Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A prolonged suspension of the campaign at this critical stage

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

OK to talk about Trump? Good.

This one's for people betting on whether he'll survive to the end of his first term. It's long, so I'll tell you the short answer is 'probably not'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2O9MY-krUI

Personally I don't think he will be impeached, but I'm still taking the evens about him going early.

In today's climate I think Trump is what Americanjs want even with all his baggage, his Muslim immigration ban was far more popular in the rustbelt than the liberal elite would care to admit, impeaching him over sharing information with Putin about ISIS won't wash
    It's a question of if/when he loses the Republican base, isn't it? 538 indicates his popularity rating has flattened out at 39%. That's dangerously low, I would have thought, but not necessarily terminal.

I suspect we're in one of those paradoxical situations where the GOP would like to see him gone, but the Dems want him to hang around, at least until the mid-terms.
    If Trump is impeached before he's alienated the majority of Republican support, then there will surely be a tremendous backlash from Republican voters against what they will see as a Washington conspiracy against their standard bearer.
    It's a bit of a statistical paradox though as people increasing identify IND rather than GOP, when they tire of Trumpton's rank incompetency. So his approvals among the GOP base are something of a mathematical mirage.
    I expect Trump's approval ratings to rise after his Middle East tour and his 'loser' comment about the Manchester bomber, he is presenting the tough face to Islamic terrorism Obama never really did
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Via Twitter, buildings in Salford University are apparently being evacuated due to a suspicious package.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A bit OTT from the BBC tonight. I want to hear about Roger Moore necking with Fiona Fullerton.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Colin Forth seeking Italian citizenship over Brexit 'disaster'

Genuine question. Who he?
    The joys of predictive text but his wife is Italian I believe
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225

HYUFD said:

Mamma Mia!
    Best news this year was this.

Just in time for the tenth anniversary of the Mamma Mia! movie, Universal Pictures is getting a sequel together. And it’s all going to happen rather quickly.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! is going to dig further back into the Abba songbook, and reprise a few songs from the original movie. This time, though, there’s no hit stage musical to base it all on, and thus Ol Parker – who penned The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – has been hired to put a new screenplay together.

The core cast from Mamma Mia! – Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper and Stellan Skarsgard – are all expected back. It’s unclear as of yet whether Phyllida Lloyd will return to direct, though.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/mamma-mia/49613/mamma-mia-2-on-the-way-to-be-released-next-year
    The 'hit musical' was either a rip off or formally based on the film Bona Sierra Mrs Robinson.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    SeanT said:

My word - the Jeremy Corbyn Facebook page. That is quite something.

"Another false flag attack.
    How convenient for Theresa May and her Zionist overlords (who most likely instigated it..)"

Mad, bilious, surreal, nasty and comically anti-Semitic, all at once.

I was about the post that people will be using the "false flag" reasoning soon, some people cannot accept the world as it is and want it to be a bad novel.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

Regular patron of the Lebanese on the corner of Garway road and Westbourne Grove I believe
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    TMA1 said:

HYUFD said:

Mamma Mia!

Just in time for the tenth anniversary of the Mamma Mia! movie, Universal Pictures is getting a sequel together. And it’s all going to happen rather quickly.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! is going to dig further back into the Abba songbook, and reprise a few songs from the original movie. This time, though, there’s no hit stage musical to base it all on, and thus Ol Parker – who penned The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel – has been hired to put a new screenplay together.

The core cast from Mamma Mia! – Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper and Stellan Skarsgard – are all expected back. It’s unclear as of yet whether Phyllida Lloyd will return to direct, though.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/mamma-mia/49613/mamma-mia-2-on-the-way-to-be-released-next-year
    The 'hit musical' was either a rip off or formally based on the film Bona Sierra Mrs Robinson.
    Lots of great pieces of entertainment are rip offs.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

HYUFD said:

Mamma Mia!

Hit a button too soon as I was about to check out the name of the film and its Mrs Campbell. Plus my italian is crap. Something which could not apply to Ms Gina Lollobrigida
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Regular patron of the Lebanese on the corner of Garway road and Westbourne Grove I believe
    Get you.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited May 2017
    One of the serious questions requiring a debate when the Election kicks off again is the success and future of the Prevent Strategy.

