Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says he not standing in LD leadership race

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says he not standing in LD leadership race

The Guardian article in which Norman Lamb says he's not standing https://t.co/vlGG9mNsic pic.twitter.com/SlzqZDUr6W

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,757
    First!
  • Options
    I've read the article twice - I'm still not clear why he's not standing - unattributable briefings in Osborne's organ can't be it, surely?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    second, like Cable, hopefully.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Lamb chopped sadly.

Will it be Sir John or Sir Jon ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    But will Davey stand?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    My post has just disappeared. Anyway reading the article I think Lamb has laid out some good reasons why he should run and lose honourably as is likely.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Impressively boring choice of topic. PB at its geekiest. 10/10

You obviously missed the earlier discussion on whether a subcontractor can safely and lawfully substitute a material of the same essential specification during the construction of a building.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Since it looks as though it will be a contest between two knights, I do think that the LibDems owe it to the country to decide the matter by a full-scale mediaeval jousting competition in Richmond Park.
  • Options

Since it looks as though it will be a contest between two knights, I do think that the LibDems owe it to the country to decide the matter by a full-scale mediaeval jousting competition in Richmond Park.

A joust between Sir Jon vs Sir John
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Some general election statistics:

Change in share of vote, GE2017 compared to GE2015 (Great Britain):

Sheet 1: all data listed by constituency
    Sheet 2: ranked change in Con share
    Sheet 3: ranked change in Lab share
    Sheet 4: ranked change in LD share
    Sheet 5: ranked change in UKIP share
    Sheet 6: ranked change in Green share
    Sheet 7: ranked change in SNP share
    Sheet 8: ranked change in PC share
    Sheet 9: ranked swing from Con to Lab

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UWhZhZlnNE6oVmg_n1ayf-TtV0brsoaA4NawWz_GI6k/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    Doesn't the Lib Dem leadership race sum up all the damage Mrs May has done to the Tories, undoing all of Cameron's hard work.

Cable and Davey slain by Dave and now resurrected under Mrs May.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Would it be using AV (Absolutely Vanquish) or just FPTP (First Past the Point)?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UWhZhZlnNE6oVmg_n1ayf-TtV0brsoaA4NawWz_GI6k/edit#gid=0

That's fantastic, thanks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    So he's saying he's a liberal DEMOCRAT who thinks 'the voter knows best'?

I can see his problem in the Lib Dems.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    edited June 2017

Doesn't the Lib Dem leadership race sum up all the damage Mrs May has done to the Tories, undoing all of Cameron's hard work.

the LD leadership sums up all the damage Osborne has done to them
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thank you.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pong said:

if you have backed Lamb with Bet365 they do let you cash out your bets on this market. he's still 10/3 so depending on the price you took you might get out ok.

Sad article by Norman, which shows very much why he was the best option for leader:

https://twitter.com/normanlamb/status/877907287251222528
    I'm confused.

His article "Why I won’t be the Lib Dems’ next leader" doesn't explain why he isn't running to be the Lib Dems’ next leader.
    Just be thankful he's not. He was always one of the most Tory of the Lib Dems who went into coalition and preached with the zeal of the new convert. I was surprised that of all of them he didn't cross the floor.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    If Davey doesn't stand will there be a coronation or will one of the newbies stand up to be counted?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited June 2017
    Sad to hear about Lamb, but hope we get a contrast rather than a coronation.

There's a great opportunity for the LDs to recapture the centre ground while Corbyn remains the LotO, Lamb is right in the article that the party is too obsessed by an undemocratic view of Brexit and partisan constitutional meddling.

Norman Lamb is a liberal democrat, rather than a Liberal Democrat.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    I watched this live, was quite astonished to see Douglas Murray described as a hate preacher a la Anjem Choudray! The BBC have apologised

https://twitter.com/douglaskmurray/status/877882718830383104
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Roger said:

Pong said:

if you have backed Lamb with Bet365 they do let you cash out your bets on this market. he's still 10/3 so depending on the price you took you might get out ok.

Sad article by Norman, which shows very much why he was the best option for leader:

I'm confused.

His article "Why I won’t be the Lib Dems’ next leader" doesn't explain why he isn't running to be the Lib Dems’ next leader.
    Just be thankful he's not. He was always one of the most Tory of the Lib Dems who went into coalition and preached with the zeal of the new convert. I was surprised that of all of them he didn't cross the floor.
    Should we translate that as one of the Lib Dems with a good understanding of economics?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017
    Roger said:

Pong said:

I'm confused.

You really do talk a lot of shit.

