Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Playing it long. When will this Parliament end?

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mr. Surbiton, it's the reign of Her Majesty. And during that time we have, uniquely amongst all the nations of the globe, won the world cups of football, rugby and cricket.

When did we win the cricket world cup? I thought that was never?
    We won the T20 World Cup in 2010.
    Coalition government GAIN .. :smile:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,986
    It looks like Tim Farron is in trouble. Who saw that coming?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

Mr. Eagles, cricket is 200mph too slow.

That's cricket at its best.

I still relive the first Ashes test of the 2009 series as Monty Panesar and James Anderson batted to draw the test match, every dot ball was cheered like winning a game.

It was slow, it was agonising, it was unmissable.
    You mean Monty and Graeme Swann, don't you?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

I still relive the first Ashes test of the 2009 series as Monty Panesar and James Anderson batted to draw the test match, every dot ball was cheered like winning a game.

Sorry, ignore me, you're right. I was just being diverted by the memory of Steven Fry's line "Ah, the sound of leather on Graeme Swann"
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,349

No, see here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/may/02/20-great-ashes-moments-cardiff

(I think this has been about the fourth time this week this link has been posted, usually as a political metaphor.)
  • Options
    Roger said:

God.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,858

Monty and Jimmy Anderson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/8146497.stm
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

Nobody pays tax or not based on their age. I think the elderly don't pay NI but that aside we pay based on what we are earning.

NI is massive.
    Yes, it's utterly bizarre that oldies who still working don't pay it. (The employer does pay the Employer's Contribution, though).
    You can think of it that way, but since it is levied on the employee's wages and comes and goes as employees start and leave, then ER's is really a tax levied on the employee.

Calling it Employer's NI is a huge lie which is only secondary to pretending that National Insurance insures anything. It is simply used to track eligibility for pensions and to fund next week's pensions payout. It should really be called National Pension Fund. It would be more honest.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    edited June 2017

Nobody pays tax or not based on their age. I think the elderly don't pay NI but that aside we pay based on what we are earning.

That's obviously true and I didn't suggest otherwise. However, there is equally obviously a negative correlation between age and being in work, and a positive correlation between age and owning property (and other wealth). The dichotomy I point to is that we tax income a lot and wealth not so much which, owing to these correlations, corresponds to taxing the young a lot and the old not so much. This is actually a political choice, but we are so used to income taxation that I believe we frequently forget this. Once we remember that it is a choice, we can ask whether we have chosen equitably.

Until then, we will forever have Nick Timothy and his acolytes remarking that the old seem to want the young to pay for their "free stuff" (or vice versa as the situation dictates). Obviously it will appear that way if we tax only income and provide public services, such as care, which the old use disproportionately. But, as I said to Mr Meeks, this characterisation of the old is a non-sequitur. The old may well be happy to contribute some known fraction of their wealth as part of an equitable general taxation settlement. That question wasn't put to them. What seems clear now is that they are not so keen to contribute an unknown, random, and possibly catastrophic fraction of it. This is unsurprising to me.
  • Options
    Kicking off on July 1st, just glad it ain't July 8th.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/875029429390643201
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,632

Mortimer said:

nunuone said:

The country was going mad for "dogs at polling stations", yes fox hunting hurt.

You know huntsmen love their hounds, right? I don't know better dog owners...
    While they're fit, yes. Otherwise, not always so much:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-healthy-foxhounds---including-6061265
    They are working animals Nick. Aside from the article being typically sensationalist.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    Roger said:

He was in trouble the moment Vince got back in the House..... The "private polling" is probably already underway.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Nigelb said:

On the topic of sprinkler systems for high rise apartment buildings, I was dubious about whether it would be possible practically to retrofit systems in old buildings.
    Doing a quick search, at least one company claims to be able to provide 'boosted cold water supply' systems for as little as £400 per apartment - which in the context of this £10m refurbishment might have added around 5% to the cost.
    Here are case studies on their website:
    http://www.trianglesprinklersystems.co.uk/case-study

Of course it's way too early to say that an installed system would have made any difference to last night's tragic event (particularly as it's possible the problem lay with the external cladding)
    I also readily concede that I don't know how easy it might have been to fit such as system in this building, but it does cast further light on the general 'not enough resources' claims. In the context of a major refurbishment, such sums are not unaffordable.

