Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ex-strong favourite BoJo slips even further in the next CON le

Comments

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    JackW said:

Are people really wittering about a billion quid ?

Its a trivial amount compared to the money thrown away so Cameron could play Lord Bountiful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_development_aid_country_donors

And at least the DUP money will be spent in this country.

Planned Overseas Aid = Bad
    Unplanned Ulster Bung = Good

What's a billion quid or rather approx £24bn between the new bosom pals of the Con/DUP APP ?
    It all comes from the same magic money tree only some is being distributed outside of the UK and some within it.

But perhaps you can explain where the £24bn comes from. If you say WFA and TLP then you're even more inaccurate than your election prediction.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Just catching up a bit, I think one reason the Con/DUP deal will be seen in a different light to a potential Lab/SNP/SF one is that the DUP are not trying to break up the country. It's one thing to have to partner a minor party who's aims are broadly in line with rUK, at least in terms of the future of the country, but quite a different one to partner with parties who's sole aim is to break up the UK. I'm not going to say price worth paying, because I think we'd have been better off daring the DUP to vote us down and let Jez/SF into No. 10, it would have been sufficient IMO.

In other news, the Brexit temperature in Australia is warm to hot. A few months ago it was tepid apparently. Ideal Brexit is seen as Britain staying in the single market but also becoming an independent member of the WTO, lots of people I spoke to today think that we'd bring a new and powerful voice for services trade liberalisation to the WTO, something the EU doesn't do at all.
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    JackW said:

Its a trivial amount compared to the money thrown away so Cameron could play Lord Bountiful:

What's a billion quid or rather approx £24bn between the new bosom pals of the Con/DUP APP ?
    I see very little difference between the DUP negotiating for more money for their constituents and Labour governments channelling more money to Labour councils. Except for the scale of the money involved.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Quiz question. Who was the last British MP to be called Hannibal?

Was it Hannibal?

Edit: sorry, obvious joke.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    OchEye said:

rkrkrk said:

Jonathan said:

Curious that Gove is not on the chart.

Gove and Hunt surely have a better chance than Prit Patel.
    Gove has the most "Want to Slap" face in Westminster, and Hunt is so toxic that most people pronounce his name with a C instead of an H.
    Vote Leave put Gove front and centre and it didn't stop us from winning. He's not lovable but he's a serious, clever politician. Who cares if some teachers who vote Labour anyway don't like him?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715

PClipp said:

Nigelb said:

It is a measure of how utterly diminished May is that her unnecessary election campaign was convincingly taken apart this morning on R4 by..... Grant Shapps.

To be fair to Grant Shapps, he does know how to run a Tory majority winning general election campaign, unlike Mrs May.
    Only by cheating though....
    Tell me how his cheating differed from the Labour cheating and the LibDem cheating, in that they were each fined by the Electoral Commission.

Or are you still trying to make hay about the battle bus? You know, the one where there were no charges, so everyone is innocent in the eyes of the law? Except for that higher legal force, snide LibDems gits.....
    Mark you keep saying this. You must know it is misrepresenting reality. Lab and LD were fined for failure to declare some expenses on their national returns. Admin errors that had no impact, but a failure to take proper care to disclose properly. Conservatives declared local expenses on national returns as per the Electoral Commission and received a much higher fine for doing so. The Electoral Commission also found them obstructive. However the issue of the local returns itself is a Police matter. The reason for there not being a prosecution was not an issue of not doing it and doing it deliberately but the difficulty of proving the agents and candidates were aware of it. Something I have a lot of sympathy with as it was clearly driven nationally. Trying to claim it didn't happen, when it clearly did is perverse.

Sadly by making no clear distinction between honest careless or even negligent mistakes does not do our democracy any favours. I give you the example of the DUP being fined for declaring local expenses on national returns, when they also declared them locally. In effect being fined for over declaring. Utter nonsense.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding the DUP deal, I do wonder if there is a longer term risk to British democracy.

(Hear me out.)

If I were an ambitious, sensible and smart leader of the Scottish nationalists, I would be thinking less about Scottish independence and more about Scottish pork. Bringing government spending to Scotland would seem to be a surer route to re-election than another referendum. "Only we will stand up for Scottish interests, and only we can bring jobs to Scotland" is a pretty effective rallying cry.

