Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling in 50 key LAB marginals offers a glimmer of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling in 50 key LAB marginals offers a glimmer of hope to the red team

YouGov has just produced some analysis of the views of voters in 50 seats that Labour held onto two years ago but that the Tories are targeting now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    First
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Second
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    Yeah but Lord Ashcroft asked something similar at GE2015 & that turned out be as accurate as an American war movie
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Has she yet found a problem to which the answer is not more government regulation? Its getting a bit depressing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Where are "different ethnic groups are being paid less for doing the same jobs?"
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:
    Sleazy Broken Tories On The (Land)Slide
    28%? How does this tally with the doorstep reaction we are hearing from all over the country?
    IMO in the ballpark. Likely to overstate Labour on election day. Presently looking at :

Con 44-46% .. Lab 25-27% .. LibDem 10-12% .. UKIP 3-4%
    Doesn't that leave too much for SNP+Others (taking your centre points)?

I'm looking at a slightly higher Labour vote, something like:

Con 46%, Lab 28%, LD 12%, UKIP 4%
    Hi Nabbers .... I wouldn't argue too much about your numbers. Small margins here and there.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Theresa keeps on producing these policies which I like!

And yet I still (probably) won't vote Conservative.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Has she yet found a problem to which the answer is not more government regulation? Its getting a bit depressing.
    Can someone please give her membership of the Selsdon Group.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Theresa will have you attending diversity classes soon.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Do me a lemon.
  • Options
    It seems to me that the majority of Brits have moved onto a more Presidential style system and don't really pay much, if any, attention to their constituency. Scotland might be an exception for obvious reasons.

When we have central campaigns constantly covered by our national media spending £19m and local campaigns spending £10K if they are lucky that is hardly surprising. If the constituency question was important we would have more Lib Dem MPs than we do including some useful ones like Steven Webb. But we don't.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It is amusing to see the contrast between the perception of Theresa May (especially amongst her political opponents, who try to claim she's leading an extreme right-wing government), and the reality, which is that she's more a Heath-style interventionist and well to the left of Cameron and Osborne.

Alternatively, she's just cynically trying to hoover up votes from three-quarters of the political spectrum, but that doesn't strike me as remotely plausible; I think she's entirely genuine in her wish to use government power to address inequality and discrimination, and believes it will be effective. Much like the Blairites.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Right everyone, we need to work out which racial group you are in to be able to submit our government return.

Will all Jews please go and stand in the corner over there, all blacks there, South Asians over there....
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:
    No matter how trying Theresa gets you always need to remember what the alternative is. My empathy with Americans choosing between Clinton and Trump is growing.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Apart from the above, the wasted vote comes in. The East of England is rich in UKIP votes from the 2015 GE.

If we assume that 78% of the transfers from UKIP [ about 66% in total ], then the Tories will receive a huge number of votes.

They will not gain a single seat from Labour. 1 from UKIP. That's it.

London also will not follow national swings.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    TOPPING said:

Right everyone, we need to work out which racial group you are in to be able to submit our government return.

Will all Jews please go and stand in the corner over there, all blacks there, South Asians over there....
    It is why we need diversity officers. The government lays down rules and someone has the responsibility for following and monitoring them.

25 years ago the NHS was quite dodgy on equal opportunities, but those days are gone. The exception is higher management, who are disproportionately white British.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    Theresa is rapidly becoming the Tories' female Tony Blair:

'I have taken from my party everything they thought they believed in, I have stripped them of their core beliefs. What keeps them together is success and power'

How much longer will the Tory Right be able to stomach this sort of thing? Surely someone will break ranks soon and noisily defect to UKIP.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yeah especially when I want to go stand in the English corner.

This country gave me a fantastic education, job opportunities and earning potential so long as I worked hard.

My skin colour nor my notional religion have ever been a bar.

I know I'm getting paid a very good salary without stuff like this.

The Race Relations Act of the 60s and 70s did their jobs.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Apart from the above, the wasted vote comes in. The East of England is rich in UKIP votes from the 2015 GE.