I know people who had close dealings with him as a minister and would never vote for a Tory in a month sundays and say he is one of the best government officials they have ever dealt with.

During his time in coalition, despite Tory cuts, he did a lot for people with learning difficulties and mental health conditions. One of the genuinely good guys in it for helping people.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Not sure that the PB TMay fanbots will agree with you.

• Options
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Impressively boring choice of topic. PB at its geekiest. 10/10

You obviously missed the earlier discussion on whether a subcontractor can safely and lawfully substitute a material of the same essential specification during the construction of a building.
    I'm presently working in the construction contracting industry in a purchasing role. I would never dream of trying that without a sign off from the client. That way lies disaster.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Even PB TMay fanbots agree that the crushing of the LDs was one of Cameron's best acts. :D:p
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, only just seen your arb/other side/voiding comment earlier today. If my bets stand (weirdly, Ladbrokes still hasn't replied to me, sent e-mail at 8am) I'll back the other side only enough to be flat if a bet fails.

Good advice, thanks :)

Mr. Smithson, not sure why, but that reply to me still hasn't come through on Vanilla.

Got to go for a bit (hound requires moderate perambulation) but will be back shortly.
  • Options

Here's a stat, under Dave's watch 87% of the Lib Dem parliamentary party lost their seats.

Under Mrs May, the Lib Dem parliamentary party has increased by 50%.
  • Options

Here's a stat, under Dave's watch 87% of the Lib Dem parliamentary party lost their seats.

under Mrs May conservative representation in scotland rose 1200%
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    'So who knows "You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one" Donald Tusk.

We're going to miss him.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpajoF4Uyew

• Options

Mr. Pulpstar, only just seen your arb/other side/voiding comment earlier today. If my bets stand (weirdly, Ladbrokes still hasn't replied to me, sent e-mail at 8am) I'll back the other side only enough to be flat if a bet fails.

Mr. Smithson, not sure why, but that reply to me still hasn't come through on Vanilla.

Got to go for a bit (hound requires moderate perambulation) but will be back shortly.

I replied that I was happy with your proposal. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Who took down the mighty Cleggy though....
  • Options

No thanks to Mrs May. That was all down to Ruth Davidson.

Mrs May and her team probably cost the Scottish Tories seats.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    BBC and Sky continuing their hatchet job on Theresa May with Sky now buying into Matt Wrack of the FBU blaming all the cuts and accusing the building inspectors of lacking qualification and the BBC showing mobile footage of the PM being booed at her meeting last night with the residents.

There must come a time when the public will see this as grossly unfair and I would not be surprised to see her poll ratings improve
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Didn't they receive their knighthoods because they left front line politics?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017

I think you might have solved ms May's dilemma.

Call another election.

On the current trajectory, she's on course to win all 144 of the 59 Scottish constituencies.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Pulpstar said:
    A shame. Not prepared to try to change his party for the better.
  • Options

SNP ruing the day they ever called indyref2 (the union strikes back)?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Roger said:

" You May Say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the Only One" Donald Tusk.

His subsequent comments were quite moving. The Remain campaign made a big mistake by freezing out European politicians like him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40362594
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited June 2017

BBC and Sky continuing their hatchet job on Theresa May with Sky now buying into Matt Wrack of the FBU blaming all the cuts and accusing the building inspectors of lacking qualification and the BBC showing mobile footage of the PM being booed at her meeting last night with the residents.

There must come a time when the public will see this as grossly unfair and I would not be surprised to see her poll ratings improve

A news agency's job is to report the news. If May was booed , we have the right to know. Are you suggesting that they should introduce censorship ? When Corbyn was being slated every minute, I don't recall any such views from you.
  • Options

Roger said:

" You May Say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the Only One" Donald Tusk.

His subsequent comments were quite moving. The Remain campaign made a big mistake by freezing out European politicians like him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40362594
    Trouble is that he and Juncker come as a double act.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

A news agency's job is to report the news. If May was booed , we have the right to know. Are you suggesting that they should introduce censorship ? When Corbyn was being slated every minute, I don't recall any such views from you.
    I think it was more to do with the first part. I am not sure what more fire inspectors would have done if everything was done according to the regulations.
  • Options

So are we going to end up with a Knight to remember or the other one...?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    surbiton said:

I am saying it is unreasonable but right now the media are pursuing their own agenda
  • Options

They're campaigning for the leadership of the Lib Dems. What's the contradiction?
  • Options

They're campaigning for the leadership of the Lib Dems. What's the contradiction?
    How did your sell spread bet on the LDs do?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cable to babysit LDs for two years whilst he negotiates a fresh centre party offering inspired by Macron?
  • Options

I am saying it is unreasonable but right now the media are pursuing their own agenda

Media speculation since the fire has been nothing short of disgraceful, and it's happening again with speculation about the number of buildings with dangerous cladding.
  • Options

How did your sell spread bet on the LDs do?