One of the interesting points I heard this afternoon was that the fire service were delayed reaching the last few floors at the top because of a fractured gas main. Surely if that is correct, it would be better to have only electrical power supplies to blocks of flats rather than gas supplies?
    On radio 4 this aft they were saying that new gas risers had been installed. Using the stairwells. Which of course are the exits in event of fire.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,266
    Just listening to the radio driving home, discussing the horrific events in Kensington. This is a huge scandal in waiting given the evidence of resident concerns, failure to properly learn and implement the lessons from previous fires etc. It will go to the heart of how local Government operates these days.

• Options
    Roger said:

What sort of trouble exactly? Don't tease.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

Roger said:

God.
    By all accounts 'HE' played a significant part. You can't trust anyone these days
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Roger, didn't a few suggest he might end up toddling off?

Mr. Eagles, that might end up helping the government.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038

Kicking off on July 1st, just glad it ain't July 8th.

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/875029429390643201

Didn't we just have an election?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Scott_P said:

Mr. P, Corbyn was elected Labour leader prior to the referendum.

Yes, but his "success" is a result of the vote.

If Cameron were still in post, and we were not leaving, Corbyn would just be another useless LOTO
    And a totally useless pack of Bullingdon clowns in charge....
  • Options

Mr. Me, hmm. I could've sworn we did (must admit, I don't follow it).

Well, by itself the rugby and football titles are uniquely both won by us.

To be honest there are probably only two countries in the world that could realistically pull that off.

Though the Scots might have managed it in the 70s and 80s.

Being a Scottish football and rugby fan must be a painful experience.
    Argentina were rugby semifinalists in 2015. And most leading rugby nations have either made or ought to have made a football world cup quarterfinal at their peak.
  • Options

One of the interesting points I heard this afternoon was that the fire service were delayed reaching the last few floors at the top because of a fractured gas main. Surely if that is correct, it would be better to have only electrical power supplies to blocks of flats rather than gas supplies?

Agreed. As good as it is to cook upon, I have always been uneasy about gas in houses and especially in large blocks. It seems easier for it to go badly wrong than electricity.
  • Options

I was at headingly in 1981. Unfortunately on day 2, not 4 or 5.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Roger said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

God.
    By all accounts 'HE' played a significant part. You can't trust anyone these days
    what are you talking about? Leadership election?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Roger said:

No one. It's not coming.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So incase people are wondering how Twitter liberal-bubble-verse is reacting to the tower fire my timeline is wall-to-wall-wall on the list of Con MPs who are landlords who voted against the bill that was portrayed as making rented accommodation fit for human habitation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. D, yes, but capitalist pigdogs may have voted.

Incidentally, suggestions on Twitter some students voted twice.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    atia2 said:

Agreed. As good as it is to cook upon, I have always been uneasy about gas in houses and especially in large blocks. It seems easier for it to go badly wrong than electricity.
    I hate cooking on electric stoves.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

That's delightfully and refreshingly honest, although very unfortunate for you.

I think Botham once observed that more people have told him they were there than the ground could physically have held!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Alistair said:

So incase people are wondering how Twitter liberal-bubble-verse is reacting to the tower fire my timeline is wall-to-wall-wall on the list of Con MPs who are landlords who voted against the bill that was portrayed as making rented accommodation fit for human habitation.

Yuck. These people really are the nastiest of the nasty (and I don't mean the MPs).
  • Options

Roger said:

Only the BBC news which says Paddick has gone blaming Farron's strange relationship with you- know-who adding 'the knives are out'. That rarely ends happily.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

That's delightfully and refreshingly honest, although very unfortunate for you.

I think Botham once observed that more people have told him they were there than the ground could physically have held!
    Ha. I can believe that. I think he did get a 50 in the first innings which might have been on day 2. Long time ago though. Probs day 3. As I think they declared quite late on day 2.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Nigelb said:

On the topic of sprinkler systems for high rise apartment buildings, I was dubious about whether it would be possible practically to retrofit systems in old buildings.
    Doing a quick search, at least one company claims to be able to provide 'boosted cold water supply' systems for as little as £400 per apartment - which in the context of this £10m refurbishment might have added around 5% to the cost.

