Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to the Labour party, stop sending Diane Abbott to do inte

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    bobajobPB said:

Labour have had a bad weekend. The IRA stuff has been badly handled, despite the fact they knew it was coming. No change in my forecast: Tory majority of 95.

Looks like a very good forecast to me.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    Pulpstar said:

marke09 said:

Have we ever seen Mrs Corbyn? I wonder if she turns up to The One Show with him on Tuesday

No, she wants to stay completely out of the game - and that is fair enough to my mind.
    Tuesday on the egregious one show sofa? Oh I know they all do it but I am glad I will be winging away on my holidays.
    Postal vote not arrived BTW - but I live where they weigh the tory vote. Still I wonder of the lefties in the council know its half term here and tories will be winging away this week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Was the last GE apparently quite so age polarised ?

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/868896505800908802
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Pulpstar said:

I find it really bizarre that Lab are so popular with the young and Con so popular with the old. The general trend I get, but to such extremes, it is incredible. Seriously, less than 15% of 18-24 yr olds support Tories? Fewer than 20% over 65s Labour? Christ.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    TMA1 said:

Are they real on the bottom left.
    (OK I am indeed ashamed of myself)
    ? I don't understand how a woman's chest can "make the semis". I feel I must be lacking info.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I think those figures are a big exaggeration. It'll be interesting to see the usual MORI analysis of how different groups voted after the election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Pulpstar said:

In a nutshell, why Labour will get stuffed. Tories ahead with everybody over, say, 40.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

bobajobPB said:

Labour have had a bad weekend. The IRA stuff has been badly handled, despite the fact they knew it was coming. No change in my forecast: Tory majority of 95.

AndyJS said:

bobajobPB said:

Thanks, but early days. DYOR, obviously.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I find it really bizarre that Lab are so popular with the young and Con so popular with the old. The general trend I get, but to such extremes, it is incredible. Seriously, less than 15% of 18-24 yr olds support Tories? Fewer than 20% over 65s Labour? Christ.
    Pulpstar said:

It really is not good for the country. Not sure what can be done about it, other than an incoming Tory Govt adversely affecting its core vote...look how well that has gone so far.
  • Options
    "Matthew Goodwin‏ @GoodwinMJ

Average - last 7polls/post-Manchester

Con 44.4
    Lab 35.6
    LD 7.8
    Ukip 4.6

Con lead 8.8 <- wd be highest since '87"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TMA1 said:
    Hwr hair was better then, and it was her own.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It really is not good for the country. Not sure what can be done about it, other than an incoming Tory Govt adversely affecting its core vote...look how well that has gone so far.
    The Tories have always done badly with 18-24 year olds. When they get older they start voting Conservative. At the 1974 elections the Tories came third behind the Liberals with the youngest age groups.
  • Options
    The generational split is worrying. Baby Boom vs Gen X and Millennials. Brexit divide again. It can't end well.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    bobajobPB said:

The generational split is worrying. Baby Boom vs Gen X and Millennials. Brexit divide again. It can't end well.

I don't think this is new.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    It's not Baby Boomers v Gen X v Millennials though. 18 to 24 is extremely different to 25 to 49 which are quite similar to 50 to 64. 65 plus is then very different again.

Basically the difference is between those young enough to have little real world experience of working, those old enough to have retired and those who are working are in the middle.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

The last Yougov before the election was called had 18-24s as 38 Lab 32 Con.

In fact strangely the percentage of this age group that says it will vote Conservative (before removing don't knows) has almost halved...

• Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    bobajobPB said:

It just confirms my view that once you reach 'a certain age' you shouldn't have a vote. we can debate what age that might be, I'll suggest 70 for starters. During the Brexit debate I spoke to several "old" people who were voting No because they didn't consider the (potentially negative as they saw it) outcome would affect them due to their age but they didn't like the Tories, Europe, etc.
  • Options
    Interesting article IMO:

"Burying Thatcher’s Legacy
    by Theodore Dalrymple"

http://www.libertylawsite.org/2017/05/23/burying-thatchers-legacy/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It's not Baby Boomers v Gen X v Millennials though. 18 to 24 is extremely different to 25 to 49 which are quite similar to 50 to 64. 65 plus is then very different again.

