Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tactical voting didn’t win it for the Scottish Tories

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tactical voting didn’t win it for the Scottish Tories

Jeremy Corbyn would be prime minister today if the Scottish Tories had done as badly three weeks ago as they did in 2015 (or any of the previous four elections). Without the dozen gains north of the border, a deal with the DUP wouldn’t have given her the numbers and a deal with anyone else couldn’t have been done. It would have been game over.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited July 2017
    First, like Corbyn.

So, a Labour voter who votes Tory to keep the SNP out is a tactical voter, and

a Labour voter who votes Tory is a Tory gain !!!!!!

Presumably, the voter writes his/her intention on the ballot paper !

I'd rather vote SNP to keep the Tories out.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited July 2017
    Second like ScotCon

I argued throughout the election that Scottish tactical voting in favour of the Tories would be unlikely, because people would dislike the Tories more than the possibility of another referendum, when they would be free to vote no anyway. The data suggests that Labour-Tory tactical voting was indeed low, but the LibDem vote appears to have been lent to the Tories in some seats like Gordon?

Someone needs to re-toxify the Tories in Scotland! The current limpalong government might be just the thing...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    How am I supposed to take the article seriously, or even be expected to bother to read it at all, when the very first line makes such an overtly preposterous and atrocitarianistically nincompoopismatic statement as "Jeremy Corbyn would be prime minister today if the Scottish Tories had done as badly three weeks ago as they did in 2015"? Does the author of the article think that we are a load of dilly and vacuous noodle-bandits and frasmotic jellyfish, rather than the normal-brained intelligentoids that we in fact, in most cases, are?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Those are extraordinary changes.

Yet, there's clearly a large minority that is both anti-EU and anti-independence, and the Tories were the party of choice for them.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    IanB2 said:
    Yes, we talked about this at rather tedious length on here last week.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Sean_F said:

Yet, there's clearly a large minority that is both anti-EU and anti-independence, and the Tories were the party of choice for them.

The turkeys voting for Christmas. Unionists who will love the UK to death.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Bodes well for future elections where tactical voting may help reduce the SNP even further.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Admit it, you are disappointed that IndyRef2 is on the back burner. :p
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    IanB2 said:
    Funny, we had a British strawberry industry before we entered the EU - on the backs of child labour - I was one of them!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Admit it, you are disappointed that IndyRef2 is on the back burner. :p
    Predictions that we would be in the EU long after the UK had ceased to exist ringing a little hollow now.....
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    Funny, we had a British strawberry industry before we entered the EU - on the backs of child labour - I was one of them!
    Hm, if they are working in the fields we can hardly eat them. :(
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:
    Hm, if they are working in the fields we can hardly eat them. :(
    Makes 'em all sinewy and chewy; plus the sunburnt skin doesn't do crackling well.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    The Scottish electorate is polarising between pro- and anti-independence and away from its historical left-right division. The astonishing rise and fall-back of the SNP which the header tables illustrate and the concomitant churn in support for the unionist parties is a reflection of tatonnement – i.e. trial and error “groping” towards a new stable position within this changed landscape. Of course it is all “tactical” if you want to use that word, but we would need to know the relative positions of the three unionist parties in those constituencies in addition to the changing vote shares before we could assess the power of unionist consolidation. Meanwhile there will be further lurches in voting shares and of course “tactical” voting before the unionist parties themselves consolidate in some way.
  • Options
    There are certain finely honed political skills that only a select minority of practitioners of statecraft possess. Among them is the ability, when things are going badly and one’s prospects are calamitously on the downward slide, to seize Misfortune by the hair and aggravate the situation to secure the worst outcome in the worst of all possible worlds.

Such an one is Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon, First Minister or, in her own perception, Regent of Scotland..

https://reaction.life/tide-gone-nicola-sturgeon-struggling-snp/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    surbiton said:

First, like Corbyn.

If there was widespread tactical voting, you should be able to see that in differential results across constituencies.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited July 2017
    This is a really interesting point that I hadn't appreciated.