Of course it's way too early to say that an installed system would have made any difference to last night's tragic event (particularly as it's possible the problem lay with the external cladding)
    I also readily concede that I don't know how easy it might have been to fit such as system in this building, but it does cast further light on the general 'not enough resources' claims. In the context of a major refurbishment, such sums are not unaffordable.

I thought that gas supply was banned from buildings more than four stories high because of the fire hazard. Maybe that was a red tape regulation that was ditched.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,097

YouGov's figures are interesting that there is no significant class difference between the parties but there is a big educational difference - essentially, the higher your level of education, the more likely you are to vote Labour (49-32 for people with degrees, 33-55 for people with just GCSEs). You might expect that to be linked with class but evidently it's not, presumably because if you're wealthy but made your way without higher education you're more likely to be Tory (think ambitious entrepreneur) while if you're poor but well-educated the reverse (think dedicated schoolteacher).

All kinds of generalised value judgments are tempting and best avoided; mainly it's just interesting and helps understand how politics is moving.

It's all multicollinearity. Older people have lower qualifications.
    The same is true for the "vote share v health" charts that were circulated recently. Older people have worse health.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Only the BBC news which says Paddick has gone blaming Farron's strange relationship with you- know-who adding 'the knives are out'. That rarely ends happily.
    Ah thanks.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Nigelb said:

I thought that gas supply was banned from buildings more than four stories high because of the fire hazard. Maybe that was a red tape regulation that was ditched.
    Red tape ditching is only ever a political slogan.
    In reality it never ever happens. Ever.
    Too many hi-viz wearing box-ticker salaries make sure of that.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    It could be good news for May if true. Nothing like a leadership election with some Big Beasts taking part to divert attention.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    On topic, when will this Parliament start?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It has started, hasn't it?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sorry I've been working outside all day - what has happened ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    It could be good news for May if true. Nothing like a leadership election with some Big Beasts taking part to divert attention.
    Indeed. I presumed he would be replaced before the next election but maybe not this soon. I think there's a "first leader to go" market kicking around somewhere but not anywhere I have an account.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,330
    atia2 said:

It seems like it might not be a problem for many more years:
    http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/huge-change-facing-property-world-as-gas-looks-set-to-be-phased-out/
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    Indeed. I presumed he would be replaced before the next election but maybe not this soon. I think there's a "first leader to go" market kicking around somewhere but not anywhere I have an account.
    Betfair exchange. Oddschecker says farron 4/11 but probs out of date and v little liquidity.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options

Swearing over next few days.

No other business scheduled on the HoC site.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,727

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    Betfair exchange. Oddschecker says farron 4/11 but probs out of date and v little liquidity.
    I'm on Farron as first to go at 3.5 on BF (from a couple of weeks ago).
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    He'll blame it all on the gays and embryo murderers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,662

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    1.02 now
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    Yes im sure the value of the pound will soar on the news of a jo swinson v vince cable clash

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
  • Options

According to House of Commons:

The State Opening of Parliament will take place on Monday 19 June 2017, this will mark the formal start of the parliamentary year.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2017/june/house-of-commons-returns-on-13-june-2017/
  • Options

Roger said:

Sorry I've been working outside all day - what has happened ?
    Paddick resigned and laid into Tim.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Alistair said:

Yuck. These people really are the nastiest of the nasty (and I don't mean the MPs).
    For all we know it could just be the cladding was flammable and/or was unfortunately installed in such a way that enabled the fire to spread rapidly. Pinning stuff on politicians at this very early stage is ridiculous and entirely politically driven. I will name one of the most prominent examples of the Twitter liberal-verse as you describe it - Paul Lewis of BBC Moneybox. He has a large very twitter following from people hoping for financial advice. Most of the time he is ruthlessly promoting his hard liberal and leftist political beliefs and within a few hours of this tragedy he was at it again doing all he can to shift the blame on to the Tory gov't, the Tory council or for good measure Boris Johnson as former mayor. Insidious.
  • Options

Queens Speech is next. Receding into next week according to the BBC
  • Options
    Farron gone according to Times
  • Options
    It's swinson vs methuselah surely
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346
    Tim Farron resigns leaving the path clear for Vince Cable
  • Options

According to House of Commons:

The State Opening of Parliament will take place on Monday 19 June 2017, this will mark the formal start of the parliamentary year.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2017/june/house-of-commons-returns-on-13-june-2017/
    No Queen's Speech = No State Opening of Parliament.

