Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Youth and experience. Turnout among 18-24 year olds and past n

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    Scott_P said:
    Someone has inserted bad BREXIT in that headline surely better just saying Hunt will damage NHS
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    HaroldO said:

Just as May and Thatcher were the wrong kind of women to be the first two female PM's, if the Tories do get the first BAME PM I'm sure they will also be the wrong kind of BAME.

Tbf, when Thatcher was PM most women were Tories.

Most older women are also Tories now (with May as PM).

However, most BAME voters simply don't vote Conservative and I don't see that dramatically changing for the foreseeable future. So by definition, to be a BAME 'Conservative' is to be very different from other BAME voters.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,773
    RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Just as May and Thatcher were the wrong kind of women to be the first two female PM's, if the Tories do get the first BAME PM I'm sure they will also be the wrong kind of BAME.

Somebody once said I was the wrong kind of BAME because I had been privately educated and grew up in a nice part of the country, rather than on a council estate.
    Know your place, TSE.
    It's the same reason why some Islamophobes hate/obsess about me.

I'm the living embodiment of everything they think a Muslim can't be.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

HaroldO said:

However, most BAME voters simply don't vote Conservative and I don't see that dramatically changing for the foreseeable future. So by definition, to be a BAME 'Conservative' is to be very different from other BAME voters.
    Getting the excuses in early? :p
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    BigIan said:

They should put one out with Diane Abbott waiting for Corbyn to unlock her potential.

I fear she has long since exceeded her potential...

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2017

HaroldO said:

So it only counts if the BAME isn't a Conservative?!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

@bigjohnowls Have no idea who this Toby is, but I'm sorry to hear that he thinks that.

He's the MP Ed M (allegedly) stood on a box to avoid being towered over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977991/What-tall-story-Labour-forced-deny-claims-Miliband-stood-box-pictured-6ft-6in-MP.html

2015 - it was a more innocent time.
    I voted for Ed M 'reluctantly' back then. I'd vote for him wholeheartedly now.
    He doesn't deserve Corbyn to outperform him. I was relaxed about him being PM, which I thought would happen.
    You never know, we could be onto polling disaster MK 2. In any case, Corbyn won't outperform him in terms of seats.

To think they called him 'Red Ed' for five years in a row.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

Tbf I don't blame her not trusting John 'I'm a Marxist' McDonnell. Most Labour MPs would never go down any extreme economic plan but McDonnell.....

Fear not. Jezza is a great believer in the restorative and contemplative value of gardening. He wants gardening for the many not the few.
    My mum and grandad are already lovers of gardening.

Don't think I'll ever be into it, though.

When I think of gardening, I think of two things:

(a. Gardners World
    (b. Alan Titchmarsh.
    In that case you're not thinking of gardening at all. You're thinking of television.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Tbf I don't blame her not trusting John 'I'm a Marxist' McDonnell. Most Labour MPs would never go down any extreme economic plan but McDonnell.....

Fear not. Jezza is a great believer in the restorative and contemplative value of gardening. He wants gardening for the many not the few.

(a. Gardners World
    (b. Alan Titchmarsh.
    In that case you're not thinking of gardening at all. You're thinking of television.
    As close as I want to get to gardening.
  • Options
    isam said:

HaroldO said:

Didn't say that. Just said that a BAME Conservative is atypical given that most BAME voters lean Labour.

Whereas this isn't necessarily the case in regards to women/older women and Thatcher/May.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869623684788563968

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869624922817130496

hp://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869636571397578752

htts://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869637966825758721

ht://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869644304700112896

What are the odds the Tories will have the first BAME PM?
    Tories will have a BAME PM within four years of me becoming an MP.

Just saying :lol:
    I thought you were a Liberal now!!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

(a. Gardners World
    (b. Alan Titchmarsh.
    You have to have your own before it becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.