Very well thanks - I sold in the 20s.
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales - saw your post yesterday/earlier today. Hope you do stick around! Is always a bit deflating after your side (massively) underperforms :p
  • Options
    Just been chatting with one of my sons who is a Brexiteer but is now coming round to an EEA agreement.

He also said that he had been talking to two lefties who agreed that both TM's social care and triple lock proposals are progressive and should be supported by the left

• Options

Tezza reached the parts Cameron couldnt reach
  • Options
    RobD said:

@Big_G_NorthWales - saw your post yesterday/earlier today. Hope you do stick around! Is always a bit deflating after your side (massively) underperforms :p

I do not intend leaving the site but the chaos at present can overtake your reason and a little less exposure to some of the media reporting helps one to keep a perspective
  • Options

hic!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Lol! BBC London interview outside one of the block of flats in Camden gatecrashed by some yoofs.

The (Labour) leader of the council in Camden looked suitably flustered this evening. Of course, it's not her fault. Oh no, it's those nasty salespeople who misled her.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Lol! BBC London interview outside one of the block of flats in Camden gatecrashed by some yoofs.

The (Labour) leader of the council in Camden looked suitably flustered this evening. Of course, it's not her fault. Oh no, it's those nasty salespeople who misled her.

Hasn't Corbyn asked her to resign yet
  • Options
    Thanks, Mr. Smithson. Much appreciated :)
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    tlg86 said:

It would be just as easy to blame George Osborne, the former Chancellor responsible for Austerity cuts. Perhaps The Evening Standard could run an investigation?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Especially since according to RIBA, part of the problem dates back to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005:

https://www.architecture.com/knowledge-and-resources/knowledge-landing-page/riba-statement-on-design-for-fire-safety

I wonder which party was in power at the time?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

have Ladbrokes got a live chat function you can access from their website? most bookies do. you can use your word skills in one to one combat to resolve this in your favour.
  • Options

Especially since according to RIBA, part of the problem dates back to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005:

https://www.architecture.com/knowledge-and-resources/knowledge-landing-page/riba-statement-on-design-for-fire-safety

I believe that was the New Labour (War Criminal) Party, not the Cuddly Uncle Jez Party...
  • Options

Was the mobile footage shot in portrait ?
  • Options
    Don Valley had the 27th highest increase in the Tory vote, and the 10th highest in England.
  • Options

I believe that was the New Labour (War Criminal) Party, not the Cuddly Uncle Jez Party...
    Wouldn't it be interesting to compare when those two parties last won majorities in the Commons? If only someone had made a bar chart....
  • Options

Cameron polled 36.9% and 37.8%, May 43.4%.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Was the mobile footage shot in portrait ?
    Yes
  • Options
    isam said:

I watched this live, was quite astonished to see Douglas Murray described as a hate preacher a la Anjem Choudray! The BBC have apologised

Sums up the BBC. We're lucky that there are people like Douglas Murray who are prepared to stand up to the illiberal left.
  • Options
    Mr. T, if the EU offered anything remotely substantive (status quo with £1bn extra in rebate, say) there'd be a lot of support for a new referendum and staying in.

However, the muttering from Verhofstadt is in the opposite direction.

EU leaders might be worried at setting a precedent of a country threatening to leave and getting goodies for it. However, there are few net contributors or economies to compare with us, and the two most obvious (Germany and France) are entwined in the eurozone.

All that said, I don't think anything will come of it.

More importantly, Imagine is a bloody horrendous song, a testament to champagne socialism as a millionaire plays a piano in his mansion and sings about how much better the world would be without money.

Mr. 64, yes... personally I prefer e-mails. I'll wait until at least tomorrow morning for a reply.
  • Options

Just been chatting with one of my sons who is a Brexiteer but is now coming round to an EEA agreement.