Basically the difference is between those young enough to have little real world experience of working, those old enough to have retired and those who are working are in the middle.

If the vote was restricted to those not collecting a pension, then Jezza would be in number 10.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

It just confirms my view that once you reach 'a certain age' you shouldn't have a vote. we can debate what age that might be, I'll suggest 70 for starters. During the Brexit debate I spoke to several "old" people who were voting No because they didn't consider the (potentially negative as they saw it) outcome would affect them due to their age but they didn't like the Tories, Europe, etc.
    You don't believe in the concept of wisdom? That older people might just have a better idea about life than younger people?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, here's a radical idea: Labour could try putting forward a potential leader who those over 40 don't think is a bat-shit crazy IRA-loving old Trot...?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In fact strangely the percentage of this age group that says it will vote Conservative (before removing don't knows) has almost halved...

Safe to say its wrong, or the young have really bought into that free tuition fees pledge.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    edited May 2017

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, here's a radical idea: Labour could try putting forward a potential leader who those over 40 don't think is a bat-shit crazy IRA-loving old Trot...?
    Ed Miliband? :smile:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

You don't believe in the concept of wisdom? That older people might just have a better idea about life than younger people?
    Wisdom is not only to be found in the elderly. People can be wise beyond their years, and some elderly fools.

I'm not advocating removing the vote from people at a certain age for all sorts of reasons though.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

I'll come and remind you of this post when you are 70.

Alternatively, we give the vote to people over 40 - you know, those who know something about how the world really works, and are not dumb enough to purchase the first moon on a stick they get offered....
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well come on, he's offering the triple lock and winter fuel allowance, what more do they want?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Safe to say its wrong, or the young have really bought into that free tuition fees pledge.
    Anyone over 21 isnt going to be happy that their 45k+ debts will remain but everyone from now on gets it for free. That is unless they don't know the details.
  • Options

If the vote was restricted to those not collecting a pension, then Jezza would be in number 10.
    And Corbyn would not qualify for election. Surely that would be the logic.

Its a funny kind of democracy that some lefties have. I suppose lefties could be generous and offer Euthanasia on the NHS.
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

How about we restrict suffrage to taxpayers? After all, they are the ones paying for everything.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

TMA1 said:

Are they real on the bottom left.
    (OK I am indeed ashamed of myself)
    ? I don't understand how a woman's chest can "make the semis". I feel I must be lacking info.
    I suppose it depends on the contest. But it at least does show there is one universe amongst the infinite number where we do agree on something.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

How about we restrict suffrage to taxpayers? After all, they are the ones paying for everything.
    And older people have built up the biggest back catalog of taxes so should have at least 2 votes.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Alternatively, we give the vote to people over 40 - you know, those who know something about how the world really works, and are not dumb enough to purchase the first moon on a stick they get offered....
    Rather than all this complex disenfranchising rich/poor/old/young/black people stuff, wouldn't it just be much simpler to introduce 1-man-1-vote? And I am that man....
  • Options

If the vote was restricted to those who work for a living or have earned worked long enough to earn a pension then Jezza would be further away than ever.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

RobD said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

And older people have built up the biggest back catalog of taxes so should have at least 2 votes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Wet
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's a polling error. The age range is pretty slender, plenty of room for getting the maths wrong.

I would say Labour leads 60% to 30% in that age group, something like that.
  • Options

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Rather than all this complex disenfranchising rich/poor/old/young/black people stuff, wouldn't it just be much simpler to introduce 1-man-1-vote? And I am that man....
    Yes but I am holding your vote.

I think the ignorant young should sell their votes to the wealthy toffs to fund their drinking, sorry, tuition fees
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options

TMA1 said:

RobD said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Thank you. Its not a Nevil Shute I was aware of. I know about On the Beach but I did not have him for something slightly Orwellian.

I could handle 7 votes. I think. It might require PR though...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008
    bobajobPB said:

The word "semi" has two meanings here.

