Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says he not standing in LD leadership race

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,363
    Toms said:

Jonathan said:

I think the Tories need to bite the bullet and replace May now. She is not finished doing damage to them. All is not well.

The Tories can be ruthless. Didn't the 1922 committee come down hard on Thatcher? Do they have actual power to depose PMs or is their weight more, um, moral?
    She surely has to be gone by the Party Conference, no?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    SeanT said:

THIS is so much bigger a story than anything else. The UK population is booming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40372533

540,000 in one year. Incredible. We're gonna hit 70m in a few years, 80m seems inevitable. Without trying, we will soon dwarf countries like Italy.

The BBC story is a bit vage on the dates, but I am assuming the increase is between 31 Dec 2015, to 31 Dec 2016. i.e. including over 6 mouths after the referendum.

I do hope that that all the Doom Mongers and others who love to talk down this country, could look at this and accept that we live in a great place, that's why so many other people what to live hear. People what to move hear become its a safe, open and wealthy nation that offers opportunity to those who come, and while some bits could be improved and made even better, we are not doing bad.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Doesn't the Lib Dem leadership race sum up all the damage Mrs May has done to the Tories, undoing all of Cameron's hard work.

Cable and Davey slain by Dave and now resurrected under Mrs May.

Not sure that the PB TMay fanbots will agree with you.

Here's a stat, under Dave's watch 87% of the Lib Dem parliamentary party lost their seats.

Under Mrs May, the Lib Dem parliamentary party has increased by 50%.
    under Mrs May conservative representation in scotland rose 1200%
    No thanks to Mrs May. That was all down to Ruth Davidson.

Mrs May and her team probably cost the Scottish Tories seats.
    Cameron 2010 - 1 Scottish seat
    Cameron 2015 - 1 Scottish seat
    May 2017 - 13 Scottish seats
    It was "No More Catholics" that boosted SCon support.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited June 2017
    BigRich said:

SeanT said:

540,000 in one year. Incredible. We're gonna hit 70m in a few years, 80m seems inevitable. Without trying, we will soon dwarf countries like Italy.

The BBC story is a bit vage on the dates, but I am assuming the increase is between 31 Dec 2015, to 31 Dec 2016. i.e. including over 6 mouths after the referendum.

I do hope that that all the Doom Mongers and others who love to talk down this country, could look at this and accept that we live in a great place, that's why so many other people what to live hear. People what to move hear become its a safe, open and wealthy nation that offers opportunity to those who come, and while some bits could be improved and made even better, we are not doing bad.
    @ 30th June
    https://twitter.com/ONS/status/877926752177147906
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    tlg86 said:
    I imagine if Labour ran anything similar we wouldn't be hearing about it on Channel4 News.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

surbiton said:

BBC and Sky continuing their hatchet job on Theresa May with Sky now buying into Matt Wrack of the FBU blaming all the cuts and accusing the building inspectors of lacking qualification and the BBC showing mobile footage of the PM being booed at her meeting last night with the residents.

There must come a time when the public will see this as grossly unfair and I would not be surprised to see her poll ratings improve

A news agency's job is to report the news. If May was booed , we have the right to know. Are you suggesting that they should introduce censorship ? When Corbyn was being slated every minute, I don't recall any such views from you.
    I am saying it is unreasonable but right now the media are pursuing their own agenda
    The media primarily sees itself as a branch of the entertainment industry, and prominent people getting booed are always good for a few viewers. I thought Blair's heckling at the WI was unfair since they invited him, but it was news copy for days.

It's why I think our media are some of the worst in Western Europe - they're just incapable of consistently serious coverage.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,396
    edited June 2017

Toms said:

Jonathan said:

I think the Tories need to bite the bullet and replace May now. She is not finished doing damage to them. All is not well.

The Tories can be ruthless. Didn't the 1922 committee come down hard on Thatcher? Do they have actual power to depose PMs or is their weight more, um, moral?
    I am not convinced she will go anytime soon. She has no obvious successor and I think she enjoys being that bloody difficult woman.