Initially I was a conscript rather than a volunteer, but gradually the pleasure of nurturing plants into bloom takes over. Mine is an indoor job and involves constant human contact. The fresh air and solitude, even the slugs and rain, are a restorative. The pleasure of gardening is a primeval spiritual urge. Gardens feature in cultural and religious mythology, from the garden of Eden onwards.
  • Options
    Ok we might be getting a YouGov poll tonight

https://twitter.com/ptr_yeung/status/869659701151244289
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

hts://twitter.com/sunpolitics/status/869659797188169733

Outrageous slur - one thing Corbyn does not do is tell 'bare-faced' lies. He's a beard of year winner!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

But surely it's the EVIL Tories!!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2017
    BBC1 10pm leads on Corbyn not knowing cost of childcare proposals - as per 6pm.
  • Options

Wobble time??
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Christ
  • Options

Time to wobble.
  • Options
    Speaking of matters Parliamentary, I did the "Parliamentary" train from Knottingley to Goole today. Leaves Leeds at 1716, returns from Goole 1849.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Darth Vader as next Tory PM? or Darth Maul?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Wobble time??
    Other 18, Northern Ireland 1. Who's the special one then?
  • Options

isam said:

HaroldO said:

Didn't say that. Just said that a BAME Conservative is atypical given that most BAME voters lean Labour.

Whereas this isn't necessarily the case in regards to women/older women and Thatcher/May.
    So what?
  • Options

hps://twitter.com/ptr_yeung/status/869659701151244289

After a few days of Labour for the first time in the campaign having sustained poor moments? Gods, nothing is stopping the Labour surge, I honestly do not know what people are and are not responding to if that is what the numbers are showing.
  • Options
    ICM v YouGov.

Someone's wrong.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    BigIan said:

They should put one out with Diane Abbott waiting for Corbyn to unlock her potential.

I think Corbyn probably unlocked her potential in the GDR..
  • Options
    So what is YouGov doing that Electoral Calculus, for example, isnt?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017

Is there a particular dress code that the Tories prescribe?
    I think, having watched Django Unchained, that tories believe this is a decision for the individual owner to make.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    BBC 10pm news terrible for Corbyn, a full minute of him unable to say how much a key childcare policy would cost and fiddling about with his ipad and notepad looking like he was trying to find it
  • Options
    Seriously, Labour would have to be on 40 or Tories dip to about 40 for them to be short of a majority wouldn't they?
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

BigIan said:

I fear she has long since exceeded her potential...

Living embodiment of the Peter Principle.
  • Options

Popcorn time for PB, Adult nappies in social care for Tories!

Those attack ads are pushing more people to Labour!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

So what?
    It was a response to a post saying that as Thatcher/May were said to be the 'wrong' kind of woman, so the first BAME Conservative PM will be said to be the 'wrong' kind of BAME. I interpreted 'wrong' to mean unrepresentative, so I argued that May/Thatcher were representative of their demographics while a BAME Conservative is unlikely to be so.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

@bigjohnowls Have no idea who this Toby is, but I'm sorry to hear that he thinks that.

He's the MP Ed M (allegedly) stood on a box to avoid being towered over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977991/What-tall-story-Labour-forced-deny-claims-Miliband-stood-box-pictured-6ft-6in-MP.html

2015 - it was a more innocent time.
    I voted for Ed M 'reluctantly' back then. I'd vote for him wholeheartedly now.
    He doesn't deserve Corbyn to outperform him. I was relaxed about him being PM, which I thought would happen.
    You never know, we could be onto polling disaster MK 2. In any case, Corbyn won't outperform him in terms of seats.

To think they called him 'Red Ed' for five years in a row.
    Golly, I had forgotten 'Red Ed'. He looks Blairite from the perspective of where we are now.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Ha! Marvellous.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

Mays gone on those numbers. Some polls will end up with major egg on their faces.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,164

Time to wobble.
    Should that be the case how will Maybe’s colleagues react?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Talking of BME talent in the conservative party, has anybody else noticed, Kemi Badenoch, she is a London AM at the moment standing to be an MP in a safe seat this time. Very good presentations skills, highly intelligent. Seems to be libertarian leaning at hart that know how to present things in a way that keeps the social conservatives on side to. I don't what to jinks her in 10 to 20 years I could see her in high office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHX_KIvGBM
  • Options