If we assume that 78% of the transfers from UKIP [ about 66% in total ], then the Tories will receive a huge number of votes.

That sounds good for Labour (if not having much to lose can be good) but it only really helps if the Tories do disproportionately well in East of England at the cost of areas where there is much to gain.

The evidence so far is that, excluding London, the Tories are doing best where there is most to gain and slightly less well otherwise. Even this Yougov analysis suggests that the swing in Labour's 50 marginals is greater than the average swing, albeit by a modest amount.
  • Options

'I have taken from my party everything they thought they believed in, I have stripped them of their core beliefs. What keeps them together is success and power'

How much longer will the Tory Right be able to stomach this sort of thing? Surely someone will break ranks soon and noisily defect to UKIP.
    She's probably counting on it. Like Blair she recognises that the centre ground is where the big prizes are. Someone going off moaning she is too moderate would be like catnip. Might even be in Lynton's plans.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Congratulations on surpassing @SeanT as the sites foremost fiction writer ....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It is why we need diversity officers. The government lays down rules and someone has the responsibility for following and monitoring them.

25 years ago the NHS was quite dodgy on equal opportunities, but those days are gone. The exception is higher management, who are disproportionately white British.
    25 years ago (or thereabouts) you could watch Love Thy Neighbour on the tellybox. Attitudes change and my belief is that in the vast majority of cases today in the UK, race isn't taken into account when hiring or paying people.

(Unless they are Polish plumbers vs locals.)
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

TOPPING said:

This country gave me a fantastic education, job opportunities and earning potential so long as I worked hard.

As I understand it (based on similar questions asked of pupils at school) you are whatever ethnic group you self-describe as.
    On the substance of this idea I am instinctively against it, but I would like to know what problem is it trying to solve?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

TOPPING said:

My guess would be that Asian backgrounds are heavily over represented for doctors.
  • Options
    As a Lib Dem I have to say that having been canvassing in a safe Tory seat where UKIP are standing aside I see nothing but a Tory tsunami. Voters aren't interested in anything other than leadership...if Mugabe had been standing he'd have won here
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

That sounds good for Labour (if not having much to lose can be good) but it only really helps if the Tories do disproportionately well in East of England at the cost of areas where there is much to gain.

The evidence so far is that, excluding London, the Tories are doing best where there is most to gain and slightly less well otherwise. Even this Yougov analysis suggests that the swing in Labour's 50 marginals is greater than the average swing, albeit by a modest amount.
    On the basis of the first question. But , in marginals, voters will be visited and re-visited and leafleted. They will know and will be informed about their constituency situation.

But, above all, remember LABOUR CANNOT WIN.

So you can vote Labour without worrying that the old Marxist will get in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337

Yeah but Lord Ashcroft asked something similar at GE2015 & that turned out be as accurate as an American war movie

That's right. But as in other areas of statistics, a sample of 1 is unreliable. Was the outcome an effect of the expected national close race, compared with the current apparent landslide? Does it make a difference whether the expected beneficiary is Lab or LD?

We honestly don't know. But something 2015 did clearly bear out was incumbency bonus, especially for first-timers. Punters should factor that in.
  • Options

As a Lib Dem I have to say that having been canvassing in a safe Tory seat where UKIP are standing aside I see nothing but a Tory tsunami. Voters aren't interested in anything other than leadership...if Mugabe had been standing he'd have won here

Is that safe Tory seat Mid Dorset ?

Get thyself down to Lewes !
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,944

That was my thought exactly when I read the header. Either Great Minds, or Fools Never....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The interesting thing with May is despite her rep in some media circles as Ukipping the Conservative Party, she is clearly building on the previous efforts of Cameron and Osborne in her attempts to appeal to BAME voters, who given their voting patterns are unlikely to have the views on race and its relevance in British society today that many Conservatives on here do.

• Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

I imagine a lot of the Tory Right will bite their tongues until we're out of the EU.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017

TOPPING said:

Not surprised you thrived in NHS. Double plus good.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

On the basis of the first question. But , in marginals, voters will be visited and re-visited and leafleted. They will know and will be informed about their constituency situation.

