Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Youth and experience. Turnout among 18-24 year olds and past n

Comments

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    notme said:
    i've been out of contact. What happened?

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

She didn't mean it, clearly. Everyone who votes Tory is apparently voting explicitly for a slightly lower standard of living in return for more sovereignty and lower immigration.

The Baby Boomers are voting themselves one last blast of privilege and champagne whilst handing the bill to those following them
    Yet they are worst off under the Tories' plan.

Are they? The vast majority of them will not go into care. About 1 in 3 do so.
    So, the probability of either one of your two grandfathers or one of your two grandmothers going into residential care is ... err ... very substantial. Odds on.

Almost every family in the land will be touched by this as life expectancy has increased inexorably.

And indeed, talking to my 12 year old daughter confirms that almost all her schoolfriends have a granny with dementia or an aunt with Parkinson’s.

This is not some remote possibility, as you seemingly envision.
    If I were a betting man...

Within 20 years neurodegenerative diseases will be entirely preventable. There will be a bolus of sufferers to be managed on a chronic basis but the flow of incoming patients will have been stemmed
    Judging by recent major medical developments, I think you are right. In fact I'd be surprised if major developments in both the treatment and cure hadn't been achieved within the next 10 years, 15 years tops, so we are probably at or close to the highest incidence and cost of treating dementia, Parkinsons , etc.

The one aspect which is wholly unfair and in my view entirely unacceptable is the fact that the Scots receive so-called Social Care without paying so much as a brass farthing, whilst the English and Welsh face having to pay as much as tens of thousands for their care ..... where's the equity in that? The massively generous Barnett formula give-aways simply cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.
    I agree but needs to be done in context of a constitutional settlement otherwise it's "evil Tories robbing our bairns of their future"
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    That didnt go as Leanne Wood had wished - Con said no political points fromManchester we should all work together - Leane Wood: Police cuts make it political met in stony silence from audience
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Under-25 voting. I think we can safely ignore the Survation data, but other pollsters have more sensible data and still show a narrowing Tory lead. e.g. Yougov data has 57% of young voters saying they'll vote, which sounds about right. The percentage has been increasing since 2014 because voter registration in this group was low, but the new people coming on to the register have a high likelihood of voting.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225

alex. said:

O/T - how does Labour's "National Care Service" compare to SNP's policy of free personal care for the elderly (in scope and cost)? And is it not possible to look at the cost in Scotland to ridicule the Labour estimate of £3billion in the rest of the country.

On a related note - has anyone estimated the effect of Labour's policies on the Barnett formula? If Labour are proposing to shift the cost of many services from individuals to the state, will this not feed through into Barnett consequentials? eg. Tuition fees which at the moment Scotland have to pay for themselves because isn't something that the Government fund in England.

Scotland does not seem to provide free residential care.

The limits in Scotland seem to be the same as the limits in the rest of the UK

https://tinyurl.com/y9eqt5wc

If you have dementia and assets of more than 26,500, then I think you’re probably paying your care home fees yourself in Scotland.

Happy to be corrected if any resident of Scotland knows differently.
    In Scotland you receive free personal care at home for as long as you want or are able to benefit from it. I was under the impression that in England the value of your assets would included to pay for home care.
    Home care being far and away the least expensive option. And no one takes any money whilst the sufferer is alive. And the allowance is being increased. Alternative taxes are a subsidy from the poorer to the rich.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    AnneJGP said:

notme said:
    i've been out of contact. What happened?

Good evening, everyone.
    Someone dared question Dear Leader.
  • Options

The summer of 69!

I got my first real six-string
    Bought it at the five-and-dime
    Played it till my fingers bled
    Was the summer of '69

There was that infamous Club 18-30 advert - "Summer of 69"
    Their Beaver Espana one gained notoriety too.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited May 2017
    Directly from the quoted graphic... (as ever DYOR!). If the 65+ is 12m as you say (and you are correct according to that ONS link), then the Con:Lab differential in the two age groups falls to 3:1 roughly. Still underlines the relative power of the older Conservative vote compared to the younger Labour vote.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    What happens if we downweight the 18-24 year olds "certainty to vote" down to the same number as the next older age cohort?