YouGov from this equivalent stage in 2015?
  • Options
    If the Tories net lose seats, I will donate money to the Labour party as miracle workers deserve support.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

So what?
    It was a response to a post saying that as Thatcher/May were said to be the 'wrong' kind of woman, so the first BAME Conservative PM will be said to be the 'wrong' kind of BAME. I interpreted 'wrong' to mean unrepresentative, so I argued that May/Thatcher were representative of their demographics while a BAME Conservative is unlikely to be so.
    Oh well I don't think people mean that else they wouldn't say Thatcher was the wrong kind of woman (which they do/did). They said she was the wrong kind of woman because she wasn't a raging feminist, and no doubt the first BAME PM, if a Conservative, will be called all sorts by lefties, who will excuse themselves by saying its cos he or she is a Tory
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Darth Vader as next Tory PM? or Darth Maul?
    Try not to "choke" on your aspirations, Director!
  • Options

Time to wobble.
    Should that be the case how will Maybe’s colleagues react?
    Bring on the Garden Tax!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    BigRich said:

Talking of BME talent in the conservative party, has anybody else noticed, Kemi Badenoch, she is a London AM at the moment standing to be an MP in a safe seat this time. Very good presentations skills, highly intelligent. Seems to be libertarian leaning at hart that know how to present things in a way that keeps the social conservatives on side to. I don't what to jinks her in 10 to 20 years I could see her in high office.

First new MP in Saffron Walden for 40 years.
  • Options

If you believed Yougov Ed Miliband would be PM and Remain would have won EU ref, Comres got the last general election result far more accurately and ICM had Leave ahead in its final referendum poll
  • Options
    This must mean Labour are at least level-pegging with the Tories, meaning that ICM and YouGov are a full 12 points out.
  • Options

Never doubted it keep shouting IRA isnt working

TMICIPM in hung Parliament!!!
  • Options

Fantastic news. Must have polls, must have polls.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    RobD said:

This must mean Labour are at least level-pegging with the Tories, meaning that ICM and YouGov are a full 12 points out.

YouGov might have another batch of regional polling about to come out.
  • Options
    Every time I think we can relax about the prospects of Corbyn doing well, Labour improve. Whether they have a good day or bad day, they improve.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    How can "other" be on 18 and NI on 1 ?!
  • Options
    edited May 2017

It looks like those figures are based on the 5 point lead in voteshare Yougov had last Saturday week anyway, not a new poll
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If the Tories net lose seats, I will donate money to the Labour party as miracle workers deserve support.

How Much??

Your money is safe BTW
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

hps://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/869662428669374466

A full 57 seats higher than what I thought their ceiling would be. Seems implausible, but then it being raised as a possibility in the first place seemed implausible.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited May 2017

#Prayforseant
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/samcoatestimes/status/869662428669374466

Ah, a rolling poll. I wonder if they'll release the VI that went into this?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I am surprised that they are predicting NI party's on just 1, may be a misprint?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

The article gives Con43, Lab38, LD 10 UKIP 4

given that the tories have been consistently in the mid 40s, there's a disconnect between labour vote shares some are as low as 32 recently and others are as high as 38. I still think that there will be some serious egg on face for some pollsters.

I think that JC has energised his supporters and the 'shy tory' effect has come back into play. These polls are overstating labour as has been the case for 25 years.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

They've had another go, except this time NI is up ten...
  • Options

kle4 said:

How Much??

Your money is safe BTW
    Not much, I do not have much, and a result of the YouGov nature occurs then despite some covering bets, I will have lost more than I'd like.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So not based on a single poll then (and in this case a new poll).

YouGov need to explain what seats are swinging to Labour (and against the Tories).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They've had another go, except this time NI is up ten...
    Perhaps NI has annexed part of the mainland? :D
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

given that the tories have been consistently in the mid 40s, there's a disconnect between labour vote shares some are as low as 32 recently and others are as high as 38. I still think that there will be some serious egg on face for some pollsters.

