Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It would appear some Tory MPs are determined to see a British

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It would appear some Tory MPs are determined to see a British En Marche happen

EXC: Dozens of Tory MPs have emailed Andrea Leadsom urging her to run for leader again https://t.co/X8iKsfggKh

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017
    "Michael Gove’s transformation into the lovechild of Francis Urquhart"

I can definitely confirm this is not true....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    LOL!

A more likely explanation is that the article is bollocks.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ah a new thread - makes mental note not to fling the PC out the window after the last one :)

Leadsom campaigned in Bolsover iirc and helped get Helen Harrison 19+k votes there, a very decent score in the context of the evening.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    This is a woman who made May look good. Think about that for a moment and then save your money.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited June 2017

"Michael Gove’s transformation into the lovechild of Francis Urquhart"

I can definitely confirm this is not true....

You may say that, but we couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    When are the QS votes?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    I thought she was lost in the Sunny Uplands.

If Labour can select a bonkers leader why can't the Conservatives do the same?
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    The Tories are caught in a very negative news cycle at the moment and i am not sure how they will get out of it. With Brexit, whatever they are doing, half of the country won't be happy. In regard to austerity/spending, they have a very diificult situation, which i don't think they can easily get out of, unless they open the purse strings and start spending, with an increased deficit.

Labour are setting the agenda and i can't see this changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    Chuka's amendment is going to be awful optics for Labour amongst their remain supporting voting base.
    I'd vote for it if I was on the oppo benches anyway - abstaining against a jobs first Brexit though. Ouchies for Corbyn...
    I wonder if any will vote with the Government to oppose.
  • Options
    Richard_H said:

Given how rapidly things have changed in the last eight weeks, who knows what will happen?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

Chuka's amendment is going to be awful optics for Labour amongst their remain supporting voting base.
    I'd vote for it if I was on the oppo benches anyway - abstaining against a jobs first Brexit though. Ouchies for Corbyn...
    I wonder if any will vote with the Government to oppose.

Robert Smithson's employee who voted for Kate Hoey in protest at Brexit will surely be annoyed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Afternoon all :)

Well, my betting post got caught in the curse of the new thread.

After her silly comments about broadcasters being "patriotic", I doubt she'll get very far.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017
    DavidL said:

This is a woman who made May look good. Think about that for a moment and then save your money.

She did come second in a five horse race, so must have some support in the PCP. Sure her "as a mother" was crass, albeit perhaps true, and her CV would embarass Dr Paul Nuttall, but she cannot be much more useless than the otber members of cabinet!
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Angela Leadsom may as well be wrapped in gift paper with a big red bow and addressed to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    LOL.

Then stopped myself. As we are now living in a Truman-show style political comedy then she will be leader by October.
  • Options

I reckon Philip Davies will be the next leader.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    I thought the 'Silly Season' started after Parliament went into recess.....
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Corbyn would've done better to not whip at all. The amendment clearly won't pass. Even by whipping to abstain he picks a side, and Corbyn really needs to straddle the fence for as long as humanly possible.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Richard_H said:

The Tories are caught in a very negative news cycle at the moment and i am not sure how they will get out of it. With Brexit, whatever they are doing, half of the country won't be happy. In regard to austerity/spending, they have a very diificult situation, which i don't think they can easily get out of, unless they open the purse strings and start spending, with an increased deficit.

I agree absolutely...except...it is just when there seems no way out of the status quo, nor any catalyst for change in sight, that...lo! Change arrives.

Hence Tezza's decision, right IMO, to ride it out. Events have a habit of making fools of those predicting an end of history.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I reckon Philip Davies will be the next leader.

Corbyn would absolutely LOVE that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Well, my betting post got caught in the curse of the new thread.

After her silly comments about broadcasters being "patriotic", I doubt she'll get very far.

Letter I sent to Carswell/UKIP policy team in 2014 pt1

"A problem that particularly affects the working class is the growing number of Fixed Odds Betting Terminals (FOBTs) in betting shops. I have worked in the bookmaking industry for nearly twenty years, and in that time there have been a lot of changes. The existence of the betting exchanges, namely Betfair, has meant that the bookie vs punter battle is all but over. Bookmakers are unable to compete with the margins that the exchanges bet to, but what they lose in custom they make up for in wages. As the exchanges are the ultimate guide to the betting market, they no longer have to employ as many odds compilers, they just copy the exchange and add a bit of margin. If the bookmaker is out of line with the exchanges, and punters try to take the bookie price, the bookie stops them betting, or limits them to pennies. To all intents and purposes the high St bookie should be dead. They don't take many bets, and they don't let people bet much.