Also today in the HOC she referred to how she had been instrumental in getting the Hillsborough families justice and the nuance in her comments was that she intends doing the same for the fire tragedy
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Doesn't the Lib Dem leadership race sum up all the damage Mrs May has done to the Tories, undoing all of Cameron's hard work.

Who took down the mighty Cleggy though....
    Erm, Jeremy Corbyn. Labour won his seat.

• Options

surbiton said:

BBC and Sky continuing their hatchet job on Theresa May with Sky now buying into Matt Wrack of the FBU blaming all the cuts and accusing the building inspectors of lacking qualification and the BBC showing mobile footage of the PM being booed at her meeting last night with the residents.

There must come a time when the public will see this as grossly unfair and I would not be surprised to see her poll ratings improve

A news agency's job is to report the news. If May was booed , we have the right to know. Are you suggesting that they should introduce censorship ? When Corbyn was being slated every minute, I don't recall any such views from you.
    I am saying it is unreasonable but right now the media are pursuing their own agenda
    The media primarily sees itself as a branch of the entertainment industry, and prominent people getting booed are always good for a few viewers. I thought Blair's heckling at the WI was unfair since they invited him, but it was news copy for days.

It's why I think our media are some of the worst in Western Europe - they're just incapable of consistently serious coverage.
    It is interesting that trust in the media is at it's lowest ever point and looks as if the decline will continue.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2017
    BigRich said:

Is this the Conservative version of the calls the Lib Dems where allegedly making from Egypt?
    The Egypt part was shown to be complete bollcoks caused by Guido being an idiot. The calls were from a number beginning 0203 which he confused with he international code for Egypt
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Jonathan said:

currystar said:

TudorRose said:

tlg86 said:

Lol! BBC London interview outside one of the block of flats in Camden gatecrashed by some yoofs.

The (Labour) leader of the council in Camden looked suitably flustered this evening. Of course, it's not her fault. Oh no, it's those nasty salespeople who misled her.

Hasn't Corbyn asked her to resign yet
    Yes, I think there will be a lot of Labour councillors who will have groaned when they heard his comments this morning; it is offering a very large hostage to fortune I think.
    It is highly likely that the majority of blocks where this cladding has been fitted will be Labour areas. I have no doubt though is will be TMs fault
    For simultaneously reducing the central funding and capping council tax?
    That is actually completely irrelevant to Council Housing which, by law, cannot be funded/subsidised by the Council taxpayer (and associated Govt funding), and vice versa. If Council housing funding is under pressure it is actually because social rents are not sufficient for the costs involved. Something the last Govt contributed to by mandating four years of rent cuts (even ignoring inflation). But good luck finding politicians who are going to criticise that.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316

surbiton said:

I agree with this completely.

One big change in political news reporting over the last 25 years is the big increase in the reporter talking to camera giving their opinion on whether X has done well / badly or X is in trouble etc. And we now see much less of what the politician actually said.

When John Cole died they played clips of his old news reports - the vast majority of which consisted of lengthy clips of Thatcher and Kinnock speaking with Cole doing a brief factual summary of what had happened at the end but without saying X was in trouble or Y had won etc.
  • Options
    It seems that Oliver Dowden may have been reading @Lucian_Fletcher on PB yesterday.

"Spoke in the debate on the Queen’s Speech today. Used it as an opportunity to discuss how we provide more houses for our children and grandchildren, but also how we protect our green belt and get the infrastructure we need, particularly in Borehamwood.

To watch a clip of my contribution, please follow the link below: https://goo.gl/wVFSx3
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Who took down the mighty Cleggy though....
    Erm, Jeremy Corbyn. Labour won his seat.

TECHNICALITY.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It seems that Oliver Dowden may have been reading @Lucian_Fletcher on PB yesterday.

"Spoke in the debate on the Queen’s Speech today. Used it as an opportunity to discuss how we provide more houses for our children and grandchildren, but also how we protect our green belt and get the infrastructure we need, particularly in Borehamwood.

To watch a clip of my contribution, please follow the link below: https://goo.gl/wVFSx3

How are we going to a build a new city every year?