* "semi" being shorthand for the "Britain's Got Talent" semifinal, at which Amanda will be a judge
    * "semi" being slang for a nearly-but-not-fully-erect penis.

By conflating the two meanings, the Sun can smuggle in a rude observation.

• Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well come on, he's offering the triple lock and winter fuel allowance, what more do they want?
    Patriotism and sanity valued more than cheap bribes from the look of it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

bobajobPB said:

* "semi" being shorthand for the "Britain's Got Talent" semifinal, at which Amanda will be a judge

I'd have thought it was the double meaning of "nips" that was the issue here.
  • Options

viewcode said:

bobajobPB said:

Explain?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Whilst the tory fb ad's will firm up the Tory share, it will do nothiing to reverse the Labour surge as that has been driven by middle aged women who like Labour's policies.
    Tories actually have 3 of the top 5 most popular policies in their manifesto but know one knows about them. To win back some of these women and achieve a resut above par the tories must quickly bring some of these policies to the forefront.

NHS for example is seen as one of the top priority by voters but how many know the Tories plan to spen £8 billion on it? Very few.
  • Options

viewcode said:

bobajobPB said:

Spoil-sports should have left it as the Northern Ireland Police Service....
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    viewcode said:

More aroused than a "Kintyre Peninsula"?

• Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

No longer. When I was canvassing during the referendum I found older folk didn't care about their future but more about 'settling scores'. That opened my mind to the generational divide so, even though I am classed as a "senior citizen", I'd rather support those who will follow me rather than those of my age. Frankly, my experience suggests older people do not display much wisdom and I am happy to let younger people live and learn.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Tory-Torygraph-MI5 smears in the billionaire-owned media against Jeremy Corbyn are exceeding anything thrown at Michael Foot or Neil Kinnock. They are more vicious than any campaign by a major party since the Zinoviev letter. The Daily Mail has literally called Corbyn "the terrorists' friend".

Apparently he is "a shameless apologist for the world's men of evil" and he has been for decades. Doubtless he only needs to think of Daesh headchoppers and he jumps for joy, chanting "Trotsky and Kim Jong-Un forever!" Every time he hears of a terrorist attack in Britain he punches the air and says "Yeah!" and "Today nailbombs, tomorrow sarin, followed by nukes!"

And this is going to get worse. The front pages of the Sunday Times next Sunday and the Sun the following Tuesday and Wednesday will be classics. I won't be at all surprised if the Sun prints photos of wounded people at the Manchester Arena with a headline such as "Corbyn Praises ISIS Terror Attacks". Tories have no morals.

But there's a problem. First, if you live by the sword, you die by the sword. All it will take is two hits, perhaps even one hit, against a leading Tory cabinet minister (May or Johnson probably) and we could be on our way to a Labour landslide. You cannot "Sun-crap" all of the people all the time in every election. Especially when the Tories have got fuck-all in the way of any policies that many people in the country could actually be keen about. Brexit is a total yawn, and anyway, everyone knows the Tories don't have a clue what they're doing.

Second, they aren't going to get much support against Corbyn from pro-Trident creeps among Labour's parliamentary candidates. From Blair, maybe, or Mandelson. But who listens to them?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

viewcode said:

More aroused than a "Kintyre Peninsula"?

Horribly, I did not have to look that up...
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

TMA1 said:

RobD said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Thank you. Its not a Nevil Shute I was aware of. I know about On the Beach but I did not have him for something slightly Orwellian.

I could handle 7 votes. I think. It might require PR though...
    I was born in Belfast. Multiple votes are a birth right!

Talking of the Shiners... I always loved this one - the Northern Ireland branch of the electoral commision did a clear out of the electoral roll. Removing the dead etc. About 100K Shiner voters turned out to have existence problems. The Chuckle brothers went on TV, issued their usual snide threats - we-are-men-of-peace-but-people-we-don't-know-aren't etc..

The head of the electoral commission held a press conference where he gave out his office number and said that if anyone had been disenfranchised, he would personally fix the issue.