We have polarised opinions which need to be examined in front of the public.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited May 2017

isam said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

Killer was second generation Libyan.

Not Commonwealth then...
    Every cloud eh?
    Just pointing out that you were wrong.
    I think I've been pretty consistent for about 6 years in saying immigration of Muslims has been an absolute disaster for the uk and would lead to more and more terrorism. If that's wrong I don't wanna be right
    Youblamed commonwealth immigration earlier.
    I didn't actually, I said Enoch Powell made a speech saying commonwealth immigration would lead to civil strife, which it has. Overall I have consistently criticised Islamic immigration, but if you want to split hairs, this Islamic extremist who has killed lots of kids was a British citizen whose parents came from somewhere else

Phew
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    kle4 said:

I do like this quote from the Hatwal piece

The two factor model on which these findings are based for England and Wales is rudimentary and mechanical (agricultural even). But then, so is what is happening to the Labour party.

One way to acknowledge any accusation the model is a bit crude.

Reminds me of my old tutor who delighted in describing someone's essay as "workmanlike".
  • Options
    I see the Labour Uncut piece weighs in with predictions of tactical voting in Scotland, and despite the campaigning posted on here occasionally, reckons East Ren Tories will opt en masse for Lab.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    What utter bollocks. Let's allow our foot soldiers to resume fighting, but keep Corbyn out of the spotlight lest anyone highlight his affinity for terrorist groups.

What a moral sewer the Labour Party is.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    HYUFD said:

Go forth, Colin.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

SeanT said:

How convenient for Theresa May and her Zionist overlords (who most likely instigated it..)"

I was about the post that people will be using the "false flag" reasoning soon, some people cannot accept the world as it is and want it to be a bad novel.
    Conspiracy theorists (of the raving rather than merely sceptical variety) tend to have a very deep and abiding faith in the efficiency and effectiveness of government, oddly enough, in order to so spectacularly and successively implement their schemes.
  • Options

Via Twitter, buildings in Salford University are apparently being evacuated due to a suspicious package.

Salford University majors on attracting Middle East students. I remember being taught by an Iraqi lecturer (nice bloke!) at exactly the same time as Saddams tanks were trundling into Kuwait. I do wonder sometimes if he ever went back. Hope not.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2017
    No idea how significant in the context of normal GE numbers and given this don't auto register..

A record-breaking 250,000 young people signed up to vote yesterday after Labour promised an expensive election giveaway to students.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4534290/Record-250-000-young-people-register-vote-24-hours.html

Big believer one significant driver of recent labour poll numbers is students / free uni policy.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

I'm not much of a churchgoer these days, but the Archbishop of Canterbury's response to this atrocity is pathetic. Take a look at his Twitter account.
    @JustinWelby
    One prayer (not his), one 'isn't Manchester strong' and one 'religions unite' and nothing about the victims.
    Members of the CofE look to this man for leadership at a time like this, and he's absent.

Blessed are the peacemakers.
    Especially the ones made by Colt.

• Options
    Dash - even the pessimistic Uncut report still has Labour retaining the Hull seats I need for a big payoff. I'd trade 10 seats each to labour if there was a bigger than expected swing in those ones.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

No idea how significant in the context of normal GE numbers and given this don't auto register..

A record-breaking 250,000 young people signed up to vote yesterday after Labour promised an expensive election giveaway to students.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4534290/Record-250-000-young-people-register-vote-24-hours.html

Five million people applied to the register during the run up to the 2015 GE, which resulted in about 1.4 million extra registrations (the remainder being either rejected or leading to balancing deletions as people moved home). The 2017 total looks to be about half that level - unsurprisingly given its only a year since the last national excuse to sign up, whereas in 2015 it had been a whole five years.
  • Options

Big believer one significant driver of recent labour poll numbers is students / free uni policy.