But they are kept afloat by the FOBTs. These are basically Fruit Machines on crack cocaine. There is no edge for the punter as the machines are programmed to win a certain percentage. It is not about skill, they cannot be beaten. Bookmakers now have as many of these machines as possible in betting shops, and staff I have spoken to have told me they are instructed to teach punters how to play them, and stay open as long as possible even when there is barely any sport to bet on. Labour MP Tom Watson has done a great deal of work on the problems of FOBTs. They are a social menace, causing misery to many who cant afford to lose the money they are, and the anger on the part of the player when they lose is often also distressing for the employee, who is usually working alone late at night. The bookmakers that are applying to open shops in High Streets in poor areas (Newham is a particular example) are only doing so in order to pile these machines into them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tom-watson-mp/tom-watson-gambling-machines_b_4108634.html

Watson wants some kind of ban on them, Cameron is dithering."
  • Options
    @stodge pt 2

"My idea would be to make bookmakers who want FOBTs in their shops re apply for a license as an amusement arcade rather than a bookmaker, and remove their ability to take bets on sport in that shop if such a licence is granted. I predict that Bookmakers such as Ladbrokes, Coral and William Hill would baulk at this, but at the moment they are no more than fences for FOBTs anyway. They wont take bets off people who have any clue about betting, but are happy to let the poorest in society lose their wages in a machine which it is impossible to beat. Strange as it may sound, the name Ladbrokes/Hills/Corals adds a cloak of respectability to the mugging that takes place inside their shops. Attaching their name to an amusement arcade would (a) discourage them from applying as it would damage their brand, and (b) give the authorities the chance to deny permission for the arcade. Either would be a bonus for the man in the street.

Because they cannot be beaten, the bookies let anybody have anything they like in these machines

rethink gambling ‏@rethinkgambling Dec 15
    .@Coral You took this from a known #gambling #addict on Friday. Anything to say to his children this Christmas? pic.twitter.com/5JIfztXZrL

I have written a couple of articles on this deception here

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/luis-louis-ladbrokes-life.html

and here

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html

and here is a blog from a betting shop worker who knows the truth behind the supposed advice to "Bet responsibly"

https://contributoria.com/issue/2014-12/544128ff96bd93a404000051

To encourage the existence of a traditional bookmakers, I would offer an tax incentive for those who bet to a low margin and accept large bets in FOBT-less shops. At the moment they bet to very big margins and refuse to take many bets. The betting market in the far east is thriving by accepting enormous bets at low margin, and that is something I feel we could tap into. I have many contacts in the bookmaking game, both poacher and gamekeeper so to speak, and could help pack out a detailed policy if you decide to follow it up.

If we press this policy I feel it will be both a vote winner and enhance UKIPs reputation as the party that has the interests of the working class at heart"
  • Options
    Item 1 isn't a statement of the obvious. In the absence of any deal to the contrary, the treaties fall away at the end of the Article 50 period, so by default that's the end of any ECJ involvement and jurisdiction.

It is, however, a reasonable provision as part of a full deal for the post-Brexit relationship. As such, I can't see it being much of a problem. It's the post-Brexit trade deal which matters, not these minor sub-clauses of the trade deal.
  • Options

Corbyn would've done better to not whip at all. The amendment clearly won't pass. Even by whipping to abstain he picks a side, and Corbyn really needs to straddle the fence for as long as humanly possible.

Interesting quote from CiF commentator:

"We've now seen Corbyn when he's in campaign mode.
    He didn't CAMPAIGN for remain."

Perhaps people will begin to notice this - @Richard_H perhaps that will be it..?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Could the tories ever go for someone of the left of the tory party like Heidi Allen ?

She seems to know where the tory party should be heading with policies and she is very confident in herself.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Item 1 isn't a statement of the obvious. In the absence of any deal to the contrary, the treaties fall away at the end of the Article 50 period, so by default that's the end of any ECJ involvement and jurisdiction.