It's slightly dangerous dealing in shares of vote because of differential turnout, but the point seems sound - and surprising.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,335

IanB2 said:
    At last we have a tangible benefit of leaving the EU. You can get your old job back, Carlotta!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    Perfect timing for this Lincolnshire company then ... strawberries the size of tennis balls.

Much easier to pick. Job jobbed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656064/Experts-engineer-new-breed-super-sized-strawberries.html
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    Pick your own was huge in Kent when I was a child. Does it still exist anymore?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Excellent header, thanks David.
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    At last we have a tangible benefit of leaving the EU. You can get your old job back, Carlotta!
    Much as I'd love to reclaim my youthful flexibility I'm not sure either the knees or the back are still up to it!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Good morning, Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

IanB2 said:
    Those Airbus workers have their future sorted, but fear not for their backs. About 50% of British strawberries are grown at waist height.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    So we need foreigners to pick our strawberries now because we're too fat and lazy to do it ourselves. My mum worked on the fields for years, so did I in school holidays. These articles enrage me, the Independent would have you think we're all going to starve to death because of Brexit.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

First, like Corbyn.

Diane Abbott, Returning Officer
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited July 2017
    John Major won 11 seats in Scotland in 1992 and Theresa May 13 seats in Scotland in 2017 so what is happened is mainly the Scottish seats the Tories used to hold before their 1997 wipeout have returned to the blues plus 1 or 2 the LDs held in 1992 or the SNP gained from the Tories in 1987
  • Options
    Paging @WilliamGlenn

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/eu-states-examine-whether-uk-likely-reverse-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

As we skid towards the cliff edge Brexit, the Europeans start to wonder what we are playing at.

"An EU-based diplomat said the onus remained on the UK to come up with a plan. He cited a recent speech by the former UK ambassador to the EU Lord Kerr, who said: “It is odd, if we want a deep and special relationship with the EU, not to have proposed one. A year after the referendum, we have still put forward no plan, suggestion, outline or proposal for how one might in future organise cooperation”."
  • Options
    Labour is “too broad a church” and the current crop of MPs must “work very hard” to avoid deselection, the party’s new chairman has said.

Ian Lavery told HuffPost UK that Labour will also fund an army of new “community champions” to organise at a constituency level, as the leadership eyes sweeping changes to the party’s power structure.

The former miner, who replaced deputy leader Tom Watson as chair in Jeremy Corbyn’s reshuffle, made clear “everything has got to be on the table” for reform, including the national policy forum Tony Blair founded or candidate selection.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_59562e36e4b0da2c7322c70f?

Let the de-selections commence!
  • Options

Paging @WilliamGlenn

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/eu-states-examine-whether-uk-likely-reverse-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

As we skid towards the cliff edge Brexit, the Europeans start to wonder what we are playing at.

"An EU-based diplomat said the onus remained on the UK to come up with a plan. He cited a recent speech by the former UK ambassador to the EU Lord Kerr, who said: “It is odd, if we want a deep and special relationship with the EU, not to have proposed one. A year after the referendum, we have still put forward no plan, suggestion, outline or proposal for how one might in future organise cooperation”."

Theresa May has 'hamstrung' David Davis in Brexit talks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40461496
  • Options
    Only the Tories are split over Brexit.....

Jeremy Corbyn was facing an increasingly divided Labour party last night after Remain-supporting MPs warned they can't support his position on Brexit because their constituents do not support it.

MPs in remain-backing constituencies said they can't vote in favour of the leader's position on leaving the European Union, which is seen as increasingly hardline, for fear of losing their seats in another general election.

Their admission means the deep split is likely to widen in the coming weeks unless Labour can reconcile the two opposing viewpoints on its own benches and within its electorate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/labour-supporters/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb
  • Options

So we need foreigners to pick our strawberries now because we're too fat and lazy to do it ourselves. My mum worked on the fields for years, so did I in school holidays. These articles enrage me, the Independent would have you think we're all going to starve to death because of Brexit.

Automation will end many of these jobs within the next few years anyway.