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/869333901445136386
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    AndyJS said:

18-24 is far too small an age bracket IMO. It only accounts for about 9% of the population. 18-30 or 18-35 would be more useful.

9% indicates it is over-represented on the pyramid for such a small band. I guess this is good for the moment, but long term it could be an issue.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited May 2017
    Paddy's gone hyperbolic

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/30/ashdown-horrified-parallels-between-uk-1930s-germany

Is this the first example of somebody losing an argument due to Godwin's law before the opposition have had a chance to make their opening statements?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    notme said:
    Kuenssberg. And you do realise that most of what look to you like Jewish names are actually just German names, do you?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,577
    matt said:

alex. said:

The massive problem I see with this whole line of thinking is that it implies Brexit will be an issue in Bolsover. Why should it when Skinner himself was pro-Brexit?

If you are a Labour Leave voter in Bolsover why on earth would you vote for another MP when Skinner already ticks both boxes?
    Brexit is not what I read into that, I read identity. It will be a test of how off-putting Corbyn is to that demographic.
    Did Skinner not take most of the same policy positions as Corbyn on Falklands, Ireland etc?
    Indeed I'm not at all saying it will work, all i'm pointing out there are reasons the Conservatives might fancy their chances.
    I guess the point you're making is that Labour, Skinner have both taken Bolsover for granted and if there is an identity issue then will they have the electoral data to resist. Sort of like Scotland 2015. Having been to Bolsover a few times (brilliant castle, rest of it er...), I think it improbable that he'll lose but let's see.
    Bolsover is the antithesis of Metropolitan Labour. But apart from sharing a spot nominally on the far left of the party, so is Skinner. He'll hold his seat.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

She didn't mean it, clearly. Everyone who votes Tory is apparently voting explicitly for a slightly lower standard of living in return for more sovereignty and lower immigration.

The Baby Boomers are voting themselves one last blast of privilege and champagne whilst handing the bill to those following them

So, the probability of either one of your two grandfathers or one of your two grandmothers going into residential care is ... err ... very substantial. Odds on.

Almost every family in the land will be touched by this as life expectancy has increased inexorably.

And indeed, talking to my 12 year old daughter confirms that almost all her schoolfriends have a granny with dementia or an aunt with Parkinson’s.

Within 20 years neurodegenerative diseases will be entirely preventable. There will be a bolus of sufferers to be managed on a chronic basis but the flow of incoming patients will have been stemmed
    Judging by recent major medical developments, I think you are right. In fact I'd be surprised if major developments in both the treatment and cure hadn't been achieved within the next 10 years, 15 years tops, so we are probably at or close to the highest incidence and cost of treating dementia, Parkinsons , etc.

The one aspect which is wholly unfair and in my view entirely unacceptable is the fact that the Scots receive so-called Social Care without paying so much as a brass farthing, whilst the English and Welsh face having to pay as much as tens of thousands for their care ..... where's the equity in that? The massively generous Barnett formula give-aways simply cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely.
    I agree but needs to be done in context of a constitutional settlement otherwise it's "evil Tories robbing our bairns of their future"
    It certainly needs multi-party agreement and to achieve that will probably need to be phased over a 15-20 year period, so that the Scots gradually got used to paying for Social Care, Prescriptions, Winter Fuel Allowance, University Fees, etc., etc, etc., just like the rest of us.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Dadge said:

Under-25 voting. I think we can safely ignore the Survation data, but other pollsters have more sensible data and still show a narrowing Tory lead. e.g. Yougov data has 57% of young voters saying they'll vote, which sounds about right. The percentage has been increasing since 2014 because voter registration in this group was low, but the new people coming on to the register have a high likelihood of voting.

It was just over 40% at GE 2015.

But nearly 60% at EU Ref 2016.

So it could be 57% this time - but on the other hand it could easily be quite a lot lower.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,274
    Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

So those of us just passed 40 should be ok, right?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cookie said:

alex. said:

dr_spyn said:

Had another glossy A3 double sided Labour leaflet, no mention of Corbyn anywhere.