I suppose Liz might pop down for a chat in the Lords with Lord Paddick but then again ....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim Farron resigns leaving the path clear for Vince Cable

Come on Jo!!!!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Are even sure Vince Cable wants it, or that Norman Lamb doesn't? All 3 (and Swinson) seem viable to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Tim has resigned

If Swinson wants it (she is a young mum) she will walk it.

Vince would be the wrong choice.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Timothy asking "Why didn't Crosby and Messina TELL us we were behaving like suicidal twats"....?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cable would be a backwards step for the party. He's old, useless and still dining out on his Mr Bean joke. And he's an SDPer yuck
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,026

Alistair said:

What does such a law add to existing laws and regulations about rented housing?
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I doubt Lynton Crosby will be running any more conservative campaigns. I'm glad about that because I feel things have moved on so much, particularly where social media is concerned.

I would like to see Matthew Elliott, who ran the Vote Leave campaign, given the job.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tim has resigned

Only Times so far reporting this. Nothing by LibDem press office.
  • Options
    Last time LibDems chose the turkey. This time the Lamb?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Norman Lamb please. An actual liberal leading the Lib Dems might be nice.
  • Options
    Sky now reporting Farron gone
  • Options
    We could have a third party leader posting on PB ....

Mark Senior for LibDem leader !!

Huzzah .....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,397
    He might have a point - on the other hand, his self-absolving regarding the blame for the manifesto is ridiculous.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Just been out for my early evening beer with a group of brits living in spain, the tragedy that has unfurled today was not worthy of discussion, compare that to the terrorist attacks and they couldnt hold back. I do wonder about humanity. As an aside i said tim would go on monday before the weekend so was wrong by two days
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Goodbye Tim (you sanctimonious prat). Swinson surely now? They would be made to spring for Cable instead.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,174

Guardian posting messages.
    Jo Swindon?
  • Options
    Typo said:

Goodbye Tim (you sanctimonious prat). Swinson surely now? They would be made to spring for Cable instead.

It has to be Swinson. Young, energetic. Fresh.

Cable would be a bonkers move. Just remind everyone of the coalition.
  • Options
    Farron states he wants to be 'faithful to Christ' and it's incompatible with leader of LDs, lol. What a dick.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    My money is on Swinson. My vote (If I have one) is ABC.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    From what I have seen of Jeremy Corbyn these last two days, on both occasions heading to the House of Lords, he seemed to ignore the PM and looked a little cocky. He might feel he is entitled to, but it never lasts long. He doesn't seem to have any idea how to behave.
  • Options
    Faron was quitting the moment he had THAT interview with Andrew Neil. No way back.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tim has resigned

If Swinson wants it (she is a young mum) she will walk it.

Vince would be the wrong choice.

Agree its jo without a doubt
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Farron. Wholly unsuited to anything other than hand wringing.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    Nice one :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options

Jo Swindon?
    Sarah Olney favourite on thin money.
  • Options
    Pulpstar for Lib Dem leader
  • Options
    atia2 said:

Jo Swindon?
    Sarah Olney favourite on thin money.
    Eh?
  • Options
    Some of the results in Scotland were simply awful for the Lib Dems. Inverness must be the worst of the lot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,392
    So leading the Lib Dems is a sin?
  • Options

Pulpstar for Lib Dem leader

I won't be putting myself forward :)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    His sole legacy....
  • Options

So leading the Lib Dems is a sin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Timothy asking "Why didn't Crosby and Messina TELL us we were behaving like suicidal twats"....?

Quite right too. You don't pay the likes of Crosby and Messina the big bucks if they aren't in charge of strategy. I think they're vastly overrated. A very old fashioned and wrong headed campaign as was the one for Zak.

They hadn't taken the vital first step of understanding the make up of London and ran an immigration led campaign designed for Hartlepool. Their greatest achievement was pushing the blame onto Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    But nuttal went first
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346

Farron. Wholly unsuited to anything other than hand wringing.

Churchill, Thatcher, Blair, Cameron, Farron all Christians, Corbyn, Ed Miliband, Kinnock, Clegg and Tebbit atheists,
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Ah thanks.
    cheers. It was looking so dodgy for LibDems thru most of the campaign that i thought he would have to go.
This discussion has been closed.