Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling numbers that should really scare the Tories – the

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

We could alrench and Russian.
    Post-Brexit the government will just have to ignore the ICAO convention, print the passport as blue and pretend it was an EU directive all along. For many Leavers the passport colour was a decisive factor in their vote. If the government persists with the maroon one, ICAO convention or not, the sense of betrayal will be overwhelming.
    If the passport colour is a reason to screw up the country's economy and international relationships then they should be considered too mentally immature to vote.

It is the most bonkers thing I have read on here in quite some time.
    As I said on yesterday's thread, it is all especially poignant as passports are on the verge of being phased out. Face recognition cameras will check you as you board and disembark, speeding up everything.

It makes total sense. Carrying around a folded booklet to prove your ID is essentially Victorian.
    A passport does a lot more than that. It tells the reader where you have been and when. This is useful information, not just for governments but for matters like money laundering regulations where it is all too common to have a name flagged up as a person of interest and to have to show that the person who did whatever is not this person.

Don't see them disappearing anytime soon.
    It will all be online, linked to face recog. No more lost passport nightmares. Etc.
    To take another example our new Immigration Act which is largely to come into force within 2 months puts highly onerous obligations on employers, landlords, schools and others to show that they have checked that the person whom they are employing, letting to or educating the children of is not an illegal immigrant. You do this by getting the original, copying it and certifying the date when you held the original in your hand and took the copy. Passports are an essential part of this for ID purposes.

The consequence of having an illegal cleaner or barman will now be £15K per illegal plus the risk that your business is closed down until you have proven that all your staff are legal. It is draconian and the ability of an employer to show he has complied quickly is key.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited June 2017
    tyson said:

@Mortimer and Richard Tyndall

I live in England thanks to Brexit...we had to move back this March because my Italian wife hadn't taken out UK citizenship. If you could begin to imagine the anxieties Brexit is causing people like my wife who has worked for UK companies for 20 years and paid taxes and multiply it by ten you couldn't reach it. She has been forced to leave octagenerian parents too whom we may need to bring across at huge expense for the NHS.

You are a victim of your own unreasonable fears. You have spent so long convincing yourself that Brexit will be a disaster and there will be no agreements that you have driven yourself to take completely unnecessary action.

Edit

I have now seen Charles' explanation of your reasons for moving. If he is correct (and I do say if) then I have absolutely no sympathy with you whatsoever. Expecting HMG to arrange things to satisfy your tax rationalisation schemes is a pretty low attitude.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

OllyT said:

Patrick said:

News from the frontline - three teaching assistants laid off at the primary school where a friend sends her kids and the head teacher voluntarily taking a small pay cut on top. There are these kinds of cuts in all the schools around here. Parents notice. It's not just Brexit and it's not just dementia tax.

2017 January - April

Cumulative trade deficit £11.325bn
    Cumulative tourism deficit £6.550bn

The money is there, its all a question of priorities and imported consumer tat and foreign holidays are deemed a higher priority by many millions of people.
    As I said a few days ago it was notable that the main reason for the increase in inflation was said to be the rising cost of foreign holidays and computer games. It is not exactly the stuff of which third world nightmares are made.

It isn't. But we were promised a Brexit that delivers increasing prosperity and more opportunities. Politically, therefore, if the Brexit process is actually making foreign holidays, computer games and other "luxuries" less affordable that is an issue.

Dear Lord. It took us 40 years to get this far and you expect the benefits of us regaining control over our own economic future to manifest themselves before we even leave? That's insane. The full gains from Brexit may take a decade to embed themselves.
    I doubt any of us on PB will ever live to see the "full gains" from Brexit.
    That is one of my primary objections. If we do get benefits they will be decades away and then they will take decades more to wipe out the "full pains" inflicted on the UK. So, maybe by 2100 we might get the benefits - assuming we have not rejoined by then and made the whole thing a pointless exercise.
    Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever apart from your own bias.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

If the passport colour is a reason to screw up the country's economy and international relationships then they should be considered too mentally immature to vote.

You do realise that the stated purpose of the standardised EU passport was to enforce a feeling of EU belonging amongst the EU countries' peoples?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

Post-Brexit the government will just have to ignore the ICAO convention, print the passport as blue and pretend it was an EU directive all along. For many Leavers the passport colour was a decisive factor in their vote. If the government persists with the maroon one, ICAO convention or not, the sense of betrayal will be overwhelming.

As I said on yesterday's thread, it is all especially poignant as passports are on the verge of being phased out. Face recognition cameras will check you as you board and disembark, speeding up everything.

It makes total sense. Carrying around a folded booklet to prove your ID is essentially Victorian.
    A passport does a lot more than that. It tells the reader where you have been and when. This is useful information, not just for governments but for matters like money laundering regulations where it is all too common to have a name flagged up as a person of interest and to have to show that the person who did whatever is not this person.

It will all be online, linked to face recog. No more lost passport nightmares. Etc.
    To take another example our new Immigration Act which is largely to come into force within 2 months puts highly onerous obligations on employers, landlords, schools and others to show that they have checked that the person whom they are employing, letting to or educating the children of is not an illegal immigrant. You do this by getting the original, copying it and certifying the date when you held the original in your hand and took the copy. Passports are an essential part of this for ID purposes.