The drive for a $15 minimum wage in the US is having the opposite effect and McDonald's share price is rocketing at the moment as they roll out robot kiosks. And at the other end of the scale every train will be automated within a decade. And every Airbus wing will be built by pushing a few buttons.

We're going to need to look elsewhere for new industries and different jobs right across the spectrum - and very soon. Luddites will not be able to hold back the tide.
  • Options

Paging @WilliamGlenn

"An EU-based diplomat saidzzzzzzzzzz

Meh.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Tactical voting certainly did do it for the Tories in Aberdeen South. A relative of mine who I have just visited voted Tory for the first time in her life and indeed campaigned with other like minded Labour supporters who were anti nationalist to do the same.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    IanB2 said:

Paging @WilliamGlenn

Guess which Russian owned London freesheet edited by a sacked politician is featuring that prominently...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Paging @WilliamGlenn

Guess which Russian owned London freesheet is featuring that prominently...
    TBF it is prominent in all the serious papers and websites
  • Options
    Leavers still seem firmly resistant to any solution to the problem of who picks fruit that doesn't involve time travel or not eating strawberries.
  • Options
    I do, however, have a solution to the problem to delight Leavers. Inspire hundreds of thousands of students to enlist to pick fruit by renaming it the Glastonberry.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'd look at Brexit to Con vote in Scotland.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn was facing an increasingly divided Labour party last night after Remain-supporting MPs warned they can't support his position on Brexit because their constituents do not support it.

MPs in remain-backing constituencies said they can't vote in favour of the leader's position on leaving the European Union, which is seen as increasingly hardline, for fear of losing their seats in another general election.

Their admission means the deep split is likely to widen in the coming weeks unless Labour can reconcile the two opposing viewpoints on its own benches and within its electorate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/30/labour-supporters/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

It's not so much a split as a chasm the size of te Grand Canyon. Corbyn has snatched defeat moments away from victory.
  • Options

I do, however, have a solution to the problem to delight Leavers. Inspire hundreds of thousands of students to enlist to pick fruit by renaming it the Glastonberry.

How you persuade them that it's relocated to North East Scotland may be more tricky.....
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Never let it be said that I can't be positive about european countries.
    Some genuinely really good news:

https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/06/30/czech-republic-aims-arm-citizens-combat-terrorism/

In December, when the European Commission responded to terrorist attacks by passing stricter gun laws, only three countries stood against their impotent actions.

Now, one of them is taking matters into their own hands with a proposition to put the right to bear arms back into their Constitution and put guns into the hands of its citizens for protection.

On Wednesday, the lower house of the Czech parliament voted in favor of adding gun rights to their constitution.

“This constitutional bill is in reaction to the recent increase of security threats, especially the danger of violent acts such as isolated terrorist attacks … active attackers or other violent hybrid threats,” a draft of the bill reads.

“We don’t want to disarm our citizens at a time when the security situation in Europe is getting worse,” Interior Minister Milan Chovanec told parliament before Wednesday’s vote. “Show me a single terrorist attack in Europe perpetrated using a legally-owned weapon.”

I can actually think of one terrorist attack with a legally owned weapon ... but that just means that if those around that attack had been armed too it wouldn't have been as bad.

Anyway, good on the Czechs, I've always liked the place.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    IanB2 said:

Paging @WilliamGlenn

Its seems that Mr Chapman got his sense of loyalty from his old boss (Mr Osborne).
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Roger said:

It's not so much a split as a chasm the size of te Grand Canyon. Corbyn has snatched defeat moments away from victory.
    What victory?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

surbiton said:

First, like Corbyn.

If there was widespread tactical voting, you should be able to see that in differential results across constituencies.
    There was not much , it was a case of anyone not wanting to vote SNP having to pick a unionist donkey. Given the crap on offer it was more pin the donkey than tactical.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, that Osborne-BBC story is weird.

Apparently by refusing to let the EU have its courts rule on people in the UK and apply EU law to people in the UK, Davis is hamstrung.

It's a bad red line because we can't compromise on having our own laws apply in our own country, and be applied by our own courts.