Now imagine you were sitting in Cornwall. It's another poorer part of the UK, with strong regional identity. It even has an existing nationalist party. Perhaps it could run candidates that would stand up and bring pork to Cornwall? The LibDems and Labour Party are weak there, and someone standing up for local interests who could bring a billion pounds to the region... well that would look pretty attractive.

I suspect I'm wrong. But if regionalism - and begger thy neighbour politics - is seen to pay, then we will get more of it. This is not a good thing.

The government are paying a going rate of £100M a vote. That's a big incentive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Regarding the DUP deal, I do wonder if there is a longer term risk to British democracy.

(Hear me out.)

If I were an ambitious, sensible and smart leader of the Scottish nationalists, I would be thinking less about Scottish independence and more about Scottish pork. Bringing government spending to Scotland would seem to be a surer route to re-election than another referendum. "Only we will stand up for Scottish interests, and only we can bring jobs to Scotland" is a pretty effective rallying cry.

Now imagine you were sitting in Cornwall. It's another poorer part of the UK, with strong regional identity. It even has an existing nationalist party. Perhaps it could run candidates that would stand up and bring pork to Cornwall? The LibDems and Labour Party are weak there, and someone standing up for local interests who could bring a billion pounds to the region... well that would look pretty attractive.

I suspect I'm wrong. But if regionalism - and begger thy neighbour politics - is seen to pay, then we will get more of it. This is not a good thing.

I think that's a possibility.

May's decision to exempt Scotland from WFA restrictions was idiotically dangerous.

It really was an encouragement to regional demands
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    rcs1000 said:

Hannibal Vyvyan?
  • Options
    Is this an official CCHQ spin line -- that Labour used to be at it in some nefarious but unspecified way, so the MayDUP bung is small beer in comparison? It seems to be quite popular this morning. Perhaps someone will fill in the details later.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It is a measure of how utterly diminished May is that her unnecessary election campaign was convincingly taken apart this morning on R4 by..... Grant Shapps.

To be fair to Grant Shapps, he does know how to run a Tory majority winning general election campaign, unlike Mrs May.
    He does seem to be another one of May's unnecessary enemies, now coming back to haunt her.
    It seems she didn't like nearly all of the Cameroons. Osborne is one thing, but to make enemies of so many of them was a bad idea.
    Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Amber Rudd and Justine Greening are currently serving in her cabinet.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

Ms. Apocalypse, sound point on Boris.

Mr. Observer, if we'd had a referendum on EU citizens in the UK that would be a relevant point.

Party power is determined by MPs, not votes.

Our PM justified her Brexit strategy to EU leaders last week on the basis that over 80% of voters had backed pro-Brexit parties in the election.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,241

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Democracy, dangerous thing, you feel? Better to use public money for party advantage than to risk voters having another say?

You must be one of those extremist sympathisers I read about. A Hamas supporter, perhaps?
    The voters just had their say. What's wrong with trying to make what they said work? The public delivered a clear message to all of the parties. It's very telling that the first reaction of all the politicians is to assume the public got it wrong in some way.
    Indeed. They didn't trust the Conservatives with a majority, and didn't trust Labour in power.

Trying to engineer an election on the basis that they got it wrong would probably turn out badly.
    Agree, the vote was a rejection of posturing and hard Brexit willy waving. People, and especially the younger voters who will be more directly affected, utterly rejected the vision of May, Davies, Bozo and Fox.

As for Corbyn's vote, people clearly want a deal which protects their jobs, their services and their rights. They want an end to austerity and above all they want proper pay rises, not changes to income tax thresholds paid for by demolition of the services they use.

Let's hope Theresa got these messages. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Then the manifesto was released, and the conversation turned to social care and winter fuel payments. At that point the Conservative poll numbers fell to the low 40s. The beneficiary was a Labour Party that had also committed to leaving the single market, but was strongly against the changes to social care and winter fuel payment.

The two parties vigorously campaigning against a hard Brexit, the Liberal Democrats and the SNP, slumped for the whole campaign.

This is a rejection of a hard Brexit apparently.
    Depends if you believed the polls, which seem likely to have been overestimating Tory share for some time, and in any case those most affected by the manifesto content largely voted for you anyway. Young people are angry with the Tories, and they're not the ones who are dying at a rate of several thousand per week. The next generation of oldies, the Generation X'ers, are nowhere near as well disposed to the Tories as the Boomers were, for whom voting Tory is and was a lifestyle thing.

