Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time since the E.U. referendum it is possible we

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,457

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

isam said:

Both Labour and Tories have accepted the referendum result and are commited to implementing it.

And neither of them has an electoral mandate to do so.

Remedial democracy, again.
    For o much sleep.
    BUT /EFTA?
    As long as we leave I don't care. Must have said this 40 or 50 times now
    Excets. Good to know.
    W out. It really stifles sensible debate when people make comments like yours, theyre not even witty
    The only childish thing so far said in this exchange is "I don't care what deal we get as long as we're out". It shows that you have no idea what you voted for. Which is fine; plenty of people vote on gut feeling. Just don't try to say that you are having any kind of "sensible debate" about it.
    I think isam's point is absolutely reasonable actually - for lots of people the priority is to ensure Brexit happens, but are largely indifferent about what form it takes. Moreover, they really do not want controversy about the form of Brexit to be the very thing that derails Brexit.

This is not at all dissimilar to e.g. some Scottish pro-independence voters not having strong opinions about whether Scotland should keep the pound or the monarchy after independence - even if they did have a preference, they would rather take some form of independence than none, and would be upset if the thing that prevented independence was other people unable to agree on a strategy with respect to these things. It's particularly galling if you realise that fine details can be changed in the years to come - so long as independence happens.
    I get that point. In principle. But as ever it is the devil in the details. It is an emotive "cry freedom" view that of course is perfectly legitimate. But it is a false premise. These are the people who voted Leave to reclaim sovereignty but, as has been confirmed by David "Arch Brexiter" Davis, we were always sovereign, it was just that "it didn't feel like it".

So when someone says "thank god we are out of the EU and yes I'd be happy with the EEA/EFTA" it is the height of illogicality and I think an interesting topic for debate.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    isam said:

Patrick said:

Blimey. Over £8m bet on the next PM market on Betfair.

£3 of that is mine, backing the awesome Priti
    Interesting choice. The replacement for May needs to be :
    1. Young enough
    2. Engaging and articulate
    3. Sensible
    4. Likeable
    5. A Tory not a TINO or Miliband channeler
    6. Reasonable looking in this TV age
    7. Different, interesting, new.
    I think they could do alot worse than Priti Patel.
    Sounds sensible. Kwasi Kwarteng should be a runner too. A non white Conservative leader would stop a lot of ammo being thrown from the left.

I didn't want Theresa May to be the leader, but could accept she might be a safe and steady pair of hands. But in this day and age, she is not media friendly enough to win an election
    It'd be nice to see some new faces in ministerial posts. I really would like to see Rees-Mogg (I know it sounds mad), but also younger MPs like Alex Chalk from Cheltenham - I don't know much about him, but he seems quite capable.

I don't really feel that any of the obvious candidates is the right successor to May.
This discussion has been closed.