• Options

How you persuade them that it's relocated to North East Scotland may be more tricky.....
    I expect you to give this idea more patriotic coverage.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Paging @WilliamGlenn

Guess which Russian owned London freesheet is featuring that prominently...
    TBF it is prominent in all the serious papers and websites
    Jonathan Portes has just described leaving the jurisdiction of the ECJ as "undelivererable" - how many other non EU members are subject to its jurisdiction?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Tactical voting certainly did do it for the Tories in Aberdeen South. A relative of mine who I have just visited voted Tory for the first time in her life and indeed campaigned with other like minded Labour supporters who were anti nationalist to do the same.

The Tories won Aberdeen South in 1992 though so again it was also blues returning home
  • Options

Apparently by refusing to let the EU have its courts rule on people in the UK and apply EU law to people in the UK, Davis is hamstrung.

It's a bad red line because we can't compromise on having our own laws apply in our own country, and be applied by our own courts.

There's nothing weird about the story if you (somehow) manage to persevere to the end of it. I've done that so you don't have to.

It turns out he works for a company with a financial and political interest in the whole thing. But you have to make it to the very final sentence to learn that. Typical BiasedBBC.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GeoffM said:

https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/06/30/czech-republic-aims-arm-citizens-combat-terrorism/

In December, when the European Commission responded to terrorist attacks by passing stricter gun laws, only three countries stood against their impotent actions.

Now, one of them is taking matters into their own hands with a proposition to put the right to bear arms back into their Constitution and put guns into the hands of its citizens for protection.

On Wednesday, the lower house of the Czech parliament voted in favor of adding gun rights to their constitution.

“This constitutional bill is in reaction to the recent increase of security threats, especially the danger of violent acts such as isolated terrorist attacks … active attackers or other violent hybrid threats,” a draft of the bill reads.

“We don’t want to disarm our citizens at a time when the security situation in Europe is getting worse,” Interior Minister Milan Chovanec told parliament before Wednesday’s vote. “Show me a single terrorist attack in Europe perpetrated using a legally-owned weapon.”

I can actually think of one terrorist attack with a legally owned weapon ... but that just means that if those around that attack had been armed too it wouldn't have been as bad.

We have recently suffered several terrorist attacks with legally owned weapons, albeit cars, vans and knives. Allowing terrorists to buy guns over-the-counter might not necessarily make us safer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

IanB2 said:
    Fields of strawberries....
    :-)

• Options
    Mr. M, right...

And people wonder why there's declining faith in politics or the media.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Did anyone hear that K&C councillor interview on R4 Today. What ever possessed her to go on.

Amazingly bad. Only just corrected herself from saying that Grenfell residents being charged rent was a tiny thing. Said the K&C council was doing a lot of 'hand holding'.

Banged on about how K&C had been rated an Excellent council.
  • Options
    James Chapman is running into the Brexit patriots early this morning by having the temerity to point out that some of Theresa May's red lines may be actively counterproductive. It's that kind of willingness to consider unwelcome points by the Leavers that enables the rest of us to make an accurate assessment of the likelihood that Brexit will be successful.
  • Options

There are certain finely honed political skills that only a select minority of practitioners of statecraft possess. Among them is the ability, when things are going badly and one’s prospects are calamitously on the downward slide, to seize Misfortune by the hair and aggravate the situation to secure the worst outcome in the worst of all possible worlds.

Such an one is Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon, First Minister or, in her own perception, Regent of Scotland..

Not entirely unlike your own dear Prime Minister...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

There's nothing weird about the story if you (somehow) manage to persevere to the end of it. I've done that so you don't have to.

It turns out he works for a company with a financial and political interest in the whole thing. But you have to make it to the very final sentence to learn that. Typical BiasedBBC.
    Mr Chapman stopped working for David Davis at the election and is now a partner at lobbying company Bell Pottinger.

A detail missing in the Russian owned London freesheet - I expect the editors too busy with his other jobs to pay attention to "details"
  • Options

Leavers still seem firmly resistant to any solution to the problem of who picks fruit that doesn't involve time travel or not eating strawberries.