The sound of silence can be deafening.... Now *that* is courage.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Whilst the tory fb ad's will firm up the Tory share, it will do nothiing to reverse the Labour surge as that has been driven by middle aged women who like Labour's policies.
    Tories actually have 3 of the top 5 most popular policies in their manifesto but know one knows about them. To win back some of these women and achieve a resut above par the tories must quickly bring some of these policies to the forefront.

NHS for example is seen as one of the top priority by voters but how many know the Tories plan to spen £8 billion on it? Very few.

In 2015 they promised £8bn more per year. In 2017 they promise £8bn over five years. Labour promise £11.6bn more.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Above a certain age people tend to get stuck in their ways and lose touch with how the world is changing. Look at all the elderly still using cheque books for example. Experience of the world as it once was isn't much help in deciding how it should be in the future
  • Options
    @Cyan - MI5 smears? Come on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband? :smile:
    Like'
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

Tory-Torygraph-MI5 smears in the billionaire-owned media against Jeremy Corbyn are exceeding anything thrown at Michael Foot or Neil Kinnock. They are more vicious than any campaign by a major party since the Zinoviev letter. The Daily Mail has literally called Corbyn "the terrorists' friend".

Corbyn has literally called terrorists his friends so why should the Daily Mail not call him that?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Above a certain age people tend to get stuck in their ways and lose touch with how the world is changing. Look at all the elderly still using cheque books for example. Experience of the world as it once was isn't much help in deciding how it should be in the future
    Older people tend to have a better understanding of the meaning of debt.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

Older people tend to have a better understanding of the meaning of debt.
    They certainly understand unearned wealth given the generous pensions and house price inflation they've.benrfited from. Today's young facing tuition debts of £45k probably have better understanding of debt though.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902

AndyJS said:

Ally_B said:

bobajobPB said:

To put it a little more kindly, older people have built up a large repository of experience and tend to use this to guide to their actions, whereas younger people are better at thinking on their feet and can therefore quickly acclimatise to changing conditions. This, I guess, is why older people prefer parties who will maintain the status quo or even wind the clock back, while younger people will be happier to throw the dice in the air and react to whatever happens.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Cyan said:

Apparently he is "a shameless apologist for the world's men of evil" and he has been for decades. Doubtless he only needs to think of Daesh headchoppers and he jumps for joy, chanting "Trotsky and Kim Jong-Un forever!" Every time he hears of a terrorist attack in Britain he punches the air and says "Yeah!" and "Today nailbombs, tomorrow sarin, followed by nukes!"

And this is going to get worse. The front pages of the Sunday Times next Sunday and the Sun the following Tuesday and Wednesday will be classics. I won't be at all surprised if the Sun prints photos of wounded people at the Manchester Arena with a headline such as "Corbyn Praises ISIS Terror Attacks". Tories have no morals.

But there's a problem. First, if you live by the sword, you die by the sword. All it will take is two hits, perhaps even one hit, against a leading Tory cabinet minister (May or Johnson probably) and we could be on our way to a Labour landslide. You cannot "Sun-crap" all of the people all the time in every election. Especially when the Tories have got fuck-all in the way of any policies that many people in the country could actually be keen about. Brexit is a total yawn, and anyway, everyone knows the Tories don't have a clue what they're doing.

Second, they aren't going to get much support against Corbyn from pro-Trident creeps among Labour's parliamentary candidates. From Blair, maybe, or Mandelson. But who listens to them?

oh no we have a Corbynista amongst us predicting a Labour landslide lol
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Cyan said:

Corbyn has literally called terrorists his friends so why should the Daily Mail not call him that?
    Here's the thing , the British people are sensible enough not to elect a troskyite carrot munching vegan pacifist terrorist loving economically illiterate E grader :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

@Cyan - MI5 smears? Come on.

We have inflitration of the conspiracy Corbynista type.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    kjohnw said:

Cyan said:

Here's the thing , the British people are sensible enough not to elect a troskyite carrot munching vegan pacifist terrorist loving economically illiterate E grader :)
    Corbyn video closing on 2.5 million views, Abbott will beat a quarter of a million in a couple of hours....
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

I have a question. Does anybody know where I can find an archive of leader ratings? If it was polling intention I could get it from Wikipedia or Anthony Wells's site, but I don'y know where to look for leader ratings

Click through on the links here:

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/social-trends
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

nunu said:

In 2015 they promised £8bn more per year. In 2017 they promise £8bn over five years. Labour promise £11.6bn more.
    No the 2015 manifesto promised 8 billion per year by 2020, ie over 5 years. This was for NHS England and was what the head of NHS England said was required.