It is, however, a reasonable provision as part of a full deal for the post-Brexit relationship. As such, I can't see it being much of a problem. It's the post-Brexit trade deal which matters, not these minor sub-clauses of the trade deal.
    Edit: In fact, it's rather amusing. Having told us that immediately on Brexit we'll just be a third-party country with no special relationship with the EU, they are now busy publishing position papers telling us that they do want us to have a special relationship with the EU, quite unlike any third-party country.
  • Options

DavidL said:

She did come second in a five horse race, so must have some support in the PCP. Sure her "as a mother" was crass, albeit perhaps true, and her CV would embarass Dr Paul Nuttall, but she cannot be much more useless than the otber members of cabinet!
    Was it a race or an abattoir? I could never make my mind up.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    TOPPING said:

Perhaps people will begin to notice this - @Richard_H perhaps that will be it..?
    Nice to see that the penny has dropped.

For those of us who voted remain, the spectacle of Corbyn trying to get our votes on this basis is pretty distasteful. Not just a utopian, but a dishonest one, too.
  • Options

Edit: In fact, it's rather amusing. Having told us that immediately on Brexit we'll just be a third-party country with no special relationship with the EU, they are now busy publishing position papers telling us that they do want us to have a special relationship with the EU, quite unlike any third-party country.
    Not really. All 3 points are basically "I have started, so I will finish". The alternative is that plaintiffs cases expire immediately on Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Could the tories ever go for someone of the left of the tory party like Heidi Allen ?

She seems to know where the tory party should be heading with policies and she is very confident in herself.

It's not a snide point, but I truly don't know why Heidi Allen joined the Conservatives.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Scott_P said:
    Leaving aside everything else for the moment, EU documents are typically a lot easier to follow than UK government ones. If we have to leave it would be good if we could at least learn that skill.
  • Options

The decisions of the Courts matter because they are capable of being enforced by the laws of the United Kingdom. In the absence of an agreement CJE decisions will cease to fall into that category when we leave so any subsequent ruling will be irrelevant and unenforceable.

In reality it is likely to be more complicated than that. If, for example, we want to remain a part of the European patent system (and we may well do) then we will have to give the CJE decisions on such matters effect in the UK. But I suggest that this sort of thing is going to be by exception, not by generality.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Melania Trump has an anti cyber bullying initiative.
    Have to say I thought that would be made up - but the irony is so delicious...
  • Options

There does come a point at which you begin to wonder what part of "we're leaving" they didn't get.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Scott_P said:
    They presumably thought they could have their cake and eat it, and have a get out of jail free card in addition?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nice to see that the penny has dropped.

For those of us who voted remain, the spectacle of Corbyn trying to get our votes on this basis is pretty distasteful. Not just a utopian, but a dishonest one, too.
    People wouldn't have it on the doorstep, that said, they were just angry with the Cons for having the referendum. But perhaps as they ponder the choices in front of them (remainer leading the Cons, leaver leading Lab) this might change things at the margin.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880408582310776832

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880410114456465411
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There does come a point at which you begin to wonder what part of "we're leaving" they didn't get.
    I'm sure there are clubs where you don't get your full year's subscription refunded when you resign in April.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    **** Jon Snow!

That is all! :D
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Leaving aside everything else for the moment, EU documents are typically a lot easier to follow than UK government ones. If we have to leave it would be good if we could at least learn that skill.
    I would not agree with that (without in any way being an admirer of our legislation).

The problem is that EU documents tend to tell you what they want to do rather than what they are actually doing. This means you are left with a lot of aspirational wording which Courts then have to try and give a "purposeful" intent to. This can make advising clients of the effect of the provisions a lot more complicated than a traditional black letter, reductivist approach.

There are areas, such as tax avoidance, where we have copied this approach. I am not sure it can be claimed these have greatly added to certainty or predictability.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    @isam

Thank you for the considered responses and there's very little with which I would disagree.

I worked in betting shops in the 1980s and it was a very different world. Nowadays, the sheer volume of betting opportunities (both real and artificial) in shops makes any attempt to keep on top of them fruitless.