Not sure why fox hunting is mentioned, but I would have appreciated the presence of foxhounds as a fox cub was rooting around the garden by the kitchen door last night. Plenty of material on education, social and health care but no ideas about how to pay for it. Absolutely sweet FA for those not employed by the public sector. [snip]

I thought the long term plan was to have everybody employed by the public sector... ;)

There was a massive shit on my drive this morning. Too big for a cat, even an enormous one. Too close to the house to be a dog - you get the odd dog owner turning a blind eye to that sort of thing on a pavement, but few are audacious enough to march up to the top of someone's drive to relieve their dogs. Presumably not human, unless the milkman got caught particularly short. Foxes?

Even if it was a fox, I don't think the irritation involved in the incident is enough to make me want to board a horse and set a lot of dogs on the foxes of Sale in revenge. There aren't many votes in fox hunting outside of safe, safe Tory seats in the countryside. And quite a lot of votes in not-fox hunting.
    Fox poo is about the size of cat poo, but tarrier and stinks to high heaven. It is fairly distinctive.

To be that big it is either human or a large dog, presumably off a lead. Burgulars often drop their trousers through nerves, but usually inside a property.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cookie said:

matt said:

alex. said:

The massive problem I see with this whole line of thinking is that it implies Brexit will be an issue in Bolsover. Why should it when Skinner himself was pro-Brexit?

If you are a Labour Leave voter in Bolsover why on earth would you vote for another MP when Skinner already ticks both boxes?
    Brexit is not what I read into that, I read identity. It will be a test of how off-putting Corbyn is to that demographic.
    Did Skinner not take most of the same policy positions as Corbyn on Falklands, Ireland etc?
    Indeed I'm not at all saying it will work, all i'm pointing out there are reasons the Conservatives might fancy their chances.
    I guess the point you're making is that Labour, Skinner have both taken Bolsover for granted and if there is an identity issue then will they have the electoral data to resist. Sort of like Scotland 2015. Having been to Bolsover a few times (brilliant castle, rest of it er...), I think it improbable that he'll lose but let's see.
    Bolsover is the antithesis of Metropolitan Labour. But apart from sharing a spot nominally on the far left of the party, so is Skinner. He'll hold his seat.
    Which was my conclusion. But my real question is why bother - what can he do or say which he hasn't said a million times before (faod this analysis can be applied to a number of elderly MPs regardless of party). In short, would really loving the Labour Party mean handing over now to give someone else the chance to establish themselves?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/30/ashdown-horrified-parallels-between-uk-1930s-germany

Is this the first example of somebody losing an argument due to Godwin's law before the opposition have had a chance to make their opening statements?

He has some good points about May avoiding debate, but wrapping it up in turgid hyperbole about the rise of Hitler is daft. It draws the eye away from his actual point.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,274
    notme said:
    It happened in my very household last night. I said to my daughter "no more questions, it's time for bed"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:
    Nicola saying the election wasn't about independence after winning 56 seats? Always going on about independence she is.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

notme said:
    Kuenssberg. And you do realise that most of what look to you like Jewish names are actually just German names, do you?
    I think the point was more about the direct attack on journalists than them both potentially being Jewish.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

He has some good points about May avoiding debate, but wrapping it up in turgid hyperbole about the rise of Hitler is daft. It draws the eye away from his actual point.
    Yeah, but even on May avoiding debates, does he not see an irony in saying that "if this was Italy we'd be stringing people up from the lampposts"! Is he suggesting that Italy is an example of a country (in comparison to the UK, presumably) that will resist a drift to Fascism...
  • Options

You have articulated the poor politics of the Tory manifesto launch.

Loads of people have now been a) exposed to what a tricky situation the current system is b) proposed an alternative, with no prep of the ground, whereby inheritance is lost and, crucially, people instinctively feel they have lost control of their own homes.

It what happens when a policy wonk gets to decide a major event in the middle of a GE without any input from politicians.

I think there is never a good time for a politician to discuss dementia, or the funding of social care.