Time travel? I've just linked to a UK innovation of giant strawberries!
    Early ripening ones too - June and July so perfect for Wimbledon.
    Strawberry consumption will go up. There's no "problem" - just a great British opportunity.
    Rejoice! We're leading the world again.
  • Options

James Chapman is running into the Brexit patriots early this morning by having the temerity to point out that some of Theresa May's red lines may be actively counterproductive. It's that kind of willingness to consider unwelcome points by the Leavers that enables the rest of us to make an accurate assessment of the likelihood that Brexit will be successful.

Which other non-EU countries are subject to the ECJ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    Interesting analysis but I don't agree with the conclusion either from my awareness of the political dynamic here or the figures themselves. On the figures. If there is no tactical voting you would expect the decreases in the SNP vote to match the increases in the Conservative votes (ignoring any general shifts in popularity between the Tories and other non-SNP parties). In fact the Conservatives increased far more than the SNP decreased in these seats.

The seats in that list, which had Labour in contention - Aberdeen, Stirling, Ayr and East Renfrewshire - all saw the Labour vote share drop, in contrast to an increase across the country. The biggest surprise of the 2017 election in Scotland apart from the collapse in SNP support was Labour's return from the dead. The Conservative revival was well trailed, not least by themselves. To vote tactically you need an understanding of the relative strengths of the parties in the constituency. It's probable natural Labour voters underestimated their own party's prospects in those constituencies.

The last and maybe most important point is that people were already voting tactically in 2015.

Undoubtedly the Conservatives benefited from the collapse in SNP support, just as Labour did in the seats it won. However tactical voting was important too. Without it the Conservatives would not have won several seats they did win.
  • Options

He's not saying it can't be done. He's saying it would be counterproductive, giving examples why.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

The Tories won Aberdeen South in 1992 though so again it was also blues returning home
    It was very heavy campaigning that a vote for the Tory was the only way to keep the Nat out. If you had any idea how distressing it was for many Labour voters I can assure you you wouldn't be saying it was Tories returning home. I'm afraid after David's extraordinary forsight in the General Election he has got this one badly wrong.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Downing Street and the Department for Exiting the EU declined to comment.
    Mrs May has insisted the ECJ will have no jurisdiction over the UK.
    But the EU insists that the ECJ must continue to offer legal protection for its citizens in the UK, just as it does now.
  • Options

He's not saying it can't be done. He's saying it would be counterproductive, giving examples why.
    Which other Non-EU countries are subject to the ECJ?
  • Options

That depends how you define Brexit as successful, for some Leavers immigration control was the be all and end all, especially as we did not even get the transition controls most EU nations imposed on migration from the new accession countries from 2004 to 2011 thanks to Blair
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    GeoffM said:

I've always said that 9/11 would probably not have happened if, instead of screening for weapons before boarding, you handed every passenger their own large knife.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    OT (in a manner of speaking).

The UK is now the worst performing advanced economy on the planet.

'Xenophobes of the World Unite you have nothing to lose but your livelihood'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-economy-world-worst-performing-advanced-countries-state-g7-european-union-a7817046.html
  • Options

I commend the art of reading to you. It may stand you in good stead in the future.
  • Options

I commend the art of reading to you. It may stand you in good stead in the future.
    I commend the art of comprehension to you. Modesty would not go amis either. "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited July 2017

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/influence over UK laws or people residing in the UK.
    b) The UK has full control over its borders (including immigration) without any interference by the EU.
    c) The UK determines its own tariffs and trading arrangements without any interference by the EU.

If that is considered a hard Brexit, so be it.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Those are extraordinary changes.

I think about 25% of the population and as you say, the Conservatives are the party of choice. The complication is that the WWC that might have voted UKIP and Leave in England largely moved from Labour to the SNP. The remaining Scottish Labour are very pro EU.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That depends how you define Brexit as successful, for some Leavers immigration control was the be all and end all, especially as we did not even get the transition controls most EU nations imposed on migration from the new accession countries from 2004 to 2011 thanks to Blair
    Off out shortly, but Brexit does look like the transition from uncontrolled immigration to uncontrolled emmigration.