That is the biggest threat to a landslide in my book. If Corbyn was depicted in Nicola's pocket or vice versa no one would take it seriously. Voting Labour is looking like a free hit to the sort of messy, liberally minded thinker who can't be bothered with the detail but wants to feel good about themselves.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

As I understand it (based on similar questions asked of pupils at school) you are whatever ethnic group you self-describe as.
    On the substance of this idea I am instinctively against it, but I would like to know what problem is it trying to solve?
    She thinks she can get BAME voters.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017

It is amusing to see the contrast between the perception of Theresa May (especially amongst her political opponents, who try to claim she's leading an extreme right-wing government), and the reality, which is that she's more a Heath-style interventionist and well to the left of Cameron and Osborne.

Alternatively, she's just cynically trying to hoover up votes from three-quarters of the political spectrum, but that doesn't strike me as remotely plausible; I think she's entirely genuine in her wish to use government power to address inequality and discrimination, and believes it will be effective. Much like the Blairites.

Yes.

The small state tories - the thatcherites, shire tories and blue liberals - are going to find their tax bills going up and the state getting a fair bit more involved in their lives over the next five years.

They're not going to like it and there will be very little they can do about it.
  • Options
    FPT:

Mortimer said:

nunu said:

Lord Tebbit also used to think a homosexual shouldn't/couldn't be Home Secretary.

Yes, Lord Tebbit is such a liberal, if you compare him to Sammy Wilson.

Is your target for May to GAIN 97 seats or she's a pound shop insert name here:-
    -------------
    She has to win over 100 seats to be comparable to Dave.

I bought the Tories at 378 and I'm not looking to close out just yet.

My faith in the Tories doing well on June 8th is exclusively down to Sir Lynton, Corbyn, and brilliant Tory candidates like Aaron Bell.
    I can almost imagine a hypothetical future HoC with 600 Tory MPs, you still lauding Camborne and ignoring the ability of Mrs May to unite the right, rather than divide it..... :)
    Cameron united the right. It's just that he did it by accident and against his judgement and actions. Had he won the referendum, the Tory party would now be in a right state. By losing it, he united the Tories, made UKIP irrelevant, enabled the Lib Dems to make themselves almost as irrelevant and exposed a deep division within Labour.

Of course, he could have done all that and kept his job, by advocating Leave.

It is somewhat ironic that the Tories' biggest achievement under Cameron came entirely inadvertently and against the judgement of the leader.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

25 years ago (or thereabouts) you could watch Love Thy Neighbour on the tellybox. Attitudes change and my belief is that in the vast majority of cases today in the UK, race isn't taken into account when hiring or paying people.

Shouldn't be a problem then should there? The stats will be released, there will be no differential, and you can laugh at those of us who think Gvt should create incentives not to discriminate for over-reacting.

Or possibly we'll see that some groups are still disproportionately left out, even controlling for other factors.
  • Options
    Remember Le Pen didn't have much of a chance to anyone who was paying attention in France.
    She underperformed badly on the day (r2)
  • Options

That's right. But as in other areas of statistics, a sample of 1 is unreliable. Was the outcome an effect of the expected national close race, compared with the current apparent landslide? Does it make a difference whether the expected beneficiary is Lab or LD?

We honestly don't know. But something 2015 did clearly bear out was incumbency bonus, especially for first-timers. Punters should factor that in.
    Ashcroft did this too is not a good answer.

Was Ashcroft's and Yougov's methodology the same ? Sample sizes ? How the question was asked ?

We do not know the details. At least, I don't.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    surbiton said:

TOPPING said:

She thinks she can get BAME voters.
    She's greedy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Remember Le Pen didn't have much of a chance to anyone who was paying attention in France.
    She underperformed badly on the day (r2)

In both rounds. Her poll ranking was always too high.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Edouard Philippe is France's new prime minister. (beeb).
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

Well as an exponent of firm and stable government Robert Mugabe would certainly be on message.
  • Options
    Also, anything that upsets the Conservative Right makes me very happy indeed. Their ideas of what Britain should be like should stay on the backbenches.