Underestimate this at your peril, or else you are heading for a 1997 result next time.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Oh dear, will this upset Ruthie's chances now. Getting sued by a Tory Candidate for the EP because even though she should have been automatically selected, plus she had the experience, Ruthie's Fav, who was 5th on the list got chosen instead...Ooops! How to lose friends....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/26/former-candidates-sue-conservative-party-after-missing-out-on-mep-posts
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

Nigelb said:

He does seem to be another one of May's unnecessary enemies, now coming back to haunt her.
    It seems she didn't like nearly all of the Cameroons. Osborne is one thing, but to make enemies of so many of them was a bad idea.
    It might not be that she didn't like them personally, although that certainly seems to be the case with one or two. It might be that she felt a break with the past and the austerity years was best, and she also might have been concerned that some may have been more interested in aiding others rather than herself.

In some ways it doesn't matter, as the end results been hideous for her whatever her reasoning.
    They represented an approach that she didn't agree with not to say didn't understand: communicating, listening, taking advice delegating.

We're have seen how that worked out.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

...even that's untrue. There will be hundreds of votes on which the DUP will support the Govt. The left and Mathematics are strangers to one another.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

rcs1000 said:

Was it Hannibal?

Edit: sorry, obvious joke.
    There's an Elephant in the room....
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.120629096

Labour leader.

There are plenty to lay, and McDonnell at 29/46 to back. Seeing as how the hard left have control of the Labour party that looks better to me than Cooper @ 9-1 (Who I have just laid a touch)

Was just looking at that market myself.
    Agree with your lay...

Nia Griffith at 419-1?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578
    MaxPB said:

Just catching up a bit, I think one reason the Con/DUP deal will be seen in a different light to a potential Lab/SNP/SF one is that the DUP are not trying to break up the country. It's one thing to have to partner a minor party who's aims are broadly in line with rUK, at least in terms of the future of the country, but quite a different one to partner with parties who's sole aim is to break up the UK. I'm not going to say price worth paying, because I think we'd have been better off daring the DUP to vote us down and let Jez/SF into No. 10, it would have been sufficient IMO.

In other news, the Brexit temperature in Australia is warm to hot. A few months ago it was tepid apparently. Ideal Brexit is seen as Britain staying in the single market but also becoming an independent member of the WTO, lots of people I spoke to today think that we'd bring a new and powerful voice for services trade liberalisation to the WTO, something the EU doesn't do at all.

Australians seem remarkably well informed on matters of trade.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

These negotiations will only happen when there is a hung parliament. I don't think that happens enough to make a big difference to voting behaviour. Besides, Cornwall already has so many more blessings than every other county of the United Kingdom, so it would seem rather unfair to get more public spending too.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Democracy, dangerous thing, you feel? Better to use public money for party advantage than to risk voters having another say?

You must be one of those extremist sympathisers I read about. A Hamas supporter, perhaps?
    The voters just had their say. What's wrong with trying to make what they said work? The public delivered a clear message to all of the parties. It's very telling that the first reaction of all the politicians is to assume the public got it wrong in some way.
    Indeed. They didn't trust the Conservatives with a majority, and didn't trust Labour in power.

Trying to engineer an election on the basis that they got it wrong would probably turn out badly.
    Agree, the vote was a rejection of posturing and hard Brexit willy waving. People, and especially the younger voters who will be more directly affected, utterly rejected the vision of May, Davies, Bozo and Fox.

As for Corbyn's vote, people clearly want a deal which protects their jobs, their services and their rights. They want an end to austerity and above all they want proper pay rises, not changes to income tax thresholds paid for by demolition of the services they use.

Then the manifesto was released, and the conversation turned to social care and winter fuel payments. At that point the Conservative poll numbers fell to the low 40s. The beneficiary was a Labour Party that had also committed to leaving the single market, but was strongly against the changes to social care and winter fuel payment.

The two parties vigorously campaigning against a hard Brexit, the Liberal Democrats and the SNP, slumped for the whole campaign.

Depends if you believed the polls, which seem likely to have been overestimating Tory share for some time, and in any case those most affected by the manifesto content largely voted for you anyway. Young people are angry with the Tories, and they're not the ones who are dying at a rate of several thousand per week. The next generation of oldies, the Generation X'ers, are nowhere near as well disposed to the Tories as the Boomers were, for whom voting Tory is and was a lifestyle thing.