One of the more blatant electioneering stunt announcements- while I would be very happy if more young people voted for once, I would hope that unbelievable promise doesn't sway things too much.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

What utter bollocks. Let's allow our foot soldiers to resume fighting, but keep Corbyn out of the spotlight lest anyone highlight his affinity for terrorist groups.

That's unfair. I abhor Corbyn, but i am pretty sure he would like to be out campaigning, and will do it as soon as he is allowed.

Remember: he believes he is morally in the right. He has no sense of shame or regret for any of his views, so he would refuse any idea of being "hidden away". You can challenge his opinions, maybe his moral sanity, but he is sincere.
    I'm sure it's not Corbyn's decision, but that of his minders, including Milne.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    If anyone wants some light relief, search Tom Dumoulin on twitter. Blasted his guts out to get up the hills today xD
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Wouldn't it be hilarious if half of those student turned out to vote Tory.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

That's unfair. I abhor Corbyn, but i am pretty sure he would like to be out campaigning, and will do it as soon as he is allowed.

Remember: he believes he is morally in the right. He has no sense of shame or regret for any of his views, so he would refuse any idea of being "hidden away". You can challenge his opinions, maybe his moral sanity, but he is sincere.
    If Corbyn awoke one morning and called for the immediate return of capital punishment for a wide range of offences and a total halt to all third world immigration, he'd win. Luckily he's sincere.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dash - even the pessimistic Uncut report still has Labour retaining the Hull seats I need for a big payoff. I'd trade 10 seats each to labour if there was a bigger than expected swing in those ones.

Corbyn had a big rally in Hull yesterday with Prescott an no Hull seat is in even the top 150 Tory target seats, Labour should hold on there
    http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn-gets-rock-star-reception-as-thousands-flock-to-labour-rally-in-hull-city-centre/story-30347457-detail/story.html
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Trump is correct evil losers makes more sense than cowards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Corbyn had a big rally in Hull yesterday with Prescott an no Hull seat is in even the top 150 Tory target seats, Labour should hold on there
    http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn-gets-rock-star-reception-as-thousands-flock-to-labour-rally-in-hull-city-centre/story-30347457-detail/story.html
    Oh I always thought they'd win - it's just the odds were 66/1 and I'd put the Tories chance as better than that, and definitely worth a shot.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    In the top trumps of who can respond worse to the Manchester attacks, I'm throwing Alex Jones into the ring to join the FB Corbynistas and the Vicechair of Labour Stroud

https://twitter.com/mediagazer/status/867059949859463170
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,961
    kle4 said:

One of the more blatant electioneering stunt announcements- while I would be very happy if more young people voted for once, I would hope that unbelievable promise doesn't sway things too much.
    Bear in mind you can register to vote at the age of 16. My 16 year old daughter did it a couple of days ago. Doesn't mean you are actually able to vote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Oh I always thought they'd win - it's just the odds were 66/1 and I'd put the Tories chance as better than that, and definitely worth a shot.
    It is worth a small stake on a very long shot punt I suppose, especially if all the Labour voters in Hull were at his rally
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Yesterday should be remembered as the day Corbyn was defending Hull while May was invading Wrexham. But, alas, it won't be.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes, it does. The first really sensible thing I've heard him say, for a long time. Maybe ever.
    Whatever you think of Trump he says what Middle America thinks in a way the more cerebral Obama never could
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It is worth a small stake on a very long shot punt I suppose, especially if all the Labour voters in Hull were at his rally
    Only a fiver on each - I could get every other bet wrong, and if even one Hull seat comes through I make a profit, given the small stakes I'm playing for. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

One thing I found curious about this announcement was the total lack of scrutiny from either the Tories or the media. As you say, one of the most naked electoral bribes I can ever remember, coming in at an eye watering 10 billion quid a year. As I mentioned earlier, the scrutiny of Labour's manifesto (and Mr Corbyn) has been woefully lacking because nobody took it seriously. That cannot be allowed to continue.

We all know the voting history of 18-24 year olds, so the Tories needn't worry too much, I feel. They didn't even turn out for the EU referendum in any great number, and I expect the same at this election.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Yesterday should be remembered as the day Corbyn was defending Hull while May was invading Wrexham. But, alas, it won't be.
    Indeed though Wrexham should go blue
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    MattW said:

One of the serious questions requiring a debate when the Election kicks off again is the success and future of the Prevent Strategy.

