the same in Switzerland. Unless the EU tells the Swiss government what laws to enact and Swiss courts how to interpret those laws, which is judicial overreach. It's a genuinely tricky issue, but one the EU is not going to be flexible on. They (correctly) believe EU membership is there to deal with that issue.
    I don't think you're correct. If you look at the description of the EU-Swiss bilaterals, it is made clear that the ECJ has no say.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2009_2014/documents/deea/dv/2203_07/2203_07en.pdf

Page 4, bottom right hand corner says explicitly that no rights are passed to the ECJ as part of the EU-Switzerland bilaterals.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,120

We need to know what calibre the DE was before we pass judgment. .50 = LOL.
  • Options
    Apple to introduce a Do Not Disturb whilst driving feature to mobile phones.

About time. I am sick of seeing drivers using phones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/30/ios-11-do-not-disturb-while-driving/
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

Yes it was a .50

A muzzle velocity exceeding 1900 fps and muzzle energy of 2800 ft-lbs. That's twice as fast as .45s and they hit with the force of a .308 Winchester. And he protected himself with a book. LOLOLOL
  • Options
    One wicket down in the Lions and it's the guy who will open in the Test:
    Keaton Jennings b Morkel 39 (92m 66b 8x4 0x6) SR: 59.09
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,120
    GeoffM said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes it was a .50
    1,600 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Sweet.
This discussion has been closed.