Underestimate this at your peril, or else you are heading for a 1997 result next time.
    The local election results suggest the Tories weren't being overestimated. They were ahead then shot themselves in the foot with social care and pensioner benefits.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

I think there were plenty of reasons for the regions to want to further themselves, maybe at the expense of others, before this latest deal.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

...even that's untrue. There will be hundreds of votes on which the DUP will support the Govt. The left and Mathematics are strangers to one another.
    £1bn / 10 DUP MPs = £100m a vote.

Apparently you are a stranger to how to frame a problem.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    When's recess?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

It all comes from the same magic money tree only some is being distributed outside of the UK and some within it.

But perhaps you can explain where the £24bn comes from. If you say WFA and TLP then you're even more inaccurate than your election prediction.
    Another magic money tree follower ?!?

Presumably the Conservative manifesto was costed somewhere and not just on the back of a fag packet. If the savings from not implementing WFA and TLP changes are dropped where is the shortfall coming from? .... presumably another magic money tree in the same orchard?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

Curious that Gove is not on the chart.

Gove being off the scale is hardly new?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    kjh said:

PClipp said:

Nigelb said:

Only by cheating though....
    Tell me how his cheating differed from the Labour cheating and the LibDem cheating, in that they were each fined by the Electoral Commission.

Or are you still trying to make hay about the battle bus? You know, the one where there were no charges, so everyone is innocent in the eyes of the law? Except for that higher legal force, snide LibDems gits.....
    Mark you keep saying this. You must know it is misrepresenting reality. Lab and LD were fined for failure to declare some expenses on their national returns. Admin errors that had no impact, but a failure to take proper care to disclose properly. Conservatives declared local expenses on national returns as per the Electoral Commission and received a much higher fine for doing so. The Electoral Commission also found them obstructive. However the issue of the local returns itself is a Police matter. The reason for there not being a prosecution was not an issue of not doing it and doing it deliberately but the difficulty of proving the agents and candidates were aware of it. Something I have a lot of sympathy with as it was clearly driven nationally. Trying to claim it didn't happen, when it clearly did is perverse.

Sadly by making no clear distinction between honest careless or even negligent mistakes does not do our democracy any favours. I give you the example of the DUP being fined for declaring local expenses on national returns, when they also declared them locally. In effect being fined for over declaring. Utter nonsense.
    Some of the election law is bizarre. I was involved in a similar case many, many years ago. I don't want to go into the specifics here, but an individual cheated (fraud) on behalf of 2 candidates in a local election. The candidates and agent were unaware. It was a rogue act, but may well have influenced the election. The only case that could be brought was one of electoral expenses because the cheating had a financial implication that could be easily quantified. The agent had a choice of filing the return he had always intended or adding the expense that he had not authorised (and never would have) and would have busted the limit. He did the former. He was arrested. There was no dispute as to what had happened. After about 2 years the CPS decided not to charge him for lack of evidence.
  • Options

When's recess?

Normally late July to early September, but the Tories proposed a longer twelve week one this time, starting after the QS and ending early October, not sure whether this is formally agreed as yet?
  • Options

When's recess?

20th July until the 5th of September.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Observer, this may shock you, but I'm not convinced using an argument also used by Theresa May necessarily enhances your argument's persuasive power. :p
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

The local election results suggest the Tories weren't being overestimated. They were ahead then shot themselves in the foot with social care and pensioner benefits.
    Labour are currently completely dependent on an age group that is notoriously inconsistent in voting turning out at incredibly high rates. Perhaps they will do it again, but I wouldn't want to count on it, particularly if Corbyn struggles aged 73 at the next election.