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    MikeL said:

surbiton said:

One big change in political news reporting over the last 25 years is the big increase in the reporter talking to camera giving their opinion on whether X has done well / badly or X is in trouble etc. And we now see much less of what the politician actually said.

When John Cole died they played clips of his old news reports - the vast majority of which consisted of lengthy clips of Thatcher and Kinnock speaking with Cole doing a brief factual summary of what had happened at the end but without saying X was in trouble or Y had won etc.
    Absolutely agree - some of them think they are celebrities and confuse being supposedly neutral with being knowledgeable/somehow representing the public.

I though Krishna Guru Murphy's monologue at David Davis for instance was ridiculous - if there'd been a Labour politician there he/she couldn't have made a better attack.

I do think/hope the tide is turning. Paxman was planned for his interrupt/gotcha thing of Corbyn.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195

surbiton said:

Could not agree with this more. As others on here have said, the main news media outlets see politics as a bloodsport (personally I think Sky is the worst offender here, despite once being a fan of its coverage) and it results in a lack of serious debate, perspective and leads far too often to hyperbole.
  • Options

How are we going to a build a new city every year?

Good question.
    We're not, it will be the usual muddling along
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

BigRich said:

Is this the Conservative version of the calls the Lib Dems where allegedly making from Egypt?
    The Egypt part was shown to be complete bollcoks caused by Guido being an idiot. The calls were from a number beginning 0203 which he confused with he international code for Egypt
    Or rather that the calling equipment was adding an extra zero on the front which made caller IDs report it as an international call, because of the 00 prefix, from Egypt (+20)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    AndyJS said:

Don Valley had the 27th highest increase in the Tory vote, and the 10th highest in England.

Heroic.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,484
    rpjs said:

BigRich said:

Or rather that the calling equipment was adding an extra zero on the front which made caller IDs report it as an international call, because of the 00 prefix, from Egypt (+20)
    It does nevertheless prove that Guido publishes first and thinks/checks later, or not at all. Not that this wasn't fairly obvious already.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    rkrkrk said:

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

Absolutely agree - some of them think they are celebrities and confuse being supposedly neutral with being knowledgeable/somehow representing the public.

I though Krishna Guru Murphy's monologue at David Davis for instance was ridiculous - if there'd been a Labour politician there he/she couldn't have made a better attack.

I do think/hope the tide is turning. Paxman was planned for his interrupt/gotcha thing of Corbyn.
    Paxman's idiotic behaviour helped Corbyn.

It's ironic the topic has come up because of May. Corbyn, Miliband, Brown was slated without interruption. PB Tories just agreed with it.

Hypocrisy. And May,after all, is useless and robotic. The first robot to be useless.
  • Options
    calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    Room for another 34.5m easily.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rkrkrk said:

Never mind the behaviour, it was Paxman trying to attack Corbyn from the left that massively helped him. To be fair, Corbyn handled it well (e.g. the abolition of the monarchy question).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cameron polled 36.9% and 37.8%, May 43.4%.
    So, if Labour got 48% and May received 46%, then that would have been even better, right ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

AndyJS said:

Don Valley had the 27th highest increase in the Tory vote, and the 10th highest in England.

Heroic.
    Glad you are still a bookie! but respect for putting in the effort.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    In the most densely populated country in Western Europe?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672

AndyJS said:

Heroic.
    Ha! Well done.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,462
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Cameron polled 36.9% and 37.8%, May 43.4%.
    So, if Labour got 48% and May received 46%, then that would have been even better, right ?
    Sunil whistles innocently :innocent:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950

AndyJS said:

Heroic.
    Obviously down to the bloody good candidate :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited June 2017

SNIP

No running commentary...

Strong hand...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

Ta. It was hard and relatively lonely work!
  • Options

surbiton said:

rkrkrk said:

Never mind the behaviour, it was Paxman trying to attack Corbyn from the left that massively helped him. To be fair, Corbyn handled it well (e.g. the abolition of the monarchy question).
    The lesson there is that if voters think you're on the same side as what they perceive to be in their own economic self-interest then they won't give a shit what you've said or done before.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    It is interesting that of the 25 local authorities with declining populations, nearly all were in Leave voting areas, while the peak areas for growth were in Remain voting areas. I suppose this mostly reflects which areas of the country are economically successful.