The gov't should fund a public support organisation to assist Muslims (or indeed Christians, Sikhs etc) to renounce their faith without the threat of violence. Something like AA or Crisis. It would say, 'We are an enlightened country where it's OK to change your mind about what you believe'. There will be a great many Muslims in the UK who don't believe in flying horses etc but can't say so for fear of death etc. By not addressing the violence surrounding apostasy, the gov't tacitly supports it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Is it not the point that Corbyn is holding rallies in the safest labour seats in the country?
    As long as he only meets people who can't add up then I suppose he is safe.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

Yes, it does. The first really sensible thing I've heard him say, for a long time. Maybe ever.
    Just high school rhetoric from Trump. The best way to put off suicide attackers is to let them understand that their families will pay a bitter price in the event of any matyrdom operation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Only a fiver on each - I could get every other bet wrong, and if even one Hull seat comes through I make a profit, given the small stakes I'm playing for. Here's hoping!
    Certainly having a punt on some working class Labour Leave seats going blue is worthwhile, outside the centres of the biggest cities nowhere is absolutely safe for Corbyn Labour
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

Just high school rhetoric from Trump. The best way to put off suicide attackers is to let them understand that their families will pay a bitter price in the event of any matyrdom operation.
    What if they have no family?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    SeanT said:

You can donate to help families of Manchester attack victims here:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/westandtogethermanchester

That started this morning aiming to raise £50,000.... Now 10 times that and still increasing..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,431
    MattW said:

It is quite possible that we have one of the more successful security/prevention structures in Europe to deal with Islamoloosers - certainly the combined result is better than France or Belgium.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Jason said:

Remember 2/3rds of voter registrations are just change of addresses / resubmissions. Then consider that not all of them are going to be Labour and not all of them are going to vote. I don't see it swinging many seats.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Theresa May's interview with Andrew Neil revealed the fact that she is a complete lightweight in terms of being able to think on her feet. The Tory Party would never have selected her as leader had there been a contest. She repeats stock phrases in a vacant manner. Andrew Neil may be a Tory but he made her look very foolish.

I have just watched the interview with Neil, May makes Trump look like a thinker!
    No wonder the May supporters on here are attacking Jeremy Corbyn, at least he can answer questions in a lucid manner.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480

In the top trumps of who can respond worse to the Manchester attacks, I'm throwing Alex Jones into the ring to join the FB Corbynistas and the Vicechair of Labour Stroud

Alex Jones is a knob, always has been,

He said the Sandy Hook massacre was faked.

But I see your Alex Jones and raise you a Geraldo Rivera

https://twitter.com/GeraldoRivera/status/866804168106921984

https://twitter.com/BenGartside/status/866826096746127360
    https://twitter.com/BenGartside/status/866827479163568128
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,431
    Disraeli said:

I'm not much of a churchgoer these days, but the Archbishop of Canterbury's response to this atrocity is pathetic. Take a look at his Twitter account.
    @JustinWelby
    One prayer (not his), one 'isn't Manchester strong' and one 'religions unite' and nothing about the victims.
    Members of the CofE look to this man for leadership at a time like this, and he's absent.

Blessed are the peacemakers.
    Especially the ones made by Colt.

I prefer to use Reason {Snow Crash fan}
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

What if they have no family?
    The security services can be tasked to keep a close eye on all Islamic radicals in the UK without families. There might be a couple of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'll call

"Three people were arrested overnight in connection with the Westminster terror attack, which killed five people.

Metropolitan Police arrested both a man, 35, in West Didsbury and a woman, 32, in the Manchester area"

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/24/two-arrested-in-manchester-in-connection-with-london-terror-attack-6532052/#ixzz4hvV1ZfUX
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Theresa May's interview with Andrew Neil revealed the fact that she is a complete lightweight in terms of being able to think on her feet. The Tory Party would never have selected her as leader had there been a contest. She repeats stock phrases in a vacant manner. Andrew Neil may be a Tory but he made her look very foolish.