Young people voting Labour at such high levels is a worry, but more of a long term one for me. We must fix it by addressing their concerns about good jobs, high housing costs and high student debt. We are already delivering on the first, but we must build a lot of new housing and do something on student debt. I think we should come up with a new savings account where you can save money for your first property before your income is calculated for student loan repayment.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

I think there were plenty of reasons for the regions to want to further themselves, maybe at the expense of others, before this latest deal.
    Davidson and her Scottish contingent would appear to have the biggest problem, since their votes should be as valuable as the DUP yet they have nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

These negotiations will only happen when there is a hung parliament. I don't think that happens enough to make a big difference to voting behaviour. Besides, Cornwall already has so many more blessings than every other county of the United Kingdom, so it would seem rather unfair to get more public spending too.
    The more regional movements there are, the more likely hung parliaments are. It's - potentially - a self-reinforcing cycle.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

Scot Nats are focused on independence not more dependence

To coin a catchy slogan.
  • Options

JackW said:

I see very little difference between the DUP negotiating for more money for their constituents and Labour governments channelling more money to Labour councils. Except for the scale of the money involved.
    The difference being I'd rather prefer not to hear quite so much DUP guff about the Union when they attempt to shaft England, Wales and Scotland. It's all for one and one for all when it suits them and I'm all right Jack when the cash till rings.

• Options
    Mr. 1000, indeed. It's why wanting shitty little regional assemblies in England is such an indefensibly insane idea (unless you want to destroy England, of course).
  • Options
    Shocked by the lack of knowledge about British MPs named Hannibal.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,241
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

The demographics of the vote suggest otherwise. People turned out for GE who didn't vote in LE. Also this year's LE were focused on your strongest - rural - areas. They were not a very good indicator.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Presumably the Conservative manifesto was costed somewhere and not just on the back of a fag packet. If the savings from not implementing WFA and TLP changes are dropped where is the shortfall coming from? .... presumably another magic money tree in the same orchard?
    So you can't explain the £24bn - thought not.

But we are on the magic money tree and that's because the country wants to be. On a purely practical issue there is no chance of getting restrictions on TLP and WFA through parliament irrespective of the DUP stance.

Still interesting to see you having reservations about the magic money tree now - I don't remember you being so concerned when Osborne was borrowing hundreds of billions more from those same magic money trees than he said he would.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

All the evidence suggests that the Tories were ahead, but never by as much as the fiddled polls suggested. YouGov's model (and the local elections) imply a national Tory lead before the election was called of around 4-6%, which, had it been reported, wouldn't been enough to have persuaded May to chance it IMHO.

Cameron's majority was therefore probably both gained and lost due to the false picture being painted by VI opinion polling. Karma of sorts?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,105
    rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

Perhaps not.
    Another perspective might be that the lions share of spending has gone to London - which is essentially the local interest of the UK parliament - for decades. A corrective to this might not be entirely a bad thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TSE replied earlier. Keep up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    IEA Brexit Unit makes the case that UK divorce bill should not exceed £26 billion

https://iea.org.uk/publications/should-the-uk-pay-an-eu-divorce-bill/
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

JackW said:

JackW said:

But we are on the magic money tree and that's because the country wants to be. On a purely practical issue there is no chance of getting restrictions on TLP and WFA through parliament irrespective of the DUP stance.

Still interesting to see you having reservations about the magic money tree now - I don't remember you being so concerned when Osborne was borrowing hundreds of billions more from those same magic money trees than he said he would.
    Utter garbage. We are on the magic money tree because a humiliated and exhausted PM had to harvest its fruits to buy off a crazed bunch of regionalist sectarian homophobes so she could limp on in government. Nothing you can say or do will change that undeniable fact. And it will be repeated back to the Tories over and over and over again. Suck it up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

The more regional movements there are, the more likely hung parliaments are. It's - potentially - a self-reinforcing cycle.
    A smaller scale example would be local councils which become infested with various independent groups.

I don't know if there has been any study into how that affects the local governance and economy.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017

Nigelb said:

Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Amber Rudd and Justine Greening are currently serving in her cabinet.
    I said 'nearly all' as opposed to all. Though Michael Gove doesn't really count after what happened during EUref. That leaves about three names you've mentioned there, which doesn't really refute the assertion that she's made enemies of many Cameroons unless the likes of Nicky Morgan, Grant Shapps, Anna Soubry, Osborne, Craig Oliver and so on don't exist anymore.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

To coin a catchy slogan.
    That really is quite good.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Utter garbage. We are on the magic money tree because a humiliated and exhausted PM had to harvest its fruits to buy off a crazed bunch of regionalist sectarian homophobes so she could limp on in government. Nothing you can say or do will change that undeniable fact. And it will be repeated back to the Tories over and over and over again. Suck it up.
    That's no way to be talking about Gordon Brown.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hold on. Wasn't there a Tory backbencher with Hannibal as a middle name back in the 80s? It will come to me later, probably shortly after someone else posts his name on here.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The situation is quite simple. The Tories can find 1.4 billion for NI because the DUP will keep them in power. They won't find money for public sector pay rises etc because they reckon the votes of nurses etc won't come to them or keep them in power.
    You do what is practical and power efficient, not what is power inefficient. It sucks, but that is humanity under a money based system.
    There will always be money for pork barrels and the pump priming of warcraft.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, in my own defence, I'm not into modern history.