I am pleased that I won’t have to deal with the social care system in this country for a few decades. I am very sorry for those who will have to.

Because they are in for a very unpleasant time. And that it is the only reason why I post on the subject.

I am not interested in political point scoring on such a matter. It is too important.
    I'm not interested in point scoring either. But to get from where we are now to a better place needs intelligent managing of how the public see the issue and the costs. We haven't had that - from any of the parties. And I'm bloody angry about that.
    We have not had it from the opposition parties and the media are not interested in shedding light on it... they just want blood on the floor the big themselves up.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

"Asked out May’s refusal to take part in a live TV debate, Ashdown said he was astonished. “I thought it was shocking and the extraordinary thing is, she’s got away with it. If this was Italy, we’d be stringing people from the lamp-posts.

“We are the only advanced democracy in the world in which the leader of our nation can get away with not turning up to have a proper debate with the opposition. I think it is extraordinary and we don’t seem to be kicking up a fuss about it.”"

No racial stereotyping there, then, from Paddy. Those wops, ey?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Ishmael_Z said:

notme said:
    I think the point was more about the direct attack on journalists than them both potentially being Jewish.
    Oddly, I sort of understand the unhappiness that enthusiasts have with journalists, although it's frequently taken too far. There's an impression that they think themselves the story, or at least the centre of it, rather than just being intermediators between the politician and the public. Nobody's perfect in this story, but the rise of the celebrity journalist is unhelpful in that respect.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,314
    rcs1000 said:

It happened in my very household last night. I said to my daughter "no more questions, it's time for bed"

"Daddy, why do you not feel European?" :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Ishmael_Z said:

HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

"Asked out May’s refusal to take part in a live TV debate, Ashdown said he was astonished. “I thought it was shocking and the extraordinary thing is, she’s got away with it. If this was Italy, we’d be stringing people from the lamp-posts.

“We are the only advanced democracy in the world in which the leader of our nation can get away with not turning up to have a proper debate with the opposition. I think it is extraordinary and we don’t seem to be kicking up a fuss about it.”"

No racial stereotyping there, then, from Paddy. Those wops, ey?
    As someone who thinks May should have debated, his points are pretty silly. I don't think PMQs is a substitute for not having a debate during election time, but there are plenty of advanced democracies where the most senior political figure doesn't regularly debate or answer questions directly from their opponents.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

More than OK, if Charles can get us in at the ground floor with the relevant pharma start-ups.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

Yeah, but even on May avoiding debates, does he not see an irony in saying that "if this was Italy we'd be stringing people up from the lampposts"! Is he suggesting that Italy is an example of a country (in comparison to the UK, presumably) that will resist a drift to Fascism...
    It's an odd line, I'm not sure if he is saying they would do that because they would follow fascism or be against it vehemently. If it's the latter than his research has been....rather cursory.
    You would think that someone writing a book would be clearer in their thoughts.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Daddy, what is Bolitical Petting?
  • Options
    As a point of interest re: debates. I don't know if it was offered, but what is May's theoretical position on a one on one debate with Corbyn, excluding other party leaders?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,314
    matt said:

There's an impression that they think themselves the story, or at least the centre of it, rather than just being intermediators between the politician and the public. Nobody's perfect in this story, but the rise of the celebrity journalist is unhelpful in that respect.

I agree with your central point, but isn't it precisely seeing themselves as intermediators that has led to some of the problems? Particularly since Marr/Robinson, TV political journalists have adopted a style of dumbing down that consists of a personality focused interpretation of events rather than simply offering straight reportage and letting the audience think for themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

htts://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869623684788563968

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869624922817130496

hp://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869636571397578752

htts://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869637966825758721

ht://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869644304700112896

The key word was 'trusted'. Under Corbyn, the unlocked potential would not lead to BAME people joining the, gasp, Conservative Party.