I think that JC has energised his supporters and the 'shy tory' effect has come back into play. These polls are overstating labour as has been the case for 25 years.
    I agree TMICIPM
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Apparently that yougov data is based on a 7000 sample over 7 days using a complex model.

Not covinced tbh.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

YouGov need to explain what seats are swinging to Labour (and against the Tories).
    Yes, what are they picking up that even the most optimistic Labour people were not picking up either.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    spudgfsh said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-lead-cut-to-five-points-as-corbyn-closes-in-on-may-rgmckfnpp

scrap that he's retweeting an old poll just after the original seat projections.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Cookie said:

matt said:

alex. said:

The massive problem I see with this whole line of thinking is that it implies Brexit will be an issue in Bolsover. Why should it when Skinner himself was pro-Brexit?

If you are a Labour Leave voter in Bolsover why on earth would you vote for another MP when Skinner already ticks both boxes?
    Brexit is not what I read into that, I read identity. It will be a test of how off-putting Corbyn is to that demographic.
    Did Skinner not take most of the same policy positions as Corbyn on Falklands, Ireland etc?
    Indeed I'm not at all saying it will work, all i'm pointing out there are reasons the Conservatives might fancy their chances.
    I guess the point you're making is that Labour, Skinner have both taken Bolsover for granted and if there is an identity issue then will they have the electoral data to resist. Sort of like Scotland 2015. Having been to Bolsover a few times (brilliant castle, rest of it er...), I think it improbable that he'll lose but let's see.
    Bolsover is the antithesis of Metropolitan Labour. But apart from sharing a spot nominally on the far left of the party, so is Skinner. He'll hold his seat.
    Bolsover is the UK centre of satanism. Apparently.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/your-area-satanic-capital-britain-5046632
  • Options
    Corbyn heading for Downing Street in 9 days' time, it seems.
  • Options
    Nothing is ever as good as it seems for the Left. Trust in ICM.
  • Options

#Prayforseant
    LOL I did think let him not see this 'projection.'
  • Options
    Roll on next Thursday eve so we can find out who is right.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

First new MP in Saffron Walden for 40 years.
    Chosen virtually unanimously by the SW Con Assocn vs two CCHQ parachutists, one a May aide. Engineer & lawyer, mother of two, Jockish (I think) husband. Waiting for Jeremy to unlock her potential, obvs.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I was YouGov'd either this morning or yesterday. Anyone else?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roll on next Thursday eve so we can find out who is right.

there's going to be some serious egg on face for some of the pollsters wrt the labour vote share. both 32 and 38 can't both be in the margin of error can they?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, what are they picking up that even the most optimistic Labour people were not picking up either.
    I think they're assuming increased vote share = increase in seats.

@AndyJS You serious?
  • Options
    Playing around with Baxter. To get a CON short by 17 required:

Con 38, Lab 40

That's with LD 10, UKIP 4, GRN 2, and using the recent Scottish poll.

Who thinks that'll happen?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,562
    So what do we believe? Tories losing majority or a gap of 12%?

This is getting silly.
  • Options
    Will Dimbleby be able to cope with the tension?
  • Options
    My computer literally crashed within a minute of this projection being recorded - the prospect of a Corbyn success, in whatever form, is already ruining things!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con 38, Lab 40

that's a serious polling miss. especially since the tories have been on over 43% since the start of the GE
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    BigIan said:

Cookie said:

matt said:

alex. said:

The massive problem I see with this whole line of thinking is that it implies Brexit will be an issue in Bolsover. Why should it when Skinner himself was pro-Brexit?