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Brown only got one vote for a DUP bung - at least May's got two years and possibly more....
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rcs1000 said:

Are we talking about Trollope characters?

Anyway the next quiz is how many Victorian era UK monarchs can you name?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Carlotta

Your pathetic fangirl act really is unbecoming of a Oxford graduate in her sixties who really ought to be old and bright enough to have her own mind.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, in my own defence, I'm not into modern history.

Or classical history.

America's 15th Vice President was called Hannibal Hamlin.

Al Gore grew up in Carthage, so another loser from Carthage, just like Hannibal.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    Unless there's a quick handover, I'm not convinced Hammond is a runner.

I think he'll go down with May's ship.

I was previously backing him, now i've traded out - and will be looking to lay him at the right odds.
  • Options

The approx £24bn I quoted comes from :

£1bn extra cash and about £750m in post BREXIT farm subsidies. Not implementing WFA reform - approx £8bn. TLP about £14.5bn

I never believed in the magic money tree whether Brown or Osborne were plucking billions from the tree. Sustainable debt levels are one thing but sound money is the key to economic success.
  • Options
    Comedy really isn't your strong point Another Richard.

Except that gag about the need for the Tories to make London more like Mansfield. That was hilarious.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Brown only got one vote for a DUP bung - at least May's got two years and possibly more....
    Well we finally seem to have found some government spending that the PB lefties oppose.

Almost as revelatory as last weeks:

Higher pay for public sector workers = good
    Higher pay for agricultural workers = bad
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I gave my answer at 8:36.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you possess all the self-aware confidence of Pharnaces II.
  • Options

Carlotta

Your pathetic fangirl act really is unbecoming of a Oxford graduate in her sixties who really ought to be old and bright enough to have her own mind.

While your relentless ad-hom drivel shows you off in a flattering light.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

Davidson and her Scottish contingent would appear to have the biggest problem, since their votes should be as valuable as the DUP yet they have nothing to show for it.
    She must do things a lot less publicly plus, I can't see the circumstances under which an SCON contingent would vote against the Cons, any more than any other region full of Cons MPs might.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    edited June 2017
    Now that we have a new demographic to consider-the youth vote-it's difficult to see a Brexiteer either winning an election to be leader of their party or a general election.

May and Corbyn were successful by appearing to straddle both camps. May then screwed it up with the most rapid damascene conversion since St Paul.

The country is divided and no one likes to see a divided country. I don't think there's any doubt that May becomming the brexiest Brexiteer in the land was what did it for the Tories. Corbyn is still the Corbyn his own party were laughing at just a few months ago and she couldn't beat him.

Johnson Davis Patel are dead in the water. It can only be Hammond. How are the mighty fallen.....
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, you possess all the self-aware confidence of Pharnaces II.

And oodles of intellectual self confidence.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hold on. Wasn't there a Tory backbencher with Hannibal as a middle name back in the 80s? It will come to me later, probably shortly after someone else posts his name on here.
    Sir Peter Emery. That's the chap. Maybe more 70s than 80s.

Peter Frank Hannibal Emery was born in London on February 27 1926; he was the son of a small clothing manufacturer, FG Emery, and claimed descent from a famous sailor, Captain Hannibal, whose grain-carrying schooners plied between Plymouth and Australia.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1478849/Sir-Peter-Emery.html
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

(Hear me out.)

To coin a catchy slogan.
    If they were they'd be asking for less money from Westminster, not more.......
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Roger said:

Now that we have a new demographic to consider-the youth vote-it's difficult to see a Brexiteer either winning an election to be leader of their party or a general election.

May and Corbyn were successful by appearing to straddle both camps. May then screwed it up with the most rapid damascene conversion since St Paul.

The country is divided and no one likes to see a divided country. I don't think there's any doubt that May becomming the brexiest Brexiteer in the land was what did it for the Tories. Corbyn is still the Corbyn his own party were laughing at just a few months ago and she couldn't beat him.