Or I suppose if he was really bad he might unlock a lot more BAME conservatives in the end.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,205
    Ishmael_Z said:

HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

Who knew that was their real beef with Mussolini ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869623684788563968

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869636571397578752

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869637966825758721

htps://twitter.com/jamescleverly/status/869644304700112896

If whoever thought of that also thought of the Corbyn IRA video, a dukedom is in order.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Scott_P said:

What are the odds the Tories will have the first BAME PM?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Just told my mum about Labour's 'garden tax', she said that it 'was communism' and she's definitely voting Conservative.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited May 2017

Just told my mum about Labour's 'garden tax', she said that it 'was communism' and she's definitely voting Conservative.

:o I'm guessing she's not a 'natural' Tory ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

matt said:

There's an impression that they think themselves the story, or at least the centre of it, rather than just being intermediators between the politician and the public. Nobody's perfect in this story, but the rise of the celebrity journalist is unhelpful in that respect.

I agree with your central point, but isn't it precisely seeing themselves as intermediators that has led to some of the problems? Particularly since Marr/Robinson, TV political journalists have adopted a style of dumbing down that consists of a personality focused interpretation of events rather than simply offering straight reportage and letting the audience think for themselves.
    Tediously, I don't disagree. Albeit that the mixing of opinion and reportage is hardly confined to political reporters and is clearly part of the job spec of the modern news journalist. Which would be fine if they were as bright as they clearly believe they are.

Edit: and I suspect that you overestimate the desire of the audience to think for themselves by assuming your approach is that of the wider public.
  • Options

Even after the Dementia Tax?!

More to the point, if that kind of reaction is even slightly replicated elsewhere, the Tories would be advised to go hard on it, even if the Labour policy is technically only to review council tax with that as an option.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

only if TM promotes more BAME cabinet ministers. IIRC it's only Javid and Patel at the moment.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

only if TM promotes more BAME cabinet ministers. IIRC it's only Javid and Patel at the moment.
    If she gets a landslide its a good time for a clear out of those she didn't feel ready to ditch in 2016, means more spots might open up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

:o I'm guessing she's not a 'natural' Tory ?
    She voted Conservative once before - 1992, as she liked John Major. The rest of the time LD or Labour. I'd say she was a floater - she's open to voting for all parties, in theory with the exception of UKIP.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,205
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

More than OK, if Charles can get us in at the ground floor with the relevant pharma start-ups.
    Some promising drugs are off patent:
    https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/doi/10.1093/brain/awx074/3737867/Repurposed-drugs-targeting-eIF2-P-mediated
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Charles said:

It certainly needs multi-party agreement and to achieve that will probably need to be phased over a 15-20 year period, so that the Scots gradually got used to paying for Social Care, Prescriptions, Winter Fuel Allowance, University Fees, etc., etc, etc., just like the rest of us.
    That's what the Barnett Formula, and inflation, would already do, were it not for the fact that Scotland's population continues to shrink as a proportion of the UK.

It's the relative shrinkage of Scotland's population that has lead to the fiscal imbalance.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More to the point, if that kind of reaction is even slightly replicated elsewhere, the Tories would be advised to go hard on it, even if the Labour policy is technically only to review council tax with that as an option.
    Yes, even after the Dementia Tax.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,736
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Tories will have a BAME PM within four years of me becoming an MP.

Just saying :lol:
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    YouGov tonight? Time?
  • Options

I think Alastair's spot on with the lack of Corbyn toxicity among the same time (Woman's Hour aside), I think he's played a blinder turning his image from a grouchy lefty nerd into a competent human being in time for this campaign. Smiling on the One Show and playing along with the family photo stuff will attract as many as honouring IRA killers will repulse. Maybe unfair; maybe a poor reflection on society. But I think that combination is behind the narrowing in the polls.

(I'd also agree we shouldn't get carried away and that we're still talking about reducing the Tory landslide to just a solid win!)

I think Alastair's spot on with the lack of Corbyn toxicity among younger voters. And I think it stretches far beyond the 18-24s.

I'm nearly as old as Alastair, and although I *recall* the Falklands and the latter half of the IRA campaign, they (happily) weren't something which affected me or my family directly apart from a few inconvenient road closures for bomb threats when I worked in London in the 90s. I probably have a better knowledge of current affairs and modern history than most, and even for me, an image of hippy Corbyn in his mum's homemade jumper on a Republican march doesn't make me squirm with revulsion. I understand why it has more resonance for people ten years older. I respect that, but it doesn't bring out the same visceral, emotional "how could anyone support him?" reaction, and I suspect that will limit how much mud sticks.