Given Labour's current unelectability, and the idiocy of the membership regarding Corbyn, I don't see where the Conservative Right goes if they really dislike May's policies especially with a significant Tory majority she'll have - she clearly expects that to give her more room to do what she wants.

Given May's attitude towards the police while Home Secretary, her recent policies don't actually surprise me too much.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    edited May 2017
    Do you like May's Tories, or Corbyn's Labour? May's Tories!

What about your local Labour MP, how will you vote factoring that in? Oh, good point; I like him!

What did you do on the day? I voted Conservative. Strong and stable and all that.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

TOPPING said:

Exactly. It's a cure for which there is no known disease.
  • Options

Also, anything that upsets the Conservative Right makes me very happy indeed. Their ideas of what Britain should be like should stay on the backbenches.

Given Labour's current unelectability, and the idiocy of the membership regarding Corbyn, I don't see where the Conservative Right goes if they really dislike May's policies especially with a significant Tory majority she'll have - she clearly expects that to give her more room to do what she wants.

Given May's attitude towards the police while Home Secretary, her recent policies don't actually surprise me too much.

I suspect after the election quite a few Tory loonies will link Mrs May's changes on stop and search to the increased knife crime in London.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Ishmael_Z said:

Edouard Philippe is France's new prime minister. (beeb).

Enarque; lawyer and politician. Just what the doctor ordered.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good afternoon, everyone.

This may only be the hors d'oeuvres. Will Corbyn cling on, should he lose the General Election, and, if he does, what will Labour MPs do?

Also, first episode of a new serial, by me, is out. Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger is brimming with action and adventure, plot twists and shenanigans. And the first episode is free, so do give it a look:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Rising-Wandering-Roaming-Tiger-ebook/dp/B071LCLJYY/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is that safe Tory seat Mid Dorset ?

Get thyself down to Lewes !
    No although I will be going there - only because we visit there at weekends. The Tory there is an arse...one minute visiting disability charities, the next cutting benefits and SEN budgets. Spent a night sleeping rough to highlight then voted through policies that create and accentuate homelessness - you know, the usual hypocritical Tory shit
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ab195 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Shouldn't be a problem then should there? The stats will be released, there will be no differential, and you can laugh at those of us who think Gvt should create incentives not to discriminate for over-reacting.

Or possibly we'll see that some groups are still disproportionately left out, even controlling for other factors.
    You are un-homogenising people. As @TSE said upthread, what about someone (ie the majority I would hazard) that doesn't want to see themselves as one label or another? A likely majority who perceive themselves as British and don't want a Diversity Officer (puke) or Assistant Head of HR to start categorising their very being?

While the outcome may or may not yield interesting conclusions (may not in all likelihood), it is the process which is distasteful at best and something far nastier at worst.
  • Options

From somebody who analysed the data, and knows his stuff, Tom Lubbock, the chart at the top is his, as is the research

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/864098429802360833
    https://twitter.com/tmlbk/status/864099877411794944
    https://twitter.com/tmlbk/status/864100654331162628
  • Options

I suspect after the election quite a few Tory loonies will link Mrs May's changes on stop and search to the increased knife crime in London.
    I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see that happen.

Since we're getting a bigger Conservative majority government, my hope is that most of the incoming MPs will lean more to the liberal side of the Conservative party, as opposed to Bill Cash fraction of the party.

What's amazing is how Ed Miliband has in many ways provided the blue print for British politics going forward. If he had only recognised his talents as an ideas guy, rather than as a leader Labour most likely wouldn't be in the place it's in right now.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    What May us doing is brutally visceral and clinical. She's seen off the right and United it and is now parking her tanks on the very slightly left of centre lawn to nullify the Blairite wing of labour and the already half dead Dems. She is ensuring that the opposition have to stay hard left and therefore unelectable and leaving no room for a new progressive party.
    It is frightening in its scope and ambition.
    Be afraid, be very afraid.
  • Options

You have answered a bit. Those extra votes do not really help. The safe Tory seat is now a lot safer.