Also worth noting that 38% of the population increase was due to natural growth and ageing. The number of net migrants was stable at 336 000. The breakdown by EU / non EU doesn't seem to be in this report, but usually about 50/50. This was after 6 years of Mrs May as Home Sec.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/bulletins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/latest#impact-of-cross-border-migration-on-the-population-of-england-and-wales
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes, agreed. In an ultra-austere way I used to like that Euronews channel (think it's died now?) which didn't have named presenters at all, just voice-overs. But although it can be useful to have serious, probing questions, the politicians need to have space to put their case too.

The Danish system seems to me a wonder of democracy. All parties that qualify to stand (you need 20K signatures, to cut out trivial parties) get the SAME TV coverage in elections, the only concession to the big parties being that they are broadcast nearest the election: the idea is that you need to win by having better arguments, not by merely being big. So you warm up with the little fringe parties and gradually get the heavier guns. Each party gets a single substantial slot (20 minues IIRC) to put its programme uninterrupted, followed by fairly tough questioning from a neutral panel of journalists for half an hour. The election round off with a 10-party leader debate, which is conducted with reasonable courtesy and is more illuminating than you'd think. The Liberals (Venstre) topped it by having big newspaper adverts giving the address of every party to write for their manifestos, with the obvious subtext that if we bothered we'd find the Liberal programme was best. Even the Communists thought that was awesome as they got loads of requests - the only time I ever saw them praise the Liberals.

In my teenage Commie days my only real contribution was that I collected more signtures single-handed to get them on the ballot than even the largest party branch (about 500, I think) - as my Danish wasn't that wonderful then, I thought that was good going. 'Twas good practice for canvassing many years later.
  • Options

Toms said:

Jonathan said:

Everything now has to be seen through the prism of not destabilising the Government.

The Tories are (rightly, in my view) terrified of Corbyn and won't do anything that weakens their collective position and risks putting him in office, even if May is dire, unless they absolutely have to.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Tories with more dodgy electioneering/marketing to explain ^^;

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed-inside-the-secretive-tory-election-call-centre
  • Options
    Here we go again. The BBC reporting Theresa May will grant the three million immigrants in the UK full rights but not under the ECJ and the BBC instantly calling that a problem.

The one thing I am certain of is that TM will win overwhelming public approval for that stance
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Here we go again. The BBC reporting Theresa May will grant the three million immigrants in the UK full rights but not under the ECJ and the BBC instantly calling that a problem.

The one thing I am certain of is that TM will win overwhelming public approval for that stance

I thought the point of leaving the EU was that British laws would the apply to the people in Britain not EU laws. So what is the BBC worried about?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PaulBrandITV: Number of failed tower block tests now stands at 11 across 8 local authorities. Cladding found to be combustible. #Grenfell
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590

Toms said:

Jonathan said:

I am not convinced she will go anytime soon. She has no obvious successor and I think she enjoys being that bloody difficult woman.

Also today in the HOC she referred to how she had been instrumental in getting the Hillsborough families justice and the nuance in her comments was that she intends doing the same for the fire tragedy

I believe Andy Burnham even praised her for the way she dealt with the Hillsborough families. Apparently, she did everything they asked her to and wasn't she the one who actually set up the inquiry in the first place?

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,854
    Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    That would be the Netherlands.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

I watched on twitter. It did impress me that Caroline Flint managed to field large teams of young volunteers despite being arch Blairite. In retrospect it was useful anecdata that the youth surge was genuine.

Bet 365 did have some good odds in your absence, I did quite well on Lab holds and gains there.

I hope the Tories find you a winnable seat next time round.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

I thought the point of leaving the EU was that British laws would the apply to the people in Britain not EU laws. So what is the BBC worried about?
    Probably worried that it will not please the EU.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    It is interesting that of the 25 local authorities with declining populations, nearly all were in Leave voting areas, while the peak areas for growth were in Remain voting areas. I suppose this mostly reflects which areas of the country are economically successful.