I do think the adage "less is more" applies and I also think the shops could become more like cafes with betting (on the continental model). As you say, take out the FOBTs, let half of them close and if they can be redeveloped as residential accommodation so be it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I'm sure there are clubs where you don't get your full year's subscription refunded when you resign in April.
    Oh sure and I have no problem with paying our share as we promised. But there are not many clubs that insist you are bound by their constitution after you have left.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880408582310776832

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880410114456465411
    What's he on about?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Oh sure and I have no problem with paying our share as we promised. But there are not many clubs that insist you are bound by their constitution after you have left.
    Let's suppose there is a club tiddly-winks competition and you think you won, but another member thinks they did. You then leave the club but the dispute is outstanding. Surely the club's committee gets to decide the issue?
  • Options
    isam said:

@stodge pt 2

"My idea would be to make bookmakers who want FOBTs in their shops re apply for a license as an amusement arcade rather than a bookmaker, and remove their ability to take bets on sport in that shop if such a licence is granted. I predict that Bookmakers such as Ladbrokes, Coral and William Hill would baulk at this, but at the moment they are no more than fences for FOBTs anyway. They wont take bets off people who have any clue about betting, but are happy to let the poorest in society lose their wages in a machine which it is impossible to beat. Strange as it may sound, the name Ladbrokes/Hills/Corals adds a cloak of respectability to the mugging that takes place inside their shops. Attaching their name to an amusement arcade would (a) discourage them from applying as it would damage their brand, and (b) give the authorities the chance to deny permission for the arcade. Either would be a bonus for the man in the street.

Because they cannot be beaten, the bookies let anybody have anything they like in these machines

.@Coral You took this from a known #gambling #addict on Friday. Anything to say to his children this Christmas? pic.twitter.com/5JIfztXZrL

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/luis-louis-ladbrokes-life.html

and here

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html

and here is a blog from a betting shop worker who knows the truth behind the supposed advice to "Bet responsibly"

To encourage the existence of a traditional bookmakers, I would offer an tax incentive for those who bet to a low margin and accept large bets in FOBT-less shops. At the moment they bet to very big margins and refuse to take many bets. The betting market in the far east is thriving by accepting enormous bets at low margin, and that is something I feel we could tap into. I have many contacts in the bookmaking game, both poacher and gamekeeper so to speak, and could help pack out a detailed policy if you decide to follow it up.

If we press this policy I feel it will be both a vote winner and enhance UKIPs reputation as the party that has the interests of the working class at heart"

And presumably that's why they try to find racing from any old where to show up until 10pm plus their cartoon races...just to keep the doors open for the FOBT punters.
  • Options
    stodge said:

@isam

Thank you for the considered responses and there's very little with which I would disagree.

I worked in betting shops in the 1980s and it was a very different world. Nowadays, the sheer volume of betting opportunities (both real and artificial) in shops makes any attempt to keep on top of them fruitless.

I do think the adage "less is more" applies and I also think the shops could become more like cafes with betting (on the continental model). As you say, take out the FOBTs, let half of them close and if they can be redeveloped as residential accommodation so be it.

Cheers, yes I agree; less is more. I sent that mail to Ukip, & the policy team seemed keen. Carswell didn't respond though - Tories generally seem to be pro FOBT
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Let's suppose there is a club tiddly-winks competition and you think you won, but another member thinks they did. You then leave the club but the dispute is outstanding. Surely the club's committee gets to decide the issue?
    Well they can decide you don't get the prize but they can't order you to pay it to someone else. They no longer have jurisdiction over you.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    ***Prays to a deity whose existence I doubt that the next 18 days are quiet on the political front***
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

@stodge pt 2

"My idea would be to make bookmakers who want FOBTs in their shops re apply for a license as an amusement arcade ratherwould baulk at this, but at the moment they are no more than fences for FOBTs anyway. They wont take bets off people who have any clue about betting, but are happy to let the poorest in society lose their wages in a machine which it is impossible to beat. Strange as it may sound, the name Ladbrokes/Hills/Corals adds a cloak of respectability to the mugging that takes place inside their shops. Attaching their name to an amusement arcade would (a) discourage them from applying as it would damage their brand, and (b) give the authorities the chance to deny permission for the arcade. Either would be a bonus for the man in the street.

and here

And presumably that's why they try to find racing from any old where to show up until 10pm plus their cartoon races...just to keep the doors open for the FOBT punters.
    Yes and often the shops are single staffed. My local Hills has a young girl on her own in there just to keep the FOBTs running until 10pm all year. Not a safe environment w tempers fraying imo

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/31/big-gamble-dangerous-british-betting-shops
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Well they can decide you don't get the prize but they can't order you to pay it to someone else. They no longer have jurisdiction over you.
    Hmm no I suppose not. What if while a member you promised to pay? Just ignore the committee's decision, I suppose.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