We have had 2 years of that and so its being extended by another 2 years. Charges for migrants are being tripled BTW

Its strange to think that in 2010 Gordon Brown said that the NHS now had all the funding it needed and could embark on a 20 billion efficiency drive.

Anyway I am changing my policy on PB dickheads so I am going out for a haircut tomorrow.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    This is very interesting and should be taken very seriously. I do think that, as with the Brexit and 2015 election, most commentary is driven by expectations rather than facts. The betting markets have been completely unreliable as a predictor because they simply reflect the sentiments of the engaged and a large element of group think is present.

I certainly find it very hard to believe that 38% of the British voters would vote for a total idiots such as Corbin, or that May could end up with NOM. But the facts are that, if the turnout modelling and expectations are wrong, this could well happen.

Remember, the assumptions about turnout effect in the EU referendum were completely wrong.
    Pong said:
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

This is the thing, Labour have got the worst of both worlds: They've got a leader hardly any of the high-turnout demographics will vote for, pushing a regressive manifesto that tilts the field even further against the young. It's basically the exact opposite of New Labour, which was designed to reassure centrist voters while achieving progressive outcomes bt stealth.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    HB JFK (100)
  • Options
    Pong said:
    Basically saying the polls are all over the place but there has been a trend toward labour, the differences are down to weighting, and the pollsters are really nervous as this was supposed to be a test drive election with an inevitable outcome they could test their new methods to fix the unrepresentative sample problem without getting the winner wrong, but the 5 pt lead in one poll complicates things again.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Tories should be working on the unlikely asumption Labour actually are on 38%. They probably aren't and there might not be a youth surge.....but there might be. With all the errors over the last few years in polling the Tories have to be conservative.
  • Options
    nunu said:

the Tories have to be conservative.

Boom boom!

Well, makes a nice change after Cameroons.....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pong said:
    Basically saying the polls are all over the place but there has been a trend toward labour, the differences are down to weighting, and the pollsters are really nervous as this was supposed to be a test drive election with an inevitable outcome they could test their new methods to fix the unrepresentative sample problem without getting the winner wrong, but the 5 pt lead in one poll complicates things again.
    As Martin Boon says:
    "Here’s a quick walk-through of changes that have been made to the Guardian/ICM poll since 2015: we’ve switched from phone to online data collection; doubled our sample size; introduced a range of new quotas and weights; radically overhauled our turnout modelling; and introduced a post-data adjustment, that reallocates people who we know nothing about politically.

It’s a pretty radical set of methods.

But there’s a catch; one which relates to that penultimate change. For were it not for the particularly strong turnout model employed, we too would be showing something very close to YouGov’s 5-pointer, rather than the 14-pointer we have."

So, it would seem, it's all down to the need for and accuracy of ICM's "particularly strong turnout model employed" If they've called this right then they'll truly have shown themselves as being the Gold Standard. If not ..... oh dearie me!
    No need for us mere mortals to attend a conference of academics like OGH, it's all reasonably clear, at least in outline, and to put in a nutshell, it's a fight to the death as I see things between YouGov and ICM. Well, maybe not quite that dramatic, but something fairly close.

In numerical terms, the difference between the two firms is a Tory Majority of 126 with the Blue team winning 388 seats from ICM and one of around 40 from YouGov, with the Tories winning just 345 seats.
    In fact the spread-betting firms' current quotes are very much closer to the ICM forecast with Tory seats remaining stubbornly just above the 380 level. Subject only to awaiting Survation's numbers which are due out later today, this has convinced me that now is probably around the time to cash in my remaining chips on my Tory sell position at 402, having closed half my bet early yesterday.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    One comment in Bagehot that struck me was on May's lack of business experience - who was the last PM who did? Baldwin? It's been professional politicians and lawyers in the main....
  • Options
    @peter_from_putney .. who do you think is correct, ICM or YouGov?