Also worth noting that 38% of the population increase was due to natural growth and ageing. The number of net migrants was stable at 336 000. The breakdown by EU / non EU doesn't seem to be in this report, but usually about 50/50. This was after 6 years of Mrs May as Home Sec.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/bulletins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/latest#impact-of-cross-border-migration-on-the-population-of-england-and-wales
    Economic hubs like West Belfast, Glasgow and Liverpool.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June
    That would be the Netherlands.
    413 ppl/sq km for England, 488 for Netherlands. UK as a whole is much lower at 255.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    So all the poor unskilled,unemployed baby boomers that have arrived in my area in the last 3/4 years can stay,just F-ing brilliant.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

I watched on twitter. It did impress me that Caroline Flint managed to field large teams of young volunteers despite being arch Blairite. In retrospect it was useful anecdata that the youth surge was genuine.

Bet 365 did have some good odds in your absence, I did quite well on Lab holds and gains there.

I hope the Tories find you a winnable seat next time round.
    That may depend on when "next time around" is :)
  • Options
    Typo said:

surbiton said:

Could not agree with this more. As others on here have said, the main news media outlets see politics as a bloodsport (personally I think Sky is the worst offender here, despite once being a fan of its coverage) and it results in a lack of serious debate, perspective and leads far too often to hyperbole.

I have been "banging on" about the poor quality media we have now, for quite some time. I can barely watch it, I just watch the headlines and then switch off. The endless stream of mediocre pundits and smirking journalists, is just mind-numbing.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I suspect that even most Remainers would think the EU is wrong in this case.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

Good luck for a safe seat next time - the usual reward!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Typo said:

surbiton said:

I have been "banging on" about the poor quality media we have now, for quite some time. I can barely watch it, I just watch the headlines and then switch off. The endless stream of mediocre pundits and smirking journalists, is just mind-numbing.

TV news in this country is leftwing slanted except ch4 news which is far left.

(In my opinion)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited June 2017
    So it turns out Britain doesn't need to use EU citizens as bargaining chips. Wouldn't it have been better to take the moral high ground on this a year ago? Proof that the public were right to deny the Conservatives an overall majority.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Britain has plenty of space to expand its population. It just needs to explore the third dimension a bit more.
  • Options
    glw said:

I suspect that even most Remainers would think the EU is wrong in this case.
    Well, here's one Remainer who agrees, in as much as I can't see how we can have some citizens having recourse to ECJ when the majority don't.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

So it turns out Britain doesn't need to use EU citizens as bargaining chips. Wouldn't it have been better to take the moral high ground on this a year ago? Proof that the public were right to deny the Conservatives an overall majority.

May still isn't hanging out to dry British citizens living in the EU27, according to the BBC: Mrs May made clear the proposals would be adopted only if the same rights were granted to UK citizens in other EU states, it is understood.
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    Strange though that most of the TV news political journos have fairly widely reported Tory sympathies.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    A detailed plan would indeed already have been signed off by this time last year, under a serious PM with an understanding of the concept of contingency planning. I wonder how things went wrong.
  • Options

"Anecdata" is a good neologism.

A lot of the venom has gone out of the internal row now that Momentum have shown they're happy to turn up with numerous volunteers no matter how Blairite you are. The PLP objection to Corbyn was for the most part not about "We hate in Corbyn and left-wing policies" but about "Can we possibly win with Corbyn as leader?"

As the answer to that has turned out to be "quite likely", everyone except the most ideologically-motivated is reconciled for now. There has never been a strong ideologically centre-right wing of the party except that imposed top-down by Tony - lots of Labour people just think we need Labour governments to look after the less wealthy.

Of course, if Jeremy screws up, as we all do at times, the arguments will return.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

There is not a uniform correlation, but the areas with the most population growth voted Remain, those with little or in population decline voted Leave.

• Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304

Toms said:

Jonathan said:

Delurking for the first time to comment on this!