***Prays to a deity whose existence I doubt that the next 18 days are quiet on the political front***

Heard rumours cchq are recruiting campaign managers.
  • Options

If Theresa falls it'll be all your fault. I hope your ready!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Bugger.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Bugger.
    http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=61420
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

@stodge pt 2

"My idea would be to make bookmakers who want FOBTs in their shops re apply for a license as an amusement arcade ratherwould baulk at this, but at the moment they are no more than fences for FOBTs anyway. They wont take bets off people who have any clue about betting, but are happy to let the poorest in society lose their wages in a machine which it is impossible to beat. Strange as it may sound, the name Ladbrokes/Hills/Corals adds a cloak of respectability to the mugging that takes place inside their shops. Attaching their name to an amusement arcade would (a) discourage them from applying as it would damage their brand, and (b) give the authorities the chance to deny permission for the arcade. Either would be a bonus for the man in the street.

and here

Yes and often the shops are single staffed. My local Hills has a young girl on her own in there just to keep the FOBTs running until 10pm all year. Not a safe environment w tempers fraying imo

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/31/big-gamble-dangerous-british-betting-shops
    I have walked into bookies and seen some of those machines completely trashed. I wouldn't ask any employee to get between that and the rage of the person who did it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No offence but £25k isn't going to get you Lynton, is it...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It'll all go wrong on July 8th.

I'm best man at a wedding that day.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Hmm no I suppose not. What if while a member you promised to pay? Just ignore the committee's decision, I suppose.
    Exactly so. They get to decide everything that happens inside their jurisdiction including what happens to Brits that live there and vice versa.

But as I said it won't be as simple as that. One of the better parts of the Single Market rules from a lawyers point of view is the mutual enforcement provisions for judgments. I would be very disappointed if we lost that. It is much simpler at present to enforce a German decree than an American one. We should try to keep it that way.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well its got to be worth a try after the last effort.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think you better get the bride and groom to cancel. Tell them to get married in November. The weather may be terrible but nothing ever happens in politics in November...
  • Options
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

There are probably other places you could indulge your love of tiddly-winks. On the other hand when it comes to European politics, the EU has a monopoly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

There are probably other places you could indulge your love of tiddly-winks. On the other hand when it comes to European politics, the EU has a monopoly.
    I think you will find that is not so. Indeed the percentage of Europe not subject to EU rules is just about to increase very considerably.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I think you better get the bride and groom to cancel. Tell them to get married in November. The weather may be terrible but nothing ever happens in politics in November...
    There's two grooms at this wedding.

And I haven't even started on my best man's speech.
  • Options

Mr Lewis on the naughty step:

twitter.com/politicshome/status/880449532093501440

Too busy tweeting crap?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Grrr, I've just discovered that HMRC, in a bid to 'simplify' things, has now decided that if you have any invoices issued in foreign currency, you can no longer use their on-line Corporation Tax submission system for small companies. Utterly bonkers, and it was never the case before.

So, does anyone have any experience of the commercial systems for filing Corporation Tax returns? Our affairs are extremely simple, so I just need the absolute basics and preferably at very low cost.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hard to believe that the weather in November is going to be much worse than this. Windy, wet, cold, overcast, just horrible.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Lynton is a loser. He is not wanted.
  • Options
    Clive Lewis the ONLY Mp to miss the vote. Everyone else who makes up the numbers either voted or could not by convention (Various shades of speaker & deputies)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe Lynton's stock has fallen after GE2017 and Zac.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Clive Lewis the ONLY Mp to miss the vote. Everyone else who makes up the numbers either voted or could not by convention (Various shades of speaker & deputies)

Was there not 2 Tories missing as well?
  • Options

Too busy tweeting crap?
    In the pub with Justin?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Grr, I've just discovered that HMRC, in a bid to 'simplify' things, has now decided that if you have any invoices issued in foreign currency, you can no longer use their on-line Corporation Tax submission system for small companies. Utterly bonkers, and it was never the case before.

That's been the case for as long as I've known it.
  • Options

Too busy tweeting crap?
    In the pub with Justin?
    LOL
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ah. Tiddly-winks.

What other sport allows you to roll on a carpet with members of the opposite sex?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

@stodge pt 2

and here

That is why the likes of Black Type should be encouraged, a proper bookmaker that will take a bet.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Was there not 2 Tories missing as well?
    No.
    John Bercow speaker,
    Eleanor Laing Ways & Means,
    David Amess Temp Deputy speaker.
    Andrew Griffiths 1st teller
    Mrs Heather Wheeler 2nd teller.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ah. Tiddly-winks.