I hope it's the former... :D
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Rob -
    Until I read the piece by Martin Boon I really had no idea that ICM's methodology had changed so dramatically since the May 2015 GE. Doubtless other firms, incl YouGov, have changed too, but who will come out on top? If I were a betting man (ha ha), then I'd have to go with ICM. But in terms of the actual result on 8 June, there's still plenty of time for underlying public opinion to change significantly, even allowing for the fact that most of us 6 million+ postal voters have already made our decision.
    I've never known a previous General Election where it seems quite possible for the result to be one where the winning party will have a majority of anywhere between, say, 40 seats - 180 seats. Copping out, I suppose I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the middle of this range, i.e. a Tory majority of around 100 - 120 seats.
  • Options
    Oh well, it's time for me to go back to bed .... catch up with you folk again later.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

See this might damage Mrs May and the government

https://twitter.com/DJack_Journo/status/868939989928861698

ECHR innit ?

doesnt matter if it is or isnt who can prove it in 8 days ?
    Thank goodness Mrs May has said we're saying in the ECHR.
    she'll U turn
    Probably. She'll be coming out as a lesbian at this rate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

Rob -
    Until I read the piece by Martin Boon I really had no idea that ICM's methodology had changed so dramatically since the May 2015 GE. Doubtless other firms, incl YouGov, have changed too, but who will come out on top? If I were a betting man (ha ha), then I'd have to go with ICM. But in terms of the actual result on 8 June, there's still plenty of time for underlying public opinion to change significantly, even allowing for the fact that most of us 6 million+ postal voters have already made our decision.
    I've never known a previous General Election where it seems quite possible for the result to be one where the winning party will have a majority of anywhere between, say, 40 seats - 180 seats. Copping out, I suppose I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the middle of this range, i.e. a Tory majority of around 100 - 120 seats.
    The adjustments being made after pollsters have got their raw results are significant and untested, and must place a big question mark over their accuracy. The old practice of trying to get a balanced sample and then taking the results from this as representative, without mathematical manipulation, appears to have be been abandoned for UK VI. It is notable that in the French election (which on the face of it was more complicated) was polled with remarkable accuracy whereas in the UK the various pollsters are all over the place.

On postal votes, my guess is that about 10% of total votes have already been cast. Now there will be drips ans drabs coming back to ROs each day, there is always a last minute peak in postal returns and it is becoming increasingly common for people to take PVs down to the polling station and hand them in on the day. And of course something like 3% will be ruled incorrectly verified and about 15%-20% won't come back at all. All of these people continue to be polled normally, as far as I know.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited May 2017
    P.s. In particular some pollsters are making some pretty big calls, as it says downthread, about who will and won't vote, in some cases using demographic data to override individual responses to questions about interest and likelihood to vote. Typically this will, for example, down-weight young people in the poll. Yet, if there came along a candidate with an unusually strong appeal to younger voters, this obviously makes such historically-derived adjustments immediately inaccurate? People who say they are keen and definite to vote are assumed to be lying.
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IanB2 said:

P.s. In particular some pollsters are making some pretty big calls, as it says downthread, about who will and won't vote, in some cases using demographic data to override individual responses to questions about interest and likelihood to vote. Typically this will, for example, down-weight young people in the poll. Yet, if there came along a candidate with an unusually strong appeal to younger voters, this obviously makes such historically-derived adjustments immediately inaccurate? People who say they are keen and definite to vote are assumed to be lying.

I think a lot more young voters will vote this time round, even tho abolition of tuition fees won't happen as Labour cannot win with Corbyn Abbott and McDonnell. Its like asking sensible voters to eat a sarni with their three most disliked fillings all in the same sarni.. .
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

The speed controls on YouTube are very useful when you've only got 2 minutes to watch a 4 minute video.

@scrapheap_as_was will be delighted to hear that. No longer does he have to spend 10 hours watching the 2015 election coverage.. he can watch it all at 100x speed :D
    Hoorar!
This discussion has been closed.