The Conservatives would have to be very silly to try to remove her, particularly if it's to stay in the single market. They have already upset those against Brexit, who aren't going to come back any time soon. They would end up upsetting those for Brexit, who expect the government to stop faffing about with political games and to get on with it. Maybe it is possible to get away with a one-off big exit bill, but a deal which kept up unlimited immigration or EU laws over the UK would be a constant millstone round their neck among their core supporters. They would drop to the low 30s and Jeremy Corbyn would become Prime Minister. Sitting on the fence doesn't please anyone.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Ishmael_Z said:

A detailed plan would indeed already have been signed off by this time last year, under a serious PM with an understanding of the concept of contingency planning. I wonder how things went wrong.
    We have just offered a job to an EU citizen and will probably try to snap up more talent before 2019 in case the plonkers in charge of Brexit end up pulling us out of the single labour market. I note from these tweets that my new hire is still under threat of being a bargaining chip. May is an idiot. A dullard. She should make the guarantee apply to all right now, no quibbling.
  • Options

No - this is good politics - puts the EU on the spot and if they try to enforce the ECJ on this it will be a big moment as the Country will not stand for it
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

There is not a uniform correlation, but the areas with the most population growth voted Remain, those with little or in population decline voted Leave.

Because people that like to live in busy cities don't care about immigration. People who like to live in less dense areas do. Not all of us want to end up like London.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522

There's been talk in some quarters about the possibility of two systems operating in tandem: even the possibility of EU citizenship being 'opt in' for British nationals. Sounds like the recipe for a logistical nightmare but there you go.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Theresa is going nowhere!

#THERESA22
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    It's a left liberal metropolitan media conspiracy.

It's just like the old days in here!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

detailed plan would indeed already have been signed off by this time last year, under a serious PM with an understanding of the concept of contingency planning. I wonder how things went wrong.

I believe the government did try and get this all agreed last year but Merkel and Hollande refused.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Didn't we offer this a year ago, but the EU said no talks until A50?
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    Strange though that most of the TV news political journos have fairly widely reported Tory sympathies.
    Laura K being the main case in point.
  • Options

Britain has plenty of space to expand its population. It just needs to explore the third dimension a bit more.

If there is one thing we have learnt in recent days, it is that even those people who live in high rises don't like living in them.
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    I totally agree.

• Options

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

Cheers Nick. I shall check any such seat for unsuspected campuses ;-)
  • Options

There's been talk in some quarters about the possibility of two systems operating in tandem: even the possibility of EU citizenship being 'opt in' for British nationals. Sounds like the recipe for a logistical nightmare but there you go.
    EU citizenship 'opt in' - oh yes please - bring it on!
  • Options

A lot of the venom has gone out of the internal row now that Momentum have shown they're happy to turn up with numerous volunteers no matter how Blairite you are. The PLP objection to Corbyn was for the most part not about "We hate in Corbyn and left-wing policies" but about "Can we possibly win with Corbyn as leader?"

As the answer to that has turned out to be "quite likely", everyone except the most ideologically-motivated is reconciled for now. There has never been a strong ideologically centre-right wing of the party except that imposed top-down by Tony - lots of Labour people just think we need Labour governments to look after the less wealthy.

Of course, if Jeremy screws up, as we all do at times, the arguments will return.
    Corbyn's real victory is that he has united the pragmatists (who realise that the precursor of any action is having control of the legislature) and the idealists. That is a potent cocktail, and possibly a slightly unstable one.

Nonetheless we have an unexpected result, of a united Labour party, and a Tory party busy re-opening old wounds over europe.
  • Options
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    Along with Nick R and Andrew N.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608

AndyJS said:

Heroic.

Cheers Nick. I shall check any such seat for unsuspected campuses ;-)
    Do you have any connections to Maidenhead?

Reckon there'll be a vacancy there next time.
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    And Tom what's his name on ITV - I'm told he is also a true blue.
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    It's a left liberal metropolitan media conspiracy.