I have just watched the interview with Neil, May makes Trump look like a thinker!
    No wonder the May supporters on here are attacking Jeremy Corbyn, at least he can answer questions in a lucid manner.

She's mastered the art of not actually answering any question in an interview. Takes some skill ;)
  • Options
    Consider this nightmare scenario.

Imagine if a group of these psychos got hold of some fissile material - highly unlikely, not even probable, but a tiny possibility in a globalised world.

A dirty atomic weapon, however crude, detonated in the centre of London, Paris, Berlin, etc, would probably bring down our entire system overnight. It would crash every stock market in the world, trillions of pounds would disappear in an instant, and all of our stocks, shares, pension funds, etc, would be wiped out.

We could potentially end up going back a hundred years, at least in the short term. It's a horrifying thought, but let's not kid ourselves about this - if they could make this happen, they would.
  • Options
    RobD said:

She's mastered the art of not actually answering any question in an interview. Takes some skill ;)
    Mastering it requires that you not answer, but in a way that comes across as though you have answered. Journeyman at best, still much to learn.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Jason said:

kle4 said:

One thing I found curious about this announcement was the total lack of scrutiny from either the Tories or the media. As you say, one of the most naked electoral bribes I can ever remember, coming in at an eye watering 10 billion quid a year. As I mentioned earlier, the scrutiny of Labour's manifesto (and Mr Corbyn) has been woefully lacking because nobody took it seriously. That cannot be allowed to continue.

We all know the voting history of 18-24 year olds, so the Tories needn't worry too much, I feel. They didn't even turn out for the EU referendum in any great number, and I expect the same at this election.
    and what about their parents ?

you dont think they are monstrously pissed off seeing their children drowning in a sea of debt before their lives have even started.

and all served up by a bunch of privileged Oxbridge brats for whom fees are loose change
  • Options
    RobD said:

I watched the interview, it was fine.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I watched the interview, it was fine.
    Yeah, considering how bad it could have been. May emerged relatively unscathed.
  • Options
    isam said:

I'll call

"Three people were arrested overnight in connection with the Westminster terror attack, which killed five people.

Metropolitan Police arrested both a man, 35, in West Didsbury and a woman, 32, in the Manchester area"

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/24/two-arrested-in-manchester-in-connection-with-london-terror-attack-6532052/#ixzz4hvV1ZfUX
    And then I raise you this

All 12 terror raid arrests over Westminster attack released without charge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/01/12-terror-raid-arrests-westminster-attack-released-without-charge/
  • Options

Jason said:

kle4 said:

you dont think they are monstrously pissed off seeing their children drowning in a sea of debt before their lives have even started.

and all served up by a bunch of privileged Oxbridge brats for whom fees are loose change
    Probably are, but is the anger so bad they would, on that issue, vote for it even though it is (at least to my mind) unaffordable and unrealistic?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

There was a contest.
  • Options
    Blimey. Listening to the London News, £70 per week doesn't get you much in Brent :D

26 people in a 4 bed semi !
  • Options

Jason said:

kle4 said:

Isn't £10bn a year equivalent to almost 2p per year on income tax? You could easily work out how much this would cost to the average taxpayer. Probably not appealing to those that are repaying their debt, have repaid their debt, or never went to university.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

isam said:

I'll call

And then I raise you this

All 12 terror raid arrests over Westminster attack released without charge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/01/12-terror-raid-arrests-westminster-attack-released-without-charge/

I'll go all in!

The tweet you quoted mocked someone for saying there had been arrests in Manchester... there had.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,277

Theresa May's interview with Andrew Neil revealed the fact that she is a complete lightweight in terms of being able to think on her feet. The Tory Party would never have selected her as leader had there been a contest.

There were no fewer than five candidates in the Conservative leadership election. She beat them all easily.

Regarding Roger Moore, my favourite moment was when he was hosting HIGNFY and Hislop commented that it was amusing a Bond actor had such a name (given the franchise is famous for its risqué names).