Johnson Davis Patel are dead in the water. It can only be Hammond. How are the mighty fallen.....

I think I agree with this. She wanted to deliver Hard Brexit (yes, I know) and that simply ignored a large part of the electorate. She could say: I will govern for rich and poor and help the poor, but she found herself unable to say: I will seek a Brexit that we can all support.

Now, of course, there may not be a Brexit that we can all support, but it's what she should have said and tried to achieve.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926

The situation is quite simple. The Tories can find 1.4 billion for NI because the DUP will keep them in power. They won't find money for public sector pay rises etc because they reckon the votes of nurses etc won't come to them or keep them in power.
    You do what is practical and power efficient, not what is power inefficient. It sucks, but that is humanity under a money based system.
    There will always be money for pork barrels and the pump priming of warcraft.

At the end of the day - all countries have to have a bit of pork spending to grease the wheels from time to time. Build an airport or a road here to keep so and so happy even though it's probably not the best investment etc.

It would be interesting to see analysis - but I imagine the UK system is probably fairly good at reducing this sort of spending as we tend to have strong, centralised government.

I certainly think we aren't as prone to it as the US or the EU.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    F1: could be wrong, but I think the last podium was the first since Spain 2013 to have neither a British nor a German on it.

Edited extra bit: *driver, ahem.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

The approx £24bn I quoted comes from :

£1bn extra cash and about £750m in post BREXIT farm subsidies. Not implementing WFA reform - approx £8bn. TLP about £14.5bn

I never believed in the magic money tree whether Brown or Osborne were plucking billions from the tree. Sustainable debt levels are one thing but sound money is the key to economic success.
    TLP reform only saves money when 2.5% is the highest of the three locks and that's unlikely in the near future.

And if the effect of TLPs concern you then I would have expected some criticism of it from 2010 onwards.

Likewise on WFA I don't think we had any idea at what level restrictions were planned. In reality such changes tend to be diluted down to minimise the effect.

In any case there was no chance of restrictions being implemented on either TLP or WFA after the election, irrespective of the DUP.

Nor, for that matter, was there any chance of restrictions being implemented on TLP or WFA before the election. The example of the Budget's proposed NI changes shows that only a landslide majority would guarantee difficult fiscal changes.

And the British people have now shown that they want neither a government with such a majority or any fiscal changes which are detrimental to them.

So its the magic money tree for all of us, with whatever the consequences that will bring.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

You seem to have forgotten that by the next election, the UK will have already Left the EU.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576

Roger said:

You seem to have forgotten that by the next election, the UK will have already Left the EU.
    LOL.
  • Options

Roger said:

LMAO

Brexit is the new Corn Laws.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    Way off-topic:

I've just opened the packaging of a bath mat that I bought the other day. The package contains usage instructions.

Usage instructions for a bath mat.

I despair.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

LMAO

Brexit is the new Corn Laws.
    Indeed. Free Trade or Protectionism.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Are we talking about Trollope characters?

Anyway the next quiz is how many Victorian era UK monarchs can you name?
    Victoria.
  • Options

Way off-topic:

I've just opened the packaging of a bath mat that I bought the other day. The package contains usage instructions.

Usage instructions for a bath mat.

I despair.

You'd be surprised by how many people don't understand the Newtonian laws of motion and friction.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    edited June 2017
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.131081434 surely resolves to May on Thursday now the Gov't has an effective majority of 13 ?

Noone is going to plunge the knife in the next two days, it'd have been done a week ago.
  • Options
    On topic. I probably wouldn't vote for a Davis-led Tory party (assuming I'm ever registered to vote in GB again). His petulant by-election stunt was pathetic. Only Liam Fox would be likely to have a similar effect on me.

Though I guess I might if the alternative was still Corbyn.

Christ.
  • Options
    Victoria Derbyshire Show - The MoD just got a richly deserved pounding from the mother and sister of Lee Rigby over their total failure after his funeral.
  • Options

On topic. I probably wouldn't vote for a Davis-led Tory party (assuming I'm ever registered to vote in GB again). His petulant by-election stunt was pathetic. Only Liam Fox would be likely to have a similar effect on me.

Though I guess I might if the alternative was still Corbyn.

Christ.

Could be worse, you could have a vote in the Tory leadership contest.