It's just like the old days in here!
    No,it was just the bbc then ;-)
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    May's offer is not as good as it looks.
    It is equivalent to saying that you can have permanent residency if you have been here for five years.
    But it isn't the same deal as what you have now if you are an EU citizen, which is an absolute right to live and work here.
    What if you leave the UK for a while? Do you then have a right to return?
    They would probably still deport you if you commit a minor crime under the proposed arrangements. They can change the rules after Brexit as much as they want.
    That is why the EU want ECJ oversight of any arrangements, they are absolutely right to insist on this in my opinion, because the UK have shown that they are brutal on immigration, and they have zero goodwill by the way they have approached the issue over the last year.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

Because people that like to live in busy cities don't care about immigration. People who like to live in less dense areas do. Not all of us want to end up like London.
    Or possibly, living alongside immigrants mellows views on them. I was brought up in a very white part of Britain and only really mixed with BME Britons in the 1980's in London, then in the Midlands.

I did look at a Consultant job in Truro, but dropped out. Amongst my reasons to do so is that after living in Leicester for a decade, it did seem rather socially bland.There were other job related reasons, such as wanting a teaching hospital post with a bit more variety of interest.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Does anyone think that Emily Maitlis is Labour by any chance?! :lol:
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Corbyn's real victory is that he has united the pragmatists (who realise that the precursor of any action is having control of the legislature) and the idealists. That is a potent cocktail, and possibly a slightly unstable one.

Nonetheless we have an unexpected result, of a united Labour party, and a Tory party busy re-opening old wounds over europe.
    I'm pretty sure that the unity is superficial and will be short lived. Victory would expose the contradictions in the Brexit position and the economic incoherence very rapidly. A prolonged period of opposition will also lead to a loss of momentum and although Corbyn and co are good campaigners and agitators they can't simply keep to that mode of working. Parliamentary votes and detailed policy decisions will start to expose them now that they are seen as a potential government in waiting.
  • Options

If there is one thing we have learnt in recent days, it is that even those people who live in high rises don't like living in them.
    There is no need to go to 25 storeys or even 10. Though contrary to your assertion, a lot of very expensive flats in London are high rise.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nielh said:

It is equivalent to saying that you can have permanent residency if you have been here for five years.
    But it isn't the same deal as what you have now if you are an EU citizen, which is an absolute right to live and work here.
    They would probably still deport you if you commit a minor crime under the proposed arrangements. They can change the rules after Brexit as much as they want.
    That is why the EU want ECJ oversight of any arrangements, they are absolutely right to insist on this in my opinion, because the UK have shown that they are brutal on immigration, and they have zero goodwill by the way they have approached the issue over the last year.

How much goodwill do the EU have for the way they approached the issue? The idea that non-citizens have more rights than citizens is a non-starter.
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    I totally agree.

You'll find many likeminded souls on here - most of the PB Tories are convinced that the London media are a revolutionary Soviet-legacy cell working to effect a glowing red dawn of global communism.
  • Options
  • Options
    nielh said:

Just not acceptable - anyone living in the UK must be subject to UK law. I cannot imagine anything other than a small number of the UK population would object to that
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

If there is one thing we have learnt in recent months, it is that Mr Meeks is often entirely out of step with public opinion.

And with regard to pineapple on pizza, I'm afraid I am too....
  • Options

Typo said:

surbiton said:

(In my opinion)
    And Tom what's his name on ITV - I'm told he is also a true blue.
    Couldn't give a shit if these people are true blue,these news channels report on a metropolitan elite news agenda.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Emily is as red as her perfectly polished nails.

But most TV punters are blues!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Did you see her on the 2015 exit poll and the referendum night. She was beside herself
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

Or possibly, living alongside immigrants mellows views on them. I was brought up in a very white part of Britain and only really mixed with BME Britons in the 1980's in London, then in the Midlands.

I did look at a Consultant job in Truro, but dropped out. Amongst my reasons to do so is that after living in Leicester for a decade, it did seem rather socially bland.There were other job related reasons, such as wanting a teaching hospital post with a bit more variety of interest.
    People who want to limit immigration are not against immigrants themselves. You can see that by the large majority that want EU citizens to be able to stay. They just want to reduce the speed of growth, because we'd like to live in streets of houses with gardens, and countryside nearby.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    On that we can agree. Kaboom!!
This discussion has been closed.