What other sport allows you to roll on a carpet with members of the opposite sex?
    Twister?
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Ah. Tiddly-winks.

There was a Scottish Judge, some time ago now, particularly infamous for having relationships with the spouses of others. In his obituary in the Scotsman they commented that he was a well known lover of indoor sports.
  • Options
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. England, first I've heard of Black Type.
  • Options
    Gove is nether Urquhart nor Machiavelli.

More Wile E Coyote.

• Options
    edited June 2017

Grr, I've just discovered that HMRC, in a bid to 'simplify' things, has now decided that if you have any invoices issued in foreign currency, you can no longer use their on-line Corporation Tax submission system for small companies. Utterly bonkers, and it was never the case before.

That's been the case for as long as I've known it.
    So HMRC are claiming, but I am quite certain that in previous years I checked the eligibility criteria and it wasn't listed, and they've never complained when the accounts showed an exchange gain or loss. In any case it's bonkers - why on earth does it matter?
  • Options
    Mixed message:

https://twitter.com/Cartoon4sale/status/880444802445299712

Ulster propping up May....or under her heel.....unlike Osborne to let that pass....
  • Options
    isam said:

Nowt as queer as folk

twitter.com/standardnews/status/880449857240084481

There is a reasonable body of evidence that links homophobia to suppressed homosexuality....
  • Options

isam said:

Nowt as queer as folk

There is a reasonable body of evidence that links homophobia to suppressed homosexuality....
    I kinda get what they are talking about. My younger children (13 and 20) are resolutely anti-homophobic and yet use the word "gay" as a form of abuse. When I point out what to me is the obvious inconsistency in this they just assure me that I am old (which is of course true).
  • Options

isam said:

Nowt as queer as folk

Hope arachnophobia doesn't work in the same way.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

blacktype.bet

Will take a bet to win £500, more on request. They promise not to ban winners, though I know of one idiot who complained that he was banned and they were a sham etc, turned out he backed both horses in a 2-horse race!

geoff-banks.com are a proper old school bookmaker as well
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. England, thanks. If/when I branch out from my two accounts (still haven't opened any more since I started, in 2009 or even earlier) I'll definitely give them a look.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

blacktype.bet

Will take a bet to win £500, more on request. They promise not to ban winners, though I know of one idiot who complained that he was banned and they were a sham etc, turned out he backed both horses in a 2-horse race!

geoff-banks.com are a proper old school bookmaker as well
    Black Type banned me after I took about £300 off them.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    When the coalition took office in 2010, most people recognised that the economy was in a steep dive and that sharp spending cuts had to be made because investors would stop lending to the government.

That's when we should have cut public sector salaries by 5%-10% depending on the level. Plus slashed government spending on everything else by 5%.

That way we would have eliminated the deficit within a couple of years at a time when people could see it was necessary.

Now we still have a deficit of £50bn a year and few people think it is a problem (mistakenly) so it is harder to correct the problem.

IMF here we come.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

As a matter of curiosity are there 2 best mens speeches, but no toast for the bridesmaids?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Amendment Division: 297-323

Several more opposition missing today.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Good for them. :)

Wouldn't have happened without Cameron and the coalition. :D

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    https://twitter.com/derekrootboy/status/880389240743448577
    Do Corbynistas not understand that it's pathetic to act like a member of cult as opposed to an individual capable of independent thinking? UK's answer to Trump 'MAGA' fanatics, but they can't see it.

I support Chuka Umunna doing this amendment. Can't way to see how sad Corbynistas try to argue that Chuka is a 'Tory' because of this when the men they support are closer to the line of Hard Brexit.
  • Options

When the coalition took office in 2010, most people recognised that the economy was in a steep dive and that sharp spending cuts had to be made because investors would stop lending to the government.

That's when we should have cut public sector salaries by 5%-10% depending on the level. Plus slashed government spending on everything else by 5%.

That way we would have eliminated the deficit within a couple of years at a time when people could see it was necessary.

Now we still have a deficit of £50bn a year and few people think it is a problem (mistakenly) so it is harder to correct the problem.

IMF here we come.

Brexit will get the blame.
This discussion has been closed.