• Options

Alastair said "He's not saying it can't be done."

Cool. That's good enough for me.
    Crack on - get busy doing it then.
  • Options
    daodao said:

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/influence over UK laws
    The ECHR has nowt to do with Brexit. The EU body is the ECJ.
  • Options

I commend the art of comprehension to you. Modesty would not go amis either. "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.
    I'm not answering questions that are entirely irrelevant to the point that I'm making just because you don't like that point. You, along with the other crazies, would rather draw a counterproductive red line than show pragmatic flexibility. Which is one reason why Brexit is going to be so disastrous.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

It was very heavy campaigning that a vote for the Tory was the only way to keep the Nat out. If you had any idea how distressing it was for many Labour voters I can assure you you wouldn't be saying it was Tories returning home. I'm afraid after David's extraordinary forsight in the General Election he has got this one badly wrong.
    No. If you look at the seats the Tories won, Aberdeen South, Stirling, Ayr, East Renfrewshire (formerly Eastwood), Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine, Dumfries and Galloway, Moray, Banff and Buchan, Angus etc all were held by the Tories in either 1983 or 1992 and Gordon was a notional Tory seat in 1992. So yes the independence issue may have focused minds but these were also seats the Tories used to win so they were not coming from nowhere. The other seats they won like Ochil and South Perthshire contained either part of a seat they won in 1992 (Perth and Kinross) or like Roxburgh and Berwickshire or Dumfriesshire, Ettrick and Lauderdale have moved to the Tories following the collapse of the LDs and were formerly Liberal held
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Roger said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-economy-world-worst-performing-advanced-countries-state-g7-european-union-a7817046.html

The previous quarter, it was the best. Which is why you should never read much into one quarter's figures.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    daodao said:

Brexit requires that:
    a) The ECJ & ECHR have absolutely no control/influence over UK laws or people residing in the UK.
    b) The UK has full control over its borders (including immigration) without any interference by the EU.
    c) The UK determines its own tariffs and trading arrangements without any interference by the EU.

This is what I find so amusing. After months of saying "it's not up to us, guv, to determine what Brexit looks like, there was no Leave Manifesto; it's up to the government", Brexiters can't wait to say exactly what Brexit should or shouldn't be.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

Paging @WilliamGlenn

Its seems that Mr Chapman got his sense of loyalty from his old boss (Mr Osborne).
    What loyalty should you owe to someone who has sacked you and you think is leading the country is the wrong direction ?
    Would you prefer daily encomiums to our great leader ?

• Options

HYUFD said:

Off out shortly, but Brexit does look like the transition from uncontrolled immigration to uncontrolled emmigration.

Well if Brexit is followed by a Corbyn premiership maybe but some of the working class Labour leavers in the North, the Midlands and Wales will be perfectly happy with falling immigration, rising emigration and a Corbyn government
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Oh good

after a year remainers have moved on from anger to bargaining, only two to go
  • Options

Interestingly this is leading the news. This would be strange if it wasn't that James Chapman is now a partner at Bell Pottinger one of the most powerful PR agencies in the City. Not a company to be trifled with. I wonder who they're working for?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon are similar in many ways. One important way is they both hate not being in total control.
  • Options

I'm not answering questions that are entirely irrelevant to the point that I'm making just because you don't like that point. You, along with the other crazies, would rather draw a counterproductive red line than show pragmatic flexibility. Which is one reason why Brexit is going to be so disastrous.
    I do love it when you start name calling. It stood Remain in such good stead during the campaign. Just goes to show how little you've learned.

No non EU members are subject to the ECJ - and if there's a case for the UK to be the first I've yet to see it.
  • Options

Oh good

We all know it's an unfolding and unmitigated disaster so we're not wasting any mental energy on it. Watching Leavers tie themselves in knots as they writhe in their self-contradictions is a harmless amusement.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The Tolpuddle Martyrs were agricultural labourers. They are celebrated by the labour movement as trade union heroes and their efforts hailed. Yet now agricultural labourers are fascist dinosaurs, wanting to take away the jobs of more diverse people from abroad.