Completely deadpan, Moore turned to him and replied, 'Thank you Ian. I'd never actually thought about that until now.'
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

Isn't £10bn a year equivalent to almost 2p per year on income tax? You could easily work out how much this would cost to the average taxpayer. Probably not appealing to those that are repaying their debt, have repaid their debt, or never went to university.
    I want a student loan refund if Corbyn gets in.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

Probably are, but is the anger so bad they would, on that issue, vote for it even though it is (at least to my mind) unaffordable and unrealistic?
    it's not unaffordable.

we could slash the DFID budget and have free education.

it's a matter of choice.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Jason said:

kle4 said:

They don't want to give an obvious bribe the oxygen of publicity... instead concentrate on the overall sums not adding up. Don't want to increase awareness among benefiting students, do we?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

MattW said:

It is quite possible that we have one of the more successful security/prevention structures in Europe to deal with Islamoloosers - certainly the combined result is better than France or Belgium.
    Possible, yes but at present we do not have to cope with the no-go areas that the authorities in France and Belgium have to. However, give it time and the UK's policy of accepting voluntary apartheid will reap its own rewards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey. Listening to the London News, £70 per week doesn't get you much in Brent :D

How did you think they manage to work for £4 an hour?!

Those idle British families w 2.4 kids should move into one room of a 4 bed to compete
  • Options
    Jason said:

Imagine if a group of these psychos got hold of some fissile material - highly unlikely, not even probable, but a tiny possibility in a globalised world.

A dirty atomic weapon, however crude, detonated in the centre of London, Paris, Berlin, etc, would probably bring down our entire system overnight. It would crash every stock market in the world, trillions of pounds would disappear in an instant, and all of our stocks, shares, pension funds, etc, would be wiped out.

We could potentially end up going back a hundred years, at least in the short term. It's a horrifying thought, but let's not kid ourselves about this - if they could make this happen, they would.

No they fucking wouldn't.

Places like the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange all have off site back ups well away from London to stop the nightmare scenario you're fantasising about.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes, nothing is strictly speaking unaffordable - but listen to people bleat about paying for anything, but also anything getting taken away if they aren't willing to pay for it. If it was politically so appealing to have it be free and cut other stuff, we'd never have gone down this route in the first place as no one likes the fees, so it must be more complicated and, in general, people must have accepted the principle of some fees.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

I want a student loan refund if Corbyn gets in.
    Yes, and I want all of the income tax I've ever paid refunded, all of the fuel duty I've ever paid back, and the sum total of the council tax I have paid. Plus, all the TV licence fee money as well. I want all those sweeties back please, Mr Corbyn. I don't care if it bankrupts the wider economy. Jam for me, lemon for everyone else, right?

Right.
  • Options
    Jason said:

There may be big hits on investments but we would certainly not go back a hundred years, modern technology is not going to be uninvented and businesses outside the area most hit would press on
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Jason said:

Fissile material is not exactly safe to handle. Even if they managed to get sufficient quantities of it they would likely all suffer radiation burns whilst constructing their bomb.

Also the markets would not be wiped out. Any large company will have backup systems in place that can changeover quite quickly and usually in a location away from the primary systems. I should know, I have helped manage enough of them.

Disaster Planning on that scale is part of corporate due diligence. Back in 1998/99 we often used the backup systems for Year 2000 testing in certain scenarios.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Jason said:

Remember 2/3rds of voter registrations are just change of addresses / resubmissions. Then consider that not all of them are going to be Labour and not all of them are going to vote. I don't see it swinging many seats.
    ...and, most student areas are already Labour so it is piling votes up in areas that already won. I'm pretty confident that they are pulling in all the student types that the Lib Dems and Greens used to get.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

the scheme is unworkable

the poor sods who currently pay a tax for going to Uni will get mugged a second time round when they hit their fifties and all the unrecovered debt will have to be paid off via the tax system

David Willetts should be appointed our ambassador in Raqqa
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,629
    There is a comment down thread that caused me to swear out loud, with my venom directed towards the poster. This is a first.