I should imagine it was the same for young people in the sixties and seventies... wondering why a generation above them would sooner spit on a Japanese or German person than collaborate and compete in the modern world.

At the same time (Woman's Hour aside), I think he's played a blinder turning his image from a grouchy lefty nerd into a competent human being in time for this campaign. Smiling on the One Show and playing along with the family photo stuff will attract as many as honouring IRA killers will repulse. Maybe unfair; maybe a poor reflection on society. But I think that combination is behind the narrowing in the polls.

(I'd also agree we shouldn't get carried away and that we're still talking about reducing the Tory landslide to just a solid win!)

Politician kisses baby shock.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HaroldO said:

alex. said:

Paddy's gone hyperbolic

Who knew that was their real beef with Mussolini ?
    He made the trains run on time but gassed Abyssinia and ignored the legacy of Prester John. Trade offs I guess.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Toby Perkins‏Verified account @tobyperkinsmp 31m31 minutes ago
    This is a total lie. God how desperate are these Tories.

I will send Toby round can I have your mothers Address
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

YouGov tonight? Time?

Tomorrow night.
  • Options
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

More than OK, if Charles can get us in the ground ...

For a moment, I thought you were talking euthanasia, not investments ... :o
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

rcs1000 said:

"Because I don't agree with Adolf Hitler"
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Ishmael_Z said:

If whoever thought of that also thought of the Corbyn IRA video, a dukedom is in order.

It does illustrate what a load of bollocks Corbyn's claim is.
  • Options

I don't think my mum will want her address published online! We live in Watford. That's all I say.
  • Options
    alex. said:

O/T - how does Labour's "National Care Service" compare to SNP's policy of free personal care for the elderly (in scope and cost)? And is it not possible to look at the cost in Scotland to ridicule the Labour estimate of £3billion in the rest of the country.

On a related note - has anyone estimated the effect of Labour's policies on the Barnett formula? If Labour are proposing to shift the cost of many services from individuals to the state, will this not feed through into Barnett consequentials? eg. Tuition fees which at the moment Scotland have to pay for themselves because isn't something that the Government fund in England.

It seems to me you must surely have a valid point. Nat/Lab coalition clearly on the cards.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:
    That's an advertisement for Banana Republic isn't it. I suspect that that have Blackberry holsters hidden out of sight.
  • Options
    I'm not in any way the target of the message, and I know Labour remains more popular among BAME voters than other options, but I feel like the phrasing of only them being 'trusted' to unlock potential could be better.
  • Options

They don't like it up 'em.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,406
    Is there a particular dress code that the Tories prescribe?
  • Options
    Tbf I don't blame her not trusting John 'I'm a Marxist' McDonnell. Most Labour MPs would never go down any extreme economic plan but McDonnell.....
  • Options

Personally I think all MPs at least should adhere to a specific dress code, with coloured sashes for party affiliation, so we always know who they are. I was thinking white Togas.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes, even after the Dementia Tax.
    Perhaps caricaturing a Conservative policy as "the bedroom tax" was not as clever and funny as it first appeared.
  • Options

I go for the refined elegance look.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm not in any way the target of the message, and I know Labour remains more popular among BAME voters than other options, but I feel like the phrasing of only them being 'trusted' to unlock potential could be better.
    Yeah, I agree.

@Theuniondivvie LOL they were dressed almost identically! Really weird that.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yeah, I agree.

@Theuniondivvie LOL they were dressed almost identically! Really weird that.
    That is why they took the photo, according to lower down the feed.
    https://twitter.com/JamesCleverly/status/869571260279398402
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

I don't think my mum will want her address published online! We live in Watford. That's all I say.
    Toby says your a liar liar

http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-protest-song-liar-liar-hits-no-1-on-itunes-10898670
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The other (and vastly superior) JC, henceforth to be known as the Duke of Extremely Cleverly.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    This is why the Labour vote is where it is. It's not all because of Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/869655227133288449
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,406
    kle4 said:

Personally I think all MPs at least should adhere to a specific dress code, with coloured sashes for party affiliation, so we always know who they are. I was thinking white Togas.
    String vests underneath for Labour, and commando for Nats.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @bigjohnowls Have no idea who this Toby is, but I'm sorry to hear that he thinks that.