He also said that he had been talking to two lefties who agreed that both TM's social care and triple lock proposals are progressive and should be supported by the left

I don't wish to intrude on private grief, but I do do trust that is the brother of the son with the senior Airbus post..
    My brother voted to leave too !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What was the Tory lead over Labour in % terms in 2017? Was it larger or smaller than 2010 or 2015.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

tlg86 said:

Yes, I think there will be a lot of Labour councillors who will have groaned when they heard his comments this morning; it is offering a very large hostage to fortune I think.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What was the Tory lead over Labour in % terms in 2017? Was it larger or smaller than 2010 or 2015.
    Are you confident that Cameron would have achieved a bigger lead against Corbyn than he did against Miliband?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

Are you confident that Cameron would have achieved a bigger lead against Corbyn than he did against Miliband?
    Yes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Also, Cameron and Osborne let the SNP flourish - May inflicted severe damage on them.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't wish to intrude on private grief, but I do do trust that is the brother of the son with the senior Airbus post..
    I think you are confused. My son in law works in Airbus, my son works locally if that clarifies matters
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think you are confused. My son in law works in Airbus, my son works locally if that clarifies matters
    Ah yes clear now :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

Sums up the BBC. We're lucky that there are people like Douglas Murray who are prepared to stand up to the illiberal left.
    To be fair it was the Muslim council person who made the comparison. Murray previously noted the fact that the more Islam you have in a country, the more Islamic extremism you get, and that hasn't gone down well.
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

To be fair it was the Muslim council person who made the comparison. Murray just noted the fact that the more Islam you have in a country, the more Islamic extremism
    Up to a point?
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

AndyJS said:

Also, Cameron and Osborne let the SNP flourish - May inflicted severe damage on them.
    Davidson did. May not so much. Corbyn and May were both lucky to be against each other.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

To be fair it was the Muslim council person who made the comparison. Murray just noted the fact that the more Islam you have in a country, the more Islamic extremism
    Up to a point?
    About 5% of the population seems to be the trigger
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195

Pulpstar said:
    So he's saying he's a liberal DEMOCRAT who thinks 'the voter knows best'?

I can see his problem in the Lib Dems.....
    Either way you can sense the collective shrug of a nation at the latest juicy Lib Dem leadership updates.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Credit to Ruth Davidson, but the SCons were in the sweet spot of being the party of choice for anti-EU Unionists.
  • Options
    Theresa May is weird. Not sure she is okay. Check out the second video on this story. Very weird answer to the follow up question.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-22/brussels-summit/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I think Cameron would have been less complacent, and avoided obvious pratfalls, and would have got the Tories to 340/50 seats. But, then, that assumes he'd have stayed on after losing the EU referendum.
  • Options
    Would anyone swap May's result for Cameron's? Anyone? Anyone at all?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Jonathan said:

Theresa May is weird. Not sure she is okay. Check out the second video on this story. Very weird answer to the follow up question.

I think she's doing what Miliband once got in trouble for - going on air with a limited agreed brief and repeating it robotically whatever the question. I think he managed 6 iterations! Was not a good idea.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I think she's doing what Miliband once got in trouble for - going on air with a limited agreed brief and repeating it robotically whatever the question. I think he managed 6 iterations! Was not a good idea.
    I think she has taken it to a new level, if they had asked "What's your favourite flavour of ice cream Prime Minister?" she would have given the same response.

When I listened to that clip, I honestly assumed my video player had skipped back a few seconds. Very odd.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I think the Tories need to bite the bullet and replace May now. She is not finished doing damage to them. All is not well.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    I see that Chris Philip has been popping up with increasing frequency on news programmes (he was on C4 just now). What do PB Tories think of him?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

Cameron 2010 - 1 Scottish seat
    Cameron 2015 - 1 Scottish seat
    May 2017 - 13 Scottish seats
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Is this the Conservative version of the calls the Lib Dems where allegedly making from Egypt?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    TudorRose said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, I think there will be a lot of Labour councillors who will have groaned when they heard his comments this morning; it is offering a very large hostage to fortune I think.
    It is highly likely that the majority of blocks where this cladding has been fitted will be Labour areas. I have no doubt though is will be TMs fault
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Jonathan said:

I think the Tories need to bite the bullet and replace May now. She is not finished doing damage to them. All is not well.

The Tories can be ruthless. Didn't the 1922 committee come down hard on Thatcher? Do they have actual power to depose PMs or is their weight more, um, moral?
  • Options
    currystar said:

TudorRose said:

tlg86 said:

It is highly likely that the majority of blocks where this cladding has been fitted will be Labour areas. I have no doubt though is will be TMs fault
    For simultaneously reducing the central funding and capping council tax?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I know he's French but is it protocol to make a grab for Mrs Merkel's breast?
  • Options

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/877953001163456512

Wonder if they looked into the activities of other parties, or do they just focus on the Tories these days?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

THIS is so much bigger a story than anything else. The UK population is booming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40372533

540,000 in one year. Incredible. We're gonna hit 70m in a few years, 80m seems inevitable. Without trying, we will soon dwarf countries like Italy.

It got 20 seconds on the Six O'Clock News tonight.
This discussion has been closed.