The consequence of having an illegal cleaner or barman will now be £15K per illegal plus the risk that your business is closed down until you have proven that all your staff are legal. It is draconian and the ability of an employer to show he has complied quickly is key.
    Tbh, this is how it should be. We should be hitting the employer's of illegal immigrants. If there are no jobs for them then they will eventually stop coming.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-plans-to-axe-free-school-meals-ditched-from-queens-speech-a3568931.html

"Areas considered safe for the Prime Minister to legislate on tomorrow are security and defence. Backbenchers have been pushing hard for an enhanced Investigatory Powers Bill in the wake of the recent terror attacks."

It must be Jeremy Corbyn's birthday or something.

A pile of new tools for state repression that he can use against the enemies of the left once he becomes PM.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271

Country was a better place 20 years ago
    Elite: 32
    Public: 54

Country is a better place today
    Elite: 42
    Public: 27

Net 'better place today:
    Elite: +10
    Public: -27

I suspect - and this is just a suspicion - that if you asked those questions in the US or Japan, then you'd get the same results.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271

theakes said:

Cable standing for the leadership. The man who was Secreatary of State for Tuition Fees.
    That will finally sink the party full stop. Rumours Vera Hobhouse could stand. Much better choice.

I actually find it very funny that with tower blocks burning down and Brexit negotiations starting, there are people who want to discuss the leadership of the LibDems.
    You do know this is a political betting site, don't you?

If you want, I'll make you a market on the number of tower block fires in the remainder of 2017 that result in fatalities. 0-0.1 is my market. Willing to take any sensible size.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    Given the subheading and penultimate paragraph are totally misleading, I'm not holding out too much hope of the rest being accurate, tbh.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

OllyT said:

Patrick said:

News from the frontline - three teaching assistants laid off at the primary school where a friend sends her kids and the head teacher voluntarily taking a small pay cut on top. There are these kinds of cuts in all the schools around here. Parents notice. It's not just Brexit and it's not just dementia tax.

2017 January - April

Cumulative trade deficit £11.325bn
    Cumulative tourism deficit £6.550bn

The money is there, its all a question of priorities and imported consumer tat and foreign holidays are deemed a higher priority by many millions of people.
    As I said a few days ago it was notable that the main reason for the increase in inflation was said to be the rising cost of foreign holidays and computer games. It is not exactly the stuff of which third world nightmares are made.

It isn't. But we were promised a Brexit that delivers increasing prosperity and more opportunities. Politically, therefore, if the Brexit process is actually making foreign holidays, computer games and other "luxuries" less affordable that is an issue.

Dear Lord. It took us 40 years to get this far and you expect the benefits of us regaining control over our own economic future to manifest themselves before we even leave? That's insane. The full gains from Brexit may take a decade to embed themselves.
    I doubt any of us on PB will ever live to see the "full gains" from Brexit.
    That is one of my primary objections. If we do get benefits they will be decades away and then they will take decades more to wipe out the "full pains" inflicted on the UK. So, maybe by 2100 we might get the benefits - assuming we have not rejoined by then and made the whole thing a pointless exercise.
    Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever apart from your own bias.
    Yes Richard. Just like YOU have no evidence it will be a glowing success.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Cable standing for the leadership. The man who was Secreatary of State for Tuition Fees.
    That will finally sink the party full stop. Rumours Vera Hobhouse could stand. Much better choice.

I actually find it very funny that with tower blocks burning down and Brexit negotiations starting, there are people who want to discuss the leadership of the LibDems.
    You do know this is a political betting site, don't you?

If you want, I'll make you a market on the number of tower block fires in the remainder of 2017 that result in fatalities. 0-0.1 is my market. Willing to take any sensible size.
    A dagger to the heart.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

a lot will depend on how the BREXIT negotiations are viewed (and reported), DD is unlikely to pull many rabbits out of the hat for those voting to leave - maybe a Blue passport design (and I am not joking) is all he may be able to offer in the next 6 months or so, the BREXIT bill is a tricky lose-lose as I see it. Farage et al have persuaded a number that Brussels owes us money, so when a modest 25Bn deal is struck - that will appear a big loss.

So in sum, I think things will get worse for the Blues - there's no quick wins from BREXIT (passports aside) and a heck of a lot of unknowns - farm subsidies, higher education money, Airbus colbaoration, EU residents rights etc etc - all of these are likely to make some waves with little gain for the Tories - this may be their annus horriblus

The checking system would need to have access to the face recognition details of everyone in the world.
  • Options
    Horse said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

a lot will depend on how the BREXIT negotiations are viewed (and reported), DD is unlikely to pull many rabbits out of the hat for those voting to leave - maybe a Blue passport design (and I am not joking) is all he may be able to offer in the next 6 months or so, the BREXIT bill is a tricky lose-lose as I see it. Farage et al have persuaded a number that Brussels owes us money, so when a modest 25Bn deal is struck - that will appear a big loss.

So in sum, I think things will get worse for the Blues - there's no quick wins from BREXIT (passports aside) and a heck of a lot of unknowns - farm subsidies, higher education money, Airbus colbaoration, EU residents rights etc etc - all of these are likely to make some waves with little gain for the Tories - this may be their annus horriblus

Booklets with a cover were introduced in 1915, so before the Lady Chatterley's Lover trial and therefore, yes, the Victorian period :)

Surely anything before the Summer of Love in 1967 is Victorian?
This discussion has been closed.