Will London, the North West behave similarly ? I think the Tories will pick lots of seats in the Midlands and Wales [ even though I have doubts about the Welsh poll ]. In the North, Labour has large enough majorities in many seats to withstand UKIP transfers. Of course, some will go.
  • Options

Well as an exponent of firm and stable government Robert Mugabe would certainly be on message.
    But does Mugabe take out the rubbish bins or is he destined just for the dustbin of history?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

She's probably counting on it. Like Blair she recognises that the centre ground is where the big prizes are. Someone going off moaning she is too moderate would be like catnip. Might even be in Lynton's plans.
    This isn't even a centrist policy, it is proper right on left wingery.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

25 or thereabouts cover 41?

7 series though, shows it was popular in its time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour

Poles aren't a different race
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

That is the biggest threat to a landslide in my book. If Corbyn was depicted in Nicola's pocket or vice versa no one would take it seriously. Voting Labour is looking like a free hit to the sort of messy, liberally minded thinker who can't be bothered with the detail but wants to feel good about themselves.
    Corbyn is indeed the ultimate Virtue Signaller's candidate.
  • Options

Since we're getting a bigger Conservative majority government, my hope is that most of the incoming MPs will lean more to the liberal side of the Conservative party, as opposed to Bill Cash fraction of the party.

What's amazing is how Ed Miliband has in many ways provided the blue print for British politics going forward. If he had only recognised his talents as an ideas guy, rather than as a leader Labour most likely wouldn't be in the place it's in right now.
    Ed Miliband was not only a good thinker and organiser, he was a likeable person. I know it.

The Tory media finished him off long before the election.

But remember LABOUR CANNOT WIN. So you can vote Labour in your constituency.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

The small state tories - the thatcherites, shire tories and blue liberals - are going to find their tax bills going up and the state getting a fair bit more involved in their lives over the next five y
    They're not going to like it and there will be very little they can do about it.

I dont like it already.
  • Options
    Guardian write up on ICM Poll says Conservative Lead in the Top 50 Labour Marginals is now 20% (52-32) vs. 10% last week (48-38). Even allowing for MOE this would fit a narrative that Labour's 30% buoyancy may be driven more by solid voters in safe seats as opposed to the marginals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/15/are-tories-workers-party-labour-polling-figures-suggest-they-are
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    What is more important to a voter - national government, and who the PM is, or their local MP? This is not 650 by-elections - it is a general election where people are choosing a government, and that of course makes the second question null and void, because Mr Corbyn is the beneficiary if enough people vote Labour.
  • Options

May will be given a free(ish) hand over the next 5 years for the Brexit negotiations. She will be trusted in this because she has Davis, Fox and Boris from the Right on the inside, and the far more dry Hammond as Chancellor. Her domestic policy will have limited effect precisely because at least 80% of the attention of HMG will be upon extraditing the UK from the EU.

But, I expect her to depart fairly soon after GE2022 if her domestic policies for that Parliament start to become an issue, by which time she will be almost 66 years old anyway.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Corbyn is indeed the ultimate Virtue Signaller's candidate.

For those who think sympathising with the IRA whilst they were murdering Britons, and inviting them into a parliament where close colleagues and their wives had just been murdered and maimed, was virtuous, yes.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

This isn't even a centrist policy, it is proper right on left wingery.
    Cheap token gestures to lock in brexit and some fiscal conservatism is a fair deal imo
  • Options
    Essexit said:

I imagine a lot of the Tory Right will bite their tongues until we're out of the EU.
    The Tory Right value national independence and sovereignty over purist free-market economics.