Hopefully post-election McDonnell will go, and they'll get someone trustworthy as Shadow Chancellor.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tbf I don't blame her not trusting John 'I'm a Marxist' McDonnell. Most Labour MPs would never go down any extreme economic plan but McDonnell.....

Fear not. Jezza is a great believer in the restorative and contemplative value of gardening. He wants gardening for the many not the few.
  • Options

@bigjohnowls Have no idea who this Toby is, but I'm sorry to hear that he thinks that.

He's the MP Ed M (allegedly) stood on a box to avoid being towered over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977991/What-tall-story-Labour-forced-deny-claims-Miliband-stood-box-pictured-6ft-6in-MP.html

2015 - it was a more innocent time.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Tories will have a BAME PM within four years of me becoming an MP.

Just saying :lol:
    This I can happily agree with. Who are you planning to nominate?
    :-)
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    They should put one out with Diane Abbott waiting for Corbyn to unlock her potential.
  • Options

Prodicus said:

YouGov tonight? Time?

Tomorrow night.
    Aw shucks.

Thanks.

• Options
    BigIan said:

They should put one out with Diane Abbott waiting for Corbyn to unlock her potential.

Clearly it takes longer with some than others. 34 Years and counting.
  • Options

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxN1STgQXW8

You really have gone full-on Corbynista, haven't you?
  • Options

Fear not. Jezza is a great believer in the restorative and contemplative value of gardening. He wants gardening for the many not the few.
    My mum and grandad are already lovers of gardening.

Don't think I'll ever be into it, though.

When I think of gardening, I think of two things:

(a. Gardners World
    (b. Alan Titchmarsh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BigIan said:

Clearly it takes longer with some than others. 34 Years and counting.
    Perhaps that is why she keeps changing her hair, one day the right do will unlock her potential.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Might be no.1 on iTunes but still nowhere on Apple Music and Spotify where it matters.
  • Options
    Just as May and Thatcher were the wrong kind of women to be the first two female PM's, if the Tories do get the first BAME PM I'm sure they will also be the wrong kind of BAME.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2977991/What-tall-story-Labour-forced-deny-claims-Miliband-stood-box-pictured-6ft-6in-MP.html

I voted for Ed M 'reluctantly' back then. I'd vote for him wholeheartedly now.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:
    I think my scan reading is letting me down. I read that as "Hunt bad. Will damage NHS".

A bit stilted for a headline, but I've seen worse.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Just as May and Thatcher were the wrong kind of women to be the first two female PM's, if the Tories do get the first BAME PM I'm sure they will also be the wrong kind of BAME.

Somebody once said I was the wrong kind of BAME because I had been privately educated and grew up in a nice part of the country, rather than on a council estate.
  • Options

My mum and grandad are already lovers of gardening.

Don't think I'll ever be into it, though.

When I think of gardening, I think of two things:

(a. Gardners World
    (b. Alan Titchmarsh.
    I think of one thing: getting such a boring chore done. I do hate gardening so very, very much.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I voted for Ed M 'reluctantly' back then. I'd vote for him wholeheartedly now.
    He doesn't deserve Corbyn to outperform him. I was relaxed about him being PM, which I thought would happen.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Somebody once said I was the wrong kind of BAME because I had been privately educated and grew up in a nice part of the country, rather than on a council estate.
    Know your place, TSE.
  • Options

htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxN1STgQXW8

Might be no.1 on iTunes but still nowhere on Apple Music and Spotify where it matters.
    Also lacking in any sort of satirical bite at all. This is how you do it (if you want 4.3m views and rising)

https://order-order.com/2017/05/27/corbyn-ira-attack-ad-hits-1-million-views/
This discussion has been closed.