How dare they want better condition and higher wages. Think of the effect on the poor consumers? There's a delicious irony here, and I can't help being amused. Am I living in an alternate universe?

No, the Labour Party has changed, it is now the party of the middle class, metropolitan elite. Bring me your posho, your advantaged journalist, your sociology lecturer, your gap-year student, your class-war warrior.

And the animals looked from pig to man ...
  • Options

I do love it when you start name calling. It stood Remain in such good stead during the campaign. Just goes to show how little you've learned.

No non EU members are subject to the ECJ - and if there's a case for the UK to be the first I've yet to see it.
    Then I suggest that you and the other crazies look at what Mr Chapman is saying today, rather than call him names. He makes the case clearly and concisely.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Oh good

We're facing up to the consequences of YOUR decision. Leavers never got beyond the denial stage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

No. If you look at the seats the Tories won, Aberdeen South, Stirling, Ayr, East Renfrewshire (formerly Eastwood), Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine, Dumfries and Galloway, Moray, Banff and Buchan, Angus etc all were held by the Tories in either 1983 or 1992 and Gordon was a notional Tory seat in 1992. So yes the independence issue may have focused minds but these were also seats the Tories used to win so they were not coming from nowhere. The other seats they won like Ochil and South Perthshire contained either part of a seat they won in 1992 (Perth and Kinross) or like Roxburgh and Berwickshire or Dumfriesshire, Ettrick and Lauderdale have moved to the Tories following the collapse of the LDs and were formerly Liberal held
    But 6000 Labour voters in Aberdeen South voted Tory from their lowest watermark for decades in 2015
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Oh good

We're facing up to the consequences of YOUR decision. Leavers never got beyond the denial stage.
    I've got as far as the WOOHOO WE'RE FREE VICTORY DANCE stage.
    Does that count?
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

This is what I find so amusing. After months of saying "it's not up to us, guv, to determine what Brexit looks like, there was no Leave Manifesto; it's up to the government", Brexiters can't wait to say exactly what Brexit should or shouldn't be.
    There is partial Brexit (with only 1 or 2 of my points a/b/c being implemented), but remaining in the single market, as advocated by the likes of the despicable Umunna, is not Brexit at all.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

Oh good

Does that count?
    If totally disconnected from reality counts as "denial", I guess so.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited July 2017

Oh good

We all know it's an unfolding and unmitigated disaster so we're not wasting any mental energy on it. Watching Leavers tie themselves in knots as they writhe in their self-contradictions is a harmless amusement.
    hmmm

I see a few are still in denial

ps maybe you should have wasted some of that mental energy when the campaign was on
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

The previous quarter, it was the best. Which is why you should never read much into one quarter's figures.
    Indeed. Remember that the next time you read a Government claim that the UK economy is now outperforming the rest of the world.

The broader picture is that the UK's recovery since 2008 remains pretty lousy compared to most other major economies, especially those which chose not to use austerity as a welcome excuse to shrink their public sectors.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited July 2017
    TOPPING said:

daodao said:

Brexit requires that:

What I find so amusing is how people like you can't grasp what Brexit requires. That list is implicit in LEAVING THE EU. If any of those items is not the case then Brexit simply has not occured. Other matters of policy are another thing, a matter for HM Gov / Parliament.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Sonny Bill Williams doesn't need a rainy rugby pitch to have a shower, he's got the All Blacks dressing room to himself for the next 60 minutes! :D
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FF43 said:

Oh good

Does that count?
    I'd be on the dance floor with you if I lived in Gibraltar
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Meeks,

Self-contradiction? I suppose the Labour Party now epitomise that. Are today's agricultural labourers the wrong sort of agricultural labourers and the Eastern European ones the right sort? And I know you don't vote Labour, so this is merely an observation.
This discussion has been closed.