I'm not going to say who it was.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    kle4 said:

HaroldO said:

SeanT said:

Conspiracy theorists (of the raving rather than merely sceptical variety) tend to have a very deep and abiding faith in the efficiency and effectiveness of government, oddly enough, in order to so spectacularly and successively implement their schemes.
    Reminds me of an excellent South Park episode about 9/11.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Jason said:

kle4 said:

They don't want to give an obvious bribe the oxygen of publicity... instead concentrate on the overall sums not adding up. Don't want to increase awareness among benefiting students, do we?
    It is a pretty outrageous attempt at bribery. However in fact the people that they're trying to bribe will have to pay these costs anyway in much higher taxes over the long term, and this cost will be spread to those that haven't had a university education. I hate the phrasing of "progressive" as applied to taxes, but this seems to rather fly in the face of logic for those that like to obsess about these things. The truth of the matter is that Labour are so dreadfully numerically incompetent that they can't even get bribery right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes, nothing is strictly speaking unaffordable - but listen to people bleat about paying for anything, but also anything getting taken away if they aren't willing to pay for it. If it was politically so appealing to have it be free and cut other stuff, we'd never have gone down this route in the first place as no one likes the fees, so it must be more complicated and, in general, people must have accepted the principle of some fees.
    No it isnt

its fairly straight forward we piss money up the wall so Cameron could play noblesse oblige with other peoples money.

we dont invest in our childrens future.
  • Options

Jason said:

No they fucking wouldn't.

Places like the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange all have off site back ups well away from London to stop the nightmare scenario you're fantasising about.
    No, no, no, I'm not talking about physically blowing up computer servers. Stock markets can crash without someone unplugging a machine.

And it's hardly a fucking fantasy, now is it?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Pulpstar said:

A regular occurrence in Brent.

22/01/16

' Dawn raid on rogue landlords finds 23 people living in one Wembley house '

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/dawn-raid-on-rogue-landlords-finds-23-people-living-in-one-wembley-house-1-4390706

10/07/16

' Seventeen young men were found packed inside a three-bedroomed house in north-west London when council officers raided the home.

A catalogue of shocking squalor was uncovered by police and enforcement officers during a swoop on the overcrowded property in Kingsbury.

Up to five people were discovered sleeping on filthy mattresses squashed inside tiny rooms with no hot water or heating throughout the house. '

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/17-young-men-found-cramped-inside-filthy-threebedroom-house-in-brent-a3292446.html

27/07/16

' Thirty-one migrants were found living in cramped conditions in a four bedroom house in north-west London.

Brent Council found 26 beds crammed into squalid conditions in the Wembley house, as well a bed in a rodent infested garden shack made from wood offcuts. '

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/thirtyone-migrants-crammed-into-four-bedroom-london-house-a3305391.html
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

calum said:

Pulpstar said:
    Don't know about his rUK insights, but Atwal is the guy who thought things weren't going to be quite so bad for SLab in 2015 due to some postal vote data (data=bollocks).
    East Ren for Blair !
    I dined with two voters in Edinburgh North & Leith last night who had voted Labour in 2015 and were now proposing to vote Conservative this time, as the party best placed to stop the SNP.

I'm not sure whether they're right but that's what they thought and if so Labour aren't going to get the results in Scotland that analysis would suggest.
    I think the anti-SNP and anti-Tory votes will pretty much cancel each other out at a National level, but may make a difference at a constituency level.

However, as you can tell from your dining companions, the efficiency of the Unionist tactical voting is going to be muted by confusion around who to vote for, with many folks relying on the 2015 result as the basis on where to target their vote or alternatively on SCON tsunami expectations.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    chestnut said:

Jason said:

...and, most student areas are already Labour so it is piling votes up in areas that already won. I'm pretty confident that they are pulling in all the student types that the Lib Dems and Greens used to get.
    Which, ironically, might help the Conservatives in Bath, Oxford West, Leeds NW and Kingston.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I cried when I saw the picture of the eight year old then thought did I cry for the innocent victims of our bombings in the middle east neither is right but we do need to think more deeply
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Crick is absolutely right. If we let the terrorists make us change the way we do things then they've won.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

and he went to Scarborough. Why?
This discussion has been closed.