Like JohnO, were the two choices Boris or Davis, I'll be likely spoiling my ballot paper.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Great more bluster and flag waving without any substance. Piss or get off the pot Nicky...
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:
    In 2010 three quarters of British people polled said they were considering emigrating as they wanted to leave the UK. That is equivalent to 45 million people - not 1 million EU migrants.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1275878/Three-quarters-Britons-want-emigrate-Australia-popular-destination.html

Oddly I haven't noticed 45 million people Leaving the UK in the last seven years,

Lots of people consider lots of things in their lives - but they don't necessarily act on them.

A lot of this hysteria is based on some weird idea put round in some quarters that come March 2019 3 million EU citizens somehow face being deported overnight. When they calm down and work out they can stay and carry on as before as May has proposed how many really will uproot and leave?

I am tired of could, and might when it comes to Brexit - I would prefer a bit more will and are!

It just demonstrates the bunkum we are having to observe at the moment.
  • Options
    Just catching up on the LBC phone in with the woman in the Kensington block who doesn't want Grenfell residents there because her service charge is £15,500 a year and they'll get it for free. Her argument is that her and her husband have worked hard for their money.
    If we explode the myth that all Grenfell residents are scrounging benefit claimants I think we can assume that many of them have worked hard their whole life too, just not perhaps in such a cushy little earner as the complainant and her spouse. So, what they are actually saying is they shouldn't be allowed to live there is because they are not rich, and she is.
    It's one thing that Ticks me off more than anything, people with money thinking they are the only ones that have worked hard for what they have. Channeling my Trotskyite grandparents here when I say screw them and their piles of cash.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Great more bluster and flag waving without any substance. Piss or get off the pot Nicky...
    she'll be announcing this year's turnip crop is below expecations and people will have to live on saltires
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited June 2017
    I wish the media would give Scottish politics coverage proportionate to its share of the UK population.

Davis should not have made his statement about getting a motion of consent - they can just insert a clause in the Great Repeal Bill to give it effect notwithstanding the Scotland Acts.

Why grant a hostage to fortune?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

I suspect May will stay until the Brexit deal has been agreed, then stand down. Davis chances will hinge upon how well the deal is perceived - and we've got another 18 months to see who else emerges as a potential leader. I'm not sure the Tories will want to experiment again with a 'safe pair of hands whose a bit dull' leader......

They just went for dull pair of hands this time
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

she'll be announcing this year's turnip crop is below expecations and people will have to live on saltires
    Reduced saltires for those with high blood pressure; that deep fried confectionery takes its toll.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'm in a soak the rich mood today. Come on Corbyn, announce a proposal for a one off wealth tax to pay for the refurbishment and infrastructure around our crap tower housing to bring them up to scratch and make safe. Then it can easily be done again and again. Fuck em. Go on Jezza, do it, do it.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Just catching up on the LBC phone in with the woman in the Kensington block who doesn't want Grenfell residents there because her service charge is £15,500 a year and they'll get it for free. Her argument is that her and her husband have worked hard for their money.
    If we explode the myth that all Grenfell residents are scrounging benefit claimants I think we can assume that many of them have worked hard their whole life too, just not perhaps in such a cushy little earner as the complainant and her spouse. So, what they are actually saying is they shouldn't be allowed to live there is because they are not rich, and she is.
    It's one thing that Ticks me off more than anything, people with money thinking they are the only ones that have worked hard for what they have. Channeling my Trotskyite grandparents here when I say screw them and their piles of cash.

So everyone who works hard should get the taxpayer to provide them with free housing in a multi million pound block in Kensington with £15k a year service charges.

What would be wrong with a house with a garden in outer London - which is a much more suitable environment for young kids than a block of flats. It's the choice most working Londoners have to make as they are priced out of zones 1 to 3.

There are right and proper temporary measures - but long term it perhaps isn't a good use of taxpayers money. You don't have to live in Kensington - sorry!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

Its only when you see HMSQE against something else can you fully appreciate the size of the ship:

https://twitter.com/HMSPWLS/status/879472364249075712

It's not giant by international standards, I saw a couple of Nimitz class carriers in San Diego couple of years back, each of them is 30% larger.

Am I right in thinking these were ordered by Gordon Brown?
    If only they had planes
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hannibal Vyvyan?
    Nope, the Hannibal MP was in office until 2001.
This discussion has been closed.