But, all bets are off once we're actually Out.
  • Options

Guardian write up on ICM Poll says Conservative Lead in the Top 50 Labour Marginals is now 20% (52-32) vs. 10% last week (48-38). Even allowing for MOE this would fit a narrative that Labour's 30% buoyancy may be driven more by solid voters in safe seats as opposed to the marginals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/15/are-tories-workers-party-labour-polling-figures-suggest-they-are

I've been positing this theory for weeks. It is truly the only explanation that fits with:

- my experience of talking to voters
    - the heading VI and regional subsamples
    - the comments from Labour MPs

and, of course, my desire for a decent Tory majority ;)
  • Options
    I will be going through the Tory manifesto this Thursday with a fine toothcomb.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I worked in Ireland in 2007 and was astonished to find they had an up to date version of Mind Your Language showing weekly. It felt like time warping to 1980 but with leprechauns.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

The small state tories - the thatcherites, shire tories and blue liberals - are going to find their tax bills going up and the state getting a fair bit more involved in their lives over the next five y

I dont like it already.

If her majority is big enough maybe 150 or so tory MP's could split off to form the official opposition?

This could be the result, question is who would be the LoTO? Osbourne is stepping down. Anna Soubry or Nicky Morgan prehaps.

https://tinyurl.com/kk8x645
  • Options

There's an advanced copy of it here.

http://action.labour.org.uk/page/-/A4 BIG _PRINT_ENG_LABOUR MANIFESTO_TEXT LAYOUT.pdf
  • Options

http://action.labour.org.uk/page/-/A4 BIG _PRINT_ENG_LABOUR MANIFESTO_TEXT LAYOUT.pdf
    LOL!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

More likely to sit quietly and wait for it to all go wrong and then do a Corbyn.
  • Options

FWIW, I think May is still a Conservative, and believes in a low-tax economy.

But, I think her emphasis is different and she will focus those tax cuts on low/low-middle earners, not higher earners, and shift the balance of public spending away from pensioners, and towards struggling workers/families trying to afford a home, childcare or other bills.

In other words, people in their 30s-40s, not those aged 55+, and people earning 15-35k, not those earning 50-80k.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I've been positing this theory for weeks. It is truly the only explanation that fits with:

- my experience of talking to voters
    - the heading VI and regional subsamples
    - the comments from Labour MPs

and, of course, my desire for a decent Tory majority ;)
    That C2 figure is through the roof.

Which is the most C2 Labour seat in England ?
  • Options

isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I worked in Ireland in 2007 and was astonished to find they had an up to date version of Mind Your Language showing weekly. It felt like time warping to 1980 but with leprechauns.
    Even in this century we had Little Britain, which played heavily on racial stereotypes. I am sure Walliams and Lucas would defend themselves by saying they were being ironic, but so did the makers of Mind Your Language and Til Death Do Us Part.

Actually I find the most distasteful character in Little Britain to be Ann the mentally ill patient. How did they get away with that?
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Even in this century we had Little Britain, which played heavily on racial stereotypes. I am sure Walliams and Lucas would defend themselves by saying they were being ironic, but so did the makers of Mind Your Language and Til Death Do Us Part.

Actually I find the most distasteful character in Little Britain to be Ann the mentally ill patient. How did they get away with that?
    Not allowed to talk to Isam but not a partisan point. He's absolutely right. Little Britain was pretty awful and the mentally ill character was just beyond the pale. I find Walliams and Lucas waspish to the point of being misanthropic.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Whilst we all obsess over the details...

NONE of the top 10 most read BBC news stories are related to the general election.

None.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2017
    Looking at single Labour constituencies I'd suggest Edinburgh South is well worth a bet. A three way marginal with the Tories too far out to be realistic challengers and the SNP leaking votes to the Tories. Add Labour's incumbency and an even money bet on the last Labour MP in Scotland looks very good value

Labour Ian Murray 19,293 39.1 +4.4
    SNP Neil Hay 16,656 33.8 +26.1
    Conservative Miles Briggs 8,626 17.5 -4.1
    Scottish Green Phyl Meyer 2,090 4.2 +2.2
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

LOL!
    I suspect a fine-tooth comb might work better than a fine toothcomb (this is in Mother Tongue IIRC)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ed Miliband was not only a good thinker and organiser, he was a likeable person. I know it.

The Tory media finished him off long before the election.