If you are a Labour Leave voter in Bolsover why on earth would you vote for another MP when Skinner already ticks both boxes?
    Brexit is not what I read into that, I read identity. It will be a test of how off-putting Corbyn is to that demographic.
    Did Skinner not take most of the same policy positions as Corbyn on Falklands, Ireland etc?
    Indeed I'm not at all saying it will work, all i'm pointing out there are reasons the Conservatives might fancy their chances.
    I guess the point you're making is that Labour, Skinner have both taken Bolsover for granted and if there is an identity issue then will they have the electoral data to resist. Sort of like Scotland 2015. Having been to Bolsover a few times (brilliant castle, rest of it er...), I think it improbable that he'll lose but let's see.
    Bolsover is the antithesis of Metropolitan Labour. But apart from sharing a spot nominally on the far left of the party, so is Skinner. He'll hold his seat.
    Bolsover is the UK centre of satanism. Apparently.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/your-area-satanic-capital-britain-5046632
    What is the number of the Beast?
  • Options
    I notice that all talk of betting on this election has stopped!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

The one aspect which is wholly unfair and in my view entirely unacceptable is the fact that the Scots receive so-called Social Care without paying so much as a brass farthing, whilst the English and Welsh face having to pay as much as tens of thousands for their care ..... where's the equity in that? The massively generous Barnett formula give-aways simply cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.

I agree but needs to be done in context of a constitutional settlement otherwise it's "evil Tories robbing our bairns of their future"
    It certainly needs multi-party agreement and to achieve that will probably need to be phased over a 15-20 year period, so that the Scots gradually got used to paying for Social Care, Prescriptions, Winter Fuel Allowance, University Fees, etc., etc, etc., just like the rest of us.
    Why would the SNP agree to that?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JGForsyth: Word in Labour circles is that Corbyn is planning to do the BBC election debate tomorrow night. Will pit him against Amber Rudd plus others
  • Options

I notice that all talk of betting on this election has stopped!

Who the hell knows what is going on anymore?? Not sure I can make it through the next nine days.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

She didn't mean it, clearly. Everyone who votes Tory is apparently voting explicitly for a slightly lower standard of living in return for more sovereignty and lower immigration.

The Baby Boomers are voting themselves one last blast of privilege and champagne whilst handing the bill to those following them
    Yet they are worst off under the Tories' plan.

Are they? The vast majority of them will not go into care. About 1 in 3 do so.
    So, the probability of either one of your two grandfathers or one of your two grandmothers going into residential care is ... err ... very substantial. Odds on.

Almost every family in the land will be touched by this as life expectancy has increased inexorably.

And indeed, talking to my 12 year old daughter confirms that almost all her schoolfriends have a granny with dementia or an aunt with Parkinson’s.

This is not some remote possibility, as you seemingly envision.
    If I were a betting man...

Within 20 years neurodegenerative diseases will be entirely preventable. There will be a bolus of sufferers to be managed on a chronic basis but the flow of incoming patients will have been stemmed
    So those of us just passed 40 should be ok, right?
    :tongue:

Why do you think I am so focused on this area of research...?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con 38, Lab 40

https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbyn4PM/status/869618687766142980
  • Options
    Must be an old 2015 prediction - hung parliament????
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,809
    spudgfsh said:

If we can squeeze half of the sandal-wearers, then it is 43-43.

Channeling my inner King Kev, I would love it if we can deprive May of a majority.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,562
    Scott_P said:
    Gist of that article: yes, we've produced a poll but absolutely no-one is convinced it's accurate.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

Con 38, Lab 40

that's a serious polling miss. especially since the tories have been on over 43% since the start of the GE
    Yes, the Conservative VI has been the one consistent in this campaign. YouGov hasn't explained how/why their projections are showing a drop in the Conservative VI.
  • Options

So what do we believe? Tories losing majority or a gap of 12%?

This is getting silly.

Quite so - the pollsters do not appear to be herding to share in any failure together, they are going big and bold with competing visions.

I can see the appeal in much of the Labour manifesto. I can see the appeal in some of what Corbyn represents (for some people at any rate). It would be churlish to deny they have had a good campaign and they have had a swelling in support.

But the fundamentals as they existed going into this campaign, when the Tories were leagues ahead and Labour were losing seats in every country of this United Kingdom, simply does not make any sense with the idea they will net gain seats, significantly. People change their support, swiftly sometimes. But so many, so swiftly?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con 38, Lab 40

LAB over 20..............etc etc etc
  • Options

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.