But remember LABOUR CANNOT WIN. So you can vote Labour in your constituency.
    I like Ed, but in terms of image he was never going to be electable.

That said, the press were absolutely ridiculous in the way they depicted him - 'Red Ed' etc. Miliband was a metropolitan liberal leftie, he wasn't a Marxist.
  • Options

FWIW, I think May is still a Conservative, and believes in a low-tax economy.

But, I think her emphasis is different and she will focus those tax cuts on low/low-middle earners, not higher earners, and shift the balance of public spending away from pensioners, and towards struggling workers/families trying to afford a home, childcare or other bills.

In other words, people in their 30s-40s, not those aged 55+, and people earning 15-35k, not those earning 50-80k.
    She's a socially liberal conservative, just look at her introducing same sex marriage or changes on stop and search.

But elsewhere I have my doubts on her broader conservativism.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Looking at single Labour constituencies I'd suggest Edinburgh South is well worth a bet. A three way marginal with the Tories too far out to be realistic challengers and the SNP leaking votes to the Tories. Add Labour's incumbency and an even money bet on the last Labour MP in Scotland looks very good value

Labour Ian Murray 19,293 39.1 +4.4
    SNP Neil Hay 16,656 33.8 +26.1
    Conservative Miles Briggs 8,626 17.5 -4.1
    Scottish Green Phyl Meyer 2,090 4.2 +2.2

Labour will win Ed South. The question is Ed North and Leigh. And, East Lothian.

If you go to the Ashcroft survey more voters in Ed North and Leigh want JC as PM than TM. Not a usual result.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not allowed to talk to Isam but not a partisan point. He's absolutely right. Little Britain was pretty awful and the mentally ill character was just beyond the pale. I find Walliams and Lucas waspish to the point of being misanthropic.
    I just found the humour of Little Britain immature.

The Fast Show had some funny scenes, but was very repetitive, which was supposedly part of the joke, but I found slightly lazy. Catherine Tate was similar.

Both to some extent leveraged Theresa May's strong and stable, in that if you repeat a character and its catchphrase often enough, it eventually enters the national cultural lexicon.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited May 2017

Good afternoon, everyone.

This may only be the hors d'oeuvres. Will Corbyn cling on, should he lose the General Election, and, if he does, what will Labour MPs do?

Also, first episode of a new serial, by me, is out. Wandering Phoenix and Roaming Tiger is brimming with action and adventure, plot twists and shenanigans. And the first episode is free, so do give it a look:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Rising-Wandering-Roaming-Tiger-ebook/dp/B071LCLJYY/

AH, Mr. Dancer, glad you are around as I wanted to have a word with you about that article you wrote on feasting and fasting in medieval times.

Well written as it was, and thank you for introducing me to yet another meaning for the word Misericorde, it did I fear contain a couple of very significant errors.

Holy days were, in fact, mostly times of feast when the normal strictures about abstaining from certain foods could be put aside. Echoes of this can still be heard in church calendars today where they talk about the Feast of St. Someoneorother. I know it is much to modern for you by the Battle of Agincourt was fought upon the "Feast of St. Crispin and St.Crispian" as you would have noted from Shakespeare's Henry V speech before the battle (he even mentions men feasting their neighbours yearly on the eve thereof). The strictures of Lent were probably much less demanding given that there is at least one feast day each week.

Secondly, I am afraid you are wildly out on the diet of the average English peasant (not that there was such a thing as the word is generally understood). The archaeological evidence is now very solid; the average dweller in a medieval English village ate a varied and what would nowadays be considered as a very healthy diet. Not too much meat but plenty of fish and roughage. And never mind the small ale either. There is sound evidence that wine was regularly consumed along with mead and pukka strength beer (metheglin and other spirits were also not unknown).

Back to politics, "What will Labour MPs do after the election you ask. Bugger all, I strongly suspect. I doubt any sort of rebellion will kick off because there will not be anyone prepared to lead such a thing.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

LB was utter guff tbf
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That is what I was expecting. Labour will get hammered here. Is this similar to the poll in Wales ?
This discussion has been closed.